Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6663   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

Somehow, I managed to live the first 25-26 years of my life before trying spaghetti squash. Actually, I could add many, many foods to that list. When I first came across spaghetti squash, I didn’t quite know what to think of it. Stringy strands of squash? How the heck do I get that to work? It seems weird. Naturally, this only made me want to try it more!

spaghetti squash 6689   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

Well, it is a bit weird when you think about it, but it’s also now one of my favourite foods. I could add many things to that list too.

Similar to my beloved zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash makes a light, fiberiffic base for pasta sauce, pesto, chili, stews, and even my creamy avocado pasta sauce. It’s also a great way to up your veggie intake without even realizing it. I can easily pound back an entire squash all on my own. [Did I just say “pound back” and “squash” in the same sentence? Speaking of weird…]

This big squash (photographed) hails from Aylmer, Ontario – a hefty 5 pounder!

If you’ve ever been intimidated by preparing and roasting a spaghetti squash like I have, I hope these step-by-step photos are helpful.

Note: If you really, really don’t want to slice the squash in half, rest assured you can roast squash whole (just pierce it with a few knife cuts first). I prefer to slice it in half for a couple reasons: 1) I season the squash before roasting and the flavour infuses as it roasts, and 2) It cooks in a fraction of the time – often ~20 minutes faster compared to roasting it whole. However, roasting it whole is a nice option if you have a really big squash and a dull knife!

How I Roast Spaghetti Squash:

1. Preheat the oven to 375F. If your squash is quite large, start by slicing off the stem. This makes it easier to slice through and also gives you a flat base to work with. You can do this on a cutting board or an old tea towel.

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6664   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6665   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6666   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

2. Place squash flat end down. With a [recently sharpened] chef’s knife, slice down the middle lengthwise. I like to use a “rocking” motion to cut through. This big squash was challenging, but a slow and steady pace eventually won the race…or something like that.

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6667   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6670   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6672   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

3. With a metal ice cream scoop (my Zyliss scoop works amazing for this!) or spoon, scoop out the seeds & guts. Set aside seeds if you plan to roast them later. And you will, right?

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6677   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6678   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

4. Brush halves with a tiny amount of olive oil (I used maybe 1/2 tsp oil on each). Sprinkle with Herbamare (or sea salt) and freshly ground black pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cut side down. The salt & pepper you just sprinkled on will stick to the oil.

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6681   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6682   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6683   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

5. Roast at 375F for around 35-45 minutes, or until you can easily scrape strands away from the squash. The outer yellow skin will also deepen in colour. Baking time will vary depending on the size. My 5-pound squash took 40 minutes.

6. Remove from oven and flip each half. At this point, feel free to use the fork to see if the strands easily come off. If it’s ready, cool for about 5-10 minutes and then grab the fork and scrape the squash flesh over and over. You’ll be left with a bunch of spaghetti-like strands! Season again and serve immediately – in the shell if you wish.

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6685   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash how to roast a spaghetti squash 6687   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

My 5 pound squash made just over 4 cups of “spaghetti” strands – the perfect amount for Eric and I to share.

how to roast a spaghetti squash 6695   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

Something as simple as salt, pepper, marinara, dried basil, and garlic powder is a fantastic combo. I could eat this every. single. day.

I also love to serve homemade chili or stew on top.

Or in this case, creamy avocado sauce.

avocado pasta with squash 31281   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

For this recipe, I played around with my creamy avocado pasta sauce. It was so good I had to share the results. To email, print, or text this recipe, click here.

avocado pasta 3143   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

We enjoyed the roasted squash seeds while watching some great fall tv! Anyone catch The Mindy Project this week? I’m pretty much obsessed with it after 1 show. Also, glad to have Up All Night back on – another show I never miss.

To my surprise, the seeds taste just like sugar pumpkin seeds. yum!

spaghetti squash seeds 6717   Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta + How To Roast Spaghetti Squash

What’s your favourite way to enjoy spaghetti squash?

What are your must-see fall tv shows?

Lisa C September 28, 2012

We love spaghetti squash topped with roasted veggies (mushrooms, red peppers, onions, zucchini, etc.) and a pesto like the recipe you have for pesto made with beans – over the top in flavor. But who knew you could roast the seeds? They have all the same health benefits, no doubt, as pumpkin seeds. Three cheers for a multi-tasking food!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Oh veggies and pesto sounds to die for! I’ll have to try that soon.

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 28, 2012

Don’t take this weird but…I LOVE YOU!!! I bought a spaghetti squash a few days ago and thought “now what??” It’s been taunting me ever since. Come here little squash…prepare to meet your tasty doom!

Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

hah right back at ya!
I can relate to having squash sit on the counter for a long time…hope you enjoy it!

NA January 12, 2014

Haha, I was going to say the same thing… I love you and your blog! A lifesaver for someone looking for low carb vegan recipes! :)

Arminda September 28, 2012

I can’t wait to try this! I love different ways to get my avocado fix!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 28, 2012

This is my favorite squash! Did you know you can microwave it too? Super fast and easy.

You guys got a big one! Ours are still teeny this early in the season.

LauraD September 28, 2012

I love spaghetti squash even if it is kind of strange :) I will sometimes mix half pasta and half spaghetti squash together for a few more carbs. I never thought of using avocado sauce on it though. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jennifer September 28, 2012

I am also obsessed with The MIndy Project after one show! So much obsessed that I watched it twice this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Isn’t it great? Threw me by surprise! I heard great reviews about it, so Im glad I watched.

Amy September 28, 2012

I LOVE spaghetti squash. I can eat a whole one myself and have to pack away some leftovers as soon as it comes out of the oven! I love to eat it with chicken parm and roasted tomatoes. Strangely, I also top it with taco meat instead of using a tortilla. And roasting the seeds is a must!

Michelle September 28, 2012

I love how creative you are with all your recipes. Avocado is one of my favorite “must have” food, and I’m glad I have another recipe to try with this. I came across your avocado pasta a few months ago and absolutely loved it!! I would of never thought of squash as an alternative to the noodles. Brilliant!

Lisa (Foreign Pavement) September 28, 2012

The idea of using the avocado sauce is wonderful. Usually I go with the marinara + seasonings + a cheese of some sort. I need to get better about using the seeds for something as I typically just toss them.

Ah, Fall shows, don’t remind me! :) We cancelled our cable!

amy September 28, 2012

A trick i’ve learned is to stick the whole squash in the oven while it’s preheating to soften it a bit before cutting in half…it works for me! I just made your creamy avocado sauce on Wednesday night and my son ate two big bowls of it over spaghetti! I posted a pic on instagram with an ohsheglows hashtag :)

amy September 28, 2012

I forgot to mention that I added about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast to the avocado sauce – gave it a nice little cheesy tang.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Another great tip. :)

Sarah @ Yogi in Action September 28, 2012

This post is perfect timing! I have a spaghetti squash sitting in my fridge right now and I wasn’t sure what I should do with it! Now I’m looking forward to enjoying it.

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 28, 2012

I love your creamy avocado pasta sauce on everything from salads to eggs!! Will definitely have to give it a try on spaghetti squash next time!!

Dee Wyatt September 28, 2012

I am definitely putting spaghetti squash on my shopping list. I’ve had it before but haven’t been *that* impressed. I’ll have to try it with your avocado sauce though!
About fall TV shows, this is my first year actually watching them! I’ve caught up via hulu and now I’m addicted to Parenthood (my fav) and Modern Family. I’m way too excited for Downton Abby to start again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

I’ve heard good things about all of those shows, but have yet to watch any.
Goodluck with your next squash attempt!

Aubrey September 28, 2012

Mine favorite way Is the one I have up in my blog!!

Tonya September 28, 2012

How awesome is the Mindy project?? Gonna miss Mindy Kaling’s “Kelly Kapoor” character on the Office but they’re wrapping up their series anyway. Glad she has her own show!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Agree – she is so funny on the office. Now that I see her on her own show though, she really shines.
The office is holding its own even without Steve. We still watch it every week. This week’s episode was quite funny!

jenna September 28, 2012

spaghetti squash is one of my favorites. this looks so good! love!

Janae @ Bring-Joy September 28, 2012

I don’t have a ton of time to watch TV but I did really love the first episode of Go On. Also, I’m just barely getting into Parenthood & love it (but am watching the 1st season on Netflix to catch up!).

Love spaghetti squash–it’s a great alternative for us gluten intolerant folks.

Lauren @ La Dolce Pita September 28, 2012

I have been meaning to try that creamy avocado sauce FOR-E-VER. must try this weekend.

Must see fall shows? I am loving the return of Up All Night. And Modern Family, of course. And anxiously awaiting American Horror Story next month!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

I have never seen Modern family! Thinking I need to finally get on that bandwagon. :)

Michelle {LiveLoudly} October 1, 2012

Modern Family: we kept missing it last year. It’s hilarious and we have made sure not to miss it again and again this year = tv set to record series.

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay September 28, 2012

Wow, thank you SO much for posting this how-to and step-by-step pics… I’ve always seen spaghetti squash in the grocery store but I always wondered what the heck to do with it. I’m totally buying a squash now :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 28, 2012

Fun idea! I neeeed to try this :)

Heidi kokborg September 28, 2012

Wow! I have never tried spaghetti squash, but oh my does it look good! And I am a huge sucker for avocado, so I definitely have to try this recipe :) Thank you, Ange :)

Iris Lee September 28, 2012

Thanks for the tutorial!! I always steam my spaghetti squash, but it’s really easy to make it too mushy that way. I’ll try roasting next time!

Kate September 28, 2012

I had never thought of cutting it before, my mom taught me to roast it before cutting it so it wasn’t as difficult to cut. This way too I always have well steamed seeds & just include them in my meal! So yummy! But, now that I know you can cut it first & bake the seeds for a snack…I may have to give this a go!!! Thanks for another great recipe!!! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 28, 2012

You have me craving spaghetti for breakfast now! What a gorgeous squash and thanks for the tutorial.

Love the pics…the black background and vibrant yellow squash. They just Pop!

Jen September 28, 2012

I love spaghetti squash and was planning to make some this weekend…but it never even occurred to me to roast the seeds! Do they taste similar to roasted pumpkin seeds? I assume I can roast them using the same method as in your pumpkin seed post from the other day?

Lauren September 28, 2012

I just had spaghetti squash the other night, and I made a delicious lemon caper sauce to go on top! I think I actually like it better than pasta, probably because I know it’s healthy, and, psychologically, that makes it taste better! :-)

Lauren September 28, 2012

It has been ages since I’ve made your creamy avocado sauce so now I’m thinking I need to change that. I’ve never been a huge fan of pasta so spaghetti squash is a perfect alternative for me. Thanks for the great recipe Angela!

Lauren @ The Homeostatic Mindset September 28, 2012

The Mindy Project is amazing! I loved it! I had to watch it after reading her book, that’s for sure :)

You’re killing me with these squash recipes- in the best way possible of course! :P My squash cravings are at an all time high, yet I have none! Must.rectify.asap.

Rachel @Almonds and Avocados September 28, 2012

I’ve still somehow never tried spaghetti squash and bought a big, beautiful one a couple days ago!! Your recipe came at the perfect time–I’ll be making this tonight! Thanks for posting!

Jenn September 28, 2012

I ADORE spaghetti squash! Never tried the avo/squash combo, however…will have to add this to my must-try for fall list!

Beks September 28, 2012

A couple weeks ago, I made spaghetti squash pad thai. Sooooooo yummy! And way more filling than when I made it with plain spaghetti or rice noodles.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

that is such a great idea!!

Addy @ Six-Kick Switch September 28, 2012

Oooh, sadly I can’t do spaghetti squash anymore (bad encounter with food poisoning) but I have tried your Avocado Sauce and it is KILLER! I added it to a pasta salad last weekend and people loved it!

Andrea September 28, 2012

This post has excellent timing because I made this very dish just last night, and it was my first time playing with spaghetti squash, too! Instead of creamy avocado sauce, though, I used chunks of avocado with a bit of parmesan, and an egg sunny-side up! I used lemon and pepper to season the spaghetti squash. This might be my new country food.

BTW, I’ve been reading your blog for six months and I love it! When I’m tired I tend to hop on Google Reader, and your entries always make me want to get up and take on the world again.

Andrea September 28, 2012

comfort* haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

Thank you Andrea, I’m so happy to hear that :) Good to see Im not the only one combining avocado and squash (which sounds weird but really works!)

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli September 28, 2012

the office is my all-time fav….I’ll have to check out the Mindy Project, I’m guessing I’ll like it as well :) annnd the Middle. annnd Modern Family. Fall is the time that I start working out at home with the TV on :)

Allie September 28, 2012

I went 25 years without spaghetti squash too–had it for the first time this week, and I’m pretty sure I’m in love. Gotta try it with some avocado sauce now!

Willow September 28, 2012

Ooh, I adore spaghetti squash (and its seeds)! I actually like to make my regular spaghetti, only with squash instead of noodles, and then top it with the roasted seeds for a bit of salty crunch – yum! :D

gretchen September 28, 2012

Oh my god, this is *exactly* what I ate last night [with the avocado sauce!] And it was outstanding.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

great minds think alike ;)

Lindsay September 28, 2012

Wow, I just happen to have a spaghetti squash hanging around my kitchen, and I’ve been trying to think of a way to Jazz it up. Thanks for the inspiration! Unfortunately, the weather in sunny California hasn’t gotten the memo that it’s FALL and time to be crisp and cool so I can make comfort-food recipes…maybe I will just crank up the air-conditioning for this one…

Leah September 28, 2012

<3 Spaghetti Squash. I've always roasted it before but last night I steamed it whole in the microwave (fork holes for steam vents)–very easy and yummy. Roasting is probably still better but I didn't have to cut it in half and it was ready in about 15 minutes from start to finish :)

Life's a Bowl September 28, 2012

Yummyyy! I tried the avocado + Greek yogurt “guacamole” from Trader Joe’s and loveee it, super creamy [bet it would be great as a pasta sauce] :)

We watched the season premiere of Modern Family and Grey’s Anatomy this week- both of which are looking like good seasons!

Page 1 of 3123»