How To Roast A Sugar Pumpkin & Make Fresh Pumpkin Purée – A Step-by-step Photo Tutorial

how to roast a pumpkin-4880

I unofficially deem this Sugar Pumpkin Week here on Oh She Glows. No wait, make that officially!

I’m not talking canned pumpkin this week.

I’m certainly not talking large carving pumpkins this week.

But sweet, cute-as-a-button sugar pumpkins. The ones that started showing up quite early in my grocery store at the end of August (thank you Organic Garage!). Often just 2-4 pounds, sugar pumpkins (also known as pie pumpkins or pumpkin pie squash) are sweeter than larger carving pumpkins, making them perfect for all of your favourite pumpkin dishes. Their flesh is also firmer and less stringy than carving pumpkins.

My goals for this week are to show you how simple it is to prepare a sugar pumpkin whether its roasting, puréeing, toasting the seeds, or making recipes. It’s really much easier and faster than you might think (at least it was for me!) and it’s nice to take a break from canned pumpkin once in a while. The flavour of a fresh roasted pumpkin is quite different from the canned variety; it’s a bit earthier and nuttier, not to mention so buttery when roasted. A side-by-side taste comparison of canned pumpkin versus freshly roasted pumpkin will make your head explode. It’s definitely worth the extra work now and then.

I hope my photos will inspire you to try it out for yourself if you haven’t already done so. For the pumpkin pros out there, feel free to share you favourite tips and recipes in the comments. If you can’t find a pie pumpkin in your area yet, feel free to try this with butternut squash. The roasting process is pretty much the same and the outcome is just as delicious.

All set?

how to roast a pumpkin-4915

Roasting 101:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grab small 2-3 pound sugar pumpkin(s). I like to roast a couple 2-lb. pumpkins at the same time. Remember – we’re not looking for the huge carving pumpkins here.

First things first, sharpen your knife! You don’t want to use a dull knife on any squash…or food for that matter.

2. Slice the stem off before slicing in half so you don’t have to slice through the stem.

how to make pumpkin puree-5048

I forgot to in this photo below, but it’s much easier when you remove the top! Some people prefer to slice off both ends and then peel the entire pumpkin before roasting, but I find it easier to peel the skin after roasting – much like with roasted beets.

3. Slice in half.

how to roast a pumpkin-4886 how to roast a pumpkin-4892

4. With a sharp-edged spoon (I use a metal tablespoon with a sharp edge or you can use a metal ice cream scoop), scoop out the seeds & guts. Make sure you clean & save the seeds for roasting. I’ll show you my favourite way to roast the seeds coming up in a future post. Whatever you do, do not throw them out!

how to roast a pumpkin-4895

5. Brush inside with oil (optional, but I like to) and place face down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I roasted two 1.9-lb. sugar pumpkins. They are so tiny and could all fit on my roasting pan!

how to make pumpkin puree-5051

6. Roast at 350F for about 45-50 minutes. The exact time will vary depending on the size of the pumpkin(s) and you may need more time. The skin will be slightly darker and you should be able to poke a fork quite easily through (see image below).

Here is my pumpkin ready to come out of the oven. As you can see, the skin is a deep orange, slightly wrinkled, and my fork could easily slide through.

how to make pumpkin puree-5052

6b) I could not resist sticking my fork in and tasting my first (very hot) bite. YUM!! If you want to stop here, just give it a good sprinkling of Herbamare and freshly ground black pepper. Then dig in!

how to roast a pumpkin-4914

7. Let the pumpkin cool for 10 minutes before handling. Grab a large spoon and peel away the very thin skin. It comes off almost effortlessly. At this point, you can use the flesh in all kinds of dishes – soups, casseroles, risotto, pies, etc.

Steamy!

how to make pumpkin puree-5053

Into the compost goes the skin. Unless you’re Eric, you might put it in a smoothie…(I joke, I joke).

how to make pumpkin puree-5066

Today, I decided to make pumpkin puree for a recipe I was planning (hint #1!).

8. If making a puree: Place the pumpkin flesh into the blender and blend away until super smooth. I used my tamper stick on the Vitamix to push all the pumpkin down until it got going. Let it go for a good minute or two – you don’t want any clumps left.

The result was out of this world – so smooth and buttery!

how to make pumpkin puree-5063

3.8 pounds of pumpkin (weighed before roasting) made 4-4.5 cups of pumpkin puree. Not too shabby at all! As a rule of thumb, 1 small sugar pumpkin should make enough puree to equal one 15-oz. can.

At this point you can drain the pureed pumpkin in a cheesecloth to remove excess water or you can use it as is. I didn’t bother draining it because I knew I’d be cooking it down for the recipe (hint #2!).

Whatever you do – be sure to save the seeds for roasting.

Coming up – the recipe I used my pumpkin puree for and my favourite way to roast pumpkin seeds.

What’s your favourite way to enjoy fresh pumpkin?

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 10, 2012

I don’t think I’ve ever had a sugar pumpkin! Judging by how much I started salivating over these photos I suppose I need to pick one up to roast next time I’m at the store :)

2 Sandra November 6, 2014

I agree thanks 4 sharing

3 marla September 10, 2012

I really needed to se this post because I LIVE on pumpkin this time of year. Great tutorial!

4 Christa @ Edible Balance September 10, 2012

Love love love this!! I made my own purée for the first time last week and found it ridiculously easy! No more cans for this girl. Bought another one for this week, I’m getting my fill of pumpkin before we go on vacation :)

I would have loved to see this before my first attempt but I did it just the same… I can’t wait to see what you have in that genius mind of yours ;)

5 Christa @ Edible Balance September 10, 2012

Oh, and I had no idea you could use the skins!!

6 Nora October 31, 2015

What did you use the skin for? I’ve never heard of that.

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 10, 2012

I started roasting my own last winter and was amazing and how much more delicious it was than the canned variety. I roast mine face up… I wonder if it makes a difference face down? will have to try! Also, the puree freezes really well – great way to have fresh pumpkin into the spring (if it makes it that long!).

8 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh September 10, 2012

That’s it…I’m DOING THIS! I may have enough pumpkin in the basement to make a record breaking pie but I’ve been putting this off way too long. Thanks for making it look like it’s way worth the effort. To the farmers market I goooo!

9 Kelley September 10, 2012

I love this post. And I love that the sugar pumpkins are only about 2 pounds. And thanks for showing how simple they are to roast! My boyfriend’s mother cut up a gigantic pumpkin last year and we had pumpkin cubes & puree in our freezer for a very long time. I think 15 – 30oz at a time is just right. Fresh pumpkin in smoothies, cinnamon rolls, pumpkin spice scones, whoopie pies, chili, oh the possibilities. I can’t wait for full blown fall!

10 Daniella September 10, 2012

Oh, how great! I’ve been wanting to make a spiced pumpkin bread which calls for pumpkin puree. I was going to make my own if I couldn’t find organic canned pumpkin… i’ll just do this! I guess it shouldn’t be too watery then mix… i’ll have to see how it turns out. Thanks!

11 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 10, 2012

I roast squash just like this all of the time but have never done a pumpkin! Did you know pureed pumpkin is also very good for your pets (for my dogs anyways) when they have stomach upset?? You can freeze the puree in an ice cube tray and pull out a cube to thaw when needed! I use it religiously if my pups get the scoots (sorry if that’s TMI! LOL)

I can’t wait to see what you’re going to be cooking up this week!!!

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Yes! Sketchie had a bit of a problem as a kitten and the pumpkin worked wonders. He LOVED it too.

13 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife September 10, 2012

Fun! Love all things pumpkin & can’t wait to try this! I’ve never actually made homemade pumpkin puree but I have roasted pumpkin seeds! So excited for fall!!

14 Sarah September 10, 2012

Your timing is impeccable – I was just coming online to look up “how to roast a sugar pumpkin” as I got several from my CSA this week. Luckily, I am almost as brilliant as you are, and checked here first. Thanks for being a mindreader :) Cheers.

15 Rachel September 10, 2012

I’ve never made homemade pumpkin puree, only carved pumpkins ;) haha but I do looove making my own pumpkin soup :)

16 Fiona September 10, 2012

Thank you for these types of posts, I love them! So helpful!

17 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 10, 2012

Angela what an awesome tutorial! I have read that some people say that doing it yourself is not worth the work and that canned if just as good. I’ve never roasted a whole pumpkin like this (just squash) and you make a believer out of me that this has got to be way tastier than a storebought can of pumpkin puree. Can’t wait to see what you make with it!

18 Whitney September 10, 2012

Great tutorial! I absolutely love fresh sugar pumpkin purees. It’s great to toss in chili. I usually use my crockpot to cook the pumpkin. Just chop it up, toss it in with a small bit of water and let it be for a few hours. Little effort and no need to turn on the oven

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Love that tip – I’ll have to try that sometime!

20 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 10, 2012

I always wondered how pumpkin puree was made.. I mean I knew it came from a pumpkin but I didn’t know what kind! I am pretty excited to keep my eye out for this type of pumpkin now! Thank you for sharing! I pinned it!

21 Laura September 10, 2012

Awesome guide and helpful tips, Angela! There’s nothing like the real thing. I’ve been seeing those little sugar pumpkins popping up around the markets and I’ve been super tempted. Not sure about your neck of the woods, but in my little part of southern Ontario it’s still so summery. Keeping on with the tomatoes and corn, but dreaming of roasting up some pumpkin big time over here :)

22 Eating 4 Balance September 10, 2012

I’ve made homemade pumpkin puree before and it turned out awesome. That was quite a while ago, so I think I will need to try your directions.

2 Questions: Do you have any problem in baking with homemade pumpkin puree? It always seems to come out a little thinner/watery. AND… Have you ever tried making pumpkin seed butter? If anything I think that I will buy a sugar pumpkin just to try that! The seeds at the store are so expensive. :)

23 Eating 4 Balance September 10, 2012

Man, that’s what I get for skipping over words. Never mind about the first question!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Homemade pumpkin puree does contain more water so some people like to strain it using a cheesecloth. No, I haven’t made pumpkin seed butter before – I imagine you’d have to shell each seed right?

25 Eating 4 Balance September 10, 2012

You are probably right. That doesn’t sound very fun.

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

hah sounds like a job for someone with patience (I’m probably not the best candidate!)

27 Donna November 28, 2015

pumpkin “seed” butter? you sure?

28 Darlene Tayloe January 11, 2016

Well, sure. Like peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter. Why is this surprising?

29 Allison September 10, 2012

Beautiful photos! this makes me think of fall, my favorite season of the year.

30 Lauren September 10, 2012

I’m happy to see this post and have it as a reference….pumpkins are pretty intimidating for me! Carving alone gives me the shakes, and thinking of trying to extract my own puree makes my palms sweat. My favorite way to enjoy it is simply as pumpkin pie…with whipped cream :-).

31 Christina September 10, 2012

Hi Angela! I’ve never commented on here, but have always meant to… Your recipes are amazing, and everything I’ve tried from your blog has been a huge success! (Even with my non-vegan boyfriend!) The cookie dough balls, the kale salads, the green monsters, the roasted tomato pesto…. I could go on and on! I’m so happy this is pumpkin week, because pumpkins are probably my favorite thing in the world. I had an idea (or a challenge) for you… Have you seen Dorie Greenspan’s stuffed pumpkin recipe? It is kind of a cheesy, creamy, savory bread pudding baked inside a pumpkin. I would love to see how you would do something like that with a vegan twist! ;)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Hey Christina, Thanks so much! I haven’t seen that recipe, but I will have to check it out…sounds like it would be worth an experiment or two.

33 allison September 10, 2012

to cut a squash or pumpkin easier, put it in the oven whole for 15 minutes, take out and cut…much easier on you and the knife :-)

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Interesting! Do you have to wear oven mitts when you cut it or is it not too hot yet?

35 allison September 10, 2012

not usually too hot yet and slices easily and can scoop out seeds easy. I always do my acorn squash and spaghetti squash like this.

36 Donna November 28, 2015

thank you; what I thought; lots easier!

37 Tanya @ playful and hungry September 10, 2012

I simply love everything pumpkin!

38 Samantha September 10, 2012

Wowzers! What do you think the best way to store the puree for future use is?? Canning? Freezing? And my blender is not nearly good enough to handle this (hoping santa brings us a vitamix this year) so do you think a food processor in an option?

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

I’ve heard pumpkin freezes really well.

40 Jeanette September 10, 2012

I use my food processor to puree mine. I just cut it into chunks first. I also measure it out and freeze in quantities I use for recipes. Works great!

41 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 10, 2012

It’s easy. It’s simple. Yet it’s still not as easy or simple as opening a can. ;) #lazygirl

42 Kerry September 10, 2012

I’ve wanted to make my own pumpkin puree for a long time, but for some reason the whole idea intimidated me a bit. I’m so glad to see how easy it is! I’m going to make some as soon as I use up the open can of pumpkin in my fridge. I can’t wait to see the recipe you made with this!

43 Moni Meals September 10, 2012

This is awesome Ang! I tried this for the first time last Fall. I actually like the skin if I can get away with it, is that weird?! :)

Great post (as always, you do such a nice job for us!) and I am a huge Fall lover and Pumpkin Fan. Let the games begin! Muhaha. ;)

44 Marieke September 10, 2012

I just bought some sugar pumpkins and was curious on how to do this – Thank you!!

45 Stefanie September 10, 2012

I love using this method for making large quantities of pumpkin soup.

In Switzerland, we are only allowed to put raw vegetables and fruit on the compost, nothing cooked. It may be different in Canada, I assume.

46 Emily @ Greens, Eggs, & Hamstrings September 10, 2012

I first learned how to do this when we moved to Ireland and discovered there is no canned pumpkin here. I stocked up on pumpkins at Halloween and roasted 5 or 6 – we had a tupperware full of pumpkin in the freezer that lasted for the whole year!

47 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 10, 2012

In pancakes of course! Or overnight oats….it’s a toss up! (Or pumpkin mac and cheese….) no wait a smoothie..clearly I’m a an addict :)

48 Alexandra September 10, 2012

So happy you are posting pumpkin things! This was the first weekend I began to crave pumpkin :) pumpkin-everything here I come!!

49 JenATX September 10, 2012

wow angela, your photos are awesome. I love the dark background. you can really tell you put a lot of effort into these!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Aw thank you Jen! I’m really loving the darker/moodier photos lately. :)

51 Ama September 10, 2012

Angela, great post. I do it slightly differently, courtesy of my dad’s traditional pumpkin-roasting techniques. I stick the knife in and make a bunch of slits around the stem and then just pop out the top- I don’t loose as much precious flesh that way as cutting off the whole top! But I will add a caveat, my husband does it for me now because it is kinda hard and dangerous for impatient (weak-armed) people like me. But hurrah for the tip from another reader about sticking the whole thing in the oven for a few to soften before cutting- maybe I’ll preheat the oven with the pumpkin in there! Thanks!

Also I put mine upside-down in a glass baking dish with a 1/2 inch or so of water. This steams it gently as it’s roasting and dramatically cuts down on cooking time. Then when I take them out of the oven, I immediately move them to drain on the cutting board (watch out, boiling water!). Not sure if this makes them more watery; I’ll have to try your way and taste test. But mine is always super flavorful and btw, Averie darling (love your blog too), canned pumpkin can’t hold a candle to fresh!!! Try it, you’ll never look back.

I’m GF, and GF pie crusts are way too time-consuming for my pie-a-day addiction every fall, so I took to making crustless pies in a lightly oiled pie pan. Then I decided I needed to make smaller portions so I wouldn’t eat it in one sitting, so I started making individual ramekins of pie. Then I upped the egg replacer and spices and used coconut milk and basically turned it into pumpkin custard! Aah I can’t wait! I also can’t wait for my 7 month old to try pumpkin; his first food was pattypan squash and he loved it! Also eating my weight in pumpkins when I was pregnant might have something to do with it. ;)

Tip for pies: add grated fresh ginger when blending the filling!! Yum. Also a bit of molasses is a must.

Look forward to pumpkin week!!!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Love your comments Ama- thanks for sharing your tips! I tried the water in the pan method and you are right it does cut down on roasting time. I actually prefer the dry roasting method because – I found the boiling water really scary and difficult to handle when taking out of the pan. I was trying to remove one half and the pumpkin suctioned itself to the pan. Probably a freak thing, but I was worried I was going to get burned by the water. I’m sure if I used a deeper roasting pan, it would have been much more successful though! ;)
Fresh ginger in a pie sounds to die for!! I’ll try that with my pumpkin recipe this Thanksgiving. Thanks!

53 Diana boles July 28, 2013

Please please please——tell me the best egg replacer as I am Vegan && GF. I seem to turn everything into pudding. Except my Spucy Ginger Bread cookies. But haven’t any need for eggs or a substitute

54 jan click November 20, 2015

I used tofu to replace eggs. It comes in 3 consistencies. It’s in the fresh grocery area. Cakes are great!

55 Ama September 10, 2012

Sorry I’m such a long-winded poster. Haha. But one more thing: if you’ve never tried those beautiful white pumpkins (the kind that actually grow that way, not painted haha), they are even more buttery and delicate in things like pies! The flesh is yellowish, not too orange. Great for people that don’t like too strong of a pumpkin flavor; they’re very sweet and light! Get one!

56 Di September 10, 2012

Confession – I’ve never roasted/baked or cooked any squash! Unless zucchini counts? I don’t think it does though! Anyway, thanks for the tips and pics! Definitely going to try this!!!

57 Isabelle September 10, 2012

Thanks for posting this Angela, Love pumpkin (and pumpkin pie) so I’ll be on the lookout for the sugar pumpkins.
Healthy Top vegan cream substitute is perfect to replace the cream in pumpkin pie or any other dessert ;)

Have you tried that? yummy?

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2012

Hey there, I havent tried that, but I have made a cream sauce using soaked almonds that turned out lovely. There are all kinds of recipes online if you are looking to make a batch yourself. Goodluck!

59 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 10, 2012

Wow I haven’t had roasted pumpkin since I studied abroad in Australia! I had never had roasted pumpkin before that and I don’t think I’ve had it since. My favorite pumpkin treat is pumpkin pie. It’s a classic and I haven’t found anything that compares…ok maybe the pumpkin cream cheese muffins at Starbucks. If I had a recipe for vegan versions of that muffin I think I might explode with happiness :)

60 Elly September 10, 2012

What a cute pumpkin – I would stuff it! Cut the top off, scrape out the seeds etc, then stuff with a vegetable, herb, quinoa and nut stuffing (I change what I put in every time, depending on what I have available), pop the top back on and bake. Serve with green beans or a salad. It looks impressive enough to serve at a dinner party too!

61 allison September 10, 2012

ok stop! you had me at Quinoa! I’m so going to do this!!!!!

62 Katie @ Fun Fearful Female September 10, 2012

I’ve always thought using fresh pumpkin was too tedious, but this tutorial makes it look really approachable. I think I’ll surprise my husband this fall by actually cooking the small pumpkins that arrive in our CSA box rather than just displaying them. Thanks for the great info!

63 Julia September 10, 2012

This is great! I also love pumpkin but haven’t actually roasted a whole one before…it seems a lot like the butternut squash routine :)

64 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 10, 2012

Great tutorial Ange! I saw the small sugar pumpkins this weekend at Whole Foods and was so tempted to buy one. I love scooping out the flesh and using them as a bowl for chili. I cook the chilli on the stove as normal, and roast the pumpkin (with the top and stem sliced off and hollowed out) while that’s happening. Then I fill the pumpkin with chili like a bowl, roast it a few more mins, then eat. It’s so, so good!!

65 Sara Nickel September 10, 2012

Still waiting and hoping these little gems arrive in Kansas! We were hit pretty hard with the drought this year, but you never know! I adore sugar pumpkins. They are the best for soups, purees, and anything involving pumpkin out of the can. Thanks for the tutorial:)

66 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 10, 2012

Thanks for the tutorial! I definitely want to try this because I don’t think I’ve ever tried real fresh pumpkin before. I love the canned kind though! But actually according to owner of the farm where I worked last summer, a lot of the time canned pumpkin isn’t even real pumpkin – it’s actually made from some kind of squash!

67 Adrienne J September 10, 2012

I love your photos in this post! The dark black/brown background contrasts so well with the bright pumpkins. I have too many favorite ways to enjoy pumpkin but your smoothie is on my list to try!

68 Laura September 10, 2012

Where are you finding these pumpkins?? I know you’re near me…and the burlington mall market is seriously lacking in squash of any kinds so far….Can you help a girl out who is desperate for pumpkins in her brekkie (and butternut squash mac n cheeze)?

69 Linda September 10, 2012

My absolutely favoritest favorite way to enjoy a sugar pumpkin is stuffed with apples, walnuts, cinnamon and a tiny bit of butter and baked. When it is done baking, you scoop the stuffing and meat of the pumpkin out and mash it all together. It’s sweet from the apples, crunchy from the nuts and buttery smooth.

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2012

sounds incredible!

71 Katie September 11, 2012

I love roasting pumpkins at home! Don’t forget that those larger carving pumpkins are food too – I always roast my carving pumpkins. I get all soap boxey about this every year because I hate seeing so much food go to waste, and I always try to ‘rescue’ as many carving pumpkins as I can get my hands on. I roast ’em, puree the flesh, and freeze it in 1 cup portions for using in baking and smoothies throughout the year.

72 Ksenija September 11, 2012

Great tutorial! I always make my own pumpkin puree since you cannot buy it in stores here in Germany. But I actually always cooked it up portion sized – just as much as I needed and never tried to bake the whole thing. I am afraid that it spoils to fast. Do you know how long you can keep pumpkin puree in the fridge?

73 Ama September 11, 2012

Not sure about the fridge, but have you tried freezing it? I don’t freeze purée, but I cook it like Angela says then cut off the skin and cube the pumpkin and freeze the cubes in bags after I suck the air out with a straw. That’s my tip for vacuum-sealing your freezer bags so your produce doesn’t get all icy! I freeze in one-cup servings in each bag so I just take out one bag or whatever I need and let it come to room temp before pureeing. I’m sure you can freeze purée too, that’s just what I do since sometimes I cook with chunks too. Try it!!

74 Ksenija September 12, 2012

Thanks for the hint :) gonna try this next time!

75 Lori Rix September 11, 2012

I made pumpkin pie this way last year. Never from a can again!!

76 LizforaDay September 11, 2012

That is so simple. Thanks for the recipe. :)

77 Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy September 11, 2012

Thanks for the tutorial!

78 Brittany @ twosaucysisters September 11, 2012

Julie and I are so excited that pumpkin season is here! We usually use the canned stuff, because we’ve had trouble finding sugar pumpkins in our local grocery store in the past, but this post has given us renewed motivation to track them down!

79 Sonal September 11, 2012

Yummm! Nothing welcomes autumn like a good pumpkin dish! :) Thanks for the tutorial, we don’t get canned pumpkin over here so this will be a good way to make all the dishes that require pumpkin :)

80 sondra September 11, 2012

This came at a great time as I have about 2 dozen sugar pumpkins in the garden ready for harvest! Thanks. =)

81 Michele Sparrow September 11, 2012

I love this post. It is so simple and here I have been so intimated that I never even looked into it before! Thank you for posting this, Angela and I can’t wait to see your next recipe using the pumpkin puree! :-)

82 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 11, 2012

Wow- that puree looks so beautiful and buttery- I could eat it up with a spoon!
And THAT is probably my favorite way to enjoy fresh pumpkin. :)

83 Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z September 11, 2012

wow. It looks easy. I would never have thought to make my own, but it’s so much healthier than the canned versions. Who knows what chemicals are lurking in the cans anymore!!!

84 Lori @ Forkful of Freedom September 11, 2012

What a helful post! Thanks for including all the photos. I will have to try this out once the weather cools down.

85 Ariel September 11, 2012

These photos are really attractive — the dark background highlights the pumpkin (without being to “spooky”). I like to add pumpkin puree to chilis — just a 1/2 cup seems to add a real depth to the flavors.

86 Andrea September 11, 2012

Sugar pumpkin week?! I’m alll in for that one. My yard is packed with sugar pumpkins right now… my plants went wild!

87 sarah September 11, 2012

Hey Angela,
I am jealous because I am reading this after just baking 2 loaves of pumpkin bread using canned pumpkin. It was an emergency craving! Next time I will def try your method and maybe try freezing some…
On an unrelated note, I was at a Costco today in Kitchener and they were demoing Vitamix’s. I was swooning over them and listening to the saleslady as she made lots of veg and vegan samples–that I could actually try. She was talking to the crowd about recipes and said there are lots of great food blogs that use them daily. She asked me if I’d ever heard of Oh She Glows! I said ‘why of course! I follow her every post!’ hehe. So just thought I ‘d let you know you got some good advertising today!!!

88 Kelly September 11, 2012

I left a comment yesterday that appeared to disappear into the interweb-nothingness…
Here in Australia we don’t get pumpkin in a can, it’s always do-it-yourself :)
If I want pumpkin puree I would slice then cut the skin off the pumpkin once it’s in smaller more manageable pieces, then just steam or boil, drain and puree – it’s quicker than roasting, and can be kept in small portions in the freezer quite well.
For roasting, I also slice into chunks first (and cut the skin off if the pieces are destined for being mixed into something like risotto), coat with olive oil and chopped herbs (rosemary or marjoram are good, or nutmeg – again, depends on the end destination), and roast so that the individual pieces each get a nice roasty edge. Delish!

89 Kelly September 11, 2012

P.S. I love my “P alliteration” risotto – pieces of pumpkin roasted with flat-leaf parsley, and green peas mixed in to risotto, served with a handful of pine-nuts and some “parmesan” on top, and an extra piece of parsley as garnish to make it look fancy!

90 Heather September 12, 2012

Can’t wait to try this! Can you freeze it by any chance? How long do you think it can stay?

91 nikki September 13, 2012

I don’t know if anyone else has mentioned this (I just don’t have time to read through all the comments right now), but I roast my pie pumpkins whole. Just wash it, prick it with fork, and stick the whole thing in the oven. When it’s done, I slice it open, remove the strings and seeds, and just spoon out the flesh!

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2012

I was wondering if that was an option! Glad to know it works. Is it easier to remove the “guts” doing it that way too? How long do you roast it for?

93 Rachel @ The Vegan Mishmash September 13, 2012

This is perfect! I’ve been dreaming about the pumpkin curry recipe in The Vegan Table, but I wanted to do it with freshly pureed pumpkin. Thanks so much!!!

94 Riley September 15, 2012

what if i dont have an oven :(? how could i cook this ?? steaming it ? :)

95 Kim September 16, 2012

PUMPKIN SKINS RECIPE….

Begin with a preheated oven set at 325 degrees F
One medium size pumpkin (baking kind or even the ornamental jack-o-lantern kind which is what I use)
2 Tbls butter
3 Tbls salt
1/4 cup molasses or honey
2 Tbls cinnamon
1 tsp each of nutmeg, ginger, cloves
1/2 tbs cayenne (optional)

Halve the pumpkin cutting off the stem, then scoop out the seeds. (Save these seeds for roasting later.) Place the pumpkin shell-side-up on a baking sheet with a few spoonfuls of water. Bake at 325 for an hour, checking to make sure the top on the shell is not burning on the upper electrical element. Remove the shell and scrape out most but not all of the cooked pumpkin to use in muffins, pies and such. Leave about a 1/4 to 12 inch of pumpkin meat on the skin. Slice the skin into strips about 1 inch wide from the top to bottom along the natural lines in shell. Lay them flat, and then spread the butter and spices evenly.

Return the strips to the oven for 2 hours at a very low baking temperature of 150. Remove and enjoy them hot or store in the refrigerator and use as a side dish or appetizer

96 Kim September 16, 2012

Oh and I use almond butter for the skins and its really yummy!

97 Manon September 19, 2012

thanks for the recipe. Tried it yesterday and I loved it. Now i only need to figure out what to do with it ;) I guess I’ll try your pumpkin butter

98 kristle October 6, 2012

i must have gotten the wrong kind of pumpkin :( its almost 3 lbs and thought it was a sugar pumpkin, but me or my boyfriend can NOT cut through it. oh well, next week at the farmers market i will ask for a sugar pumpkin specifically.

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2012

aw I’m sorry to hear that! They can be tricky. I hope you have better luck next time :)

100 Sara October 10, 2012

So I was thinking this morning that if you, Angela, were to create a pumpkin spice latte, I would melt! I don’t care what the agonizing process and preparations would have to be, but I can’t handle spending so much on pumpkin spice soy lattes… Oh my god, and with coconut whip cream… I’m so glad there are other pumpkin-obsessed people out there!

101 veganexplosion October 11, 2012

yay! i absolutely will be using this tutorial! thank you.

102 Nikki @ Road To Less Cake October 24, 2012

Thanks for the tutorial!

I can’t get canned pumpkin here in the UK at a good price.

I may have to try doing it myself now!

103 Kathleen October 31, 2012

I am curiuos if you can use the puree to turn in to a pumpkin Powder or a pumpkin flour rather? And how would you go about doing this, it the process different?

Thank you!

kathleen

104 Zarina Din November 1, 2012

I agree with one of your commentators that it is a great tutorial. I had tasted the pumpkin butter from Trader’s Joe which gives me an idea about the ingredients but not the complete recipe. So, your tutorial is a good tip.

105 Barbara November 2, 2012

Pumpkin bread I used my pupree for. But looking for a soup recipe for pumpkin.

106 Rick Kohut November 8, 2012

Great way to show how easy it is to roast these little guffers! You are always makin’ things easier for people. Nice work and thanks for this!

107 Lisa November 8, 2012

My husband and I process quite a few pumpkins every year after Halloween. The local pumpkin patch gives us all we want every November 1st. A lot of them go to the cows next door, but about 15-20 big pumpkins end up on my porch to stare at me every time I pass by. When we get around to processing them, it’s an all day long ordeal that is completely worth it to have pumpkin puree year round. My husband chops the pumpkins up with a meat cleaver then scrapes out the seeds and stringy stuff. He then boils the pieces in our turkey cooker. All this is done outside which makes me very happy. When the pumpkin is soft, he drains the pot and brings me the bounty. I scrape the flesh from the skins, blend it in my food processer until smooth, and store it in freezer bags until I’m ready to use it. We love pumpkin soup, muffins, bread, smoothies, etc. My next endeavor is trying my hand at pumpkin butter. Wish me luck.

108 Renée November 8, 2012

This is a great tutorial!! Wonderful pictures too (I have got to learn how to take better pictures). I just posted a recipe tutorial for Homemade Pumpkin Butter, and linked this. Thanks you for taking the time to do this!

109 Maria November 12, 2012

Great instructions–my pumpkin is in the oven right now!
Beauty tip: While the pumpkin is baking, you can rub some raw pumpkin juice on your face to do a homemade pumpkin enzyme mask! Leave on 15ish minutes (or while you’re cleaning the seeds) and your skin will be smoother and glow more, promise. It’s a great way to use ALL the pumpkin parts. :)

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2012

Ah that’s so cool! I will have to try it.

111 Lisa Danhi November 16, 2012

I’m making spiced pumpkin curry soup with coconut milk right now…but I think the roasted seeds I enjoyed with cayenne and garlic last week may be my favorite treat so far!

112 Heather November 17, 2012

I actually find that the week after Halloween is a great time to pick up pie pumpkins, as it seems most people don’t know what to do with pumpkins beyond carving. I got a bunch of them (about 3 pounds each) last week for 49 cents each. I roast them all up, process the seeds while they roast, harvest the pumpkin, roast the seeds, and cook down all the flesh to make veggie stock (it’s super great in buffalo chicken soup). I freeze whatever pumpkin I’m not going to immediately use and use throughout the year for pie, soup, muffins, pancakes, french toast,etc.

113 Diana boles July 28, 2013

Ok! I know I am a year behind, but in searching for ideas on how to make Pumpkin Butter I stumbled upon this awesome place! I can guarantee that I will start as soon as ome of my grocers has the Sugar Babies in the store. Signed, Pumpka-holic

114 Liza September 13, 2013

how is the best way to freeze the pumpkin puree? I mean should I put it in a freezer bag or a glass container? And how much would you freeze in a puree batch to be useful later for soups? I have my pumpkin baking now but then wonder what to do with because it’s still just a tad bit hot here and not quite ready for soups yet. Great recipe!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2013

Hey Liza, I’ve heard of people freezing the puree in ice cube trays then pop it out and place in baggies or containers.

116 Anne Marie September 26, 2013

I like to hollow out the pumpkin and stuff it with meat stuffing. You could also use rice and beans or use your imagination.

117 ohthip October 7, 2013

Every since I’ve started visiting this site I have been doing away with a lot of processed foods. Now I actually think this can be a lifestyle change I can keep. Thank you. Plus everything is so simple I love it!! KISS in everything in life is great.

118 jean October 11, 2013

I read somewhere that you can not can pumpkin . is that so ? I am making pumpkin butter and want to can it.

119 clinton ferrara October 13, 2013

we love pumpkin curry soup. it is a thai dish. thanks for your recipes. they are dreat.

120 casey October 14, 2013

I just made this purée to make pumpkin bread. It was a great help because I am usually pretty awkward in the kitchen. My 3 year old helped (he put the oil on,which to him was just like painting). I am so glad I stumbled upon your website and will be checking back for more help I’m sure!!

121 Tina Dickerson October 20, 2013

My Alaskan friend also said that you should use the pumpkin when it is more yellow than orange cause once the color changes there tends to be a bitterness to the flavor. The Sugar Pumpkins are generally 2-4 pounds each and come early in the season like the end of August

122 Lisa October 22, 2013

I think sugar pumpkins are good. I do like Sunshine pumpkins better. I recommend trying
many different types. I am trying to find Cinderella pumpkins, just cause they sound fun.
Area chefs recommended the Sunshine pumpkin. I found a blue pumpkin and was fun.

123 Anita October 24, 2013

Thank you for the detailed step-by-step, with pictures! Very helpful.

124 Sandi October 24, 2013

I grew three beautiful pumpkins this year, which I roasted whole in the oven for an hour. Then, because I was in a hurry, I scooped the flesh and seeds into the vitamix and pureed the works. I froze most of it into individual use containers, and the next day made a pot of soup with the rest. I was afraid that leaving the seeds in the puree might spoil the flavor, but it really didn’t. It tastes richer, but still good.. If I have more time next time, I’ll keep the seeds and roast them separately since I do love them that way.
Love your site: the inspiring ideas, great recipes and beautiful pictures.

125 Patricia Deimler October 25, 2013

would a goose neck pumpkin work

126 carag October 27, 2013

are you cooking your stuffing before putting it into the pumpkin? and is there a way to compensate for the extra water in the pumpkin when using the cooked pumpkin or is it best to strain it?

can you point me to a good pumpkin cake to use this puree?

so many questions- thanks for the tut

127 Teina Lucas October 30, 2013

I’d just like to add that it is these sweet sugar pumpkins make fabulous juice! Half a pumpkin (pulp), 1 apple, 1 pear, 4-5 carrots = Ambrosia. Top off with a little ground cinnamon! Yum!

128 Maureen November 2, 2013

What a great tutorial. I have always wanted to to do this and wasn’t sure how. Now this makes me want to go out and get a pumpkin and do this. You have a very nice website and even though I am not vegan, I like a lot of your recipes. Thanks!

129 erna November 4, 2013

Will try roasting pumpkin seeds, too good to waste. My method of cooking pumpkin for use in pies orr muffins is to wash the pumpkin well, DONOT PEEL, cut into pieces while leaving out the seeds & stringy pulp.Cook till tender & put put through the blender & the outer rind is combined with pulp, Less waste & hopefully more nourishment

130 V. Hoegler November 4, 2013

Thanks! I have used Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Filling for years! This is the first time I am attempting to make pumpkin pie from scratch. I obtained a recipe from Just A Pinch for how to make pumpkin pie using “roasted pumpkin”. I had no idea the proper technique for acquiring “roasted pumpkin”, hence this internet search! I always look forward to roasting pumpkin seeds from the pumpkin my daughter cuts up, which I have already done! Happy Thanksgiving!

131 Joan November 10, 2013

I just cooked my first sugar pumpkin by peeling the skin and cutting into small wedges then roasting it in the oven with some butternut squash . Olive oil , salt and a little chilli powder. It was delicious ! I roasted the pumpkin seeds as you described and sprinkled a few on top when I served it ;)

132 Craig November 16, 2013

Thanks, I roasted pie pumpkins the other day, and the pumpkin taste was not what I expected. It was good, but not real pumpkinie. My guess is that they did not get a chance to caramelize enough. I attempted to fire roast them, and my heat was not where I needed, and I did not roast them long enough.

133 Jennifer November 18, 2013

Great blog with beautiful pictures. I have to tell you though I’ve been roasting pumpkins for years and I have just recently started roasting them whole. Just clean well, put on a pan and roast for 1.5 hours at 350 depending on size. Let cool enough to handle and slice, take out seeds and peel. It’s super easy, and to your other blog post on roasting seeds – it is much easier to separate the seeds from strings and you don’t have to boil them before you roast!

134 arviened November 18, 2013

We use an electric knife to cut ours and it works like a charm. I also use a pressure cooker to cook the pumpkin. Cut it in fourths and place in the bottom on the rack, put about an inch of water in the pan and pressure at 10 lbs for ABOUT 5 MINUTES. The pumpkin slides off the skin. We then can ours for later use.

I really enjoyed reading all the comments.

135 Cardiff Moon November 27, 2013

It is the day before Thanksgiving and in my October Organic Food Delivery I received 3 sugar pumpkins! Thanks to you, they are roasting right now! Going to make a pumpkin pie and salted caramel pumpkin squares! I will let you know how they turn out!

136 Desiree C November 27, 2013

I have a 36 lbs fairytale!! SO THANK YOU FOR THIS!

137 MoMo December 1, 2013

Excellent post! I was looking for written directions for a friend and your blog explained the sugar pie pumpkin phenomenon beautifully! I have been using homemade sugar pie pumpkin puree in my baking and soups for the past 4 years and would only use canned pumpkin during a zombie apocalypse. And yes, my head has exploded several times! LOL

138 Sarah B December 10, 2013

I grew sugar pumpkins this year and I have been saving them to roast…thank you for this tutorial…this is my plan today, as the children are home from school because of snow, and because I am imagining pumpkin soup (made with pure turkey broth). Where is your pumpkin seed tutorial? I may have to do that tomorrow!

139 teri December 15, 2013

I’m glad to know how to successfully roast pumpkin seeds. Thanks for the great post!

Some extra tips:
If your fresh sugar pumpkin is hard to cut, put it in the microwave for two minutes, after knocking off the stem. It will cut easily.

I cut my pumpkin in half. The easiest way to separate the seeds is to pull them out with your fingers, BEFORE scraping the strings out. Much less messy.

This summer I grew sugar pumpkins in with my flowers. They crawled all over my perennials, but the flowers didn’t seem to mind and it was always fun to see where the pumpkins ended up. We had a great little crop!

140 Conni Partridge June 27, 2014

Sugar pumpkins are great stuffed! I brown a half pound of small bite-sized pork, small strips of beef or cuts of chicken. Stove top stuffing of your choice can be prepared according to the box then mix the sauteed meat into the stuffing mixture. Cut the top off your sugar pumpkin the way you would make a lid for a Jack-o-lantern; don’t cut a face! Clean out and save the seeds. Stuff the sugar pumpkin with your stove-top mixture, replace the “lid” and bake at 350 degrees 45-50 minutes. When serving, allow guests to dig deep and wide to scoop some pumpkin along with the stuffing. Deliscrumptious!

141 Cathy Hoyer September 1, 2014

Is the pumpkin purée you make what you would use for pie?

142 Michelle September 5, 2014

Just thought I would chime in with the addition that it is just fine to use the pumpkin you carved for this. Unless you are a pumpkin gourmet (I’m sure they’re out there!), you will not notice a difference in taste between the sugar pumpkin and the carving pumpkin when you taste it in your recipe. My pumpkin pies always get two thumbs up and I use the same pumpkin I carved. Don’t waste more money by buying the little pie pumpkins. If you’ve already got several carving pumpkins just use those instead and you will be very pleased with the results.

143 Cheryl September 24, 2014

I was so excited to find this post. I have never used fresh pumpkin before. I have two roasting as I write this now. Going to be used for a homemade pumpkin crisp for my grand-daughters 3rd Birthday. I just love any kind of dessert made with pumpkin!

144 Jennifer October 3, 2014

Thank you for your great pumpkin recipes! This is the first year I’ve cooked a whole pumpkin and I followed your instructions for the seeds and all. Everything has turned out perfect. I’ve actually done it twice this year and it’s only Oct 2nd! The seeds are so good! My kids and I just eat them off the pan and try to save some for the hubs but it’s hard! I have made tons of great pumpkin dishes and still have some purée left. I know I’ll be doing more b/c I have to have more seeds if nothing else!!! Thanks again!

145 Vivian October 11, 2014

i roasted the pumpkin yesterday came out perfect just like your recipe today I am making pumpkin pies soo good thank you (vivian)

146 opal hari October 15, 2014

I want to roast a pumpkin that I bought. I will try to roast it at 350 degrees. I shall scrape out the seeds and strings after roasting. Let it drain until dry. I will make a pumpkin custard pie. I also want to know if I can freeze two cups of pumpkin in a plastic container for later use for making pumpkin pies? I have a hugh pumpkin (crook neck pumpkin) and I shall have a lot left to make pies.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Opal Hari

147 Claudia October 16, 2014

Question! I would like to use my vita-mix too but would like to know what speed you use. I would be afraid I would get pumpkin juice! Thanks

148 lori_vt October 18, 2014

Curious – have you ever used the skin for anything? When I roast butternut squash, I usually puree the skin with the flesh and it works beautifully. Perhaps pumpkin skin is a little tougher. Last week I actually boiled a sugar pumpkin and pureed skin and all (I add to my dog and cat’s food, and either roast the seeds or feed them to my chickens). I am going to try the roasting method this weekend – then onto pumpkin butter :) Great tutorial – thanks!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 21, 2014

I often eat the skin when I roast the pumpkin (I will chop it up and roast it) it’s pretty good!

150 Soleil October 21, 2014

It does taste good my family loves it

151 Sharon October 25, 2014

Hi, Angela. I just found your site today as I was searching for pumpkin recipes. I wanted to offer my own suggestions as roasting pumpkins for the purée for use in autumn cooking is an annual rite of passage for me. My method is to dice the pumpkin into about one inch pieces. I Then spread the pieces on a rimmed baking sheet, lined with tin foil coated with non stick spray. Roasting in a 350 oven only takes about 30 minutes. When it is done, I put the pumpkin pieces skin on into a food mill instead of a food processor or blender. The food mill does a wonderful job of separating out the fibrous parts from the purée and yes, some of the skin finds its way through as little bits of orange, but I like this. Afterward, I put the purée into a non stick stock pot and on very low heat, I cook down the purée to remove some more moisture and further concentrate the flavor of the pumpkin (this step would only be done, depending on what I was using the puree for). I also will measure out one cup portions of purée and seal in freezer bags as it will keep for one year in the freezer so I always have plenty of fresh pumpkin on hand after the season is over and I never have to resort to canned!

152 Marjorie October 26, 2014

Just thought I would add how wonderful the sugar pumpkins are for stuffing which is what I just did with mine. This was the first year I found the sugar pumpkins locally and much more flavorful and satisfying than the small carved pumpkin I used last year. You can stuff them with any mixture you like.

153 Violet October 27, 2014

Shared this to our Facebook page… currently have my sugar pumpkin roasting in the oven. Thank you for a great post!

154 gracelynn November 11, 2014

Well im starting right now :) I already skinned and cut in cubes… so im going to put wet pumpkin, putting on A foiled large cookie sheet. And then It will cook it a
lot faster. Putting foil on it will make it steam.

155 Kellie D . Bott November 17, 2014

This is AWESOME.
I like to Stuff the Sugar Pie Pumpkin with all types of Fruits, Apples, Cranberries(fresh & dried), Raisins, Rubarb, ect. I Saute the Fruit with a little Brown Sugar, Stevia, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Butter and Dark Rum. I Roast the Pumpkin a little bit first so that the filling doesn’t over cook. I roast the pumpkin cut side down for about 15 to 20 minutes at 300°, let cool down for about 10 minutes then stuff with filling. Bake until slightly soft 25 minutes or so at 350°.

156 Davey November 22, 2014

Thanks for the instructions! I always forget temperature and time. Making pumpkin agnolotti from epicurious – an awesome use of fresh pumpkin purée, and an awesome vegetarian dish! (Although we often top with cripy prosciutto and some shredded duck, for non-vegetarian family members).

157 eMILY April 29, 2015

If you can find them in your area, use blue hubbard squash. It makes the best “pumpkin” pie and keeps very well, uncooked, on the counter for months or roasted and pureed in the freezer. They are a marquis shaped blue green winter squash that looks nearly gray. You can roast and puree them using this technique. They are the best!

158 Jerrie Legree August 7, 2015

I am growing sugar pumkins this year. I have 2 good sized ones just starting to turn orange…and a few smaller ones. I will be sure to use your method to roast them for pies! Yum!

159 June August 24, 2015

I purchased heirloom seeds for Long Pie Pumpkin; they look like long, fat, zucchini. They roasted up in ~35 minutes. Instead of peeling the skin, I just scooped out the pumpkin.

160 Paul August 26, 2015

I grow them every year and give them away going to keep some now .
Wow and all you girls who like pumpkins are beautiful too lol :)

161 WhatsUpMomsOfficial September 16, 2015

Hey! Great recipe :). I cannot WAIT for the Pumpkin Season. Pumpkin seeds and purée, here I come!

162 Paula September 24, 2015

Thanks so much for sharing! Just need something cleared up, to make the puree you add the skin and the stuff you spooned out??

Thanks,
Paula

163 jean September 29, 2015

As Julia Child taught us, every kitchen should have a small rawhide mallet to whack your high quality chef’s knife through. For use on hard squash, whole chicken, etc.
I grew the Johnny’s Cinnamon Girl Pie Pumpkin, and it needed no blending at all to produce a creamy pie.

164 Deb October 10, 2015

Good trick for getting your pumpkin split in half for roasting is to poke a couple small knife wholes into it then wet it and put it in your microwave. Nuke for one to two minutes and the husk will be soft enough to slice open with your knife. I still roast after that because I like the roasted flavor more than microwaved. I guess if you live in a land with sharp knives the nuking step is unnecessary but in my kitchen it is a great time saver!

165 เสื้อโปโล October 16, 2015

Now I am going to do my breakfast, once having my breakfast
coming again to read other news.

166 Carolyn Fortuna October 18, 2015

Thanks for this recipe on how to roast a pumpkin! It was so easy to follow. Now I continue my pursuit of extending the season with local vegetables, thanks to you.

167 Jacquelyn October 18, 2015

Thanks so much for these instructions, they we’re perfect and so easy to follow. I roasted up 2 cute little sugar pumpkins tonight and it was SO easy. I actually rubbed the insides of the pumpkin with a bit of coconut oil. I will say that cutting off the top of the pumpkin is a bit difficult, I had to use all of my muscle! ;) xoxo, Jacquelyn

168 Jenifer October 19, 2015

I’m new to this whole baking a pie pumpkin thing. I was wondering if I could store the puree in a sealed mason jar and at what room temperature? I would love to be able to have pumpkin puree on hand during the seasons that they pumpkins are NOT in season….if that makes sense? What is the best way to go about saving the pumpkin puree? I’m sure you could freeze it also, but I worry about freezer burn. Any advice you could give, would be much appreciated. Thank you for sharing this tutorial with beginners like me, I believe FRESH is best in pretty much everything if time allows.

169 Susan November 2, 2015

Thanks for this tutorial and the one on roasting pumpkin seeds. I have the clean seeds from our 4 jack-o-lanterns ready to go in the fridge, but having ruined pumpkin seeds time after time, I hadn’t much enthusiasm for another try! I’ve also got a cute little pie pumpkin sitting on the counter, waiting to be put to good use. I think I’m going to have some fun in the kitchen today!

Here are my tips: when I cleaned off the seeds this time, I put the whole mess of gunk into a big bowl, filled it with water, and skimmed the floating seeds off with a slotted spoon. I wanted them really clean as they had been sitting in their gunk for a couple of days, so I repeated the rinse-and-skim process a couple more times. Had I known I’d be boiling them, I wouldn’t have been so nutty about it, but it was really quick in any case – the easiest method I have ever tried.

To open up a squash or pumpkin, I use the safety knife that came with my pumpkin carving kit, and scoop out the seeds with the kit’s scooper. It’s so-o much easier than using a knife and a spoon!

OK, now, I think there is a pumpkin butter recipe here I need to check out…. :-D

170 Cam Flower November 7, 2015

I was at my son’s inlaws a couple years ago for thanksgiving and one of her dishes was a baked whole pumpkin! it was absolutely delisioius! Does anyone know a recepie for a baked pumpkin to serve whole? It was flavorful, slightly spicy and so very , very good. WE devoured the entire thing but the skin! the smell was amazing and watching it bake as the juices oozed thru the skin and carmalized on the outside was awsome. we kept peeking at it – just to let the smell fill the kitchen! I just wish I could find a recepie to do one myself. I dont want to roast it to use in somethine else, I just want to bake a pumpkin and eat it!

171 Jennifer Inskip November 8, 2015

Hi Angela,
I just made this roasted pumpkin puree recipe – its great! My son Sam and I used it to make GF pumpkin bread for breakfast tomorrow. I can smell it cooling while I write this. All that to say that I am looking for the pumpkin seed recipe you said you were going to post … just wondering if you did indeed post it yet? I would like to save the seeds and roast them and maybe make a pumpkin seed butter … any ideas?
Thanks so much, Jenn

172 LoriAnn November 14, 2015

Hello,
Thanks for all the tips! I would add that I use a grapefruit spoon (serrated on the sides) to remove the seeds and strings. It’s good for scraping, too.

LoriAnn

173 Glen November 24, 2015

Hi there

I want to make a pumpkin bisque. I want to sweeten the sugar pumpkin with dark brown sugar. So my plan is to roast the pumpkin with the brown sugar. Since I have to roast them face down, when can I add the sugar during the roasting process? I greatly appreciate it.
Thanks a bunch
Glen

174 Jennifer November 25, 2015

I absolutely loved roasting my pumpkins!! Im leery about using my roasted pumpkin puree for pies. Will they be too water/loose?
Do I have to strain it? Ooor can I use more cornstarch/arrowroot to thicken my pie filling?

175 Donna S January 6, 2016

Thanks for posting this – I like to add pumpkins to many foods, like tomato sauce or healthy baked goods, for a filler. I’ve always used canned but will try this out now!

176 Maha January 23, 2016

I like your pumpkin purée but I want to ask how long can I store the purée in the friedge and the freezer
Thanks