Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

IMG_2338-2

When I was in Calgary visiting my family, my sis made me a peanut butter oatmeal smoothie one morning for breakfast. I sipped on it (trying my best not to inhale it because it was so good), while I made my nephews “Auntie Angie’s” special pancakes, of course with their eager help. And chocolate chips! Between the smoothie my sis made me and my nephews undying love for their Auntie, I felt a bit like a hero that morning. When I was back in Ontario, I found myself making it for a week straight to comfort my homesick self.

After mentioning it on the blog, I received a few requests for the recipe so I thought I would make a version at home and share it with you. This recipe today is more of a dessert version of my sister’s breakfast smoothie, but I will tell you what she put in the breakfast version: almond milk, a heaping tablespoon of natural peanut butter, rolled oats (I think she probably used 1/4 cup?), a large banana, and ice. The rolled oats really help thicken it up and give it a bit more staying power. She also likes to add in a tbsp of coconut oil for its health benefits, and in her own smoothie she also adds honey and Greek yogurt.

IMG_2332

This recipe today is a cross between my Peanut Butter Crunch Blizzard and Kristi’s PB Oatmeal breakfast smoothie. Oh boy, it’s a doozy! In my blizzard recipes, I made banana soft serve in the processor for the “ice cream” base, but in this one, I made it smoothie style for a larger serving size. Like in my blizzard recipes, the key here is to use frozen bananas for an ice cream like texture. I also added chia seeds instead of oats for thickening and made some quick and easy PB crunch balls.

After pouring the smoothies into glasses, I crumbled the peanut butter balls into the smoothie and ate it with a spoon! All by myself, I might add, because Eric loathes peanut butter. I’m pretty sure if he hears me beg, “JUST TRY IT, You can grow to LOVE peanut butter, I promise!” one more time, he may divorce me.

IMG_2343

Where’s a PB lovin’ sis when you need her?!

I had every good intention of saving the second smoothie for tonight’s dessert, but I quickly threw that plan out the window when I guzzled it at 6:45am this morning. There is no hope for me.

IMG_2329

Peanut Butter Bomb Smoothie for Two

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Yield: 3 cups

for the smoothies:

• 2 cups almond milk
  • 2 large frozen ripe bananas
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • ice, if desired
  • Peanut butter crunch balls (below), crumbled on top

for the peanut butter crunch balls: (yield: 19-20 mini bites)

• 1 cup rolled oats, ground into flour (or use 1 cup + 2 tbsp oat flour)
  • 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup rice crisp cereal

1. In the blender, grind the rolled oats into a flour or just use oat flour. In a food processor, process together the ingredients for the crunch balls (except for the rice crisp cereal). Adjust to taste. If batter is dry, add a touch more liquid. Stir in the cereal and form into tiny balls. I made about 19. Store leftovers in freezer.

2. In a blender, add the smoothie ingredients, except for the crunch balls, and blend until smooth. Add ice if desired. Pour into two glasses and top with crumbled crunch balls. Serve immediately with a spoon!

1 Beks July 13, 2012

I don’t understand people who don’t like peanut butter. Allergic, I get, but just plain don’t like it? I’m obsessed with nuts to the point that if I were ever to develop a nut allergy, I’d die a happy person, because I’d never stop eating them. :D

But, more for you. LOL

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 13, 2012

Right?! Who doesn’t like PB?!

3 Zestful Lou July 13, 2012

That’s exactly what I’m thinking! HOW DOES HE NOT LIKE PEANUT BUTTER!?!?????? I’m freaking out about it a little. I just don’t understand. I feel so helpless.

4 Kai July 14, 2012

*Raises hand slowly* Me.
Yes, I admit it; I don’t like peanut butter, and you know what, it frustrates me quite a lot, actually. I want to like it, but it makes me almost gag. Actually it’s like this with all nut butters, which sucks cause that’s a good source of protein for a vegetarian like me. I force it down anyways though. Although I have been trying to introduce myself to peanut butter slowly; I actually ate two spoonfuls today with little after effects, only this horrible feeling that it was stuck all over my insides. lol. I wish I could eat nuts like it was candy, but sadly, I have a love-hate relationship with them, so sad.

Maybe I will try this recipe, and hopefully, I can finally come to love peanut butter.

5 Melissa February 21, 2013

I do not like PB either. I am not born in US, so maybe that is the reason I do not like it. I moved to US when I was 19, then I tried PB and I did not like it. I have been trying it many times (I do like it a little bit in a smoothie or chocolate bar), howver I could not eat it by itself.
P.S. I like almond butter, so I usually use that instead.

6 Ellen July 21, 2013

I didn’t like peanut butter growing up, though I spent a lot of time overseas and did not have as much exposure to it and most Americans. When I got into my mid-20s, I suddenly loved it! Go figure. I make peanut butter smoothies very often and this version looks great.

7 kaila@ healthy helper blog! July 13, 2012

I LOVE the peanut butter balls on top! I always tops my smoothies with something crunchy and those sound PERFECT!

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 13, 2012

Oh wow, this is such a coincidence because last night, I had an incredibly random dream about Blizzards at Dairy Queen!! I used to get the Skor one all the time but now peanut butter is sounding far more appealing. And those crunchy dough ball things….. I have no words. :) Happy Friday Ange!

9 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 13, 2012

Oh yeah baby! I’m SO making this. Just ignore that some chocolate chips might find their way on top. :) Happy Friday!

10 Emily July 13, 2012

That looks incredible! Thank goodness my husband and I both adore PB! My cousin’s husband also hates it-I just don’t get it! Maybe if you threw in some chocolate for him?

11 erin June 18, 2013

I make a similar one with the dark chocolate almond milk…so good!

12 Kasandra July 13, 2012

Well, thanks to this lovely blog post, I now have an EPIC craving for peanut butter. Looks unreal, and can’t wait to have a peanut-butter-bomb hangover myself ;)

13 Katie @wishandwhimsy July 13, 2012

This sounds SO good. My mouth is watering. I can’t wait to make one (and save the other for another time!)

14 Steph July 13, 2012

This sounds horrible – NOT. :) mmmmmm. I think I’ll go put some bananas in the freezer now.

15 Jill July 13, 2012

Wow! Delicious!

16 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 13, 2012

Make 2 servings? That’s funny… I think I’d devour all 3 cups of this deliciousness. there is nothing more delicious in the world than PB. :)

17 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 13, 2012

My bf and I are on a huge peanut butter kick right now so I can’t wait to make this for us this weekend!

18 Kim @ Living, Laughing & Losing July 13, 2012

Oh my goodness, that looks delicious!

19 Susan July 13, 2012

I am a peanut butter ADDICT! Well, any nut butter or seed butter addict for that matter!

20 Yellow Haired Girl July 13, 2012

Ohhh dear. This looks amazing! I’m craving it, or anything with PB, now.

21 luv what you do July 13, 2012

Is it wrong to finish both smoothies yourself???
What an awesome recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Not at all!

23 Jessica July 13, 2012

This sound delightful! I’m a peanut butter maniac and I’m always looking for new ways to get protein into my diet! I can’t wait to try!

24 Grace @ Grace Dishes July 13, 2012

I love peanut butter! This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

25 Willow July 13, 2012

Who doesn’t like peanut butter? Eric, you crazy! This smoothie sounds like the bomb – I would guzzle them, too!

26 Annabel Lusardi July 13, 2012

This looks amazing!! I grew up in England where peanut butter is not the childhood staple that it is here. I only tasted it a couple of times and loathed it. When I married my New Jersey-born husband he couldn’t believe I didn’t like it. 23 years and three kids later, PB is one of my favorite things, but actually now I’ve replaced it with natural cashew butter which I think I like even better. I’m still working on getting any of my family to eat Marmite though…

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Well, I guess there is hope for him yet! hah.

28 geosomin July 13, 2012

Hooray – I’m not alone in disliking peanut butter. :)
I just sub out almond butter in any PB recipe and I’m a happy camper. This looks delicious…

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

thats a great sub! Eric wont eat any kind of nut butter…it’s the texture I guess. haha

30 Ashley July 13, 2012

I love how in the first photo the smoothie looks 3 feet tall!! Gimme!! :)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

hah me too!!! GIANT smoothie attack!

32 morgan July 13, 2012

this sounds to die for.
i LOVE peanut butter

33 Andrea @ Vegvacious July 13, 2012

Hello tomorrow’s breakfast!!! This looks amazing and I can’t wait to give it a try. I really like adding oats to a smoothie — it leaves me more satisfied and feels more like a ‘meal’. Thanks for sharing!

34 Christa @ Edible Balance July 13, 2012

My husband eats peanut butter like there’s no tomorrow! I definitely need to make this for him… if I don’t inhale it first ;) and those little crunch balls?? seriously can’t handle the deliciousness!

35 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2012

This looks delicious!!!!

36 Cait's Plate July 13, 2012

Oh my boyfriend and I could take down several of these between the two of us! Looks delicious!

37 Laura July 13, 2012

You had me at “PB”!! Keep ’em coming!

38 greenthyme July 13, 2012

OH YUM! I have to say, I love how REAL all your photos look. Things drizzling over and that sort of thing. You always keep it real :)

39 DG July 13, 2012

Does your sister’s recipe with the greek yogurt not contain a banana? The banana issue is one of the main reason I haven’t jumped on the smoothie bandwagon.

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

I think hers did contain a banana, but I’m sure you could make it without. Just add sweetener (or maybe even dates) to taste.

41 Shon July 13, 2012

Oh good idea! I love bananas, but they do NOT love me back. I didn’t think of using dates. I usually just leave bananas out of my smoothies, but I like the idea of dates instead.

42 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 13, 2012

Eric doesn’t like PB?!?! What??? Crazy!! I tried to convince myself that I didn’t like PB (to prevent myself from eating it out of the jar… it didn’t really work)

43 Kelly July 13, 2012

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. I am so making this asap. Possibly after the gym tonight!

44 Anna July 13, 2012

Boyfriend simply does not care for peanut butter and I have no idea why — I mean, it is super delicious and tasty every single time! I think this could be a good way to change his mind, though…I think that smoothies are the best way to try new (otherwise disliked) foods. I mean, the first way I fell in love with kale was through smoothies — so why not peanut butter!

45 Andrea P July 13, 2012

How can anyone loathe peanut butter?! I just can’t comprehend it..lol I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

46 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes July 13, 2012

Oh I feel your homesickness! Food is my comfort when I leave family too! This smoothie looks WAY to delicious, I think I would eat both of them! I love peanut butter so much, I gotta try this!

47 Lauren July 13, 2012

Your husband doesn’t like peanut butter?! That’s just nuts….hehe. When my husband and I first got together, he claimed not to like avocados. Well, turns out he’d never actually tried them! He just didn’t like the look of guacamole. Now he eats and loves them! Just think of it as more peanut butter in the house for you!

48 Nicole July 13, 2012

I cannot fathom not liking peanut butter! This looks like a killer smoothie, can’t wait to try it out tomorrow!

49 Kate July 13, 2012

This looks absolutely amazing! I started the Eat to Live cleanse when my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer last month. Your website has LITERALLY saved my life. I have totally embraced veganism and can’t see myself going back! I love your recipes and can’t wait to try this one! Thanks, Angela!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Thank you Kate, I’m happy to hear you enjoy the blog. Best wishes to your dad!!

51 Melissa July 13, 2012

Hi Angela,

I was wondering if you still use Amazing Grass Wheat Grass? I’ve been looking for a way to get some chlorella and spirulina into my diet and was curious if you still used it?

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

Hey Melissa, My Amazing grass supply ran out a while ago so I ended up purchasing a wheat grass powder made here in Canada, just to try to buy more locally. I use it once and a while when I need a boost. Occasionally if I go on a trip I will pick up a couple travel packets of the amazing grass powders though. They are still fun!

53 Ellie @ healthy belly ellie July 13, 2012

UHM YUMMMM!!

I didn’t know it was possible to loathe peanut butter?!?
Is it really?!?!

54 Suziee July 13, 2012

This looks AMAZING!! I’m going to try substituting PB2 (peanut butter powder) for regular PB. I’ll see how this works! =]

55 Kari May 17, 2014

did the PB2 work? please let me know!!

56 Renata June 16, 2014

Same question…how did it go with the PB2?

57 Erin @ The Grass Skirt July 13, 2012

I love making peanut butter smoothies, and the crunch balls sound like the perfect addition! :)

58 Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) July 13, 2012

This recipe sounded so amazing I went straight to my kitchen and created this http://instagram.com/p/NBz6EcGZpW/
It really isn’t the same at all because the only common ingredient was almond milk… I blended 1T flax seeds, 1/2 avocado, 1 scoop vanilla Sunwarrior, 2T almond butter, 3 drops liquid setvia, 1t maca, 1T coconut oil, almond milk and cinnamon and its delicious! Thank you for the inspiration!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

yummy!

60 Danica @ It's Progression July 13, 2012

this looks absolutely amazing, can’t wait to try!

61 Jen July 13, 2012

I sent my boyfriend this link because it looks delicious, and he said: “I don’t like peanut butter.”

WHAT. Is my relationship doomed?

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

In my experience the relationship can still work, it’s tough but you can get through it! ;)

63 allison July 18, 2012

my bf doesn’t like pb either! i don’t get it! but he does like almond butter and cashew butter. I totally believe pb and chocolate are a food group :-) More for me I guess :-)

64 Lana B July 13, 2012

I need to try this, it looks soooooooo good! I love peanut butter, my boyfriend hates it too…..oh well more for me! Will try this soon :)

65 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 13, 2012

Mmm, drinking my peanut butter is always a fun way to have it :)

Great looking smoothie which looks like it has some staying power from the chia and oat crunch.

66 Katie @Veggie and the Beast July 13, 2012

Ohhhhh my I love love love putting peanut butter and/or almond butter in smoothies. This looks amazing :)

67 Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings July 13, 2012

Peanut butter smoothies are my favorite! I’m definitely going to try these crunch balls to go on top, they look good! Love your new cherries logo.

68 Marissa July 13, 2012

Hi ! I follow your blog daily (Love your recipes!) but never got the chance to comment. I just made the crunch balls and OMG ! I subbed sunflower seed butter for the pb, added a scoop of brown rice protein, and a drop of butterscotch extract ………. and ate half the batch before they even became balls! Thank you for making my day!

Marissa

69 Kristin July 13, 2012

It’s a known longing of mine for my husband to share with me in my LOVE for peanut butter. I try to be thankful that he doesn’t like it because I get to have it all though. :-) Maybe someday he become like the rest of us normal people..this recipe looks delicious! Thanks

70 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 13, 2012

Good thing it’s for two – that’s a smoothie the hubs might actually get into.

71 Kathy Steger July 13, 2012

I must confess I am craving one after reading this. Going to make one for me and my sister tomorrow morning. Thanks for sharing

72 Meg | One Love Meg July 13, 2012

I am in need of a shake. I have been traveling so I have been skipping my juices and shakes but I am in a place where there is a blender. I am making this tomorrow!

73 Heather July 13, 2012

This sounds amazing!

To all of you with significant others that do not like peanut butter, you might be lucky. Whenever I go to get some peanut butter, there is none left. I still can’t quite figure out how my fiance can make it disappear so quickly. We even got to the point awhile ago that we each had our own stash of it, but then he decided he needed to cut back his PB consumption and he stopped buying PB for himself…and then he gets weak and goes into my stash. :)

74 Nicole July 13, 2012

I don’t think I have ever commented before, but I read all the time. As soon as I saw this, I realized I had everything on hand and made it. Delicious!! Really looking forward to your cookbook.

Nicole

75 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Lovelys July 13, 2012

I can’t wait to try these out! They look so good, and I think my husband will like them as well! :)

76 Lesley July 13, 2012

Sounds absolutely amazing. Love the little peanut butter balls!

77 Foodforthoughtlinds July 13, 2012

oh my goodness… I can’t eat pb for another 4 months while breastfeeding my daughter, due to family allergies. And this is making me drooooool… and want to wean my daughter NOW!!! I will tough it out and pin this for October ;)

78 The Blissful Baker July 13, 2012

I love topping my smoothies with some crunch! Usually it is just some homemade granola-but I may have to switch it up and use those peanut butter balls! Thanks for the post-have a great weekend!

Check out my latest recipe, review and giveaway @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

79 Kit July 14, 2012

One cannot simply loathe peanut butter. That’s just a crime.

80 Katrina July 14, 2012

This just sounds awesome! I love it!

81 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 14, 2012

This smoothie sounds so delicious! I just had a peanut butter smoothie last night after the gym, but it was missing those crunch balls. Mmmm, this recipe will definitely be tried as soon as possible. ;)

82 Heathy @ Sweetly Raw July 14, 2012

I NEED to make this!!! Looks like the perfect liquid dessert in this hot weather.

83 Rachel July 14, 2012

oh my gosh I used to LOVE peanut butter and bananas… this sounds amazing! I’m allergic to bananas now, I wonder if pears will be a good substitute lol

84 Jennifer Grey July 14, 2012

Angela – can almond butter be used instead of peanut butter?

oxox..
Jennifer

85 Becky July 14, 2012

That looks super de-lish!

86 Kristin July 14, 2012

I added chocolate chips to it, and I feel like I’m in heaven over here. Thanks for Sharing!!

87 em @ simplypresent July 14, 2012

I’m addicted to peanut butter! These both look heavely! :)

88 melanie July 14, 2012

This looks absolutely delicious!! May I ask how you keep your frozen bananas? Do you just cut a whole bunch and keep them in baggies to use whenever?? I need to get more organized in the kitchen and could use all the tips I can get!! Thanks!!:)

89 Sharon @ Granola Meets Grits July 14, 2012

Oh my gosh, these look DELICIOUS, and your peanut butter balls are so cute! Neat healthy yet special treat. You are so clever! Also I loved that summer salad you put up a post or two- yum! Had all the ingredients and made it right away, was so glad for something a little different! Thank you for being so yummy and inspiring!

90 Katherine @ Green Thickies July 15, 2012

Wow, this smoothie looks amazing. I adore anything with peanut butter. I add oats to all my smoothies (Green Thickies) so they fill me up until lunch time as I only have time for one drink. These crunch balls look gorgeous. I’m going to have to try these out as I also love a crunch on top of my smoothie. I wonder if these would work with a liquid sweetener like agave or molasses. Many thanks

91 Maureen July 15, 2012

Peanut butter should be its own food group. This looks delicious.

92 Shannon July 15, 2012

I scanned the home page before I went to sleep last night and just kind of grazed over and nodded. Then I woke up this morning, knew that that smoothie/blizzard was EXACTLY what I was having that morning, and whipped it up without missing a beat. It’s great to have a website you can trust to be delicious :)

93 Maddy July 15, 2012

Being the peanut butter fanatic I am, I had to try this for breakfast. It was awesome! I love the addition of the peanut butter balls; I didn’t have rice cereal so I used pumpkin/flaxseed granola to get the crunch.

94 marni July 15, 2012

this looks and sounds divine! seems to good to be true.

95 marni July 15, 2012

oops… “too” good to be true :)

96 Amy July 15, 2012

YUUUMMM! I used to hate PB as a kid….now I adore it. So it is possible to go from a hate to love relationshio :) Going straight to the kitchen to make these! Love your blog!!!

97 Rosey July 15, 2012

LOVE LOVE LOVE this…used soymilk and kashi go lean crunch as subs because that was all I had- also added I packet of stevia to the smoothie…my new fave….so so good.

98 Lisa July 15, 2012

for smoothies containing oatmeal, you cook the oatmeal first (not just use dried oats)… right? just checking! thanks

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2012

You can use cooked or dry :) I like to soak mine (like overnight oats) if I have time, in almond milk.

100 lahealthyliving July 15, 2012

This is a great idea for a smoothie! It would make a really healthy breakfast!

101 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 15, 2012

oh. my. gosh. i need one of these in my life right about now! love it!

102 Jess July 16, 2012

Oh wow, I’m DEFINITELY going to have to make this! I’m a huuuuge peanut butter fanatic!

103 Elizabeth July 16, 2012

I have to make this for my hubby he is a peanut butter head!!!
Peace and Raw Health,
Elizabeth

104 Francesca July 16, 2012

I make a similar smoothie for my boyfriend’s breakfast. 1/3 cup of orange juice, 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt, about 1 tbsp. peanut butter, 2 tsp. brown sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 banana, 1/3 cup oats (cooked in the microwave and chilled), and 6 ice cubes. Pop it in the blender and you’re good to go! I make this the day before and it’s still thick and luscious for breakfast in the morning. By the way, I cook the oats because we like the taste better than just uncooked oats tossed in. Mmmm!

105 Lorell July 16, 2012

I made the breakfast smoothie your sister makes minus the coconut oil. I added in a couple of peanut butter bombs anyway…and *swoon*…where has this smoothie been all my life? ;). What a yummy breakfast! Thanks, Angela!

106 Eva @ Committed2Nutrition July 18, 2012

Awesome and all things amazing for this recipe! This is going to be a perfect pre-zumba work out meal for me. So simple and so perfect, and something I’ve definitely made before, but I needed this reminder again.

107 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to Seea July 18, 2012

“I’m pretty sure if he hears me beg, “JUST TRY IT, You can grow to LOVE peanut butter, I promise!” one more time, he may divorce me.”

Haha one my best friends HATES peanut butter too. I think if I mention the same thing, she just rolls her eyes ;)

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2012

Glad I’m not the only annoying one ;)

109 SarahN July 18, 2012

I’m not sure how I chanced upon your site, but this was last night’s dessert and today’s b’fast! I loved it. I don’t have a blender (just a food processer), so I didn’t have such a perfect texture, but it tasted great! (and my banana weren’t black or frozen, but I wanted to try it NOW!) Thank you! I’m trying to tell myself it’s ‘healthy’ bahahaha!

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

haha glad you enjoyed it my dear!

111 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 19, 2012

What a gorgeous smoothie! I’m a sucker for anything that contains peanut butter crunch balls. ;)

112 Tanya July 19, 2012

This smoothie is to die for! And the calories in it could seriously kill any diet you may be on. I wish I didn’t do the math because this is a treat I could indulge in everyday but it is going to have to stay on the once a week plan for me. Amazingly delicious and thanks for posting it!

113 Vivian @sugarandscrubs July 19, 2012

I’m in Europe right now, where nut butters are a foreign concept. It’s decided, this is so going to be my first breakfast when I get back. Total nut butter withdrawal right now :(

114 Julie July 21, 2012

Did your sister blend the oatmeal into a powder for the breakfast smoothie or just toss it in with the other ingredients? Both versions sound great!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Hey Julie, She just tossed the rolled oats right into the blender with the other ingredients. Hope this helps!

116 Sara July 22, 2012

Oh my goodness woman! You have this eating healthy and making it taste awesome thing down!!! I tried your gingerbread smoothie the other day and now this peanut butter banana number. They rock!! That banana is magic I swear. I usually buy a big bunch to freeze in ziploc bags and then one for the counter that my son and I devour during the week and we still run out too soon:( I added steel cut oats,dark chocolate chips and unsalted peanuts to my blizzard. It is very filling and I don’t even think I can get through it. It is the single serving too! I added the coconut oil which was a great idea.

I wonder if you could do a banana smoothie and skip the peanut butter/almond butter. My hubby loves anything banana so I may try something for him when he gets back from Afghanistan in two weeks. So excited to have him home soon!!!

Anyway,thank you for your story and your fantastic recipes. It is SO hard finding an excellent blog with a passionate food blogger like yours truly is. I am thinking of trying those lettuce wraps with the peanut sauce next:)

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2012

Hey Sara, Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m so happy you are enjoying the recipes. :) For the nut butter free smoothie, what about a tropical version using frozen banana & mango? That might be good. You could use light coconut milk instead of almond milk too.

118 Sara July 23, 2012

oooh great insight Angela! Thanks! I will try to sneak that in front of him for taste testing when he returns!

119 judy July 25, 2012

Just made your sister’s recipe for my post-run meal. Yum! Can’t wait to try your recipe next (just bought the rice crispy things yesterday)!

120 Doug July 28, 2012

This was a simple, yet amazing smoothie!!! Thank you for the recipe, which is going into my recipe page on my blog.

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 28, 2012

Hey Doug, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’m now resisting the urge to go make one… ;)

122 R.A. September 25, 2012

Thanks for a great recipe! I have made this a couple of times and have more of those delicious crunch balls in the freezer. I usually do more of a sit down breakfast but this is great for on the go….or sitting down as it tastes so wonderful.

123 Evelia October 4, 2012

This recipe is AMAZING!!! I loved it because not only is it healthy, but it curved my nightly sweet tooth craving. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes that you post!

124 ChanelD October 12, 2012

I made something similar this morning but added a strong cup of coffee in lieu of the second cup of almond milk. I’ll have to try the chia seeds, I do flax at the moment. I’m going to be on this site every day now.

125 Barbara Sallee November 4, 2012

If you love a peanut butter and chocolate combination, you can add some cocoa powder to the smoothie. Yum!

126 alysia November 30, 2012

this was FANTASTIC. My first time trying almond milk and I’m so glad it was this recipe. i love the peanut balls, and peanut butter/banana is my favourite combination. i just loved this for desert! what was so great was that i didn’t feel bloated and it left me satisfied (and wanting more!) thank you xx

127 Nikki February 5, 2013

Yum! I added some raw chocolate protein powder to this and it is wonderful!!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

128 Katie February 17, 2013

I’m curious–is there a substitute for bananas? Even the smell of bananas makes me feel sick (blah!) Also, is this considered a healthy treat or not?

129 Tiffany October 5, 2014

I’m curious about this as well. I’ve skimmed all the comments up to this point trying to find the answer. I know dome smoothies that require banana don’t have a strong banana flavor buuuut I’d still know it was there lol

130 Meredith March 25, 2013

Made this last night for supper – so good! I didn’t quite get the ice creamy ’cause I was too impatient to let my banana freeze, but I’m making it again for breakfast tomorrow :)

131 jules March 25, 2013

This turned out beautifully. Thick consistency and delicious. The peanut butter crunch balls were delightful surprises floating through the smoothie. The oats make it satisfying and filling and it seems to be a nutrient-rich recipe (even though there is a small amount of sugar and maple syrup). Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe Angela.

132 Jessica May 14, 2013

Delicious, delicious, delicious! The crunch balls really make it!!

133 Sarah June 29, 2013

This was AWESOME! It really is the perfect amount for 2 people! I made this for me and my hubby for breakfast this morning and he said that he would drink this instead of a milkshake any day! I pretty much filled my glass with the crumbled peanut butter balls haha.. so good!

134 rachel July 2, 2013

I make this smoothie regularly, it’s so good and healthy! I haven’t made the PB balls for the top, instead, I add a few shakes of cinnamon, SO GOOD!!! :)

135 Joslyn Hitter December 10, 2013

The crunch balls really make this smoothie for me. I love having a bit of texture in a smoothie. I feel like it tricks my mind into believing that I am actually eating something as opposed to drinking my meal.

136 Patty Warren December 11, 2013

I did not make the crunch balls to go on top, as I am too lazy but this smoothie rocked! YUM!!!!

137 Amy December 17, 2013

I make something similar to this, but I add some cinnamon and a few drops of honey as well. Yum!

138 Lise January 16, 2014

Fantastic! My husband and I were in the mood for something sweet but quick and this did the trick! We’ve been following your blog for a few weeks now and this is in our top 3 recipes from your site.

Thanks so much!

Lise & Josh

139 Regina January 24, 2014

I added a tablespoon of chocolate hemp protein powder…yum!

140 Kari May 17, 2014

did you Use ice for the smoothie in this picture or no??

141 Anna Lee July 30, 2014

I just made this, and it’s sooo wonderful! I only made a half batch, because I would have no doubt downed the entire thing in one sitting. Hah.

142 Stephanie Marie August 4, 2014

This concoction is AMAZING! Yum!! Question: I’ve been snacking on my extra pb crunch balls after running (I’m an elite runner)– do you have an idea of the calorie count for those? The PB is such a good dose of protein and they are so delicious, I’d love to be able to snack on them as part of my post-training recovery! Getting big doses of protein and replacement calories is really important :)

143 Lisa August 21, 2014

Made it this morning:
THIS is the freakin’ BEST smoothie I’ve ever had in my whole life :D

144 Sherleyor October 28, 2014

I really like and appreciate your blog post.

145 Amanda February 20, 2015

This was excellent. Not too sweet…so tasty! I’ve recently stopped eating most animal products and refined sugars and find your recipes so simple, hearty and delicious! Thank you!

146 Cassandra March 5, 2015

Can you use puffed amaranth instead of rice crisp? Just thinking with what I have in the pantry

147 Katie - Conquering Fear Spiritually July 26, 2015

I can’t wait to try this smoothie- this is exactly the recipe I’ve been looking for. Thank you! xx

148 Valeria September 23, 2015

Hey there, do you think I can omit breakfast with this recipe? I am currently trying to loose weight and want to skip bread. Is this good for a healthy and slimming breakfast? Kind Regards, Valeria

149 Pauline Malpage December 2, 2015

Angela- i just wanted to leave you a quick message to tell you that you have changed my life. i use to hate cooking and thanks to your recipes i have grown to love it so much that it is all i want to do. thank you so much for being a blessing in my life. xx

150 Tammy January 10, 2016

I haven’t made this smoothie but definitely on my TO DO list. Right now I am enjoying the Gym Rat Smoothie from “Oh She Glows”. To cut back on the calories and fat I substituted the peanut butter for Tru-n powdered Peanut Butter (2 Tbsp), same as P2B. It’s vegan friendly, has a decent flavour (although I have not tried it as a spread but rather just when mixing in smoothie and sauce recipes). Just sharing in case anyone was considering trying it in a smoothie – It works great. Thanks again Angela. Your book is changing the way we eat and I have one child who is loving the Green Monster, the other who is scared of the Green color but I’m working on it.

151 Tammy January 10, 2016

That should say Tru-nut, not Tru-n. lol

152 Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner February 14, 2016

Angela, my husband’s stepmom introduced me to you over the holidays and I love your blog and recipes! I make this smoothie all the time now. I blogged about it here:

Also, I tried your chocolate chip cookie dough bars and they are amazing. My favorite so far has to be your peanut butter cookie dough bites! That’s 3 for 3 all fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing and I can’t wait to try the next. :)

153 Angela Liddon February 25, 2016

Hi Tina, I’m so happy to hear you’ve been enjoying the blog and the recipes. I hope you love whatever you try next just as well! Thanks for the sweet message. :)