Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

IMG 1894   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Here’s a fun summer square that highlights two of my favourite foods – summer cherries and almonds! I don’t know what it is, but I just love the combination of almonds and cherries.

Add a touch of almond extract and it puts me over the edge in bliss.

IMG 1899   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

I adapted my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies to make this recipe because I absolutely love the almond cookie dough. The magic is in the almond meal base; it creates a lovely “buttery” flavour without any added oil required.

These squares are lightly sweetened which allows the almonds and cherries to really shine and it’s also gluten-free making it a treat many people can enjoy. For the fruit layer, I made cherry chia jam, but feel free to use any jam – prepared or homemade – as you wish. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries would all work well here!

IMG 1893   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

These are so wholesome I found them on my breakfast plate crumbled over blueberry vegan overnight oats one morning. Enjoy them on their own or serve with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. I used agave in this recipe because I was out of maple syrup and it worked great. Feel free to use whichever you wish, keeping in mind that agave is a bit sweeter per tablespoon so you might need an extra tablespoon of maple syrup if you go that route. Be sure to poke holes in the dough with a fork before baking. I didn’t do this and the dough puffed up on me in the middle, but it was easily fixed with a poke once out of the oven.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe (I was having problems with Recipage not loading this morning, if this happens to you please let me know!)

Adapted from my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies.

Yield: 1 (8-inch) pan cut into as many squares as you wish!

Almond squares:

• 1 & 1/2 cup raw almonds, ground into meal (or 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 6 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Cherry Almond Chia Seed Jam:

• 3 cups pitted cherries, roughly chopped
  • 2.5 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each direction.

2. Place almonds into a high-speed blender and grind into flour, making sure not to process too long or the oils will release. Or use store bought almond meal (use approx 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal).

3. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (almond meal, rice flour, ground flax, baking powder, and salt). Use your fingers to break up any clumps of almond meal. In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, agave, and almond extract. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. I got in there with my hands and kneaded the dough together a few times!

4. Set aside 1/2 cup of packed dough for crumbling on top of the jam later. Press the rest of the dough into the prepared pan. You may need to lightly wet your fingers as it’s sticky! Smooth it out and poke it with a fork about 8-10 times all over.

5. Pre-bake the almond base for 8 minutes at 350F. Remove and set aside.

6. Meanwhile, prepare the chia seed jam (or just use about 3/4-1 cup jam of choice). Add pitted cherries and agave into a medium-sized pot. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 mins, stirring frequently. Stir in chia seeds and cook until thickened, about 5 mins more. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract. Try not to burn your tongue shoveling it in your mouth!

7. Spread jam over the almond base and smooth out. Now crumble the reserved dough on top. Bake at 350F for another 12-13 minutes or so, watching closely. Crumble topping will be golden when ready. Cool in pan on a wire rack before attempting to remove, about 30-45 mins. If you are impatient like me, just cut yourself a square right out of the pan while you wait!

IMG 1906   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

IMG 1911   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Come to mama!

IMG 1914 2   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

I need to hide these from Eric….he’s obsessed with them and I’m trying to save some for company this weekend. Outlook not good.

If you like these crumble bars but can’t have nuts, you might want to check out my oat-based square recipes below!

Berry Bliss Oat Squares:

IMG 3729   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

and Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares (replace the 2 tbsp almond milk with another non-dairy milk if you need it nut-free)

20101018IMG 7576 thumb   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Now onto the next bag of cherries…muhauha.

Jenn @ Kale with a side of Life July 6, 2012

These look absolutely amazing!! I can’t wait to try them!

LizAshlee July 6, 2012

I love that combination too! I just tried a mixture of almond butter and frozen cherries and it was divine! These bars look fabulous! :)

Natalie July 6, 2012

Love the new header! It’s much more cheery than your old one!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 6, 2012

These look dangerously addictive! I love the new summer banner too. :)

Tonya July 6, 2012

LA-HUUUVVV THE NEW HEADER!!

Susan July 6, 2012

Yum-I LOVE cherries and your chia jam – been obsessed and made tons of strawberry and blueberry already. However I’m not sure that a bag of cherries will last long enough in the house to actually make the jam!
Btw- love the new header

Robyn July 6, 2012

Your photos are so good I could ALmost taste them(drool)…they look sooo good! I loved your blueberry/chia jam and just yesterday did it with strawberries and raspberries AND now cherries(love!!)

CharmedYogi July 6, 2012

Amazing as always.

Anna July 6, 2012

Hello! Great recipe! I read your blog often, but its my first time commenting! I really want to try this recipe, love the almond cherry combo and like that these seem really healthy! However, I do not have brown rice flour, and do not want to purchase it just for this recipe…so I was wondering if it would be possible to just use whole wheat or all purpose flour or even rye flour? Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Im sure another flour would work too :) Let me know what you try!

K July 6, 2012

made these yesterday, my husband didn’t believe they were healthy!
Very tasty, satisfies the sweet tooth without the guilt!!

Willow July 6, 2012

Gorgeous! I adore the combination of almond and fruit – blueberries, apricots, cherries, you name it. I love how versitile these bars can be, too. So easy to use whatever jam you like. Will definitely have to try these out! Just as soon as it cools down enough to turn on the oven… :P

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 6, 2012

Those look SO good!!!! What an incredible recipe, Angela! :D

Analise July 7, 2012

Hi Angela! These look outrageously good. Quick question: would almond paste (almost like marzipan) be vegan? I’m not sure if it has trace amounts of any non-vegan ingredients, but I’m curious about future baking ventures with or without it. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Im not positive but I would check the ingredients on the package. I would also think it’s vegan but you never know sometimes. hah

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 7, 2012

Cherry + almonds are so good together! Throw a little chocolate in there, and I think calling it heaven would be appropriate ;)

Alise July 7, 2012

Your almond thumbprint cookies are my new favorite cookies. I can’t wait to try these… already adding them to the grocery list!

Farah July 8, 2012

Angela – To make the almond meal, if I use Blue Diamond almonds which aren’t raw will that work ok? And how ground up is “meal”?

Thanks for your great site and recipes!!
Farah

Jill Zamojcin July 10, 2012

Hi, Angela! I’ve been following your blog for some time now since a friend introduced me to it. First I just want to thank you for all of the wonderful GF recipes that you post! I made these bars tonight and they are OUTSTANDING! Thank you for this recipe! Have a great week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012

Hey Jill, I’m so glad you enjoyed the squares! Thanks so much for reading. :)

lisa woolner July 12, 2012

Hello! I feel so grateful for stumbling upon your site! Wow, amazing topics, recipes, insights and more!!!! Question, in your recipes have you ever experimented with xyla/xylatol..the stevia like sweetner from hardwood trees…zero calories and does not raise blood sugar levels. Just wondering what you think, aparently no adverse side effects. Thanks again for providing a such a fabulous source of information.
Lisa

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2012

Hey Lisa, It’s so nice to meet you, thanks for your kind words!
I haven’t tried xylatol. I had some pretty bad stomach issues when I used to eat other artificial sweeteners so I have just stayed away from them all. I’m not knocking it by any means, just dont have any personal experience using it. Do you enjoy it?

Caryn July 15, 2012

I just took these out of the oven and I can’t wait to dig in. I am hoping a dinner of maple baked beans and cherry almond squares for dessert will convince my husband that healthy is delicious!! Love you blog :)

Caryn July 15, 2012

typo, love “your” blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2012

Thank you Caryn!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) July 16, 2012
Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

So glad you enjoyed them!

Lauren July 18, 2012

These are awesome! I made a double batch of your jam a couple days ago and these bars last night. My husband and I could not wait for them to cool :) they remind me of pb&j in yhe best way possible.
Where should I store these? Not that they’ll last long around here.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2012

Hey Lauren, I’m happy you both enjoyed them! I couldnt wait for them to cool either :) I stored mine in the freezer, but the fridge is fine too.

Cara July 19, 2012

I’m traveling through central British Columbia in the coming week, where I know I am going to find plentiful cherries and peaches :-) So I’m definitely trying out the cherry jam and thinking I want to try it with peaches, too. What do you think? WIll it work? Would you peel the peaches or just leave them?

Rise & Shine Life July 23, 2012

I just made the jam! Lol I’d had cherries in mind since I read the blueberry recipe! First time making jam & it is DEEEEE~LISH!! I used a couple shakes of cinnamon since I’m out of extract (of any kind) & reduced the sweetener to 2 tsp (I used honey). THANK you for such an awesome recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012

So glad to hear it was a hit!

Jackielyn Powell August 9, 2012

Hey there,

Just letting you know that i love your blog and i tried your recipe over the weekend. DELICIOUS!!! At the time i did not have any almond essence, but now i do and i am going to make another batch this afternoon, i’ve very excited. I hope you don’t mind that i featured a link to your blog on my blog?

From Jacs xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012

Thank you Jacs! I cant wait to hear what you think of them with the almond extract…its one of my favourite thingsin the world. Enjoy!

Lisa August 21, 2012

I was searching for a Gluten-Free chocolate chip cookie recipe and I stumbled across your fabulous blog! I baked these squares today and they are so delicious! I substituted fresh plums in place of the cherries (needed to use the abundant amount of plums I had picked).

As for the GF chocolate chip cookies–I have printed your recipe and will make them tomorrow:) Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes.

Karolina August 22, 2012

So yummy and oh so easy! :)

Nicole Pelletier September 5, 2012

These are amaaaazing! Thank you so much for the recipe. Im going to make them with blueberries next!

Katie November 12, 2012

I have peanut flour, do you see any problem in me subbing that in for the almond flour? I don’t do a lot of baking and I didn’t know if this was a sub I could do without compromising the taste or setup of the bars.

Thanks!

Kristy January 13, 2013

I’m wondering if you could use dried or frozen cherries or jam as the filling?

Pie Recipe January 15, 2013

Thanks Alannah! its good.

Pratik yemek tarifleri March 13, 2013

Thank you so much for the recipe. Im going to make them with blueberries next! Thanks Alannah!

Nicole March 18, 2013

just thought i’d leave a comment here:

you said you dont know what it is about Cherry + Almond.
I can tell you why – they are closely related plant species.

Viola April 14, 2013

Another winner! I made this twice now because my family couldn’t stop eating them, and then they begged for more. Absolutely delicious! Love, love, love! Thanks Angela!

FrisbeeFlinger July 14, 2013

I made these today and took them over to my Mom’s house for dessert after Sunday dinner. They were delish and decadent! Everyone loved them and I love that there is no butter or sugar. Great recipe, I will be making these all summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2013

So glad they were a hit!

Samantha July 19, 2013

I am definitely making these this week!!

Out of curiosity, are there any adjustments I should make if I’m using whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat all-purpose flour instead of brown rice flour?

Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013

Hey Samantha, I haven’t tried it with another flour, but generally it’s a 1:1 sub for something like this. Let me know how it goes!

Samantha July 23, 2013

Thanks so much, Angela! I did make these with whole wheat flour and they were EXCELLENT!! I’m honestly eating these for breakfast–they are just filled with such healthy ingredients! Nutritionally It’s like eating a handful of almonds and cherries, but it’s a COOKIE. When I make these next I might try reducing the agave a little to fully transform it into a breakfast food.

Angelica September 13, 2013

Angela,
I made these today and they are so delicious…don’t know if they’re gonna last til my party tomorrow. I am not vegan but came across your blog from somewhere and have loved every single recipe I’ve tried (I just make minor substitutions with the milk, etc. that I have on hand). Thank you for the great recipes, humor, and inspiration!

Heather February 4, 2014

Can you use oat flour instead of almonds? To save calories. Thanks! LOVE this site!

Heather February 4, 2014

My reason for asking is I soak my almonds to release the proteins. After they’ve been soaked, making them into a flour is difficult bc they are slightly wet. Can I use another nut/oat flour?

Page 2 of 2«12