Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

IMG 2338 2   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

When I was in Calgary visiting my family, my sis made me a peanut butter oatmeal smoothie one morning for breakfast. I sipped on it (trying my best not to inhale it because it was so good), while I made my nephews “Auntie Angie’s” special pancakes, of course with their eager help. And chocolate chips! Between the smoothie my sis made me and my nephews undying love for their Auntie, I felt a bit like a hero that morning. When I was back in Ontario, I found myself making it for a week straight to comfort my homesick self.

After mentioning it on the blog, I received a few requests for the recipe so I thought I would make a version at home and share it with you. This recipe today is more of a dessert version of my sister’s breakfast smoothie, but I will tell you what she put in the breakfast version: almond milk, a heaping tablespoon of natural peanut butter, rolled oats (I think she probably used 1/4 cup?), a large banana, and ice. The rolled oats really help thicken it up and give it a bit more staying power. She also likes to add in a tbsp of coconut oil for its health benefits, and in her own smoothie she also adds honey and Greek yogurt.

IMG 2332   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

This recipe today is a cross between my Peanut Butter Crunch Blizzard and Kristi’s PB Oatmeal breakfast smoothie. Oh boy, it’s a doozy! In my blizzard recipes, I made banana soft serve in the processor for the “ice cream” base, but in this one, I made it smoothie style for a larger serving size. Like in my blizzard recipes, the key here is to use frozen bananas for an ice cream like texture. I also added chia seeds instead of oats for thickening and made some quick and easy PB crunch balls.

After pouring the smoothies into glasses, I crumbled the peanut butter balls into the smoothie and ate it with a spoon! All by myself, I might add, because Eric loathes peanut butter. I’m pretty sure if he hears me beg, “JUST TRY IT, You can grow to LOVE peanut butter, I promise!” one more time, he may divorce me.

IMG 2343   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Where’s a PB lovin’ sis when you need her?!

I had every good intention of saving the second smoothie for tonight’s dessert, but I quickly threw that plan out the window when I guzzled it at 6:45am this morning. There is no hope for me.

IMG 2329   Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 3 cups

for the smoothies:

• 2 cups almond milk
  • 2 large frozen ripe bananas
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • ice, if desired
  • Peanut butter crunch balls (below), crumbled on top

for the peanut butter crunch balls: (yield: 19-20 mini bites)

• 1 cup rolled oats, ground into flour (or use 1 cup + 2 tbsp oat flour)
  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup rice crisp cereal

1. In the blender, grind the rolled oats into a flour or just use oat flour. In a food processor, process together the ingredients for the crunch balls (except for the rice crisp cereal). Adjust to taste. If batter is dry, add a touch more liquid. Stir in the cereal and form into tiny balls. I made about 19. Store leftovers in freezer.

2. In a blender, add the smoothie ingredients, except for the crunch balls, and blend until smooth. Add ice if desired. Pour into two glasses and top with crumbled crunch balls. Serve immediately with a spoon!

Beks July 13, 2012

I don’t understand people who don’t like peanut butter. Allergic, I get, but just plain don’t like it? I’m obsessed with nuts to the point that if I were ever to develop a nut allergy, I’d die a happy person, because I’d never stop eating them. :D

But, more for you. LOL

Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 13, 2012

Right?! Who doesn’t like PB?!

Zestful Lou July 13, 2012

That’s exactly what I’m thinking! HOW DOES HE NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER!?!?????? I’m freaking out about it a little. I just don’t understand. I feel so helpless.

Kai July 14, 2012

*Raises hand slowly* Me.
Yes, I admit it; I don’t like peanut butter, and you know what, it frustrates me quite a lot, actually. I want to like it, but it makes me almost gag. Actually it’s like this with all nut butters, which sucks cause that’s a good source of protein for a vegetarian like me. I force it down anyways though. Although I have been trying to introduce myself to peanut butter slowly; I actually ate two spoonfuls today with little after effects, only this horrible feeling that it was stuck all over my insides. lol. I wish I could eat nuts like it was candy, but sadly, I have a love-hate relationship with them, so sad.

Maybe I will try this recipe, and hopefully, I can finally come to love peanut butter.

Melissa February 21, 2013

I do not like PB either. I am not born in US, so maybe that is the reason I do not like it. I moved to US when I was 19, then I tried PB and I did not like it. I have been trying it many times (I do like it a little bit in a smoothie or chocolate bar), howver I could not eat it by itself.
P.S. I like almond butter, so I usually use that instead.

Ellen July 21, 2013

I didn’t like peanut butter growing up, though I spent a lot of time overseas and did not have as much exposure to it and most Americans. When I got into my mid-20s, I suddenly loved it! Go figure. I make peanut butter smoothies very often and this version looks great.

kaila@ healthy helper blog! July 13, 2012

I LOVE the peanut butter balls on top! I always tops my smoothies with something crunchy and those sound PERFECT!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 13, 2012

Oh wow, this is such a coincidence because last night, I had an incredibly random dream about Blizzards at Dairy Queen!! I used to get the Skor one all the time but now peanut butter is sounding far more appealing. And those crunchy dough ball things….. I have no words. :) Happy Friday Ange!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 13, 2012

Oh yeah baby! I’m SO making this. Just ignore that some chocolate chips might find their way on top. :) Happy Friday!

Emily July 13, 2012

That looks incredible! Thank goodness my husband and I both adore PB! My cousin’s husband also hates it-I just don’t get it! Maybe if you threw in some chocolate for him?

erin June 18, 2013

I make a similar one with the dark chocolate almond milk…so good!

Kasandra July 13, 2012

Well, thanks to this lovely blog post, I now have an EPIC craving for peanut butter. Looks unreal, and can’t wait to have a peanut-butter-bomb hangover myself ;)

Katie @wishandwhimsy July 13, 2012

This sounds SO good. My mouth is watering. I can’t wait to make one (and save the other for another time!)

Steph July 13, 2012

This sounds horrible – NOT. :) mmmmmm. I think I’ll go put some bananas in the freezer now.

Jill July 13, 2012

Wow! Delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 13, 2012

Make 2 servings? That’s funny… I think I’d devour all 3 cups of this deliciousness. there is nothing more delicious in the world than PB. :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 13, 2012

My bf and I are on a huge peanut butter kick right now so I can’t wait to make this for us this weekend!

Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing July 13, 2012

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious!

Susan July 13, 2012

I am a peanut butter ADDICT! Well, any nut butter or seed butter addict for that matter!

Yellow Haired Girl July 13, 2012

Ohhh dear. This looks amazing! I’m craving it, or anything with PB, now.

luv what you do July 13, 2012

Is it wrong to finish both smoothies yourself???
What an awesome recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Not at all!

Jessica July 13, 2012

This sound delightful! I’m a peanut butter maniac and I’m always looking for new ways to get protein into my diet! I can’t wait to try!

Grace @ Grace Dishes July 13, 2012

I love peanut butter! This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Willow July 13, 2012

Who doesn’t like peanut butter? Eric, you crazy! This smoothie sounds like the bomb – I would guzzle them, too!

Annabel Lusardi July 13, 2012

This looks amazing!! I grew up in England where peanut butter is not the childhood staple that it is here. I only tasted it a couple of times and loathed it. When I married my New Jersey-born husband he couldn’t believe I didn’t like it. 23 years and three kids later, PB is one of my favorite things, but actually now I’ve replaced it with natural cashew butter which I think I like even better. I’m still working on getting any of my family to eat Marmite though…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Well, I guess there is hope for him yet! hah.

geosomin July 13, 2012

Hooray – I’m not alone in disliking peanut butter. :)
I just sub out almond butter in any PB recipe and I’m a happy camper. This looks delicious…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

thats a great sub! Eric wont eat any kind of nut butter…it’s the texture I guess. haha

Ashley July 13, 2012

I love how in the first photo the smoothie looks 3 feet tall!! Gimme!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

hah me too!!! GIANT smoothie attack!

morgan July 13, 2012

this sounds to die for.
i LOVE peanut butter

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 13, 2012

Hello tomorrow’s breakfast!!! This looks amazing and I can’t wait to give it a try. I really like adding oats to a smoothie — it leaves me more satisfied and feels more like a ‘meal’. Thanks for sharing!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 13, 2012

My husband eats peanut butter like there’s no tomorrow! I definitely need to make this for him… if I don’t inhale it first ;) and those little crunch balls?? seriously can’t handle the deliciousness!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2012

This looks delicious!!!!

Cait's Plate July 13, 2012

Oh my boyfriend and I could take down several of these between the two of us! Looks delicious!

Laura July 13, 2012

You had me at “PB”!! Keep ‘em coming!

greenthyme July 13, 2012

OH YUM! I have to say, I love how REAL all your photos look. Things drizzling over and that sort of thing. You always keep it real :)

DG July 13, 2012

Does your sister’s recipe with the greek yogurt not contain a banana? The banana issue is one of the main reason I haven’t jumped on the smoothie bandwagon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

I think hers did contain a banana, but I’m sure you could make it without. Just add sweetener (or maybe even dates) to taste.

Shon July 13, 2012

Oh good idea! I love bananas, but they do NOT love me back. I didn’t think of using dates. I usually just leave bananas out of my smoothies, but I like the idea of dates instead.

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 13, 2012

Eric doesn’t like PB?!?! What??? Crazy!! I tried to convince myself that I didn’t like PB (to prevent myself from eating it out of the jar… it didn’t really work)

Kelly July 13, 2012

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I am so making this asap. Possibly after the gym tonight!

Anna July 13, 2012

Boyfriend simply does not care for peanut butter and I have no idea why — I mean, it is super delicious and tasty every single time! I think this could be a good way to change his mind, though…I think that smoothies are the best way to try new (otherwise disliked) foods. I mean, the first way I fell in love with kale was through smoothies — so why not peanut butter!

Andrea P July 13, 2012

How can anyone loathe peanut butter?! I just can’t comprehend it..lol I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes July 13, 2012

Oh I feel your homesickness! Food is my comfort when I leave family too! This smoothie looks WAY to delicious, I think I would eat both of them! I love peanut butter so much, I gotta try this!

Lauren July 13, 2012

Your husband doesn’t like peanut butter?! That’s just nuts….hehe. When my husband and I first got together, he claimed not to like avocados. Well, turns out he’d never actually tried them! He just didn’t like the look of guacamole. Now he eats and loves them! Just think of it as more peanut butter in the house for you!

Nicole July 13, 2012

I cannot fathom not liking peanut butter! This looks like a killer smoothie, can’t wait to try it out tomorrow!

Kate July 13, 2012

This looks absolutely amazing! I started the Eat to Live cleanse when my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer last month. Your website has LITERALLY saved my life. I have totally embraced veganism and can’t see myself going back! I love your recipes and can’t wait to try this one! Thanks, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Thank you Kate, I’m happy to hear you enjoy the blog. Best wishes to your dad!!

Melissa July 13, 2012

Hi Angela,

I was wondering if you still use Amazing Grass Wheat Grass? I’ve been looking for a way to get some chlorella and spirulina into my diet and was curious if you still used it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Hey Melissa, My Amazing grass supply ran out a while ago so I ended up purchasing a wheat grass powder made here in Canada, just to try to buy more locally. I use it once and a while when I need a boost. Occasionally if I go on a trip I will pick up a couple travel packets of the amazing grass powders though. They are still fun!

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie July 13, 2012

UHM YUMMMM!!

I didn’t know it was possible to loathe peanut butter?!?
Is it really?!?!

Suziee July 13, 2012

This looks AMAZING!! I’m going to try substituting PB2 (peanut butter powder) for regular PB. I’ll see how this works! =]

Kari May 17, 2014

did the PB2 work? please let me know!!

Renata June 16, 2014

Same question…how did it go with the PB2?

Page 1 of 3123»