St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

st jacobs farmers market 4428   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

My goal for the last few weeks of summer is to spend more time outdoors. This hopefully means more trips to farmer’s markets, dining al fresco, swimming in lakes, iced tea on patios, and long late night walks. It’s been an intense, but satisfying, couple of months working like crazy on my summer book recipes and I’m hoping to wrap them up within the next week or two. It’s time to get outside and give my pale skin a kick of vitamin D before it’s too late.

This past weekend I fulfilled many of these goals. On Friday, Eric and I checked out West Elm – my very first time stepping foot in this store. I didn’t even realize we had a West Elm in Canada! Major oversight.

20120824 113344   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

I hear they have gorgeous furniture, but I don’t remember seeing anything except the dish section.

20120824 110417   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

I fell in love with this owl mug the size of my head.

20120825 075215   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

I’ve been delighting Eric with “morning owl” jokes ever since.

Unfortunately, he hates morning owls.

Coincidentally, West Elm just happens to be in the area of Fresh restaurant (on Crawford). I ordered the Macro Greens bowl with tofu and my fav Liver Flush beet juice. Eric had his go-to veggie burger & fries and a strawberry, peach, mango smoothie. We enjoyed a great meal on the patio.

20120824 123727   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

(I selected the Green dressing to go with it, but I think a bowl so simple needs a dressing more substantial – like a thick tahini dressing. I will probably try that next time.)

We kicked off Saturday morning with a trip to St. Jacob’s Farmer’s market. I used to go here a lot when I was younger and my family lived in Cambridge. It’s been at least 15 years since I’d last been and Eric had never been before, so we figured it was time to go! It was rammed with people all trying to stay cool in the sweltering sun.

st jacobs farmers market 4409   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

If you aren’t familiar with St. Jacob’s market – it’s massive with an antique market, outdoor markets, flea markets and more.

It’s amazing to see the market through my 29 year old eyes versus my 12 year old eyes. I surely didn’t appreciate its beauty fully back then.

st jacobs farmers market 4432   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4411   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Funst jacobs farmers market 4413   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4415   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Funst jacobs farmers market 4417   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Funst jacobs farmers market 4419   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4420   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4422   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4425   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun  st jacobs farmers market 4429   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun st jacobs farmers market 4431   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Funst jacobs farmers market 4421   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

I left with a basket of beets, strawberries, plums, and an armful of green and yellow zucchini.

Early Saturday evening, Ange came over and we celebrated her birthday at Paradiso restaurant here in Oakville. I had my favourite Portobello steak dish which never disappoints! We also dined on the patio…it was such a great evening.

20120825 190617   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

On Sunday, I recipe tested until 2ish and then Eric and I headed to visit Steve and Joanne at their new house in Toronto. They live walking distance to the beach now – check it out!

20120826 170736   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

On the walk back to their place, we popped into a vegan bakery called Tori’s Bakeshop. I bought this sundried tomato, basil, and olive scone for us to share on the drive home. It was good even though I’m not a big olive fan – fresh and fluffy, with a strong bite.

20120826 183433   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

Sketchie also recharged his batteries this weekend in a new hiding spot – tucked in behind a bunch of artwork. It took us a good 10 minutes to find this little guy!

Sketchie 4382   St. Jacob’s Farmer’s Market, Fresh Restaurant, and Other Fun

I swear he’s rolling his eyes at me.

It’s hard to believe Labour Day long weekend is almost here (and our 4th wedding anniversary this Friday!). We’re off to my in laws place on Saturday to soak up every last bit of sunshine before taking the boat and dock out of the water for another year. Bittersweet!

Coming up, another how-to post – stay tuned…

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 28, 2012

I can’t believe you haven’t been to West Elm with all of the awesome dishes you have! Did ya spend a lot of money like I do when I go? ;-) So jealous of that farmers market. I would be in heaven!

Perhaps Sketchie is trying to tell you his inner Picaso wants to come out. You should totally put some non-toxic paint on his paws and let him “paint” you a pic on canvas!

Andrea @ Vegvacious August 28, 2012

It sounds like we have some perfect weather in store for you to get in all your last minute summer activities!! St. Jacobs is a place I haven’t been to in years. I must change that because the farmers market looks fantastic!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 28, 2012

I love posts like this and a glimpse into what your corner of the world looks like – all that produce is gorgeous and how cool are those roses!

And yes, keep me out of West Elm. Ahem. It’s my #1 store for my furniture and home decor. Well, tied with Anthro :)

Stacy August 28, 2012

Wow!! I’m shocked that it was your first time to West Elm!!! I will drive into TO from Hamilton just to go there!! I didn’t realize there was a fresh restaurant close by, I will have to check it out next time!!!

Sarina @ Earthgiven August 28, 2012

What gorgeous photos! I grew up in Oakville and I loved Paradiso before I went vegan, haven’t tried them since; good to know they gave you a good vegan meal. Thanks for sharing. The other week, my family and I had a wonderful vegan meal at Alhambra in Bronte. The vegetarian tajine was absolutely amazing.
Tori’s Bakeshop is only my must-try list! I hear there are vegan croissants there! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2012

I totally missed the croissants!
Thanks for the tip about Alhambra, I’ll have to check it out.

Meredith @ Dare You To August 28, 2012

Oh my gosh. Those flowers made me catch my breath!!

Nice goal to spend more time outside — I’ve been trying to do the same while weather permits!

Katie August 28, 2012

Your farmers market puts our to SHAME! I would be there every weekend if it were close by =) I’m dying for that scone though- was it really as big as it looked in the picture? I also have a West Elm close by but have never been in but I’m sold on the idea of checking it out tomorrow after seeing that owl mug!

chelsey August 29, 2012

Gorgeous photos! Love seeing all that yummy local farmers market food!

Kelly August 29, 2012

You’re absolutely right – I definitely don’t remember the St. Jacobs market looking so inviting when I was a teenager! My parents still live in Cambridge but I moved away 13 years ago…and haven’t been back to the market since. Will put it on my list for next summer’s visit for sure.

Sonal August 29, 2012

Angela you live in such beautiful place! The market looks lovely, and seems like you have lots of healthy options all around :)

Erica {EricaDHouse.com} August 29, 2012

Those roses in the first photo are incredible!

I’ve never heard of West Elm but it looks like a mix of Anthropologie + IKEA. In other words – I would become totally obsessed and lose all of my money there like some Vegas casino :/

AdrienneCarolyn August 29, 2012

Oh you were shopping in my hood! I live right beside West Elm so it’s great that I can always find odds and ends in the sale section! I NEED to go to that Farmer’s Market it looks even better than Brickworks!!
ps. I went to The Ex for lunch yesterday and there were at least 3 vegan places in the food building to balance out all the insane bacon concoctions. Progress!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2012

Really? That’s fantastic!! All I heard about on the news was the deep fried stuff…good to know there are options :)

Ingrid King August 29, 2012

There’s nothing worse than looking for a cat who doesn’t want to be found, only to have him roll his eyes (or laugh) at you. Sketchie is so beautiful!

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 29, 2012

What beautiful photos! I had never heard of a savory scone before – must try that. Also, the grill marks on those tomatoes!

Cara Craves... August 29, 2012

St Jacob’s is great!
I often go there on Sat. mornings.
It’s a great place for food and for people watching.

Sara August 29, 2012

Your cat is so darn gorgeous!!

All the food at the market looked divine especially the cherries in large amounts! The steak with the huge mushroom looked really yummy too.

Glad you enjoyed the weekend with your hubby!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 29, 2012

Happy Early Anniversary Ange (and Eric!!!!!) Congratulations on another year. It looks like you’re doing a fabulous job on the ‘get outside more often’ goal. Your photos are making me think another trip to St Jacob’s is in order soon. It’s only like 5 minutes from my house so I don’t know why I don’t go more often! I’m also going to have to make a trip to West Elm… I’ve got spoon envy! ;)

Kristin August 29, 2012

I have two of those owl mugs from West Elm too!! I love them :-) Only I had to order them online because I’m not lucky enough to have a store near me….I would be in trouble if I did lol. Gorgeous photos in this post as well!

Cari @ Pumped for Life August 29, 2012

wow! what a beautiful market!!

amy August 29, 2012

Your pictures at the market are gorgeous!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 29, 2012

I’ve dreamed of going to Fresh restaurant since I bought their cookbook what feels like eons ago. With our recent move to Montreal, I will definitely, most certainly be making my way over to check it out.

Looks like you accomplished your goal to enjoy the outdoors, and took some fabulous photos along the way. Those are the best days – camera in hand, scone in pocket, enjoying the streets of your favorite city… fun!

Beks August 29, 2012

Those roses are so cool!

Emily August 29, 2012

Beautiful pictures. :)

Tegan August 29, 2012

If you ever have a chance, though I know you live a little far, you should try and go to the market on Tuesday or Thursday. It’s so much more quiet and you really get a chance to talk to the farmers about their veggies and learn more about where they’re coming from.
I hope you’re able to go back soon! It’s such a nice market over the summer!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 29, 2012

I am totally jealous of all this patio-sittin’ going on. :)

Me August 29, 2012

I love st Jacobs market. I go there at least once a week…..I live down the street! As great as it is though you do have to be careful who you buy from as there are quite a few vendors who do not sell local produce. That drives me nuts because it kinda defeats the purpose of a farmers market…to support local farmers! If I wanted to buy produce from California I would go to the local grocery store where I could get it cheaper. I love looking at all the yummy food tho and coming home with arm loads of it! And where did you get the flowers? They’re really cool.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2012

The flowers were at the market – didnt buy any!
I know what you mean about the farmer’s markets. I find all of them are like that around here.

Rachel August 29, 2012

Those cherries look amazing! They’ve been so good lately.. def their season :)

Magen August 29, 2012

I went to Toronto for the first time last month and stopped by Fresh because you post about it so often – it.is.amazing. I wish we had one in Boston!

Brittany August 29, 2012

I love the look on Sketchie’s face! He looks so concerned and worried!

Sarah August 29, 2012

The other day my fiance made me the most amazing dinner, shepherds pie and pull apart biscuits. I couldn’t believe how great it was!!! He sent me the recipes to print at work and they were YOURS!! So amazingly delicious. New staple in our house. Thank you!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 29, 2012

I feel like I must be living under a rock because I’ve never heard of West Elm before! I adore that owl mug you got though.

Also my parents used to drag me to St. Jacob’s when I was younger too! I remember I used to get so cranky because I thought it was so boring. Oh how the times have changed!

Meg August 29, 2012

I absolutely LOVE that owl mug! I loved it so much that I’ve already looked it up and I’m planning on buying it! Do you happen to know how many fluid ounces it holds? It lists dimensions on the website but doesn’t tell me how much tea I can fit into it! If you know, that would be great!

Catherine August 29, 2012

Lovely pictures Angela! It looks like you guys had a really fun weekend :) I really need to get outside and enjoy the summer weather more too. I feel there isn’t as big of a rush for me though because I live in Los Angeles and this weather will last until October lol, but still thaks for the reminder to take breaks from work and enjoy nature. Oh and happy almost anniversary!! 4 years is awesome :)!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2012

Thanks Catherine! :) Enjoy your time outdoors.

brianna August 29, 2012

Those roses are cool. Happy Anniversary!

Eileen August 29, 2012

What an amazing-looking market! It’s definitely making me hungry…

Willow August 29, 2012

Sounds like a wonderful few days! I’m jealous of all the vegan restaurants you seem to have by you… here there are only a couple, and only one raw/vegan that I know of (and almost an hour away!). Such a disappointment in my otherwise very eclectic town.

Congrats on the 4 year anniversary coming up!

char eats greens August 29, 2012

I’ve never been to St. Jacobs market!! I honestly want to check out a bigger and better market than the one in my hometown (yes, it’s cozy, but so small haha). Those cherries caught my eye!!

I bought some zucchinis this past weekend too, but I have yet to use them!! Mine are confused – most are yellow AND green. I appreciate a good colour-challenged zucchini though ;)

I can’t believe summer is almost over, too. I really don’t want it to end!

Lisa @ the raw serenity August 29, 2012

Wow!
I can’t believe the pics you posted. They look so perfect and surreal.
I wish I lived in that market!

Amber Chambers August 29, 2012

Hi Angela,
I just wanted to tell you that I just came across your blog on Monday and I have hardly been able to pry myself away since then. I have read everything and have compiled a grocery list based off your recipes. You are brilliant! I am not a vegan but I always am looking for healthy recipes and ways to make food look, taste, and be healthy for myself and my family.
We just moved from Phoenix, AZ to Broken Arrow, OK.I have 3 boys ages 8, 5, & 3. I made them your pancakes today and yum they were soooo good! Everyone loved them. Anyway I could type for hours. I homeschool my boys and we just started last week for the school year and this week we haven’t done one full day of school yet because I have been totally distracted with changing the way we eat. We need it desperately! I can’t wait to try the Green Monster,,,and everything else! Ok I must get off the computer the picture of the roses are amazing! Also I was wondering if you had a recipe for the Hawaiian Stir Fry with Coconut rice? I found it on the Kid friendly page.

Thanks for all you do! You are an inspiration!

Amber Chambers

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2012

Thank you so much Amber! That means the world to me. :) It sounds like you are well on your way to making some great changes!
As for the recipe, you can find it here: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/09/grilled-tofu-with-pineapple-salsa-and-coconut-rice/ enjoy!

Katie August 29, 2012

I’m so excited to try Fresh! :) My boyfriend and I leave early tomorrow morning from Ohio heading towards Toronto for a long weekend! Neither one of us have been to Canada and are super excited. We’re also seeing Niagra Falls from the Canadian side. Seriously, cannot wait! :)

Page 1 of 212»