St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

st jacob's farmers market-4428

My goal for the last few weeks of summer is to spend more time outdoors. This hopefully means more trips to farmer’s markets, dining al fresco, swimming in lakes, iced tea on patios, and long late night walks. It’s been an intense, but satisfying, couple of months working like crazy on my summer book recipes and I’m hoping to wrap them up within the next week or two. It’s time to get outside and give my pale skin a kick of vitamin D before it’s too late.

This past weekend I fulfilled many of these goals. On Friday, Eric and I checked out West Elm – my very first time stepping foot in this store. I didn’t even realize we had a West Elm in Canada! Major oversight.

20120824_113344

I hear they have gorgeous furniture, but I don’t remember seeing anything except the dish section.

20120824_110417

I fell in love with this owl mug the size of my head.

20120825_075215

I’ve been delighting Eric with “morning owl” jokes ever since.

Unfortunately, he hates morning owls.

Coincidentally, West Elm just happens to be in the area of Fresh restaurant (on Crawford). I ordered the Macro Greens bowl with tofu and my fav Liver Flush beet juice. Eric had his go-to veggie burger & fries and a strawberry, peach, mango smoothie. We enjoyed a great meal on the patio.

20120824_123727

(I selected the Green dressing to go with it, but I think a bowl so simple needs a dressing more substantial – like a thick tahini dressing. I will probably try that next time.)

We kicked off Saturday morning with a trip to St. Jacob’s Farmer’s market. I used to go here a lot when I was younger and my family lived in Cambridge. It’s been at least 15 years since I’d last been and Eric had never been before, so we figured it was time to go! It was rammed with people all trying to stay cool in the sweltering sun.

st jacob's farmers market-4409

If you aren’t familiar with St. Jacob’s market – it’s massive with an antique market, outdoor markets, flea markets and more.

It’s amazing to see the market through my 29 year old eyes versus my 12 year old eyes. I surely didn’t appreciate its beauty fully back then.

st jacob's farmers market-4432 st jacob's farmers market-4411st jacob's farmers market-4413 st jacob's farmers market-4415st jacob's farmers market-4417st jacob's farmers market-4419 st jacob's farmers market-4420 st jacob's farmers market-4422 st jacob's farmers market-4425  st jacob's farmers market-4429 st jacob's farmers market-4431st jacob's farmers market-4421

I left with a basket of beets, strawberries, plums, and an armful of green and yellow zucchini.

Early Saturday evening, Ange came over and we celebrated her birthday at Paradiso restaurant here in Oakville. I had my favourite Portobello steak dish which never disappoints! We also dined on the patio…it was such a great evening.

20120825_190617

On Sunday, I recipe tested until 2ish and then Eric and I headed to visit Steve and Joanne at their new house in Toronto. They live walking distance to the beach now – check it out!

20120826_170736

On the walk back to their place, we popped into a vegan bakery called Tori’s Bakeshop. I bought this sundried tomato, basil, and olive scone for us to share on the drive home. It was good even though I’m not a big olive fan – fresh and fluffy, with a strong bite.

20120826_183433

Sketchie also recharged his batteries this weekend in a new hiding spot – tucked in behind a bunch of artwork. It took us a good 10 minutes to find this little guy!

Sketchie-4382

I swear he’s rolling his eyes at me.

It’s hard to believe Labour Day long weekend is almost here (and our 4th wedding anniversary this Friday!). We’re off to my in laws place on Saturday to soak up every last bit of sunshine before taking the boat and dock out of the water for another year. Bittersweet!

Coming up, another how-to post – stay tuned…

Page 2 of 2«12
Fay August 11, 2015

Hi, Does anyone knows if there is any vegan ready to eat food at St. Jacob’s market?? Would like to take the kids there and spent a day there.

Rachel August 8, 2015

If you come to London, try Tibits Vegan restaurant. Come check it out here; http://www.collatedstyle.com/home/review-of-tibits-vegan-restaurant-in-london

x

wabiojiisan December 6, 2013

While researching roasting pumpkin seeds, I came across your blog about visiting Vancouver. Beautiful night photos, even though they are tone mapped. Back in the ’70’s, I lived next to Stanley Park in Vancouver and the “Beaches” area in Toronto. Both areas were at the forefront of “alternate” restaurants and food stores. Now living in southern California. Not a vegan, but everyone can’t be perfect:)

Erin June 27, 2013

hello!
I recently discovered your blog and love it!! Have been toying with the idea of starting my own. But what really had me excited was St. Jacobs Market, im at student at Waterloo and dream of going!! I also saw Oakville which is my hometown! Too funny!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 1, 2013

Small world! :)

Sarah March 10, 2013

Angela, were those roses cut roses standing in a planter of water? Or were they a rose plant? The container made them look like a rose plant, but that seems impossible.

Beautiful work. Thank you! Keep sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2013

I think they were standing in a planter of water :) But it’s a bit foggy now! hah

Sarah March 11, 2013

Yah, since doing my own research online subsequently, I’m sure they were standing in water. They are beautiful!

Kali October 9, 2012

The fresh fruits and vegetables looks delicious. Being pregnant anything fresh looks delicious. We have a couple small farmers markets around my home but this looks like heaven! Oh, and the olive, sun dried tomato and basil scone looks amazing! By the way, I love the kitty. So adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Abby September 7, 2012

Great photos! And it’s so cool that you went to St Jacobs, I live in K/W and go there quite often for local fruits and veggies! It’s the best! :) Love your blog by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2012

Thank you Abby! Maybe we will run into each other sometime ;)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See September 2, 2012

Both eats and places look wonderful! Hope you had a great weekend :)

Jacqueline August 31, 2012

Great pic of Sketchie.

Katie August 30, 2012

Hi! This is my first time commenting – I’ve been reading your blog for awhile – not only are you an amazing photographer, great writer, and talented chef, but I’ve long loved the Canadian content! Most of the healthy living blogs I read are written by Americans, which is cool, but I always get Trader Joes-envy haha…I love seeing your photos of President’s Choice ingredients or brands I recognize from Sobeys or Loblaws! Anyways, once I saw this post I knew I had to comment – I’m also from Cambridge and I go to the St Jacob’s farmer’s market a lot. I love it! I had no idea you used to live in Cambridge. What a small world! Anyways, this comment is getting very long but I just wanted to say hi and thanks for such a cool vegan and Canadian blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

Hey Katie! Yes, small world indeed! Thank you so much for your comment – I’m so happy to hear how much you enjoy the blog. Thats all I could ask for! I can also relate to you TJ’s envy… :) take care

Kim August 30, 2012

Beautiful pictures from the farmer’s market! Thanks for sharing.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats August 30, 2012

I love the owl mug!! I don’t know why, real owls creep me out, but any sort of owl design I find adorable!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 29, 2012

Dannng I don’t think we have markets that awesome over where I live!! Look at that beautiful produce~I seriously think that veggies and fruits are some of the most beautiful things to photograph–of course, after people/nature :P And I love it when cats sit like that, haha!

Alyne :) August 29, 2012

I love the picture of sketchie!

Also: juuust curious, what do you and Eric (or other people reading this!) consider a good amount to spend on a meal out per person? I just got married and we are eating out at veggie places and I’m just curious what other people consider a good amount! if that’s too personal you may ignore me <333

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

I think it really depends on the restaurant – the food, quality, consistency, service, atmosphere, etc.

Jess August 29, 2012

Wow, I JUST finished eating the macro greens with tofu steak for dinner, it’s one of my go-to at Fresh; next time try it with the Powerhouse dressing…

My husband’s family lives in Cambridge and I’ve never been to St. Jacob, I’m totally requesting a trip to the market next time we head to Cambridge on a Saturday!

Lauren August 29, 2012

Farmer’s markets are great! I didn’t start going to them until my mom took me to my first one a couple of years ago. It almost makes me feel like I picked the produce myself. Sketchie cracks me up! You ought to do a post from his point of view one day….I’d LMAO!