Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

This is the first time I’ve opened my laptop in almost 4 days now, which feels like f-o-r-e-v-e-r. As much as I miss blogging, it also feels really good to disconnect once and a while! I finally found a spare moment this afternoon to go through some pictures, so here is a recap of what I’ve been up to.

Thursday morning, we were up at the lovely hour of 4am to get to our early morning flight. I think I clocked in at about 3.5 hours sleep. We’re off to a great start!

Also, never underestimate how much room Super Soaker water guns will take up in suitcases…

20120620_172615

On the bright side, we arrived in Calgary around 9am with the entire day ahead of us.

Also never underestimate the power of a latte.

20120621_095513

I always love traveling east to west; those extra hours are greatly appreciated. My body, however, is still on Toronto time. I’ve been getting up between 5-6am since I arrived despite staying up quite late each night. I’m sure I will crash and burn any day now.

My grandpa and Diane also flew out from Ontario! Grandpa is feeling so well these days and he gained some much needed weight (he said about 35 pounds) since the winter. It’s SO good to see him doing so well despite his Leukemia diagnosis in 2010. He’s such a fighter! My mom is also thrilled as you can imagine. I feel so blessed to be able to spend this time with him.

IMG_1486

Shortly after arriving at my mom and John’s, we headed out to get some coffee. My sister and nephews also met up with us and we’ve been attached at the hip ever since. They agreed to let me stuff them in my suitcase on the way back…

20120621_115048

Insert soy latte #2.

Anglia? You can call me whatever you want as long as you bring me sleep in a cup.

20120621_115204

The boys loved their Super Soakers, Battleship, and Glo bars!! Auntie and Uncle for the win. We had an epic water gun battle for hours on Thursday. I want to be a kid again!

IMG_3289

On Friday, we took a road trip to Lake Louise.

IMG_1293

From the turquoise water to the snow capped mountains, it took our breath away. What a beautiful place!

IMG_1360

IMG_1365

A stitched photo courtesy of Eric:

IMG_1324_stitch-2

We hiked around the lake for a couple hours before heading in for lunch.

IMG_1390 IMG_1369IMG_1339

We also checked out Moraine Lake on our way out, which was also stunning (below)!  Some of the snow caps were melting and you could see waterfalls trickling down the mountainside. Absolutely beautiful. We’d like to come back here another time and stay for a couple nights so we can do some major hiking. There is never enough time to pack it all in!

IMG_1401

On Friday night, Kristi had us over for dinner and a sleep over! Lots of cuddling with my nephews ensued.

She made us the most amazing Mexican quinoa casserole and also my weekend glow kale salad. Awesome meal after a long day in the mountains.

IMG_1419

We also treated each other to manis and pedis as late birthday gifts to each other. My feet haven’t had a pedi in over a year…it wasn’t pretty. They are currently soft as a baby’s bottom. :)

20120622_193631 20120622_195539

Let’s see what else?

My sis took me to Westside Rec centre for her good friend Cindy’s booty-kicking (ok, total body kicking!) “Urban Strong” weight and cardio class. Think, body pump class, only with intense (intense!) cardio intervals between each set. Westside is rumoured to be one of the best fitness facilities in all of North America. You should see their spin room….it has 50 spin bikes complete with a huge projector screen that guides you through a motivating bike tour.

Let me tell you, Cindy’s class did NOT disappoint! Hands down the best class I’ve ever taken. She’s super motivating and encouraging with awesome high energy (and current) music pumping loud. If any of you in the area ever get a chance to take Cindy’s classes, I highly recommend you do! She teaches spin and a few other classes too.

20120624_082219

On Sunday, we met up with Cindy for a run at Westside. They have a huge indoor track which was great because the weather has been super rainy. The time flew by…wish I could run with these gals all the time!

We also had some family photos taken since we were all together in one spot, which does not happen often.

Click below for the rest of the photos or this post may self destruct in 10 seconds…

20120623_173126 IMG_1429

Eric wasn’t the actual photographer, but he did snap some lovely behind the scenes shots!

IMG_1581

IMG_1496

The boys played Battleship with grandpa in between photos. :)

IMG_1591

After the photos, we headed out for dinner.

20120623_184752

We had a fabulous meal at Madrina’s in Bragg Creek; a quaint town with a population of just 600 people.

madrinas

[source]

We’ve been here a few times now and it’s always excellent. I ended up having a delicious gazpacho, fresh bread with oil and vinegar, and portobello steak with roasted potatoes and veggies. They had no problem adapting their menu to be vegan which was greatly appreciated. It was a lovely & relaxing evening! (My brother-in-law Pete was also there, but took this photo)

IMG_3309

Well, this is one monster of a post so I better end it here before this post explodes. I’m going to try my best to get another post up before we head home. I have a yummy blueberry recipe coming up and a guest post from Eric.

See you soon!

Page 2 of 2«12
Libby July 1, 2012

Do you think you could post a recipe for that quinoa casserole? It’s exactly the kind of dish I’ve been wanting to make!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Hey Libby, its from the 365 quinoa cookbook (adapted to be vegan by leaving out the cheese, chicken, and sour cream)

Megan Haight June 30, 2012

This lake is beautiful! I need to go there!

Tanya @ the sky and back June 29, 2012

So glad to hear your grandpa is doing better! I’ve been thinking about him since you posted about him a few months ago.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

Thanks for keeping him in your thoughts Tanya!

Danielle W June 29, 2012

Looks like a wonderful holiday! I would like to take my husband out there someday – I love Alberta. What a beautiful province!

Kelly J. R. June 27, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Banff/Yoho/Jasper last summer hiking as many trails as we possibly could. We both agree that it’s one of the most scenic areas we’ve ever been to. We didn’t even put a dent in all of the trails available so we can’t wait to go back!

Leanne June 27, 2012

So nice to see you were in Calgary, I was born and raised here and am still living the life here!! Hope you enjoyed all that AB has to offer =)

Lucianna Dykstra June 27, 2012

As a pretty devoted reader from Calgary I can’t say how excited I am that you went to Bragg Creek, Moraine Lake, etc! In the winter you can skate on Lake Louise…amazing scenery when the mountains are even MORE snow-capped!! The air is always so fresh- such a nice break from city life. Lattes from Starbucks are amazing but at the same time it is nice to detach from the urban bustle and enjoy nature. Glad you had a good time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Oh wow I bet skating on that lake is amazing! Would love to do it some day :)

Libby June 27, 2012

Glad you Grandpa is better :) What a beautiful photo of you all at dinner!

Alexis June 27, 2012

Could you please please please have your sister do a guest post on how to get those perfect curls?? I can’t ever get my hair to look like that!

Btw you’re an awesome looking family:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

I love her curls too! If she does them like I do, you wrap the piece of hair around the curling iron instead of clamping it in. Does that make any sense?

Willow June 26, 2012

Wow, what a beautiful location! And it sounds like such a great trip, all together. It’s great that you take so many pictures… I need to get myself a little point-and-shoot so I’m not always lugging my big DSLR around.
Also, it seems like you’re smiling in every single photo I’ve ever seen of you – I find that so inspiring! It makes me happy just looking at you. :)

B @ Crags and Veggies June 26, 2012

Wow Angela, you definitely win the cool aunt award with all the toys you bring! Can you come visit me haha? So glad you are having fun!

Ariel Scheirer June 26, 2012

Beautiful in every way — family, setting, stories. . . so happy for you!

Christine Gillis June 26, 2012

Hi Angela! Your pics are stunning! Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourselves! Can you share your sister’s Mexican Qunioa Casserole? It looks so yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012

Its adapted from the book QUinoa 365 :)

Ivy June 25, 2012

AH! You went to Calgary, that’s so cool! I was born and raised in Calgary and your basically a celebrity to me, so this is cool for me. Glad you made the trek to Lake Louise-very beautiful place. I know that you have already eaten at The Coup restaurant, but if you are looking for another good vegan place, Gratitude in Kensington is a choice. I find it pretty tough to find good vegan places around these parts since the whole “Alberta Beef” thing is so popular but those two are my favorites! I hope you enjoyed your visit! I continue to enjoy your inspiring blog posts- thanks!

Melissa June 25, 2012

Angela,
Thanks so much for the pictures of Lake Louise. My husband and I took a 10 day “Mountains and Vineyards” tour of Alberta and BC in 2010 and your pics brought back so many happy memories. Lake Louise is stunning. If you do return, be sure to hike back to the tea house (there are two but my favourite is the one on the longer trek). The staff stay there for 2 weeks at a time and have to pack in all the supplies. If you are wanting to really disconnect and get off the beaten path, you’d love this little hide away. :)

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings June 25, 2012

I love all the pictures! It looks so beautiful there :) And you looks so gorgeous in your photos, I wish I had your skin, it glows :)

Melanie June 25, 2012

Really enjoyed this post! Makes me long to head to the mountains–it’s been awhile since I was out there.

I have a question re eating vegan. For health reasons, I am thinking of adopting the vegan lifestyle for a while to see if it helps. I also have food intolerances to gluten, dairy, eggs and beans (can only eat them in small quantities otherwise because they are higher on my list). Will it be possible to eat vegan in a healthy way when not eating all these other options as well? Have you written about this at all in the past? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

I love your recipes that I’ve made in the past and am looking forward to the cookbook.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 25, 2012

What a wonderful time with the people you love and holy moley look at those amazing pics!! Too picturesque for words!

Rachel June 25, 2012

Looks like so much fun! And sometimes a break from the computer + internet are just what the doctor ordered! ;)

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen June 25, 2012

Awww, yay! It looks like you had an amazing time!!! Also, your entire family is *GORGEOUS* like seriously…I couldn’t tell which was your grandmother and which was your mom. Crazy!

Kathryn June 25, 2012

Good for you for taking a break! That lake is amazing. I must go there. SOON.

Moni Meals June 25, 2012

We missed you! I’m so happy you got a chance to go away, isn’t getting off-line the best sometimes!!
It looked absolutely stunning where you were, so beautiful.:)

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 25, 2012

Looks like you had a wonderful family vacation! Visiting family is always the best. Looks like you are an amazing aunt, I hope your nephews know how lucky they are.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 25, 2012

Wow, Calgary is beautiful! And the food looks smashing too. is there a recipe for that quinoa casserole?

Alex @ Raw Recovery June 25, 2012

Wow those pictures are stunning. I love that turquoise water with the snow capped mountains behind them. They are breathtaking. Sounds like you are having a great time so I’m happy to hear it! it is definitely nice and needed to take computer breaks. :)

Melissa Caicedo June 25, 2012

OMG Angela, Lake Louise is such a beautiful place….I love mountains and everything that has to do with nature…you are very lucky!! Now I know another site I must visit when I go to Canada.
Question, are those photos taken from the same camera that you use to take pictures of your recipes? What type of camera is it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2012

Thank you! Yes its the same camera/lens (24-70mm 2.8 Canon lens) as on my FAQ page, #10.

Andrea June 25, 2012

It looks like you and Eric have been having such a beautiful time with your family! I love the pictures of the mountains and lake, that water is soo crystal clear! Happy to hear your grandpa is doing better :) Have a great week, Angela!

Robyn June 25, 2012

Great post…love the photos and great scenery,,so beautiful around there(I’m closer to Jasper,AB). Love Bragg Creek too. So nice to spend time with family,,,enjoy<3
And I love, love blueberries,,,waiting patiently<3
Save trip home.

Ruth June 25, 2012

Ah, it is so great to see pictures of one of my favorite places on earth!! It’s awesome to see Lake Louise. Haven’t been able to get out there since 2005… :-(

Natalie Michael June 25, 2012

What a good looking family!!

LizAshlee June 25, 2012

Wow, what an amazing time with your loved ones..sounds perfect!

Janae @ Bring-Joy June 25, 2012

I’m glad you got a chance to disconnect for a few days–I know what you mean. Sometimes you just need a breather away from the computer.

I can’t believe how turquoise those waters are! I’m currently in Washington state, so we’re close enough to Canada to make the trip in a day. Canada (I know it’s a big country!), is on my travel to-do list. The mountains & water are breathtaking.

Your lucky to have such a great family. You’re all so beautiful! I can tell you enjoy being with them & that they love you too. Thanks for sharing.