Easy Roasted Tomato Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze & 2012 VegNews Awards

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese-3638

Clearly, I’m trying to consume as many tomatoes as I can this month. If there’s a record out there somewhere, I could break it. As much as I like to leave the oven off in August, I’m much more of a roasted tomato kinda girl when it comes down to it. Raw in-season tomatoes are pretty darn good, but roasted tomatoes are the real deal. I’ve already made a double batch of my Roasted Tomato Pesto and have plans to freeze a batch or two of my Creamy Roasted Tomato Coconut Soup. There could be more…

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese-3639

I made this pizza last week when a major, all-consuming pizza craving hit, only I wanted nothing to do with a regular yeast pizza dough. I rarely have the desire to make bread or dough from scratch unless it’s cold out. I contemplated buying pre-made pizza dough from a local grocery store, but the tortillas in the cupboard won the battle over my laziness.

I roasted a couple pounds of tomatoes and then ate a bunch right off the pan.

Made a creamy Basil Cashew Cheeze and ate some straight out of the processor.

Popped the pizzas in the oven then ate one right off the pan.

You’ll see what I mean below.

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese-3641

Roasted Tomato Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheeze

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

roasted tomatoes:

• 0.90 kg/2 lb tomatoes (I used mixed cherry tomatoes)
  • 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • fine grain sea salt & pepper

for the basil cashew cheeze (yield: 1-1.25 cups)

• 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup roasted tomatoes
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

Crust:

• Large tortillas

1. Place 1 cup raw cashews in a bowl of water and soak for at least 1 hour. Rinse and drain before use. Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop tomatoes and place in a bowl and mix with olive oil, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on prepared pan and roast for about 30 minutes or so. Remove and reduce heat to 350F.

2. For the sauce: In a food processor drop in garlic cloves and mince. Now drop in the basil followed by the roasted tomatoes and drained and rinsed cashews. Stop to scrape down the side of the bowl. Now add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until super smooth. Season with fine grain sea salt to taste. Add more oil or lemon juice if preferred.

3. Place your desired amount of tortillas on baking sheet. Spread sauce on each tortilla followed by a generous amount of roasted tomatoes. Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes (watch closely) at 350F or until crisp and golden. Serve immediately. Store leftover sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge. It should keep for a week or longer.

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese-3643

Now, if you dive into your food before the photos are taken, just crop it right out of the photo. No one will ever be the wiser! Until now. :)

Tortilla Pizza with Basil Cashew Cheese-3644

I have a feeling this could happen to you too. It’s that good.

2012 VegNews Veggie Awards

391423_10151069753971250_1872137162_nIf you haven’t already heard, the 2012 VegNews Veggie Awards are going down right now until August 31st. I’m thrilled to be nominated for the first time in the Favorite Blog category. There are all kinds of amaaazing prizes up for grabs like a Vegan Caribbean Cruise (!), Vitamix blender, ice cream party, shopping spree, and more just by filling out the survey (note: you must complete 50% of the survey to be entered for the prizes). No sign up is required.  If you think Oh She Glows is worthy of such an award, I would be so grateful for your vote (Favorite Blog category is found on page 5 of the survey – you can skip ahead if categories don’t apply to you). You can find the 2012 Vegnews survey here. While you’re at it, check out all the amazing vegan products/businesses/people/restaurants up for awards and nominate your own favourite products if they aren’t listed!

Page 3 of 3«123
NewPizzaHouse May 4, 2017

These look delicious and Yummy! I am a pizza addicted.

Ranee Franti December 9, 2016

This looks delicious. I have been reading your blog since many years and you are a huge inspiration to me. I have tried many of your recipe. Yesterday whenever I saw it, I can’t wait to try it. Then I Started to make your roasted pizza and that was not too good. So I want to make it again. Thank you for sharing all of your good recipe!

Elda Pomales December 8, 2016

This looks so delicious. I made this based on what I had on deck. I did not have basil so I used spinach instead, and while I did not have raw cashews I did have raw cashew butter. I made this according to the directions, I may have added too much spinach because my sauce came out green, ha! But nevertheless this pizza was DELICIOUS! the roasted tomatoes alone I could not stop eating.

Thank you for this recipe. Keep it up!

lara August 21, 2016

hi, how many pizzas does this recipe make? xx

Susan October 14, 2015

I used this recipe for some company and what a hit! I made my own whole wheat pizza crust and added caramelized onions. This was my first time with soaked cashews and basil in place of cheese and it won’t be my last. So scrumptious. Added a picture on my Facebook page and noted this web site.

Elizabeth March 28, 2015

I made this tonight — too lazy to measure ingredients. IT WAS DELICIOUS!

Michelle June 1, 2014

Ooh I love when I find recipes that I already have all the ingredients for on hand! How many tortilla pizzas will the roasted tomatoes and cashew cheeze cover? Thanks, Angela.

Dimitri May 13, 2014

Hi. Why is it called ‘cheeze’ instead of ‘cheese’? Thanks.

Jana March 11, 2014

We had this tonight and it was SO good. Thank you for all blogging your recipes. I love almost all of them!

Haley January 23, 2014

Thank you, from the entirety of my happy heart. This pizza was so good.

Rachel September 2, 2013

I made these using Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas and they were delicious!!

Stephanie August 2, 2013

Waiting for this to pop out of the oven. It was pretty fun to make. I love cashews, garlic and tomatoes so this combo should be fabulous. Just moved into a new place so I haven’t become an expertise with my oven and I think it cooks slower, I have to cook it longer than 15 minutes to make it crispy!

Ashley July 14, 2013

I made the basil cashew cheeze and it was AMAZING! I could hardly stop eating it straight out of the blender lol the only change I made was subbing fresh tomatoes for roasted ones, and bottled lemon juice for the fresh; and I added a couple tablespoons of old pesto I needed to use up. I used it on a veggie pizza instead of tomato sauce and it was sooooo good! I will definitely be making it again. :)

mara July 4, 2013

amazing! just tried this recipe (with walnuts instead of cashews ) ugh this was soooo delicious.

Tricia Ewanchuk June 15, 2013

Have you tried making a cauliflower crust? I am going to try that this weekend. Wish me luck

Heather March 1, 2013

This pizza is absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing recipe. I often have cravings for pizza and I am so ecstatic to find a vegan recipe that tastes better than real pizza actually does! =)

By the way, I adore your blog and will admit that almost all of the vegan recipes I have made have been from here. Thank you for providing such a wonderful resource.

Fleur February 27, 2013

Any recommendations for a variation on the toppings?? So excited to try the basil cashew cheese sauce! But too many tomatoes are a bit acidic for me, what else would you suggest goes well with that sauce?? Any suggestions welcome, thanks!!

Tess February 2, 2013

*wipes tears*, the last bastion, pizza, my vegan guilt trip can finally come to an end. Every Sunday night we have family pizza and movie night, I make the pizzas and I’m the only vegan, I have to make those meat-lovers what they want, so I always crumble and have cheese on top of my otherwise pizza….until today…I’ve been asking the universe to help me out on this one, pizza is not pizza unless it has something creamy happening. I’m going to add caramelised onions to your recipe as well. Thank you.

Justine January 6, 2013

This was wonderful! Especially when you consider how simple it is. Thank you.

Paige January 5, 2013

Just finished making this and it was DELICIOUS! The leftover “cheese” will be great on a sandwich, wrap, or veggie dip!

Mari Noga December 6, 2012

Eating it right now. Delish! Also, I’m the one that asked if we could use brown rice tortilla. It did work. I did do 9 minutes for baking, it came out a little crunchy but my husband and I really liked it. Ha-ha! My husband is in the kitchen making another one for him. Thank you! -Mari

Mari Noga December 5, 2012

Do you think rice tortillas will do okay in the oven? Trying to do GF for my hubby. It looks delish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012

I can’t see why not! Let me know how it goes.

Afton November 8, 2012

I just made this for the second time, and we loved it again. This time, by 16 month old daughter ate with us, and she LOVED the cheeze sauce! She ate it by the spoonful when it came out of the blender, and then licked it off her slice of pizza!

Lynn October 26, 2012

Angela,
Just made this pizza for dinner tonight…Oh My Goodness it is so delicious.I made a spelt crust and added some roasted garlic as well. Love your site and all your yummy recipes. Who says veggies are boring?!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2012

So glad to hear that Lynn!

Ali October 14, 2012

This was delicious! I was eating the pesto/cashew sauce right out of the blender!

Jennifer September 4, 2012

In cashew cheese, what is the the significance of the cashews being raw rather than roasted?

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See September 2, 2012

Hahah best eaten…immediately ;)

Maddie August 29, 2012

I just made these for dinner, though I used grille flat bread. And it’s so hot here, that I chilled the cashew cheeze and roasted tomatoes and ate it cold. Then I stole your idea for spiralizing zucchini without a spiralizer and tossed that in the cashew cheeze too. So good!

Hailey August 29, 2012

Totally voted you up in the competition girl! Hope you win!

Question – I’ve had friends tell me you can make pesto and freeze it in little ice cube trays for later use, but leave the cheese out when you freeze. Do you think you could make this and freeze, since it’s cheeseless? Or would something happen to the nooch?

Thanks!

sunidhi August 29, 2012

Hi it like my dream comes true. whatever ingredients u have used all r my favorite. every time while i preparing pizza its going hard can u give me some tips.