Part II

pan 17 of 18 thumb   Part II

You know, I didn’t think we were going to have a white Christmas this year, but boy was I sure wrong.

Murphy’s Law: You will get a snow storm right before you make the long drive home in your car that sucks in snow.

pan 4 of 18 thumb   Part II

Murphy’s Law #2: Your car battery will die with a trunk full of groceries just before your party. Never jinx yourself by saying the words “ahead of schedule”. Fail.

20121223 114255 thumb   Part II

With a few hiccups aside, we actually had a great holiday. The main part was that we were together, enjoying each other’s company and slowly driving each other crazy. We laughed, ate good food, and argued over trivia games. That’s true family love. I only wish that my side of the family was there too. We can be crazy like the best of them.

Anyway, Benny sure didn’t mind the snow one bit.

pan 7 of 18 thumb   Part II

After a late breakfast and waiting for a snow plow that never arrived, we decided to get out there and shovel the driveway the old fashioned way. Shoveling is always more fun with a group, especially when you can rotate shovels and take mini breaks.

pan 10 of 18 thumb   Part II

We grabbed every shovel we could find in the garage including the kids shovels and the heavy gardening shovels. I was thankful for this unexpected exercise, even if I can’t move normally this morning.

pan 6 of 18 thumb   Part II

Benny was overseeing the project.

pan 5 of 18 thumb   Part II

Even though he’s a senior with arthritis problems, Benny was just as happy as could be out there with us, hobbling along slowly and wagging his tail.

pan 9 of 18 thumb   Part II

Meanwhile, back on the ranch the cats laughed at us through the windows.

pan 1 of 18 thumb   Part II

Sketchie guarded the gifts and Finnegan monitored the water levels of the artificial tree.

20121226 222905 thumb   Part II

After a couple hours we finished the very, very long driveway – well we finished enough that we could just squeak out our cars!

pan 18 of 18 thumb   Part II

pan 13 of 18 thumb   Part II

Even though it was tiring work, this was probably my favourite memory of the entire holiday. As my sister in law yelled out (by mistake), it was true family bondage! heh. Err…bonding.

20121227 1535101   Part II 20121227 1445182   Part II

20121227 155708 thumb   Part II

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I hope you enjoy some down time as the year draws to a close. With my manuscript due date quickly approaching I can’t say I will be doing a lot of relaxing, but I do have fun plans for New Years thankfully. Also, keep your eyes peeled for a new blog series in 2013.

I’m not sure how it’s Friday already, but enjoy the last weekend of 2012!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 28, 2012

Wait. It’s Friday?! Going back to work next week is going to be such a rude awakening… LOL!

Happy New year!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 28, 2012

Sounds like you already have a busy 2013 ahead. Good luck getting the manuscript done!

And growing up in Minnesota and then Chicago, I can relate to getting dumped on with snow just when you don’t think you’re going to, getting stuck, and always with something important in the truck and there is no such thing as ahead of schedule in the winter weather. Glad things worked out and you had a nice holiday :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 28, 2012

Way to get in that family ‘bondage’ time! ;-) Looks like fun even if it was hard work!

Sam December 28, 2012

Happy New Year Angela! So looking forward to all that is to come from you. Thanks so much for the wonderful gift that this blog is. You are appreciated!

Angela December 28, 2012

Aw, thank you for reading! I appreciate it.

Lacey @ My Boring Closet December 28, 2012

all that snow is so beautiful! Happy New Year!

Pam December 28, 2012

BEAUTIFUL photos Angela! You really captured the beauty of winter in these ones. Glad you had a chance to relax and have fun with your extended family – lots of fun memories made. Merry Christmas!!

Kimberly December 28, 2012

You are such a great photographer!! And your recipes are always amazing! Hope you realize how gifted and talented you are (I’m sure you do!!). Thank you for sharing your talents with us! :)

Nicole December 28, 2012

Beautiful photos. All the snow in Wisconsin has helped me stay put to get some home projects done.
I had a dog (Murphy – golden/lab mix) who loved the snow. He would roll around making doggie snow angels!

Tammy Root December 28, 2012

What manuscript??? Do tell. :)

P.S. I love Benny.

Carie December 28, 2012

She’s writing a cookbook!

Tammy Root December 28, 2012

That I knew! :) I guess I didn’t know she was so close to writing it up! Thanks Carie.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2012

Isn’t this snow crazy!?! I couldn’t believe it when I saw how much had come down on Boxing Day. I’m glad you guys had plenty of bonding time (or bondage as far as your sister in law is concerned!!) I’m excited to see this new series in 2013! :) Happy last Friday!

Brittany December 28, 2012

Oh oh oh! What is that delicious-looking chickpea magic you have in your lap there?

Melissa Sudds December 28, 2012

omg benny is sooo cute!!! and your photos are amazing!

Kimmy December 28, 2012

It sounds like you guys had a nice holiday (despite some setbacks which you still manage to sound positive and keep a good sense of humour about ;p).
Love the pics. And your sister-in-law is funny!
Can’t wait for the cookbook!!!!!

Amanda December 28, 2012

Nothing like a little family bondage to make the holidays bright!

Emily December 28, 2012

Love the pictures – Merry Christmas!

Steph @ Steph Stays Slim December 28, 2012

It’s always the unexpected that makes for great memories…but dang, that’s along driveway!! I love your sis-in-laws ‘bondage’ comment….did someone give her Fifty Shades for Christmas?!

Bek @ Crave December 28, 2012

Oh my! You’re amazing that you can keep so positive after that- i would have falled away at the seams haha. Fantastic family memories and stories right there :P

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 29, 2012

Now I remember why I moved from Buffalo to California! I do not miss the snow! I can recall as a kid having the car get stuck in snow on Christmas Eve, several years in a row!! The Christmas tree photo with the cat is gorgeous!! Happy Holidays Angela!!

Karen December 29, 2012

Love the pics! Especially of Sketchie inside lol.. Can’t wait for your cookbook! :)

Lana December 29, 2012

Great pics as always, how cute is Benny?! Your blog has been a real inspiration to me in 2012 and I am looking forward to more in 2013 :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2012

Thank you Lana, I appreciate it!

a farmer in the dell December 29, 2012

your photos are gorgeous! I totally agree that shoveling can be sort of fun/great exercise if you are with the right company! Happy new year!

Kirsty December 29, 2012

Wow soooooo much snow…
Awwwww bless such a cute doggie
The cats look all cosy inside ;) xx

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) December 29, 2012

That actually looks like it was a blast! I love those moments, even though they’re fun “in disguise.”

When my brother and sister-in-law got married, they had their wedding reception outdoors under a beautiful tent. It was a hot summer’s day and all of a sudden a HUGE downpour came. The people all along the edge of the tent – including the wedding party at the head table – were getting soaked. So the entire group of attendees got up and rushed to roll down and secure the sides of the tent. Everyone laughed and had a lot of fun with it, even while we got wet. It’s amazing how those kind of moments pull people together, and awesome memories are created.

Have a phenomenal New Year!

Carolina December 29, 2012

Hey Angela, lovely photos :)
I forgot, is your cookbook supposed to cone out in 2013 or 14? Crossing my fingers for 2013!! :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 29, 2012

These are some of the best Christmas/Winter photos that I have seen in the blog world lately…especially the doggie ones! ;)

Jo@ yankeerancher.com December 30, 2012

I’ve been a veggie for close to 40 years now. I LOVE your recipes and I look forward to purchasing your new cookbook! Congrats!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012

Thank you! I appreciate it so much. :)

Anne Weber-Falk December 30, 2012

This is one of the nicest posts. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

suzanne December 30, 2012

Sounds and looks like a wonderful holiday with family – thanks so much for sharing. You are an incredible photographer – I saw a beautiful Christmas card the other day – a close up of an iced over tree branch – simple but gorgeous – it reminded me of your photos. You have many gifts…looking forward to 2013 and all OSG has to bring! Happy holidays Angela!

LeeAnn December 30, 2012

My jeans are ready for me to bid farewell to Christmas gingerbread cookies, but my mouth is not, so I’ve been whipping up your gingerbread pumpkin oats and gingerbread smoothies. Thanks for such great recipes all year round. When I count my blessings, your blog is among them. Best wishes for 2013 — I’m excited to see what else you’ll be coming up with!

Amy B December 30, 2012

Happy holidays! I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, good luck on the cookbook…I can’t wait for it! For Christmas, I made “My Favourite Granola” for gifts. Funny how it didn’t stretch as far as I planned, it was so good I couldn’t stop eating it! My favorite dish to take to gatherings now is the roasted butternut squash with kale, everyone loves it. And I have your spice red lentil, tomato, and kale soup on the stove right now. Thanks for every recipe you share!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012

hah granola never lasts me that long either. ;) I’m so glad you are enjoying the recipes!

Lia @Sojourning December 30, 2012

Old fashioned ways bring people together better than anything I’ve found. I’m really glad you had a nice time with everyone and got to be out in the snow too! I hope you have a hapy New Year and I’m looking forward to this new series.

Adam December 30, 2012

Those pictures make me miss the snow…until I get to the shoveling picture. Then it just made me tired. :)

Renee December 31, 2012

Yes Angela, please do tell which recipe that is for the amazing looking chickpea salad that was photographed. Not only is it so pretty it looks amazing and I want to eat it!!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012

Hey Renee, It’s on the blog – I think it’s called Back on Track wheatberry salad or something to that effect!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen January 1, 2013

There’s never a dull moment when family bondage is involved! It looks like y’all had a lovely and wonderful Christmas! I can’t believe all of that snow!!!!

Crista January 5, 2013