Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 5, 2012

IMG_1894

Here’s a fun summer square that highlights two of my favourite foods – summer cherries and almonds! I don’t know what it is, but I just love the combination of almonds and cherries.

Add a touch of almond extract and it puts me over the edge in bliss.

IMG_1899

I adapted my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies to make this recipe because I absolutely love the almond cookie dough. The magic is in the almond meal base; it creates a lovely “buttery” flavour without any added oil required.

These squares are lightly sweetened which allows the almonds and cherries to really shine and it’s also gluten-free making it a treat many people can enjoy. For the fruit layer, I made cherry chia jam, but feel free to use any jam – prepared or homemade – as you wish. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries would all work well here!

IMG_1893

Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

These are so wholesome I found them on my breakfast plate crumbled over blueberry vegan overnight oats one morning. Enjoy them on their own or serve with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. I used agave in this recipe because I was out of maple syrup and it worked great. Feel free to use whichever you wish, keeping in mind that agave is a bit sweeter per tablespoon so you might need an extra tablespoon of maple syrup if you go that route. Be sure to poke holes in the dough with a fork before baking. I didn’t do this and the dough puffed up on me in the middle, but it was easily fixed with a poke once out of the oven.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe (I was having problems with Recipage not loading this morning, if this happens to you please let me know!)

Adapted from my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies.

Yield: 1 (8-inch) pan cut into as many squares as you wish!

Almond squares:

• 1 & 1/2 cup raw almonds, ground into meal (or 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 6 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Cherry Almond Chia Seed Jam:

• 3 cups pitted cherries, roughly chopped
  • 2.5 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each direction.

2. Place almonds into a high-speed blender and grind into flour, making sure not to process too long or the oils will release. Or use store bought almond meal (use approx 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal).

3. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (almond meal, rice flour, ground flax, baking powder, and salt). Use your fingers to break up any clumps of almond meal. In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, agave, and almond extract. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. I got in there with my hands and kneaded the dough together a few times!

4. Set aside 1/2 cup of packed dough for crumbling on top of the jam later. Press the rest of the dough into the prepared pan. You may need to lightly wet your fingers as it’s sticky! Smooth it out and poke it with a fork about 8-10 times all over.

5. Pre-bake the almond base for 8 minutes at 350F. Remove and set aside.

6. Meanwhile, prepare the chia seed jam (or just use about 3/4-1 cup jam of choice). Add pitted cherries and agave into a medium-sized pot. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 mins, stirring frequently. Stir in chia seeds and cook until thickened, about 5 mins more. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract. Try not to burn your tongue shoveling it in your mouth!

7. Spread jam over the almond base and smooth out. Now crumble the reserved dough on top. Bake at 350F for another 12-13 minutes or so, watching closely. Crumble topping will be golden when ready. Cool in pan on a wire rack before attempting to remove, about 30-45 mins. If you are impatient like me, just cut yourself a square right out of the pan while you wait!

IMG_1906

IMG_1911

Come to mama!

IMG_1914-2

I need to hide these from Eric….he’s obsessed with them and I’m trying to save some for company this weekend. Outlook not good.

If you like these crumble bars but can’t have nuts, you might want to check out my oat-based square recipes below!

Berry Bliss Oat Squares:

IMG_3729

and Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares (replace the 2 tbsp almond milk with another non-dairy milk if you need it nut-free)

20101018IMG_7576_thumb

Now onto the next bag of cherries…muhauha.

K July 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

These look absolutely delicious!! I’m off to buy cherries now! I might do blueberry/cherry jam since I haven’t gotten to make your blueberry jam yet :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 5, 2012 at 9:12 am

I have some blueberries I need to use up so I think I might try subbing those for the cherries and make this tomorrow morning!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

Almond extract is such a great addition! I’ve been adding it to everything lately – from oats to shakes! It give things a cookie dough-esque taste.

Gorgeous crumble – I can’t get enough cherries this season.

Kathryn July 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

These sound really tasty and I love the idea of that buttery almond base!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 5, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ohh wow! Now I’m starving (well actually, I’ve been craving these bars since I saw them on Instagram last night and didn’t even know what they were!) Great photos Ange!

Cait's Plate July 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

Beautiful photos as usual Angela! These look so yummy!

kek tarifleri April 17, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thanks

Dana July 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

Oh my. These could be my undoing. What gorgeous pix. I’m ready to bake all three of those bars (for scientific taste testing purposes only, natch)! Thanks for the warning re blowing to cool before inhaling the burning hot jam. Will no doubt come in handy. I’ve never made chia seed based jam before, but what a fantastic idea! A natural thickener w/ omegas to boot. Thanks Angela! Love your posts.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012 at 7:46 am

hah I speak from experience ;) Enjoy Dana!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Love this idea!! I absolutely love cherries in the summer!

Moni Meals July 5, 2012 at 9:54 am

You certainly have me motivated to make these Angela.
They look just simply delicious. Anyone would love them too!
Great pics as well!
Have a great day. :)

Heathy @ Sweetly Raw July 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yummy! Cherries are one of my favourite summer fruits. Looks like a great recipe Angela!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) July 5, 2012 at 10:10 am

Dang lady, this looks amazing. Oh I thought I would update you. We are moving to West Chester, PA. :)

Angela July 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

ah congrats! I’m sure it will be a busy summer for you. Goodluck with the move!

Janae @ Bring-Joy July 5, 2012 at 10:22 am

I agree with you, almonds & cherries are a great combo. I love the contrast of the blue & red in your photos. Really makes the crumble bars pop.

I’m currently living in Washington state & I’m surrounded by cherry orchards. Cherries are in season now–we just got several gallons of fresh cherries given to us!

Angela July 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

Lucky girl…enjoy them!

Fanta July 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

If only computers came with an edible function *stomach growls* This is an amazing post! :)

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day July 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Oh WOW, these look SO good! I am slightly obsessed with cherries at the moment so I am definitely going to have to make these. So smart!!

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

These look absolutley delicious! What an amazing recipe!!

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 5, 2012 at 10:45 am

Holy yummers! These look so good!!! I think they will actually fit into phase 1 of the clean eating/fitness plan I just started, so I may have to make them up this weekend — the only problem will be limiting my serving size haha! There really is nothing better than fresh cherries in the summer :-)

Andrea July 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Oh mah goodness. I need these, like now. Last year was the first time I had ever tried a fresh cherry ( I KNOW.) and I was waiting ever so [im]patiently for cherry season this year and now am OBSESSED once again. Your chia seed jams look so delicious! And nutritious as well! Just might have to make these with my ginormous bag of cherries :) Have a beautiful day!

tiffany July 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

Hi Angela!

Wow, these look delicious!

Would I be able to sub the flax meal for something else? I want to make these for my aunt but she’s allergic to flax.

Can any gluten free flour be subbed for rice flour?
I made your stacked up pancakes with kamut flour yesterday morning. They were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela July 5, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hey Tiffany,
Good question! You can sub ground chia for the flax. If you have chia seeds, just grind some in a coffee grinder or blender. I don’t know of another substitute unfortunately. I haven’t made these without the flax, so Im really not sure how much “binding” it does in this recipe.
I would guess you can sub the BR flour for any type of flour you wish.
Glad you enjoyed the pancakes! I was just looking at that recipe yesterday. :)

Tiffany July 6, 2012 at 12:14 am

By any chance, can you share your beauty regimen? Your skin looks flawless! Hope you are having a great week.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life July 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

Yum – these look like something that would be sold in Starbucks, but so much better! I’m excited to try them because I have a whole thing of almond extract that has been quite neglected – I always find it too strong so I use it in a recipe and then end up feeling like it overpowered the whole thing. I trust your directions though so will give it a go!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Maybe start with half of the extract called for? If you aren’t a fan, it might seem a bit strong, hah

Jacqueline July 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Oh my word! These look SO good! My dad is coming in town this weekend and he LOVES stuff like this – perfect opportunity to try them out.

Meg @ Sweet Twist July 5, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Oh I need to make something with all the cherries I have. YUM!

Sarah July 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Oh, these look amazing. Your pictures have me wanting to lick the screen lol!

Can’t wait to try!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

these look like my next favorite snack. LOVE!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm

These look to good to eat! I’m addicted to cherries right now!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 5, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I’m loving the cherry recipes all over the place right now. I can’t keep my fridge stocked with enough cherries to make everything but these are a must!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

These look to die for!! I would have to smack my hubby’s hands off them too, they’d be gone in seconds if left alone!

Jessica July 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Do you think you could use frozen berries/cherries in the chia seed jam?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I haven’t tried it yet myself, but I can’t see why not. The cooking time would probably be a bit longer. As long as you cook it until thickened I think it would be fine!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Oh Angela, these look so good and remind me of the raspberry crumble bars my mom made from my dad’s raspberries from his garden. Except yours are vegan and just a smidge healthier :)

Taiwan Vegan July 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Your photos glow! :) That looks good!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity July 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Bravo! These look so amazing!
Its winter an cold here so unfortunately there isn’t many cherries around but will look in the frozen section and hope they turn out as well as yours x

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries July 5, 2012 at 5:07 pm

wowww, these looks fabulous! my mouth is watering!

Jessica July 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I just made these, only I used almond flour instead of rice flour. I don’t know how I will stop myself from eating the whole pan, as they are SO delicious…also made your BBQ chickpea burgers & crispy potatoes last night & loved every bite! Hope I don’t sound like a stalker, but I am obsessed with your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Hey Jessica, Im so happy to hear that! Thanks for letting me know. :) We almost ate the whole pan too and then I had to put them in the back of the freezer to save for company! haha

Geeta July 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Those look summery and delicious! Back to the kitchen I go…

Margaret July 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

These look so amazing! I’d be obsessed with them if they were in the house! ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 5, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Yummy! I love your oat squares(with all kind of different fruit fillings!) so I’m excited to give these a try :D

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 5, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Wow. These look fantastic! Definitely a mix of some of my favourite ingredients too. I also love the new header :)

Kerry July 5, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Love the new header! SO pretty!
I had to comment on that right away. Now I’ll read the new entry ;)

alannah July 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Hi Angela,
The squares look delicious, and I really love the vibrant blue background! Your idea to put chia seeds in jam has really intrigued me, I just haven’t had the time to make a batch of jam. It’s definitely on the to-do list, right after I go berry picking :)

Also love your new header!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

Thanks Alannah!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm

This kind of makes me want to run to the grocery store right now and buy the biggest bag of cherries I can find.

Looks amazing! I’m always impressed with vegan baking – I can never quite pull it off without the texture being off.

Sonal July 6, 2012 at 6:42 am

Love love the new header!! Perfect for summer :)

Jenn @ Kale with a side of Life July 6, 2012 at 6:44 am

These look absolutely amazing!! I can’t wait to try them!

LizAshlee July 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

I love that combination too! I just tried a mixture of almond butter and frozen cherries and it was divine! These bars look fabulous! :)

Natalie July 6, 2012 at 8:00 am

Love the new header! It’s much more cheery than your old one!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

These look dangerously addictive! I love the new summer banner too. :)

Tonya July 6, 2012 at 8:16 am

LA-HUUUVVV THE NEW HEADER!!

Susan July 6, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yum-I LOVE cherries and your chia jam – been obsessed and made tons of strawberry and blueberry already. However I’m not sure that a bag of cherries will last long enough in the house to actually make the jam!
Btw- love the new header

Robyn July 6, 2012 at 8:57 am

Your photos are so good I could ALmost taste them(drool)…they look sooo good! I loved your blueberry/chia jam and just yesterday did it with strawberries and raspberries AND now cherries(love!!)

CharmedYogi July 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Amazing as always.

Anna July 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hello! Great recipe! I read your blog often, but its my first time commenting! I really want to try this recipe, love the almond cherry combo and like that these seem really healthy! However, I do not have brown rice flour, and do not want to purchase it just for this recipe…so I was wondering if it would be possible to just use whole wheat or all purpose flour or even rye flour? Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Im sure another flour would work too :) Let me know what you try!

K July 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm

made these yesterday, my husband didn’t believe they were healthy!
Very tasty, satisfies the sweet tooth without the guilt!!

Willow July 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Gorgeous! I adore the combination of almond and fruit – blueberries, apricots, cherries, you name it. I love how versitile these bars can be, too. So easy to use whatever jam you like. Will definitely have to try these out! Just as soon as it cools down enough to turn on the oven… :P

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 6, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Those look SO good!!!! What an incredible recipe, Angela! :D

Analise July 7, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hi Angela! These look outrageously good. Quick question: would almond paste (almost like marzipan) be vegan? I’m not sure if it has trace amounts of any non-vegan ingredients, but I’m curious about future baking ventures with or without it. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012 at 7:35 am

Im not positive but I would check the ingredients on the package. I would also think it’s vegan but you never know sometimes. hah

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Cherry + almonds are so good together! Throw a little chocolate in there, and I think calling it heaven would be appropriate ;)

Alise July 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Your almond thumbprint cookies are my new favorite cookies. I can’t wait to try these… already adding them to the grocery list!

Farah July 8, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Angela – To make the almond meal, if I use Blue Diamond almonds which aren’t raw will that work ok? And how ground up is “meal”?

Thanks for your great site and recipes!!
Farah

Jill Zamojcin July 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hi, Angela! I’ve been following your blog for some time now since a friend introduced me to it. First I just want to thank you for all of the wonderful GF recipes that you post! I made these bars tonight and they are OUTSTANDING! Thank you for this recipe! Have a great week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hey Jill, I’m so glad you enjoyed the squares! Thanks so much for reading. :)

lisa woolner July 12, 2012 at 1:54 am

Hello! I feel so grateful for stumbling upon your site! Wow, amazing topics, recipes, insights and more!!!! Question, in your recipes have you ever experimented with xyla/xylatol..the stevia like sweetner from hardwood trees…zero calories and does not raise blood sugar levels. Just wondering what you think, aparently no adverse side effects. Thanks again for providing a such a fabulous source of information.
Lisa

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

Hey Lisa, It’s so nice to meet you, thanks for your kind words!
I haven’t tried xylatol. I had some pretty bad stomach issues when I used to eat other artificial sweeteners so I have just stayed away from them all. I’m not knocking it by any means, just dont have any personal experience using it. Do you enjoy it?

Caryn July 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I just took these out of the oven and I can’t wait to dig in. I am hoping a dinner of maple baked beans and cherry almond squares for dessert will convince my husband that healthy is delicious!! Love you blog :)

Caryn July 15, 2012 at 12:58 pm

typo, love “your” blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Thank you Caryn!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) July 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

I made your bars! Super yum! Thanks! http://www.singerskitchen.com/2012/07/we-are-moving.html

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012 at 10:17 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

Lauren July 18, 2012 at 6:01 am

These are awesome! I made a double batch of your jam a couple days ago and these bars last night. My husband and I could not wait for them to cool :) they remind me of pb&j in yhe best way possible.
Where should I store these? Not that they’ll last long around here.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hey Lauren, I’m happy you both enjoyed them! I couldnt wait for them to cool either :) I stored mine in the freezer, but the fridge is fine too.

Cara July 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’m traveling through central British Columbia in the coming week, where I know I am going to find plentiful cherries and peaches :-) So I’m definitely trying out the cherry jam and thinking I want to try it with peaches, too. What do you think? WIll it work? Would you peel the peaches or just leave them?

Rise & Shine Life July 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I just made the jam! Lol I’d had cherries in mind since I read the blueberry recipe! First time making jam & it is DEEEEE~LISH!! I used a couple shakes of cinnamon since I’m out of extract (of any kind) & reduced the sweetener to 2 tsp (I used honey). THANK you for such an awesome recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012 at 7:52 am

So glad to hear it was a hit!

Jackielyn Powell August 9, 2012 at 12:09 am

Hey there,

Just letting you know that i love your blog and i tried your recipe over the weekend. DELICIOUS!!! At the time i did not have any almond essence, but now i do and i am going to make another batch this afternoon, i’ve very excited. I hope you don’t mind that i featured a link to your blog on my blog?

From Jacs xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012 at 6:42 am

Thank you Jacs! I cant wait to hear what you think of them with the almond extract…its one of my favourite thingsin the world. Enjoy!

Lisa August 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I was searching for a Gluten-Free chocolate chip cookie recipe and I stumbled across your fabulous blog! I baked these squares today and they are so delicious! I substituted fresh plums in place of the cherries (needed to use the abundant amount of plums I had picked).

As for the GF chocolate chip cookies–I have printed your recipe and will make them tomorrow:) Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes.

Karolina August 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm

So yummy and oh so easy! :)

Nicole Pelletier September 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

These are amaaaazing! Thank you so much for the recipe. Im going to make them with blueberries next!

Katie November 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I have peanut flour, do you see any problem in me subbing that in for the almond flour? I don’t do a lot of baking and I didn’t know if this was a sub I could do without compromising the taste or setup of the bars.

Thanks!

Kristy January 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I’m wondering if you could use dried or frozen cherries or jam as the filling?

Pie Recipe January 15, 2013 at 5:38 am

Thanks Alannah! its good.

Pratik yemek tarifleri March 13, 2013 at 7:26 am

Thank you so much for the recipe. Im going to make them with blueberries next! Thanks Alannah!

Nicole March 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

just thought i’d leave a comment here:

you said you dont know what it is about Cherry + Almond.
I can tell you why – they are closely related plant species.

Viola April 14, 2013 at 8:10 am

Another winner! I made this twice now because my family couldn’t stop eating them, and then they begged for more. Absolutely delicious! Love, love, love! Thanks Angela!

FrisbeeFlinger July 14, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I made these today and took them over to my Mom’s house for dessert after Sunday dinner. They were delish and decadent! Everyone loved them and I love that there is no butter or sugar. Great recipe, I will be making these all summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 15, 2013 at 8:24 am

So glad they were a hit!

Samantha July 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I am definitely making these this week!!

Out of curiosity, are there any adjustments I should make if I’m using whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat all-purpose flour instead of brown rice flour?

Thank you!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Hey Samantha, I haven’t tried it with another flour, but generally it’s a 1:1 sub for something like this. Let me know how it goes!

Samantha July 23, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Thanks so much, Angela! I did make these with whole wheat flour and they were EXCELLENT!! I’m honestly eating these for breakfast–they are just filled with such healthy ingredients! Nutritionally It’s like eating a handful of almonds and cherries, but it’s a COOKIE. When I make these next I might try reducing the agave a little to fully transform it into a breakfast food.

Angelica September 13, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Angela,
I made these today and they are so delicious…don’t know if they’re gonna last til my party tomorrow. I am not vegan but came across your blog from somewhere and have loved every single recipe I’ve tried (I just make minor substitutions with the milk, etc. that I have on hand). Thank you for the great recipes, humor, and inspiration!

Heather February 4, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Can you use oat flour instead of almonds? To save calories. Thanks! LOVE this site!

Heather February 4, 2014 at 3:40 pm

My reason for asking is I soak my almonds to release the proteins. After they’ve been soaked, making them into a flour is difficult bc they are slightly wet. Can I use another nut/oat flour?

plasterer bristol February 22, 2016 at 7:42 am

This sounds so good. i lkove cherrys, thanks for sharing this recipe.

Simon

Shannon June 17, 2017 at 7:49 am

Hi Angela,

I would like to make this recipe today for tonight’s dessert but I don’t have a square pan. Can I use a muffin tin and make them as individual portions? Or I was thinking of doubling the recipe and using a glass or ceramic lasanga size pan. What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Shannon

Angela Liddon July 4, 2017 at 9:50 am

Hi Shannon, I think you could really do either! (Though they might be a little tricky to get out of the muffin tin? But maybe you could try using paper liners.) Just keep an eye on the pre-bake and bake times–you’ll likely need to reduce it a little for the individual portions, and up it for a doubled recipe. When the crumble topping is golden, you’ll know the squares are ready!