Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3638   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

Clearly, I’m trying to consume as many tomatoes as I can this month. If there’s a record out there somewhere, I could break it. As much as I like to leave the oven off in August, I’m much more of a roasted tomato kinda girl when it comes down to it. Raw in-season tomatoes are pretty darn good, but roasted tomatoes are the real deal. I’ve already made a double batch of my Roasted Tomato Pesto and have plans to freeze a batch or two of my Creamy Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup. There could be more…

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3639   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

I made this pizza last week when a major, all-consuming pizza craving hit, only I wanted nothing to do with a regular yeast pizza dough. I rarely have the desire to make bread or dough from scratch unless it’s cold out. I contemplated buying pre-made pizza dough from a local grocery store, but the tortillas in the cupboard won the battle over my laziness.

I roasted a couple pounds of tomatoes and then ate a bunch right off the pan.

Made a creamy Basil Cashew Cheeze and ate some straight out of the processor.

Popped the pizzas in the oven then ate one right off the pan.

You’ll see what I mean below.

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3641   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

Roasted Tomato Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

roasted tomatoes:

• 0.90 kg/2 lb tomatoes (I used mixed cherry tomatoes)
  • 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • fine grain sea salt & pepper

for the basil cashew cheeze (yield: 1-1.25 cups)

• 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup roasted tomatoes
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

Crust:

• Large tortillas

1. Place 1 cup raw cashews in a bowl of water and soak for at least 1 hour. Rinse and drain before use. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop tomatoes and place in a bowl and mix with olive oil, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on prepared pan and roast for about 30 minutes or so. Remove and reduce heat to 350F.

2. For the sauce: In a food processor drop in garlic cloves and mince. Now drop in the basil followed by the roasted tomatoes and drained and rinsed cashews. Stop to scrape down the side of the bowl. Now add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until super smooth. Season with fine grain sea salt to taste. Add more oil or lemon juice if preferred.

3. Place your desired amount of tortillas on baking sheet. Spread sauce on each tortilla followed by a generous amount of roasted tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes (watch closely) at 350F or until crisp and golden. Serve immediately. Store leftover sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge. It should keep for a week or longer.

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3643   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

Now, if you dive into your food before the photos are taken, just crop it right out of the photo. No one will ever be the wiser! Until now. :)

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese 3644   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

I have a feeling this could happen to you too. It’s that good.

2012 VegNews Veggie Awards

391423 10151069753971250 1872137162 n   Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews AwardsIf you haven’t already heard, the 2012 VegNews Veggie Awards are going down right now until August 31st. I’m thrilled to be nominated for the first time in the Favorite Blog category. There are all kinds of amaaazing prizes up for grabs like a Vegan Caribbean Cruise (!), Vitamix blender, ice cream party, shopping spree, and more just by filling out the survey (note: you must complete 50% of the survey to be entered for the prizes). No sign up is required.  If you think Oh She Glows is worthy of such an award, I would be so grateful for your vote (Favorite Blog category is found on page 5 of the survey – you can skip ahead if categories don’t apply to you). You can find the 2012 Vegnews survey here. While you’re at it, check out all the amazing vegan products/businesses/people/restaurants up for awards and nominate your own favourite products if they aren’t listed!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 21, 2012

Oooh congrats on the nomination Ange! You’ve got my vote for sure. And on the tomato front… I am with you!! At the Vancouver Whole Foods they had the tiniest orange, yellow, red, and purple tomatoes on the salad bar and I ate them like grapes!!! So cute. This pizza sounds awesome!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 21, 2012

Tortilla pizzas are such a life-saver. I do Mexican pizzas on them a lot. Love this tomato idea. I just got a TON of heirloom cherry tomatoes I need to use up – they are ridiculously sweet this season!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 21, 2012

oh yum! that cashew cheese sounds marvelous! gorgeous meal!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 21, 2012

Voting now! Can’t wait to try roasting tomatoes for my first time in an oven once the temps drop here!

Jennifer August 21, 2012

I voted on the Veg News site last night, after seeing it in my FB feed. Was excited to see your blog listed and definitely voted for you. Good luck, Angela!!

Joy August 21, 2012

These look delicious! I am a pizza addict, and now have a new lunch craving.

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 21, 2012

How exciting! It would be well-deserved and I’ve got my fingers crossed for you :)

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh August 21, 2012

I love that you gave away your nibble secret! So funny!

Now I’m off to vote as you are MORE than worthy!

Caitlin August 21, 2012

this looks DELICIOUS! i am loving the abundance of tomatoes this august and i’m probably eating a cup or more of cherry tomatoes daily. definitely inspired to make a version of this ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2012

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 21, 2012

Congrats on your nomination, Ange! You deserve it!!! That’s awesome you are being recognized!

And fab looking pizza. Basil cashew cheese – yum!

Andrea @ Vegvacious August 21, 2012

Congratulations on the nomination!!!

I totally agree that roasted tomatoes are the way to go….the cooler nights make it a little more bearable for turning on the oven for dinner. This looks fantastic, but I have to say my all-time fave tomato recipe has to be your scalloped tomatoes — I LOVE that recipe!!!!

Erin August 21, 2012

Angela, I thought you might find this email I got today interesting! It further justifies your tomato love, and gives you ways to use them as really interesting beauty products too :) I thought it was really cool even though I don’t share your love for the little guys

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2012

How fun! Sounds like a DIY project I’d be all over. hah

Karen August 21, 2012

You and me both…in-season tomatoes are on my plate every day! This looks like another winner!

And, I cast my vote for you last week, Ange…you are indeed so deserving – every recipe I’ve made, has been exceeded my expectations and you deliver each with a good dose of wit and fun. You are one of kind in the blog world. :)

Christa @ Edible Balance August 21, 2012

I am in LOVE with cashew cheese! I made a scallion cream cheese last week that I am completely obsessed with! I’m not a huge fan of tomatoes, but this would be great with zucchini too! Using a tortilla is such a fabulous light option :)

Huge congratulations on your nomination! Richly deserved Angela, you work so hard and are an inspiration to me and so many others! Off to vote right now!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner August 21, 2012

Voted! Good luck and congrats!

Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie August 21, 2012

This looks unbelievable, I can’t wait to try it. Though I suspect that our definitions of “easy” are sliiiightly different. :)

Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 21, 2012

Yum! Congrats on the nomination – & I voted :)

Solveig @ gluten-free-vegan-girl August 21, 2012

Ahh this looks so yummy, definitely going to try some of this out. Congratulations so much on your nomination as well! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 21, 2012

This looks great!! Amazing recipe, as always :D

Ariel @ WestWithFlight August 21, 2012

I have cashew butter in the cabinet right now (just cashews. . . but they weren’t soaked). Could I use that for the sauce, do you think?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012

That’s a great question! I’m not sure as I haven’t tried it before. I would assume you could but you probably wouldnt need to use much. Also, do you think the processor would still blend it all up? I find without much liquid or solid foods, mine has trouble.

Emily August 21, 2012

So excited for you! You certainly deserve it!

Megan Wall August 21, 2012

Tomatoes are such gems! I love scurrying out to the garden in morning to pick them.
Tomato paste and sauce pretty much finds its way into everything I make… sometimes marinara goes immediately from jar into mouth via spoon… yum! Lycopene!

Marie@citronlimette August 21, 2012

Congratulations. I have already voted for you.

Lauren August 21, 2012

Congratulations Angela! I’ve been reading your blog since before starting my own and wanted to let you know that you have been a huge inspiration to me. I’ve tried many of your recipes and have never been disappointed. Your pictures have prompted me to further my own photography skills, because I’ve realized what an important part it plays in getting people to try new food. My biggest thanks has to be for overnight oats! Your blog was where I first learned of them, and I’ve been eating them ever since! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012

Thank you Lauren, that makes me so happy to hear!

sarah@thesweetlife August 21, 2012

Congrats on the nomination! that is fantastic and you deserve it!
Plus those pizzas look AMAZING

Amanda August 21, 2012

Congrats on your nomination! I’ve been reading your blog since before I started my own, and it’s been a great source of inspiration for me.

I love tortilla pizzas for when I’m short on time. The basil cashew cheeze sounds great! I’m also a big fan of using hummus instead of tomato sauce.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies August 21, 2012

This looks amazing! I usually just use hummus as a base for my pizza, but I really need to make some cashew cheese, it looks amazing! Thanks for a great idea and congrats on the nomination!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! August 21, 2012

My goodness, this looks amazing! Roasted tomatoes just sound so appealing right now :-)

Allyson August 21, 2012

I voted for your blog on Veg News, Angela! I love reading your blog! Thanks so much for everything you do. Cooking is hard work so thank you for sharing all of your great recipes!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 21, 2012

this looks awesome and I voted!

Kendra August 21, 2012

That basil cashew cheeze looks amazingly delicious!! And I agree that tortillas are a great stand-in for regular pizza crust when you don’t have the time (or patience) to make homemade dough:) Congratulations on your Vegnews nomination; I will try to remember to vote for you!!

Tricia August 21, 2012

I’ve always wanted to make cashew cheeze and this is such a great opportunity to try! I guess I’ll have to eventually get a food processor anyway :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 21, 2012

Congrats on the nomination! You deserve it.

The pizza looks great. I hope to try it soon!

Elyse V August 21, 2012

Yummy! I will have to try this on a brown rice tortilla. As for eating so many tomatoes, I’m right there with you. I’ve been eating them for every meal, they are overflowing in the garden right now. Definitely not something to complain about though, just have to get creative with how to preserve/store them for when the anemic looking store tomatoes are our only option..

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012

“anemic looking store tomatoes” hah that’s a good description!!

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 21, 2012

I think I’m going to make Friday night “Pizza Night” this week and this pizza looks delicious! I really want to try that basil cashew cheeze. I could see using that for a variety of things. You totally deserve the caribbean cruise…..I’ll be voting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012

Thanks Kim! The prizes are actually for the voters – so goodluck to you!

Nadine Veroba August 21, 2012

I voted last night! You deserve it Angela!

Heidi kokborg August 21, 2012

Congratulation with the nomination, I am really happy for you :) And you definitely have my vote..
The torilla pizza looks so yummy! I actually made something similar last night, and it was really good.. But I am trying your version next time :)

Lisa @ the raw serenity August 21, 2012

These look great!
Some of my best recipes have come from a result of being lazy and not going to the shops , so having to use what ever I have left.
Voted for you a week or so so :) congrats!

Rajvinder Kaur August 21, 2012

Just voted. Good luck!! :)

Page 1 of 3123»