Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

IMG 2817 2   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

When we moved earlier this year, we parted with a lot of household and personal items so we could fit into our new space. Parting with stuff also helped us stage the house – less clutter and personal items translates into a more “showable” house and we had a lot of positive feedback from prospective buyers.

IMG 1571   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

In this case below, we actually had to add furniture and things. It was previously an empty entryway if some of you recall.

IMG 1537   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

The best way to de-clutter is to do it in waves. Normally, I’d say “just rip the bandage off in one quick motion”, but with de-cluttering there really is a mental shift that has to occur over time. We’d go through each room 3-5 times over the span of a few months. Each time, it got a bit easier to get rid of things, and then a bit easier still. It was a freeing experience to finally get rid of things we didn’t even know were weighing us down. I was concerned that I would regret giving some things away, but 4 months later, those items haven’t entered my mind. I actually can’t even remember what we gave away!! I guess that’s a good sign that they weren’t necessities.

Well, I did think about one donation actually – my juicer! Even though my juicer was looking busted from plenty of use, I still debated whether I would regret giving it away. And I’ll admit, a few times this summer it has longingly crossed my mind. Then I remember my kitchen storage situation – and I’m thankful I don’t have to find a place to cram it.

The one thing I do not want to ever part with is my blender. I use my Vitamix every.single.day. without fail, sometimes multiple times a day if I’m testing certain recipes. They are costly machines, but when I factor in how much I use it, the quality, and the 7 year warranty, it’s worth it for me. I even use it in the colder months – it’s great for blending soups and sauces (think Butternut Squash mac and cheeze) and I still like to get my smoothie fix in the winter, bundled up in a sweater of course.

IMG 2974   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

Recently, I heard about making juices with a Vitamix. You blend vegetables in the Vitamix and then strain the liquid through an old pair of tights, nut milk bag, or cheesecloth. This strains out the fibre from the juice, much like a traditional juicer would (Ange has a great tutorial here).

The one thing I never liked about juicing was all the leftover pulp. I would sometimes use it in soups or my vegetable garden compost, but there were many times when I couldn’t find a use for it. I like the idea of using a Vitamix to juice, but to be honest, I can’t see myself patient enough to strain the juice each time and then find a use for the pulp. I decided to just try it without straining to see if it was decent enough to enjoy.

IMG 2963   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

Surprisingly, it was decent! And I got hooked on adding all kinds of veggies into the blender. My vegetable consumption has gone way up by adding one of these drinks in a day and I love that I’m still getting all the fibre. It’s hotly debated right now whether smoothies or juices are better for the body, but I think both have their place in a healthy diet.

I wouldn’t recommend this recipe without a heavy duty blender, but if you do attempt it, I suggest blending it on the highest setting for at least a couple minutes. Keep in mind that even with my Vitamix, the texture is still thick (the best way to describe the texture is “foamy”) – keep in mind we’re blending whole veggies and fruit. If your blender can’t get the vegetables smooth, I suggest straining it through a cheesecloth.

I’ve been making all kinds of veggie combos, but here is an easy one to get started with. It’s lightly sweetened with an apple and has a kick of grapefruit in there for a little zing. The bright pink colour is so gorgeous it’s hard to believe it’s all from 1/2 a tiny beet.

IMG 2814 2   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

Neon Pink Smoothie Juice

I call this smoothie juice because it’s a cross between a smoothie and a veggie juice. The texture comes out thick and foamy, but you have the added benefits of the fibre in there to move the digestive track right along. These juices aren’t overly sweet or filling, so I enjoy them as an addition to a normal breakfast or simply as a refreshing drink on its own.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 2.5 cups

Ingredients:

• 1/2 English cucumber, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1/2 small raw beet, peeled & roughly chopped
  • 1 apple, cored & roughly chopped
  • Fresh Grapefruit juice, to taste (I used 6 tbsp fresh grapefruit juice) or other citrus to taste
  • 3-5 ice cubes

1. In a high-speed blender, add the cucumber and blend on low speed to break it up. Now add the beet and apple. Blend, starting on a lower speed, and gradually increase the speed. I used my Vitamix plunger stick a lot to push it down and stir it as it was coming together. If needed, add a bit of water.

2. Blend on highest speed for 1-2 minutes. Add in citrus juice to taste and about 4 ice cubes. Blend again until smooth.

3. Serve immediately.

20120731 124720   Neon Pink Smoothie “Juice”

I also make green/brown ones using various things like kale, cucumbers, avocado, celery, carrots, oranges, apples, etc. I add in some water if needed to get it going. Sometimes I also throw in a tablespoon of chia seeds for extra nutrition.

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 2, 2012

That color is amazing! I can’t wait to try this.

Dasha18 March 20, 2014

My food processor worked fine for these smoothies.

Chrissy August 2, 2012

Have you considered roasting the beet first? I wonder if that would make it a little more smooth. We have a lot of beets from our CSA and besides adding roasted beet puree to pizza dough, I’m looking for more ways to prepare them – this looks great!

I thought of your August challenge last night when there were two bats in my house, one circling me in bed at 2 a.m. I did not face that fear and stayed huddled under the sheets while the man of the house took care of the situation!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

I don’t know if I could face bats either! hah. Hope it’s resolved now.
I can’t see why you couldnt cook the beet first!

Sara Jane August 2, 2012

Love my vitamix!! Making this when I get a chance!!

Lisa August 2, 2012

The blendtec actually has a “whole juice” button on it – it makes amazing juice using all the fruit, veggies and fiber! I’ll have to throw a beet in there next time to get that neon color!!

DessertForTwo August 2, 2012

I’ve been living on smoothie/juices this summer. I made one with watermelon this morning that was delicious. Thanks for the inspiration :)

LIndsay @ Fit with Farrar August 2, 2012

Thank you for the info/additional link about using Vitamix as a juicer. My husband (the other half of Fit with Farrar) and myself makes smoothies daily, so it would get plenty of use from that alone, but it’s good to know we could experiment with juicing with it too!

Katie August 2, 2012

I LOVE decluttering! One thing my boyfriend and I decided not to have in our new place is a microwave. Surprisingly enough, in a year and a half, we’ve realized we only “thought we needed” it maybe 2 times. It’s pretty amazing what you actually need VS what you think you need when it comes down to it. :)

(Your house looked absolutely amazing! :) )

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

That’s a good point! We gave up our microwave when we moved earlier this year. The biggest thing I’ve missed is reheating leftovers, but heating on the stovetop or occasionally the oven is second nature now. I really don’t “miss” it though.

Tiffany @ eat clean work dirty August 2, 2012

Have you noticed how much better left-overs taste, though? That’s the first thing I noticed after our microwave died and we decided not to get a new one. The only bummer is how long it takes to reheat on stove-top or in the oven…

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

I have noticed the food isn’t as rubbery for sure, but I haven’t really thought about a taste difference!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 2, 2012

I could never part with my Vtiamix either! I use it for everything – I think when I first got it I used it every meal for a week. :)

It does do the job for juicier drinks, though I don’t even bother to strain it. It gets everything so fine on its own! Greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2012

Oh my goodness, I could do with one of these right about now!!! I love veggie juice (and decluttering too!!) and use my Vitamix daily as well. Initially I debated getting a juicer and hanging on to my older Cuisinart blender, which to be honest, still makes a good back-up in the event that I’d ever need it. But eventually I realized that the Vitamix pretty much does it all, so there’s no need to buy yet another gadget! I agree with you on the idea that decluttering should be done in waves. It’s like one day you can’t bear the thought of parting with something, but give it a few months and you still haven’t touched it… that’s a signal to me that it’s time for it to go!

Catalina @ Cake with Love August 2, 2012

Love the color, and I love beets in my juice/smoothies! They add such a nice sweetness ane great nutrition too!

Mandiee August 2, 2012

I love fresh juice, too, but I decided to get a Vita-Mix rather than a juicer because of its functionality. I’ve heard of using a cheesecloth to make juice with it, but I don’t have the patience either! Thank you so much for posting this recipe so I can finally get my juice on. I definitely love me some fiber, so the foamy texture is actually a plus for me (without being too sweet like a smoothie). I would absolutely love if you could post the recipe for your green “juices,” or at least post/comment what some combinations are that you’ve had luck with. I’ll be taking my Vita-Mix with me to college at the end of this month, so I’m looking forward to having an easy way to drink my fruits and veggies on the go without paying extreme prices for fresh juice at the nearby market.

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Hey Mandiee, Glad you enjoyed the post! I haven’t been taking note of my green juice recipes because I usually just throw anything I have sitting around in. I find an apple is a nice addition if you want it lightly sweetened. I usually do kale (1 leaf), cucumber (1/2 large english), 1 med. carrot, lemon (not too much), celery etc. I’ll post one if I come up with a great combo!

Kira S October 28, 2013

Hi! I have been positively HOOKED on your blog the past few days. Budding vegan/vegetarian here. You’re really inspiring me to get a food blog going since I’m down 70 lbs now (went UP for a dismal hiccup in my life and am back to highschool weight!) just from “diet” change. Frankly, I call it a lifestyle change because I believe what we call diets just go nowhere and make food the enemy! So glad to see someone else agrees!

Anyhoo, I have a Ninja Kitchen Pro blender and don’t know how I lived without it! They run as low as $60 and it does an amazing job pulverizing fruits and veggies for juices/smoothies. It was a leap of faith, but for my first green smoothie I panicked and threw half my kitchen in. Bit it turned out great! Even my veggie skeptic roommates like it. So I call it “The Kitchen Sink Smoothie”:

1 Cucumber
3 leaves kale
1 apple (Honeycrisp gives the perfect taste and consistency, but Fuji or Gala would work)
Handful of Grapes
1 Kiwi (this has been my skeleton key to green monster smoothies. It gives the sour and sweet and consistency just goes perfectly with what may otherwise feel like extra vegetable pulp)
2 tsp flax meal or chia seeds (the crunch of it is hidden by the kiwi!)
(Optional 1 carrot and/or 1 Banana. Surprisingly you can do both and extra plus is it’s as filling as a meal!)

Give it a whirl and you’ll feel like you had a filling salad!

PS – GREAT way to keep kale for smoothie purposes – blend it up with just water, pour it in ice cube trays, and when it freezes you can dump them in a plastic bag to store in the freezer and throw usually 2-4 “Kale Cubes” in (depending on how strong you want it) and it adds extra fluid and frothy consistency from the melting ice.

I look forward to seeing you in this cyberspere again soon. Hopefully with my own blog!

Cheers,
Kira

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hey Kira, Thank you for your kind words!
I love your smoothie tips – thanks for sharing :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 2, 2012

Decluttering is something everyone should do. We live in a small house on purpose because if I had a big one, I’d fill it! This way, we’re forced to chuck out the old to make room for the new.

The smoothie looks wonderful! Such a gorgeous color. Is it weird I suddenly want to look for linen napkins in that color for Fall?

Carla Ioshiura August 2, 2012

Hi Angela!!! I have been following your blog for some months now but it is the first time I leave a comment! I love EVERYTHING in your posts! The recipes are always delicious, at least all the recipes I have tried were! And believe me, I have tried A LOT of your recipes!!!!

I also LOVE your posts because you are always so natural, so lovely! And the new layout of the blog is GREAT!!!

Thank you for making my days (and my meals!) better!!!

ps>> right now I’m enjoying a delicious bowl of your Carrot, Ginger and Apple soup! OMG! This one is fabulous!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Carla, that means so much to me! Thank you for letting me know.

Jasmin August 2, 2012

Oh geez I love that soup! I had it all the time for lunch at school last winter!

Elizabeth August 2, 2012

If you don’t have a super-powered blender (I have a nice cuisinart), grating veggies, instead of chopping, before blending works quite well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Really? Great tip!!

Christa @ Edible Balance August 2, 2012

‘They don’t always taste amazing, but they sure are quick and make me feel great.’ <—Amen sister… couldn't have said it better!!

I juice every single morning, and honestly it's given me the energy and buzz I need to start the day, no caffeine required for this girl!! I have yet to juice in my Vitamix, as I have a Hurom juicer as well, but I agree with your comment on the pulp. Gena (Choosing Raw) has a fabulous recipe for raw almond/juice pulp bread that I've made a few times, but I'm not always able to spend time doing that after juicing because I'm already late for work ;)

Will have to try this gorgeous smoothie juice of your soon!

Y.S. August 2, 2012

One use of the leftover pulp is making flax seed crackers out of them. I loved them at a local vegan restaurant and was excited to find the recipe in their cookbook. It calls for a dehydrator but I’ve read that you can use the oven at a low temperature for a long period. Being as I have to think about utility bills, I haven’t made them yet. http://www.amazon.com/Am-Grateful-Recipes-Lifestyle-Gratitude/dp/1556436475

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures August 2, 2012

I make juice in my Vitamix several times a week. It is such a pain to clean juicers, and the Vitamix cleans up in just a minutes or two.

Courtney August 2, 2012

I have a Blendtec and it does a great job with the veggies too! I like to use carrots and zucchini in my smoothies/juices. If you freeze chunks of zucchini, you can use it like you would ice cubes or frozen fruits. It’s a great way to use up some of your harvest if you have an abundance of zucchini at the end of season. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

I was just wondering about zucchini today and wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I’ll have to try a few chunks in there.

Courtney August 2, 2012

I’ve used it quite a bit and I don’t taste/feel a difference. I have also used yellow squash with the same results.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

good to know!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely August 2, 2012

the color alone makes me happy! de-cluttering is so therapeutic for me & i, like you, rarely ever miss what i’ve thrown/donated. having less stuff makes for a more simple life in my opinion. never thought to use the blender to make juices. i actually would like to try the straining method, as i’m not a fan of pulling out the juicer often.

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 2, 2012

my juicer has not been used since 2009 or 10 and it was really expensive and I bought it thinking somehow i needed it or it was going to be as amazing as my vita. wrong. I have hardly used it and like you, use my Vita every.single.day. The ease of cleanup, what it can do, I will never part with it!

Glad you were able to donate/declutter/purge your stash and you don’t even miss the stuff!

Bonnie August 2, 2012

I love that first photo, the juice looks beautiful against the dark wood! The recipe sounds so healthy and refreshing, I’d really like to try it but I fear my immersion blender wouldn’t be up to the task. I’ve tried making apple and carrot juice like this before but it remained chunky and not good at all. But I’ll give it another try!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) August 2, 2012

I love my juicer but I only have time to use it on weekends. I make pulp muffins with my leftover pulp and I’m totally addicted. I’m hoping to post a recipe at some point.

Tiffany @ eat clean work dirty August 2, 2012

Ah! Another reason I NEED a Vitamix! I have a cheap blender, but that’s all I can afford right now… :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Maybe they will send you one to review? :)

Willow August 2, 2012

Beautiful color! I don’t have a vitamix, but my old LeQuip blender is right up there in power… I’ve never tried throwing whole veggies into it, though – I’ll have to give it a try! I’ve often longed for a juicer, but have the same space problem and wouldn’t know where to put it half the time… it would probably end up living on my counter, getting in my way. Oh, wait, that’s what all my other appliances are doing… :P

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) August 2, 2012

Yum, that looks amazing! We love juicing. Don’t have a Vitamix (yet!!), but we have a juicer and we throw in what we have around. Our staples are: kale and/or spinach, carrots, a lemon, a couple of apples, then some of what we’ve got on hand: part of a beet, red cabbage (this is pretty new for me), parsley, cucumber, an orange, etc. To date, I still haven’t used the pulp, though I’ve heard it’s great in pasta sauce, salsa, muffins, etc. Maybe someday…

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life August 2, 2012

What a great “unofficial” Healthy Living Thirsty Thursday recipe :) I too feel bad sometimes wasting all the pulp when juicing. But what I love about the juice only versions is how thin and smooth they are. I’m not a big fan of any foaminess. I am dying for a Vitamix though. And you’re making it sound totally worth the $$!! Now if I can just sell the idea to my hubby :)

kim@hungryhealthygirl August 2, 2012

What a beautiful smoothie! I made a beet smoothie a few weeks ago and it was a little strong for my taste…..maybe I added a bit too much beet. I sooooo would like to have a vitamix. I should consider putting it on my Christmas list. ;)

Colleen August 2, 2012

I just ordered a reconditioned Vitamix (you can order them from the company, cheapest option), and I am so excited! Our food processor died, and I realized that 80% of what I use it for could work in a Vitamix, and needs a strong motor, so we are going to try to simplify to just that plus knives and mandoline for now, and eliminate our old blender also. If it turns out down the road that we can’t live without a food processor, I can pick up a yard sale one and not worry about killing the motor on the tougher stuff like nut butters.

luv what you do August 2, 2012

Awesome recipe! I just got my first juicer…it is a hand-me-down and I can’t wait to give it a try. A hot pink smoothie seems to be the way to go!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 2, 2012

The color is amazing!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 2, 2012

So healthy! This is such a great treat!

Anna August 2, 2012

I need a better blender! I just cannot quite make a good drink with mine. Good for most things — but not that! I do it anyway, but they’re never quite as smooth as I wish they were!

I like that you acknowledge that they don’t always taste great. I feel like a lot of bloggers rave about the taste of drinks like this — and I just don’t always love mine. I was thinking it was me — but I’m glad you seem to be on the same page. They make me feel so great that I don’t really care either way, though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

hah I’ve definitely made some bad ones, but like you, drink them anyways because I know how great I feel and don’t want to waste. I will pretty much drink anything when it comes down to it. I’ve been known to mix wheatgrass powder and maca powder in water and drink it straight (not good!)

Erin August 2, 2012

I hope you will include some of these recipes in your cookbook! They look sooo healing :)

Tegan K. August 2, 2012

Angela,
I use my vitamix for the doing the samething. What I have found is that if you add 2 cups of water to your mixture it turns out really well! Also if it seems a little green a banana will always do the trick. I would never thought I would say this but my husband loves his green juice smoothies! I think our favorite so far was banana, mango grape and kale :)

Antonia August 2, 2012

Hi Angela!

That smoothie juice looks awesome!

I’m currently researching purchasing a vitamix or a blendtec. Just wondering if you had tried the blendtec or had any recommendations?

Thanks!

Kristy H August 2, 2012

That pink is looks stunning, I wish I was having one of those for breakfast. Not sure if my blender could handle it but we will soon find out.

Maria August 2, 2012

My husband and I just watched a documentary on juicing and thought about buying one, but like you, our kitchen just doesn’t have the bandwidth.

Luckily, I have a Vitamix. Can’t wait to try this combination, especially since I just read about how Olympic athletes are drinking beet juice for a natural performance boost.

Dani August 2, 2012

I love adding beets for the colour. Its so satisfying to have a gorgeous coloured drink with no horrible additives in it….all natural! Well done with your de-cluttering also. I have moved internationally twice and it was so hard to part with things. There were tears on my first voyage! After you rid yourself of all that junk you don’t need it is soooo liberating. Oh and also an excuse to but shiny new kitchen gadgets!

Ellen Clifford August 2, 2012

I love how all natural ingredients can create the most unreal colors in things! I’m jealous of the vitamix, I love my immersion blender like nothin else but it doesn’t handle ice…

Living, Learning, Eating August 2, 2012

I tend to loathe beets, but that smoothie is such a pretty color that I really want one anyway! Love your new blog design, by the way :)

Page 1 of 212»