Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

This is the first time I’ve opened my laptop in almost 4 days now, which feels like f-o-r-e-v-e-r. As much as I miss blogging, it also feels really good to disconnect once and a while! I finally found a spare moment this afternoon to go through some pictures, so here is a recap of what I’ve been up to.

Thursday morning, we were up at the lovely hour of 4am to get to our early morning flight. I think I clocked in at about 3.5 hours sleep. We’re off to a great start!

Also, never underestimate how much room Super Soaker water guns will take up in suitcases…

20120620 172615 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

On the bright side, we arrived in Calgary around 9am with the entire day ahead of us.

Also never underestimate the power of a latte.

20120621 095513 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

I always love traveling east to west; those extra hours are greatly appreciated. My body, however, is still on Toronto time. I’ve been getting up between 5-6am since I arrived despite staying up quite late each night. I’m sure I will crash and burn any day now.

My grandpa and Diane also flew out from Ontario! Grandpa is feeling so well these days and he gained some much needed weight (he said about 35 pounds) since the winter. It’s SO good to see him doing so well despite his Leukemia diagnosis in 2010. He’s such a fighter! My mom is also thrilled as you can imagine. I feel so blessed to be able to spend this time with him.

IMG 1486 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

Shortly after arriving at my mom and John’s, we headed out to get some coffee. My sister and nephews also met up with us and we’ve been attached at the hip ever since. They agreed to let me stuff them in my suitcase on the way back…

20120621 115048 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

Insert soy latte #2.

Anglia? You can call me whatever you want as long as you bring me sleep in a cup.

20120621 115204 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

The boys loved their Super Soakers, Battleship, and Glo bars!! Auntie and Uncle for the win. We had an epic water gun battle for hours on Thursday. I want to be a kid again!

IMG 3289 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

On Friday, we took a road trip to Lake Louise.

IMG 1293 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

From the turquoise water to the snow capped mountains, it took our breath away. What a beautiful place!

IMG 1360 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

IMG 1365 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

A stitched photo courtesy of Eric:

IMG 1324 stitch 2 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

We hiked around the lake for a couple hours before heading in for lunch.

IMG 1390 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta IMG 1369 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, AlbertaIMG 1339 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

We also checked out Moraine Lake on our way out, which was also stunning (below)!  Some of the snow caps were melting and you could see waterfalls trickling down the mountainside. Absolutely beautiful. We’d like to come back here another time and stay for a couple nights so we can do some major hiking. There is never enough time to pack it all in!

IMG 1401 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

On Friday night, Kristi had us over for dinner and a sleep over! Lots of cuddling with my nephews ensued.

She made us the most amazing Mexican quinoa casserole and also my weekend glow kale salad. Awesome meal after a long day in the mountains.

IMG 1419 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

We also treated each other to manis and pedis as late birthday gifts to each other. My feet haven’t had a pedi in over a year…it wasn’t pretty. They are currently soft as a baby’s bottom. :)

20120622 193631 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta 20120622 195539 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

Let’s see what else?

My sis took me to Westside Rec centre for her good friend Cindy’s booty-kicking (ok, total body kicking!) “Urban Strong” weight and cardio class. Think, body pump class, only with intense (intense!) cardio intervals between each set. Westside is rumoured to be one of the best fitness facilities in all of North America. You should see their spin room….it has 50 spin bikes complete with a huge projector screen that guides you through a motivating bike tour.

Let me tell you, Cindy’s class did NOT disappoint! Hands down the best class I’ve ever taken. She’s super motivating and encouraging with awesome high energy (and current) music pumping loud. If any of you in the area ever get a chance to take Cindy’s classes, I highly recommend you do! She teaches spin and a few other classes too.

20120624 082219 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

On Sunday, we met up with Cindy for a run at Westside. They have a huge indoor track which was great because the weather has been super rainy. The time flew by…wish I could run with these gals all the time!

We also had some family photos taken since we were all together in one spot, which does not happen often.

Click below for the rest of the photos or this post may self destruct in 10 seconds…

20120623 173126 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta IMG 1429 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

Eric wasn’t the actual photographer, but he did snap some lovely behind the scenes shots!

IMG 1581 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

IMG 1496 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

The boys played Battleship with grandpa in between photos. :)

IMG 1591 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

After the photos, we headed out for dinner.

20120623 184752 thumb1   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

We had a fabulous meal at Madrina’s in Bragg Creek; a quaint town with a population of just 600 people.

madrinas thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

[source]

We’ve been here a few times now and it’s always excellent. I ended up having a delicious gazpacho, fresh bread with oil and vinegar, and portobello steak with roasted potatoes and veggies. They had no problem adapting their menu to be vegan which was greatly appreciated. It was a lovely & relaxing evening! (My brother-in-law Pete was also there, but took this photo)

IMG 3309 thumb   Family Fun in Calgary, Alberta

Well, this is one monster of a post so I better end it here before this post explodes. I’m going to try my best to get another post up before we head home. I have a yummy blueberry recipe coming up and a guest post from Eric.

See you soon!

Carmi June 24, 2012

The scenery photos are fabulous! (I was born in Banff, but no longer live there) It was so nice to see how much snow cover is still on those beautiful rocks. Thanks for the tip about eating at Madrina’s. Bragg Creek has been an old haunt of mine. You and your family clearly know how to have fun!! You can rest when you get back to TO. Oh, I also spent many years living in south western area. Enjoy pics from there too.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 24, 2012

sounds like a fabulous trip! i’m glad your gpa is doing better:) you all look so gorgeous for your photos! and that scenery is breath taking!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Thanks Caralyn, we are happy too. :)

kaila@ healthy helper blog! June 24, 2012

Those pictures in front of the lake are gorgeous! The area looks so picturesque and beautiful! Like you two are photoshopped in LOL! Thats awesome that you got to spend some good, quality family time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

hah it does look like we were pasted onto the background…I said the same thing!

Lina June 24, 2012

Awww… I can’t wait for Eric’s post!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely June 24, 2012

what fabulous scenery! by the way, your momma is such a pretty lady!

hannah alehandra June 24, 2012

Aw Angela what a lovely post! I really enjoy your posts that are a little more personal, it’s nice to see an insight into your life beyond your kitchen :) and I am so pleased that your Grandad is doing well. He looks very well, indeed. May he continue to have many healthy years.
You look fantastic and happy yourself!
Much love, from your longtime follower in England.
Hannah Alehandra

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Hey Hannah, I’m glad you are enjoying this type of post. They are fun to do once and a while! Thanks for your well wishes for my grandpa, I will pass that along to him. :)

Laura June 24, 2012

Angela,

It was great meeting you yesterday at Westside. It is also great to see that you still are talking to your sister after she took you to Cindy’s class :)

Enjoy the rest of your time in Calgary!

Laura

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Hey Laura, It was so nice meeting you too! Hopefully we’ll get to do another class together next time we’re down. I should be recovered by then…hah ;)

Pam June 24, 2012

So fun! I love Lake Louise area (I currently live in St Albert, but also lived in Calgary for a few years). I love the pics of you and your family – your mom looks like she could be a sister – so gorgeous!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity June 24, 2012

I loved reading about your travels! Those photos are breath taking!
I would love to go to that fitness center, that sounds amazing and so motivating.
I’m glad you had a great time xx

susan June 24, 2012

A first-time post for me, but an avid reader and recipe taster for over a year! I love your recipes. As someone who is working at becoming healthy, thank you for your blog. I just had to drop you a note to tell you how beautiful your family is, and how stunning Calgary is.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Hey Susan, Thank you for your comment! I’m so honoured that you enjoy the blog & recipes. I appreciate your feedback so much.

Audrey June 24, 2012

Great photos!!! is there a recipe for the Mexican quinoa casserole ?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Hey Audrey, My sis adapted the quinoa casserole from the Quinoa 365 cookbook. Have you seen it before? She loves it. She just left out the chicken and had cheese/sour cream on the side. Easily made vegan.

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde June 24, 2012

Looks like a wonderful trip so far! The scenic photos are breathtaking – that was nice of Eric to share the stitched photo. The water, mountains, and blue sky all look incredible. You have a beautiful family! Enjoy the rest of your time there :)

melissa (fitnessnyc) June 24, 2012

It looks beautiful there! You find the best hiking places!

Michelle June 24, 2012

Hi Angela,

I am currently living in Edmonton (just moved here from Toronto) and am spending Canada-Day weekend in Calgary. I was wondering if you had a chance to get to any Vegan-friendly restaurants while you were there and if you had any suggestions! (If you ever come to Edmonton and i’ll point you in the direction of some AMAZING vegan treats! haha)

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Hey Michelle, I suggest The Coup in Calgary….I love the food there!

Carly June 24, 2012

AMAZING photos! If I may ask, where is the red/blue striped sweater from? Super cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Thank you Carly, it’s from Old Navy. I have it in green and blue too…lol. They have all kinds of colours and patterns!

Christa @ Edible Balance June 24, 2012

Thank you so much for capturing the beauty of my home! It’s amazing to see it through someone else’s eyes… I try to get out to the mountains as much as I can but it’s all too easy to get wrapped up in city life.

Also, thanks for the vegan heads up on Madrina’s! My sister in law lives in Redwood Meadows close to Bragg Creek and lives that restaurant. Can’t wait to check it out!

Christa @ Edible Balance June 24, 2012

and by lives I mean loves ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

They were realy easy going about the whole vegan thing. I love that. I’m pretty sure they would have made anything my little heart desired. :)

Cait's Plate June 24, 2012

It’s so beautiful there! And looks like so much fun!

Samantha June 24, 2012

I hope you stopped at the bakery in lake louise!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

unfortunately not! We were really tight on time, but next time for sure :)

kyla June 24, 2012

Your family is gorgeous!! I hope I can look as good as OSGMom someday!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 24, 2012

Oooh wow Ange, everything looks amazing! Your grandpa is looking so great, and you and Eric have definitely been soaking up the sights! I love the turquoise water at Lake Louise. (Not that I’d want to swim in it, I mean just to look at!!) So glad you’ve finally had a chance to unplug for a few days and chill out. Hopefully your body adjusts to Alberta time soon so you feel fully rested by the time you get back here!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 24, 2012

You could totally swim in it, Ange! I’ve done it! So darn cold but incredibly worth it. They used to have relay races (for fun) many years ago. Oh the crazy things teenagers do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

Thanks Ange…I’m so happy to see him well too.
I wanted to drink the water ;) It looked so fresh…

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 24, 2012

Ah! So much awesomesness going on here! Lake Louise sure is beautiful, isn’t it? I think I’ve been at least two dozen times and it still takes my breath away! I sure would miss the mountains if we moved away from this place. Glad you and your family have had a great time, great idea to have your photos taken. We were going to do the same thing today at Fish Creek Park but the rain was just too heavy to attempt it today.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 24, 2012

I know, hasn’t the rain been crazy? I’m sure it will get nice just as we take off for Ontario. hah

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 25, 2012

That’s usually the way of it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 24, 2012

you all look gorgeous! And that turquoise water would have taken my breath away…wow, stunning!

Happy that you had this time away with your fam, beautiful surroundings, the whole post = warm fuzzies :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 24, 2012

Hey if you are still in Calgary – you should head to Sultana’s Tent in Kennsigton! I’m sure they would adapt for you and the food is INCREDIBLE! Plus it’s an experience you won’t soon forget! Moroccan Food is awesome! I found it just as I was leaving Calgary – it is incredible. I go every time I go back for a visit!!

You and your family are so beautiful!! Glad you are enjoying your trip!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 24, 2012

Looks like a wonderful time spent with the family! You and your sister are just beautiful ladies, and I am glad that your grandfather is doing better. :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 24, 2012

These are such beautiful pictures! I have always wanted to visit Canada and this just reinforces it! I’ve especially wanted to visit Banff.

Beks June 24, 2012

Oh, my gosh! Those mountains are beautiful! It looks like you’re having an awesome and relaxing time. Can’t wait for the new recipe! Safe travels home!

Brittany June 24, 2012

Wow! Those mountain shots look breathtaking!

Barb June 24, 2012

My daughter introduced me to your website and I love it! you are sensible and balanced which is hard to find these days! you have inspired me even at the age of 50 to eat better exercise and be good to my body. I just ran my first half marathon yesterday which was an inspiration from my daughter and from your blog! Anyway…I am wondering if you have the recipe for the Mexican Quinoa casserole you just had on your vacation? looks yummy. Thanks again for sharing your life and inspiring others!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2012

Congrats on your half marathon Barb!! How are you feeling today?
The recipe was adapted from the Quinoa 365 cookbook. She just omitted the chicken and served the cheese on the side.

Nadia June 24, 2012

Nice pics! I am headed out west on a roadtrip in a couple weeks. Love the cute ruffle top you’re wearing in the first pic of you- where is it from?

Andrea G June 24, 2012

My sis lives in Alberta…I cannot wait to go. As a Canadian, I am embarassed to admit that I have never been past the borders of BC!

I would love, love, LOVE to know the recipe for the quinoa mexican casserole. It looks absolutely delicious and it is right up our alley!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 24, 2012

Oh my, I don’t often comment but that picture with Eric (I think) standing in front of the lake is absolutely breathtaking. The water looks unreal!

Emily June 24, 2012

Welcome to Alberta! I am a huge fan of your blog and its so great to see familiar pictures on this post (I am a Calgarian and live very close to Westside Rec.- Cindy does kick some serious butt!). Be sure to checkout The Coup on 17th Ave if you haven’t already. Amazing food. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey June 24, 2012

Calgary looks amazing. I’ve only been there for 2 days for a competition but didn’t get to go to the mountains :( Will need to come back there one day ^^ Glad you enjoyed the time with your family.

val June 24, 2012

Hi Angela
Just love seeing your pics, like some of the others I also grew up till the age of 12 around Banff and Lake Louise just this side of the B.C. /Alberta border and your pictures are so great to see, I have been following your page on FB and your Blog for the past several months, and just in the last couple weeks have been doing Kris Carr’s CSD and thank’s to you and your amazing recipes it has been a breeze so far, My daughter follows you as well and her and her husband live in Calgary so we enjoy your reviews(especially of the Coup) , Thank’s so much for enriching our lives one recipe and Blog at a time, Val

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 25, 2012

Hey Val, Thank you, I’m so glad to hear that! You live in a great city & area. I just love visiting here.
I bet you have fond memories of Banff area. It’s soooo breathtaking. We want to come back and stay up there for a few nights sometime. The trails are calling our name! Thanks for reading, Angela

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 25, 2012

Looks like you’re having a wonderful time! My (pregnant) sister and husband live in Calgary too so I’ve booked 10 days at the end of July to (hopefully!) be there for the birth of her baby. We live in Vancouver so I’ve been to see them in Calgary dozens of times and spent one Christmas with them in Banff but we tend to do weekends or long weekends only, so this will be the first time we are there for an extended trip. If the baby doesn’t come right away I really wanted to get out and do more stuff – they lived in downtown before and now in Kensington so I really stuck to that area only. Thanks for the ideas – I don’t know if Bragg’s Creek is close to downtown but I want to check out that restaurant, as Calgary is exceedingly difficult to find non-meat dishes in! If you have any other restaurant recommendations where I can find veggie fare, please do share!

Amy June 25, 2012

First of all, you have an absolutely beautiful family! Each and every member is gorgeous! That lake is absolutely stunning as well! I can’t help but think about the Group of Seven and their work from this area! Are you familiar with them? If not, check them out and you’ll know what I mean :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 25, 2012

Your grandfather looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the blueberry recipe you have for us!

Lea June 25, 2012

That lake is absolutely beautiful! I didn’t know it was possible for water to be that blue!

Gillian June 25, 2012

You have such a beautiful family! Can you please tell your mom that in that first photo of her I thought it was some movie star at first? Honestly – she should know :)

Ashley @ Eat, Sleep, and Breathe It June 25, 2012

Wow, that place is beautiful! I love mountains.

Page 1 of 212»