The June Salad-A-Day Challenge Kick-Off! Plus, 5 More Reader Favourite Salad Recipes

IMG_3219

[Beet, Apple, and Orange Salad in a Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette]

Despite the torrential downpour we are getting this morning, fun things are going down…

It’s June 1st.

Friday.

And it’s also the kick-off of the June Salad-A-Day Challenge, also know as the month that many of us will amp up our veggie intake, crank out some amazing salads, and renew our energy during the last month of spring. I’m absolutely thrilled by your response to this challenge. I’m not sure if I would be successful doing this challenge on my own, but I know with your enthusiasm it shouldn’t be very hard.

In spirit of kicking things off, here are another 5 favourite salad recipes. The beauty of many of these recipes is that one recipe makes a few servings so you can enjoy them for a few days and save on prep time as well. Or share with your family members! Don’t feel like your salad has to be completely different and extravagant everyday, but if you want to do that you can too. How the challenge works is completely up to YOU. Most of all, have fun with it.

Don’t forget to check out 6 more salad recipes in Monday’s post. Keep your eyes peeled next week for a new salad recipe inspired by one of my favourite vegan restaurants.

1) Citrus Beet Salad with Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing (plus a trick for roasting beets)

IMG_7967

Beets are anti-inflammatory, rich in antioxidants, support detoxification, and are high in folate, manganese, fibre, potassium, vitamin C, iron, and more. [source] A handful of reasons to dig in! Feel free to add nuts, seeds, and grains if you want to give this salad a boost.

IMG_7953

2) Over the Rainbow Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing (plus an easy trick for preparing cabbage)

IMG_5549

This salad made me feel so good…I was doing a happy dance in the kitchen. It was just the right mix of veggies, healthy fats, protein, and carbs to keep my energy buzzing along. As a former cabbage hater, this salad completely surprised me! I hope it surprises you too.

3) Back on Track Wheat berry and Bean Salad

IMG_7694_thumb

This is my go-to healthy salad “secret weapon” that I make whenever I need a nutritional boost. Not only is
it one of the most popular salad recipes on the blog, but it’s a personal favourite as well. You can have fun changing it up too. See this version for a fun twist.

4) Avocado-Lime Black Bean Salad

IMG_9396

I fell in love with this quick and easy black bean salad as soon as I tasted it. The hint of lime and spicy kick from the cumin makes for a delicious and healthy salad full of protein, healthy fats, and flavour. It’s great mashed up a little and thrown into a wrap too.

5) Asparagus and Potato Salad

IMG_6191

This is not your average potato salad drenched in mayonnaise and served cold. Instead, it’s served warm and lightly coated with an irresistible chive, dill, and green onion dressing.

It is nice alongside Our Perfect Veggie Burgers too.

IMG_6224

How you can join in:

– Blog about the challenge and post pics & recipes of your salads throughout the month of June.

– Tweet, Pin, Facebook, and/or Instagram your salad creations using the hashtag: #saladaday

– leave me a comment and let me know how you are doing!

– encourage your friends, coworkers, and family members to take part too.

1 Willow June 1, 2012

Starting the challenge! Just published my first post. Thanks for kicking it off! :D

2 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) June 1, 2012

Love this challenge! Even before you posted this we have been eating salads every day! I bought some fresh romaine from a local garden for a salad for lunch. I believe I will do pears, walnuts and something else…hmm, Must think!

3 Angela June 1, 2012

That sounds like a great combo…glad you are enjoying it so far!

4 Teresa June 1, 2012

I am kicking off the challenge with the detox salad. It is so good!

5 Angela June 1, 2012

I made a batch this week too. I always enjoy it more than I think I will…heh.

6 Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania June 1, 2012

Loving this! I could never get bored with salads now!

7 Madison @ PIlates Makes You Happy June 1, 2012

Yay for Salad a Day!

8 Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash June 1, 2012

I eat a salad nearly everyday for lunch at work, to the point where a colleague told me she imagines that I eat salad at lunch and then gorge myself on brownies at dinner! If only I could do that….

9 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 1, 2012

That first salad is basically what was in my smoothie this morning. Liquid salads count, right? :)

10 Angela June 1, 2012

Of course :) I think I need to add beets to my smoothies! I had a killer beet-based juice yesterday and it was this gorgeous bright pink colour. Im sure the Vita could handle a beet. Did you cook yours first?

11 Bri June 6, 2012

I fire beets in my smoothies all the time raw, and the vitamix handles them beautifully! My fav is raspberry, beet, orange, ginger, apple and a squeeze of lemon. I always put a tablespoon of flaxseeds in my smoothies too, but that’s just personal preference.

12 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 1, 2012

Ahhh…I don’t know which to try first!! :-)

13 Jenn June 1, 2012

I’m so excited about this challenge. I’ve been reading your blog and making your recipes for a year now (all of them delicious by the way!). I was just about to go to the pancake food truck outside my office for lunch when I remembered the salad challenge. Here’s to kicking off summer the healthy way!

14 Cait's Plate June 1, 2012

Love it! I had my salad today!

15 Amateur Mommy June 1, 2012

The back on track wheat berry salad is a repeat lunch in our house! I love it. We may have to try the beet salads, I don’t really care for them but we are supposed to have beets in our CSA veggie bag next week and there is no way I’m going to waste them!

16 Angela June 1, 2012

Glad you are enjoying the Back on Track salad! Hope the beets treat you well…I love them roasted with a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt. mmm

17 Earthy Nicole June 1, 2012

My salad might be a little boring today because I’m in need of a grocery trip. However, I’m looking forward to the challenge and especially that Avocado Lime salad and Over the Rainbow salad. It’s just about lunch time so I’m really hungry from seeing all these beautiful photos!
xx

18 Meredith June 1, 2012

Just made my healthy eating meal plan for June – I’ve been eating far too veggies this past month or so, time to get back on track!

19 Vicki June 1, 2012

The asparagus & potato salad is SO GOOD! I’ve made it a few times since you first posted it on the blog and just LOVE IT!
I also made your black bean and quinoa salad – yummmm, delicious. For non vegan people I suggest adding feta cheese!

Looking forward to see your other salad recipes!

20 Andrea June 1, 2012

I gotta try that black bean, lime, & avocado salad! SOON!

21 gia June 1, 2012

I had a non vegan salad last night and kept going back for more! Thought of you… It was just shredded cabbage/carrots mixture (you buy at the store) and a lowfat blue cheese and lowfat blue cheese dressing… I also added some currants. It is one of my favorites! The cabbage is more dense which is really imporant, and I like the sweet and salty of the currants and blue cheese. I’m sure you could do something similar with salted peanuts and raisins… I also love a canola oil dressing, mixed with a little sugar and white wine vinegar.

22 Bre June 1, 2012

Mmm, I’m so excited for Salad a Day! I love the Detox salad, but I think I’ll do the Over the Rainbow Cabbage Salad first. What brand of tahini do you use? The brand I tried last time was really bitter tasting. Thanks!

23 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 1, 2012

I’d love to try your citrus beet and asparagus salad! Both have some of my fave veggies….yummy! Seeing this makes me feel like I need to cleanse my innards, lol!

24 VeggieGirl June 1, 2012

I had a big sald for dinner last night inspired by your post, despite it being wet and rainy and more like soup/pasta weather!! I’m going to have another one tonight, it feels great eating so healthy ;)

25 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde June 1, 2012

I was eating my salad for today while reading this post :) I had spinach, grape tomatoes, carrots, sugar snap peas, lentils, leftover cooked asparagus, chopped walnuts, white bean and basil hummus – tweeted you about this :) and balsamic vinegar. Delicious! Looking forward to many more salads this month!

26 Catalina @ Cake with Love June 1, 2012

I am in, and right now I am eating my kale salad for lunch, I will blog latter about it!! :)

27 Andrea @ Vegvacious June 1, 2012

I am already so in love with this challenge. I do pretty well during the week, but it’s the weekend where I usually fail…in an epic way :-D I’m really looking forward to trying out some new recipes and getting my hands on some local produce….let the challenge begin!!

28 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 1, 2012

My favorite ingredients in salads are beets and avocados! They taste delicious and also look pretty : )

29 Alex @ Raw Recovery June 1, 2012

This is getting me excited about salads again. I really didn’t like eating salads this winter so I just stuck with steamed veggies but on a hot summer’s day, nothing is better…along with a cold hard beverage :)

30 Cady June 1, 2012

I started the challenge today with a simple kale salad. Tomorrow at the
farmer’s market I’ll look for potential salad ingredients, including beets –
I’m usually not a fan but your salad looks so pretty I’ll give it a try.

31 Robyn June 1, 2012

Started yesterday with your great detox salad….changed up as I didn’t have cauliflower so I added kale(??) and topped it with lentil trail mix…today I will add purple cabbage :) The aspargus/potato looks really good too….so many choices!

32 Becky June 1, 2012

My salad for lunch today was leftovers – red quinoa cooked in carrot juice and ginger, then tossed with frozen peas, almonds and apple. I tore the recipe out of an old issue of Vegetarian Times – and it is delicious! Not too high on the veggie scale – just peas – but I figure cooking the quinoa in carrot juice adds a hash mark in the veg column.

For supper – romaine lettuce with cucumber, baked tofu, and homemade carrot juice vinaigrette!

33 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 1, 2012

wow, what gorgeous salads! that beet apple and orange salad looks especially delicious! the colors!! thanks for sharing!

34 Monika D June 1, 2012

So I haven’t made an official commitment to the challenge, because that – for me – is almost a sure sign that I’ll fall off the bandwagon soon. Instead, I’m just going to do my best to have a salad every day for lunch (ongoing, not just for June). If I doesn’t happen every day, there’s no pressure…I’ll just pick up again as soon as I can.

I made your detox salad today. It’s good and it FEELS good to eat a big bowl of something so healthy. Prepping the veggies took forever because I only have a mini food processor. Not to mention the stress and interrupions of 5 kids and babies around me telling me how hungry they were and/or crying. Well, one of them was helping me in the kitchen, happily turning the food processor on and off as needed. The salad didn’t stick with me for long…I’m gobbling down raw almonds as I type. :)

Anyway, I’m excited about this challenge-that-is-not-a-challenge and am glad I have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next couple of days!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2012

Glad you are finding a way to make it work for YOU! That’s all that matters. And yes, I find the Detox works best as a side…for me it doesn’t have enough staying power on its own.

36 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 1, 2012

I had my salad today! Just a simple arugula, grape tomatoe, and goat cheese salad. Your beet salad is on the menu for tomorrow!

37 Meredith June 1, 2012

I ate two salads for lunch today! Butternut squash and kale quinoa salad AND Balsamic Tahini Millet salad! So filling and healthy – makes me feel good!

38 lynda hiltz June 1, 2012

i absolutely LOVE your site – your recipes, photos and comments are fantastic!!! it has been a pleasure to discover a blog i enjoy so much. i have made many of your recipes and they are delicious – some of us down south don’t embrace the way they eat here!!!! thank you! lynda

39 Sonia the Mexigarian June 1, 2012

I’m going to quickly have to buy a premade salad from the store today. Completely forgot and have no salad material at home :\ Grocery shopping will happen sometime.

I really want to try that Over the Rainbow Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing because I actually do have red cabbage sitting in the fridge, waiting to be used!

40 Gena June 1, 2012

Now this is my kind of challenge! And oh my, does that asparagus salad look good (I have asparagus on the brain lately, as there’s a fresh bunch in my kitchen as we speak). Way to motivate, Ange! xo

41 Naomi June 1, 2012

I didn’t take a picture! Got too hungry ;) ..But just enjoyed my first June salad! Bok Choy, Beets, & Chives all chopped up.. I added some hemp seeds… then just threw together a dressing of lemon, (very little) olive oil, agave, curry powder (random.. but gave it an awesome kick!), & pink salt with the tiniest bit of black pepper & dried parsley.. sounds weird but came out so good! I’m currently nom-nom-ing the salad-y goodness as we speak.. err.. type :) Fun to just see what you have in your fridge sometimes and go from there.. oh! mine was all organic as well.. & PS: DEFINITELY had an avocado beforehand as a salad “appetizer”…probably would’ve been better IN the salad! :o …oh well! Thank you for your inspiration, Angela! You’re amazing!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

That sounds delicious! I love the idea of using curry powder…that would be right up my alley.

43 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures June 1, 2012

I just ate my huge daily salad for lunch. It was a rainbow of colors, my favorite. Mixed greens, purple cabbage shreds, diced orange and red bell peppers, red onion, cucumber, tomato, and a raspberry merlot dressing. After seeing your post I wish that I had put some beets in it too. You can never have too many veggies in your salad!

44 april June 1, 2012

what a great idea!!! I am enjoy a KRUSH salad for lunch today” roasted beats, sweet potatoe, chickpeas, lettuce, grated carrots, walnuts, craisons and tahini dressing

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

that sounds SO good

46 Candice June 1, 2012

Thanks for the salad ideas. I’m normally not a salad girl, but trying to lose weight and these just sound delish.

47 Carol June 1, 2012

Organic greens, tuna, and snap peas for lunch today.

I am planning to make your detox salad, and 2 quinoa salads. I have had very bad luck cooking quinoa…just did not like the flavor. I think your recipes are worth giving it a second chance.

Both the beet salads look very yummy. Will have to try those recipes with all the beets we will get from the CSA this summer.

48 Averie @ Averie Cooks June 1, 2012

How did I forget about some of these…wow. Thanks for the reminders. The asparagus & potato salad, well all of them, really…sound PERFECT. I need to make one of these this weekend!

49 Ashley @ Simple Craves & Olive Oil June 1, 2012

I am in love with this idea!! I made My Perfect Summer Salad to kick it off :) It’s a raspberry mango salad with a lemon olive oil & chia seed dressing. Sooo yummy and healthy! I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

50 Natalie June 1, 2012

That creamy avocado lime dressing looks to die for! I need new dressing recipe ideas for this salad challenge, I started early and am already bored with my ideas :) Definitely going to try yours!

51 Lia June 1, 2012

You know, sometimes I forget that salads can be things like the black bean and avocado one you’ve got going on. I like your variety and the denseness of some of these. I’m excited!

52 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 1, 2012

Ooh I really want to try that Citrus Beet Salad. I LOVE beets in salads – I don’t know why I’m okay with them in salads but not really anywhere else but it’s true. I stay away from them most of the time, then I see them in a salad and I’m all over ’em. Go figure!

53 Jess June 1, 2012

I just made the asparagus and potato salad and it is AMAZING. In fact, the best potato salad I’ve ever eaten in my life, hands down.
Between your recipes, and Kathy Freston’s book “Veganist”, I don’t have ONE single reason to not be vegan, so as of today I’m going all the way. Thank you for your incredible recipes. You have really made me feel like I can do this and not only will I not miss a thing, but my food world will open up in wondrous ways. I am so excited!

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Hey Jess, congrats on your decision! I hope you continue to enjoy the recipes :)

55 jude June 1, 2012

Posting photos of my actual salads each day: http://pinterest.com/pin/172896073165007187/

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

great idea :)

57 Stacy June 1, 2012

Kicked it off with the Detox Salad recipe. Wow!! I can never eat raw broccoli or cauliflower because of the texture but pulsing it in the food processor is pure genius! This may be my new potluck salad (a whole lot of cub scouts and their parents are about to be subject to it tomorrow!).

58 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 1, 2012

Oh my thank you so much for posting these salads! I’d forgotten about your outstanding Asparagus and Potato salad! I made it twice last year for picnics and couldn’t get over how amazing it was! Definitely adding it to my list of recipes to make this month.

59 Kathleen June 1, 2012

I’m in! Had a salad for lunch and my 16 yo had one for dinner today. Will get my 17 & 19 yos on board tomorrow! Fun challenge!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

awesome to hear!

61 Somer June 2, 2012

I just kicked off the challenge by making a new dressing, Miso Cashew Ranch! It’s at the end of this post http://goodcleanfood.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/thin-crust-sriracha-bbq-tofu-and-moxerella-pizza/ Yeah for salads!

62 K June 2, 2012

I actually started a salad-a-day challenge myself about a month ago! (Around the same time I was introduced to your website) As an active bulimic I have found that it has helped me stop the daily binge/purge cycles almost completely. I’m not in a place where I can cook for myself or keep food in the house but the salad-a-day routine is a simple and effective way for me to commit daily to a healthy endeavour that involves food. I love your work. Thank you for sharing!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

Im glad to hear salads have helped you stay positive and feel good. goodluck with your recovery!

64 Jasper {crunchylittlebites} June 2, 2012

does an over the rainbow salad lead to an emerald city salad?

65 Chanara Greene June 2, 2012

Thanks for starting this Angie! I am excited to eat more veggies this month and see how much more energized I feel! Hopefully I can put together some amazing salads like yours:)

66 Tara June 2, 2012

Wow! These salads look yummy! I try to eat a salad daily but it’s usually just a typical salad. I am excited to try some of the ones you’ve posted! Do you sent out e-mails with a link to your posts? If do, I want to receive them. Thanks!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

yup! you can find my RSS and email feeds on the right hand of my page near the top (where the twitter, facebook icons are)

68 Tara June 2, 2012

Thanks for the fast response. i just signed up!

69 Ann June 3, 2012

We made your Avocado Tahini Dressing yesterday and had a fabulous salad with dinner, loved it! I noticed that there are salads from the blog not on the Recipage, so I searched through your blog and found many others, like Taco Salad for One, Vegan Ceasar Salad, Green Goddess Dressing, Spring Has Sprung Salad, The Big Summer Salad–so many new yummy ones to try! They may not seem too exciting to you, but I love just getting more of a feel for how you eat, and really enjoy the more basic but still “so Angela” recipes.
Can’t wait to see what new salad ideas you have coming!
*Ann

70 LizAshlee June 3, 2012

I didn’t get beets this week, but I have loving them on my salads..for like this past month! I figured I needed to take a lil break so I didn’t get burned out! I am excited for this challenge!

71 Lauren June 3, 2012

I tried your perfect veggie burgers, and holy cow! They really are the best veggie burger I’ve ever had! Even my 200 lb., meat-eating, where’s-the-protein-in-this-salad husband loved them!

72 Tara June 3, 2012

I have just been introduced to your site and I couldn’t be more grateful. I am trying to get on track with my health and my weight and your story and recipes are just what I need. I will start the salad challenge on the 11th, but take it as far as I can. Last week I perfected my vegan breakfast smoothie and this week I will tackle cooking those super-grains the right way (I’ve never tried any of them before) so they will be perfect in those salads. Thanks!

73 Ashlee June 3, 2012

Ange, In your original post about the salad challenge, you asked if we had any ideas for a July challenge. I have been thinking about it quite a bit, and then it occurred to me — In Dr. John McDougall’s most recent publication he challenges individuals, vegan and non-vegan alike, to eat more starch (potatoes, sweet potatoes, pasta, beans, peas, lentils, rice, corn, grains, whole grain bread, etc). He calls it “The Eat More Starch” Challenge. In a study they found that males lost 14-19 pounds during an 8 week period just because they ate more starch. One of the chapter headings of his book says, “People passionate about starches are healthy and beautiful.” Vegans can eat too few veggies/salads, but they can also consume too few starches, and get a little off track with too many nuts, seeds, fruits, desserts, fats, etc. Starches provide great satiation and comfort. Anyway, I just thought I would throw that idea out there.

-Ashlee

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

That’s an interesting idea. My problem is the opposite though…I generally eat many more starch foods than vegetables. I guess it just depends on the individual!

75 Ashlee June 4, 2012

That must be why you glow!

76 Tara Miley June 3, 2012

I am taking on the Salad a Day challenge for June! I made the Rainbow Salad to take for lunches to work this week. It’s sooooo good. I especially love the dressing. I have half a recipe left and can’t wait to try it on something else! Thank you so much for sharing your recipes!

77 nik0lem June 3, 2012

To start off I’m loving the salad challenge! I wanted to make the over the rainbow salad with tahini dressing and was sad to realize my tahini had gone bad. I live in a tiny town and buying more was not an option. I swapped the parsley for cilantro and opted for a peanut dressing. I used this recipe for inspiration, making a half batch, and “lightened it up” as Angela would say by using half the oil and adding a but of water for consistency. I made a few other changes like raw coconut sugar and natural peanut butter. Yummy! Thanks for keeping us inspired with your amazing recipes!

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

yum looks good!

79 Christina Shumway June 3, 2012

I love your Avocado-Lime Black Bean Salad!! I can’t tell you how many times I have made it!! It is my go to quick dinner. Love it!!

80 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 4, 2012

Hooray for salad days!!! :) Can’t wait to jump on the bandwagon. Thanks for hosting Ange!

81 Lorii Abela June 4, 2012

Lots of salad that I should try. Thanks for sharing these salad ideas..

82 Desirea June 4, 2012

At first I thought that it was SO weird to top a salad with male syrup. But I have made the detox salad a couple of times and I finally tried it with the syrup. It is soooo good. Completely different taste. I’m sorry that I ever doubted it!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

no worries…I doubt myself all the time. ;) Glad you enjoyed the salad.

84 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles June 4, 2012

Yum, your salads look so amazing! In my opinion, the more salads in my life the better!

85 Dawn June 7, 2012

I’ve tried the Detox Salad and the Over the Rainbow Salad so far and both are delicious. My husband took leftover Over the Rainbow Salad to work for lunch and one of his co-workers asked him what he was eating. He told him cabbage salad and the co-worker asked him what he did to make me mad. If only I could get the husband to eat beans or broccoli.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2012

hah cheeky coworker! Glad you are enjoying the recipes.

87 Katie June 9, 2012

I haven’t checked out your blog in a while and I’m so glad I found this!! I really need to add salads back in my life, thank you!

88 Heather July 6, 2012

Mmmmm, that Citrus Beet Salad looked amazing! I SO wish I would have discovered your blog a month ago! Any chance of extending the Salad A Day Challenge through July? ;)

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Sure, go for it! Im trying to rock the salads all summer long ;)

90 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 27, 2013

These look great! Gonna try that citrus and beet one soon
I pretty much live on salads and smoothies in summertime, sometimes even in winter too hehe