Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat-a-thon!

cinnamon bun granola-6628

Recently, Lisa from Vegan Culinary Crusade and Nicole from A Dash of Compassion launched Tiny Treats – an e-cookbook devoted to 25 recipes free of wheat, soy, eggs, dairy, and refined flour/sugar. Needless to say, I was excited to check it out when Lisa offered to send me a copy. The recipes are unique, healthy, and elegant all at the same time, not to mention the photography and page layouts could be straight out of a food magazine. You can really tell how much time and love went into creating this book!

Screen-shot-2012-09-26-at-10.34.12-AM

The best part, aside from the wholesome desserts, is that Lisa and Nicole are donating a third of all ebook proceeds to the Elephant Nature Park in Northern Thailand. You can read all about Lisa’s volunteer efforts at the Elephant Nature Park on her blog here and here. If you wish, help support their mission by purchasing an ebook here.

Lisa and Nicole generously allowed me to share a teaser recipe from the ebook today – Cinnamon Bun Granola!

I have one word to describe this granola:

CINNABON.

You know, the smell that has tortured people in shopping malls everywhere for years? I sure do. Well, now that smell can be found in your own house! A big, gooey cinnamon bun….in granola form.

cinnamon bun granola tiny treats-6619

Cinnamon Bun Granola from Tiny Treats Ebook

Shared with permission by Lisa Pitman and Nicole Axworthy. Tiny Treats Ebook. Copyright 2012.

From Lisa and Nicole: If we ever open a vegan B&B, this will be on each breakfast-in-bed tray. We would keep the guestrooms full by serving it up differently each day–in a layered parfait glass with sliced apples and almond yogurt, or on top of our favourite banana soft serve, or in special tea cup with a substantial splash of coconut milk. The options are endless.

Email, text, or print this recipe.

GRANOLA

1/2 cup (120mL) pure maple syrup
1/4 cup (50g) Medjool dates, pitted
2 tbsp (30mL) melted coconut oil
2 tbsp (30mL) water
2 tsp (10mL) pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, buckwheat, walnuts, shredded coconut, raisins, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
2. Using a blender, blend the maple syrup, dates, coconut oil, water and vanilla extract into a smooth, thick sauce.
3. Pour the sauce into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are well coated.

DEHYDRATOR METHOD
4. Transfer the granola to a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray and spread into a thin (about 1/2 inch thick), even layer. Dehydrate for 8 to 10 hours at 115F.

OVEN METHOD
4. Preheat the oven to 300F. Transfer the mixture to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin, even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, gently stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even browning. Allow to cool completely before gently breaking into clusters. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or at room temperature.

Makes about 6 cups of granola.

cinnamon bun granola-6621cinnamon bun granola-6616

I made this granola in the oven and it turned out lovely. Next time, I will have to try it in my dehydrator…if I can wait that long!

If you’d like to purchase your own copy of Tiny Treats, you can do so here for $9.99. Big thanks to Lisa and Nicole for allowing me to share this amazing recipe with you all today!

IMG_7326662-2

I’ve been working on a bunch of treats to share with you this month, so stay tuned for some delicious, spooky fun! If you have a Halloween treat you’d like healthy-ween-ized (just go with it), let me know in the comments below. I’ll try to pick a couple to add to my list.

Just please don’t ask me to make a cat litter cake (Sketchie doesn’t want one either).

Page 3 of 3«123
Wendy January 30, 2016

Do you dehydrate yours, it seems adding the raisins before baking would make them like rocks when it’s finished.

Liana December 28, 2015

Just made this to add as a topping on my acai and smoothie bowls. It’s so delicious!

Hannah August 8, 2015

You talk about delicious! This was too good not to sure. Thank you so much!

Kristen July 13, 2015

Just made this last night and am so happy with the results. I followed the wet ingredients (blended them with the spices & salt), but modified the dry a little – only 1 cup oats, 1 cup buckwheat groats, same amount of walnuts & coconut, added 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Baking took a lot longer so I just lowered the temp a bit to ensure it didn’t brown too much. I didn’t get clusters but that doesn’t matter…it’s the flavor! Thanks for a great recipe

Emily Fyffe December 8, 2014

Cinnamon is my favorite flavor of all time. I just made this and it was amazing! I don’t think I’ll ever get store bought granola cereal again!!!

Lori February 2, 2014

I just made this granola and wanted to compliment (and than you for!) the recipe; It is delicious. I am very much looking forward to the release of the cookbook.. I used raw millet in lieu of groats (I absentmindedly left the bag of groats in the bulk section) and it has a nice crunch.

Ashley B January 25, 2014

Is there something I can substitute for dates? I love the recipe but dates are so expensive and I’m really trying to budget my grocery bill.

Jessica July 6, 2013

I have made this granola so many times now! It is so good! I’ve also experimented with it by swapping out the walnuts for almonds, adding almond extract, and cut the spices in half to make a modified version. Super yummy and lots of thanks for posting! However, I now blame you for my budding granola addiction. ;)

Summer` May 14, 2013

This is so stinking delicious, it’s ridiculous! I love the addition of the buckwheat–it adds a beautiful crunch to the finished product. I had to sub in pecans, as I’m out of walnuts. And, for some reason, I had to bake it 45 minutes to get it crunchy. But holy cow, this is addicting. What a fantastic recipe! Thank you so much!

Lisa @ Live and Be Awesome May 9, 2013

Hi Angela,

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made it last night and have already devoured a good portion of it. So yummy. Question: how long would this stay good for, stored in a Bernardin jar?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

Hi Lisa, My granola has lasted up to 1 month in a glass jar on the counter. Enjoy!

Nigelle February 14, 2013

Oh and I used my immersion blender for the wet ingredients. Perfect- if you have one.

Nigelle February 14, 2013

And to Sara Blakey: I placed my dates in a 4 cup liquid measure with the coconut oil , maple syrup, etc and put it in the microwave for 30 sec. The heat kind of helped the ingredients come together-maybe it would help your dry dates moisten. And btw: if you haven’t made the butternut and kale yet….you will LOVE it! Try making extra topping too…so yum!

Nigelle February 14, 2013

Do you think if I replaced the maple syrup with the brown rice syrup that the granola would cluster?

Mary January 28, 2013

I LOVE granola and this looks delicious. I’m definitly going to make this :)

Just one question: Can I substitute almonds or anything else for the walnuts? I’m allergic to walnuts and pecans :/ Or could I just leave it out?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Yes Im sure that would be fine :) Enjoy!

Sara Blakely January 1, 2013

I have been wanting to make this forever and finally tried it last night. The flavor was great but it didn’t really stick together so we didn’t have any clumps. I think next time I will add a little bit more of the liquid glaze. Also, I will soak the dates first because mine were hard from being in the fridge (and probably from being a little old). Even my Blendtec had trouble liquefying them. Tonight I am trying the Butternut squash with kale and Parmesan! Can’t wait!

Skyler December 16, 2012

This came out SO good- served it with almond milk and nut butter- what an absolutely delicious way to kick off winter break!

Caitlin December 14, 2012

I can’t stop eating this. Added chia seed, used brown rice syrup + honey instead of maple syrup, and OMG! Cashews are delicious in this recipe! It tastes like caramelized deliciousness. My husband no longer hates breakfast. Thank you!

sarah November 18, 2012

i tried this recipe and i loved it!!! it was soooo good!!