Warm Quinoa Salad with 3-Herb Green Sauce

quinoa salad summer-3978

My weekend consisted of about 20+ hours cooking, baking, styling, and shooting cookbook recipes. It was intense, but luckily I always seem to have a lot of fun when there’s food involved. I managed to cap off the weekend by gouging my middle finger with a processor blade. Middle finger indeed. Side note – Have you ever tried to type with a band-aid on? This could get ugly…

As Hillary said on Instagram, my kitchen photo made her twitch:

20120817_152056

I feel you, Hillary.

Anyway, it felt so good to kick up my feet Sunday night! This quinoa salad fueled my weekend, in addition to 3 summer appetizers, 1 breakfast recipe, and 2 entrées. Luckily, we had friends over Saturday night to help us eat all the appetizers we were drowning in. The plates were empty within an hour, so I’ll take that as a good sign!

quinoa salad summer-3894

This quinoa salad is served warm, which seemed appropriate for the cooler temps we had over the weekend. It’s all topped off with a lovely green sauce to infuse the dish with a tangy bite of fresh herbs, lemon, and olive oil. I used basil, chives, and dill because that’s what I had on hand, but feel free to use any herbs you like.

quinoa salad summer-3989

Warm Quinoa Salad with 3-Herb Green Sauce

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 2-3 servings

Salad:

• 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1.5 cups water
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 0.45kg/1 lb mixed cherry/Campari tomatoes
  • 3 corn-on-the-cob, shucked
  • 3 green onions, chopped

3-Herb Green Sauce: (yield = approx 1/3 cup)

• 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup lightly packed basil
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill*
  • 2 tbsp fresh chives
  • approx 1/4 cup yellow tomato*
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/8th tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)

1. Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Add quinoa to a medium-sized pot along with 1.5 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Cook for 15-17 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid on before fluffing with a fork.

2. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Chop tomatoes and mince garlic. Remove corn from the cob by slicing down the ear of the corn with a chef’s knife. Add oil to skillet and the chopped veggies. Season generously with Herbamare or fine grain sea salt. Cook for about 7-8 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in chopped green onions.

3. Meanwhile, make the green sauce in a food processor. Start by dropping the garlic into the processor to mince. Now add in the herbs and mince again. Next add the liquids – tomatoes, oil, and lemon juice. Stop to scrape down the side of the bowl as needed. Season to taste & add opt. nooch.

4. To assemble, spoon quinoa into a bowl, layer the tomato and corn mix on top, and spoon on green sauce. Season with salt and pepper & enjoy!

Notes: 1) You can sub any fresh herbs that you like. 2) The yellow tomatoes in this green sauce acts as an oil-replacer. They thin out the sauce without needing a ton of oil. I used yellow tomatoes so the sauce would remain a lovely green colour. Red tomatoes will likely change the colour to be less vibrant.

quinoa salad summer-3962

The fridge is overflowing with simple, healthy food. It’s going to be a great week!

1 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 20, 2012

Oh, dear! I hope your finger is okay :(

On the bright side – that salad looks fabulous! I love the colors.

2 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 20, 2012

Great colors in this salad, Angela! Sounds like you had one productive weekend… minus the cut to the middle finger. Hey, at least it wasn’t your thumb! I HATE cutting my thumb. Enjoy the week!

3 Andrea @ Vegvacious August 20, 2012

Now that is one lovely looking summer salad! There is nothing better than using fresh tomatoes right off the vine this time of year….and great idea about using the yellow tomatoes in the sauce!

Hope your finger survived the typing ;-) Have a wonderful week!

4 Wynne August 23, 2012

I think the yellow tomatoes are clever, too. Beautiful pictures.

5 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 20, 2012

Aww man, that stinks about your finger but kinda comical which one it was. “Which finger did you hurt?” THIS ONE! *waves it around* I’d take advantage of that one. ;-)

Great salad by the way!

6 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 20, 2012

I’ve been staring at my little box of Quinoa in the cupboard for weeks now trying to think of a new recipe to use it in – this is perfect!

7 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 20, 2012

The colors in this salad just POP off the screen! Love brightly colored big bowls like this — and the sauce, mmmm! So flavorful!

8 Kara Swan August 20, 2012

You had me up until corn :/ I’m a weirdo and I hate it (and I don’t hate ANYTHING).

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

I didn’t know there was such a thing as hating corn! jk ;) You could sub it out for yellow squash maybe? Or any veggie you have kicking around.

10 Moni Meals August 20, 2012

Hi Ang! You were busy. Also your poor finger, I know typing can be so tricky with a band aid on. :) My kitchen looks like this at lest once a week!
So this quinoa meal looks great! Easy, colorful, and very healthy! Perrrrfecto if you ask me. Have a great Monday!

11 Christa @ Edible Balance August 20, 2012

Gorgeous salad! It’s not cooling off here yet thank goodness, but it’s nice to break things up once in a while and have something cozy and warm.

Glad someone’s weekend was productive! I feel so unprepared for the week, but it was a wonderful weekend filled with sunshine!!

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 20, 2012

I want to put this in a jar and take it to lunch!

Love all the herbs here, and I just bough some heirloom cherry tomatoes that would be awesome in this. Great recipe!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

Good idea, it would be really good layered in a jar…and portable too.

14 Willow August 20, 2012

Mm, this sounds absolutely perfect right now – it has been cool here, too, and was so chilly in the house this morning that I actually cooked myself breakfast, instead of just blending up a smoothie. A warm, healthy dish like this would really hit the spot!

And congrats on getting throug so much of the cookbook work… I’m envious of your energy. I get overwhelmed if I have to prepare and photograph more than one meal in a day!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

hah my energy comes in spurts…today I feel beat up! It’s always good to take time away from it so I think today will be mostly computer work to give my feet a rest. Enjoy the dish if you make it!

16 DaNelle August 20, 2012

Angela, I just love all your recipes! Been a follower for years!

17 Lori August 20, 2012

Gotta agree with Heather: the kitchen photo made me twitch. :-)

What a beautiful and healthy salad to eat. I can hardly wait to make this. Thanks for the recipe and excellent photography. The photos sealed the deal for me.

18 Rajvinder Kaur August 20, 2012

Angela,

Great recipe! I absolutely love your site. I’ve yet to find another to beat it :). All your recipes are simple and easy to make. I cannot wait for your cookbook. Is it possible for you to recommend any cookbooks in the meantime? I am slowly transitioning into incorporating more and more vegan cooking in my lifestyle.

Thank you for your help!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

Thank you so much! My fav cookbooks are listed on my amazon page (you can find it at the bottom of the blog in the footer called my favourite things). Hope this helps!

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 20, 2012

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear about your finger Ange! I did it last week too while trying to clean my spiralizer blade – NOT fun! It sounds like you had a really busy weekend, and I’m glad you got a tasty quinoa salad out of it! I can’t wait to try the herb sauce.

21 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) August 20, 2012

Wow that kitchen is quite a mess. I spent 3 hours in the kitchen on Sunday making lunches, breakfast, snacks and dinner and my kitchen looked quite similar. I was lucky enough to have a dish fairy (aka my boyfriend who will enjoy all the food I made!) to do all of my dishes and clean the kitchen.

22 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 20, 2012

that green sauce sounds just delightful!

23 Karen August 20, 2012

Yummo…quinoa bowls are my favorites, esp. when late summer tomatoes are involved. And, that herb green sauce sounds lovely. Excited!

24 Andrea August 20, 2012

Oh my gosh – those kitchen counters are loaded! I’m sure it looks worse than it was because of your mirror backsplashes, but still. Dang girl! :) But, sometimes a big mess means a lot of fun!

25 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012

I love the simple freshness of this recipe. Quinoa is such a great base for a salad. Hope your finger is on the mend and that you had tons of recipe success for your book!

26 Katie August 20, 2012

Just wanted to say thanks for your website. My husband and I are converting to vegan eating (so far so good!) and yours is the most most helpful online resource that I’ve found. My favorite, too. I am happily surprised by how good everything tastes!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2012

Thank you Katie, I appreciate that!

28 Jorie @ themidwestmaven.wordpress.com August 20, 2012

I have been searching for a good quinoa salad! Can’t wait to try this out. Your pics are fabulous.

29 Eileen August 20, 2012

This salad looks amazing–it’s so clearly bursting with all the best flavors of summer! :)

30 Tricia August 20, 2012

aw man, I’m definitely craving some quinoa now :). When I get home I’m making this!

31 Emily @ www.main-eats.com August 20, 2012

So beautiful and fresh! Congrats on all you accomplished-hope you heal soon from your injury!!!

32 Joanna August 20, 2012

Looks really tasty. Love the pic of your kitchen. Mine looks like that all the time. I dont feel so bad now :)

33 Lisa @ The Raw Serenity August 20, 2012

This looks divine!
I love the colours of this dish.
That sauce really would top it off.

Your kitchen is filled with evidence of love :)

34 Nina August 20, 2012

Cut fingers all part of being a kitchen chef experimenting with creating new recipes. Unfortunately, being poisoned by MSG/free form gluatamate in the form of Nutritional Yeast or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or hydrolyzed yeast extract or vegetable protein any of the many names it is disguised under should not be part of cooking and eating. For anyone interested, look up Dr. Russell Blaylock and his groundbreaking dissemination of information that is widely known but not widely made available. Nutritional yeast is an excitotoxin and there is much evidence that it damages brain cells. Up to everyone to decide for themselves and to seek out information as they choose. Thanks Angela for your scrumptious recipes and for a forum to share!

35 Sarah L. August 20, 2012

This looks really yummy! Your kitchen mess makes me excited for your cookbook – especially since I see a muffin tin out on your stove :)

36 Nichole August 20, 2012

hi! i love your blog! will you please check out mine?

37 janet @ the taste space August 20, 2012

Did I miss your announcement where you said you got the cookbook deal? In any case, that is what my kitchen looks like on the weekends, too. I hate mid-week cooking so I try to do a cooking marathon instead. I love how your laptop is right in the middle of the mess. ;)

38 Ally Chick August 20, 2012

Angela this looks so simple and yummy. I can’t wait to make it and take it to uni as an easy healthy lunch. Thank you for your continued inspiration with food and cooking :)
Love xx

39 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 20, 2012

This looks so good, Angela! I think I might even be able to convince my husband to try it. ;)

40 Sara Nickel August 20, 2012

I feel ya on typing with a band aid! It always messes me up. I love the picture of the tomatoes! They just started carrying baby heirloom tomatoes at our local grocery store and I am putting them in everything. Looks like I’ve found one more recipe to put them in and I’m not complaining:)

41 Jen August 20, 2012

This looks amazingly delicious and light! I certainly will try it soon. I’ve actually been making lots of your salads (and, well, recipes in general) lately and I can’t thank you enough for sharing such tasty and healthy recipes. My new personal fave – your whole foods imitation salad (the one with the edamame, quinoa, and wheatberries) on a bed of baby spring greens topped with organic mixed baby tomatoes (just like the ones in your recipe above), fresh orange slices, and your creamy lemony avocado dressing. OUTTA THIS WORLD!

I also just tried the cinnamon raisin cookie VOO for the first time earlier this week, and it was just perfect for a quick healthy breakfast out the door to work in the A.M. And that healthy chocolate chia pudding gets two thumbs way up! Keep up your awesome work. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes very soon. I truly applaud your creativity in coming up with such unique and flavorful combinations of ingredients that, in addition to being delicious, pack a true nutritional punch. It really makes eating mindfully and healthfully a pleasure.

Many kudos and a big hug,
Jen

42 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale August 20, 2012

So beautiful!! And I’m sure that the veggies that you put on top could vary seasonally and change the dish’s “theme” completely. Can’t wait to try it!! :)

43 Maria August 20, 2012

Thanks for all the great posts! Made your ‘Warm Quinoa Salad with 3-Herb Green Sauce’ tonight and it was fabulous! I’ve been looking for great recipes with quinoa and I’ve had a lot of fresh basil that I was wanting to use up….so thanks!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2012

I’m glad you enjoyed it Maria! Thanks for letting me know. :)

45 Heidi kokborg August 21, 2012

It looks yummy Angela! It is great for a school lunch too.. I am always looking for inspiration for lunches that I can bring to school.. Maybe you could to a post on that too, like you did with snacks?? (I really loved that post!) :)

Hope you finger is okay! :)

46 LizforaDay August 21, 2012

That looks soooo delicious. I have been eating quinoa for about two years know. For some reason people just don’t know about it. It seems like it is a best kept secret for some some reason. I love quinoa in salads. :) Great post.

47 Ksenija August 21, 2012

To me your weekend sounds like fun ;) Best thing to chill me out after a long day of work – twirling around with pots and spoons in the kitchen and whipping up some new recipes.

And a note to this amazing salad with the beautiful green sauce: I bet you could sub cucumber for the yellow tomatoes and still have a nice vibrant color.

48 LizAshlee August 21, 2012

Mmm..this does look perfect for the cooler temps we might be having soon! Those blades can be nasty! Hope it heals fast!

49 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 21, 2012

Looks delicious! I love quinoa and the vegetable combination is wonderful!! Great dish! Makes for a perfect lunch!!

50 Marissa August 21, 2012

What a beautiful salad! The array of colors make this especially appealing to me. I could see this being a great dish to bring to a family gathering.

51 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 21, 2012

So pretty! Pretty salads are always fun to eat. :) The sauce sounds amazing – I can’t wait to try it!!

52 Squash Blossom Babies August 21, 2012

What a great recipe! I can totally relate to having a kitchen look like that after a marathon cooking day! those are the best!

53 Brooke August 21, 2012

I love your dinner/entree recipes the best!

I made this last night as part of my you-really-need-to-eat-some-nutrients kick, and it was just so delightful. The crunch of the corn is perfect in the dish, and I even sliced up a bit of avocado and put it on top!

Thanks for this recipe :)

54 Marya August 21, 2012

This looks delish! Can’t wait to try it, you have the best sauce recipes and this is such a great time for tomatoes.

55 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen August 21, 2012

Thank goooooooooooooooodness I’m not the only one with a totally crazy kitchen! My husband wants to kill me sometimes!

56 LIme August 22, 2012

I loved this recipe… Also don’t like corn so sautéed red peppers with tomatoes and carrots instead… Suprisingly tasty! The green dressing was amazing.. I was eating it out of the food processor…great recipe Angela!

57 Katherine August 22, 2012

This was AMAZING! (FYI, we added some chopped avacado and cucumber on top, and didn’t have any dill.) My husband and I couldn’t believe how delicious this was. Thank you!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2012

Good call with the avocado and cuke!! Glad you enjoyed it.

59 Catherine August 24, 2012

Sorry about your finger! I understand – I fractured my middle finger a couple weeks ago, and it makes things like typing and cooking much more difficult than usual.

This quinoa dish looks fantastic. It is so pretty! I love the mix of vibrant summer colors. I bet it’s as delicious as it is beautiful.

60 Aislinn August 24, 2012

I made the today – sooooo good. I added some fresh jalapenos, red pepper and some english cucumber to my salad (basically whatever was in the fridge. This dish is so yummy!

61 Jessica August 24, 2012

I had this for dinner tonight. So good!

62 Julie Ann Ivanov August 25, 2012

Just wanted to say I so enjoy your new format on your website. Your creativity and healthy cooking have been such a help to me caring for my family. Thank you for sharing your gifting with all of us!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012

Thank you Julie! I will pass along your comments to Eric.

64 Stephanie August 28, 2012

This recipe is amazing! I tried it over the weekend and I’ve gladly been eating the leftovers since then. All the flavours mix so well together, absolutely delicious!

65 Ashley August 31, 2012

I’ve made this salad twice in three days and I am in love! Truthfully, if you include the leftovers for lunch, I’ve eaten this salad every day for the past three days, and I’m looking forward to lunch tomorrow! Thank you for another fabulous recipe!

66 Nancy Brennan September 1, 2012

I made the quinoa salad last week and it was yummy!! We went to the farmer’s market and picked up what we need to make it again! Thank you so much, recipe and directions…purrfect!

67 Dena maddie September 2, 2012

Holy moly. That 3 herb green sauce dressing was fantastic! This is a keeper

68 jannifer September 2, 2012

I have a problem with your blog. I want to make every recipe you post! It’s a little bit of an obsession. I’ve loved everything I’ve tried. Last night I made this one and it’s delicious. It’s great the next morning at room temp as a snack before a run, too! I’m eagerly anticipating your cookbook release.

69 Lynne D September 3, 2012

This was so good and so filling.

70 Susan September 6, 2012

Served this on Labour Day to non vegan friends. Everyone including the kids loved it.
Only change I made: roasted cherry tomatoes instead of sautéing the tomatoes.
It was delish!

71 Cheryl September 10, 2012

This was one of the best dishes I have ever made. Tasted even better the next day.

72 Jamie September 19, 2012

I guess this recipe yields a happy belly and a hurting body part for me too! Knocked my head pretty good on the cabinet but, OH how my his and and I loved this recipe! Added almond slices for a little crunch :) thank you!

73 Amanda October 10, 2012

This was awesome! I had to make adjustments as I didn’t have any dill or chives in the garden — I used basil with a little oregano and tarragon and threw in a couple spoonfuls of the green onion for t. I also had a bunch of bell peppers and a zucchini so I added those in with the corn and tomato mixture. Even my husband (the meat and potatoes guy) and my toddler loved it. I have enough left for lunch tomorrow, too (which I am really looking forward to, let me tell you!). I ended up with a few extra veggies due to my additions, but they’ll go great in the vegan enchiladas I’m making tomorrow. Thanks for the great recipe!

74 Amanda November 8, 2012

Made it a second time with a cilantro basil dressing and cubed avocado on top — even better. Such a versatile recipe!

75 Lexi B October 14, 2012

Wow! This salad really stands up to improvisation, too! We were out of just the weirdest things today (like garlic- we were out of garlic!), and I made it using garlic powder, edamame for the corn, and a handful of parsley. Still delicious!

76 daphne October 22, 2012

How’s your middle finger now? hope it’s fine. .I am so impressed! And your photography is just STUNNING! : )

77 Juanita December 3, 2012

I’m drooling over this….looks so good!

78 Samantha January 18, 2013

Hi Angela,
You may have heard this already, but did you see this scary article about quinoa?
guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/16/vegans-stomach-unpalatable-truth-quinoa
Luckily I have found a place where we can Canadian grown quinoa. I bet it taste better too!
quinoa.com/store
Cheers,
Samantha

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Yes another reader linked to it on my maple baked lentil post and I replied there.

80 rachel June 24, 2013

YUM! I just made this today: added fresh cilantro to the green dressing and kale to the veggie topping. Delish!

81 Ramona June 25, 2013

So good and so quick! Ran home from work and whipped it up in time for some friends to come over for dinner.

82 Liz July 2, 2013

Yummy salad! I added grilled steak for my carnivorous husband & he thought it was great! Awesome summer salad!

83 Jessica April 20, 2014

I’ve been making this about twice a month for awhile now, even my picky kids love it,
They call it greenwah

84 Liat July 4, 2014

Terrific, thank you! I added some zucchini and yellow pepper to the veggies, and replaced the dill with mint. YUM!

85 Karin August 23, 2014

Another great recipe. I added raw cashews to the sauce to make it a little creamier & more filling. Delicious!

86 Deborah October 12, 2015

Made this for my 12 year old daughter who is a vegetarian. She loves this salad and takes it to school for lunch. She can’t get enough of the green sauce!