Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 28, 2012

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6663

Somehow, I managed to live the first 25-26 years of my life before trying spaghetti squash. Actually, I could add many, many foods to that list. When I first came across spaghetti squash, I didn’t quite know what to think of it. Stringy strands of squash? How the heck do I get that to work? It seems weird. Naturally, this only made me want to try it more!

spaghetti squash-6689

Well, it is a bit weird when you think about it, but it’s also now one of my favourite foods. I could add many things to that list too.

Similar to my beloved zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash makes a light, fiberiffic base for pasta sauce, pesto, chili, stews, and even my creamy avocado pasta sauce. It’s also a great way to up your veggie intake without even realizing it. I can easily pound back an entire squash all on my own. [Did I just say “pound back” and “squash” in the same sentence? Speaking of weird…]

This big squash (photographed) hails from Aylmer, Ontario – a hefty 5 pounder!

If you’ve ever been intimidated by preparing and roasting a spaghetti squash like I have, I hope these step-by-step photos are helpful.

Note: If you really, really don’t want to slice the squash in half, rest assured you can roast squash whole (just pierce it with a few knife cuts first). I prefer to slice it in half for a couple reasons: 1) I season the squash before roasting and the flavour infuses as it roasts, and 2) It cooks in a fraction of the time – often ~20 minutes faster compared to roasting it whole. However, roasting it whole is a nice option if you have a really big squash and a dull knife!

How I Roast Spaghetti Squash:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F. If your squash is quite large, start by slicing off the stem. This makes it easier to slice through and also gives you a flat base to work with. You can do this on a cutting board or an old tea towel.

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6664 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6665 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6666

2. Place squash flat end down. With a [recently sharpened] chef’s knife, slice down the middle lengthwise. I like to use a “rocking” motion to cut through. This big squash was challenging, but a slow and steady pace eventually won the race…or something like that.

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6667 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6670 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6672

3. With a metal ice cream scoop (my Zyliss scoop works amazing for this!) or spoon, scoop out the seeds & guts. Set aside seeds if you plan to roast them later. And you will, right?

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6677 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6678

4. Brush halves with a tiny amount of olive oil (I used maybe 1/2 tsp oil on each). Sprinkle with Herbamare (or sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cut side down. The salt & pepper you just sprinkled on will stick to the oil.

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6681 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6682 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6683

5. Roast at 375F for around 35-45 minutes, or until you can easily scrape strands away from the squash. The outer yellow skin will also deepen in colour. Baking time will vary depending on the size. My 5-pound squash took 40 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and flip each half. At this point, feel free to use the fork to see if the strands easily come off. If it’s ready, cool for about 5-10 minutes and then grab the fork and scrape the squash flesh over and over. You’ll be left with a bunch of spaghetti-like strands! Season again and serve immediately – in the shell if you wish.

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6685 how to roast a spaghetti squash-6687

My 5 pound squash made just over 4 cups of “spaghetti” strands – the perfect amount for Eric and I to share.

how to roast a spaghetti squash-6695

Something as simple as salt, pepper, marinara, dried basil, and garlic powder is a fantastic combo. I could eat this every. single. day.

I also love to serve homemade chili or stew on top.

Or in this case, creamy avocado sauce.

avocado pasta with squash-3128

For this recipe, I played around with my creamy avocado pasta sauce. It was so good I had to share the results. To email, print, or text this recipe, click here.

avocado pasta-3143

We enjoyed the roasted squash seeds while watching some great fall tv! Anyone catch The Mindy Project this week? I’m pretty much obsessed with it after 1 show. Also, glad to have Up All Night back on – another show I never miss.

To my surprise, the seeds taste just like sugar pumpkin seeds. yum!

spaghetti squash seeds-6717

What’s your favourite way to enjoy spaghetti squash?

What are your must-see fall tv shows?

Lisa C September 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

We love spaghetti squash topped with roasted veggies (mushrooms, red peppers, onions, zucchini, etc.) and a pesto like the recipe you have for pesto made with beans – over the top in flavor. But who knew you could roast the seeds? They have all the same health benefits, no doubt, as pumpkin seeds. Three cheers for a multi-tasking food!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 8:41 am

Oh veggies and pesto sounds to die for! I’ll have to try that soon.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 28, 2012 at 8:40 am

Don’t take this weird but…I LOVE YOU!!! I bought a spaghetti squash a few days ago and thought “now what??” It’s been taunting me ever since. Come here little squash…prepare to meet your tasty doom!

Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 8:42 am

hah right back at ya!
I can relate to having squash sit on the counter for a long time…hope you enjoy it!

NA January 12, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Haha, I was going to say the same thing… I love you and your blog! A lifesaver for someone looking for low carb vegan recipes! :)

Arminda September 28, 2012 at 8:41 am

I can’t wait to try this! I love different ways to get my avocado fix!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

This is my favorite squash! Did you know you can microwave it too? Super fast and easy.

You guys got a big one! Ours are still teeny this early in the season.

LauraD September 28, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love spaghetti squash even if it is kind of strange :) I will sometimes mix half pasta and half spaghetti squash together for a few more carbs. I never thought of using avocado sauce on it though. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jennifer September 28, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am also obsessed with The MIndy Project after one show! So much obsessed that I watched it twice this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Isn’t it great? Threw me by surprise! I heard great reviews about it, so Im glad I watched.

Amy September 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

I LOVE spaghetti squash. I can eat a whole one myself and have to pack away some leftovers as soon as it comes out of the oven! I love to eat it with chicken parm and roasted tomatoes. Strangely, I also top it with taco meat instead of using a tortilla. And roasting the seeds is a must!

Michelle September 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

I love how creative you are with all your recipes. Avocado is one of my favorite “must have” food, and I’m glad I have another recipe to try with this. I came across your avocado pasta a few months ago and absolutely loved it!! I would of never thought of squash as an alternative to the noodles. Brilliant!

Lisa (Foreign Pavement) September 28, 2012 at 9:04 am

The idea of using the avocado sauce is wonderful. Usually I go with the marinara + seasonings + a cheese of some sort. I need to get better about using the seeds for something as I typically just toss them.

Ah, Fall shows, don’t remind me! :) We cancelled our cable!

amy September 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

A trick i’ve learned is to stick the whole squash in the oven while it’s preheating to soften it a bit before cutting in half…it works for me! I just made your creamy avocado sauce on Wednesday night and my son ate two big bowls of it over spaghetti! I posted a pic on instagram with an ohsheglows hashtag :)

amy September 28, 2012 at 9:41 am

I forgot to mention that I added about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to the avocado sauce – gave it a nice little cheesy tang.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

Another great tip. :)

Sarah @ Yogi in Action September 28, 2012 at 9:27 am

This post is perfect timing! I have a spaghetti squash sitting in my fridge right now and I wasn’t sure what I should do with it! Now I’m looking forward to enjoying it.

[email protected] September 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love your creamy avocado pasta sauce on everything from salads to eggs!! Will definitely have to give it a try on spaghetti squash next time!!

Dee Wyatt September 28, 2012 at 9:38 am

I am definitely putting spaghetti squash on my shopping list. I’ve had it before but haven’t been *that* impressed. I’ll have to try it with your avocado sauce though!
About fall TV shows, this is my first year actually watching them! I’ve caught up via hulu and now I’m addicted to Parenthood (my fav) and Modern Family. I’m way too excited for Downton Abby to start again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’ve heard good things about all of those shows, but have yet to watch any.
Goodluck with your next squash attempt!

Aubrey September 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Mine favorite way Is the one I have up in my blog!!

Tonya September 28, 2012 at 9:48 am

How awesome is the Mindy project?? Gonna miss Mindy Kaling’s “Kelly Kapoor” character on the Office but they’re wrapping up their series anyway. Glad she has her own show!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 10:30 am

Agree – she is so funny on the office. Now that I see her on her own show though, she really shines.
The office is holding its own even without Steve. We still watch it every week. This week’s episode was quite funny!

jenna September 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

spaghetti squash is one of my favorites. this looks so good! love!

Janae @ Bring-Joy September 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

I don’t have a ton of time to watch TV but I did really love the first episode of Go On. Also, I’m just barely getting into Parenthood & love it (but am watching the 1st season on Netflix to catch up!).

Love spaghetti squash–it’s a great alternative for us gluten intolerant folks.

Lauren @ La Dolce Pita September 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

I have been meaning to try that creamy avocado sauce FOR-E-VER. must try this weekend.

Must see fall shows? I am loving the return of Up All Night. And Modern Family, of course. And anxiously awaiting American Horror Story next month!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 10:27 am

I have never seen Modern family! Thinking I need to finally get on that bandwagon. :)

Michelle {LiveLoudly} October 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Modern Family: we kept missing it last year. It’s hilarious and we have made sure not to miss it again and again this year = tv set to record series.

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay September 28, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow, thank you SO much for posting this how-to and step-by-step pics… I’ve always seen spaghetti squash in the grocery store but I always wondered what the heck to do with it. I’m totally buying a squash now :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 28, 2012 at 10:38 am

Fun idea! I neeeed to try this :)

Heidi kokborg September 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wow! I have never tried spaghetti squash, but oh my does it look good! And I am a huge sucker for avocado, so I definitely have to try this recipe :) Thank you, Ange :)

Iris Lee September 28, 2012 at 11:00 am

Thanks for the tutorial!! I always steam my spaghetti squash, but it’s really easy to make it too mushy that way. I’ll try roasting next time!

Kate September 28, 2012 at 11:14 am

I had never thought of cutting it before, my mom taught me to roast it before cutting it so it wasn’t as difficult to cut. This way too I always have well steamed seeds & just include them in my meal! So yummy! But, now that I know you can cut it first & bake the seeds for a snack…I may have to give this a go!!! Thanks for another great recipe!!! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 28, 2012 at 11:16 am

You have me craving spaghetti for breakfast now! What a gorgeous squash and thanks for the tutorial.

Love the pics…the black background and vibrant yellow squash. They just Pop!

Jen September 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

I love spaghetti squash and was planning to make some this weekend…but it never even occurred to me to roast the seeds! Do they taste similar to roasted pumpkin seeds? I assume I can roast them using the same method as in your pumpkin seed post from the other day?

Lauren September 28, 2012 at 11:40 am

I just had spaghetti squash the other night, and I made a delicious lemon caper sauce to go on top! I think I actually like it better than pasta, probably because I know it’s healthy, and, psychologically, that makes it taste better! :-)

Lauren September 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

It has been ages since I’ve made your creamy avocado sauce so now I’m thinking I need to change that. I’ve never been a huge fan of pasta so spaghetti squash is a perfect alternative for me. Thanks for the great recipe Angela!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset September 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm

The Mindy Project is amazing! I loved it! I had to watch it after reading her book, that’s for sure :)

You’re killing me with these squash recipes- in the best way possible of course! :P My squash cravings are at an all time high, yet I have none! Must.rectify.asap.

Rachel @Almonds and Avocados September 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I’ve still somehow never tried spaghetti squash and bought a big, beautiful one a couple days ago!! Your recipe came at the perfect time–I’ll be making this tonight! Thanks for posting!

Jenn September 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I ADORE spaghetti squash! Never tried the avo/squash combo, however…will have to add this to my must-try for fall list!

Beks September 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

A couple weeks ago, I made spaghetti squash pad thai. Sooooooo yummy! And way more filling than when I made it with plain spaghetti or rice noodles.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012 at 1:56 pm

that is such a great idea!!

Addy @ Six-Kick Switch September 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Oooh, sadly I can’t do spaghetti squash anymore (bad encounter with food poisoning) but I have tried your Avocado Sauce and it is KILLER! I added it to a pasta salad last weekend and people loved it!

Andrea September 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

This post has excellent timing because I made this very dish just last night, and it was my first time playing with spaghetti squash, too! Instead of creamy avocado sauce, though, I used chunks of avocado with a bit of parmesan, and an egg sunny-side up! I used lemon and pepper to season the spaghetti squash. This might be my new country food.

BTW, I’ve been reading your blog for six months and I love it! When I’m tired I tend to hop on Google Reader, and your entries always make me want to get up and take on the world again.

Andrea September 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

comfort* haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

Thank you Andrea, I’m so happy to hear that :) Good to see Im not the only one combining avocado and squash (which sounds weird but really works!)

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli September 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm

the office is my all-time fav….I’ll have to check out the Mindy Project, I’m guessing I’ll like it as well :) annnd the Middle. annnd Modern Family. Fall is the time that I start working out at home with the TV on :)

Allie September 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I went 25 years without spaghetti squash too–had it for the first time this week, and I’m pretty sure I’m in love. Gotta try it with some avocado sauce now!

Willow September 28, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Ooh, I adore spaghetti squash (and its seeds)! I actually like to make my regular spaghetti, only with squash instead of noodles, and then top it with the roasted seeds for a bit of salty crunch – yum! :D

gretchen September 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Oh my god, this is *exactly* what I ate last night [with the avocado sauce!] And it was outstanding.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

great minds think alike ;)

Lindsay September 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Wow, I just happen to have a spaghetti squash hanging around my kitchen, and I’ve been trying to think of a way to Jazz it up. Thanks for the inspiration! Unfortunately, the weather in sunny California hasn’t gotten the memo that it’s FALL and time to be crisp and cool so I can make comfort-food recipes…maybe I will just crank up the air-conditioning for this one…

Leah September 28, 2012 at 4:35 pm

<3 Spaghetti Squash. I've always roasted it before but last night I steamed it whole in the microwave (fork holes for steam vents)–very easy and yummy. Roasting is probably still better but I didn't have to cut it in half and it was ready in about 15 minutes from start to finish :)

Life's a Bowl September 28, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Yummyyy! I tried the avocado + Greek yogurt “guacamole” from Trader Joe’s and loveee it, super creamy [bet it would be great as a pasta sauce] :)

We watched the season premiere of Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy this week- both of which are looking like good seasons!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com September 28, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I simply cannot get enough squash!!!

KarenW September 28, 2012 at 5:29 pm

This was so good! I just made it tonight. I’ve never made squash before but your pictures made it much easier. I used a little Cajun seasoning on mine. Big hit with everyone; especially my dad which is very surprising because usally if it isn’t meaty or salthered in salt and/or butter he doesn’t like it. So I will be making this a lot now; thanks for the recipie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hey Karen, that is great to hear! Thanks for letting me know.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy September 28, 2012 at 6:16 pm

what a helpful post!! i LOVE spaghetti squash! yum!

Meredith @ DareYouTo September 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm

mmm I love spaghetti squash. Definitely want to try this sauce!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Yippeee I just bought one of these yesterday!! I can’t wait to roast it tomorrow. Must say, I LOVE your pink scoop! I don’t eat a whole lot of ice cream but would totally buy it for scooping out squash guts lol! :) Have a great weekend Ange!

luv what you do September 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I LOVE spaghetti squash…usually with veggies, olive oil, and seasoning. I am super excited about a lot of the shows coming back. I must admit that I still watch Grey’s and I have been digging Major Crimes too.

Monica September 29, 2012 at 12:18 am

I love squash! I have summer squash or zucchini nearly every night!now that its turning colder will do more winte squash nd spaghetti is one of my faves with marinera, mushrooms, spinach and peppers.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 29, 2012 at 6:39 am

Why have I never thought of slicing the stem part off and then cutting it lengthwise standing up like that? That looks a million times easier than my method of trying to saw through it on its side! Thank you for that tip!

I like using spaghetti squash in this amazing casserole recipe from my aunt with tomatoes, onion, carrots, red pepper, cheese, etc!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012 at 8:16 am

It took me a while to figure that out too! Its so much easier though :)

Cher @ Weddicted September 29, 2012 at 7:50 am

I make my husband pasta (penne because he despises spaghetti noodles, haha) and I make myself spaghetti squash. I cook up a huge pot of tomato sauce with veggies and usually add tofu or chickpeas to mine, and chicken to his. Easy and healthy!

SmartSalus September 29, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, this really looks healthy and delicious!!! We have to try it here in Europe.
Thank you for the recipe!!

SmartSalus

Diana Milanovic September 29, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I just made this recipe with my boyfriend and we looooved it! It was his first time having spaghetti squash, but it won’t be his last. ;)

Can’t wait for your cookbook to come out!

Suz @ avocadoandbasil September 30, 2012 at 5:12 am

I love your creamy avocado sauce, we have it nearly every week, it looks amazing with the spaghetti squash, will be trying it very soon!

Sonal September 30, 2012 at 6:15 am

Yeyyyy this is the healthiest spaghetti i’ve ever seen :) Cannot wait to try!

GetSkinnyGoVegan September 30, 2012 at 7:19 am

Adore….Adore…Adore the squash. Grew up with that stuff in the garden, and wish that I had NEVER had flour pasta. That stuff is SO much better!

Kim D September 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

i really loved the Mindy Project too. my other fall tv fave is Scandal. the chemistry between the President and the main character, Olivia Pope, is off the charts.

Mike C September 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm

We tried the squash last night and it looked just like the picture and tasted better than I had thought it would. Looked it up on CalorieKing and was surprised to read 19 calories for half a cup! So my 2 cups was still an amazing calorie bargain. Thanks for the great tip!

Nicole September 30, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I would have never thought of making an avocado sauce. But, why not? Sounds perfectly delicious.

Moni @ {Meals Meals} October 1, 2012 at 10:00 am

Wow. That avocado sauce sounds amazing. I just did a video on how to prep spaghetti squash–so funny! great minds think alike. ;) fall shows are overwhelming me, there are so many good ones. :-)

Amanda D October 1, 2012 at 10:10 am

It’s a little early for lunch here but I show no shame. This dish is awesome. I only tweaked it a little. I halved the recipe and only added a leaf or two of basil and it’s just enough. I also added in some chopped avocado and a dash of hot pepper flakes, because well… why not?
Thank you! Now off to make some Frosty No-Bake Glo Cakes for this chilly Michigan morning. [Still no shame]

Michelle {LiveLoudly} October 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love speghetti squash! I usually steam it and then throw some parm cheese on top with a dash of salt n pepper. It’s a great side for along Salmon. My boyfriend can’t stand the texture of it. Strange?! I get the tomato texture thing but not the speghetti squash! He’s missing out.
-Michelle {LiveLoudly}

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen October 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I tried spaghetti squash “spaghetti” for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was floored by how amazing it was! It was absolutely delicious and now I would soooo much rather have that than regular spaghetti any day!

Meredith October 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Hey Angela! This looks delish. I’m planning on making it this weekend for Thanksgiving (I know, not a traditional choice but it will be delicious anyways :) ). Do you think it’s substantial enough on its own, or should I pair it with beans or something? Any pairing suggestions?

Marilyn October 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Well, shoot. I just roasted a spaghetti squash last weekend and threw out the seeds. Bummer. Your roasted seeds look tasty.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2012 at 7:34 am

heh yea I used to always throw them out too. Get em next time! ;)

Barbara October 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I too am a spaghetti squash novice but going gluten free for a thyroid problem is making me stretch my food boundaries. I got one at the Farmer’s market and when I got around to trying it a few weeks later, I cut it open and found the seeds were sprouted. I went ahead and cooked it but it was very bitter. Anyone else had that experience? I’m not giving up–got another one and will give it a try with your method and avacodo sauce–yum! I know I will probably love it once I figure out how to buy a good one! No time for TV but always make time for your blog!

[email protected] October 2, 2012 at 1:21 am

I have never tried forking for spaghetti strands. Whats a geat idea :D

Joy October 2, 2012 at 9:09 am

hm…had some spaghetti squash recently at a restraunt…it was bland, even tasteless…and put me off something fierce. I guess I could try it at home here with your encouraging recipes and ideas…worth a shot! Thanks for the encouragement!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2012 at 9:57 am

I think the key is to season it well or it does risk being bland. I LOVE Herbamare on this (and all veggies)

A. October 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Love the avocado sauce idea!

One trick I’ve used for preparing spaghetti squash is to use my (electric) pressure cooker: 1-2 cups of water in the bottom of it, squash placed whole on a rack inside the cooker, and then 8-10 minutes on High (depending upon squash size). Let the pressure diminish naturally, and you’re set!

Drastically reduces the cooking time & cutting hassle. Nothing worse than trying to hack into a raw squash w/ a dull* knife. (*That’s another issue entirely. :)

Elaine October 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I would like to subscribe to you blog.
Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hi Elaine, You can find subscription in the top right hand side of the blog (see all the buttons?) you can subscribe by email or RSS. Hope this helps!!

Nadine October 4, 2012 at 5:11 am

Greetings from an American currently residing in Austria! The other day I stumbled across a spaghetti squash here at the grocery store – had never seen them being sold in this part of the world before! I was very excited, bought it, and am now scouring the internet for recipes on what exactly to do with it. Have never had one before – much less made anything with it – so I’m excited to try something new. :-) I very much appreciated the step-by-step instructions on how to roast it, including photos!! I think I’ve got it now…. I may do the avocado sauce or just some pesto – haven’t decided yet. But thank you for your blog post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2012 at 6:29 am

Hey Nadine, so glad the photos are helpful for you! Let me know how you like it.

Cait October 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Its like you are in my brain! I am sitting staring at a large, intimidating spaghetti squash on my counter. This being my fav blog, I checked here first, and viola! Spaghetti squash 101. Thank You!! ( I actually just bought the ingredients for the avocado cream sauce earlier this week…I know what I am making for dinner Saturday!)

Betty October 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I didn’t realize that cooking spaghetti squash was so easy…I whipped up some marina sauce with fresh veggies as the topping. Delicious!

Inés October 6, 2012 at 2:45 am

I’m wondering how you two did manage a 5 pound squash xD We made spaghetti squash with tomato sauce yesterday – it weighed 2.9 pounds and we had a hard time finishing it.
It was the first time I made spaghetti squash – your pictures looked so delicious that I’ve being going on about this for weeks. I was surprised at how well the strands came off! I imagine that this must be the ideal thing to fascinate kids with. At least I would have loved transforming the squash into spaghetti as a kid ;-)
With some sauce this was perfect! I think the squash itself didn’t have that much flavor, but as a sauce base I guess it is not meant to have a strong own flavor. For me, it is quite different from other squash or pumpkin. I think it tastes more like a zucchini.

But as I ate so much it must have been good ;-)

Thanks for the recipe! without the pictures I would never have known what to do with a spaghetti squash. It’s a shame they don’t hand out recipes/step-by-step-directions in the shops so that people see that it is not that hard to cook something from fresh components!

Taylor October 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm

This is my new favorite dish! I love the avocado sauce :D

Tracey @cookingwithloveblog October 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I am pinning this now! I just bought a huge spaghetti squash today, and really had no set plans for it. Now I do! So glad you posted this, looks really good!! :)

lori October 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm

i do love spaghetti squash! some time ago i introduced my dad, 88, to it with no complaints! i freeze leftover squash in individual portions for later use.
i guinea pigged the avocado sauce tonight (with quinoa elbows i had on hand instead) for dinner with dad. his comment was to serve it as a cold salad…he is so smart!! we both pronounced the recipe a keeper!! i sliced a lovely red bell pepper along the side for a kick of color and a tenderloin of grilled chicken for him! btw…i do not own a food processor so used my small electric handi-chopper due to the small amount of ingredients. it worked like a charm!! this recipe is being passed to my neighbors!! thank you!
dessert was (avocado)key lime pudding from purely twins. added extra stevia..still very tart..but oh, so good for you! would be good served in individual tarts!
this is the start of avocado season in florida so many more recipes to try!!!

Ali October 10, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Love this blog, but this is my first recipe-making adventure! I was in a rush so the avocado sauce was made with Wholly Guacamole with lemon and grape seed oil…I have a long time obsession with Spaghetti Squash, so this was right up my alley. Fresh, filling, and extremely satisfying, I can’t wait to test drive more recipes :) Thanks, Angela!

Jennifer October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oh my gosh, I just made the Creamy Avocado Sauce on Spaghetti Squash–so so good! It is my new favorite. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Julia E. October 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I just made this tonight and I have to tell you it’s one of the best things I’ve made!!!
I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis and coming to your blog has been SUCH a cooking inspiration to me. I decided about a month ago to completely over-hall my diet and it includes gluten-free, dairy free, and sugar free! Today was not my best day but I ate this dish and my stomach actually tolerated it completely!
Finding your website has been a pure blessing! Thank you SO much for sharing all of these good recipes and food ideas! Amazing!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2012 at 8:22 am

Thank you Julia, that means so much to me!

Cassandra October 23, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I am determined to like spaghetti squash, or at least try it again soon. I have terrible childhood associations with it, mostly because it was set in front of me with the stretched truth of “it tastes just like pasta.” I love fall produce so much, and I really want to add this to my squash list!

Shana Curtis October 25, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I just love your site – excited about the book — I cook japanese eggplant,garlic,onions,add marinara in olive oil — yummy on top of spaghetti squash —

Katie October 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I’m late to the game and haven’t read all 100 comments, so I don’t know if anyone mentioned this yet, but if you cut the squash in half horizontally rather than vertically, the spaghetti pieces are much longer. I know some people complain about spaghetti squash pieces being too short to twirl and whatnot, so that’s an easy fix! It also makes a cute serving dish in itself.

Sue December 5, 2012 at 11:21 am

I made this recipe last night. I was amazing!! So light and fresh with tons of flavor. I feel so good after I eat it! I’ve just found your website and really enjoying exploring it and trying your recipes!!! Thank you :)

Linda T January 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

My husband and I like to cook this on the grill. We just put a little olive oil or butter on it and sprinkle with garlic powder cook on indirect heat for about 40 minutes. It is a great sidedish with chicken or steak even fish!!!

Seren January 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I have yet to try this sauce with the squash, although it looks delicious and will be in the very near future, i have had it a few times with flax and whole wheat spaghetti and it’s amazing!

A tip on making the pasta ahead of time (for work lunch perhaps), make the sauce and pasta separately, store both in sealed containers and refrigerate until ready for use. Warm your pasta, add your sauce and you have a delicious home made meal ready to go. :)

ann January 22, 2013 at 11:44 am

Another winner from Angela! My 15-yr-old loved this. An easy, healthy, vegan meal.

Jenny January 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

This was the first time EVER my spaghetti squash turned out PERFECT!!! The avocado sauce was super yum too! Thanks :)

Ann February 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm

ok, I never comment on blogs, but I just have to be effusive and wax poetic about your recipes! I have been vegetarian for a few months now and it’s going well, but trying to slowly transition towards less and less animal based recipes. I discovered your blog a few weeks back and I am in love! I just made this spaghetti squash with avocado sauce and I am devouring it with a big smile. Thank you for changing the way I see food!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Thank you Ann, that is the best compliment I could ever receive. I hope you enjoy many more recipes to come!

george tilton February 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

although I like your site and have used several of your recipes, I no longer youe them because of the difficulty in priting them out. Case in point was recipe for spaghetti squash. I tried to print it out 3 times but was only able to print page 1; the rest was advertisements. To use the recipe I have to go to the computer which is very inconvient. Oh, yes I clicked the button that asked if I wanted to print the recipe–still unable to print out. Sorry, but just not worth it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2013 at 9:06 am

Hi George, Did you say there are ads printing out on the recipes? That is strange. I just did a couple tests and that didn’t happen to me. Recipage just added an ad to their pages but it shouldn’t be printing out. If you continue to experience problems, please contact the recipage team at recipage[at]gmail[dot]com Thanks!

Emily February 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Is cooked spaghetti squash supposed to be crunchy when ready. I have cooked mine for about 50min scooped out all the stringy goodness. But it is still crunchy.

Tina February 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm

This.is.amazing. My husband and I are doing a cleanse and this recip has been my saviour! Seriously, the avocado sauce is fantastic and I was absolutely in awe of the squash lol. Thanks for sharing such a yummy meal:)

Skylar March 26, 2013 at 12:32 am

Holy S***. I made this sauce and topped it over steamed broccoli, whole wheat pasta and pan seared red snapper….It was so easy, so quick, and probably one of the best things I have ever had. Ever. ever. thank you thank you thank you!! Can’t believe i haven’t thought of this myself. Loved it!!! Sharing with all my friends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I’m so happy to hear that Skylar!

Kelly Sepich April 3, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hello,

My name is Kelly Sepich and I am the online marketing coordinator for Bauman College. We have written a delicious spaghetti for our Spring catalog and are in need of a beautiful photo. I stumbled across your blog and am in love with your spaghetti squash pictures. When you have a moment, would you let me know if we could use your pictures with of course credit to your and a link back to your website?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kelly

Emily April 4, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I confess: I don’t eat very healthily. At all. I’m officially working on it. Homemade kale chips instead of potato chips, more water, less coffee. But I was still very skeptical when it came to the avocado pasta sauce. I was wrong. So, so wrong. Ah-mazing! Debating-licking-the-blade-of-the-food-processor-so-it-doesn’t-go-to-waste amazing! I spiralized some zucchini for my pasta because I’m big on twirling and topped it with a dollop of this garlic-y, decadent goodness. Holy cow! I never thought I could be vegan, but by degrees you’re changing my mind.

Danielle May 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Wait…is the vegetable I.e. the squash itself actuslly called spaghetti squash or is it just a regular squash plant thing?

Lisa October 16, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The link above won’t seem to allow me to open the page for the creamy avocado sauce that you played around with for this recipe. Couple you email?
Thanks a million for all your delicious recipes!
Lisa

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2013 at 6:18 am

Hi Lisa, It should be working now, sorry about that! Recipage had some issues last week.

Anna Lind November 16, 2013 at 5:56 am

Hi Angela,
It might be a stupid question, but is the spaghetti squash a certain kind of squash, or can it be in squash prepared as above? It might be called something else here in Denmark, so I’m not sure what to buy! :)

Shonna January 13, 2014 at 1:38 pm

If I wanted a thicker noodle, can I noodle the squash first through a spiralizer, then roast the noodles?

Anna April 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Ahhh I can’t wait to try it for the first time! I have 3 vines growing in my garden. The first spaghetti squash I will eat will be grown by me :) From what I’ve read I will have around 15 of them from 3 plants!

Allison Dale July 31, 2014 at 12:53 pm

LOVED this recipe. only thing i changed was adding a tablespoon of agave nectar and a tablespoon of vegenaise to the avocado sauce (mostly because i added too much garlic, but the vegenaise and agave really popped the flavor) and topped it with roasted sesame seeds. Ill be cooking a lot more squash now!

evette legge January 3, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I heard you can boil it for a hour tried it not a fan too course I have baked other butternut and other ones I will have to try baking one

AR Fan April 23, 2015 at 3:48 pm

This creamy avocado sauce is a top notch recipe! You can’t imagine how delicious it is unless you make it. We roasted the spaghetti squash per directions and topped it with Muir Glen portabello mushroom sauce one night. We enjoyed every bite and, the interesting thing is, neither of us have ever liked spaghetti squash; so roasting this way changed all of that! Tonight dinner is: spaghetti squash with the creamy avocado sauce above. I know my husband is going to thank me and “you”, Angela for a special and tasty dinner! :)

Terri March 18, 2016 at 7:12 am

I made this last night and it was easy and delis – a big hit!! Thank you for another great recipe.

Mike December 19, 2016 at 4:08 am

Delicious, really a big big hit :)

Thanks

Angela Liddon December 19, 2016 at 10:15 am

So glad to hear it, Mike! :)