Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat-a-thon!

cinnamon bun granola-6628

Recently, Lisa from Vegan Culinary Crusade and Nicole from A Dash of Compassion launched Tiny Treats – an e-cookbook devoted to 25 recipes free of wheat, soy, eggs, dairy, and refined flour/sugar. Needless to say, I was excited to check it out when Lisa offered to send me a copy. The recipes are unique, healthy, and elegant all at the same time, not to mention the photography and page layouts could be straight out of a food magazine. You can really tell how much time and love went into creating this book!

Screen-shot-2012-09-26-at-10.34.12-AM

The best part, aside from the wholesome desserts, is that Lisa and Nicole are donating a third of all ebook proceeds to the Elephant Nature Park in Northern Thailand. You can read all about Lisa’s volunteer efforts at the Elephant Nature Park on her blog here and here. If you wish, help support their mission by purchasing an ebook here.

Lisa and Nicole generously allowed me to share a teaser recipe from the ebook today – Cinnamon Bun Granola!

I have one word to describe this granola:

CINNABON.

You know, the smell that has tortured people in shopping malls everywhere for years? I sure do. Well, now that smell can be found in your own house! A big, gooey cinnamon bun….in granola form.

cinnamon bun granola tiny treats-6619

Cinnamon Bun Granola from Tiny Treats Ebook

Shared with permission by Lisa Pitman and Nicole Axworthy. Tiny Treats Ebook. Copyright 2012.

From Lisa and Nicole: If we ever open a vegan B&B, this will be on each breakfast-in-bed tray. We would keep the guestrooms full by serving it up differently each day–in a layered parfait glass with sliced apples and almond yogurt, or on top of our favourite banana soft serve, or in special tea cup with a substantial splash of coconut milk. The options are endless.

Email, text, or print this recipe.

GRANOLA

1/2 cup (120mL) pure maple syrup
1/4 cup (50g) Medjool dates, pitted
2 tbsp (30mL) melted coconut oil
2 tbsp (30mL) water
2 tsp (10mL) pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, buckwheat, walnuts, shredded coconut, raisins, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
2. Using a blender, blend the maple syrup, dates, coconut oil, water and vanilla extract into a smooth, thick sauce.
3. Pour the sauce into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are well coated.

DEHYDRATOR METHOD
4. Transfer the granola to a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray and spread into a thin (about 1/2 inch thick), even layer. Dehydrate for 8 to 10 hours at 115F.

OVEN METHOD
4. Preheat the oven to 300F. Transfer the mixture to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin, even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, gently stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even browning. Allow to cool completely before gently breaking into clusters. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or at room temperature.

Makes about 6 cups of granola.

cinnamon bun granola-6621cinnamon bun granola-6616

I made this granola in the oven and it turned out lovely. Next time, I will have to try it in my dehydrator…if I can wait that long!

If you’d like to purchase your own copy of Tiny Treats, you can do so here for $9.99. Big thanks to Lisa and Nicole for allowing me to share this amazing recipe with you all today!

IMG_7326662-2

I’ve been working on a bunch of treats to share with you this month, so stay tuned for some delicious, spooky fun! If you have a Halloween treat you’d like healthy-ween-ized (just go with it), let me know in the comments below. I’ll try to pick a couple to add to my list.

Just please don’t ask me to make a cat litter cake (Sketchie doesn’t want one either).

1 Kathy Steger October 12, 2012

There is something about granola. There must be somthing extra special about Cinabon granola…. I have to make some. :)

2 celina October 12, 2012

WOW this would be incredible as a granola bar too!
Can you make healthy caramel apple CHIPS!?

3 Georgina October 12, 2012

Amazing!! Can’t wait to try it. This fall I’ve enjoyed making your Apple Butter and Pumpkin butter. Mmm.. Healthy cinnabon!

4 katherine October 12, 2012

Hi! I absolutely love your website! I relatively recently started transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and your recipes have been such a help! I was wondering, is there a substitute for coconut oil in the granola recipe? Im allergic!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Katherine, Thanks for your kind words! You could probably sub the coconut oil for a light tasting oil, such as grapeseed.

6 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 12, 2012

I can’t wait to see what treats you will be sharing with us! I *love* how Pumpkin/Fall oriented your blog has been lately!

7 Danielle October 12, 2012

This looks really good, think I’m gonna try it next week!

8 Laura October 12, 2012

You know, I’m nervous about the buckwheat groats… I’ve tried making your smoothie recipe and for whatever reason, I can’t get away from the slime factor once liquid is introduced… Can you speak to that? Maybe do a tutorial? Or is it just me – I’ll have to get over it?

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Laura,

You may be happy to know the buckwheat doesn’t get slimy in this granola :) Stays crunchy and dry! :)

Which smoothie recipe do you mean?

10 Laura October 12, 2012

The Raw Buckwheat Porridge – the picture I want to eat right off the screen… :-) I’ve made it twice, and just seem to be unable to rinse the buckwheat enough… Thanks for your insight!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

oh yes that one is slimy!! Just the nature of the soaked buckwheat. It doesn’t bother me but I could see how it could. :)

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 12, 2012

You could add “cinnamon roll” to any recipe and I’d have a Pavlovian response. Cinnamon Roll Liverwurst. Yum. Or maybe that was taking it too far… LOL!

13 Maja October 12, 2012

Oh my yum!! I love cinnamon anything, so this is a must-try!
Have you ever tried pumkin & olive oil granola? This is my go to. Honestly, the BEST!!
just in case you wanna have a look :)

14 Lisa October 12, 2012

Oh wow. I think I’m going to get up from the computer this second to make this. One question — most granola recipes say to add the dried fruit after baking — but you add it before, in this case?

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

good question – I added the raisins *after* baking because that’s usually how I do it too. I will add that into my post.

16 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 12, 2012

Yum, this granola looks fabulous! I’m doing a couple of spooky Halloween treats on my blog too! Next week: Monster eyes… haha I just love Halloween. I was going to start on the recipes this morning until I realized that the baking temperature in my new oven isn’t right… sooo gotta deal with that before I make the eye balls.

17 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 12, 2012

Mmmm cinnamon! I love anything cinnamon so I am sure this is delicious! Perfect for fall.

18 Nicole October 12, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing the ebook love! I’m so happy you enjoyed the granola and wanted to share it with others. That Cinnabon smell is so addictive!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing Nicole! I’m sure it will be enjoyed by many. I hope you raise a ton of money for the elephants! Keep me posted.

20 Cher @ Weddicted October 12, 2012

Granola in the dehydrator – duh! Why did I not think of that? And lol @ cat litter cake – how appetizing ;)

21 Abby@ Totes Delish October 12, 2012

That cookbook will be going on my wishlist! I am always drawn in by Cinnabon, why are they sooo good?!

22 Shundara October 12, 2012

I am so excited for the treatahon I was looking for healthy Halloween treats and can’t find anything I would like to make. I am excited to see your creations…

23 Sarah October 12, 2012

I have actually been to the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand and can honestly say that its such an amazing place!! The amount of time that the volunteers and staff dedicate to the elephants that have suffered is truly inspiring! Such a great idea for donations – I will be purchasing the e-book for sure!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I can imagine that would’ve been a great experience! I would love to go there some day. Thanks for supporting the book!

25 Heidi kokborg October 12, 2012

Oh my! It looks so delicious! And I love the smell of cinnamon – it makes me think about december and christmas :) I will definitey make this granola when I have finished the rest of the granola I already have in the house.
I can’t wait to see your halloween treat. My birthday is on Halloween (like OSG!!), and I need some inspiration for dessert and treats to mty birthday, so your timing is perfect! :)

26 Brinklen October 12, 2012

I have a confession: I am enamored with Medjool dates and want to add them all my sweets! But I need protein with them, and c’mon, let’s be honest, dried dates look kinda spooky! If you can muster some creativity juices with dates and a protein, I would be ecstatic! Seriously. An Ang-verson of goat cheese stuffed dates would be a GREAT fingerfood for my autumnal festival! I’m looooving and sharing with non-vegs my raw brownies, so I’ve got that one down. But always on the lookout for baby Oh She Glows recipes to add to my repertoire! :) Thanks, girl!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

How did you know I was thinking about some kind of “cockroach” inspired medjool date :)

28 Brinklen October 16, 2012

Great minds think alike! :)
Can’t wait to see how you bring it to life! With such gorgeous photography, even an icky “cockroach” will look ah-mazing!

29 Alexa October 19, 2013

I know you commented on this a while ago, but I just tried dates for the first time and, after absolutely loving them, was looking for a protein pairing for snacks. I’ve found that stuffing pitted dates with nut butter – especially peanut butter – is quite divine!

30 allison October 12, 2012

i love that you’re doing this. My oldest daughter is a Halloween baby. It’s an important holiday in our house! Can you maybe come up with something spectacular and healthy I can send in her lunch that day? She’s an awesome healthy eater and LOVES pumpkin. I’m sooooo looking forward to your upcoming recipes.

31 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 12, 2012

Okay, describing the granola as “cinnabon” totally got my attention. Yum!

32 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 12, 2012

The granola looks super yummy, I will definitely have to give it a try! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got cooked up for healthy treats!

33 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) October 12, 2012

I’m excited about the treats. Woohoo!

34 Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen October 12, 2012

I love the Tiny Treats recipe book! Lisa and Nicole did a fabulous presentation at the Vegetarian Food Fair last month, I learned so much! Looking forward to your Healthyween treats!

35 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 12, 2012

I have that bowl! I use it all the time in pics. Just used it in my post on Wednesday! I have it in cream and teal and wish it came in more colors – so versatile. And this granola, Angela, it sounds delish! Cinn buns are the best…and worked into homemade granola, even better!

36 Lauren October 12, 2012

Um, Butterfingers? Healthy Butterfingers? Yeah, that’s my request.

37 Megan @healthgeekchic October 12, 2012

This looks so wonderful–thanks for sharing!! I think I have to try it out today–what a great way to kick off the weekend!! :)

38 Rachel October 12, 2012

This granola looks amazing! Sometimes I wish I lived someplace less remote so I could more easily get hold of the ingredients to make all of these delicious-sounding recipes.

Treat-a-thon? Count me in! :) I do have a request: My favorite sweet this time of year has always been candy corn. I could literally stuff my face with an entire bag in one sitting! The problem is, most of the stuff has gelatine, and the brands that don’t? Artificial sugars and tons of synthetic ingredients/coloring! Can you make a healthy version of candy corn? Is that even possible? Or at least something with a candy corn-esque flavor?

It sounds like a pretty tough challenge, to me… ;)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I used to be obsessed with candy corn!!! It was my all time fav treat around Halloween, so it appears we are kindred spirits hah. I’ve seen recipes on the web that use corn syrup, but I wonder if it can be made with something else….hmmm.

40 Willow October 12, 2012

What an awesome collaboration! And how genius to make ‘cinnabon granola’… I can only imagine how addictive it must be!

41 Nyc2675 October 12, 2012

Hi Angela
This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing! Would you know how many calories it has per serving? Thank you very much.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I’m sorry I don’t know the nutritional info. You can try using Nutrition data or Calorie count – those are the websites I use when I calculate a recipe and they work fairly well.

43 Ali @ Project Kale October 12, 2012

This looked and sounded so delicious, that I’m literally baking it now as I comment. And you are right…the whole house smells like a cinnamon bun!! So yummy :) Thanks, looking forward to some healthy, fun treat recipes!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Aw, glad to hear that! Enjoy

45 Cristie October 12, 2012

This looks fantastic! Is there something I could substitute for the Buckwheat? I don’t have any and would love to make this today :0)

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

you could probably just add more oats, or rice crisp cereal, more nuts, sunflower seed, etc. Enjoy!

47 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 12, 2012

What a lovely recipe! I could eat this every day!

48 Leah O October 12, 2012

Can’t wait to make this granola! I LOVE your crock pot apple butter. I have made a batch already and just finished making my own variation: apple pear butter with vanilla and cardomom. AMAZING

49 Kimberly Andresen-Reed October 14, 2012

I’ve made two batches of the apple butter so far. The first was still somewhat apple-saucy, but the second batch was perfect, velvet buttery apple butter.

I actually topped this granola with the apple butter today. Good stuff!

50 Somer October 12, 2012

Ok, I know this is going to sound disgusting but I’m intrigued with a healthy candy corn type treat. Teehee, probably impossible!!!

51 Olivia October 12, 2012

Can’t wait to make this granola!

For Halloween I would love to make caramel apple bites (like a traditional caramel apple but sliced before dipped in caramel for extra caramel-ness and less mess).

52 Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 12, 2012

Y-U-M! I can’t keep granola in my house because all I do is eat my face off but I love it so much! What a clever idea!!!

53 Cara October 12, 2012

My two favorite fall treats are caramel apples and apple cider donuts. Caramel is usually made with a milk base, isn’t it? Can you make a vegan caramel apple?

54 Becky October 12, 2012

This sounds amazing! Should I soak the dates before using them?

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Becky, It’s your call. I think I forgot to put the dates in all together come to think of it. I did stir in the raisins after baking though (as I find they can puff up in the oven). If your dates are super firm you might want to soften them a bit first. Enjoy!

56 Lia October 12, 2012

Mmmmm Cinabons! This sounds like a great recipe! Wholesome ingredients and my mind can taste the yummyness already! So perfect for this time of year too…

57 Connie October 27, 2012

Angela! I LOVE your site! I am on it for hours at a time! I rave about it to everyone! My favorite the last month is the apple pie oatmeal! I eat it everyday! My girls call it apple pie! The following recipe for the granola sounds wonderful! Although, I’m wondering how hard the Buckwheat grouts are. I have used them in making bread, yet I cook them first. Are they really hard on the teeth? I just haven’t ever tried them raw before. Keep up the amazing dedication to your work! I would be LOST without it!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Thank you Connie! That means so much to me. The buckwheat groats are actually soften than you’d think (at least they were for me). I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. They aren’t nearly as hard, as say, raw millet. I hope you enjoy them!

59 Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset October 12, 2012

Oooooh! I’m SO excited for the healthy halloween treats!! And this granola is fabulous!!!!

60 Cara's Healthy Cravings October 12, 2012

Yum to the granola!
And yay to supporting the Elephant sanctuary!
From first hand experience, I can attest that it is a worthy cause.

61 Alex @ Raw Recovery October 12, 2012

My favorite Halloween dish (and it’s only “Halloween”-ish because my neighbors serve it at their party every year) is this terribly unhealthy cheese dip. I know you’ve done some work with cheese dips made from nooch, but I would love to see a slightly, spicy, healthy “cheeze” type dip.

62 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 12, 2012

Oh my goodness, Cinnabon! I can’t say I ever enjoyed taking the subway in Toronto, but smelling the Cinnabon stands wafting as I walked down the stairs always made the experience a little more bearable. This sounds delish Ange!

63 Tatomme @ FreshPotater October 12, 2012

Oh wow…This looks incredible!!

What about those molasses chew candies in the ugly orange packaging that would always line the bottom of every trick-or-treat bag and then be thrown out or traded?? For some reason I developed a love/hate for those stick-to-your-teeth chews!! haha

And just to let you know, I praised you and posted an adapted version of your pecan pie crust on my blog today!! You are such an inspiration to many dishes in my kitchen. Thank you, Angela!!

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2012

I used to have a love hate relationship with those chews too! hah

Thanks for the mention, I will check it out!

65 Mallory October 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing! I especially love hearing other peoples stories about volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park! It was by far the best experience of my life so far!!!

66 veganlisa October 12, 2012

Ange,
Thank you so much for posting about Tiny Treats. It really was a labour of love for us – to read about so many people enjoying what we have created fills my heart with joy.

Your support means so much!

Lots of love.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2012

My pleasure Lisa! Thanks for everything you do!

68 brownfam October 12, 2012

I have been looking for a good Granola recipe this week! This couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. – I’m trying it out tonight. Thanks so much to Lisa and Nicole for allowing this to be published!

69 berealyoga October 12, 2012

Angela, I’ve been scouring the interweb for a yummy wheat free vegan cinnamon roll with icing recipe and I have yet to find one. Can you please please please work your magic and make my cinnamon bun wishes come true?! Do you take requests? :D

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2012

I have a whole wheat yeast free one going in the book, but if it doesnt I will post it here for sure!

71 berealyoga October 13, 2012

That’s great news! I can’t wait for your book to come out — I hope it’s going well for you. Thanks so much for all you give to the vegan community. SUCH an inspiration! xoxo

72 Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia October 12, 2012

Yes!! Another grawnola recipe to add to the bunch!! I can tell from the ingredients that this particular one is a keeper! Thanks so much for sharing :] Healthy Halloween treats?! Can’t wait to see what you come up with :P I always looooved anything chewy, like Tootsie Rolls or Sour Patch Kids..and anything made with chocolate too, of course!

73 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 13, 2012

Oh my gosh, yum! I am definitely making this! I’m tempted to make it right now, but I already have 5 boxes of granola in my cupboard that I need to eat my way through haha. I’m kind of a granola addict!

74 Wendy October 13, 2012

Hi Angela, This sounds delish, I was wondering, substitutions for buckwheat groats? Not a fan of buckwheat, thanks…Love the blog

75 Sandy October 13, 2012

I am in love………with your website Angela! Love it 1000 times. I recently started my transition and accidently look at Oh she glows and it was love at first sight <3. Your recepies are helping me a lot with ideas what and how to cook. I am enjoying my new way of eating and being healty and I can't wait for your cook book and I hope I will be able to buy it here in Australia.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2012

Hi Sandy, Thank you for reading! So happy that you enjoy the blog so much. That warms my heart!

77 Sandy October 14, 2012

Dear Angela just keep us inspiring with your yummo recepies………<3

78 Ranelle October 13, 2012

Wow this granola looks delish! I’m gonna try it without the buckwheat groats since I don’t have them on hand, but I’ll pick them up next time I’m out.

Also, flipping thru a magazine this morning I saw a jar of a nut butter & I thought of you! 4 ingredients: peanuts, pecans, wildflower honey, sea salt. Just an idea if you want a salty sweet nut butter on hand :)

79 Tracy October 13, 2012

I think I will be making this granola very soon! Looks sooo good!
Every October I make chocolate mummy cookies to share. They are made using a gingerbread man cookie cutter and then you drizzle white chocolate to make them look like mummies with mini M&M eyes. They are super cute! But it would be nice to make a healthy version without a cup of butter and a cup of icing sugar per ~20 cookies!!

80 Lindsey October 13, 2012

I made this last night and didn’t have walnuts, so i subbed in pecans and it is to die for!!

81 Lydia B October 13, 2012

So excited to make this granola – this is going to be a MUCH cheaper cereal option for us! Any substitution for the buckwheat groats? I have every ingredient on hand but those and have pushed the specialty foods budget lately! Can it be omitted?

Thanks,
Lydia

82 Aly October 13, 2012

Please tell me the zephyr monster cookies is going to be in the treat-a-thon. I am so looking forward to that recipe!

83 Sadie October 13, 2012

You had me at Cinnabon (drooling)

84 Julie and Brit @twosaucysisters.wordpress.com October 13, 2012

This looks SO GOOD! Cinnamon buns are a personal fave – consider this granola made! :)

85 Kate October 13, 2012

This looks so wonderful! I might have to make a trip to the market in the morning so I can make it! Thanks for sharing!

86 Monja October 14, 2012

Hi Angela,
I´m from Germany and I love your blog. Been following for a while now. Ther was always something about making granola that intimidate me but made this one today and i must say yummy, yummy, yummy!! And so easy!! And after a 2h walk the flat has still the warm smell of cinabons :-)!!
Can´t wait for your halloween treats!!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2012

Im so happy to hear that! :) Enjoy

88 Allie October 14, 2012

Making this now added cashew butter!

89 Gwen @Simply Healthy Family October 14, 2012

What a great cause to donate to. Cookbook looks interesting, yummy.
Home made granola has been on my ‘to make’ list far too long… the shame.

Question about raw buckwheat groats (I’m not familiar) As most grains, seeds and nuts should be soaked or cooked to remove phytates as they act as a barrier preventing absorption of the nutrition in the seed. (In particular, they bind to calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc in the intestinal tract, and block their absorption.)

90 Kayti October 14, 2012

I’d like to know about orange frosting! What would you color it with? I’m thinking of cupcakes perhaps…

91 Elizabeth October 14, 2012

Pumpkin, anything Pumpkin!! Specifically pumpkin whoopie pies…

92 Dani October 14, 2012

What about a pumpkin version of the cookie dough blizzard? Maybe the cookie dough could be a pumpkin cookie variety? Or possibly the banana soft-serve could be the pumpkin/spice portion? A good pumpkin cookie is always my favorite treat this time of year! Thanks for the granola recipe, looks amazing!

93 Amanda October 14, 2012

Just made this today…served with diced pears slightly warmed and a splash of coconut milk… by far the yummiest feel good comfort food!!!!

94 Aly October 15, 2012

Please tell me that the Zephyr monster cookies are going to be included in the treat-a-thon… I love the cookies and have been anxiously awaiting their arrival as a recipe!

95 Sonal October 15, 2012

I am obsessed with Cinnabon!!! We don’t get it here so I have to have it when I go to the US. This will be amazingg to make in my own kitchen! :)

96 jessica October 15, 2012

This looks delish!! Can’t wait to try it out. For Hallowe’en treats I would love to find a healthier vegan version of hallowe’en kisses. Do you remember those?? You had to eat them the same night or else they’d be rock hard by the time you got around to them…or so I would tell myself!

97 allison October 15, 2012

MY granola turned out awesome :-) i made the pumpkin chia pudding and today in our lunches we had layered parfaits with it and the granola. yummmmmy :0)

98 Angela @ The Yoga Life Chicago October 15, 2012

Love all the vegan treats! Always trying to prove to my family it’s possible to still make the favorites! :)

Thank you!

99 Kimmy October 18, 2012

Oh I bought this e-book a few weeks ago and for some reason have only had time to make one recipe out of it (that and I’m trying to go a little easy on the treats right now) and would you believe it’s this recipe? The only problem I had was keeping it around for more than a few days ;p

100 Shannon October 21, 2012

I make these cookies (see address below) every year for Halloween but I’m hoping to make them a bit healthier this year now that I only make vegan baked goods. You’re experience would be greatly appreciated in making these fearsome treats a little bit more wholesome.

101 Lauren October 27, 2012

just made this on a rainy saturday AM in Toronto – my apartment smells heavenly, my boyfriend is smitten, and my belly is full :)
Yum yum!

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

So glad you enjoyed it – happy weekend!

103 Theresa October 28, 2012

Is there an oil-free recipe?

104 Theresa October 28, 2012

…Also, what else is in the bowl with that yummy granola? Chia pudding? What’s the sauce on top?

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

I think I served it with my vegan overnight oats. :)
I dont know if oil-free would work or not.

106 Melissa M October 28, 2012

This granola is amazing!!!! Only question, mine didn’t clump up at all! You say at the end to break it apart into cluster, but for me, there was nothing to break apart. Any words of wisdom?? Thank you!

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Hey Melissa, Mine didn’t clump either when baked in the oven. My guess is that Lisa’s did more so in the dehydrator? Either way, enjoy!

108 Emma October 29, 2012

Oh my SWEET goodness!!!! I am making this as I type and my apartment smells amazing!!!! So much for candles! Once the smells disappears I will start another batch! haha I didn’t have any buckwheat groats on hand, so I just added more oats and some raw pumpkin seeds as well!

109 Kristin October 31, 2012

This granola is SO DELICIOUS. I have made it several times already. I love it! The buckwheat in it adds such a great flavor too! love love love this granola.

110 sarah November 18, 2012

i tried this recipe and i loved it!!! it was soooo good!!

111 Caitlin December 14, 2012

I can’t stop eating this. Added chia seed, used brown rice syrup + honey instead of maple syrup, and OMG! Cashews are delicious in this recipe! It tastes like caramelized deliciousness. My husband no longer hates breakfast. Thank you!

112 Skyler December 16, 2012

This came out SO good- served it with almond milk and nut butter- what an absolutely delicious way to kick off winter break!

113 Sara Blakely January 1, 2013

I have been wanting to make this forever and finally tried it last night. The flavor was great but it didn’t really stick together so we didn’t have any clumps. I think next time I will add a little bit more of the liquid glaze. Also, I will soak the dates first because mine were hard from being in the fridge (and probably from being a little old). Even my Blendtec had trouble liquefying them. Tonight I am trying the Butternut squash with kale and Parmesan! Can’t wait!

114 Mary January 28, 2013

I LOVE granola and this looks delicious. I’m definitly going to make this :)

Just one question: Can I substitute almonds or anything else for the walnuts? I’m allergic to walnuts and pecans :/ Or could I just leave it out?

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Yes Im sure that would be fine :) Enjoy!

116 Nigelle February 14, 2013

Do you think if I replaced the maple syrup with the brown rice syrup that the granola would cluster?

117 Nigelle February 14, 2013

And to Sara Blakey: I placed my dates in a 4 cup liquid measure with the coconut oil , maple syrup, etc and put it in the microwave for 30 sec. The heat kind of helped the ingredients come together-maybe it would help your dry dates moisten. And btw: if you haven’t made the butternut and kale yet….you will LOVE it! Try making extra topping too…so yum!

118 Nigelle February 14, 2013

Oh and I used my immersion blender for the wet ingredients. Perfect- if you have one.

119 Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome May 9, 2013

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made it last night and have already devoured a good portion of it. So yummy. Question: how long would this stay good for, stored in a Bernardin jar?

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hi Lisa, My granola has lasted up to 1 month in a glass jar on the counter. Enjoy!

121 Summer` May 14, 2013

This is so stinking delicious, it’s ridiculous! I love the addition of the buckwheat–it adds a beautiful crunch to the finished product. I had to sub in pecans, as I’m out of walnuts. And, for some reason, I had to bake it 45 minutes to get it crunchy. But holy cow, this is addicting. What a fantastic recipe! Thank you so much!

122 Jessica July 6, 2013

I have made this granola so many times now! It is so good! I’ve also experimented with it by swapping out the walnuts for almonds, adding almond extract, and cut the spices in half to make a modified version. Super yummy and lots of thanks for posting! However, I now blame you for my budding granola addiction. ;)

123 Ashley B January 25, 2014

Is there something I can substitute for dates? I love the recipe but dates are so expensive and I’m really trying to budget my grocery bill.

124 Lori February 2, 2014

I just made this granola and wanted to compliment (and than you for!) the recipe; It is delicious. I am very much looking forward to the release of the cookbook.. I used raw millet in lieu of groats (I absentmindedly left the bag of groats in the bulk section) and it has a nice crunch.

125 Emily Fyffe December 8, 2014

Cinnamon is my favorite flavor of all time. I just made this and it was amazing! I don’t think I’ll ever get store bought granola cereal again!!!

126 Kristen July 13, 2015

Just made this last night and am so happy with the results. I followed the wet ingredients (blended them with the spices & salt), but modified the dry a little – only 1 cup oats, 1 cup buckwheat groats, same amount of walnuts & coconut, added 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Baking took a lot longer so I just lowered the temp a bit to ensure it didn’t brown too much. I didn’t get clusters but that doesn’t matter…it’s the flavor! Thanks for a great recipe

127 Hannah August 8, 2015

You talk about delicious! This was too good not to sure. Thank you so much!

128 Liana December 28, 2015

Just made this to add as a topping on my acai and smoothie bowls. It’s so delicious!

129 Wendy January 30, 2016

Do you dehydrate yours, it seems adding the raisins before baking would make them like rocks when it’s finished.