Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

IMG 1894   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Here’s a fun summer square that highlights two of my favourite foods – summer cherries and almonds! I don’t know what it is, but I just love the combination of almonds and cherries.

Add a touch of almond extract and it puts me over the edge in bliss.

IMG 1899   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

I adapted my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies to make this recipe because I absolutely love the almond cookie dough. The magic is in the almond meal base; it creates a lovely “buttery” flavour without any added oil required.

These squares are lightly sweetened which allows the almonds and cherries to really shine and it’s also gluten-free making it a treat many people can enjoy. For the fruit layer, I made cherry chia jam, but feel free to use any jam – prepared or homemade – as you wish. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries would all work well here!

IMG 1893   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

These are so wholesome I found them on my breakfast plate crumbled over blueberry vegan overnight oats one morning. Enjoy them on their own or serve with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. I used agave in this recipe because I was out of maple syrup and it worked great. Feel free to use whichever you wish, keeping in mind that agave is a bit sweeter per tablespoon so you might need an extra tablespoon of maple syrup if you go that route. Be sure to poke holes in the dough with a fork before baking. I didn’t do this and the dough puffed up on me in the middle, but it was easily fixed with a poke once out of the oven.

Print, Email, or Text this recipe (I was having problems with Recipage not loading this morning, if this happens to you please let me know!)

Adapted from my Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies.

Yield: 1 (8-inch) pan cut into as many squares as you wish!

Almond squares:

• 1 & 1/2 cup raw almonds, ground into meal (or 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 6 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Cherry Almond Chia Seed Jam:

• 3 cups pitted cherries, roughly chopped
  • 2.5 tbsp agave nectar (or maple syrup)
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8-inch square pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each direction.

2. Place almonds into a high-speed blender and grind into flour, making sure not to process too long or the oils will release. Or use store bought almond meal (use approx 1.5 cups + 2 tbsp almond meal).

3. In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (almond meal, rice flour, ground flax, baking powder, and salt). Use your fingers to break up any clumps of almond meal. In a small bowl, mix together the almond butter, agave, and almond extract. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. I got in there with my hands and kneaded the dough together a few times!

4. Set aside 1/2 cup of packed dough for crumbling on top of the jam later. Press the rest of the dough into the prepared pan. You may need to lightly wet your fingers as it’s sticky! Smooth it out and poke it with a fork about 8-10 times all over.

5. Pre-bake the almond base for 8 minutes at 350F. Remove and set aside.

6. Meanwhile, prepare the chia seed jam (or just use about 3/4-1 cup jam of choice). Add pitted cherries and agave into a medium-sized pot. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 mins, stirring frequently. Stir in chia seeds and cook until thickened, about 5 mins more. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract. Try not to burn your tongue shoveling it in your mouth!

7. Spread jam over the almond base and smooth out. Now crumble the reserved dough on top. Bake at 350F for another 12-13 minutes or so, watching closely. Crumble topping will be golden when ready. Cool in pan on a wire rack before attempting to remove, about 30-45 mins. If you are impatient like me, just cut yourself a square right out of the pan while you wait!

IMG 1906   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

IMG 1911   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Come to mama!

IMG 1914 2   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

I need to hide these from Eric….he’s obsessed with them and I’m trying to save some for company this weekend. Outlook not good.

If you like these crumble bars but can’t have nuts, you might want to check out my oat-based square recipes below!

Berry Bliss Oat Squares:

IMG 3729   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

and Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares (replace the 2 tbsp almond milk with another non-dairy milk if you need it nut-free)

20101018IMG 7576 thumb   Triple Almond Cherry Crumble Squares

Now onto the next bag of cherries…muhauha.

K July 5, 2012

These look absolutely delicious!! I’m off to buy cherries now! I might do blueberry/cherry jam since I haven’t gotten to make your blueberry jam yet :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 5, 2012

I have some blueberries I need to use up so I think I might try subbing those for the cherries and make this tomorrow morning!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 5, 2012

Almond extract is such a great addition! I’ve been adding it to everything lately – from oats to shakes! It give things a cookie dough-esque taste.

Gorgeous crumble – I can’t get enough cherries this season.

Kathryn July 5, 2012

These sound really tasty and I love the idea of that buttery almond base!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 5, 2012

Ohh wow! Now I’m starving (well actually, I’ve been craving these bars since I saw them on Instagram last night and didn’t even know what they were!) Great photos Ange!

Cait's Plate July 5, 2012

Beautiful photos as usual Angela! These look so yummy!

kek tarifleri April 17, 2013

Thanks

Dana July 5, 2012

Oh my. These could be my undoing. What gorgeous pix. I’m ready to bake all three of those bars (for scientific taste testing purposes only, natch)! Thanks for the warning re blowing to cool before inhaling the burning hot jam. Will no doubt come in handy. I’ve never made chia seed based jam before, but what a fantastic idea! A natural thickener w/ omegas to boot. Thanks Angela! Love your posts.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

hah I speak from experience ;) Enjoy Dana!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 5, 2012

Love this idea!! I absolutely love cherries in the summer!

Moni Meals July 5, 2012

You certainly have me motivated to make these Angela.
They look just simply delicious. Anyone would love them too!
Great pics as well!
Have a great day. :)

Heathy @ Sweetly Raw July 5, 2012

Yummy! Cherries are one of my favourite summer fruits. Looks like a great recipe Angela!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) July 5, 2012

Dang lady, this looks amazing. Oh I thought I would update you. We are moving to West Chester, PA. :)

Angela July 5, 2012

ah congrats! I’m sure it will be a busy summer for you. Goodluck with the move!

Janae @ Bring-Joy July 5, 2012

I agree with you, almonds & cherries are a great combo. I love the contrast of the blue & red in your photos. Really makes the crumble bars pop.

I’m currently living in Washington state & I’m surrounded by cherry orchards. Cherries are in season now–we just got several gallons of fresh cherries given to us!

Angela July 5, 2012

Lucky girl…enjoy them!

Fanta July 5, 2012

If only computers came with an edible function *stomach growls* This is an amazing post! :)

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day July 5, 2012

Oh WOW, these look SO good! I am slightly obsessed with cherries at the moment so I am definitely going to have to make these. So smart!!

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy July 5, 2012

These look absolutley delicious! What an amazing recipe!!

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 5, 2012

Holy yummers! These look so good!!! I think they will actually fit into phase 1 of the clean eating/fitness plan I just started, so I may have to make them up this weekend — the only problem will be limiting my serving size haha! There really is nothing better than fresh cherries in the summer :-)

Andrea July 5, 2012

Oh mah goodness. I need these, like now. Last year was the first time I had ever tried a fresh cherry ( I KNOW.) and I was waiting ever so [im]patiently for cherry season this year and now am OBSESSED once again. Your chia seed jams look so delicious! And nutritious as well! Just might have to make these with my ginormous bag of cherries :) Have a beautiful day!

tiffany July 5, 2012

Hi Angela!

Wow, these look delicious!

Would I be able to sub the flax meal for something else? I want to make these for my aunt but she’s allergic to flax.

Can any gluten free flour be subbed for rice flour?
I made your stacked up pancakes with kamut flour yesterday morning. They were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela July 5, 2012

Hey Tiffany,
Good question! You can sub ground chia for the flax. If you have chia seeds, just grind some in a coffee grinder or blender. I don’t know of another substitute unfortunately. I haven’t made these without the flax, so Im really not sure how much “binding” it does in this recipe.
I would guess you can sub the BR flour for any type of flour you wish.
Glad you enjoyed the pancakes! I was just looking at that recipe yesterday. :)

Tiffany July 6, 2012

By any chance, can you share your beauty regimen? Your skin looks flawless! Hope you are having a great week.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life July 5, 2012

Yum – these look like something that would be sold in Starbucks, but so much better! I’m excited to try them because I have a whole thing of almond extract that has been quite neglected – I always find it too strong so I use it in a recipe and then end up feeling like it overpowered the whole thing. I trust your directions though so will give it a go!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012

Maybe start with half of the extract called for? If you aren’t a fan, it might seem a bit strong, hah

Jacqueline July 5, 2012

Oh my word! These look SO good! My dad is coming in town this weekend and he LOVES stuff like this – perfect opportunity to try them out.

Meg @ Sweet Twist July 5, 2012

Oh I need to make something with all the cherries I have. YUM!

Sarah July 5, 2012

Oh, these look amazing. Your pictures have me wanting to lick the screen lol!

Can’t wait to try!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 5, 2012

these look like my next favorite snack. LOVE!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 5, 2012

These look to good to eat! I’m addicted to cherries right now!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama July 5, 2012

I’m loving the cherry recipes all over the place right now. I can’t keep my fridge stocked with enough cherries to make everything but these are a must!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 5, 2012

These look to die for!! I would have to smack my hubby’s hands off them too, they’d be gone in seconds if left alone!

Jessica July 5, 2012

Do you think you could use frozen berries/cherries in the chia seed jam?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2012

I haven’t tried it yet myself, but I can’t see why not. The cooking time would probably be a bit longer. As long as you cook it until thickened I think it would be fine!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 5, 2012

Oh Angela, these look so good and remind me of the raspberry crumble bars my mom made from my dad’s raspberries from his garden. Except yours are vegan and just a smidge healthier :)

Taiwan Vegan July 5, 2012

Your photos glow! :) That looks good!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity July 5, 2012

Bravo! These look so amazing!
Its winter an cold here so unfortunately there isn’t many cherries around but will look in the frozen section and hope they turn out as well as yours x

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries July 5, 2012

wowww, these looks fabulous! my mouth is watering!

Jessica July 5, 2012

I just made these, only I used almond flour instead of rice flour. I don’t know how I will stop myself from eating the whole pan, as they are SO delicious…also made your BBQ chickpea burgers & crispy potatoes last night & loved every bite! Hope I don’t sound like a stalker, but I am obsessed with your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Hey Jessica, Im so happy to hear that! Thanks for letting me know. :) We almost ate the whole pan too and then I had to put them in the back of the freezer to save for company! haha

Geeta July 5, 2012

Those look summery and delicious! Back to the kitchen I go…

Margaret July 5, 2012

These look so amazing! I’d be obsessed with them if they were in the house! ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 5, 2012

Yummy! I love your oat squares(with all kind of different fruit fillings!) so I’m excited to give these a try :D

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 5, 2012

Wow. These look fantastic! Definitely a mix of some of my favourite ingredients too. I also love the new header :)

Kerry July 5, 2012

Love the new header! SO pretty!
I had to comment on that right away. Now I’ll read the new entry ;)

alannah July 5, 2012

Hi Angela,
The squares look delicious, and I really love the vibrant blue background! Your idea to put chia seeds in jam has really intrigued me, I just haven’t had the time to make a batch of jam. It’s definitely on the to-do list, right after I go berry picking :)

Also love your new header!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Thanks Alannah!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 5, 2012

This kind of makes me want to run to the grocery store right now and buy the biggest bag of cherries I can find.

Looks amazing! I’m always impressed with vegan baking – I can never quite pull it off without the texture being off.

Sonal July 6, 2012

Love love the new header!! Perfect for summer :)

Page 1 of 212»