Slow Cooker Naked Apple Butter

apple butter-6597

Last year, I dusted off my slow cooker and made my first batch of apple butter. While it tasted incredible, I realized (after the fact) that I cooked the apples way too long. I was left with a mere cup of apple butter from 5 pounds of apples. That sure was some thick, concentrated apple butter, let me tell you!

IMG_2143

This time around, I did things differently. Mainly, I cooked it for a fraction of the time. Not only was it much, much faster, but I was left with five cups of creamy apple butter.

apple butter-6610

It’s also naked. Minimal spices, no sweetener. The blonde roast of apple butters! Most apple butter recipes call for 2-4 cups of sugar, but I wanted to make a batch without any sugar. Yes, sugar does help increase the shelf-life and also thicken, but my version seemed to turn out fine.

For this method, you only need a few ingredients:

1) Sweet + tart apples. For the best-tasting apple butter, use an equal mixture of sweet and tart apples. I used Granny Smith, Sunrise, Fuji, Honeycrisp, and Mac apples. Use any varieties you wish, the more the better. Each time you make apple butter, it will taste a bit different depending on the apples you use. Of course, local, in-season apples will make your apple butter even better (say that 5 times fast). I used 5.5 pounds of apples, but feel free to make a smaller batch if preferred (cooking time may vary).

apple butter-6578

2) Cinnamon. I used about 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon for this batch, but if you’d like a more flavourful and darker apple butter, add as much cinnamon as you prefer. You can also throw in cinnamon sticks as it cooks or try adding ground cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Some people like to add a spice packet to the mixture. Just grab cheesecloth and add in whole spices and tie it with cooking string. It is very easy to remove this way.

3) Lemon Juice. I added a tiny bit of fresh lemon juice, to taste. This will help extend shelf-life a bit.

Notes:

You can also add apple juice or sweet apple cider, but I didn’t bother for this batch.

I don’t find it needs any added sweetener when I use around 50% sweet apples, but feel free to add sweetener if your taste buds prefer. I like it a bit tart, with a light sweetness. When we cook down the apples, it concentrates the sweetness, so it will taste better as it cooks. A little bit of maple syrup would go a long way here.

apple butter-6591

How I made it:

As always, I’m giving you chatty detailed steps, photos, and tips, but the actual process is very easy. I like to talk, what can I say.

1. Slice apples. There is no need to peel the apples. In fact, your apple butter is much healthier with the peel left on. Don’t worry, we’ll blend it all up and you won’t even know the peel is in there. Tip: If you have an apple slicer, now is the time to use it. I love this OXO divider. Or if you have a food mill, I hear you can cook the apples whole and then run it through the mill. You make the call.

IMG_2131

2. Set slow cooker on HIGH for 4 hours with the lid on. During those 4 hours, give it several stirs as the apples tend to stick to the bottom. You can add some apple juice or cider to prevent sticking. If you’d rather cook it longer on a low heat, you can do that too.

3. Mash apples and turn off heat. After 4 hours, most of the apples are soft enough to mash up with a wooden spoon or potato masher. After mashing, we now have applesauce (with the peel of course).

IMG_21331

4. Cool slightly and scoop into high-speed blender. This step results in super smooth apple butter. Plus, we want to pulverize the apple peel. With a big ladle, scoop the apple mixture into a blender. If you have a small blender you may have to do this in a few batches. It all just fit in my Vitamix. Make sure lid is secured tightly or explosions may occur…

IMG_2134

5. Blend the mixture. Start on a low setting and go faster until you reach max speed. You may need to let some steam escape through the top hole if there is one. Puree mixture until super smooth and buttery. If it’s still chunky, keep blending.

It will look similar to this after blending – it’s like the silkiest apple “sauce” you’ve ever tasted, but not quite thick enough for a butter yet!

IMG_2137

6. Pour the apple butter back into the slow cooker. Turn heat on high and cook down, uncovered, for another 45-75 minutes until it’s as thick as you desire. After 45 mins, I was left with 5 cups and the consistency was very similar to my pumpkin butter. Keep in mind it will thicken very slightly once chilled overnight.

7. When ready, add cinnamon to taste. I didn’t add much so the colour of my apple butter stayed very light. You can also stir in a tiny bit of lemon juice now too, but this is optional.

apple butter-6580

Swirl!

apple butter-6581

apple butter-6599 apple butter-6583

To email, print, or text these directions, click here.

Of course, the best thing about making apple butter (next to eating it) is experimenting with different flavours. Try adding cinnamon sticks, freshly ground nutmeg and ginger, or even other fruit & veggies like pumpkin or pears. Next on my list might be a pumpkin apple butter hybrid…or apple pear…or butternut squash & pumpkin…hmm.

Homemade butters also make fun host/hostess gifts. Make it a couple days in advance and spoon into Mason jars with a cute ribbon and tag. I like to either write out the recipe or simply write the URL to the recipe if there isn’t enough room. I brought a jar over to my friend’s place last night and it was quite a hit!

I’m not certain how long this will last in the fridge since this is my first batch made this way. I will be sure to update this post with how long it lasts for me. If it’s anything like my pumpkin butter, it will hopefully last for at least 3 weeks in an air-tight jar in the fridge. As for canning or freezing, I haven’t tried it myself. For you canning pros out there – do you think this can be canned? As always, I appreciate your thoughts below!

For many ways to enjoy apple butter, see my pumpkin butter list.

What kind of fruit/veggie butter should I try next?

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 26, 2012

The “blonde roast” – I love it! I do a really simple apple sauce like this – I don’t even cook it. just toss it in the blender

You should try a “blonde roast” fig butter next!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

fig butter has been on my list for a while….great idea.

3 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 26, 2012

Hello yumminess! I’ve been loving apple baked goods over the past couple of weeks now that apple season is in full swing. I’m definitely thinking an apple pear butter would be awesome – I love spiced up pears almost as much as apples this time of year!!

4 Ally September 26, 2012

Out of curiosity is the acidity level such that water bath canning is possible? I noticed you referenced the ability to can it but I didn’t see anything specific about how long, etc. So I’m not sure if I would have to pressure can it or if water bath is safe. Thanks! This looks LOVELY and so much easier than the ridiculousness of the way I made apple butter last year :)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Hey Ally, A couple others have mentioned they think canning would be fine since apples are naturally acidic. I would check out their comments below. Im not sure what method you should use. I personally havent tried canning yet myself! Let me know how it goes if you try it. :)

6 allison September 27, 2012

i’ve canned apple butter before. I think 5 minutes. Check the bernardin site :-)

7 Tezinelko December 18, 2012

Once the apples are cooked down the acid is concentrated just like the sweetness so, yes, it cans beautifully. If you ladle it hot from your cooking pot into sterile jars and immediately into the water bath, it will only take about half an hour, max, to get the butter hot enough to seal those lids tight!

8 Bon September 17, 2014

This can be safely water bathed–10 to 15 minutes.

9 Sabina September 26, 2012

Yes, you con use proper canning techniques for apple butter. i have done that successfully in the past with slow cooker apple butter. :-)

10 Sarah September 26, 2012

Looks delish! You can definitely can this — apples are acidic enough that a simple water bath canning process should work. No sugar is necessary!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

thanks for the tip!

12 Crystal September 26, 2012

I completely agree–you can definitely can your apple butter. I have several jars of last year’s apple butter still sitting in my pantry, and (as of the last one I opened) they are still delicious.

13 Danielle @ TwoLoveBirds September 26, 2012

I make applesauce like this all the time! Next time I make a batch I’ll take it a step further and make some apple butter as well! As always, great recipe and awesome pictures! :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Thank you Danielle, so glad you enjoyed it.

15 Victoria Watson April 26, 2014

I made this today and I think it is wonderful. But my DH doesn’t like apple butter or applesauce so I added some cinnamon red hots candy and it made it even better. He decided that he liked it then. So I canned the jars in a water bath.

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 26, 2012

You are the butters queen! The pumpkin butter had me so excited but now this one has me just as happy. It’s so smooth and rich looking! I want to dive into that jar!

17 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 26, 2012

Wow this looks amazing, I love that it has no sugar, so brilliant. It’s solo creamy looking. Beautiful photos.

18 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 26, 2012

Amazing! There was no way I’d find apple butter (in my price range anyways) down here in Florida so I will be making this Saturday night while the boy is out with his friends. Can’t wait!

19 Nicole September 26, 2012

This sounds (and looks) delicious! Can I still make it if I don’t have a slow cooker?

20 Keenzi September 26, 2012

Absolutely–you’d just need to be watchful the entire time and stir often. Medium heat until applesauce, then med/low until the right consistency. A heavy duty pot is best, for holding and distributing heat evenly, but any pot will do. It won’t take as long on the stove, but again, you have to be very vigil, unlike a slow cooker. Good luck!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Great tips, thanks Keenzi!
I’ve also heard you can cook down the apples in the oven.

22 Nicole October 8, 2012

Thanks to both Keenzi and Angela! I can’t wait to try this out!

23 Willow September 26, 2012

Mm, I haven’t had apple butter in ages… looks like it might be time to break out the slow cooker!

24 Addy @ Six-Kick Switch September 26, 2012

I cannot wait to try this – and your pumpkin butter! This looks so great!

25 Senator September 26, 2012

Oh sweet holy baby pears are you giving me ideas!!! You are awesome, so beautiful!

26 Kate September 26, 2012

This looks so delicious. I’ve never heard of apple butter before. I might have to go on an apple picking day and make this with the produce. Beautiful photos too as always. Kate

27 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 26, 2012

I was trying to make apple sauce last night but ended up with apple butter when I chopped a bunch of apples and added homemade apple juice to the pot. Boiled for 45 minutes. Blended… and apple butter consistency all the way. So awesome!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Thats the best when you discover something fun like that.

29 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 26, 2012

I usually don’t have to worry about the shelf life of apple butter, because I can’t feed it to my kids fast enough. It’s one of those things that is gone in a few hours, or at least the first day.

Have you ever tried pear butter? I can see lots of possibilities with that one…

30 Samantha September 26, 2012

Do you think adding coconut oil to it would be good?

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

I would think the coconut oil would firm up in the fridge, so I probably wouldn’t try it. Of course, if it’s heated it would melt again.

32 Samantha September 26, 2012

I was thinking it may help to thicken it up, but then I suppose it might be harder to spread….

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Im sure it would be tasty regardless ;) I think it could harden kinda chunky, but if you dont mind that then go for it. It could always be heated again to melt it.

34 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 26, 2012

I think I’m going to make a jar of this and a jar of your pumpkin butter for the Mr’s b-day party next month. Biscuits are involved and this would be the perfect topper!

35 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 26, 2012

I love apple butter on top of biscuits! I wonder how pear butter would turn out. I’m not sure if the gritty texture would impact the consistency but I’d try it!

36 amanda October 4, 2012

I made pear butter a couple weeks ago in a slow cooker and it was yummy! Sugar and lemon juice and cinnamon to taste.

37 Ashley September 26, 2012

Angela –
This looks great. When do you add the fresh lemon juice?

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

I stir it in at the very end – will add this in the post. :)

39 Faith September 26, 2012

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this would freeze well? 5 cups is kind of a lot for one person :)

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Feel free to make less…you can use any amount of apples you want. I used 5.5 lbs but its not necessary to use that amount.
I hope someone comments about freezing it too…I’ve heard you can, but havent tried it.

41 Becky Przy September 26, 2012

Yep, you can freeze it. I don’t have the patience for my husband to teach me how to can things…so I go the quick route and just throw it in the freezer. Just be sure to let it cool before you put it in the freezer. I froze a lot of applesauce last year and I used the last jar in February and after 5 months it still tasted good!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Good to know, thanks!

43 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 26, 2012

This would be perfect for teacher gifts this Christmas! I wonder how it would turn out adding in some almond butter with the fruit. I can’t wait to give this a try and I bet your house smelled fabulous!

44 Running Hutch August 7, 2013

Did you try adding almond butter? I have some macadamia nut butter I was thinking about blending in.

45 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 26, 2012

This looks incredible! And its perfect timing because I went apple picking last week and have A TON… literally…of apples on hand right now! Perfect way to use some of them up before they go bad! But thats not likely because I am an apple fiend lol!

46 Cammy September 26, 2012

Hmmm? Butternut butter? Fun to say at least

47 char eats greens September 26, 2012

Looks so yummy Angela!! Now I want to go apple picking first (are there even any available to go to around us this year?), and then make this deliciousness. That and pumpkin butter. Then maybe I’ll turn into butter myself – which wouldn’t be so bad, would it?!

48 jo @ including cake September 26, 2012

What is the difference between apple sauce and apple butter? I’m not sure if it’s me being English (or just me being a bit thick!) but I tend to call any blended fruit a puree. Can someone help me out?? :-)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

Hey Jo, Apple butter is cooked down much longer than applesauce. Essentially, it’s a condensed form of applesauce, in a way, and is much more thick. Does that help?

50 jo @ includingcake.com September 26, 2012

Yes, thank you that makes sense now. The word ‘butter’ sounds so much more rich and decadent, which I guess it is really :-) I need to get onto making me some ‘butters’!

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Yes it does and it’s so fitting. If you compare it to aplesauce (which I did actually in a taste test) the apple butter was so much more rich and creamy. I meant to take a side by side photo. Oh well, next time!

52 Katie September 26, 2012

Can I use an immersion blender if I don’t have a regular blender? My pops has been offering to buy me a VitaMix for some time but I haven’t taken him up on it, so my only bladed appliances are an immersion blender and a large food processor. But I have been craving apple butter and this looks so easy and good!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

You probably could, but I would wait until it has cooled mostly. :)

54 Ros November 29, 2013

Those immersion blenders are designed for blending soup while it’s still hot. No need to wait for cooling.

55 Nikkie Garcia September 29, 2012

I’m in the process of making this right now and I just used my immersion blender to blend up the apples. I just made sure to mash them by hand really well first. Right now I have the lid off and it is thickening as we speak. I also added a small cinnamon stick while the apples were cooking and will add a little more ground cinnamon at the end. I will admit that I’ve already had a few taste tests and it is delicious!

56 adam September 26, 2012

looking forward to seeing some recipes using the butter soon I hope?!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

I hope so too!

58 Somer September 26, 2012

OH HECK YES! I’ve been wanting to make apple butter, but don’t have time to stand over the stove all day! WOOHOO!

59 Ileana September 26, 2012

Heh, blonde roast. I’m forwarding this to my best friend, who is obsessed with her new slow cooker.

60 Tanya @ playful and hungry September 26, 2012

Your apple butter looks delicious!
I bet pear would be great, too!

61 Jenna September 26, 2012

OH APRICOT BUTTER pleaseeeeeeee?
*faints*

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

oh yum, now that is a fruit I rarely use! Are they in season now? I dont even know.

63 Jenna September 26, 2012

Usually in season late Spring through Summer. :(

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2012

darn! Miss summer already. I’ll have to try it next year :)

65 Meg @ Sweet Twist September 26, 2012

Delicious!! Looks so wonderful. I will have to try this.

66 Carissa September 26, 2012

This is gorgeous! It’s so silky smooth. Just one more thing on my list of things I love about my Vitamix. :-) I’m excited to make this, because I dislike the high amount of added sugar usually in apple butter. Happy fall!

67 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 26, 2012

I need to make homemade apple butter — that looks so delicious, Angela. Thanks for sharing!

68 Jennifer September 26, 2012

I made apple butter yesterday in the slow cooker. I canned it in a water bath when I was finished. The key with canning is clean jars, hot product (the apple butter) and the right acidity of the finished product. I placed the hot apple butter in the clean jars (250ml size) and removed the air, wiped the lid clean and put on the snap lid. Then I processed them in the canner for 10 minutes of boiling water. (the water will stop boiling when you first put the jars in start the timer when the water comes back to a boil) When you take them out wait 12 hours and make sure the lid has popped down. (My lids pop usually within the first 30 minutes but you aren’t supposed to disturb them when they first come out and after all that work I will listen to the book!) Then they are good for the shelf. Benardin claims they are good for 2 years if you use the lemon juice.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Thanks for the tips Jennifer! Apple butter must be in the air ;) I still have to try that recipe you sent me with the spice infused pumpkin seeds!

70 Colleen January 20, 2013

Oh, may I please have the recipe for the pumpkin seeds? I am a huge fan of anything pumpkin!

71 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 26, 2012

I LOVE the simplicity of this Ange! Because I’m a cinnamon junkie I think I’d have to up the quantity of it a bit, but other than that this sounds amazing!! Honeycrisp apples are my all-time fave and I can’t wait until it’s officially apple season. Do you think it would work over low heat on the stove, rather than a slow cooker? Great photos!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

I cant see why it wouldnt work, I will have to try that next time!

73 Sam Nicaise September 26, 2012

Any idea if it can be done without a high-speed blender, or will this just result in “less-smooth” butter?

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

I recommend blending it (in any blender) if you can so the apple peels can pulverize. That being said, you could probably peel all the apples first if you dont want to blend it. It would be much less smooth but would still work. Also Ive heard some ppl use an immersion blender. Or you could try putting the apples in a food processor before cooking? let me know how it goes if you end up trying it out.

75 Robbin September 22, 2013

I left mine with peels and cooked them down and then blended them in the food processor and they cam out great.

76 Alexis @ Hummusapien September 26, 2012

I love that this doesn’t have any added sweetener. I bet it would be wonderful on toast in the morning!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

yes and swirled in oatmeal (had that this morning) :)

78 Trish September 26, 2012

I do love pumpkin butter but the apple is a nice change. Love how this recipe uses the slow cooker. Thanks for sharing!

79 Sarah @ Yogi in Action September 26, 2012

I wish I could eat your pictures some days…that apple butter looks delicious!! Definitely on my list of things to make!

80 Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z September 27, 2012

I’ve never eaten apple butter? How do you eat it, like applesauce or just as a spread on bread?

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

check out the link I posted at the end of the post – in my pumpkin butter recipe I gave a ton of ideas. :)

82 Iris Lee September 26, 2012

Wow, Angela, this looks delicious!! And it really screams FALL! I definitely want to give it a go soon. :)

And this is very overdue, but thank you for blogging! I’ve been following along for some time now, and I always love seeing what amazing things you’re cooking up. Your outlook on healthy living is so refreshing and real – truly an inspiration! I actually just started my own blog (several days ago!) and would be so excited if you have a moment to stop by and say hello. My photos are nowhere near as gorgeous as yours, but maybe one day! :)

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Thank you Iris, that means a lot to me. Congrats on starting a blog – I will head over and check it out!

84 Ashley September 26, 2012

Seriously want this right now!!! My friend Kelsey has a HUGE apple tree in her yard. Time to get picking!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

I would kill for an apple tree!! hah.

86 Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 26, 2012

Since Fall is slowly getting back into action I’ve been craving some sort of fruity butter! It’d be great on top of oatmeal! Naturally :D

87 Nicole September 26, 2012

This looks amazing – You have inspired me to try my hand at apple butter this chilly season. P.S. I love your site – the recipes are wonderful & the photos are awesome :)

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Let me know how it goes! Thanks for your kind words. :)

89 Tahlee September 27, 2012

Wow! That looks so delish. Silly question tho – what would you serve it with? :D

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Check out my link at the bottom of the post :)

91 Tahlee September 27, 2012

D’oh! :D

Thanks Angela. x

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

hah no worries!

93 Naomi Casiro (Health Here Help There) September 27, 2012

HI Angela!
This looks delicious! any suggestions for those of us without a slow cooker? Do you think you could just do it on the stove in a pot over a low heat?

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Yes I do think you could do iton the stovetop. I think another reader commented with suggestions yesterday, I would check out her tips if possible. I will have to try my next batch with the stovetop! I’ve also heard you can do it in the oven…will have to look into it more.

95 Sara September 27, 2012

I love your blog :) I have literally found myself logging on every morning at work (London time) to see what delights you have posted! And inevitably I end up popping in to the supermarket on the way home to pick up some butternut squash, kale or other lovely healthy ingredients! So just wanted to say thanks. Family and friends have all adored many of your recipes – banana peanut oatmeal and those lovely flax seed burgers and crispy wedges being the most recent! waiting for your book :)

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Hey Sara, Thank you so much. I appreciate your encouragement so much and I’m so glad you enjoy the recipes! Thanks for reading.

97 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 27, 2012

I would bet a roasted kabocha butter would be divine!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Now that is a fun idea!

99 Lisa C September 27, 2012

As soon as you made pumpkin butter, I thought, “Hey, we could improve on this…” and set to work in the same direction as you. Only difference is that I reversed what you did: put cored, unpeeled apples in the Vitamix on high until smooth and warm, poured batches into the slow cooker, added the cinnamon, covered it with a spoon propping the lid open, and walked away for an entire day. It was fabulous! Thanks for what you do. You inspire a lot of us in Pennsylvania!

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Thats funny – I originally tried processing the apples in my vitamix but they wouldnt blend! I even used the tamper stick….what’s your secret? hah

101 Lisa C September 27, 2012

I cut them into chunks and turn the blender all the way to “turbo” speed, pushing down hard at first with the tamper. Once it gets going, you can let it run until the sauce gets hot and the color a little darker. Instant applesauce at this point – we do this all winter long for dessert.

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

Thanks I will have to try it again. My apples were in slices so maybe that was the issue!

103 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 27, 2012

What a wonderful recipe!! I love apple butter!!

104 Karen September 27, 2012

I love this no-sugar, slow cooker version of apple butter. I don’t like added sweetener in my apple butter and am itching to break out my slow cooker for the first time this season. Plus, I just bought a boatload of a variety of apples from the farmer’s market! Great timing!

105 Andrea September 27, 2012

This looks so incredibly simple.. and with no sugar?! I just may be making this this season! Would love to see a butternut squash butter.. that sounds delicious.

106 Erika September 27, 2012

Love it! My question of what is apple butter vs. applesauce = resolved :)

107 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 27, 2012

This sounds wonderful! I’ll have to make it the next time I plan for company – I bet it makes the entire house smell heavenly.

108 Lisa September 27, 2012

Made this last night delish and to think I did not like apple butter (only had store bought before). Do not can either so I hope I can use it all up b4 it goes bad.

109 Elle September 27, 2012

Love this recipe! Probably going to try it this weekend with some Fuji Apples. Wondering if the consistency would change depending on the type of Apple you use? Fuji’s are usually a little more tart than your standard red apple. Wonder if peaches/nectarines would be too soft a fruit to try?

110 Shana September 27, 2012

Have you ever tried to make homemade apple cider? I recently did a post on it and it is RIDICULOUSLY easy. Like, took less than 10 minutes easy. You definitely need to give it a try!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

that looks good! What do you do with the leftover pulp?

112 Shana September 28, 2012

I (unsuccessfully) tried to make granola bars. I’m sure you would have much better luck! I also thought the pulp would marry nicely in some sort of fruit and nut energy ball. Maybe mixed with peanut butter?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Sometimes it takes a few tries with new ingredients! The story of my life… :)

114 Meg September 27, 2012

Love this recipe, made it last night… One tip, grease the crockpot with coconut oil before adding the apples and they don’t stick at all. I purposely did not stir during cooking time just to expiriment. Works perfectly!

115 Tash September 27, 2012

OMG Definately going to try this!! I make stewed apples in the slow cooker all the time, but just freeze it chunky so i can do what i like with it once defrosted. I have never had apple butter in my life, you cant find it here in New Zealand so once we are finished this batch of apples im off out to buy more haha. Theres a place i get apples for .69c a KG, which is about .55c US? SO cheap! Love it.

116 Nic@diningwithastud September 27, 2012

Bookmarking this right now! I want to make it this weekend :) looks great!

117 Donald September 28, 2012

Thanks for the recipe! TBW (the beautiful wife) and I love apple butter (or pumpkin, or pear, or peach, or etc…) and have some apples we need to do something with.
Sweet potatoes are also about to come into season; it’s not a fruit but it makes a wonderful butter. Could probably also use any of the winter squashes: Acorn, Blue Hubbard, Butternut, etc.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2012

Great idea :) I like how you think!

119 Dayanna September 28, 2012

love love love apple butter making season! we have a huge apple tree in the yard that never fails to produce! i did just cinnamon, nutmeg, and pinch of allspice last year but i am gonna add some grated ginger this year for a kick ;) ! i never would have thought to add lemon of for longer shelf life – great tips! thanks again OSG!

120 Dayanna September 29, 2012

my apple butter spent from 10am – now 1130pm in the slow cooker… and it is still the consistancy of apple sauce? I’ve had it sitting for the last 4 hours with no lid on …. to much water you think – suggestions? I did nothing different from last year… and it was so thick!!! weird….

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

Hmm..I’m not sure why that would be. did you pop it into the blender to blend it up smooth yet?
Maybe try adding a bit of sweetener to help get things going?
Let me know how it goes!

122 Dayanna platt September 30, 2012

I turned off the heat overnight and in the morning added coconut palm sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Then I used the immersion blender to whip it up, and it turned out thick and SO GOOD!!! Thanks (:

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

yay so glad to hear that!!

124 Stacy September 29, 2012

I made this recipe this morning – OH MY WORD!!! It is soooo delicious and simple!! Thanks Angela!

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

Hey Stacy, so glad it worked for you. :)

126 Lindsey September 29, 2012

I was so excited earlier this week when I saw this recipe! I was planning to make apple butter this weekend (for the first time) and the couple of recipes I had found so far had sugar in them. And then I saw yours and it doesn’t have sugar! My apples are in the slow cooker right now :)

127 Zoya September 30, 2012

Love all your recipes!! I’d love to see Fig Sauce on your website!!

128 Jan September 30, 2012

Sounds great and so much easier than how it’s usually made here in East TN, outside over an open fire in a huge kettle!

129 Kelsey October 1, 2012

Lovely! I am a huge fan of just letting the fruit’s natural sweetness speak for itself.. This would be heaven with a little natural almond or peanut butter on a nice crispy piece of toast.

130 Heathy @ Sweetly Raw October 1, 2012

I’ve got a batch of this in my slow cooker right now Angela! I’ve only ever made apple butter on the stove top before – thanks for a great idea. My house is smelling like pure apple goodness right now Mmmmm! I will probably be eating it like pudding for the first while, lol.

131 Jennifer October 1, 2012

Last year I made a batch of apple butter with a splash of champagne vinegar – it added a nice tangy punch to the rich dark apple butter. I use an immersion blender and it works perfectly. This has inspired me to pull out my slow cooker again!

132 Nanna October 2, 2012

Oh, I’ve got to try this! I’d love to see you cook up something like this using pears.

133 Shelley October 2, 2012

I made this last night and its delicious!! My husband was so impressed and happy!!
I’m going to post it on my blog and give you credit for such an awesome
(And easy) recipe!
Thanks!!

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2012

Im so glad to hear this Shelley!

135 Kimmy October 2, 2012

Pretty excited to try this out. I don’t actually have a slow cooker, but I will try and figure it out.
My hubby and I are originally from southwestern Ontario but just moved to California for a job offer and guess what they don’t have? Apple Butter! What is up with that?
Crazyness!

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2012

Really? Wow I wouldnt have thought that! Do you have a Trader Joe’s near by? I thought I heard someone say TJ’s has some. Enjoy your time in California!

137 Michele October 5, 2012

So glad you posted this. I wanted to do exactly the same thing (skins on, no sugar) but I didn’t want to put in all that work only for it to fail. You’ve done it, it works, that’s good enough for me! Thanks!

138 Kathy October 7, 2012

I bought some fresh apples yesterday from a farm, and I immediately thought of this recipe! Right now, it’s in the crockpot for the second time with the lid off, but oh it is SO good! I can’t wait until it’s finished and use it for your Apple Cinnamon Peanut Butter recipe (if I don’t eat it all by the spoonfuls first!!)
I also decided to put in some aloe vera juice when the apples were softening since I had some leftover in the fridge :)

139 Zita October 11, 2012

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it out and it turned out delicious! Only that next time I will definitely peel the apples. My blender shredded the apple peels into fine threads, almost like the wooden part of ginger, and it was very throat scratching and unpleasant. I tried blending more, did not help – I had to strain it in the end. But it was delicious, I will have to make it again!

140 Lindsay October 21, 2012

Oh, this is fabulous! I also threw in a few pears that were threatening to go bad and squeezed in the juice of two oranges instead of apple juice or lemon juice (I figured it was kind of half way in between!). No spices, no sugar. Yum! Who knew it was so easy?

141 Gesche October 23, 2012

Hi Angela,
I tried your recipe and added one vanilla bean while cooking! Great flavour! With soymilk, rolled oats and maple syrup makes a delicous apple pie smoothie ;)

Thanks
Gesche :)

142 Brooke October 27, 2012

Made this last night!! Spent the whole time worried that I didn’t do something correct! But it is delicious!! I didn’t use any sugar just a bit of a caramel apple cider I had on hand to prevent from sticking and it added just enough I think! Thank you for posting this recipe! I can not wait to have my toddler try it on top of her pancakes this morning…I would much rather use this than syrup!!

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

So glad it turned out for you. I always thought that I was doing something wrong in the past (umm and I did a couple tries!) but it’s so easy once you get the feel for it. Enjoy the rest!

144 jessica Fleming October 28, 2012

tried this out and loved it:)

145 luv what you do October 28, 2012

I just made this today and I LOVE it. The applesauce alone was incredible and I’m a few minutes and a stir of apple pie spice away from apple butter. I’ll be blogging all about it!!!

146 Faye November 11, 2012

What an amazing site!!!! I found it on Friday and haven’t put it down!!
Once an obsession occurs that’s it I’m in!
I am a naturopath from Australia and use these ingredients regulary but you have inspired me to take them to a whole other magical food level…. I’m excited beyond belief…. I dreamt of mason jars and nut butters!!
Thank you for an amazing site which will not only enrich my life but my clients as well!

Faye wills ND

147 Helene November 12, 2012

Question – have you had any luck or any advice on freezing the apple butter? I have all these apples from apple picking, and I want to make the apple butter for Christmas presents!

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2012

Hi Helene, I tried freezing a tiny amount in a baggie this year and it thawed just fine. I think it was in the freezer for 2-3 weeks. enjoy!

149 faye wills November 15, 2012

Hi Angela!!
Wow look at your work… I am a Naturopath from Australia. I found your website on Thursday last week and havent been able to put it down since! Its been truely addictive! I use these ingridients regularly but you have taken them to a level that is inspiring! Thank you I am now a busy bee with mason jars and Apple butter! It has been soul awakening and I know my clients and my family are going to love the new found delisiousness!!!!

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Its a pleasure to meet you! Thanks for your comment.

151 Christa November 17, 2012

How long did the apple butter last in the fridge? I made some last weekend and am hoping it will stay good through the coming weekend (just over 2 weeks). Please update if you found out how long it stays good. Thanks!! :)

152 Ali November 17, 2012

Hi, I just tried making this apple butter today and it worked out pretty well! The only thing was that I thought it was going to be a bit thicker, from what it looks like in your pictures. I left it cooking for about an extra half hour but it wouldn’t really thicken up. It kind of just got stuck in that super smooth applesauce stage. Any tips, or thoughts on what I might have missed? Thanks!

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

Hi Ali, Mine was the consistency of a thick applesauce, but very smooth from the blending. It should thicken the longer you cook it, so Im not sure what happened. Sometimes it can take an hour or two.

154 Heather November 30, 2012

I love this! Thank yoU! Hey I was wondering if you knew if there was anyway to “can” {preserve} homemade almond butter? I’m wanting to make a bunch for christmas presents and don’t want it to mold if people don’t use it right away

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2012

Hey Heather, Im sorry Im not sure! I find it lasts up to 2 months in the fridge though

156 Heather December 5, 2012

ok, great thank you!

157 Ines December 1, 2012

Hi Angela

Did you ever find out how long this lasted in the fridge? I was hoping to make some at Christmas!

Thanks for all the gorgeous recipes :)

158 Angela January 14, 2013

about 2 months :)

159 Jeanette December 15, 2012

Great recipe! I just made this apple butter and it came out delicious. I love the simplicity of it (just apples!) and the different ways you can use it. I will be making more of this. Thanks for posting this recipe.

160 Monica Lenne December 21, 2012

thank you for this. you saved my christmas apple butter gifts. my first batch turned to some kind of jam/jelly… and took 12 hours!!

161 Collette December 28, 2012

Made this to go with the Holiday Lentil Loaf. Should have read the recipe better, ended up with several canning jars and needed only 2 tablespoons for recipe. Tastes great with hot grain cereal, and made a few people happier at Christmas,

162 Kat January 3, 2013

Yay, just made this and it turned out soooo good :)

163 Crista January 14, 2013

GREAT recipe! although it seems like it takes FOREVER to make….

164 Jenna January 18, 2013

I gave the apple butter as Christmas gifts to friends and family instead of candy, and everyone raved how amazing it tasted! My family has an organic apple orchard, so I have access to the best fruit. Thanks for this woderful recipe!

165 Moira January 18, 2013

So yummy. My kids loved it. My VERY picky husband loved it (I added a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg to his)! So great.

166 Malgorzata January 20, 2013

I would like to make your 2011 version :-) Did you also blend apples while preparing this thick butter?

167 Thomas K Tinney February 17, 2013

Amazing!

168 Carolyn March 15, 2013

I am a recent convert to vegan lifestyle (24 years as lacto-ovo) and just found your website, love it! I noticed on this post you have questions about canning. I make no sugar with peel apple butter every year for christmas/hostess/teacher gifts. The kids of the families I give them to have come to ask for it mid year. Canning no-sugar apple butter couldn’t be easier. Depending on your altitude using a water bath canner for about 20 minutes should do the trick. I try to can about 40 pint jars of it every fall and it will hold for at least 8 months. I can’t say if it lasts longer because we have always run out by then, but I would guess you could get to at least one year with proper canning. This one is easy even if you are new to canning, a great way to get familiar. I would recommend looking up the time requirements for apples at whatever altitude you are.

169 Andy Glenn April 4, 2013

I’ve tried this recipe (or an offshot) and added other tart fruits like Rhubarb or Kiwi…Apple then serves as a “Base” but is it ever so awesome…

Cheers

170 Isha June 10, 2013

I absolutely LOVE this recipe! I tried it out as soon as I read this! I love your blog and all your amazing ideas! It’ll make anyone go vegan. I added a couple cinnamon sticks and it was a great choice! I also added some cardamom because I thought it would add to the amazing apple smell, but it didn’t do anything because of the intense smell, which was okay with me. The only thing was that my butter wasn’t very thick, it was more of a thick(ish) apple sauce. If I cooked it longer, would it be thicker? Thank you so much!

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2013

Hi Isha, Yes the longer you cook it the thicker it will get. Glad you enjoyed it anyway! :)

172 Zachary Spuckler June 14, 2013

Do You think this could be made in a much smaller batch? I don’t have the canning tools and just want to make enough for me (I cook for just me!)

173 Kristin July 19, 2013

I’m so happy I found your recipe! The apple butter looks amazing and you’ve made it seem easy to make! I have a quick question- how long does this apple butter stay good for?

174 Michelle August 5, 2013

We tried this apple butter recipe today and loved it! Thanks for posting!

175 Melissa September 1, 2013

I love that you make it without sugar. I’m going to do that when making for my family.

176 Karen Rodriguez September 5, 2013

I was very happy to find this recipe on Pinterest and made my first batch yesterday. For those of you who want to can: I called my dad to borrow his canner and he asked if the apple butter would be hot when I put it in the jars. I told him yes and he said I could put the lids and bands on tight and cover the jars with a towel and they would seal. I did and all five jars sealed! Thanks again for the recipe!!!

177 cortney September 7, 2013

I actually have apple-pear butter in the crock pot now it tastes really good so far but i unfortunatly found a different website before yours or else i wouldve used yours sounds so much better. But will try your method next and definitly will be looking at the pumpkin butter

178 marlies September 26, 2013

How long does this last in the fridge?

Thanks! :)

179 Steve September 27, 2013

I also go the no sugar added route, and it turns out fantastic. I also can it, as apples are quite acidic and the fact it’s being reduced only increases the acidity level in the butter. Can it 10 minutes in a hot water bath and you’re done. I am curious though, how you were able to keep the color that light?

180 marlies September 29, 2013

I just made this with a bunch of honeycrisps I picked and O.M.G. it is SO good!!! I could just eat it all, riiiight now :)

181 BonBon November 4, 2013

Thank you SO MUCH for this incredible recipe! I received a bag of apples from my boyfriend’s mom’s tree. I started this last night before I went to sleep, on low & with 2 cinnamon sticks. My house smelled so delicious when I woke up! Let it cool, mashed it up, and threw it in the food processor. I tasted it before putting it back into the crock pot and WOWZA! Amazing!!! I can’t wait until it’s done. I’m definitely adding this to my morning oatmeal. :)

182 B November 16, 2013

a good guide to canning is the US government publication: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/INTRO%20section%20Home%20Can.pdf

183 Lisa December 5, 2013

Hi. I plan on making apple butter and canning it for co worker gifts and I’ve been searching for the perfect recipe to make. I really like how there is no sweetener in this. As this is my first time I had a few questions:
If I were to use apple cider (since I have it on hand), how much should I use?
Would I still need the lemon juice?
I need to make 20 (8 oz) jars, how many jars does this recipe make?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

184 Lindsey December 23, 2013

Hi Angela,
Did you ever figure out how long it lasts in the fridge for? Thanks!

185 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2013

I think it lasts at least a few weeks :) enjoy!

186 Sara April 6, 2014

This looks so good!!! I was wondering, what would you eat this with typically for a meal?

187 Anna July 17, 2014

This sounds absolutely delicious! I’ve made applesauce before but never thought about making apple butter (though recently I’ve been trying to think of a way to recreate Trader Joe’s fig butter just to see if I can.) Anyway, I like the idea of using just apples and cinnamon and maybe some lemon juice and just use the bare minimum or leave the sugar out altogether (that’s basically how I do applesauce), and I agree about leaving the peels on. The only question I have is, since I don’t have a slow cooker, is there any way to make this on the stove or in the oven?

188 Olga September 7, 2014

Hi! Just want to ask you if you tried to preserve this apple butter? Not sure if I can do it without any sugar?

189 julie September 20, 2014

What about pressure canning? Could it be done that way?
thanks

190 Leah October 5, 2014

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! I have made this twice now and everything seems to be going great until I finish blending and there are these thin apple fibres that look (and kind of taste) like splinters! Did anyone else have this? How do I get rid of it?

191 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2014

Hey Leah, I think this would be a result of the blender. I recommend using a high speed blender – some just might not be able to get the apple pulverized enough. Anyway I hope it was enjoyed regardless! I would suggest peeling the apples next time if your blender can’t blend them enough. All my best!

192 Leah October 7, 2014

thanks for the quick reply! I ended up straining all of it! it took a while but once it was strained, it was so creamy and perfect! i put it back in the slow cooker for several hours and it tastes AMAZING!!!!

193 Maria Belen October 6, 2014

This is my fist time making apple butter. I have never used apple butter so now I need ideas for where I can put this yummy apple butter. Any ideas other than the oatmeal?

194 John October 8, 2014

Wonder if you could reverse this….blend 5 pounds of apples in a vitamix and then slow cook to desired thickness..? :)

195 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2014

I can’t see why not! :)

196 marie February 22, 2015

Hi,

this looks yummy but i was just wondering how you would eat this / what would you eat with it?

thankyou
Marie

197 Marcie September 10, 2015

Do you need to core the apples or remove the seeds?

198 Debra September 11, 2015

I just made this yesterday and it came out AMAZING!! No sugar needed, which was so great because Im totally off sugar right now. It doesnt need it!. I froze the rest in individual freezer bags for later use. So easy, cant thank you enough!

199 paula November 5, 2015

Hi I am a novice when it comes to making fruit butters & jellies, can you tell me is it necessary that canning takes place & why..thank you.

200 Marymarycontrary November 7, 2015

Even though this post is old, I found it while hunting for Apple butter recipes. My 90+ year old dad will love it. He is diabetic and the no sugar added version is just what he needs. My significant other is also a big fan of butters. All that’s needed is some warm fried biscuits to smear it on!
I used a combo of Jonathan and Macintosh apples, with the skin on. I also used my immersion blender right in the crockpot. No problems, no burns. Turned out pretty smooth with just few small lumps. Acceptable to me.
My question is: in freezing the butter, what do you put it in ? Someone mentioned jars. Glass or plastic? How much room is needed for expansion as it freezes?
Thx for the recipe and all the other ideas to try.