Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat-a-thon!

cinnamon bun granola 6628   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!

Recently, Lisa from Vegan Culinary Crusade and Nicole from A Dash of Compassion launched Tiny Treats – an e-cookbook devoted to 25 recipes free of wheat, soy, eggs, dairy, and refined flour/sugar. Needless to say, I was excited to check it out when Lisa offered to send me a copy. The recipes are unique, healthy, and elegant all at the same time, not to mention the photography and page layouts could be straight out of a food magazine. You can really tell how much time and love went into creating this book!

Screen shot 2012 09 26 at 10.34.12 AM   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!

The best part, aside from the wholesome desserts, is that Lisa and Nicole are donating a third of all ebook proceeds to the Elephant Nature Park in Northern Thailand. You can read all about Lisa’s volunteer efforts at the Elephant Nature Park on her blog here and here. If you wish, help support their mission by purchasing an ebook here.

Lisa and Nicole generously allowed me to share a teaser recipe from the ebook today – Cinnamon Bun Granola!

I have one word to describe this granola:

CINNABON.

You know, the smell that has tortured people in shopping malls everywhere for years? I sure do. Well, now that smell can be found in your own house! A big, gooey cinnamon bun….in granola form.

cinnamon bun granola tiny treats 6619   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!

Cinnamon Bun Granola from Tiny Treats Ebook

Shared with permission by Lisa Pitman and Nicole Axworthy. Tiny Treats Ebook. Copyright 2012.

From Lisa and Nicole: If we ever open a vegan B&B, this will be on each breakfast-in-bed tray. We would keep the guestrooms full by serving it up differently each day–in a layered parfait glass with sliced apples and almond yogurt, or on top of our favourite banana soft serve, or in special tea cup with a substantial splash of coconut milk. The options are endless.

Email, text, or print this recipe.

GRANOLA

1/2 cup (120mL) pure maple syrup
1/4 cup (50g) Medjool dates, pitted
2 tbsp (30mL) melted coconut oil
2 tbsp (30mL) water
2 tsp (10mL) pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, buckwheat, walnuts, shredded coconut, raisins, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
2. Using a blender, blend the maple syrup, dates, coconut oil, water and vanilla extract into a smooth, thick sauce.
3. Pour the sauce into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are well coated.

DEHYDRATOR METHOD
4. Transfer the granola to a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray and spread into a thin (about 1/2 inch thick), even layer. Dehydrate for 8 to 10 hours at 115F.

OVEN METHOD
4. Preheat the oven to 300F. Transfer the mixture to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin, even layer. Bake for 25 minutes, gently stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even browning. Allow to cool completely before gently breaking into clusters. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge or at room temperature.

Makes about 6 cups of granola.

cinnamon bun granola 6621   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!cinnamon bun granola 6616   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!

I made this granola in the oven and it turned out lovely. Next time, I will have to try it in my dehydrator…if I can wait that long!

If you’d like to purchase your own copy of Tiny Treats, you can do so here for $9.99. Big thanks to Lisa and Nicole for allowing me to share this amazing recipe with you all today!

IMG 7326662 2   Cinnamon Bun Granola Recipe + Halloween Treat a thon!

I’ve been working on a bunch of treats to share with you this month, so stay tuned for some delicious, spooky fun! If you have a Halloween treat you’d like healthy-ween-ized (just go with it), let me know in the comments below. I’ll try to pick a couple to add to my list.

Just please don’t ask me to make a cat litter cake (Sketchie doesn’t want one either).

Kathy Steger October 12, 2012

There is something about granola. There must be somthing extra special about Cinabon granola…. I have to make some. :)

celina October 12, 2012

WOW this would be incredible as a granola bar too!
Can you make healthy caramel apple CHIPS!?

Georgina October 12, 2012

Amazing!! Can’t wait to try it. This fall I’ve enjoyed making your Apple Butter and Pumpkin butter. Mmm.. Healthy cinnabon!

katherine October 12, 2012

Hi! I absolutely love your website! I relatively recently started transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and your recipes have been such a help! I was wondering, is there a substitute for coconut oil in the granola recipe? Im allergic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Katherine, Thanks for your kind words! You could probably sub the coconut oil for a light tasting oil, such as grapeseed.

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 12, 2012

I can’t wait to see what treats you will be sharing with us! I *love* how Pumpkin/Fall oriented your blog has been lately!

Danielle October 12, 2012

This looks really good, think I’m gonna try it next week!

Laura October 12, 2012

You know, I’m nervous about the buckwheat groats… I’ve tried making your smoothie recipe and for whatever reason, I can’t get away from the slime factor once liquid is introduced… Can you speak to that? Maybe do a tutorial? Or is it just me – I’ll have to get over it?

Hey Laura,

You may be happy to know the buckwheat doesn’t get slimy in this granola :) Stays crunchy and dry! :)

Which smoothie recipe do you mean?

Laura October 12, 2012

The Raw Buckwheat Porridge – the picture I want to eat right off the screen… :-) I’ve made it twice, and just seem to be unable to rinse the buckwheat enough… Thanks for your insight!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

oh yes that one is slimy!! Just the nature of the soaked buckwheat. It doesn’t bother me but I could see how it could. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 12, 2012

You could add “cinnamon roll” to any recipe and I’d have a Pavlovian response. Cinnamon Roll Liverwurst. Yum. Or maybe that was taking it too far… LOL!

Maja October 12, 2012

Oh my yum!! I love cinnamon anything, so this is a must-try!
Have you ever tried pumkin & olive oil granola? This is my go to. Honestly, the BEST!!
just in case you wanna have a look :)

Lisa October 12, 2012

Oh wow. I think I’m going to get up from the computer this second to make this. One question — most granola recipes say to add the dried fruit after baking — but you add it before, in this case?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

good question – I added the raisins *after* baking because that’s usually how I do it too. I will add that into my post.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 12, 2012

Yum, this granola looks fabulous! I’m doing a couple of spooky Halloween treats on my blog too! Next week: Monster eyes… haha I just love Halloween. I was going to start on the recipes this morning until I realized that the baking temperature in my new oven isn’t right… sooo gotta deal with that before I make the eye balls.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 12, 2012

Mmmm cinnamon! I love anything cinnamon so I am sure this is delicious! Perfect for fall.

Nicole October 12, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing the ebook love! I’m so happy you enjoyed the granola and wanted to share it with others. That Cinnabon smell is so addictive!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing Nicole! I’m sure it will be enjoyed by many. I hope you raise a ton of money for the elephants! Keep me posted.

Cher @ Weddicted October 12, 2012

Granola in the dehydrator – duh! Why did I not think of that? And lol @ cat litter cake – how appetizing ;)

Abby@ Totes Delish October 12, 2012

That cookbook will be going on my wishlist! I am always drawn in by Cinnabon, why are they sooo good?!

Shundara October 12, 2012

I am so excited for the treatahon I was looking for healthy Halloween treats and can’t find anything I would like to make. I am excited to see your creations…

Sarah October 12, 2012

I have actually been to the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand and can honestly say that its such an amazing place!! The amount of time that the volunteers and staff dedicate to the elephants that have suffered is truly inspiring! Such a great idea for donations – I will be purchasing the e-book for sure!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I can imagine that would’ve been a great experience! I would love to go there some day. Thanks for supporting the book!

Heidi kokborg October 12, 2012

Oh my! It looks so delicious! And I love the smell of cinnamon – it makes me think about december and christmas :) I will definitey make this granola when I have finished the rest of the granola I already have in the house.
I can’t wait to see your halloween treat. My birthday is on Halloween (like OSG!!), and I need some inspiration for dessert and treats to mty birthday, so your timing is perfect! :)

Brinklen October 12, 2012

I have a confession: I am enamored with Medjool dates and want to add them all my sweets! But I need protein with them, and c’mon, let’s be honest, dried dates look kinda spooky! If you can muster some creativity juices with dates and a protein, I would be ecstatic! Seriously. An Ang-verson of goat cheese stuffed dates would be a GREAT fingerfood for my autumnal festival! I’m looooving and sharing with non-vegs my raw brownies, so I’ve got that one down. But always on the lookout for baby Oh She Glows recipes to add to my repertoire! :) Thanks, girl!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

How did you know I was thinking about some kind of “cockroach” inspired medjool date :)

Brinklen October 16, 2012

Great minds think alike! :)
Can’t wait to see how you bring it to life! With such gorgeous photography, even an icky “cockroach” will look ah-mazing!

Alexa October 19, 2013

I know you commented on this a while ago, but I just tried dates for the first time and, after absolutely loving them, was looking for a protein pairing for snacks. I’ve found that stuffing pitted dates with nut butter – especially peanut butter – is quite divine!

allison October 12, 2012

i love that you’re doing this. My oldest daughter is a Halloween baby. It’s an important holiday in our house! Can you maybe come up with something spectacular and healthy I can send in her lunch that day? She’s an awesome healthy eater and LOVES pumpkin. I’m sooooo looking forward to your upcoming recipes.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 12, 2012

Okay, describing the granola as “cinnabon” totally got my attention. Yum!

kim@hungryhealthygirl October 12, 2012

The granola looks super yummy, I will definitely have to give it a try! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got cooked up for healthy treats!

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) October 12, 2012

I’m excited about the treats. Woohoo!

Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen October 12, 2012

I love the Tiny Treats recipe book! Lisa and Nicole did a fabulous presentation at the Vegetarian Food Fair last month, I learned so much! Looking forward to your Healthyween treats!

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 12, 2012

I have that bowl! I use it all the time in pics. Just used it in my post on Wednesday! I have it in cream and teal and wish it came in more colors – so versatile. And this granola, Angela, it sounds delish! Cinn buns are the best…and worked into homemade granola, even better!

Lauren October 12, 2012

Um, Butterfingers? Healthy Butterfingers? Yeah, that’s my request.

Megan @healthgeekchic October 12, 2012

This looks so wonderful–thanks for sharing!! I think I have to try it out today–what a great way to kick off the weekend!! :)

Rachel October 12, 2012

This granola looks amazing! Sometimes I wish I lived someplace less remote so I could more easily get hold of the ingredients to make all of these delicious-sounding recipes.

Treat-a-thon? Count me in! :) I do have a request: My favorite sweet this time of year has always been candy corn. I could literally stuff my face with an entire bag in one sitting! The problem is, most of the stuff has gelatine, and the brands that don’t? Artificial sugars and tons of synthetic ingredients/coloring! Can you make a healthy version of candy corn? Is that even possible? Or at least something with a candy corn-esque flavor?

It sounds like a pretty tough challenge, to me… ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I used to be obsessed with candy corn!!! It was my all time fav treat around Halloween, so it appears we are kindred spirits hah. I’ve seen recipes on the web that use corn syrup, but I wonder if it can be made with something else….hmmm.

Willow October 12, 2012

What an awesome collaboration! And how genius to make ‘cinnabon granola’… I can only imagine how addictive it must be!

Nyc2675 October 12, 2012

Hi Angela
This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing! Would you know how many calories it has per serving? Thank you very much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

I’m sorry I don’t know the nutritional info. You can try using Nutrition data or Calorie count – those are the websites I use when I calculate a recipe and they work fairly well.

Ali @ Project Kale October 12, 2012

This looked and sounded so delicious, that I’m literally baking it now as I comment. And you are right…the whole house smells like a cinnamon bun!! So yummy :) Thanks, looking forward to some healthy, fun treat recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Aw, glad to hear that! Enjoy

Cristie October 12, 2012

This looks fantastic! Is there something I could substitute for the Buckwheat? I don’t have any and would love to make this today :0)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

you could probably just add more oats, or rice crisp cereal, more nuts, sunflower seed, etc. Enjoy!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 12, 2012

What a lovely recipe! I could eat this every day!

Leah O October 12, 2012

Can’t wait to make this granola! I LOVE your crock pot apple butter. I have made a batch already and just finished making my own variation: apple pear butter with vanilla and cardomom. AMAZING

Kimberly Andresen-Reed October 14, 2012

I’ve made two batches of the apple butter so far. The first was still somewhat apple-saucy, but the second batch was perfect, velvet buttery apple butter.

I actually topped this granola with the apple butter today. Good stuff!

Somer October 12, 2012

Ok, I know this is going to sound disgusting but I’m intrigued with a healthy candy corn type treat. Teehee, probably impossible!!!

Olivia October 12, 2012

Can’t wait to make this granola!

For Halloween I would love to make caramel apple bites (like a traditional caramel apple but sliced before dipped in caramel for extra caramel-ness and less mess).

Emily @ www.main-eats.com October 12, 2012

Y-U-M! I can’t keep granola in my house because all I do is eat my face off but I love it so much! What a clever idea!!!

Cara October 12, 2012

My two favorite fall treats are caramel apples and apple cider donuts. Caramel is usually made with a milk base, isn’t it? Can you make a vegan caramel apple?

Becky October 12, 2012

This sounds amazing! Should I soak the dates before using them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Hey Becky, It’s your call. I think I forgot to put the dates in all together come to think of it. I did stir in the raisins after baking though (as I find they can puff up in the oven). If your dates are super firm you might want to soften them a bit first. Enjoy!

Lia October 12, 2012

Mmmmm Cinabons! This sounds like a great recipe! Wholesome ingredients and my mind can taste the yummyness already! So perfect for this time of year too…

Connie October 27, 2012

Angela! I LOVE your site! I am on it for hours at a time! I rave about it to everyone! My favorite the last month is the apple pie oatmeal! I eat it everyday! My girls call it apple pie! The following recipe for the granola sounds wonderful! Although, I’m wondering how hard the Buckwheat grouts are. I have used them in making bread, yet I cook them first. Are they really hard on the teeth? I just haven’t ever tried them raw before. Keep up the amazing dedication to your work! I would be LOST without it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Thank you Connie! That means so much to me. The buckwheat groats are actually soften than you’d think (at least they were for me). I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. They aren’t nearly as hard, as say, raw millet. I hope you enjoy them!

Page 1 of 3123»