5 Favourite Butternut Squash Recipes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 19, 2012

butternut

One of my favourite fall vegetables is, without a doubt, the butternut squash. Growing up, I rarely ate squash and really didn’t know how good it was. Once I started blogging, I was inspired by all kinds of recipes and gave it another shot. Now, I can’t imagine going more than a week or so at a time without it during the fall and winter. I am hooked for life!

Today, I’m sharing 5 of my all-time favourite ways to enjoy butternut squash. Be sure to share yours in the comments!

1. Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

These are still the best burritos I have ever made. They have a kick of heat to them (that you can control yourself) and a light sweetness thanks to the butternut squash. The filling is so good I found myself eating it on its own. Use it to sprinkle on salads or as a dip for crackers in addition to making burritos. You could also try using sweet potato or pumpkin as a way to change up the butternut filling. Either way, you have to make this recipe!

IMG_3732

2. Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze

This is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. I had no idea it was going to be such a hit when I made it, but many of us sure did fall in love with it. Feel free to experiment with different spices and seasonings.

IMG_2422_thumb

3. Red Lentil and Butternut Squash Stew

This soup is a great way to use up leftover butternut squash. It comes together in about 25 minutes once you have your roasted butternut. It’s comfort food in a bowl, so make it on a chilly, rainy fall day when you need a warm hug.

IMG_2628

4. Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

A recipe I adapted from the wonderful Emily – this is hands down the most unique way I’ve ever had chili. The recipe is a lot of work, but it’s SO worth it. I cannot wait to make it again this season. Don’t want to make the chili? You could really serve all kinds of soup in pumpkin bowls, so feel free to get creative.

20101007IMG_4585

How cute is this!

20101007IMG_4572

5. Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash

This was my quote back in 2009 when I posted the recipe, “Let me just preface this ever so modestly by saying that this is the best way you will ever, ever, ever eat butternut squash. I’m not even joking!” Now that is a glowing review, if I’ve ever heard one! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This is fantastic as a side to a main course meal.

butternut squash-5176

BONUS RECIPE!

6. You have to try my Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan – it’s a new top recipe on the blog!

What are your favourite ways to enjoy butternut squash?

Senator September 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

Mmmm they all look delicious! I’ll have to pass along some of these to my dad (he’s the chef of the family)!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 19, 2012 at 11:09 am

the mac n cheese looks amazing – must try!

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014 at 2:33 am

Beware! Once you try it you will be addicted!

Cady September 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Is it time for fall squash already? I love butternut squash and my favorite recipe is
your squash and black bean burritos. I’ll have to branch out and try the others.

Carissa September 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

I’m pretty sure roasted butternut squash is nature’s candy. It’s SO good!

lisa November 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I have to agree!! My kids could eat that every night!

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’m a newcomer to the butternut squash craze but I made a wonderful tropical butternut squash soup with it and I’m in love!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’ve never had a butternut squash before and now I have zero excuses!

Jamie @ StudioEats September 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thank you for this post!! I am going to make that squash/lentil stew. Yum!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh wow… thanks for posting these. I forgot all about those lentils. Can’t wait to try that out in this cooler weather!

My all-time favorite butternut recipe is my butternut squash-apple soup. I use a little red pepper-infused olive out and that heat of the end with the sweetness of the apple and squash is awesome.

Sarina @ Earthgiven September 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

WOW, normally squash is one of the few vegetables I don’t care for, but your recipes look so great they are enticing me! You are converting a non-squash believer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Good to hear!! Try the baked garlic one…it’s incredible!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

SO happy its squash season again! I can’t wait to make some of my pear butternut squash soup! Its a fall favorite!

Ileana September 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Those burritos look awesome!

JMK0316 September 19, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Wow these all look delish! My fav butternut squash recipe is my soup that I made a few years ago. I found a roadside stand selling squash so big that the top hooked over and the countrified lady called them neck pumpkins. It was a little adorable. 1 regular sized butternut, 1 large onion, 1 pinch cayenne (however big you want), and a sprig of rosemary. Roast the squash, saute the onion in a soup pot in a little butter, add the squash, cayenne, and rosemary. Let them caramelize, then add 3 cups of broth. Cook until the squash begins to break down in the broth, then blend (either with an immersion blender or by transferring carefully to a blender or food pro). Once smooth, add 1 cup cream or milk, depending on how rich you want it. Taste for seasoning – then eat!

Angela September 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

My favorite is actually one of your recipes “Warm Butternut Squash and Chickpea Salad” from a post in October of 2010. It is not in the recipes though, which makes me sad, so I always have to look for it via regular search for “butternut squash” posts! I love it becuase it’s so simple and quick and super duper tasty – I NEVER ate any kind of squash before OSG, so thanks for that! It’s great warm or cold for lunches later in the week so very versatile too. Here’s the link to the post with the recipe:
So yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Not sure how I missed that one, I will have to enter it in…thanks for the heads up!

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This is definitely my favourite Fall veggie too! I’ve made the burritos and chili before and they are both delicious — but my favourite way to eat it is when its chopped into chunks and roasted in a little coconut oil and sea salt. Sometimes we even do it up in fries. SO GOOD!!!

Somer September 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Butternut squash is one of the MAIN reasons I love this time of year! I want to make all your recipes and plus a butternut lasagna!

Laura S. September 19, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love cumin and Indian-spiced butternut soup, and your black bean & butternut squash burritos get RAVE reviews from my friends and family every time I serve it. One friend at work already put in a request for me to make it soon since the butternuts are starting to come out in full force. I can see why it’s a favorite on the blog – amazing recipe!

Hope you’re having fun in BC!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That’s great to hear, thanks for making my day!

Siri September 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Could not be more perfect with the timing here! I was just sitting here staring at the butternut squash I picked up at the farmers market last week wondering what the heck I should do with it!

Robyn September 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm

DEFinately love your butternut mac n cheese…soooo good!

Elizabeth September 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I love butternut squash too! I can’t get enough of it come Fall. My favorite recipe is stuffed butternut squash. I half the squash and clean them out. Then roast until tender. Stuff with a mix of quinoa, sauteed onions, mushrooms, garlic, evoo, dried cranberries, walnuts, and spices.

Kerry September 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I’ve never had butternut squash, but I really want to try it after seeing all of these recipes! I want to try them all! I’ve made your butternut mac & cheese with pumpkin before, and I really loved it. I can’t wait to try it with the butternut instead.

Megan September 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

YUM! The sound and look of the butternut squash and black bean burrito sounds amazing! It is now on my recipe to-do list. I love butternut squash, especially in the fall, it is delicious and versatile. By the way, I love your new layout!

Karen September 19, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Hi Angela – I noticed that parm. cheese is an ingredient in the garlic/squash recipe…perhaps you had not turned vegan when you originally posted it? In any event, all of these recipes sound great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yup, I wasn’t vegan at the time, but you can easily sub in vegan parmesan in this recipe. I have one on my blog somewhere, but I usually just toast sesame seeds and almonds and blend it with salt and nooch in a processor. It’s amaaazing!

[email protected] September 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I love butternut squash and I’m actually working on trying to create a butternut squash chili recipe now.

allison September 19, 2012 at 1:12 pm

the burritos are a favorite of all of us. my 3 kids love this filling. i eat it on it’s on too…sooo delicious. i made it just the other day and used half the squash the next day in a crockpot lentil soup creation :-) with black bean buns and we ate the whole 5qt pot that night :-)

Averie @ Averie Cooks September 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I love the mac n cheese and need to make it!

I enjoy making soups with it…nothing too exotic or fancy, but just pureed with a red pepper and coconut milk, it’s great!

Kathy September 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

We’ve been using a lot of butternut squash as it was abundant in the garden this year. We slice it like fries and bake them for a delicious low fat fry. We also made a pie that tasted just like a pumpkin pie… delic! Also just bake it and sprinkle with butter & brown sugar. I haven’t found a recipe yet I haven’t liked.

Eating 4 Balance September 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I love butternut squash fries! So delicious!

Erika September 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oh my gosh those all look so good! I LOVE the look of your black bean and butternut squash burrito. Butternut squash is one of my faves, but I need to figure out an easier way to peel it! I also love butternut squash fries and butternut squash risotto with peas and sage!

Heidi kokborg September 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Wow, that burrito looks amazing! I want one right now :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm

It’s not until you post recipe roundups like you did today that I realize how many of your recipes I’ve actually made. Seriously. In every round up you post I must be averaging something like 85% made and LOVED!

I’m with you, butternut squash is fabulous! Last night I sauteed onions, garlic and squash and then put it on a bed of lightly steamed kale. Zomg it was to die for!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

that makes me happy, thanks Leanne!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Oh my… butternut squash is one of the best parts about fall if you ask me! :) The wrap looks absolutely amazing. I love incorporating it into as many meals as possible, but sometimes just roasted with a bit of garlic and herbs is just fine by me! :)

April September 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

My favorite b-nut squash recipe ever is your mac and cheez, but I de-veganize mine with butter and milk. My husband never even knew it wasn’t real cheese, he thought it was a special blend of fancy cheeses!

chelsey September 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I am so sad for summer produce to be ending, but your post got me at least a bit more excited for fall! Yum!

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife September 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I must try the Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze and I also love that cute little pumpkin option! it is so adorable!

Zestful Lou September 19, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’ve been craving the butternut squash mac n cheeze ever since I made my own version last year. I love the tweaks you’ve made to your version and will be trying it out soon…just as soon as I eat up my spaghetti squash. :-)

Alexis @ Hummusapien September 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Okay so I made the first three on the list last year and they were definitely all delish. I’d have to say my favorite is the mac and cheese because I love how fast it comes together and how I can add just about anything green. I can’t wait to make emily’s chili, too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thanks for the reminder that I’ve been meaning to try those burritos! I’ve had them bookmarked for ages!

One of my favourite ways to eat butternut squash is in risotto! But I also love it just roasted with olive oil and salt. You’re definitely right that sometimes simple is better. Especially when the main ingredient is something as sweet and delicious as squash!

Lia September 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Yummm! I love butternut Squash! Great timing by the way! My roommate just came home with about 6 different kinds of squash, and I’m sure these recipes can accommodate her sudden gourd frenzy.

Rachel @ The Vegan Mishmash September 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That burrito looks filling and delicious! I’m definitely going to have to try it this fall!

sarah September 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I have an old Foodland Ontario recipe for a curry that has lentils, potatoes and peppers with butternut squash–been making it for years– always a cold weather favorite!

Kate September 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Oh my gosh I’m so excited about these recipes. I LOVE that you post these “favourites”. They always seem to coincide with what I’m craving lately =) Right it’s pumpkin and butternut squash. Thanks!!!

Tanya @ playful and hungry September 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve been craving pumpkins for weeks before they started selling them! ;)

Julia September 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’ve been in the fall mood lately and just made your lentil and squash stew this weekend! It turned out fantastically and was reminiscent of the Lebanese lentil soup my family makes, so comforting.Can’t wait to try your other butternut squash recipes.

Rivalina Primadhani September 19, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Yummy… I personally reuqest something sweet like compote.

Andrea September 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I have a yard just full of butternut squash right now (and sugar pumpkins) so I am loving these posts on both! Those recipes look delish so I’ll have to keep those in mind to make soon :) My absolute favorite way to eat butternut squash is this smoothie: http://www.edibleperspective.com/home/2010/9/23/ilovebread.html << I could have that smoothie every single day in the fall and not get tired of it! Even in the cold! :)

Ashley @ Southern Purple Vegan September 19, 2012 at 10:52 pm

All of these recipes sound so delicious! I actually don’t have a favorite or go to butternut squash recipe or meal.

Ksenija September 20, 2012 at 3:04 am

I tried butternut squash a few weeks ago (before I’ve been a hokkaido girl through and through) and I have to admit: I am totally hooked! It is so delicious and filling and amazing.
Nice that you made this post – till now I always baked it in the oven, but I will definitely try the mac’n’cheese and the stew.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 20, 2012 at 6:22 am

I love butternut squash, it is my favorite! I have one on the counter right now!!!! I think I’ll have it for dinner tonight!!! All of your recipes look amazing!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 20, 2012 at 9:23 am

By far, my favorite way to eat butternut squash is as fries!!! So good.

Rachel September 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

I love butternut squash soup… soo good :) I’m going to try your mac and cheese, that looks great!

Julia Kent September 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hi Angela,

You might really like this pasta recipe! Check it out: http://kentjulia.com/tag/butternut-squash/

Lauren September 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

In the past I’ve really enjoyed butternut squash soup, but I like it so well that just roasting cubes of it in coconut oil and salt satisifies me! I think I actually prefer it over pumpkin….(dare I say that in blog world?)….

[email protected] Not Beefy September 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’m going to try the mac ‘n cheese (but with pumpkin as that’s all I have right now). Those pumpkin bowls are beyond adorable! :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 20, 2012 at 11:44 am

I Loveee squash soup!!! I also love squash baked in the oven and risotto with squash! mm!

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Heeeeey… I’ve made that mac n’ “cheese” recipe before! ;) It’s a winner. I usually just like to eat the squash plain though. It’s so flavorful when roasted.

Heather McClees September 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Hi Angela! I LOVE these recipes! I’ll have to make the garlic roasted butternut squash ASAP! I love acorn squash the most and I’m sure it would work great in this recipe. Butternut squash is so tasty too though! I love it roasted with a little coconut oil, cinnamon and nutmeg with just a sprinkle of black pepper or even garam masala if I have it on hand. YUM:)

Thanks for sharing!!:)

Juliana September 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Made the burritos and stew…..both were amazing!

Sonal September 20, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I had never even tried butternut squash until I made the butternut squash mac n’ cheeze. Omgosh I have never gone back. I love that recipe so much and it is always such a hit! Now, I have to try the burritos :)

Kristen September 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

How convenient… I made butternut squash mac and cheese earlier this week.. and I baught double the butternut squash that I needed and today I thought… “hmm what could I make with this squash?”

Tanya @ playful and hungry September 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I love baking butternut pumpkin!
And I just got a really big one! Yummy!

Alexandra September 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Ohsheglows should be renamed ‘ohmygod’. Thank you for such delicious, healthy, wholesome recipes!

Lana @ Urban Lake September 20, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Where to start with these recipes?! I love butternut squash :) I’m definitely going to give some of these a go, the burritos look awesome and so does the mac and cheese. I thinki may have to pick up a couple tomorrow now. I sometimes add butternut squash to my chilli to bulk it out a bit and force my boyfriend to eat veggies. Mwhahaha!

Robin September 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I think you forgot one!!! My very favorite is YOUR recipe: Maple Butternut Squash and Apple Casserole. Love it!

Jenn September 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Funny you should mentioned black bean and butternut squash burritos AND Emily–I LOVE her enchiladas with the same filling! I’ll have to try your take on it with burritos.

Lisa September 21, 2012 at 8:16 am

I always crave Winter Squash Soup from Smitten Kitchen; i crave it year around! Thank you for your recipe round up.

Moni @ {Meals Meals} September 21, 2012 at 10:48 am

I agree. I absolutely love butternut squash. I remember almost all your recipes above as well too. :) yum!
I like to make butternut squash soup and throw it in Chili’s and on a side dish all the time.

Catherine September 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

As soon as I saw the title of this post, your first two recipes popped into my head immediately! Telepathy. Or, they’ve just been on my mind as squash season approaches. Your squash burritos are one of my favorite all-time dinners. And the squash mac ‘n cheese is another great one. While I love summer produce like tomatoes, berries, and nectarines, I have been missing butternut squash, which is an absolute staple of my fall and winter cooking!

Joann @ Woman in Real Life September 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You have provided some serious inspiration here. I love butternut squash too, and I have one sitting in the fridge, neglected because I am too lazy to cut it. These beautiful recipes are a kick in the butt for me! :)

Willow September 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Oh my gosh… you’ve got me craving butternut squash, bad! Such a bummer my Fiance doesn’t like squash… or sweet potato… loves pumpkins, though! Maybe I can make some of these with pumpkin instead of butternut, and see how that goes. Alas, I miss you butternut squash! We’ll have to have a sneaky affair on the side. ;P

luv what you do September 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I was just thinking about your red lentil butternut squash stew today. It was the perfect day for it. Sadly, I was at work but it will be making an appearence at my house…soon!

Jen September 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Before I came to Canada I had never heard of butternut squash and it took me 2 years before I tried it. Now i love it. My favourite dish is a Butternut Squash, Spinach and White Bean Lasagna. Even my meat-loving husband eats it!

Marcy September 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

My favorite: Butternut squash chili mac and cheese. So good.

I first made it by combining leftover chili with leftover mac and cheese.

Kendra September 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

I made a double batch of your burritos, and they are sensational! Thank you for sharing:)

Zandria September 27, 2012 at 8:48 am

The butternut mac n’ cheese looks delicious…

Lindsey September 29, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I make your mac ‘n cheeze and the burritos on a regular basis. Both recipes are so good! Tomorrow I’m going to stew!

Kim D September 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

i made the black bean and butternut squash burritos. delicious!

Donna November 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

I happened on your blog yesterday and made the red lentil and butternut squash stew for dinner last night…it was divine! Thanks for a new favorite recipe.

Kailey June 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Today I made the burritos and they were delicious! I left out the sweet onion (just don’t like onion), and ate the delicious filling with spinach, avocado, and sour cream. My family is super impressed I’m cooking something that they’ve never even heard of, thanks for the great recipe!

Renate June 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

Why didn’t I think of making butternut squash burritos?! … next on the list!

When I have the time, my favorite way to prepare butternut squash is in a pâte à choux mixture, adding boiled (mashed) squash into the dough. These are spooned onto a sheet and baked until they start to brown and are dry on the outside. The hollowed middle is sometimes a little soft, but it still holds together well and can be sliced for spreading any number of fillings. My favorite fillings are brie and chives with a few bacon bits, but it’s equally good with hummus, greens, slaw…. whatever you can think of. Great appetizers for a party.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 17, 2013 at 10:27 pm

A friend gifted me a butternut squash and left me wondering “what am i going to do with this?”. Thanks for these suggestions!

Brenda August 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I can’t find the actual recipes, just the picture. Dying to make the burrito, please help!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Brenda, its linked in the title of the recipe :)

Jessica September 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I made the garlicky roasted squash for my sister (who is very closed off to new foods, especially vegan foods!) and she couldn’t stop eating it!

Tigey October 2, 2013 at 12:11 am

I grew heirloom Waltham butternut squash organically this year and my wife used the garlicky squash recipe. The result was delicious. Thank you for your recipe.

Delia October 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Oh my gosh. You were not kidding. The Garlicky Butternut Squash was so yummy! I loved the combination of ingredients. Its a 10. :)

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014 at 2:34 am

Angela I just wanted to let you know that this post has been my favorite for the 2+ years I’ve been following you. You got me addicted to butternut squash, ha!

Heather September 17, 2014 at 5:15 am

I just harvested about 50 butternut from our garden so these recipes will all be tried, starting tonight! I love butternut and fall cooking.

Elim October 23, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Wow, thank you so much for these recipes! Was looking for what to do with my squash. ^.^ Question, how can I tell when it’s ripe?

SaritaPita March 5, 2015 at 3:46 pm

WOW – I did make a few adjustments but this recipe was absolutely off the dial delicious.

I made your “sprinkle” of sesame/almond/nutritional yeast as toppings.

I added black beans to my plate with quinoa.

My husband (who doesn’t normally like or eat butternut squash) cleaned his plate.

Thank you for all of your inspiration. It has pushed me to try (and ruin a few times) plenty of new ideas in my kitchen.

joan wilson July 23, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Hi from Belfast Northern Ireland. Just curious to know where the parmesan is in the butternut squash and kale dish? Puzzled!

Jane October 11, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I tried your Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos and they were great! I am excited to make them again, and shared it around (along with your link) to all my vegan people (my family). :D I even shared it with my non vegan friends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2017 at 11:05 am

Hey Jane, Thank you for the share! I’m so happy that the burritos were a hit with you. We love them too…especially this time of year.