2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

Here is a sobering fact to start the work week: Home Alone 2 was created 20 years ago. Twenty.

culkin home alone scream thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

I know some of you reading weren’t born before 1992, but for the rest of us…..ahhh, indeed!

That means, Home alone 1 was created 22 years ago.

Ummm….stop that. Stop it right now.

Eric and I were innocently watching our beloved Home Alone 2 last night when some kid came on and ruined the whole thing by telling us how far away we are from 10 years old now.  lalala la la la lalala la la. I probably would’ve guessed the movie was 10 years old. I’m in time warp, clearly. Eric is also in denial. Live on, VHS, live on.

Sobering fact number two: It’s December 3rd!

Did you wake up Saturday morning in a bit of a shock? December always sneaks up on us, much like the twenty year anniversary of Home Alone 2. What can ya do. It’s time to get down to business!

I’ve put together my annual holiday gift ideas post highlighting some of my favourite gifts all in one cozy spot. It’s always worth repeating that I do not have an affiliation with any of the brands listed below nor are any of the links affiliates. I simply enjoy these products/services and think you might too!

Let’s begin, shall we?

1. Weck Canning Jars {Crate & Barrel, $3-5}

These jars are my go-to for gift-giving my homemade nut butters. They are just so darn cute and come in mini 4.5oz all the way up to 26oz.

weck canning jars thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

2. Oven Thermometre {try Kitchen Stuff Plus or Canadian Tire, $5}

Do you reeeeally know the true temperature of your oven? And do you reeeeally think it’s preheated correctly when it beeps to tell you it is? Odds are it’s not. My oven temp is way off so I keep this handy guy hanging in there at all times. Once you know, you can’t un-know, if you know what I mean. Find them at Canadian Tire, Kitchen Stuff Plus, or other home good stores. This would make a great stocking stuffer for the home cook!

images thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

3. Glass Storage Containers – oven and freezer safe {Crate & Barrel, $12-21}

These glass containers are 3 in 1 – as the website says, they go from “oven to table to freezer”!

refrigerator storage containers with silicone lids thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

4. Subscription to VegNews Magazine {via mail delivery or tree-free online magazine, $20 in US, $40 Canada}

My thoughtful father-in-law subscribed me to this magazine last year and I must say I have enjoyed every single issue. It’s a great gift for vegetarians, vegans, or those just looking to live a healthy, compassionate lifestyle.

images thumb1   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

5. Vanilla Bean Paste {Williams Sonoma, $19}

A lovely hybrid of vanilla extract and vanilla beans. This is a special occasion vanilla perfect to whip out for your holiday baking or stir into that special bowl of oatmeal…

ING vanilla bean paste sql thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

6. Zester/Grater {Microplane, $22}

Any time I need to grate fresh nutmeg, chocolate, limes, or lemons…I’m using this bad boy!

Please note: I am not responsible for your lost fingernail tips. Eek.

microplane zester grater 40020 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

7) 10-piece Glass Nesting Bowl Set {Crate & Barrel, $37}

Is there anything better than a nesting bowl set? I had no idea that’s what they are called, but it’s good to know. It’s perfect for the neat freak who is short on storage. That’s me, minus the neat freak part. Truth be told, I have some nesting bowls and I somehow manage to un-nest them in my cabinet. It drives Eric craaazy.

bowls 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

8. Anthropologie – various {Shown: Pitcher, $28; earrings, $32; Umbrella, $30}

Doesn’t Anthro have the coolest gifts? It’s always one of the first places I look when I need a unique gift for a friend. Whatever you do, check out Anthro’s sale room before you buy anything full price! You can score some amazing deals up to 70% off.

anthro thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

9. Give back and gift a Tree! {Ontario residents try Trees Ontario, $25 and up)

Why not give back to our wonderful earth during the holidays? Trees Ontario will plant 10 trees for a $25 donation. You can donate them in someone’s honour too. We are doing this this year since we are purchasing a real tree and thought it would be a good tradition to start. If you are outside of Ontario, simply google a similar organization in your own area. There are lots!

tree planting1 web 0505 mc 400x300 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

[source]

10. Soy Candles {Pacifica, $22}

I spotted these at Whole Foods and promptly fell in love with the Thai Lemongrass scent (among others). I hear the Mediterranean Fig is a great winter scent, but I haven’t tried it yet. You can read about how Brook and Billy started the Pacifica business here…it’s pretty inspiring how committed they are to the environment!

thai lemongrass soy candle 0 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

11. Sponsor a Farm Animal {various locations, see here for a huge listing}

Farm sanctuaries rescue, rehabilitate, nourish, and provide love and shelter to farm animals who had a rough start in life. Your sponsorship will help them care for and feed the animal giving it the life and respect it so deserves.

Farm Sanctuary Dorothy and Chico web res CREDIT Jean Liebenberg thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

12. Green Pans

I own a few Green pots and I love that they are an eco-friendly alternative to common chemicals found on traditional non-stick bakeware. I have the casserole, covered saucepan, and a skillet. I believe Costco sells the skillets in packs of two, if I’m not mistaken.

pan 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

13. Vegan shop owners on Etsy – choose from over 77,000 items!

If you are stuck on what to buy the vegan in your life (or anyone for that matter!) just head on over to Etsy. Bonus points for being able to search for local shop owners and support small business owners.

etsy 1 of 1 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

14. Glass D’harma Glass Straws, $10

Want to know the product question I am asked the most on Oh She Glows?

—> Where did you get your glass straws?

Yes, that’s the one. I’ve been asked it so much I added it to my FAQ page. I was sent the product to review a few years ago and have been using them in my daily smoothies ever since. Can we please ditch the plastic straws once and for all?

IMG 2817 2 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

15. Vegan food gifts

Why not give the gift of food to your loved ones this year by making food gifts yourself or by supporting local vegan bakeries? I gave a jar of my homemade Nutella as a hostess gift this weekend and it was a fun gift to give a chocolate lover.

homemade nutella vegan rawtella 8265 thumb   2012 Holiday Gift Ideas

Well, that’s a wrap. I hope you’ve enjoyed this gift guide! Until next year…

Don’t forget to let me know below what’s on your gift list!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 3, 2012

Stop! You’re making me feel old. There are people born after 1992 that are old enough to read blogs?! ;)

Love this list… And I have a lot of it! I posted mine today too. It makes me feel festive despite the fact that its going to be 72 degrees today. Not complaining!

Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen December 3, 2012

Thanks for this great list! I have been meaning to get myself a VegNews subscription for a while, and it didn’t occur to me to give it as a gift too! Also, I LOVE the vanilla bean paste idea, what a lovely gift!

Shana December 3, 2012

What I great list! I have another question about the straws. How do you clean them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

Good question :) The key is to rinse them immediately after use (if you let it dry the smoothie can get stuck in the straw). So I rinse them with water and then pop them right into the dishwasher (in the utensil basket) until it’s ready to be turned on. Works fine for me. The company also has a cleaning brush you can purchase for 5 bucks, but I don’t have one.

Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 3, 2012

There is actually a tiny brush available that can be used for cleaning them. Also works well on the big straws for the tumblers.

Jo (livingmintgreen) December 3, 2012

Hahaha my husband & I watched HA2 last night too. We both think 2 is better than the first. Agree? :D (and how badly did you want to go to that toy store as a kid?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

The second one is way better than I remembered it to be! They did a good job. Not sure if I have seen any after that though.
And yes that toy store was my DREAM! Kinda still is actually.. :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 3, 2012

That VegNews magazine sounds great! I may have to look into that as a gift for myself ;).

I also love the idea of sponsoring a farm animal. What a great gift idea!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh December 3, 2012

Wellll thanks for making me feel like an old hag! HA!! I keeed, I keed!

Vanilla bean paste is the best thing ever. I sub it for extract whenever I can! It’s a kaPOW to the taste buds! Now I’m going to go break out my walker.

Terri December 3, 2012

One option if you’re getting a real tree is to pick it up from Ikea — this is what we did. A portion from the sale goes to Tree Canada, and you get a $20 coupon to use at the store in the new year. http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/tro/christmas_trees.html

Thanks for sharing!

Lesley December 3, 2012

I always look into subscribing to VegNews, but for Canadians, the price is actually $40 for 6 issues!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

I thought it was the same as US, but now I see the fine print. I’ll add this in to clarify.

Averie @ Averie Cooks December 3, 2012

I have a giveaway going on right now for that vanilla!! N-M vanilla is the best! Well, I make my own vanilla extract too but the N-M is so awesome. Love the stuff!

And the glass jars, oven thermometer, I am a fan, too. Calibrating the oven and checking temps is so important to ensure great results.

Lovely roundup!

Brittany December 3, 2012

Pacifica candles are the BEST IN THE WORLD. EVER. I am addicted to them and everything else Pacifica does! Excellent list!!

Jamie @ StudioEats December 3, 2012

Um I love ALL of these ideas… for myself :) haha.

LeeAnn December 5, 2012

Thats what I was thinking too!

Eating 4 Balance December 3, 2012

What? I’m only 18 and I didn’t even realize that Home Alone is older than I am. That’s scary. Thankfully I was alive when the third one was made, so I don’t quite so young and out-of-it.

These are some awesome ideas for Christmas. My parents have actually been asking what to get me, and now I have some other things to add to my long list. The oven thermometer is probably my favorite item on that whole list because I just *know* our oven does not heat like it’s supposed to. Also adding to my list is a julienne peeler from your “How to Spiralize Vegetables” post. I NEED that in my life :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

Oh yea I meant to put that on the list too!

My oven sounds like yours. I find it takes a good 15 mins for it to reach temp, longer for higher heats.

Silvia @ skinny jeans food December 3, 2012

I have to get some of that vanilla bean PASTE! and the vegan purses….!

But a black microplane? Check out these…. Pink!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

i love those colours! I wish we had SLT in Canada.

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ December 3, 2012

I love those jars. I wish I could find some at that price, here in London are much more expensive :(

Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 3, 2012

I am 20, but I never really thought about how old that movie was…interesting!

Shundara@ SavyNaturalista December 3, 2012

Glass Straws,vanilla bean paste, homemade nutella I now have some great gifts I can get my friends and family and I know what I want from this list. Now all I need is another food processor…

A Fine Balance December 3, 2012

Do you sell your homemade nutella? and what 20 years? I cant believe home alone is that old….or yet…that I am.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

heh Im sorry I dont sell it, but maybe I should go into the business! I can only imagine how many food processors Id burn through. ;)

Lois December 4, 2012

What’s your fave food processor, Angela? Speaking of 20 years, my vintage Braun (bought when I lived in Toronto) is a little older and going to bite the dust soon. So bummed Braun is no longer manufacturing here in the US, or Canada. KitchenAid or Cuisinart seem to be the only options.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

Hey Lois, I use a 12 cup Cuisinart processor :) So far Im quite happy with it!

Stephanie December 3, 2012

I know some men would like things on this list but it is geared to females. While it is FAB I always have such a harder time buying for the men in my life like my Dad!! Any suggestions??

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

omg I hear you. I am the WORST at buying for my dad. He always gets some lame dad looking sweater and a frame with a recent family photo. daughter fail. lol

kim@hungryhealthygirl December 3, 2012

Love your gift guide! You’re right Anthropologie has some of the best gifts, I especially like all of their foodie stuff. I sure would love for Santa to leave me a Vitamix!

Kate December 3, 2012

I legit feel like I watched Home Alone in the theater, like, last Christmas. Unbelievable. The soundtrack has been making my commute to work much more festive recently too!

Love your gift guide! This might sound a little odd, but I’m actually going to add some of these to MY list – people have been getting after me for one, but seriously. As an adult the idea of creating a Christmas list is more tedious than anything else! I’ll be adding a Farm Sanctuary sponsorship for sure! The bourbon vanilla paste may need a home in my cupboard too…

Allysia December 3, 2012

Man that’s crazy! I had no idea I was only 5ish when I first watched those movies. I’m not sure if I should be thanking you for pointing it out, ha ha! And I haven’t really thought about Christmas much yet (though I really should), but a lot of these look like presents I’d like to have!

Adrienne @ Boysenberries December 3, 2012

Can you recommend a cookbook for some new to vegan/vegetarian cooking?

stephanie December 3, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your gift ideas. I was thinking as I was reading them, Yes I want those, yes I want that, yes this is all really great. I think you’re in my head :) Plus I really enjoyed that you put Etsy on here too. There are so many wonderful artists that have amazing ideas and have made some really great stuff! I am slightly biased as I have an etsy page too…shameless plug here http://www.etsy.com/stephaniehandmade I only have a few things, but there are so MANY more artists that have taken the time to create some really nice items too! Loving your blog like always and wondering when that book of yours is coming out and how the process is going so far!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

Hey Stephanie, I don’t think your link worked…can you send it again?

Thanks for asking about the book! It’s coming along slowly but surely. The hardest part has been the photography!! Im probably going to have to reshoot so many photos at the last minute because I am not happy with a lot of them from earlier on. Im excited to have the book in my hands in 2014 though! It will all be worth it im sure.

daniella December 3, 2012

Ha! I watched that movie too, and thought the same thing! That kid was super annoying, lol… hard to believe that was so long ago! What a classic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

I think many of us were watching hah. Did you also watch The Grinch Who Stole Christmas after (with Jim Carrey)??

Daniella December 3, 2012

I recorded it to watch closer to Christmas :)

sarah December 3, 2012

Another great vegan candle company is A Scent of Scandal. I love these! http://www.ascentofscandal.com/

Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} December 3, 2012

I love all these gadgets! So much for gifts, I just want them all myself :)

Sarah @ Yogi in Action December 3, 2012

Wow- I definitely want one of those glass straws for myself! I hate throwing away my plastic straw every day.

Definitely going to be buying a few of these things. Thanks for the ideas!

caren @ voodies December 3, 2012

I LOVE kitchen stuff plus!! Miss that store so much (almost as much as tim hortons).

I also love your idea about sponsoring an animal at the sanctuary. We do that as a part of our annual donations. It’s an awesome place….

KSPGeoff December 5, 2012

Hey Caren,

We miss you more! We are available online for all your kitchen stuff needs and ship all over North America at very reasonable rates! And, thanks to Angela for the mention, great gift guide! Especially love the animal sponsoring idea, too.

Happy holidays everyone!

Donna December 3, 2012

I love the great ideas. Here in the UK nielsen massey vanilla paste is about half the price so I’m lucky enough to be able to use it regularly, but real Canadian maple syrup is super expensive! I think top of my foody Christmas list would be a nice fancy bottle of good quality maple syrup.

Ranelle December 3, 2012

I think you should also add that you are not responsible for grated knuckles when cleaning the zester as well! Haha :) the things we do for food! & I have the glass bowls from C&B – absolutely love them!

Sarah December 3, 2012

My family spent Saturday night watching Home Alone 1&2! I have 2 girls that love those movies, but I had the same realization when I saw the date of 1990 on the 1st one! It’s crazy to think it’s been over 20 years….it makes me feel old to be able to say that! :)

Catherine December 3, 2012

OMG, those Home Alone facts make me feel quite old indeed! I love the vegan etsy shop ideas!! I will have to check some of those out. This year I’m making some gifts for my girlfriends. I’ve been very inspired by pinterest! hahah there are great diy bracelet ideas :)

stacey December 3, 2012

awesome ideas, thanks! (and just an fyi …. i had my oven serviced recently, and i talked to the technician about the temp and how its off from my portable oven thermometer. he checked the temp with his fancy schmancy gadget, and the portable thermometer was WRONG yet my oven’s internal thermometer was RIGHT! he said those little portable thingys are almost always wrong. and yes, my oven WAS preheating correctly when it beeped at me, i just didnt believe it!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

that is a scary thought! When I tested my oven initially I bought two different brands of oven thermometres just to be sure, but yes I guess they could technically both be wrong…lol

jo @ including cake December 3, 2012

Quick questions for fellow UK readers…..anyone know where I can purchase good glass straws in the UK? I’ve wanted some for ages!

Kristen Waby December 3, 2012

I would love those mixing bowls. A great gift in terms of healthy eating would be to make up prepackaged mixes for soups or spices! I also love the idea of supporting locally. I love going to ETSY as well. It feel so good to support others. I enjoy a cookie exchange with friends and family too!

lauren December 3, 2012

Blast! I just bought a bunch of stuff from Crate and Barrel, but I wish I’d seen those canning jars first! They had porcelain spoons on sale for 95 cents, which I thought was a super deal. I may have to place another order just for the jars though… Thanks for a great list.

Herbivore Triathlete December 3, 2012

I have several of those items on my list; the Weck Jars, VegNews magazine, and the glass straws! Also, anything from Crate & Barrel is awesome, in my opinion.

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife December 3, 2012

What great suggestions! I definitely want to get some new casserole dishes and those glass straws are pretty cool! Also, I love the idea of sponsoring a farm animal. So sweet :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery December 3, 2012

I bought some Dharma straws back in the spring and I absolutely love them. The set I bought came with a cleaning brush, which was immensely useful especially if you are drinking a smoothie and your thesis writing prevents you from rinsing it immediately :)

One of my other favorite things is the Lululemon vinyasa infinity scarf. It’s so soft and comfortable. I like wearing it when I travel on planes because it’s so big that I can use it as a shawl and it keeps me warm. Here’s the link: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-seasonal-accessories/Vinyasa-Scarf-Luon-Light?cc=4528&sli=1

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 3, 2012

That is so pretty, I love scarfs

Michelle@Peachy Palate December 3, 2012

I have that Vanilla Bean Paste! The exact one…so random that they stock it in the supermarkets here! I have the extract version too! :) I watch home alone 1 and 2 EVERY Christmas without fail…3 and 4 just don’t live up to the originals!

Page 1 of 212»