Oil-Free Chocolate Zucchini Walnut Muffins

oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3073

I never considered myself a big zucchini fan until this summer. Farmer’s market zucchini is what really sold me; before then, I could take it or leave it. I was used to buying small, shriveled up zucchini from the grocery store, so when I tried freshly picked zucchini it was a game changer. My favourite way to prepare it is to sauté green and yellow zucchini with patty pan squash in a bit of olive oil, Herbamare, and pepper. It’s so simple and incredibly tasty.

This morning I took advantage of our holiday Monday and made zucchini muffins for breakfast. I’ve had great luck in the past with oil-free zucchini bread and I hoped these muffins would follow suit. They are fairly low in sugar, completely oil-free, and have a nice dose of crunchy walnuts for healthy omega-3 fatty acids. These aren’t your typical heavy and dense muffins; they are light as a feather and almost cupcake-like in texture. I enjoy them with a pat of soy-free Earth Balance to add a bit of moisture and buttery flavour.

oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3050

oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3030

From start to finish, they were ready in 30 minutes flat. Not too shabby!

oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3031oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3037

Oil-Free Chocolate Zucchini Walnut Muffins

Lightly sweet, whole wheat, and oil-free, these muffins make a special breakfast or take along snack. I love them with a pat of soy-free Earth balance to add a bit of moisture. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour works well in this recipe to create light muffins that are still 100% whole grain. You can also use all-purpose flour if that’s all you have on hand. I don’t recommend subbing the pastry flour for regular whole wheat flour as the muffins will likely turn out too dry and dense.

Print, Email, or Text This Recipe

Adapted from: Oil-Free Zucchini Bread.

Yield: 1 dozen muffins

Ingredients:

• 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
  • 1 & 1/4 cup lightly packed shredded zucchini, skin left on
  • 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 1/2 cup cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life mini chips)
  • 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray muffin with oil or grease with Earth Balance.

2. Mix flax egg in a small bowl and set aside. Grate zucchini using a grater box (regular grate size). Set aside.

3. Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar (or sub fresh lemon juice) in a small bowl and set aside. It will curdle, but this is the point as we’re making vegan buttermilk.

4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar).

5. Mix together the wet ingredients (flax egg, almond milk mixture, maple syrup, and vanilla) and then pour over dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts, and shredded zucchini.

6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin filling each tin 3/4 of the way full. Bake for about 15-17 minutes at 350F, or until muffins slowly spring back when touched. A toothpick should come out mostly clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes. With a knife, loosen around the muffin edge and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool.

oil free vegan choclate zucchini muffins-3068

Have a great Civic Day to those of you celebrating the long weekend! I’m off to enjoy the last couple hours of the afternoon by the water. Why does three days of weekend always seem to fly by just as fast?

1 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 6, 2012

Oh wow, I’ve been looking for a good breakfast muffin and this looks like it’ll do the trick just fine! YUM!

2 Suzanne P August 6, 2012

Mmmm Angela those look delish! I have also taken a recent liking to zucchini, especially in patty form. I also couldn’t help but notice the red teapot in the background of your pictures! It’s so cute :)

3 Ash August 6, 2012

Do you know how many calories this has?

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

Hey Ash, I’m sorry I don’t have the nutrition info.

5 Mychael McNeeley August 13, 2012

Angela, made these yesterday. They are delicious. Thanks for another great recipe:)
Ash- I plugged recipe into Calorie Count recipe analyzer (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php) and came up with these figures (you can do the same with any recipe, just takes a few minutes to edit so Calorie Count understands): Calories 194, Fat 6.2 g, Sat. Fat, 1 g Sodium 223 Carb 32, Fiber 3.6g, Sugars 13.4g, Protein 4.7, Calcium 9%

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 6, 2012

Zucchini has been particularly good this season. I’ve been eating it raw dipped in nut butter, or making zucchini bread protein shakes a lot. Love the looks of these muffins! One question – that’s a ton of baking powder. Do you think it would work with a little less, or would it be too dense?

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

Hey Laura, you could probably get away with 2 tsp but I wouldnt use any less.

8 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 6, 2012

Oh, WOW! You totally had me at “oil-free” !!

9 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 6, 2012

Yum….and I just so happen to have some zucchini on hand! These sound perfect!

10 Beks August 6, 2012

Those sound awesome. I just might have to make those tonight if I don’t have to work. 30 minutes? Too awesome!

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 6, 2012

These look SO delicious Ange! I love zucchini now and am probably known at the grocery store amongst the workers as “that girl that hoards all of the zucchini”. (LOL, well actually, zucchini AND carrots…. and watermelon.) Whole wheat pastry flour is what I use in pretty much all of my baked goods. You’re right.. regular whole wheat is dense… I’ve had rock muffins many times! Enjoy the rest of the holiday!

12 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 6, 2012

I haven’t used Zucchini yet in baking but I’m seeing recipes pop up everywhere! I guess it’s a sign I need to quit being lazy and pick one up from the store next time I go :)

13 Nikita August 6, 2012

I love chocolate zucchini muffins! I will give these a try as soon as it’s cool enough to turn on the oven :)

14 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 6, 2012

Great job on the muffins and on the graphics on the opening picture. Glad that worked for ya :) These little chocolate muffins look so…chomp-able :)

15 Tina August 6, 2012

These looked so good I had to make them right away. Except I didn’t have any zucchinis but I did have some bananas that were over ripe so I substituted them. Just reduced the sugar a bit and they are super yummy too!
Thanks!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

You are fast!! Glad you enjoyed them and good to know they work with banana. How many banana did you use?

17 Heidi kokborg August 6, 2012

They look delicious! I actually love zucchini, and I love to use it whenever I am baking, so I am definetely going to try these muffins :) And I love that they only take 30 minutes to make, so that you actuallt have time to make them for breakfast :)

18 Julia August 6, 2012

Hi Angela! Do you suppose I could sub in soy milk and carob powder? I can’t have chocolate these days. I loved your blog before nursing my second gave me dietary restrictions, now it’s an invaluable resource.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

Hey Julia, For sure you can swap the almond milk for soy milk. As for the carob – it has quite a unique flavour, but if you like the taste, I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Maybe try using a bit less and adding it to taste?

20 Julia August 7, 2012

I do love the taste of carob – I grew up eating it.b

21 suzanne August 6, 2012

These sound amazing! one of my sons like chocolate zucchini bread that we occasionally get as a treat at a local bakery. I made it once and he was not so crazy about mine : (. Hopefullly this will do the trick! (do you think it would work without walnuts ? Unfortunately my boyz do not usually like nuts in things )

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

Yes for sure, you can omit the nuts, it just won’t have a crunch to it.

23 Kristy H August 6, 2012

Wow, these look amazing! I love it when there is chocolate involved and it is so healthy, will have to make these on the weekend if I can wait that long.

24 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 6, 2012

If you figure out what happens to that extra day of weekend, be sure to let me know! Jeez. It’s nuts! Although, now that I’m working 100% on the blog and my nutrition practice, I seem to be losing track of time and days. Everything just kind of meshes together.

I’m not big on zucchini either, I go through phases… but zucchini and chocolate? I think I could most definitely get into the hang of that! Enjoy your time by the water, Angela :)

25 Dani August 6, 2012

I am very jealous of your long weekend, you are so productive on a day off! Do you think you could bake this is a traditional loaf form? Either way they look great!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

I would suggest checking out the zucchini loaf that I linked to. That one is great!

27 K August 6, 2012

great breakfast muffin!!

will try with sucanat or coconut sugar

28 Rachel @ The Vegan Mishmash August 6, 2012

I love zucchini muffins! I usually enjoy them with walnuts, carrots, cinnamon, and raisins, but these look fantastic! I’ll definitely have to try them.

29 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 6, 2012

Wow–those look awesome! And with zucchinis around everywhere right now, it’s the perfect time to try out the recipe. :) I will also look at the loaf recipe!

30 Tricia August 6, 2012

Aw man! I’ve never tried zucchini bread before! I definitely need to get on it! These look amazing! :)

31 Adrienne @ Apples N Adrienne August 6, 2012

They look amazing! Yumm… do you think subbing white whole wheat flour would work?
Thanks :)

32 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 6, 2012

Oh my gosh — those sound AMAZING! :D I’ve heard of putting zucchini in chocolate muffins — what a great way to sneak in your veggies! ;)

33 Living, Learning, Eating August 6, 2012

Those look delicious! I’ve always wondered what the point of whole wheat pastry flour was – thanks for clearing that up!

34 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 6, 2012

Zucchini notoriously take over everyone’s garden this time of year – luckily it’s perfect for throwing in just about anything and everything! :) I’ll have to try a gluten free version of these chocolate muffins!

35 Leanna August 6, 2012

Oh goodness…these look so good! I like how you made it oil-free, especially because store-bought zucchini muffins or carrot cake muffins are always SO oily!

36 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy August 6, 2012

those look just magnificent!! wow yum!!

37 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin August 7, 2012

I loooove zucchini nut bread but have never made anything with chocolate and zucchini! I will have to try these!! Thanks for the great recipe!

38 Suz @ avocadoandbasil August 7, 2012

Oh wow, these look so good. Perfect timing too, just as I was on the look out for zucchini recipes :)

39 Danielle August 7, 2012

Great idea to add cocoa powder! I always have lots of zucchinis to use up in the summer – so much better from the market!

Another good way to eat them – sauteed zucchini and mushrooms with kale. Add some lemon juice and 1/4 cup water to help steam kale. Toss with walnuts and tamari! So good.

40 Joy August 7, 2012

I think this is now at the top of my “recipes to try” list – I have a produce drawer full of zucchini and am quickly running out of ideas for them. Thanks so much for the great idea!

41 Samantha August 7, 2012

Can’t wait to give these a try. I have been making little mini muffins a little healthier for my 5 year old that likes to have a couple as a snack. I love the veggies in it since he is one of those kids that turn their nose up at any and all veggies unless it’s hidden in his food.

42 Jane August 7, 2012

Hi Angela, I am not vegan but I do eat dairy-free. So I was just wondering, can you sub in a regular egg for the flax egg? Or will this give the recipe too much of a different texture? They look delicious!

43 Denise Thaller August 7, 2012

Made this today. Turned out great and I even reduced the sugar and used Coconut Palm Sugar instead. Thanks for the great idea and recipe. I’m spending the day making breakfasts for the kids for the next week as tomorrow starts school here in Florida. Making a bunch of grab and go stuff and I know they’ll LOVE these muffins!!

44 Squash Blossom Babies August 7, 2012

WOW! These look incredible!!

45 Christa @ Edible Balance August 7, 2012

definitely need to try these… such incredible ingredients! I’ll have to sub the cane sugar with coconut sugar (what I have on hand) and use oat/buckwheat/brown rice flour to make them gluten free, I think it will work perfectly!

46 Kathy August 7, 2012

I have kind of a dumb question about flour. I mostly always use whole wheat, sometimes white wheat and on occasion white flour. I just noticed at the store the other day, Walmart had Organic white flour. (We don’t have a large selection of grocery stores & the ones we do have don’t have many organic items). Anyway, I guess I never thought about buying organic flour before. I like to buy as much organic as I can afford, but flour never crossed my mind. Is it hard to find organic whole wheat flours? And is there an advantage to buying that? I have never seen it before. thanks

and I will be making these muffins real soon. Yummy!!

47 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy August 7, 2012

I have a ton of zucchini thanks to my garden. I made these last night and they are great! I even added a scoop of protein powder and handful of blueberries to pump up the health factor. Love the chocolate kick for breakfast! :)

48 Sadie August 7, 2012

These muffins look delicious! They’ll be a great way for me to sneak a vegetable into my brother ;)

49 Laurie-Anne October 29, 2014

Can’t believe I just tried them out but are they ever good :) This totally satisfied my cake batter craving ( dont even want to think about how much I inhaled in a very short time) :)

50 Edith August 7, 2012

Haha I have just made a batch of chocolate zucchini walnut muffins myself….oh…they are so tasty!!!! :)

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 7, 2012

Glad you like them Edith!

52 luv what you do August 7, 2012

Oh Yummy!
I’m hooked on chocolate zucchini bread and would love a batch of these muffins. Great recipe!

53 hannah August 7, 2012

Angela, i just made these and followed your directions to a t. SO GOOD! i used to bake all the time before becoming vegan, and these have inspired me to revisit that love. your blog is a huge inspiration, thank you so much!!

54 Jess August 7, 2012

I don’t have any zucchinis…do you think I could use carrots instead???

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

Hi Jess, the zucchini adds quite a bit of moisture I think and I’d be worried the carrots might dry it out, so im not sure on this one. if you do try it, let me know how it goes.

56 Moni Meals August 8, 2012

I can’t wait to try your version! I have a similar recipe to this but not exactly so it will be great to try this! I am locked and loaded with zucchini this week too. ;) Thanks Ang.

57 Aimee August 8, 2012

I made these the other night and they turned out amazing! I am new to vegan baking and I never imagined a muffin could taste so good without any dairy, eggs or oil!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

Im so happy to hear that Aimee!

59 Michele August 8, 2012

Hi Angela! I want to try these muffins for my kids. I have to sneak veggies into their diet. I’ve been trying to be low sugar for awhile and was using agave. I’ve been reading that this is not a great choice. Can you tell me where I can buy cane sugar?
Thanks! Michele

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

Hey Michele, I buy organic cane sugar since it’s vegan (while regular sugar is often processed with bone char) and I buy it in the natural food section of most grocery stores. You can find the specific brand and other products on my pantry page: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/04/09/my-vegan-pantry/ hope this helps! Angela

61 sara August 8, 2012

these turned out sooo yummy and chocolatey! threw in some extra zucchini too just to use up what i had, and couldn’t even taste the vegetables ;) instead of walnuts used a mix of almonds, pecans, and pumpkin seeds. thanks for the great recipe!

62 Aleesha August 8, 2012

My parents grow ridiculous amounts of zucchini so I always have some in the fridge during the summer. My favorite way to prepare it is to grate it (small zukes work best because they’re less seedy) and saute it with onions and garlic. It has an almost creamy texture when it’s done. My boyfriend and I have made this at least five times already this summer! Yummy :)

63 Sara August 9, 2012

Made these muffins yesterday and love them! I’m going to try a gluten free version next! Thanks for the recipe!

64 Carmel August 11, 2012

Hi Angela,
I baked these muffins this morning. Yum. Delicious and very light, I am working my way through your recipes and so far success and a feast to my taste buds. So far have made kitchen sink nut better, lentil bake, oatmeal peanut butter smoothy to name a few. It is pleasure to follow your blog, to enjoy coking and sharing in an abundance of healthy dishes. Thank you for all the work that you put into trying your recipes before blogging and also for sharing. Congrats on meeting your challenges this month. You inspired me to meet mine. One was to book a shamanic healing session, which I have been putting off. It will make me move forward in life and put aside self imposed excuses for not having the courage to take that leap of faith in myself that I need to take.
I wish you happiness and success . Happy blogging ..

65 Carmie August 11, 2012

They’re in the oven now! Can’t wait. I love zucchini anything so this was right up my alley! Thanks Ang!

66 Carmie August 11, 2012

They puffed up A LOT and look kinda funny but they are delicious! My sister and I agreed they are the perfect breakfast muffin. Thanks again!

67 Britt @Better Living XoXo August 11, 2012

Another great post! Thanks Angela!

68 Rachel @ AlmondsAndAvocados August 12, 2012

Perfect timing!! I have zucchinis coming out of my ears right now–they’re everywhere! These muffins will be a great way to get my step-son to eat some veggies, too :) thanks for the recipe!

69 Ksenija August 15, 2012

Chocolate… and healthy… yum, this one got me! Hopefully I can make them this weekend.

70 Rosa B. August 15, 2012

I made these last night and they turned out great! I used Ghiradelli cocoa powder and used Bob’s Egg Replacer instead of a flax egg (no flax on hand!). I found I had enough batter to fill most of the muffin tins completely full and a few of them 90% full. The muffins still turned out beautifully and I enjoyed one for breakfast this morning. Thanks for another home run recipe!

71 Julie August 15, 2012

I’m new to your blog, but I’ve found that sprouted wheat flour makes absolutely lovely muffins and the like! It is light and fluffy and still whole grain. Have you tried that? I haven’t tried it with this recipe, but have been making a similar blueberry muffin with it and they are really terrific! Hope this is helpful info!

72 Jan Marshall August 15, 2012

These muffins are fabulous!! I didn’t have cocoa powder so I used organic carob powder instead – that was the only substitution – I didn’t even have to loosen them from the muffin pan, they popped right out! Delicious, moist and sweet with the mini chips! Thanks.

73 Dalia August 16, 2012

My daughter and I made these a few days ago. Delicious! Thanks so much.

74 Mariel August 26, 2012

Just wanted to say I’ve already made these muffins five times. My husband loves them and keeps grabbing more zucchini from our CSA so I’ll make more of them. They are a perfect breakfast/snack/dessert!

75 Sarah August 26, 2012

Hi Angela,

These look great but I am not a big fan of cocoa powder. Do you think it would really change the muffins if it was left out?

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012

Hey Sarah, I wouldnt recommend leaving it out – the cocoa powder interacts with the baking soda and ACV in this recipe.

77 Jillana August 29, 2012

These muffins are AMAZING.

78 Meredith September 3, 2012

Angela – Just took these out of the oven. Can’t wait to try! Do you think that you could sub the zucchini with mashed banana?

79 Caroline September 3, 2012

Just made these! They came together really easily and are really delicious… Plus the hubs loves them too! Two excited to find a good oil-free muffin recipe. Oh and btw, I halved the sugar (used 1/4 cup) and didn’t miss the rest at all. Cheers!

80 Rose November 13, 2012

Just made these! Soooo good. Cured my chocolate craving! Love how moist they are!

81 Misty December 21, 2012

These are my all time favorite muffin now! I make these and share and everyone always loves them and asks for the recipe! Just wanted to share, I’ve made these with carrots and zucchini before and they turned out great. I’ve also use reg wholewheat flour and they turn out awesome. Thanks for all your great recipes, I always share your website with people.

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2012

Thank you Misty I appreciate it!

83 Helen January 18, 2013

Do you think these would work using a gluten-free all-purpose flour (specifically the Bob’s Red Mill brand)? These look delicious and I love that they are oil free!

84 Helen January 18, 2013

I just tried these with gluten-free all-purpose flour and they turned out great! I’m glad to have found an awesome muffin recipe! Thank you Angela!

85 Lauren March 4, 2013

Love your recipes. I came upon someone on twitter making muffins with this veggie and was interested to investigate. Im trying to slowly add more veggies I don’t eat into my diet and am thinking of trying these out on the weekend. I think I have an oat or hemp milk at home instead of almond. Hopefully that’s fine. Any advice for using any leftover zucchini for someone new to the veggie?

86 John March 5, 2013

Lauren, you can’t go wrong with zucchini fritters. You can find lots of recipes on the web, Just be aware there is no need to fry them in a lot of oil. A very light spray on a non-stick pan is all you need. Eat those veggies, young lady!

I just took a batch of these muffins out of the oven. I made them once before the holidays and gave them all away. I’ve been wanting to make some to keep ever since, so with a bonus snow-day here in Chicagoland and one lone zucchini on hand I was ready!

87 Laurie Clement March 23, 2013

Hi,
Im so excited about my muffins! So easy to make and they look so good. I just took them out of the oven and cant wait to eat one. Your website has completely inspired me in the kitchen. I have recently become vegan for various reason so these will be perfect for breakfast! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 24, 2013

Thank you Laurie! Congrats on going vegan, I hope you enjoy the muffins :)

89 Julie April 20, 2013

I made these yesterday – didn’t have whole wheat pastry flour so I used 1 cup reg whole wheat and 1 cup reg white flour – They turned out great! I also ground the walnuts in the food processor (to hide them a bit) so my daughter would eat them – she’s 4 and she loves them! Thanks for the yummy recipe!

90 Kate June 9, 2013

Thank you so so much for this awesome recipe! These are so wonderful – they’re healthy tasting enough for breakfast but the chocolate makes them a great dessert too!! I subbed Bob’s Red Mill GF all purpose flour and they turned out great – super light and fluffy :)

91 Lisa July 27, 2013

I used a gluten-free pancake/waffle mix instead of the flour, baking powder and baking soda, and these turned out fantastic! I also subbed coconut milk for the almond milk and again, it worked beautifully. Thanks!

92 yana July 30, 2013

I made these today and they turned out great. I had no maple syrup and they were still sweet enough. made 12 large muffins!

93 Samantha August 1, 2013

What flour would we use if we desired them to be wheat-free? They sound SO good, but the wheat flour throws me off :(

94 adlin August 11, 2013

I tried these last week and am enjoying them (they freeze well). I have been looking for a chocolate muffin recipe and this one did the trick. My full review is here: http://adlinsadventures.blogspot.com/2013/08/recipe-review-chocolate-zucchini-muffins.html

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2013

So glad you enjoyed the muffins – thanks for blogging about them!

96 Megan August 19, 2013

So – it’s a year later since you posted this recipe – but I finally got around to making these yesterday. I’m in love! The whole wheat pastry flour was worth it (which was added to my growing collection of flours in my pantry)! I really love all the recipes you post and I want you to know that I appreciate all the help that Oh She Glows! has been in the past year since I transitioned to being plant-based. Thanks!

97 Mary Anne September 17, 2013

I made these muffins for our Vegan Food & Wellness Fair.
I made them sugar free. I substituted the came sugar with dates.
I soaked 1/2 cup pitted dates with 3-4 Tbsp hot water to make a smooth paste
It gives the muffins some added fibre and makes them moist.
They were awesome !!!

98 Jana October 24, 2013

So tasty, great muffin. I made few changes. I measured less sugar, only 1 cup almond milk, used chocolate almond milk and added 1/4 of unsweetened apple sauce and used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup coconut flour.

99 Stephanie G. October 28, 2013

These are fantastic! Had a little trouble getting them to cook on the inside but just kept them in longer and turned up to 375. I did have a little extra zucchini so maybe that was what did it. Really great with my morning coffee and veggie juice. I have been trying your recipes over the past few weeks and I am blown away at how great they are! I’m a big fan! ;)

100 Jessica November 19, 2013

These are AWESOME! I left out the nuts and made mini muffins instead. I got 52, making them just 25 calories per mini muffin! Thanks, Angela!

101 Jessica November 19, 2013

woops, left the flour out of my nutrition calc. 40 calories/mini muffin.

102 Kerry January 29, 2014

I love your website! I’m new to the whole vegan and gluten-free style of baking, but everything on your site is so easy to follow and always ends up turning out like your pictures! Quick question – what would you recommend to do for saving these muffins? Are they able to be refrigerated? I could seriously eat all of them now, they turned out so well…just trying to prevent myself from doing just that!!! :) Thanks!

103 Danielle February 11, 2014

My partner and I have been making a batch of these muffins every week for the last month and a half… They are absolutely amazing. I’ve been sending the recipe to everyone I know!

Fantastic recipe as always! Looking forward to receiving your cookbook in March :).

104 Shelley February 24, 2014

Would I be able to use Almond or oat flour? I am starting to realize I have a sensitivity to gluten.

105 Marie-Claude March 17, 2014

Sooo delicious! I just made these and i tried to eat only one but i couldn`t resist :) These are so moist and perfect! Angela, you are incredible !

106 Leslie April 8, 2014

Could I sub coconut palm sugar for cane sugar?

107 Elisa April 15, 2014

Just made these and they were de-lish! We are avoiding processed sugar, so I used a 1/2 cup maple syrup instead of the 1/2 cup sugar and they turned out great. My 3 yr old son is gobbling them up. Perfect amount of sweetness, such a healthy, but yummy treat.

108 sue b April 27, 2014

These were delicious, and oh so healthy! I substituted the white flour with brown rice flour, protein powder, flaxseed and sorghum. I didn’t add nuts but did sub cocoa nibs instead of chocolate chips.

109 Terri May 7, 2014

I just made these and they are deleesh! What else can I use as an egg replacer besides the flax? I don’t enjoy the flavor of flax so would chia seeds work as we’ll?

110 Terri May 12, 2014

I made these a few days ago and they rocked my world! Quick , easy and delicious. They are all gone.

111 maddie July 15, 2014

great recipe! i’m allergic to walnuts so i subbed chopped medjool dates and made chocolate zucchini date muffins instead :-)
also used gf all-purpose flour to make them gluten free and they turned out well.

112 amy August 25, 2014

Hi I tried making these..nay be it was the type of flour I used (white whole wheat) but they came out very dense and weren’t very chocolatey. I even increased the apple cider vinegar to encourage the bubbling reaction with baking soda (i usually use 2 tbs for sweet bread and cupcakes and it always works well. ) I’ll try again maybe with half white flour, more cocoa and just use baking soda and no baking powder. Great idea and lovely photography though!

113 Kelly September 10, 2014

I made two batches this afternoon! They are moist and tender and the chocolate smell is wonderful!

114 Kali September 13, 2014

I set out to make a double batch this morning to take to a meeting, and ended up with 24 muffins plus so much leftover batter that I made a small loaf of bread as well. These are some very tasty muffins, thanks so much! Mine looked just like the ones in your picture. I am puzzled as to why I had so much extra batter, but will be happy to have more to eat!

115 Leslie September 20, 2014

I just made this recipe and the results were fantastic. So good and so easy. I only needed to add extra time in the oven. Also, my kids ate them, of course I didn’t tell them there was zucchini in the muffins.
Thank you!

116 Michele September 21, 2014

Loved this recipe – used less sugar, and made a batch of mini muffins, and a “loaf” – totally cannot stop eating them!
Yum. Thanks for the delicious, no oil, vegan recipe!

117 Leslie September 24, 2014

These sound perfect for my ‘what to do with all this zucchini’ plan.
Do you think I could sub in oat flour for ww?

118 Lynn in MD October 1, 2014

I just wanted to let you know that everyone in my household (me, husband, and 3 elementary school aged boys) all love these muffins. I’ve made this recipe more times than I can count. Thank you so much for a delicious low-fat vegetarian recipe that makes everyone happy!

119 Dani October 9, 2014

how can i make these gluten free? what flour would you recommend using?

120 chelsea November 12, 2014

Hey!! Just made these and the are AMAZING!
Just curious how you store yours after?? I like keeping them out to stay moist but I wasnt sure becuase of certain ingredients.

Thanks! :)

121 Donelle November 16, 2014

Delicious! For an extra nutritional boost I doubled the quantity of zucchini and threw in some chia seeds to absorb the moisture. Also tried it as a brownie because I’m too lazy to clean muffin pans – worked a treat!

122 Natasha November 22, 2014

I just made these but replaced the zucchini with banana as had no zucchinis. OMG, they are deliciious. I will try with zuccchini very soon as have growing in my garden atm.

123 Gillian December 17, 2014

I made these today and found the batter to be extremely thick. I followed your recipe exactly in the book (substituting lemon for apple cider vinegar). They turned out very dense and not quite as I had expected! Has anyone experienced this before?

124 Elle Willson December 1, 2015

mine where overly dense too, for me i think it was because my milk didn’t curdle enough, that may be the same reason for you?

125 Natasha January 13, 2015

Made these the other night as I was craving some chocolate goodness. They turned out perfect and dealt with my chocolate fix :P My family loved them too. Thanks for this recipe-will definitely make them again :)

126 Fay February 11, 2015

Good day girls,
I just finish this recepie. It amazing good! But, i want to know if i can freeze thems. Can someone clarify for me please. Because i want to stack up on these babys
Thanks

127 Tiffany February 13, 2015

I’ve put many of my muffins and bars in the freezer and they all just as amazing when I take them out. I’m sure the same applies to this recipe too.

128 Haley March 3, 2015

I love these so much. They really do give an energy boost and they are so light. They never leave me feeling bloated or icky like other dessert recipes. I do not like them with the walnuts though.

129 Aileen May 20, 2015

Hi Angela – I LOVE these muffins but I find they go moldy very quickly – Do you have any tips for storage so they last a bit longer?
Thanks :)

130 Robin June 1, 2015

I keep mine loosely covered on the counter for the first day, in an airtight container the day after, and in the freezer any time after that. They thaw in minutes and are a great easy treat!

131 Todd May 27, 2015

This recipe looks fantastic and I am eager to make it this weekend. Actually I am eager to make most of these recipes in your cookbook. That being said, have you ever tried making these gluten free with gluten free flour in place of the whole wheat flour? Do you think I can do that with a cup for cup replace?

Thanks

132 Liz June 26, 2015

I made it with GF flour and used the Namaste brand. I also subbed 1/2 cup of the flour for protein powder and it was AMAZING!

133 Crunchycake June 17, 2015

I had too many zucchinis, a four year old hankering for a “project,” a two year old who no longer wants to eat vegetables, half a lemon with no purpose and some walnuts that I’m worried will go rancid soon. This fit the bill oh-so-perfectly! Thank you!

134 Liz June 26, 2015

I subbed 1/2 cup of the flour for some protein powder! SOOO good! It made the muffins bigger and taste less GF, new favorite! : )

135 Nicole August 27, 2015

Just made these, delicious! Even without chocolate chips – because I had none :(

Although, I feel like they need a spice of some sort, perhaps nutmeg?

136 Robyn September 7, 2015

We love these and my husband still doesn’t believe me when I say there is no oil. Thanks for sharing!

137 boo September 20, 2015

HI! If we wanted to make these gluten free, what kind of flour would you suggest?

138 Yvonne October 17, 2015

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Just baked it this morning and it turned out great. Prepped the ingredients the night before and they were ready just in time for breakfast. Shredded zucchini night before and put them in fridge. Had to add about 5 more minutes to baking time and they were awesome!

139 The Cook November 9, 2015

What a great recipe! I don’t make non-gluten-free recipes too often, but I’m glad I gave this one a try. These muffins have the perfect texture and are not too sweet, so I can still enjoy them with a pat of Earth Balance and jam without going overboard with sweetness. :)

140 Elle Willson December 1, 2015

just made them and they were delicious! I used oat milk instead of almond milk, so the milk didn’t curdle well, and I used spelt flour instead of whole wheat. They were a little more dense than they should have been since I messed up the recipe a little, but the flavor itself was great!

141 Jenn December 8, 2015

I just made a batch of these muffins and they are amazing! The zucchini makes them so moist. I substituted cane sugar with coconut sugar and used all-purpose wheat free flour. They turned out perfectly! Definitely a recipe I’ll be reusing, thanks for the great work, Angela :)

142 Amanda December 18, 2015

Hi there! this is one of my favorite baking recipes i make it all the time :) i would like to make it for the holidays but my friend is gluten free- any way i could make this gluten free? Thank you so much!

143 Tony January 7, 2016

Made these from the book, using Sukrin Gold instead of sugar (type 2 diabetes), and omitting the walnuts, absolutely delicious, went down a treat with the family, and only 136 cals!

144 Amanda February 7, 2016

Hi!
I will be making these this week as I made them awhile ago and remember loving them so much! However I had all purpose whole wheat flour and wanted to make sure they would turn out just as good if I use that instead of whole wheat pastry flour? – Thank you!

Amanda

145 T. February 22, 2016

I’ve had a wonderful time the last couple of months exploring your cookbook! I tried these for the first time yesterday, and unfortunately, even after baking for more than double the recommended time, the centre’s were still doughy/wet. I’m sure I made a mistake somewhere! The only substitution I made was regular granulated sugar for the cane sugar. I’m hoping someone else made a similar mistake to me at some point and figured out what it was! I am a bit suspicious after reading the comments about whether I may have inadvertently added 1 tsp of baking powder rather than 1 tbsp – maybe that is the culprit!

146 Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Hi there, I’m so happy to hear you’ve been enjoying the cookbook so far! It’s too bad, though, that the muffins didn’t quite turn out. My guess is that you’re right, and it’s the 1 tsp versus 1 tbsp of baking powder that’s the culprit (2 teaspoons less than called for can have a huge effect in vegan baking), assuming oven temperature was where it should be. If you give the recipe another shot, please let me know how it goes!

147 Nicola March 7, 2016

It’s zucchini-glut season here in NZ and I made these to use up a couple! I substituted gluten-free baking mix for the flour, left out the salt and cut down the baking powder. They are DIVINE!

Thanks so much for the recipe Angela – it’s definitely a keeper. Going to share with my tribe!

Nicola

148 Helen March 10, 2016

Love them! Since changing our diet for health reasons (which has meant WFPB style) I have tried quite a few recipes that would suffice for giving kids when we feel like a baked treat. Sadly many recipes to date have not been successful (or they contain too much oil for our liking) until we found your blog and bought your cook book. In this recipe I used 85% chocolate and also supplemented some cacao powder with some carob powder, but followed everything else to the letter. They were so much lighter than other cake style recipes (even with whole wheat flour), and just the perfect amount of sweetness. Thank you for spending the time coming up with these yummy recipes. We’re eating your empowered two way noodle bowl tonight, and just finished making your almond milk recipe.

149 Angela Liddon March 10, 2016

Hi Helen, I’m so happy you’ve been enjoying the blog and cookbook. Thank you for taking the time to let me know! It’s always wonderful to hear my recipes are helping someone enjoy a satisfying transition to a more plant-based diet.