5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

butternut   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

One of my favourite fall vegetables is, without a doubt, the butternut squash. Growing up, I rarely ate squash and really didn’t know how good it was. Once I started blogging, I was inspired by all kinds of recipes and gave it another shot. Now, I can’t imagine going more than a week or so at a time without it during the fall and winter. I am hooked for life!

Today, I’m sharing 5 of my all-time favourite ways to enjoy butternut squash. Be sure to share yours in the comments!

1. Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

These are still the best burritos I have ever made. They have a kick of heat to them (that you can control yourself) and a light sweetness thanks to the butternut squash. The filling is so good I found myself eating it on its own. Use it to sprinkle on salads or as a dip for crackers in addition to making burritos. You could also try using sweet potato or pumpkin as a way to change up the butternut filling. Either way, you have to make this recipe!

IMG 3732   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

2. Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze

This is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. I had no idea it was going to be such a hit when I made it, but many of us sure did fall in love with it. Feel free to experiment with different spices and seasonings.

IMG 2422 thumb   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

3. Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Stew

This soup is a great way to use up leftover butternut squash. It comes together in about 25 minutes once you have your roasted butternut. It’s comfort food in a bowl, so make it on a chilly, rainy fall day when you need a warm hug.

IMG 2628   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

4. Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

A recipe I adapted from the wonderful Emily – this is hands down the most unique way I’ve ever had chili. The recipe is a lot of work, but it’s SO worth it. I cannot wait to make it again this season. Don’t want to make the chili? You could really serve all kinds of soup in pumpkin bowls, so feel free to get creative.

20101007IMG 4585   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

How cute is this!

20101007IMG 4572   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

5. Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash

This was my quote back in 2009 when I posted the recipe, “Let me just preface this ever so modestly by saying that this is the best way you will ever, ever, ever eat butternut squash. I’m not even joking!” Now that is a glowing review, if I’ve ever heard one! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This is fantastic as a side to a main course meal.

butternut squash 5176   5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

BONUS RECIPE!

6. You have to try my Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan – it’s a new top recipe on the blog!

What are your favourite ways to enjoy butternut squash?

Senator September 19, 2012

Mmmm they all look delicious! I’ll have to pass along some of these to my dad (he’s the chef of the family)!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 19, 2012

the mac n cheese looks amazing – must try!

Cady September 19, 2012

Is it time for fall squash already? I love butternut squash and my favorite recipe is
your squash and black bean burritos. I’ll have to branch out and try the others.

Carissa September 19, 2012

I’m pretty sure roasted butternut squash is nature’s candy. It’s SO good!

lisa November 7, 2012

I have to agree!! My kids could eat that every night!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 19, 2012

I’m a newcomer to the butternut squash craze but I made a wonderful tropical butternut squash soup with it and I’m in love!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 19, 2012

I’ve never had a butternut squash before and now I have zero excuses!

Jamie @ StudioEats September 19, 2012

Thank you for this post!! I am going to make that squash/lentil stew. Yum!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2012

Oh wow… thanks for posting these. I forgot all about those lentils. Can’t wait to try that out in this cooler weather!

My all-time favorite butternut recipe is my butternut squash-apple soup. I use a little red pepper-infused olive out and that heat of the end with the sweetness of the apple and squash is awesome.

Sarina @ Earthgiven September 19, 2012

WOW, normally squash is one of the few vegetables I don’t care for, but your recipes look so great they are enticing me! You are converting a non-squash believer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012

Good to hear!! Try the baked garlic one…it’s incredible!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 19, 2012

SO happy its squash season again! I can’t wait to make some of my pear butternut squash soup! Its a fall favorite!

Ileana September 19, 2012

Those burritos look awesome!

JMK0316 September 19, 2012

Wow these all look delish! My fav butternut squash recipe is my soup that I made a few years ago. I found a roadside stand selling squash so big that the top hooked over and the countrified lady called them neck pumpkins. It was a little adorable. 1 regular sized butternut, 1 large onion, 1 pinch cayenne (however big you want), and a sprig of rosemary. Roast the squash, saute the onion in a soup pot in a little butter, add the squash, cayenne, and rosemary. Let them caramelize, then add 3 cups of broth. Cook until the squash begins to break down in the broth, then blend (either with an immersion blender or by transferring carefully to a blender or food pro). Once smooth, add 1 cup cream or milk, depending on how rich you want it. Taste for seasoning – then eat!

Angela September 19, 2012

My favorite is actually one of your recipes “Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad” from a post in October of 2010. It is not in the recipes though, which makes me sad, so I always have to look for it via regular search for “butternut squash” posts! I love it becuase it’s so simple and quick and super duper tasty – I NEVER ate any kind of squash before OSG, so thanks for that! It’s great warm or cold for lunches later in the week so very versatile too. Here’s the link to the post with the recipe:
So yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012

Not sure how I missed that one, I will have to enter it in…thanks for the heads up!

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 19, 2012

This is definitely my favourite Fall veggie too! I’ve made the burritos and chili before and they are both delicious — but my favourite way to eat it is when its chopped into chunks and roasted in a little coconut oil and sea salt. Sometimes we even do it up in fries. SO GOOD!!!

Somer September 19, 2012

Butternut squash is one of the MAIN reasons I love this time of year! I want to make all your recipes and plus a butternut lasagna!

Laura S. September 19, 2012

I love cumin and Indian-spiced butternut soup, and your black bean & butternut squash burritos get RAVE reviews from my friends and family every time I serve it. One friend at work already put in a request for me to make it soon since the butternuts are starting to come out in full force. I can see why it’s a favorite on the blog – amazing recipe!

Hope you’re having fun in BC!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012

That’s great to hear, thanks for making my day!

Siri September 19, 2012

Could not be more perfect with the timing here! I was just sitting here staring at the butternut squash I picked up at the farmers market last week wondering what the heck I should do with it!

Robyn September 19, 2012

DEFinately love your butternut mac n cheese…soooo good!

Elizabeth September 19, 2012

I love butternut squash too! I can’t get enough of it come Fall. My favorite recipe is stuffed butternut squash. I half the squash and clean them out. Then roast until tender. Stuff with a mix of quinoa, sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, evoo, dried cranberries, walnuts, and spices.

Kerry September 19, 2012

I’ve never had butternut squash, but I really want to try it after seeing all of these recipes! I want to try them all! I’ve made your butternut mac & cheese with pumpkin before, and I really loved it. I can’t wait to try it with the butternut instead.

Megan September 19, 2012

YUM! The sound and look of the butternut squash and black bean burrito sounds amazing! It is now on my recipe to-do list. I love butternut squash, especially in the fall, it is delicious and versatile. By the way, I love your new layout!

Karen September 19, 2012

Hi Angela – I noticed that parm. cheese is an ingredient in the garlic/squash recipe…perhaps you had not turned vegan when you originally posted it? In any event, all of these recipes sound great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012

Yup, I wasn’t vegan at the time, but you can easily sub in vegan parmesan in this recipe. I have one on my blog somewhere, but I usually just toast sesame seeds and almonds and blend it with salt and nooch in a processor. It’s amaaazing!

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 19, 2012

I love butternut squash and I’m actually working on trying to create a butternut squash chili recipe now.

allison September 19, 2012

the burritos are a favorite of all of us. my 3 kids love this filling. i eat it on it’s on too…sooo delicious. i made it just the other day and used half the squash the next day in a crockpot lentil soup creation :-) with black bean buns and we ate the whole 5qt pot that night :-)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 19, 2012

I love the mac n cheese and need to make it!

I enjoy making soups with it…nothing too exotic or fancy, but just pureed with a red pepper and coconut milk, it’s great!

Kathy September 19, 2012

We’ve been using a lot of butternut squash as it was abundant in the garden this year. We slice it like fries and bake them for a delicious low fat fry. We also made a pie that tasted just like a pumpkin pie… delic! Also just bake it and sprinkle with butter & brown sugar. I haven’t found a recipe yet I haven’t liked.

Eating 4 Balance September 19, 2012

I love butternut squash fries! So delicious!

Erika September 19, 2012

Oh my gosh those all look so good! I LOVE the look of your black bean and butternut squash burrito. Butternut squash is one of my faves, but I need to figure out an easier way to peel it! I also love butternut squash fries and butternut squash risotto with peas and sage!

Heidi kokborg September 19, 2012

Wow, that burrito looks amazing! I want one right now :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 19, 2012

It’s not until you post recipe roundups like you did today that I realize how many of your recipes I’ve actually made. Seriously. In every round up you post I must be averaging something like 85% made and LOVED!

I’m with you, butternut squash is fabulous! Last night I sauteed onions, garlic and squash and then put it on a bed of lightly steamed kale. Zomg it was to die for!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012

that makes me happy, thanks Leanne!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 19, 2012

Oh my… butternut squash is one of the best parts about fall if you ask me! :) The wrap looks absolutely amazing. I love incorporating it into as many meals as possible, but sometimes just roasted with a bit of garlic and herbs is just fine by me! :)

April September 19, 2012

My favorite b-nut squash recipe ever is your mac and cheez, but I de-veganize mine with butter and milk. My husband never even knew it wasn’t real cheese, he thought it was a special blend of fancy cheeses!

chelsey September 19, 2012

I am so sad for summer produce to be ending, but your post got me at least a bit more excited for fall! Yum!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife September 19, 2012

I must try the Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze and I also love that cute little pumpkin option! it is so adorable!

Zestful Lou September 19, 2012

I’ve been craving the butternut squash mac n cheeze ever since I made my own version last year. I love the tweaks you’ve made to your version and will be trying it out soon…just as soon as I eat up my spaghetti squash. :-)

Alexis @ Hummusapien September 19, 2012

Okay so I made the first three on the list last year and they were definitely all delish. I’d have to say my favorite is the mac and cheese because I love how fast it comes together and how I can add just about anything green. I can’t wait to make emily’s chili, too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 19, 2012

Thanks for the reminder that I’ve been meaning to try those burritos! I’ve had them bookmarked for ages!

One of my favourite ways to eat butternut squash is in risotto! But I also love it just roasted with olive oil and salt. You’re definitely right that sometimes simple is better. Especially when the main ingredient is something as sweet and delicious as squash!

Lia September 19, 2012

Yummm! I love butternut Squash! Great timing by the way! My roommate just came home with about 6 different kinds of squash, and I’m sure these recipes can accommodate her sudden gourd frenzy.

Rachel @ The Vegan Mishmash September 19, 2012

That burrito looks filling and delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try it this fall!

sarah September 19, 2012

I have an old Foodland Ontario recipe for a curry that has lentils, potatoes and peppers with butternut squash–been making it for years– always a cold weather favorite!

Page 1 of 3123»