3-Ingredient Halloween Apple Bites

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 15, 2012

halloween apple bites-7011

This has to be one of the easiest Halloween treats in all of Halloween treat-making history. I’m really not a crafty person when it comes to making holiday things, but these were almost fool proof.

Note the word almost! Eric and I did a “test run” one night last week and we could not stop laughing at our first couple tries (note the dried apricot tongue and vampire blood! hah), but our apple bite skills seemed to improve slightly with time.

halloween apple bites-6998

First you slice ‘em up. Feel free to rub a bit of lemon juice on them if they will be sitting out. This is why I like spreading nut butter on the middle to cover up the apple flesh – it hides a bit of browning.

halloween apple bites-7093 halloween apple bites-7094 halloween apple bites-7095halloween apple bites-7096 halloween apple bites-7098 halloween apple bites-7100

You can also core the apple and then slice in into quarters, but I found this method above made for better looking bites. Plus, you get to eat the leftover middle piece, which you will certainly want to take advantage of.

Now, spread on some jam or nut butter for the tongue and then push some slivered almonds in for the teeth. For a nut-free option, sunflower or pumpkin seeds can work in a pinch. Likewise, you could also use sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter.

halloween apple bites-7002halloween apple bites-6996 halloween apple bites-7000

Apple Bites make for a festive, healthy, and seasonal addition to any Halloween table. Given how much fun we had, I suspect kids would also have a blast making these.

Have a great Monday!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 15, 2012 at 7:40 am

I saw this idea on Pinterest a while back. Aren’t they fun?!? I love stuff like this, especially if you’re entertaining this time of year.

Chelsea October 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

So fun and yummy!

Cx

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

Ha ha-so cute! Creative, fun, and easy!

Willow October 15, 2012 at 7:44 am

Nice! I’ve seen this sort of thing done, but it usually uses something like mini marshmallows, or fluff, or something I’d rather not use. Love how these look, but also that they’re a great, healthy snack! Will have to give them a try if we go to any Hallo-parties this year. :)

Erica October 15, 2012 at 8:10 am

So cute, I think my kids will love making these!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 8:23 am

I’ve seen those too! I think they would also be incredible stuffed with homemade caramel. :)

Jody October 15, 2012 at 7:53 am

LOL these are so cute! I must admit when I first opened the page I was a bit confused and thought, ugh that doesn’t look good! But once I scrolled down and saw what they actually where…how cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

hah yea I could see that ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 15, 2012 at 7:56 am

These are adorable and incorporate so many of my favorite tastes!

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 15, 2012 at 7:57 am

How perfect for Halloween! Healthy AND spooky :)

Janae @ Bring-Joy October 15, 2012 at 7:58 am

What an adorable idea. I love new ways to do old faves–my kids LOVE apples w/ pb (never tried apples w/ jelly). I know I already have the ingredients, simple to make, & fun. Excited to try with my kids. Thanks Angela for the cute idea.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

Have fun, I hope they enjoy it!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

Oh my gosh, I love this!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh October 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

This is awesome!! What a fun, spooky treat! I could go for one right now. *chomp*

Laura S. October 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

So easy and cute!

CONGRATULATIONS on the VegNews award! I knew you would win!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 8:30 am

I had no idea, but that is super exciting. Thank you! I hope my subscription arrives soon. :)

[email protected] October 15, 2012 at 8:27 am

How cute are these!! Perfect healthy Halloween treat that’s fun too!

Jennifer October 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

Too cute!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

Too cute!!! Where do you come up with the stuff?! I was thinking pinenuts would make food teeth too. I wonder if you could even make a pumpkin puree as the spread…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

I saw pictures of these apple bites years ago…I’d say back in 2009! Had ’em on my list for a while now, hah. Loving the pumpkin spread idea too.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

Haha these are so cute! What a great healthy treat for kids this Halloween season!

Chloe October 15, 2012 at 8:44 am

I read down quickly to see what you used for teeth. I was relieved it was slivered almonds because to me, it looked like garlic! That would keep the vampires at bay but still…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 9:11 am

hah now that would be scary!

Ileana October 15, 2012 at 8:54 am

Ha, cute!

carrie October 15, 2012 at 8:56 am

thanks for yet another fun-fantastic-healthy idea! going to do these for this afternoon’s snack having the 3 ingredients makes it so quick to do and my kids love the surprise coming home from school

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 15, 2012 at 9:00 am

these are so cute! Perfect for halloween! I’ll have to keep them in mind for a halloweeny type dinner! (:

Ashley F. October 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

So freakin cute! The little one is going to love putting these together!

Tanya @ playful and hungry October 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

what a great idea! And so cute!
I love how simple this is…

Heather's Creative Comcoctions October 15, 2012 at 11:28 am

Wow that is too cute!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset October 15, 2012 at 11:57 am

SO cute!!!!! Loved hearing about your test run with Eric :P

Ann October 15, 2012 at 12:05 pm

So cute!
I have a request: would you consider doing a post going into the holidays about how to navigate all those family functions while being/becoming a vegan? I am taking your advice and easing in slowly to this lifestyle (I love it) and I would love to hear how you broached the subject with family (particularly In-Laws) and others while still being polite. I can just already imagine the groans and protests from family if/when I decline certain dishes and I just would to hear your thoughts on that time in your process when you were “coming out.”
Thanks so much for all you do!

allison October 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I double this request please. I haven’t even told MY FAMILY. ha…and coming out is funny. My boyfriend’s family knows and they are so supportive, i was amazed when we went to thanksgiving dinner they thought of us and kept some veggies out before adding milk and cheese to them etc. That was very thoughtful. But it seems we get scrutinized a lot. I have told them all never worry about us, we’ll bring something we can eat and I don’t want anyone to do any extra work for us. Funny enough, I don’t miss the meat at all, but a lot of veggie dishes have added dairy products. I made the pies this year (vegan pumpkin) and everyone said they were great. the protein question gets askes so much…i’m sure so many don’t even know how much protein we’re supposed to have! I also feel many think we’re malnourished. I’ve started saying “do I look malnourished?” and “what did you eat today?”. I get cranky and defensive sometimes to which I get “oh if you had meat you wouldn’t be cranky”. LOL

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I can definitely relate to this concern! Anticipating all of this was a big stress for me when I first went vegan. My advice usually boils down to letting family members know *in advance* of the holiday (this takes pressure off the big event) and bringing at least a couple vegan friendly dishes (this takes a lot of stress off a host) as well as snack or breakfast items with you. The beauty of this is that you can often impress family members with how good the vegan food tastes. As for others opinions, well everyone will have one. It sucks to get mean comments, but I’ve found they are far and few between. I still get teased about not eating certain dishes at holiday dinners, but I’ve found a sense of humour goes a long way! If someone says something to you, feel free to crack a joke right back to them. Keeps things light hearted. Anyway, I will definitely keep this in mind to address in a post over the holidays :) Goodluck!!

Amber September 5, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I do think it is interesting that vegans are okay with eating almonds. Almonds require 95% of all the honeybees in the US to be trucked from all over the states, in the middle of their dormant season, fed HFCS to California’s central valley monocrop almond orchards, where they will pollinate thousands of almond tree blossoms.
Talk about enslaving a creature…
This is actually worse than eating their honey, IMO.

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Spooky & adorable! Now THIS is an easy, fun, great Halloween idea that even my daughter’s school would approve of. They have a no candy, no sugar, no treats rule, ever. And especially on Halloween. It’s a blessing and a curse not to be allowed to bring in cupcakes for bdays, but these, are PERFECT for Hween!

Angela October 15, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Oh my gosh, these are awesome!! Great for a Halloween Party :)

Senator October 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

This is a WONDERFUL way to get kids excited about healthy snacks.. and spooky for Halloween! Awesome!

Julia October 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

These are so clever and fun!

Janessa @ Epicurious Vegan October 15, 2012 at 2:02 pm

SO FRIGGIN’ CUTE!!

Life's a Bowl October 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

These are adorable and the perfect finger food treats for a Halloween/ costume party! Chocolate chip teeth would be tasty too ;)

Lia October 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hahahaha! These are so cute! Love it!

Lauren October 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

These are so stinkin’ cute! I saw this in Food Network mag, but it’s cool to see someone actually carry it through.

Katie Flores October 15, 2012 at 4:27 pm

These are just too cute! The kids would love these. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

These are so cute!! I bet your nephews are begging your sister to fly you over just for Halloween so they can have all of these treats! I love the almond teeth. Maybe stick a few chocolate chips in as rotten monster teeth too lol!

Apple A Day October 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm

OMG I gotta try these! Totally adorable. And it’s great to have a healthy alternative at Halloween parties!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 15, 2012 at 5:31 pm

So cute! I need to show these to my mom who is a Girl Guide leader – this would be a perfect activity for her to do with her unit!

annecalista October 15, 2012 at 7:24 pm

So flippin’ cute! I’m definitely going to copy that idea for a halloween party :)

the bear and the blackberry October 16, 2012 at 12:07 am

So creatively cute! : )

Megan @healthgeekchic October 16, 2012 at 12:38 am

what a great idea!! I cant wait to make these and take them to work since Im ‘on’ Halloween night ( Im an Emergency Room Physician Assistant…) so the faux blood wiill really get a laugh!! :)

Sonal October 16, 2012 at 5:34 am

Soo cool! I have nephews that would love this!

Nadiya October 16, 2012 at 6:29 am

Wow! That’s so creative and healthy ^^

Monique October 16, 2012 at 8:15 am

Very creative and they look so fun to make!

sweetness of the fruit October 16, 2012 at 8:23 am

They look gorgeous! I was looking for an alternative to the marshmallow ones and these look not only more delicious but much scarier as well :-)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles October 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Super cute apple bites, Angela! I love holiday-themed food, and it’s even better when it’s healthy AND creative! :)

Steph October 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

If you are not opposed to using 7-up or Sprite, you can toss the apples with that before decorating; this will keep them from browning as well. Very cute idea, my boys will enjoy this for sure, thanks!

van October 16, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Cute idea!

OrGreenic October 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm

These are so perfect for a child’s Halloween party! Amazing idea, thanks for sharing!

mary @ what's cookin with mary October 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Holy creativeness! This is so neat Ange. And I love how healthy they are. Love it!!

Nicole Marie Story October 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Oh my dear goodness, these are adorable! If I were a homeroom mother, I would prepare these for my child’s class! Absolutely positively adorable. Sending a link to my sister who will be a homeroom mother in the foreseeable future. :)

And hi! I’ve been stalking your blog for a while. I love it! Found you via Jessica at Almost Over Now. Your blog is fresh, pretty, and healthy! Love that you’re honest about your background. And love the high quality that you output. Thanks for writing and inspiring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you Nicole, it’s a pleasure to meet you!

[email protected] October 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Hahahaha awesome :D

[email protected] October 17, 2012 at 6:15 am

Great vegan low cost healthy alternative to the high sugar treats that most kids get! Will definitely be making these for our little munchkins!

Lesley October 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm

These are so fun! Great idea :)

Dennis Blair @ Fort Collins Personal Trainer October 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Ha! I saw the picture on the main page and had to come check this out. Very clever. :)

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm

These are precious! And waaaaaaaaaay more healthy than the other’s ones I’ve seen floating around. Ha! I love the first attempts too. Hilarious!

Bek @ Crave October 19, 2012 at 9:38 pm

These are amazing! You are seriously incredible at this stuff! I wish I had even a tiny bit of your creativity

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe October 21, 2012 at 11:16 pm

These are so adorable, and I can’t get over how easy they are to make! What a great healthy option for a Halloween party!

Maia October 22, 2012 at 11:19 am

Even fun for adults! I’m looking forward to making these festive treats. Thanks for sharing the idea.

amber allen October 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I was just wondering how you keep them from turning brown? Or do they with the PB in them? Yeah I am new to all this stuff.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 23, 2012 at 9:33 am

You can try spreading on some lemon juice to help with the browning. They will still turn a bit though, it’s hard to prevent that entirely.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Oh. my. gosh. Those are SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Leigh Adler October 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Angela, you are awesome!!! I have been struggling with food for YEARS, and am trying to find a balance between being too strict foodwise, and binging on every kind of fattening food there is. This is site (and your story) are so inspirational. I am SO glad I found it! :) PS – Sketchie is too cute! I have a couple of kitties of my own :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hi Leigh, Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

Leah J November 1, 2012 at 5:09 am

I did these this year for my son’s school halloween party. They turned out great! Thank you so much for posting a healthy alternative to the junk kids usually eat at those parties!

Lori November 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This recipe is too cute! I made a how-to video of it for our company blog. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela! :)

Fiona October 27, 2013 at 11:06 pm

These came out soooo well! I brought them to a pumpkin carving party tonight and people loved them! I loved how easy and and healthy they were! I thought it would be cute to use sunflower seeds as teeth and slivered almonds as the two long vampire teeth!

Amy @ Cake Diem October 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Hi there.

I think these apples look fab (if not a bit creepy) and I would love to feature it on my post about easy Halloween creations on my blog (cakediem.com). Would you mind if I used one of your photos in the post? It will be credited in any way you see fit and clearly linked back to this page.

Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013 at 8:55 am

Sure, be my guest! Thanks :)

Emery October 1, 2014 at 5:25 am

I seldom leave a response, but i diid a feew seqrching and woiund upp here 3-Ingredient Halloween Aple Biyes — Oh
She Glows. And I ddo have a cople of questions for you if
it’s allright. Is it jusdt me oor does it llook like ssome off thhe responses
ook like written by brain dead people? :-P And, if you are poating onn other places, I’d like to
keep upp with anything fresh you hav too post. Could yoou lisst oof eveery one of all our socizl sites
like yojr twifter feed, Facfebook page orr lijnkedin profile?

Maria October 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi! My name is Maria, and I am the editorial assistant at KrisCarr.com. We’d love to feature your Halloween recipe on KrisCarr.com and our social media outlets. We just need your permission :)

Please e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Anjali (Vegetarian Gastronomy) October 31, 2014 at 1:23 am

Made these for my sons preschool halloween party and I loved them! THey were a huge hit. used sunflower butter and sunflower seeds. Your cutting tutorial is key =) thanks!

Drew October 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi! I was so happy to stubble across this post! Do you remember which kind of jam you used?

Ty October 29, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Picture 3 and 4 are identical. It’s confusing. :C

Joanna November 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Made these this weekend and we used broken up banana chips for the teeth and sunflower butter for a nut-free party. The banana chips are awesome and give you fangs and funny shaped teeth. Great idea!