Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 25, 2012

twix recipe vegan-7480

muhahauha

I don’t know why, but that just felt appropriate to open with being 6 days from Halloween and all.

Evil cackles are the perfect compliment to many situations, don’t you think?

Such as:

– When you’re bored at work and want to make coworkers think you’re up to something (aren’t you always??) See Dwight Kurt Schrute III.

– Ditto above, but for your significant other/family members.

– Obviously, evil scheming is one of them, which I did lots of as a teenager with my sister Kristi and girlfriends. (Don’t worry sis, your secrets are safe with me…..unless I ever write a novel. mhauhauha!)

– When you hide behind a wall and then jump out to scare your pet or husband (not that I do this or anything…)

– When you send your spouse to work with salty cookies…on April Fools Day

– When kids ring your doorbell on Halloween

– When you make a killer dessert recipe

When to avoid witch cackles: going through airport security or customs, when the officiate asks if anyone objects to the marriage, in church, after serving food to your guests at a dinner party (Halloween excepted), near any newborn, during a GRE, at a job interview.

Use at your own risk.

Last week, a couple of you asked me if I could revamp my Vegan Twix bar recipe. I like the way you think because I was already planning on doing so! The original recipe was very tasty and decadent, but the shortbread crust was fairly crumbly and contained a ton of vegan butter. It also required baking the crust and making caramel from scratch.

For this version, I made the recipe lower in fat, gluten-free, faster, and improved the crust. After the Homemade Rolos were such a hit with many of you, I knew I wanted to use date caramel again. The crust ended up driving me a bit crazy though. I used oat flour, agave, and just a touch of coconut oil. While it held together perfectly it was way too dense and the flavour was too earthy for a Twix recipe.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7452

I also knew I didn’t want to make a soft, fluffy crust. To me, a Twix bar has to have a crisp crust! Then Eric suggested I use rice crispies for the crust. Genius. It’s easy, fast, and just a few ingredients. Most of all, you don’t bake the crust which saves a lot of time. The crispy texture turned out to be the perfect compliment to the gooey date caramel and hardened chocolate coating. I don’t think I need to explain any further…

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7436 vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7441 vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7447vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7445

You can thank Eric for this one. (He says he will accept boxes of Homemade Twix bars.) ;)

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7470

Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Email, print, or text this recipe

Yield: ~16-18 bars

for the crust:

• 1 & 1/4 cup GF crispy rice cereal (I use Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup*
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the date caramel: (adapted from Homemade Rolos)

• 200-210 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 1 & 1/4 cup pitted dates)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tbsp almond milk, or more if needed
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the chocolate coating:

• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)

1. Line an 8-inch pan with two pieces of parchment paper. In a small pot, add the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until combined. Add pinch of salt. Pour into a large bowl with rice crisp and stir well.

2. Scoop the rice crisp mixture into pan. Wet hands slightly and then spread the mixture evenly and press down firmly until smooth. Place in freezer while you make the date caramel.

3. Soak dates in water until soft (only if necessary) and drain. Place pitted dates, peanut butter, milk, and salt in the food processor and process until almost smooth and a big ball forms.

4. Spread caramel layer over top of the crust until it’s as smooth and even as you can get it. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.

5. Melt the chocolate and optional coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Spread chocolate on top of the caramel and place in the freezer for about 3 minutes only.

6. Remove from freezer (chocolate should be slightly firm, but not completely set) and slice into rows and then in half. Freeze again until set for about 10 minutes. Store in fridge or freezer.

Substitution Notes: 1) The brown rice syrup can probably be subbed for honey (if you include honey in your diet). Agave won’t hold together as well since it’s not as “tacky”, but it will hold together when kept in the freezer. It will fall apart at room temperature though. 2) You can sub peanut butter for sunflower seed butter as a nut-free option.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies-7464

I wrapped up two at a time in orange candy wrappers (from Bulk Barn) and secured them with kitchen twine. Not spooky, but so darn cute and festive.

Shundara October 25, 2012 at 11:58 am

Wow I am drooling twix that are easy and healthy I am gonna half to make these and take them into work they would defiantly love them!! :)

Tanya @ playful and hungry October 26, 2012 at 3:23 am

You really want to share? ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 26, 2012 at 5:48 am

Lol that was my first thought! I would need to get them out of the house for my sanity but I don’t know if I could bare to part with them :)

kris October 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

twix are my favorite!! mmm

Tegan K. October 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I will be making these tonight! My husband will be so excited!

Sharon Vincello October 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Love this DIY version! Thanks for creating it! Now I have something to share with my friends that is a healthy version of the gmo-laden original. I am such a chocolate lover, I can’t wait to try this.

Andrea @ Vegvacious October 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Now we’re talkin’! It’s been sooooo long since I’ve had a Twix bar and I used to just love them when I was a kid! I’ve been drooling over your rolos, but I think this recipe has moved to #1 on my ‘must make’ list!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The Twix are my new #1 too with the rolos a close second. :) Or – maybe you could even make the Rolos but mix in some rice crisp in the caramel? Anyway, enjoy!

Ania October 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Yum! Twix bars were always my favorite, so I can’t wait to try this out!

[email protected] October 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Those look absolutely delicious!! I will definitely be making these. I love that you used dates for the “caramel” layer.

Joanna October 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm

You are so creative and festive. I love it!

Cara's Healthy Cravings October 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I am just about to make these now, I will let you know how they turn out!
Thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yes please do :)

Cara's Healthy Cravings October 26, 2012 at 7:16 am

I made them with great success! Your method is flawless.
I added some more pb and some cocoa powder to the date caramel (just because)….great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

So happy to hear that Cara!! Thanks for letting me know. :) Enjoy

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Great minds think alike, my friend! I just posted Vegan + Gluten-free No Bake Twix Bars yesterday. They were a huge hit in this house.

I love the idea of using rice crisps for the base! Also, thanks for the tip on where to get those candy wrappers. I ended up buying muffin cups and then ironing them flat. Heh, it worked… but still.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm

The Mr will FLIP for these!! Twix are his favorite!

Thanks for the notes on substitutions too. Muahahaha! (I don’t think I used that appropriately, I need to work on that)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

hah I’ll take it!

Christina October 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try. What are your thoughts on using maple syrup instead of brown rice syrup. Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Hey Christina, I did a quick trial this morning using agave and it would only stay intact when chilled, at room temp it breaks apart – I expect maple syrup would be the same, if not a bit more so. It just depends if you mind that or not! Let me know how it goes.

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa October 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Yum! I have never been a Twix fan, but I think this homemade version could convert me!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Angela they look amazing! Both Twix and Rolo are some of my fave candies! I love that you worked on the crust and revamped and got it to where you wanted it to be. Date caramel. Swoon.

And the layers, and the texture in these, every thing about them… I am loving!

Andi October 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Currently studying for the GRE, I took a quick procrastination break ’cause I saw you had a new post. I am now seriously considering cackling during my test tomorrow :P Thanks for the laugh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

hahah, glad it made you smile. you will do great I’m sure!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I am really excited to try these! That caramel sound perfect – I love the PB twist!

Catherine October 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Genius.
Who needs 1/2 price Halloween candy purchased the day after when you keep posting these amazing recipes?
I’ve yet to try the rolos (or the kit kat–might be too complicated for me), but I did recently make your peppermint patty bars, sweetened with dates. YUM! I can’t wait to eat one for my afternoon snack. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the peppermint patty bars! They are a fav over here.

Willow October 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Rice crispies – so genius! Way to go, Eric! This is such a great way to make the recipe more doable… plus, more ways to use that date caramel… awesome!

Cristy November 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

I made these last night and managed to snap a picture before the last one was snapped up! They are delicious (and definitely don’t last long in our house!) Great recipe!

Lia October 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Somehow you always find a way to make me crave chocolate! This look like a lot of fun and not too much work either, just mixing and placing. Yumm! Probably difficult to ship due to temp controls and melty chocolate issues?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

I wouldnt think they would ship well either unless it was super cold to keep the chocolate hard.

Lia October 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Ah, ok, then I may send these out to my BF. He’ll be in the woods for long periods at a base camp, and what’s a better surprise package than chocolate yumminess.

amy October 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I recently ate a real Twix bar and it wasn’t nearly as good as I remembered it to be. Hard caramel, sub par chocolate, artificial aftertaste, if that makes any sense.. Your version looks delicious and far superior to the original!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

I expect I would feel the same way with many of my old fav treats. Funny how tastes can change!

laura October 25, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Would it work using quinoa puffs instead of rice crispies?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

I can’t see why not!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

WOW-your candy recipes just keep getting better and better!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 25, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Festive indeed! I had no idea you could buy candy wrappers at Bulk Barn.. and I shop there ALL the time! I had to smile when you mentioned the salty cookies… I remember that post and thought it was hilarious!

hippierunner October 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I am an even bigger fan of yours now since you just used Dwight’s full name lol. Very funny intro! The bars look amazing and so crunchy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

Oh Dwight, heh :)

Tiffany @ eat clean work dirty October 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

These look so good!! And I think I just might have all the ingredients on hand… Muahaha!

Nicole Marie Story October 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Rarely would I relinquish food control to anyone; but I would, absolutely, 100%, relinquish cooking duties to you. Gorgeous.

Kathy October 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I tried this out today, and boy is it good!
I (sadly) don’t have any dates on hand right now, so I used raisins instead. Of course, it tastes like raisins, but they’re still really yummy. I can’t wait to try this recipe again but with dates to get a more caramel flavor!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hey Kathy, I’m glad to know that raisins work in a pinch! Thanks for letting me know.

Laura October 25, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Just made these with a natural version of chocolate rice crispies and sunflower butter for the pb…SO DELICIOUS! They are not going to last long at my house! Thank you for always having such awesome recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 7:46 am

Wow that does sound good! What brand makes the natural choco rice crispies? I usually buy the Nature’s Path regular kind though.

Rachel October 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I saw this recipe on the train…and instead of homework made them! They are delicious. I had a hard time putting the cut bars back into the freezer without eating more than my fair share. I’ve made a ton of your recipes – and everything is always yummy. Your dedication to great food rocks! Thank you, Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 3:45 pm

So glad to hear you enjoyed the bars Rachel!

heidi kokborg October 26, 2012 at 1:03 am

They look so good!! :)

the 3volution of j3nn October 26, 2012 at 1:46 am

Crispy rice bottoms sound even better than the original!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 7:43 am

I think I did like it a bit better, or if not they were equal anyway! Im a big fan of rice crispie squares though hah

Tanya @ playful and hungry October 26, 2012 at 3:36 am

I like adding the date caramel… however, I guess the shortbread crust would taste more like the original…

Sonal October 26, 2012 at 4:49 am

Mmmmmmmm! ok this one is also going on the list, today I am going to try out the peppermint pattys though! :)

Jessica October 26, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wow, wow, wow! I can’t wait to make these! Twix bars are my favourite candy (Halloween or not – it’s very hard to find them in mini versions!) and now my fiancee can eat them too! I remember coming across your 2010 recipe, but I don’t often have Earth Balance in my fridge so I had to skip it. Crispy rice cereal sounds perfect, great idea Eric! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 26, 2012 at 6:28 am

I’m making these! Twix is one of my favorite candybars and the mini, I mean the mini ones are 50 calories each! If your recipe works, I will be in pure candy heaven!! I can’t wait to give it a try!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 26, 2012 at 7:02 am

I am loving all these DIY candy posts lately! My friends and I are getting together to cook dinner this weekend and I think your homemade Rolos are going to be on the menu. ;)

kaity October 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

i am makin these this wknd cannot waittttttttttt

Tammie Grey October 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

I love sweet stuff but I’m on a diet.

Becca October 26, 2012 at 8:56 am

Have you made the date caramel using almond butter yet? Amazing! The almonds compliment the nuttiness of dates super well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:57 am

I don’t think I have tried it yet, but I will certainly have to :) yum

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

Those are some pretty candy bars. Yum!

char eats greens October 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I hope these homemade chocolate bars keep continuing. I think I’ll start with the rolos, but have twix as my second! I seriously love that you’re veganizing these, especially with Halloween coming and me thinking about how I used to raid my sister’s pillowcase and take all her: caramilk, reese pb cup, etc!!

Amy October 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

You can also substitute coconut nectar for a healthier replacement for brown rice syrup. It is tacky like brown rice syrup. These were DELICIOUS!! :-)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy October 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm

oh my gosh this is pure genius!!

Shira October 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

There aren’t many chocolate confections (homemade) that get me salivating..and I must be hungry..these look amazing! I think I’ve got everything on hand too – a perfect Friday night activity with the chocolate loving kids in the house :) Nice work Angela!

Ashley October 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hey! Congratulations on your win of favorite blog in VegNews!! So happy for you and love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thanks Ashley, that means a lot to me!! :)

{Moni} @ Moni Meals October 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

These would make ANYONE happy! Great recipe Ang!

Amelia October 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Hey Angela! I haven’t scrolled through EVERY comment, but I read all of the ones on the first page to see if anyone has asked yet. Do you know what the shelf life would be on these bars? I mean, for home at least. I’m just wondering how long the crispy bottom remains crisp, considering the moisture content of the filling and whether or not they are frozen or stored in the fridge. Have they lasted long enough in your house (ahem…Eric) to test this out? I always find that when I put anything with crispy rice in the fridge or freezer it goes stale after a day. Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hey Amelia!

I had my bars in the freezer for a day and then in the fridge for a few days and they were fine when thawed at room temp. I can’t really comment to their shelf life more than that since I gave the bars to my niece and nephew today, but they were fine for at least a few days and I would expect more! If you are concerned about them becoming dry, I would store in the fridge since it’s a bit more gentle than the freezer. Enjoy!

Jennifer N. October 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Made these yesterday. Yum (from the whole family and the Girl Scouts). Planning on making them again soon. Realized that they really reminded me of one of my favorite childhood candy bars, the Whatchamacallit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whatchamacallit_%28candy%29), even more than Twix. This makes me very happy. Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 7:42 am

ah interesting!! I don’t think I’ve ever had one of those before. Glad you enjoyed them :)

hannah October 30, 2012 at 11:18 am

I completely agree! I had been trying to put my finger on what they reminded me of. And once again, thank you, Angela!

Katie October 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Just made these… very good! The bottom layer is a bit flimsy though… I don’t know if it’s supposed to be or if it was something I did? I think I would also use bittersweet chocolate for the top layer rather than chocochips next time! Everyone loved it but it was a bit too sweet for me!

Thanks for another great recipe!!

Elisa October 27, 2012 at 3:40 am

Those look amazing! Twix were definitely one of my favourite chocolate bars. But you have made a version where you can actually pronounce all the ingredients!

Love all your recipes :).

Erica October 27, 2012 at 6:37 am

I love the date caramel idea!

Meaghan M October 27, 2012 at 8:46 am

Made these yesterday and fell in LOVE with them!! I have a box of mini chocolate bars waiting for Halloween that I am not even the slightest bit interested in now that I have these! I even brought them in to work and everyone could not get over the fact that the ‘caramel’ was dates!! The only downside was that my coworkers ate them ALL – looks like I will have to make another batch…or two…or three :)

Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

hahah darn those coworkers!!! ;) So glad you all enjoyed them. We just gave ours to my niece and nephew so I may have to make another batch for Halloween! ;)

Sandy October 27, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your website, recipes and your verve for life that comes through in your posts! I have a new baby with a milk allergy, and thus am venturing into the dairy-free world for the first time… your yummy recipes, beautiful pictures and cute commentary make this major food adjustment so much easier!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hi Sandy, Thank you for your lovely note! It’s a pleasure to have you reading the blog. I hope you enjoy many recipes to come! All the best to you and your new baby.

Suz @ avocadoandbasil October 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I can’t wait to try these, I love twix, and these actually look better!!

Monita October 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Amazing! Going to make these for a potluck!

charlotte October 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I just made these and they are damn good. Thanks for the recipe.

Full Flavored Life October 27, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Twix are my favorite. I’m definitely making these this week as a halloween treat!

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 27, 2012 at 10:02 pm

These look fabulous, but I really can’t wait to try that date caramel!!!! We are in the middle of a hurricane at the moment so I can’t go to the store, and I’m so upset I forgot to ask my MIL to get dates when she went to the store this morning so I could make the rolo knockoffs!!!! *Ugh* PS. The hurricane is a category 1 and is nothing more than a bad rainstorm so no need to worry :)

Josiah October 28, 2012 at 1:42 am

I made these tonight. Such a quick and EASY recipe and everyone loved them! :) I substituted honey for brown rice syrup and it worked out perfectly, I also used crunch peanut butter (all I had available) and it did not effect the consistency. I will definitely make it again.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom October 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Oh my – that layer of caramel in there looks amazing! Love your method for the crispy layer. I’ve gotta try these!

Viljena October 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Just made these last night and they are amazing! Even my BF said they are incredible!! First batch is almost gone, so I have to head to the store for some more dates. I used Arrowhead Mills puffed rice cereal and sun butter. Date caramel took a little bit of time in my Vitamix, but was well worth it. This will be our go to snack going forward and no more of those vending machine candy bars at work! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Awesome, enjoy!

Viljena November 3, 2012 at 7:30 am

I doubled the recipe and made it in a 9 by 13 pan, worked great!

Cherie October 28, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This makes me wish I lived next door.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 28, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Seriously, of all the candy bar recreations I see across the blog world, the one I have always wanted to see is Twix! (And KitKats, if I’m honest). Super excited about this!

Michele October 28, 2012 at 6:49 pm

These are freakin’ amazing!

Goddesswifemom October 28, 2012 at 7:05 pm

LONG time follower first time commenter but these are AMAZING. OH MY GOD I LOVE how the center stays gooey and the chocolate is just the right amount to make you feel like you are indulging without actually going over board. PERFECTION!

I did use honey instead of brown rice syrup, because we didn’t have any though I did find it today at the supertsore, still turned out like caramel. :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I love twix bars, and your version looks so yum! I especially love how you wrapped them, so cute :)

J October 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Angela, you have totally outdone yourself! I just made a batch of these for a party tomorrow and I can’t wait to see the reactions on my friends’ faces! This is the kind of thing that seems so intimidating, but the steps reveal how simple it really is! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I almos feel like an imposter showing up to a party with such an impressive looking treat!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012 at 8:43 am

haha you crack me up! So happy you enjoy the bars! I hope it goes over well with the friends. :)

Jamie @ Thrifty Veggie Mama October 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oh my gosh! These look so fantastic! I have to make them soon.

Britt Adams October 28, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I just have to tell you how much I love your blog! I’ve been following for over a year now, and every recipe turns out perfect. These were amazing by the way, thank you for all that you do! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012 at 8:42 am

Thank you so much Britt! I appreciate that so much. Thanks for reading!

Drisana (SoulShineBlog) October 29, 2012 at 5:19 am

These look like a delicious treat and oh so cute wrapped up!

Beth October 29, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I made these Saturday night and my husband is crazy about them! Thanks for the recipe!

Natalie October 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Awesome recipe, these are making my mouth water! Gorgeous site

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Date caramel?! Oh my goodness! I owe it to my husband to make these. He’s gone vegan with me… he’s a good sport. :)

em @ simplypresent October 29, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Wow, I haven’t had a Twix bar in so long (they were my favorite), but these look so much tastier! Thanks :)

Ana October 30, 2012 at 5:54 am

Hi Angela,

I am so glad I found you!!!!! Your website is amazing, your personal story very inspiring and I can relate in so many ways! Thanks for being so generous sharing all these wonderful healthy recipes. I’ve just made these bars and they are out of this world – I am glad I found this just in time for my son’s 2nd birthday – it will be a great hit among kids and parents! Thanks again!

Michele October 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

The flavor is amazing! These are fantastic if eaten immediately, but found they don’t store well in the fridge. The rice crispies get soggy. Maybe store in freezer?

Deb MacLeod October 31, 2012 at 5:01 am

Greetings from Morningside, Alberta
This Twix recipe got me so motivated that I quadrupled it and killed my ancient food processor. Despite that setback, the end result was a 9 x 13 pan of crunchy caramel chocolate deliciousness…perfect with a fresh cup of coffee. Another stellar creation on your part:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh no! I hope it recovers with some rest!

Freya E October 31, 2012 at 6:00 am

Oops. Forgot to check if the dates had been stoned. They weren’t! The date/peanut butter mixture tasted wonderful but I had to ditch it due to the “dropped on a gravel road” texture that the partially ground stones gave it…..trying again tonight!!

alexandra October 31, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I made these. They are VERY sugary tasting.

Sheena November 1, 2012 at 10:30 am

Made these last night and they were delish!
The only thing I ran into is that the rice crispy base didn’t come out ‘crispy’…was pretty chewy and almost soggy? Anyone else run into this, perhaps I am missing something?!

Beks November 1, 2012 at 10:39 am

I kind of want to take the recipe for the caramel portion of this recipe and try to make Pay Days. LOVE those, but the ingredient list on them is scary!

Joanna November 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Pinned the Twix Bar recipe I made last night! THANK YOUUU!

Sandy November 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Yum. I made these for Halloween and they are so already gone. We are newly dairy-free and so this was the first year I could not help myself (multiple times) to the regular Halloween fare (twix, kitkat, smarties). Therefore, I decided your homemade twix were definitely in order. And oh, they were so good… so much better than those little chocolate bars! Thank you for a healthier and happier Halloween! :)

Frankie November 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yum! These look so good. I’m going to try them this weekend and test them out on my husband (he’s so lucky). Thanks

janine November 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Healthy never looked like this! Being vegan is cleansing my body and soul.

Sharon November 10, 2012 at 4:13 am

Hi Angela: I found your website through Chatelaine magazine, and all your recipes look so yummy.

My sister was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and I’m now reading food labels faithfully. We were at the grocery store yesterday looking at rice cereal and regular Rice Crispies cereal by Kellogg’s has a small note at the bottom of the ingredients that it may contain wheat as processed in a wheat facility. However, Kellogg’s is now making a gluten free variety of Rice Crispies. Apparently it states gluten free in big letters on the top of the box near the name. We couldn’t buy it because the shelf was empty! (prompting a trip to the store manager to find out when it would be re-stocked)

It amazes me how many foods you might think would be naturally gluten free, but there are those tiny words “processed in a wheat facility” in the ingredient list!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

Hi Sharon, I would try Nature Path’s rice crisp cereal – that is what I buy and it’s gluten-free and filled with good ingredients.

Sarah November 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm

My stepdaughter and I made the candy bars last night. So amazingly delicious! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

Kate November 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I made these last night for my beau and he thought they were great!

He did however, want to point out that they are almost identical to a Whatchamacallit candy bar as those have both peanut butter and crisps. No PB in Twix.

Whatever you decide to call them- they get an A+ in our book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I don’t think we have that bar here, but that’s good to know.

MsMary November 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Just going over this recipe and was curious if rice milk would work as a subsitute for the almond milk? My youngest has horrid nut allergies … thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2012 at 11:20 am

I can’t see why not! :)

Sarah November 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I just made these, literally. In fact I am eating one right now! It’s even better than I thought it would be :-))) Should have doubled the batch. I cut my finger and thumb in the process of making them – didn’t unplug the blender while trying to get the sticky dates from being stuck on the blades!!! All is OK though. Didn’t lose any fingers!!! Hard to type with band aids on but it was soooo worth it. Lol! :-)

Angela November 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yes, yes, and yes!! These look amazing!

Marie November 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hi there! Thank you for this recipe! My nephew is wheat/dairy intolerant and Im making this as a dessert for him this thanksgiving! I kind of messed up and bought regular dates, instead of medjool. is it possible to soak them to help the consistency or should I just go buy medjool? Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012 at 10:03 am

Yes you can soak them until very soft, just be sure to drain them well before using. Enjoy!

Anne May November 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hi. I just want to say that I love your blog. As a vegan mother of three i have found so many yummy recipies.

Love from Norway

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

Hi Anne, Thank you for your kind words! Im so glad you enjoy the blog.

Goldenera November 30, 2012 at 10:51 am

I made this yesterday and it was easy and delicious. I don’t think it tastes like a Twix bar but that doesn’t matter because the natural ingredients give it a richer taste. It is very sweet!

Denise @ pink-vegan.blogspot.com December 6, 2012 at 5:42 am

I REALLY liked the date caramel. The rice crispy cereal also made a GREAT cookie part !! They really did taste like twix bars !

Olga December 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm

..so i made these thinking to help with my unhealthy sweet cravings, and ended up eating the whole thing! So, not sure if that was actually help :) It was just wayyy chewy, chocolaty and delicious!!

Rachel December 14, 2012 at 10:16 am

I made these to bring to work and share with my coworkers. Since I went dairy and gluten free due to my health my baking/treat making nearly become non-exsistant for a while. Thankgoodness I found your website!! I have tried so many of your recipes and shared many of them with others. These bars were gone within a few hours at work. :-) I love feeding my coworkers healthier treats that taste so yummy! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thnak you for your kind words Rachel, that means so much to me!

Cristal December 19, 2012 at 3:38 am

Hi Angela. These bars look SO good. I would love to try them, but I don’t have any rice syrup or maple syrup on hand, and I think those are quite pricey items on my side of the world. I was wondering if molasses would work as a substitute? Or do you think the taste would be too overpowering?

p.s. I would love to see you try an adaptation of a Snickers bar – those are legendary chocolates!

Kristin December 21, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Wow- I’m in awe… what a fabulous recipe. They taste sinfully delicious!

Courtney January 7, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I have a major sweet tooth…and these amazing things defiantly satisfied it. And its all organic!

Zephyr January 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm

These were delicious. I made a second batch using bananas instead of dates, since I’d used my dates up in the first batch. Both were great, but I think I prefer your version a bit more. Thank you very much!

Bel January 14, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I wonder if you could use date molasses instead of the brown rice syrup? And what would you suggest as a nut butter that wouldn’t add much flavor? Maybe cashew butter? I can’t eat peanut butter or sunflower nut butter and I feel like almond butter would maybe add too much almond flavor? Great idea though – I love twix and recently saw a homemade version that was full of refined sugar, flour, and FAT! So this sounds like a great alternative :)

Samantha January 28, 2013 at 6:50 pm

This recipe kind of reminds me os “scotcheroos”… but not really. Have you ever had them/I would love to see a more healthy/vegan recreation of them… even though I know it probably isn’t easy because of the butterscotch chips?

Michelle January 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

I made these with Speculoos cookie butter instead of peanut butter and omitted the date caramel layer and it was DELICIOUSLY decadent!! Thank you for sharing such great recipes!

Amy March 3, 2013 at 5:23 am

I love this recipe and make it all the time! However, I am allergic to peanuts and I found I didn’t have a sub in my cupboard for the crust, so I kept the water I soaked the dates in and simmered it with a tablespoon of golden syrup (naughty I know!) and it did the job perfectly!
Thanks for all the inspiration!

Alishia March 3, 2013 at 11:44 pm

These turned out so good! Next time I want to try puffed millet, or puffed barley. Maybe a combo of these? Still, nice recipe, keep up your amazing work, you inspire me!

Rachael Webb March 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

These were amazing! I’ve had a hormonal craving for days which was satisfied by these wonderful,sticky,oozy yummy bars. Keep up the great ideas and thank you for the time and effort this must take, Rachyx

Joanne April 4, 2013 at 5:11 am

I finally had a chance to make these last night. I’ve been jonesing for something sweet and chocolatey and these definitely fit the bill! They were relatively easy to make and were a big hit with my hubby.

Lia May 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

My friend made these once for a potluck and they were so good, I forced her to show me where I could find the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Eric May 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows how to make a crispy rice base but without the sugar. What could be used to hold it together? Or would you need some sort of dark chocolate coating as a wrapper of sorts?

Thank you!

rachael Smith May 24, 2013 at 8:14 am

Just made these. Amazing thankyou :)

Linda June 21, 2013 at 9:02 am

Yumm! My boyfriend and I just made them and they’re soooo yummy! A big part of them can already be found in our tummies, hehe.

I really love your blog and recipes. From Wednesday on even more, because our Vitamix arrived last Wednesday :) Yay, now I can finally make really smooth smoothies instead of finding some spinach leaves back into my smoothie…

Have a nice weekend!

Joana July 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

These are soooo good I can’t stop making them!! I am going for again tonight, thank you so much for creating this recipe, you a life saver! ;)

Malak August 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Hi Angela! These look ahhh-maazing. I’d love to try them. I do have a question though, I’ve noticed that in both the rolos and the twix bar recipes, you use date caramel. Now, as one who can’t stand dates, this creates a dilemma. So my question is: is the date taste strong?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hey Malak, You can definitely taste the dates in these recipes, but I would say the caramel flavour is more pronounced (to my taste buds anyway, I can’t comment on how it would taste for you of course). Chilling them in the freezer helps too. Good luck!

Miz M August 10, 2013 at 1:42 am

I love your site. My sister found it for me as I was looking to make my own almond milk and that was the first recipe of yours I tried. Needless to say, the milk is wonderful. I made the Twix Bars for a friend’s son for dessert tomorrow. She recently decided to become a Vegan and her son has reluctantly joined her. She doesn’t like to cook, works two jobs just to get by and both of them need some comfort food.

I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and am on a special diet so I couldn’t taste anything with this recipe which killed me. So, after I had finished cutting them and they’d rested in the freezer for 10 minutes I had my sis taste them. She said they were the best thing she’d had in months. I think Davy will love them and I thank you for sharing!

Jody August 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

If I make these and put them in the freezer, will they be ok if I take them out in a couple days ?? Thanks!

Angela September 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm

WOW! These are really yummy. I whipped them up in about 20 minutes. I substituted raw almond butter for the peanut butter and it is delicious. This was my first recipe I have tried and I look forward to trying more!

Kate in New York November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Just stumbled on this post! I’ve had a peanut allergy all my life so I’m all for making my own sweets… gets rid of the fear factor, plus I can better tailor the taste to my liking. :) I’ll be making these with Barney’s almond butter (it’s peanut free and sooooo smooth). Thanks.

Marlene November 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hahahha….tooo funny! I’m just about to take the GRE in a few hours, and just my luck I happen to stumble on this recipe right before it. I just think it’s hilarious! Talk about coincidences and serendipity…well I guess not soo happy in this case. But still, uber hilarious! :D

Juju November 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I don’t know how you made yours so perfect, mine is all over the place XD
however this tastes AMAZING <3 thank you for sharing the recipe

seo December 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site,
as i want enjoyment, since this this website conations actually nice funny information
too.

ben January 10, 2014 at 10:19 am

dates are not vegan. google it.

Jen @Virtually Vegan Mama January 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Made these today and they are great..Twix are my ultimate favorite…thanks for this!!!

Jen

Caroline February 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

These are absolutely fantastic!They are yummy!I can’t wait to make them again.x

Adriana Smith March 28, 2014 at 3:37 am

These are delish!!
Absolutely love ’em!!
I used 1 cup puffed quinoa and 1/2c chopped peanuts in place of the puffed rice cereal-yummy! Close to a snickers…
Mahalo Angela

Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I made these for a friend as a thank you for dog sitting for us. It’s always a bit scary trying out a new recipe on someone else, but she kindly shared some with my husband and I and they turned out great! I used honey instead of brown rice syrup, and I think next time I’ll soak the dates longer to make them easier to blend. (How long would you recommend? Your recipe didn’t say…) Other than that turned out great! I’m amazed and impressed with people who can take something unhealthy they used to love and say, “I could make something like that!” Caramel out of dates?! Who would’ve thought?? Kudos!

Steph April 16, 2014 at 9:14 am

Made these last night and they are awesome! I don’t mean to split hairs here, but I think witht the peanut butter, they are much more like Whatchamacallits than Twix. Also, I had some trouble with paper sticking to the bottom layer…Any advice there? But still, overall, A+.

Deborah April 18, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Just finished these. I have so far just tasted individual layers, but love the date caramel! Bottom layer is satisfying and nice and crunchy. I just received your book and am taking Empowered Noodle Bowl to Easter Brunch.

Lenka April 20, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I made them this morning and brought them to a picnic with some friends, they were a huge success!!! There were a lot of ohh and ahh sounds, and some of the descriptives I heard were divine, orgasmic, a religious experienced, incredible…. Thanks for this recipe!! …and so many others…

Gwen July 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Oh my gosh these are amazing – my very picky 8 year old loves them!!!! I made them with almond butter because he doesn’t like peanut and they are sooooooo crazy good. Thank you!!!!

Kaley Morris December 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Holy crap, these are good!
I just made them for my girls xmas party. Allergies: dairy, gluten, peanuts, mangos. None of the girls thought that a dessert could be made that all could enjoy.
I used WOW soy butter and honey.
They taste magical.
Thanks!
P.S. Salt and vinegar chickpeas are in the oven and I made the pb cookie balls the other night… all amazing!
YOU RULE!

Lieke December 19, 2014 at 4:11 am

Again, another amazing dessert recipe! This is so much fun to make and I love the idea of a healthier and even tastier Twix bar! I just chocolate rice crisps for the bottom and extra dark (80% cacao) chocolate for the top layer. I also put a little more melted chocolate on the top than the recipe calls for, because I’m a chocolate fanatic. Will definitely be making these again! These were also an absolute hit with my friends.

Autumn April 7, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Another amazing recipe. The date caramel is a keeper. Loved it!

Alexandra May 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

I have made these twice now and they are so crazy good! I made them with wholegrain rice crispies and a mixed nutbutter, which worked really well. The first time I added coconutoil to the chocolate, but found it to coconutty for my taste, so the second time I simply omitted it and it worked just as well. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe, I am such a fan, everything I have tried works out so well: I had a bookpresentation and ordered two beautiful vegan cakes, but to cut back on the costs I also made your carrotloaf with sweetened vegan creamcheese on top and everone simply devoured it, liking it better than the professionally made cakes!

malherbe October 18, 2015 at 11:38 am

hi,
can’t have brown rice syrup, would maple syrup work? Would love to make these, they look awesome!

Beth November 12, 2015 at 12:54 am

These taste absolutely amazing!! Can barely tell they are vegan would definitely reccomend making these!

Tanya Kern January 31, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Hi Ang,
Would it work if I substituted maple syrup for the brown rice syrup? I’m making the crispy twix bars
Thanks , Tanya :)

Momma Mesa April 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I just tripled this recipe to share with friends at church. They turned out…AWESOME! I used almond butter instead of peanut butter. I was concerned that the brown rice syrup wasn’t sticky enough to hold the cereal together, but it did! They cut beautifully. Thanks for the recipe!