Grilled Tofu with Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice

IMG_2119

When you can’t get away for vacation, but still want the feeling of a vacation, this dinner is for you! Better yet, have someone make it for you while you sip a margarita. It’s tropical, refreshing, and perfect for those warm summer nights when you want to change up your go-to meals.

Plus, you simply cannot go wrong with juicy fruit cascading over your dinner plate, especially during a heat wave. This was quite simple to throw together, but still felt like a dish I’d find on the menu of my favourite veg restaurant (only better because it was made at home!).

IMG_2123

I’ve never made coconut rice before, but after a quick scour of the internet, I settled on Jaden’s recipe. Only I didn’t have jasmine rice or full-fat coconut milk so I used brown rice and light coconut milk instead. I was a bit worried I’d end up with a “healthy tasting” coconut rice, but it tasted nothing of the sort. It was as creamy and decadent tasting as I hoped it would be. A tiny amount of brown sugar, nutmeg, and toasted coconut really made the flavours pop. Without these it was a bit bland, but with, it’s now a rice dish I’m crazy about.

I’m not sure if you can tell in this photo below just how thick and creamy it turned out. You’ll have to trust me on this one!

IMG_2130IMG_2103 IMG_2107

I pressed the extra-firm tofu, sliced it into four huge triangles, and brushed oil over all sides with a sprinkle of herbamare. Eric was in charge of grilling the tofu, which didn’t take very long at all. Maybe 5 minutes per side.

We’re both tofu fans and enjoy it plain, but if you think you’d like the tofu spruced up a bit more feel free to use a marinade prior to grilling. We added a bit of BBQ sauce on the side and it was the perfect accompaniment for dipping.

IMG_2129-2

Grilled Tofu with Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Dish inspired by Ashley & coconut rice adapted from Jaden.

Yield: Serves 2-3

For the tofu:

• 1 package extra-firm or firm tofu (I used Sol-Cuisine organic brand)
  • Cooking oil, for brushing
  • Herbamare or salt, for seasoning

For the coconut rice:

• 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup dry/uncooked short grain brown rice
  • 1 can (400ml) light coconut milk (yields 1 & 3/4 cups)
  • 2 tsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
  • Sprinkle of nutmeg

For the pineapple salsa: (this makes over 5 cups so feel free to make a half batch!)

• 1 pineapple, cored & diced (makes about 3 cups diced)
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 orange pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 3 tbsp fresh lime juice (1 large lime)
  • 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, minced
  • Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)

1. Press Tofu: Remove tofu from package and rinse with water. Press the tofu for at least 20 minutes following these directions. After pressing, slice the tofu block down the middle, lengthwise to make two halves. Now slice each piece diagonally to make 4 triangles total. Brush each side with cooking oil and then season generously. If you don’t enjoy plain tofu try using a marinade prior to cooking.

2. Coconut Rice: Preheat oven to 300F. Toast shredded coconut for about 8-12 minutes until golden. Rinse brown rice in colander and then place into a medium-sized pot. Add one 400ml can coconut milk (equal to 1 & 3/4 cups). Stir. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat immediately to low. Cover with lid and cook for about 25-30 minutes until most of the coconut milk is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat, keep lid on, and let it “steam” for another 10 minutes or so. Stir in brown sugar and optional coconut oil. Garnish with toasted shredded coconut.

3. Salsa: Meanwhile, add all salsa ingredients into a large bowl, adjusting to taste.  My pineapple was very watery, so I dumped the pineapple into a colander and let the water drain for about 10 minutes prior to using. Feel free to do this too or just leave it as is.

4. Grill tofu: Preheat the bbq grill for about 15-30 minutes (depending on your grill) on high. Turn heat down to medium/low. Carefully, grease the grill with a cooking oil safe for high heat (e.g., canola, sunflower, safflower, or sesame). Grill the tofu for about 5 minutes on each side (this will vary). Be sure not to overcook the tofu or it will be dry.

5. To serve: Spoon coconut rice on a plate and sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg if desired. Add grilled tofu next and then spoon over a generous amount of pineapple salsa. Sprinkle everything with more toasted coconut and garnish with mint leaves. Feel free to serve with a bit of BBQ sauce on the side to spruce up the tofu.

IMG_2119-2

In other news, I had a fun photoshoot with Sketchie this weekend. You can head over to my Facebook page to check it out. All hail crazy cat ladies!

What are your favourite summer entrees? As always, feel free to leave your recipe requests below!

Hope you have a great start to your week.

1 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 9, 2012

Ooh, that looks awesome! I love pineapple salsa and I can’t wait to make the coconut rice. I miss the kind Trader Joe’s used to make before they yanked it. I can’t believe I forgot about it!

2 Debbie Flores @DebaRooRoo July 9, 2012

Looks awesome!!! It’s been awhile since I’ve made tofu and I really need to give this a try!

3 Suz @ avocadoandbasil July 9, 2012

Oh wow, that looks so good. I’ve always been to scared to cook with tofu, will have to try this recipe as a way to overcome that fear!

4 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 9, 2012

I have been wanting to make coconut rice for a while! This sounds so delicious. I got into a thai peanut, pineapple and tofu salad kick for a few weeks and forgot how much I loved it. Loved the Sketchie photo shoot as well!

5 katie July 9, 2012

oh this sound to die for! I can’t wait to give this a try!

6 Tammy July 9, 2012

This sounds wonderful! I wonder if I could substitute quinoa for the rice…do you think it would turn out okay? Will definitely try this regardless!

7 Margaret July 9, 2012

I made it with quinoa tonight. Very creamy!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 10, 2012

oh im glad to hear quinoa worked!

9 Anna July 9, 2012

Pineapple isn’t my favorite in savory dishes but this looks too great to not try. And coconut rice is just amazing, my recipe isn’t quite perfect, I think adding the sugar might help it out!
And more love for the Sketchie photo shoot over here.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

I’m usually not a huge fan of fruit in savoury dishes either. I think this one helps that the salsa isn’t “warm”, even serving it chilled would be nice too!
Thanks for the Sketchie love.

11 Nicole July 9, 2012

This looks so delish!! I’ve starred this in my Google Reader to make soon :)

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 9, 2012

This looks fabulous! Since I’m trying to get an insane amount of protein everyday, I’m constantly looking for new ways to prepare high-protein items like tofu. I love that you added mint to the pineapple salsa! I bet some avocado would be fabulous in there too!

13 Sarina @ Earthgiven July 9, 2012

Oh I love coconut and pineapple together! Good one, Angela. Lately we’ve been marinating pineapple and grilling it on kabobs with veggies on the BBQ!

14 Faith @ For the Health of It July 9, 2012

I love coconut milk. It makes EVERYTHING super creamy and luscious – even brown rice! Heck, even a “healthy tasting” one would probably be right on point!

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

hah so true :)

16 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 9, 2012

I like anything I can make without heating up my kitchen. Last night I made some Gardein chick’n strips for my kids, made a huge salad, & had several bowls of add-ins to choose from, that way everyone got to make their own salad creation. Didn’t heat up the kitchen & everyone got what they wanted!

I like making rice in my rice cooker–helps to reduce heat in the kitchen on these blazing summer days.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Everyone raves about their rice cooker…I can’t wait to get one some day! If only I had more storage space in this kitchen. Can you make other things in it besides rice?

18 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 9, 2012

Yes! You can pretty much use it like a crockpot.

I like to mix a grain (any grain!) and a bunch of veggies in the rice cooker, add enough liquid, then turn it on. When it’s done, top with salad dressing and serve with a protein.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

That sounds SO easy (and fun!). Why do I get so excited about these things? hah. Do you recommend a particular brand? Sorry for all the q’s.

20 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 9, 2012

Ha! I get excited, too.

I bought a Black & Decker rice cooker for about $10-15. The nonstick coating on the inside is starting to scrape off and it sorta leaks a little now (I put it on a plate to catch the liquid), but I’ve uesd it heavily for the past six years.

Apparently you can also bake cakes in them? I’ve never tried it, but am definitely intrigued. It seems more energy-efficient than heating an entire oven. I’ll let you know how it goes!

21 Helene July 10, 2012

I love my Zojirushi Stainless Steel rice cooker. I am able to make steel cut oats in the rice cooker because it has a porridge setting. It also has a timer and you can program it to have the steel cuts oats ready when you wake up. My rice cooker plays twinkle twinkle little star when the oats are ready – it’s the best sound and smell to wake up to. I make risotto, rice pilaf, and all types of grains in the rice cooker. I just love it!!!!

22 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 9, 2012

It’s hard for me to believe that you don’t have a rice cooker Angela! I couldn’t live without mine, mostly because I’m hopeless when it comes to cooking rice on the stove (it doesn’t help that I have 4 little distractions!). I like how I can dump ingredients, push a few buttons, then forget about it until it’s time to eat. Yes, you can make other grains in the rice cooker.

23 Cait's Plate July 9, 2012

Delicious!

24 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 9, 2012

What a beautiful presentation!

25 Sylvia July 9, 2012

Looks sooooo yummy!! As for rice cookers… I bought one from Zehrs and somehow it makes rice worse than I did via pot and stove. I yearn for the day I make rice that is beautifully separated grains… ;)

26 Destini July 9, 2012

I am hungry and this made me more hungry! Great recipe. I love coconut rice!!

27 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 9, 2012

This is like something out of a restaurant!! Looks delicious!

28 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 9, 2012

Mmm this looks amazing! Coconut rice is one of my favourite side dishes! I first had it at the Rude Native in Burlington a few years ago and loved it. And it turned out that one of the sous chefs was related to a family friend, so I was able to get the recipe – and it’s actually really similar to yours here!

29 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 9, 2012

that pineapple salsa sounds superb! so refreshing and delicious! yum! gorgeous photos as always!

30 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 9, 2012

Ohh I love me some coconutty carbs! It’s really good when you mix the coco. milk+rice+soy sauce too! xD When I first saw the picture of your dish, I thought the tofu was a big tuna steak! So I got really startled thinking that you were now eating fish, haha!

31 Heidi July 9, 2012

Thanks very much for this recipe, my daughter who is a vegetarian is coming for a visit this month, and I plan on making this for her. :)

32 K July 9, 2012

In the summer, I like noodle salads, roasted veggies and lots of fresh veggies!! Love tapas style dining! great for get togethers!

33 Averie @ Averie Cooks July 9, 2012

Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice sounds so delish! I love making rice with coconut milk because it makes me feel like I’m on a tropical island (in the middle of winter sometimes)!

34 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 9, 2012

Looks like the perfect summer recipe!

35 Eileen July 9, 2012

What an amazing-sounding combination! I love the tropical elements of pineapple & coconut. My own summer favorites are a lot of midwestern-garden staples–tomatoes, fresh corn, and green beans for the win!

36 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 9, 2012

I thought the grilled tofu was camembert at first, looks so good!

37 Revitalize with Stefania July 9, 2012

I don’t eat tofu, but man, that salsa and rice looks TO DIE FOR.

38 Chelsea @ The Balancing Spoon July 9, 2012

Angela, this recipe looks absolutely to die for. Perfect for summer. I am a major pineapple fan but always end up with so much! And my mint plant needs to be used up. This salsa is my next go to summer recipe.

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 10, 2012

I hope you enjoy it Chelsea :)

40 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 9, 2012

Oh man, that looks awesome!!! And a new sandwich of sorts would be amazing for those hot days in D.C. when turning on any sort of heated appliance gets an “ughhh”

41 Lisa @ the raw serenity July 9, 2012

This looks like a perfect summer nights meal. Unfortunately being winter we have no pineapples in sight.
May have to sub?
X

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 10, 2012

I’m sure it would be good with any kind of salsa you make!

43 Anna @ The Guiltless Life July 9, 2012

That’s super summer appropriate! I love how you’re eating tofu now because it means we’re getting some great recipes out of it! And coconut rice sounds divine and reminds me of some of my favourite meals out at Thai/Malaysian restaurants :). There’s one in Vancouver that serves you coconut rice in a coconut – it’s divine!

44 Christa @ Edible Balance July 9, 2012

It all looks incredible! My hubby loves everything pineapple, so he would be all over this too :)

I do get nervous in having to press tofu, which is why i naver make it at home… I’m going to have to get out of my comfort zone and just do it!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 10, 2012

I now put my Vitamix base on top of the towel-covered tofu when I press it. It works pretty good hah

46 T July 11, 2012

I got a TofuXpress, directly from their website. It works great!

47 deirdre July 9, 2012

oh my my! that looks so tasty! I’ve never tried coco-rice either, but this does indeed look delish. as far as i’m concerned you can’t really go wrong with coconut, pineapple and lots of fresh veg. will be making this for dinner next week!

48 Jennifer July 9, 2012

Mmm, that looks AMAZING! I’d probably cut my tofu a little thinner but other than that, this seems like the perfect meal! I’ll just have to find somebody other than my tofu-hating husband to enjoy it with!

49 Lesley July 9, 2012

Pineapple salsa is amazing. Ever have watermelon salsa? Sooo good, too!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 10, 2012

No but that sounds amazing! Would you use mint in it?

51 Lesley July 10, 2012

Its 3 cups watermelon, 2 jalapeno peppers, minced – seeds, ribs removed, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro – about 1/2 bunch, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/4 cup minced red onion, salt to taste. Mix all together in bowl and enjoy chilled!!!! Hope you like it. You could definitely try the mint instead of the cilantro. Your choice :)

52 Ella June 19, 2014

you left this comment a loooong time ago but oh my lord does that sound GOOD! I really want to try it this summer!
youtube.com/sparklesandsuch26

53 Charlie July 9, 2012

This looks amazing! It’s been so long since I’ve made tofu and you made me crave some now :P. I’ll definitely have to try this.

54 DORIS @vanillacocoberry July 10, 2012

Oh Angie, you had me at mentioning “pineapple and coconut” in the same recipe :) gotta love that combination!!! coconut rice is my fave! Ive had it when I was in Thailand two summers ago and it was divine! <3

55 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 10, 2012

This sounds absolutely brilliant. I am now thinking of this recipe in I Need It terms :D

56 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods July 10, 2012

This looks amazing!

57 LizAshlee July 10, 2012

Yum, what a fun summer dish that looks totally satisfying! I love a good hearty salad! How about trying a pate made with nuts that can be used for tacos or for a wrap? Hmm:)

58 Carrie @ Little Apartment, Big City July 10, 2012

Like others, I was wondering if quinoa would work instead of rice. Sounds like other visitors have made it successfully, so I can’t wait to try it!

59 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 10, 2012

I just made coconut rice for the first time last week. My new fav way to prepare it. This looks perfectly light and summery for a hot day. Yum!

60 Andrea @ Vegvacious July 10, 2012

I have been loving grilled tofu lately! I just did grilled tofu in a garlic black bean sauce over the weekend – it packed some heat and was really good! The sweet & spicy salsa combo you’ve got going on up there looks pretty delicious as well!

61 Helen @ This New Song July 10, 2012

YUM! My roommate and I had your Weekend Glow Kale Salad last night for a little Monday night boost. Had the leftovers for lunch today. Delicious doesn’t even begin to describe it!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Helen I’m happy you both enjoyed the salad! Thanks for letting me know. :)

63 Adina July 10, 2012

The PERFECT blend of flavors!

64 michelle July 10, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight. I used chopped fresh rosemary instead of mint and it was perfect! Everyone loved it.

65 Colleen July 11, 2012

Make sure to make extra rice! Have just discovered the leftover rice tastes delicious for breakfast when blueberries and almonds are added. nom nom nom nom nom….

66 Nadiya @ Milk and Honey July 11, 2012

Nooo! I just used up all my tofu. Guess I need to go back to that grocery store to try out this recipe :D

67 Rachel July 11, 2012

I’m horrible at making tofu haha but this looks too good not to try!

68 Michele July 11, 2012

I am making this for dinner tonight. I prepared the coconut rice last evening and was tempted to eat it right out of the pan after tasting it–it was THAT good.

69 Jess July 11, 2012

Hi! Just wanted to pop by to say I made another variation on the rice, inspired by yours… coconut quinoa! I used 1 can of light coconut milk, 1 1/4 cup quinoa, 1 tbps garam masala, 1 tbsp chili flakes, 1/2 tbsp himalayan salt. It turned out delish!

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

love the garam masala & chili flakes idea…I’ll have to try this next time with quinoa :)

71 Melanie July 12, 2012

I made this last night and it was so delicious. So excited to have the leftovers for lunch (although I had to hold myself back from eating all the coconut rice)!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2012

Hey Melanie, Im glad to hear you enjoyed it! Enjoy the leftovers. Ours didnt last long either ;)

73 Moni Meals July 12, 2012

Can you please send this over for my dinner tonight, Ang? pretty pretty please? ;)
Seriously this looks so good Yum Yum Yum!

74 Ashley S July 12, 2012

Angela,

I made this last night and WOW. We love love loved the coconut rice! Also the first time I tried grilled tofu and you have me converted. I marinated mine for an hour in a combo of soy sauce and orange juice- yum :) My brother and I both adored this dinner.

Also, I wanted to tell you how much I love your dinner recipes for two. I am always cooking for just two; either myself and my brother or my boyfriend. It’s so nice to check the blog and see a complete meal for two that I can easily prepare. I shouldn’t live off your cookie recipes alone… though I might try!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

haha glad to hear that Ashley! I love your combo for the marinade…I will try that!

76 DHK July 13, 2012

Oh, the orange juice part sounds good – I will try that in the marinade!

77 Suzanne P July 12, 2012

Loved it, especially the rice! Thanks Angela!!

78 char eats greens July 13, 2012

I think Tyler and I need to invest in a grill because I have tofu in my fridge but I really have my heart set on grilled tofu, but it’s pretty hard without the grill part :P

I can’t even take it to my mom’s because hers, for some reason, doesn’t seem to be heating up much. Totally not grill-worthy, either!!

I love the simplicity of this meal, but all looks so amazing together. I need to buy a pineapple asap!

79 DHK July 13, 2012

Loved this recipe – have been eating the leftovers for the past few days and it is good again and again! I marinaded the tofu (soy sauce, sugar, ginger, & garlic) before grilling and it was fabulous! I cooked the rice in my rice cooker and it turned out great! (I was not sure how the coconut milk would do in a rice cooker, but it worked well). Thanks for a yummy recipe!

80 Cookie and Kate July 14, 2012

This reminds me of the pineapple ceviche I ate in Belize a couple of weeks ago. Your version is perfect now that I’m back home and back to my vegetarian ways!

81 Lisa d July 15, 2012

This was amazing! I made it last night. Hubby had the relish on swordfish, he isn’t into tofu. Rice was fab too!

82 Theresa July 17, 2012

I just found your blog via Pinterest- and how inspiring it is! Thank you for all these fantastic recipes! :) Cannot wait for breakfast!

83 Andrea July 17, 2012

Just made this tonight and it was was sooo delish! Perfect combination of flavors and textures. Thank you so much!

84 Andrea July 17, 2012

I forgot to mention that I marinated the tofu for about 20 minutes in lime juice, tamari, oil and rice vinegar before grilling.

85 Anna Crouch July 17, 2012

I made a similar dish tonight and it was sooooo amazing! Followed the recipe for the rice (and it was delicious!) but substituted some other ingredients for what I had on hand. I used mango instead of pineapple and added tomatoes to the salsa! Also, I was cooking for a meat-eating group, so I also made shrimp and green beans seasoned with cajun and blackened seasoning! The sweet rice mixed with the spicy shrimp and green beans was amazing!!! And then the salsa….oh my! There were absolutely no left overs!

86 Erin July 19, 2012

First off i LOVE your blog!! it is the only one i cook from now, and i have LOVED all of your recipes! i saw this one and just had to try it!!! I love coconut, i love pineapple, and i love trying your recipes so…why not right?

good news: pineapple salsa was great!!
bad news: i tried cooking the rice 4 different times in the last week or so when you posted this. and all 4 times terribly unsuccessfully:( Not sure if cooking something 4 times failing each time is determination or foolishness…;)

either way if you have any suggestions i’d LOVE to hear them **oh and i have cooked rice before…um….only 2x to be exact…;) both were a few weeks ago making your amazing butternut squash burritos, and the rice turned out great, so… not sure what my deal is… :(

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Hey Erin!
I’ve had problems cooking rice in the past too and I discovered that it’s crucial to cover the pot with a lid while cooking. Are you leaving the lid off by chance? Other than that I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be turning out.
Glad you enjoyed the pineapple salsa!

88 Erin July 23, 2012

yah i am:( seriously i am so sad i can’t figure it out, ive decided to take a break from rice for a week, then i’ll try it again;) your recipes are just SO fantastic and such an answer to many prayers! THANK YOU!!!!!!

89 Sydney July 19, 2012

I made this recipe for my mom and her friends and it was delicious! Thanks for always making such colorful, tasty and healthy meals!

90 Matt G. July 24, 2012

An awesome use of coconut rice – brown rice porridge (just add water to get it soupy) with dried fruit (cherries, strawberries, or craisons) & walnuts. Side bowl of maple syrup for dipping. It’s awesome.

91 Lacey July 26, 2012

I made this with quinoa instead of rice and marinated our tofu in a sesame teriyaki sauce. The salsa is AMAZING!!!! We barely had room for the entree after dipping tortilla chips in the salsa once it was prepped. I love the fresh jalapeno’s in there – used two from my garden.

I love every recipe that I’ve ever made of yours – nothing has ever lacked flavor or been to intricate of a meal for me to put together after a long day at work. Keep them coming and I look forward to buying your cookbook in the near future!! :-)

92 Cindy August 13, 2012

I can’t wait to try this recipe! Do you use sweetened or unsweetened coconut? Thanks!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2012

Unsweetened :) Enjoy Cindy!

94 Annie May 14, 2013

I made this tonight! I could have eaten the entire bowl of rice on my own. Can’t wait to eat the leftovers!

95 Gina August 4, 2013

Angela! This was so delicious! How do I send you my picture?!? Thank you for inspiring me!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013

Hey Gina, You can upload your pic to my Facebook page, I think!

97 Alicia August 30, 2013

Angela,

I only discovered your site recently and this was the first recipe I’ve attempted. Also my first time barbecuing tofu. Everything turned out perfectly and the smell and presentation was so nice, that my cheeseburger-eating family members were all jealous. Thanks, and keep up the great work!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2013

Hey Alicia, I’m so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know.:)

99 Cyndi March 26, 2014

I made this tonight hoping to bring on some spring weather after a long hard Michigan winter. It is sooo good, and I know we’ll be eating it many more times before next winter comes along. I had a little trouble getting the coconut rice cooked all the way; I had to keep adding water until it was cooked. Finally realized that I had used long-grain rice instead of short grain….oops! It all worked out and it was great once it finished cooking, haha! Next time I’ll try the quinoa! It was my first time making tofu like this; definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks!

100 Erin L. Copeland May 11, 2014

I made this for the first time tonight – but I made it with grilled lemon chicken instead of tofu since my husband isn’t a fan. I also added an avocado to the salsa which turned out fantastic – but the hit from this recipe has to be the coconut brown rice! I just bought a huge bag of brown rice from Costco, but have to admit, it can sometimes taste so bland. This is definitely a recipe I’ll be keeping around – don’t forget to grate the fresh nutmeg on top, it really hits it home!
Thanks for the great recipe!

101 Kris July 7, 2014

This looks like a good summer recipe. Could you or any one recommend a marinade for the tofu. It starting to grow on me but years of being a carnivore my hubby still is not a big fan by any means.

102 Stephanie April 11, 2015

Just made this with marinaded tofu.. For the marinade I used parsley, lemon juice (1) , nutritional yeast (1 tbsp), garlic (2), olive oil (2 tbsp), hemp seeds (1 tbsp) and a bit of ground ginger and salt…blended everything then added some cashew butter until it was thick enough. Perfect match for this recipe. :)