Whistler, British Columbia From My Phone

20120918_175628 20120918_171202

While I’m en route home after our trip in B.C., I thought I’d give you the shortened version of our 2 night stay in Whistler! Most photos are from my ‘droid. Better pics will be coming soon once I have a chance to process and sift through the hundreds of them!!

20120920_154628 20120918_171042

We drove from Victoria to Nanaimo to catch the ferry. Then took the ferry over and drove to Whistler along the Sea to Sky highway. The total trip was about 7 hours, including ferry wait time and making a few stops along the way. It is quite possibly the most gorgeous drive I’ve ever been on in my life. Actually, I’m pretty sure it is! There are a few places to stop and take photos, but the real gorgeous spots we had to just save in our minds. If you ever get the chance to drive this route, do it!!

One of our stops: Brandywine Falls. You only have to hike 500 or so metres to get to it and it’s a great excuse to get the legs moving!

20120920_145447

One of my favourite views of the entire trip. Another lookout point not far from the falls.

20120920_145939

Another pit stop along the sea to sky highway.

20120920_153036

Food pit stop!

20120918_180932

I enjoyed one of the best vegan cookies of my life at Zephyr Cafe in Squamish. Thanks for the tip to stop here! It was the size of my head like all good cookies should be. They also had quite a few vegan options here.

20120918_185745

Vegan goodies I found while in Whistler at Moguls Coffee House – vegan banana bread and a raspberry choc chip muffin. The muffin was like cake and super sweet, but yummy. The banana bread was a bit more modest. Not my usual breakfast foods, but they were fun to snack on throughout the stay!

20120919_100246

We had some major zip-lining fun!!

20120919_115345 20120919_112827

and the best group with two AMAZING instructors – Martin and Helen!!

Ziptrek

One of the 5 ziplines!

IMG_3539

I have to say, I blew my anxiety out of the water. It was so much fun! We took some fun videos that I will be putting together soon to show you.

Look ma no hands!!! [not phone pics]

Ziptrek_06

Ziptrek_08

Ziptrek_15

Going up to Whistler Peak.

20120919_154238

20120919_155149

OBSESSED. with. these.

20120919_142909

The air in Whistler was the freshest air I have ever experienced! Wish I could bottle it.

20120920_112114

We completely lucked out with the weather on this trip. It was 28C in Whistler and hot, hot, hot! Even at the peak it was warm enough to wear a tank and shorts. Crazy!

20120920_111044

Look who we bumped into! ;)

whistlerpeak (1 of 1)

Views!

20120920_111201

20120920_113736

Going back down the chair lift.

20120920_114308

Our reward – we came across a few vegan flavours at the gelato stand! Mango & mixed berry.

20120920_121115

Well, that’s all she wrote for now.

Time to board the plane for a day of travel. I’m so sad to leave B.C., however, so looking forward to sleeping in my own bed with my own fav pillow! I can’t wait to start going through the pictures from the trip. I’d say we took over 1500 or so….

See you next from Ontario!

1 Somer September 21, 2012

Looks like a great time! I still have a ghetto flip phone! This post is making me want to upgrade so that I can take more quality photos on the go! Beautiful views, and I really want that gelato and that cookie!

2 Simone September 21, 2012

I’m from Vancouver so I LOVED this post, so glad you had such a great time and what beautiful weather you had for your trip! Whistler is such a magical place, you should come back in the winter, even more breathtaking! I just got the iphone and am obsessed with the camera, I haven’t used my camera once since getting it, theres no need!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

Can you believe this weather? We didn’t have a single cloudy day. It was 28C in Whistler! Lucked out big time. Never thought I’d get a tan on this trip. ;) Lucky you for living in such a gorgeous place. I can’t wait to go back.

4 Joanna September 21, 2012

Great pics! Can’t wait to see the rest. I haven’t been to BC. Must do so soon!

5 Angie September 21, 2012

So glad you got to enjoy our beautiful Whistler! and you were here for such amazing weather.

6 Gina September 21, 2012

I just went up to Whistler last weekend (from Seattle) and it was so breathtaking…everywhere I looked! It was my first time there and I already can’t wait to go back this winter and again next summer. My boyfriend wants to try the crazy mountain biking on Whistler…I say go ahead…I’ll be at the spa;)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

We saw the mountain bikers too – took my breath away how fast they went downhill! Apparently they have easier trails for beginners though. We want to try it next time we go and have a bit more time.

8 Rachel September 21, 2012

Omg you are brave!! lol I would be terrified just hanging there haha

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

The scariest part was walking off the steps backward when I wanted to go upside Down! Other than that it was easy…promise!

10 Andrea September 21, 2012

You look like you were having so much fun ziplining!! Your photos make me want to visit Canada so much more every time I see them! Glad you had fun! :)

11 Addy @ Six-Kick Switch September 21, 2012

Look at you guys on that zip-line, it looks like so much fun! Even from your Droid, Whistler looks breath-taking! It’s definitely going on the never-ending list of “Places to Visit”….thanks for the photos!

12 Emily Petersen September 21, 2012

omg isn’t beautiful!? we took that highway in February from Vancouver. We spent a few days skiing and exploring the shops in whistler village. So so so pretty, i want to go back!

13 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 21, 2012

Wow!! What gorgeous pics and I’m so jealous of the ziplining!! I’m PRAYING I can get enough weight off by our trip next year to do that! I’ll live vicariously through you until then! Can’t wait for the “official” recap!

14 Nicola gildersleeve September 21, 2012

I’m from north van but lived in Squamish for 8 months last year. I went to the zephyr almost everyday it’s so good!!!! I’ve ran and biked the sea to sky from west van to Squamish! It’s always so spectacular!! Glad you had a great time.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

That sounds incredible! I love that cafe.

16 katty lea September 21, 2012

ahh! ziplining looks like so much fun! and you definitely lucked out, weatherwise. can’t wait to see more pics :) i LOVE B.C.

17 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 21, 2012

The sky is sooooo stunningly blue and gorgeous! Wow! Ive heard Whistler is just beautiful and every pic I’ve ever seen of it helps it live up to it’s reputation. Thanks for sharing these!

And that cookie! I want it!

18 Lynn September 21, 2012

Since your so obsessed with the Kale Krunch as I am, I have a recipe that clones the Cheesy Chipotle Krunch and I make it almost once a week if it lasts that long. I would venture to say its tastes pretty darn close and makes a lot more, but its a breeze.

19 char eats greens September 21, 2012

Looks like an amazing trip!! Kudos to Eric – what an awesome guy!!!! Tyler and I lived in Kelowna 2 years ago and I can’t believe we didn’t drive to Whistler. He had been before for skiing, but I had never been! Total regret there!!

Hope you have a safe flight home!! PS – I was holding down Oakville for you last weekend. I assure it it’s still beautiful there, too!!

20 Nadine September 21, 2012

Amazing pictures!
My husband and I moved from Ottawa to Vancouver Island 2 years ago and have never looked back. We joke all of the time about “drinking the air” – t’s like wine.
We wanted to go to Whistler and now your photos give us even more motivation to check it out. The zip lining looks fun and I really want to try the downhill mountain biking.
Safe travels home :)

21 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 21, 2012

What an awesome looking trip! My husband and I are hoping to travel out to Edmonton to visit family and then on to BC in the next couple of years. He was in Prince George, BC in August for a baseball tournament and he said the same thing about the air. He couldn’t believe how fresh and clean it felt compared to Ontario air!

22 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 21, 2012

Brings back memories!! Probably my favourite place in the world!

23 Kira September 21, 2012

Shoot! I didn’t know what days you were passing through, I would have recommended the Howe Sound Brew Pub in Squamish!!! (My boyfriend is a brewer!! So maybe a free drink and a pit stop on the patio! ) Next time!!!!

24 Willow September 21, 2012

What an awesome trip! I can’t wait to see more of the photos. Makes me want to go hiking just looking at them! :)

25 laura September 21, 2012

Looks like you had an awesome time! I NEED to go zip lining, looks like so much fun.

26 Sonia the Mexigarian September 21, 2012

Brings back so many memories of our drive up the coast to Whistler. Amazing and breathtaking. Did you see a lot of bald eagles on the drive? Very glad you went upside down on the zipline! Crazy fun, right?? By the end of the zips, I was laughing from having so much fun in the fresh mountain air. Can’t wait to see more photos!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2012

No I don’t think we did see any…next time!

28 Beth @ Tasty Yummies September 21, 2012

wow such amazing pictures, looks like an amazing trip. I am definitely envious!

29 Heidi kokborg September 21, 2012

It looks like you are having an amazing time in BC :) And it looks absolutely gorgeous on the pictures – I would really love to go Canada (and especially BC after having seen these pictures!). I really hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation :)

30 Sherisse September 21, 2012

This post makes me feel so lucky to live here, thanks for sharing!

31 Lacy September 21, 2012

Oh, I would really love to try the zip lines one day.
Lucky you, having so many yummy things to eat.

32 Meredith September 21, 2012

I am now obsessed with Whistler! I visited last month for Wanderlust and I never wanted to leave. I also tried the vegan chocolate chip muffin from Mogul’s for breakfast my last morning there – so sweet and cakey and indulgent, but good for a change :)

33 Anna @ NorthVanVegan September 21, 2012

Those cookies look like they are worth a drive to Squamish for sure! I will have to check out Zephyr. Kale Krunch is amazing too, I love the tarragon dijon flavour.

34 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 22, 2012

Love the pictures! I went zip-lining in Hawaii and it was one of the most fun things I’ve done. I ended up falling down a ramp while still attached to the zip-line and skinned my leg and had red hawaiian dirt all over it (I was trying to impress one of the cute instructors and he said it was a tricky run so I volunteered to go first and obviously failed epically). Then he asked me out so it ended up being a good story :)

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2012

that’s cute!!

36 Elizabete September 22, 2012

Beautiful. The place seems unreal, nature is truly beautiful.
And zip-lining must have been great fun too, makes me want to visit North-America :)

37 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 22, 2012

That looks like such a beautiful drive! I honestly don’t even mind long car rides when the scenery is as nice as that. It can keep me entertained for hours!

38 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 22, 2012

Looks like you had SUCH an amazing time Ange!! I totally hear you on the fresh air – I couldn’t get enough of it when I was in Vancouver! It sounds weird, but it made me jut want to stand outside and breathe (now I know why the Lulu folk are all about breathing deeply!!) I’m so so proud of you for ziplining. Can’t wait to hear more about it when you get back!!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2012

hah when I was there, I totally thought to myself “I would breathe better if I lived here” ;) Need to work on that now home…

40 Maria September 22, 2012

Wow it looks so beautiful there- what wonderful weather. I went to Whistler at the start of the summer (had 3 nights) on the way to Hawaii- the sea to sky highway was indeed spectacular. Did you brave the peak to peak gondola? So scary!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2012

Yes we did! I didn’t find it scary for some reason though…but it was after the ziplining so I was feeling brave! hah

42 Emily @ www.main-eats.com September 22, 2012

Looks AMAZING!!! Such beautiful pics and congratulations on kicking your anxiety’s booty! Glad you had a great time-you both look so happy! : )

43 recipes video September 22, 2012

wow,i want to be there, i like it alot

44 Katie September 22, 2012

Looking at these photos is a good reminder of why I am so thankful to live in BC… it’s so easy to forget how beautiful it is here!
That cookie that you got looks like one that they sell at Planet Organic – a local health-foods store. Here’s the recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/planet-organic-cosmic-cookies-292060 They are my favorite!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

yummy! I made a couple trials of the cokie yesterday and didn’t nail it, but had a great result anyway! Maybe I will have to try this out sometime. :) I see many of the ingredients are the same!

46 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy September 22, 2012

how fun!!! i love the zip line pics – how awesome!

47 Meg September 22, 2012

This post made me so happy! I know what you mean about the anxiety from the zip line! I went for the first time this summer, but now I kind of feel addicted! Great pictures :) <3

48 Kathy Patalsky September 22, 2012

oh my goodness. the ‘going back down the chairlift’ photo gave me chills! Brave girl. Looks like a super adventure – thanks for sharing it! :)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

That was probably the scariest part just going over that cliff in the chair, but we soon forgot about the fear and just soaked it all in!

50 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats September 22, 2012

Wow that zip-lining looks so amazingly fun!!! If I ever get the opportunity to do this, I will now say yes. ~.^

51 Sarah September 23, 2012

hahah I totally had Martin as my ziplining instructor in August! He is awesome!
also, i loved moguls and their sister cafe with the vegan soups (I can’t remember what they were called!) and I also had sorbetto at the same gelato stand. Weird.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

Small world!! Isn’t Martin fun? Helen and him were just about the best instructors we could’ve asked for. I miss them! Is that weird?
Sounds like we found the same treats :) I only wish we had more time there.

53 Kate @ Hujsanje September 23, 2012

Great pictures. It looks like you r having a really great time there :) Can`t wait to see the videos :)

54 Sharon @ Bit of the Good Stuff September 23, 2012

Wow what an amazing trip! Whistler is such a beautiful place! I’ve only been there in the Winter, but I’d love to take a summer vacation there some time.
The raspberry choc chip muffin looks out of this world!!! You much try & re-create it when you get back. The Canadians really do know how to make amazing muffins. The best muffins I’ve ever had were from a little cafe in Deep Cove near Vancouver. They were called ‘Omega muffins’, packed with seeds and berries. They were huge too, like the one in your pic. I wish I could make such awesome muffins at home, but no luck so far :(

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

Those sound great! I love muffins (and cookies) the size of my head…heh.

56 Sarina @ Earthgiven Kitchen September 23, 2012

What a fun trip! I’m so glad you found some great vegan treats on your travels. I grew up in west Canada and I miss those views! I was happy to see you zip-lining, way to kick your anxiety! Thanks for sharing.

57 Lauren @ Powered by Oatmeal September 23, 2012

Ahhh I need to get out there! Whistler has been on my list of places to ski since FOREVER, but even without the snow it looks absolutely amazing. Being in the flatlands has made me crave mountains even more than normal – I guess it’s good to figure out what is important to you but man do I need to get back to some higher elevations!

58 Hilary (Four Little Forks) September 23, 2012

I lived in Vancouver for ten years and recently moved to San Francisco for husband’s job. Your photos are making me so homesick! And OMG that gelato. No words.

59 Jen @ Passport to Bliss September 23, 2012

Wow Angie! Way to zipline! I guess if you’re going to do it…it’s all or nothing!!! Definitely on my to-do list :) Glad you had a great time!

60 Sarah @ Yogi in Action September 23, 2012

Aww- I wish I had checked earlier- I know of a great vegan restaurant in Vancouver! My sister lives there and is vegan and always tells me about it! Looks like you had a great trip with delicious eats regardless! Great job on the zip lines!

61 Dexter September 23, 2012

It looks like you had a lot of fun. BEAUTIFUL scenery. Jealous!

62 Kait @ yogabeautylife September 23, 2012

I absolutely LOVE the photo of you in the side view mirror. It makes me smile every time I check the blog.

Also, I’m jealous of the ziplining…I definitely want to go. Thanks for the inspiration. ;)

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2012

hah thanks…I’m a dork

64 Jessica Engel September 23, 2012

Oh wow- the zip-lining looked amazing, especially with the incredible views!!

65 Tori September 24, 2012

I live in Whistler and I loved this post but I find being vegan in Whistler so frustrating–did you find this as well? The grocery stores have very little.

Glad you had an awesome time.

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2012

It was for sure the most difficult of our travels! Luckily I had a lot of food packed and we had an amazing meal at an Indian restaurant.

67 Ruth September 24, 2012

Whistler is my FAVORITE place on all of earth (that I’ve been to so far)! Your pictures and mention of various restaurants bring back memories. Thanks for sharing!!

68 maneet September 24, 2012

We went to Whistler when it was all covered in snow. It was beautiful then and it is beautiful now! Great pictures!

Maneet

69 Life's a Bowl September 25, 2012

SO pretty! I’ve never been to Canada [eating dinner there once when we were in Michigan does not count haha] but have always wanted to go during the fall/ winter- I’ve heard there’s great skiing!!!

P.S. The picture of you on the zipline is fabulous :D

70 Nikita September 27, 2012

I took a trip to B.C. (Salt Spring Island, Nanaimo, Victoria) this summer with the couple I take care of and it blew my mind how beautiful it was! Not only that, everyone was SO nice and friendly!
I’m glad you guys had fun, too!

71 virginia September 28, 2012

My Homeland! I LOVE BC – so glad you enjoyed yourself so thoroughly. I relocated from Ottawa 5 years ago and never looked back – now you can see why!

72 Lori September 29, 2012

Hi Angela! Love your photos and that you’re visiting my part of the country. After a great hike north of Squamish, I popped into zephir cafe today to try out the highly recommended vegan cookie. I got the gluten free one, but was pretty dissapointed with it- I thought only mediocre and I much prefer the ones I bake here at home with your recipe. I wonder if the wheat one is the one you had and this might account for the difference? I did also get a beet raspberry cake there, and it was pretty awesome, so the visit wasn’t a dissapointment :) Look forward to more of your photos!

73 Roge March 23, 2013

What incredible scenery, absolutely breathtaking. Phone technology has come such a long way now that you never really need to carry a dedicated camera anymore. Superb.

74 Bret April 12, 2013

May I what company you zip-lined with in Whistler? We are headed there for summer vacation and we want to take our 15 year old daughter zipping. The place you zipped at looked awesome!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 12, 2013

hey Bret, We went with the company Ziptrek – I couldn’t recommend then more! So friendly :)

76 Sophie May 22, 2014

I don’t know how it took me so long to come across this post! I follow your blog religiously, but somehow missed this post. I live in Squamish, and actually work at Zephyr! I agree…those cookies are absolutely unbelievable! I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip to my hometown :)

77 julia murray November 18, 2014

Glad you visited ! I grew up here and still have not intention of leaving :) If you’re looking for a good breakfast- hit up any grocery store for Jules Fuel ! :)