Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4-ingredients!

IMG 0494   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

Eric thinks I’m getting senile.

I would have to agree…when it comes to certain things. Like limes.

IMG 0468 2   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

We were unloading groceries the other day when he came across a huge stash of limes buried deep in the crisper.

"Why on earth are you hoarding limes?"  he asked holding up this huge bag of limes as evidence.

IMG 0458   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

I looked over, puzzled yet guilty at the same time, watching as he tried to insert new produce into the crisper like a Tetris game. There was no way he was going to win this round.

"No wonder why I can’t fit any produce in here…”  the bag of limes dropped on the counter with a thud.

IMG 0460   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients! IMG 0463   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

It was rather amusing.

Do you think I could remember why I thought it was a good idea to buy a mammoth bag of limes? Of course not. Who buys 15 limes and forgets about them for weeks? I’m guessing it was for a planned recipe, but what that recipe was I just don’t know. I may never know. Recipe ideas turn over at a rapid pace in this kitchen. Since January, I’ve filled a 200 page notebook – front and back – full of recipe trials. Scary. I guess it’s only natural that some ideas never make it to the notebook…or in long-term memory. :)

So now I have some limes on my hands, it seems. If worst comes to worst I will juice the remaining limes and freeze it into ice cube trays so I can forget about them for months, until they get so much freezer burn Eric gets annoyed all over again.

Strawberry lime granita sounds like even more fun than annoying Eric, mind you, but as it turns out I can do both at the same time. More on that below…

IMG 0491   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

If you’ve ever been afraid of making granita, fear not. It’s incredibly easy and the outcome is surprisingly gourmet. It’s also the perfect solution for summer fruit on its last legs. Strawberries, raspberries, peaches, apricots, cherries, etc should all work well. I fell in love with this strawberry lime flavour and I encourage you to try this out too. I used agave nectar in an effort to forgo sugar and I was really pleased with the outcome.

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 pound/450 grams fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 5-6 tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
  • 1/3 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup water

1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth. Adjust agave or lime juice to taste.

2. Pour mixture into a 9-inch square pan (or equivalent non-stick pan) and place into freezer for a couple hours, uncovered is fine. After a couple hours, scrape the mixture with a spoon or fork to break it up a little. You can repeat this process in another hour. It should be ready after 4-5 hours of freezing, but this may vary based on your freezer.

3. When it’s firm enough, scrape/shave it with a fork or spoon and serve it all fancy in a parfait glass – or my favourite way – straight from the pan! It’s the best when it gets a bit melty and gooey. Oh man…watch out! Cover and freeze leftovers in the freezer until ready to enjoy. I didn’t bother covering it because I don’t plan on it lasting long.

Nutritional info: (per serving, serves 6): 86 cals, 0 grams fat, 1 gram sodium, 22 grams carbs, 19 grams sugar, 1 gram protein.

IMG 0495   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

I have now found a way to do three things:

1) save money on gelato trips by making granita

2) Repurpose the bowls and spoons I’ve been hoarding from the gelato place…

IMG 0503   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

3) Drive Eric crazy with the sound of scraping granita.

I learned last night that he cannot STAND the sound of the fork scraping the ice. This is clearly payback for all the times he sharpens knives within a 500 foot radius of me (shudder…) The sound a knife being sharpened is my ultimate cringe factor. I just about shrivel up and die.

IMG 0489   Summer Fever Strawberry Lime Granita…just 4 ingredients!

Despite the fact that a few of you on Instagram think this picture looks like ground beef (I would have to agree!) I hope you do try out this recipe. I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to make and how little it tastes like ground beef.

PS- The header is now CLICKABLE at long last!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 6, 2012

Hahah I didn’t even realize it looks like ground beef, but you’re right! Oh well, I’m sure it tastes fantastic…Maybe even better than gelato? ;)

Jill June 6, 2012

Lovin’ this! Perfect for summer. Can’t wait to try it!

Erin Motz June 6, 2012

Lime = summer! And I hear you with the knife sharpener – ugh! Makes me want to just crawl out of my skin!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2012

Glad I’m not the only one!

I also don’t do well watching movies with lots of sword fighting. hah

Amanda June 6, 2012

It’s so funny that you mention the ground beef comparison, because I made something similar using beet juice a couple of months ago. I carefully plated it, took the photos, and as I was editing them, my husband walked by and commented “that looks like hamburger meat!”. All I could see was hamburger meat from that point forward and that recipe never saw the light of day. haha

I love the strawberry/lime combo and will definitely be giving your version a try. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2012

Don’t you hate when you spend time photographing something and it doesn’t turn out? Usually by the time I discover that, I’ve already inhaled it. :)

Amanda June 6, 2012

YES!!! That’s the worst!

Danielle June 6, 2012

I actually thought it was lots of shredded beets! Haha. Sounds good though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2012

yea I could see that too!

Katie @ Creature of Habit June 6, 2012

Oh the scraping ice sound – I absolutely get where Eric is coming from on this one.

MissMaddyG June 6, 2012

How marvelous! I might try this using a combo of Lakanto and good liquid stevia, see how it comes out sans any sugar. I’ve used those in strawberry lime frozen lemonade type drinks, my faux margarita, and it worked really well. Have to see if it translates with something completely frozen too. Summertime treats are the best!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 6, 2012

YAAAAY I was right about the photo – it WAS granita!!! :) This is one of my favourite things to have in the summer, especially on a hot day.

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 6, 2012

YUM! I was JUST looking at this Chocolate Granita http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/double-dark-chocolate-granita-recipe.html Yours looks SUPER fab and in season. You should veganize this chocolate one seeing I know you like chocolate. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2012

that looks amazing!

Eileen June 6, 2012

What a beautiful color! I love the citrus and berry combination too. :)

Tracy June 6, 2012

I am a fruit/veggie hoarder too….. It doesn’t help that my fiance roots through the fridge, movings things around and loosing them for me, lol. Then he asks me if I even know what I have in there- well, nooooo…….. I like that you used agave in the recipe, I will have to try it! The last time I made granita it was before my health conscious time and used lots of white sugar (no more white sugar!) and coffee.

Steph June 6, 2012

Adding this to my growing “to make” list. Good excuse to grab a bunch of fresh berries from the farmer’s market this weekend! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 6, 2012

I bet that was delicious! I love limes.

And I totally feel like I’m playing refrigerator Tetris everytime I return from the farmer’s market. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 6, 2012

Now THIS is a vibrant drink! Love it! Perfect for summer and love the short ‘n sweet ingredients list :)

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli June 6, 2012

4 ingredients and it DOESN’T taste like ground beef?? PERFECT:) that photo was priceless though ;) it’s funny how people interpret things or get stuck on one image in their mind lol

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 6, 2012

4 ingredients? sold! i’m all for the fewer ingredients the better :)

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 6, 2012

These look so refreshing! I love the repurposed gelato cups and spoons.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 6, 2012

Yum! I’ve actually NEVER made granitas before (and don’t know why!!).
I hate the sounds of knives sharpening too- totally gives me goosebumps! Ew!

Mary June 6, 2012

Perfect recipe for the weekend, thanks Angela! I think I’m going to sneak another ingredient onto that list though…tequila!

Grace @ Grace Dishes June 6, 2012

My boyfriend think I’m getting senile too because I forget my train of thought sometimes lol! I actually made something similar for Cinco de Mayo because we had a lot of Florida Strawberries on hand. My brother simply adored it!

Yours looks so pretty and vibrant! I love the individual dishes you chose to serve them in. Adorable!

Sophia June 6, 2012

Oh this is dreamy and I shall be adding it to my favourites. Lime and strawberry – can’t go wrong.

Sonya June 6, 2012

Yum, can’t wait to try this!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 6, 2012

yum!! this looks so delicious and refreshing! prefect for summer! and that color — simply gorgeous! thanks for sharing!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 6, 2012

HA! It DOES look like ground beef!

Ileana June 6, 2012

Those bowls are adorable. And I also freak out somewhat when my guy sharpens the knives near me!

Bridget B. June 6, 2012

This looks absolutely outstanding! So jealous you have already made it. I will have to just ignore the intolerable noise. Haha.

Lia June 6, 2012

That looks like a great summer plan! And it seems really easy. The hardest part for me would be remembering to scrape before it freezes too hard.

Cara June 6, 2012

OK, I’m imagining scraping the granita, and while I’m not shuddering at the sound, I’m feeling lazy and bored just at the imagining stage. Do you think you could line your freezer dish with parchment paper, pop the whole square of frozen deliciousness on a cutting board, and use a potato masher or just chop it up with a sharp knife??

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama June 6, 2012

Oh yum! This looks incredible. I love fruit+lime!

Katie June 6, 2012

Looks delectable!

Alexandra June 6, 2012

Loved the wittiness of this post! The granita looks great- I saw a recipe for this on TV yesterday, but your looks much better with the lime.

Erin June 6, 2012

“Who buys 15 limes and forgets about them for weeks? I’m guessing it was for a planned recipe, but what that recipe was I just don’t know. I may never know.”

It’s stuff like this that makes me adore this blog… not only are your recipes clever and original, and damned tasty, you totally crack me up. Your posts brighten my day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2012

Hey Erin, you brighten MY day…thank you for the smile! I’m usually the only one laughing at my jokes around here. ;)

Jolene (Homespun Heritage) June 6, 2012

I did that with avocados the other week! Completely forgot about them until I unearthed them and was able to scrape together enough good green flesh for some guaca-hummus!

Zestful Lou June 6, 2012

I don’t think I would care for granitas. I’ve never been an icy dessert kind of person. Slushies at 7-11 were never my thing.

But I KEEP BUYING LIMES at the store, forgetting that I already have DOZENS of limes in the crisper drawer. So now I am in a strikingly similar situation as you. What to do with all these limes….

Maybe this recipe will change my mind. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2012

To be honest, I didn’t think I would *love* granita either, but it really surprised me. It’s not as icy as Italian Ice, but really thick and flavourful.

Alex @ Raw Recovery June 6, 2012

This looks yummy! My parents are big into gelato and although they have been to Italy, my Dad still says the best gelato he’s ever had is a peanut butter gelato in…Hong Kong of all places. Granita sounds really refreshing though! I used to have it all the time during the summer I lived in the south of France. By the way, I think you once posted a picture of a little candy shop, and I could swear it’s the one in Avignon (I think you said it was Marsailles, there could be two I don’t know) that I used to pass every day on my way to school, and ended up accidentally buying $100 worth of fudge from there because I misunderstood the pricing…a mathematical error and not a linguistic one I might add! That’s what’s the most embarrassing :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2012

PB Gelato would be amazing I’m sure. The place in Oakville has a toasted marshmallow flavour. Too bad it’s not dairy-free because I would be all over that with some chocolate syrup and crushed grahams. Might have to make my own some day…
That’s funny about the candy shop! I think I know the exact pic you are referring to and yes I think it was in Marseilles. Makes me want to look through the photos right now and dream. :)

Jessica @ Garden Gastronomy June 6, 2012

This looks so summery and delicious! I just happened to buy some strawberries and limes, so bring it on! S

Sometimes I find random vegetables and fruits I have been hoarding too :) Glad it turned into something yummy!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt June 6, 2012

I absolutely cannot wait to make this! You can’t beat just 4 ingredients. :)

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 6, 2012

What a perfect summer recipe!! I love that it’s so simple and fresh :)

B @ Crags and Veggies June 7, 2012

Yummy, can’t wait to try this great summer treat! Beautiful natural color too!

Katie June 7, 2012

Mmmmm, this granita looks so good! I annoy my husband by going bonkers hoarding autumn fruit, like apples and pumpkins, which I roast, puree, and freeze in 1 cup portions until there is no room left in the freezer. My husband annoys me by using my baggies of frozen fruit puree as ice packs to ice his legs after he goes running. The nerve!

Page 1 of 212»