Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

IMG 9978 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

Last Victoria Day long weekend, Eric and I were busy working on our house. He was trying to figure out how the heck to build his first deck and I was trying to figure out how the heck to plant my first vegetable garden and weed an acre of land.

IMG 6073 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

IMG 6149 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

One year later, we are at a completely different place in our lives, living in a new city that we adore. We have a fraction of the space, no yard for a garden, and are unable to renovate because it’s a rental. While this life change has taken time to get used to, we couldn’t be happier with our decision to move. Instead of spending all of our weekends (and money) on the house, we are now able to relax a bit more without feeling guilty for spending a couple days away on the weekend. We will buy another house at some point in the near future, but for now, we are content to be carefree renters for a little while. Eric wants to buy a fixer upper, so I might be in for it!

20120518 144524 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

After a 3.5 hour drive in stop-and-go traffic on Friday, we finally arrived at my in laws eager to enjoy this beautiful weather. The forecast was calling for picture perfect long weekend weather, which I mentioned, is quite rare for Ontario in May!

IMG 0056 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

Lake Ontario:

IMG 0034 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

As always, I came with food in tote.

I made a spin-off of my Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess bowl. This has to be one of my all-time favourite recipes on the blog and I don’t think I’m alone – it’s one of the most popular salad recipes of 2011. I always forget how much I love it. Ok, not really, but I don’t make it enough!

Note: All this salad talk lately is foreshadowing a challenge coming up!

Here it is before the tahini lemon dressing is mixed in:

mail.google.com thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

This time I subbed the green lentils for black beluga lentils and added sundried tomatoes and kale into the mix. I also omitted the tomato and cut the garlic in half. All finished off with a sprinkle of Herbamare and lots of pepper. The olive oil was reduced from 2 tbsp to 1.5 tbsp because I deemed it perfect as it was. The salad turned out incredible. You can eat it on its own, as a high-protein side, served over a bed of lettuce, or stuffed into a pita or wrap for lunch. It’s really versatile and makes perfect leftovers!

Click here for the full recipe.

IMG 0109 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

Let’s see, what else did I bring?

I had bananas to use up before we left on Friday so I decided to make mini banana blueberry muffins. I just winged this recipe and it turned out pretty good, but I still want to make a couple tweaks on the recipe before sharing.

20120517 191606 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

Other foods I packed:

Lunch foods:

• Raw flax wraps
  • hummus (do I even need to tell you this?)
  • 1 large avocado
  • Crackers

Breakfast:

• Vegan overnight oats: Before leaving, I added two servings of vegan overnight oats into a large mason jar. Then I shook it all up and threw it into the cooler. It’s a super easy “travel” breakfast that you can pump up with fruit, granola, crumbled muffins, etc.
  • Mini muffins (above)
  • Berries and apples

IMG 0071 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

Ok, so these technically weren’t vegan overnight “oats” as we know it. For a change, I used quinoa flakes instead of rolled oats, and I must say, I really, really didn’t like it. The quinoa flakes virtually disappeared in the mixture, save for the tiny quinoa “tails” giving a gritty texture on the tongue. Next time, I will certainly stick to rolled oats! How should I use up my quinoa flakes? Cookies? Granola bars?

Other highlights of the weekend included lots of red wine, dairy-free strawberry basil gelato, walks and lounging instead of “workouts”, catching up with family, three cats brawling on our bed at 3am, and my skin feeling sun for the first time in months. And there is still a day to go. What more could a girl ask for?

20120518 220602 thumb   Victoria Day Long Weekend: The Food & Photos!

For the rest of the pictures, see the photo gallery below.

char eats greens May 20, 2012

Sounds like a perfect weekend so far. I felt like I should hold my breath when I saw that the weekend was going to be perfect!! I really am shocked that there was absolutely no rain in the forecast whatsoever. Let’s hope this is the first of many times the long weekend turns out perfect. Enjoy the rest of your weekend…and the wine ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012

I know when does that ever happen? Tomorrow looks nice too. You better get yourself some of that gelato! ;)

Averie @ Averie Cooks May 20, 2012

Those muffins, berries, & salad…simple (summer) foods but they look amazing and I could go for any of them right now.

And congrats on your rental. Nothing wrong with..especially!! when it makes you happy and you have more free time (and money) as a result of that choice. When I saw that opening pic of you, I remember SO Well that post from last year when you were trying to decide what to plant and planting it. Boy how life changes, eh?! :)

Sana May 20, 2012

I am glad you and Eric are a lot happier!

Jenny @ simply be me May 20, 2012

That’s my favorite salad too! I make it all the time. I ran out of tahini the last time I made it and subbed in pumpkin seed butter. I was a little concerned but I couldn’t tell the difference one it was all mixed together :)

Richard May 20, 2012

Hey Angela, I too have always wondered what to do with quinoa flakes…i usually slip them in batter (buckwheat pancakes, for instance). Came upon this recipe yesterday: http://www.juliemorris.net/2012/05/17/quinoa-chia-energy-bars/ . It uses substantially more quinoa flakes than i put in my batters, so i look forward to trying it.

Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful recipes…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012

Thanks Richard, looks great.

Barbara May 20, 2012

I love your photos! especially the adorable kitty, looks just like my own!

Somer May 20, 2012

Oh Angela, I’ve never seen that salad before. Must make it! Thanks for re-visiting it! I also wanted to tell you how much your blog has helped me since I went vegan in January. Seriously, because the cookbooks I bought at the time weren’t the right ones. Anyway…. Glad you had a lovely weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

I’m glad you are enjoying the blog & recipes!

Stefania May 20, 2012

hmm, are quinoa flakes different than plain quinoa?

And congrats on all the changes in life- I can’t wait to be done renovating and feel carefree!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Hey Stefania, Quinoa flakes are made by steaming and rolling quinoa grains. As a result, the flakes cook super quickly, much like rolled oats vs. oat groats.
They are similar in appearance to rolled oats, but much smaller.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 20, 2012

Looks like a great weekend so far! Glad you two are enjoying city life and are happy with your choice to move. Enjoy one more day of relaxation!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 20, 2012

It was gorgeous here as well! I think they need to change the saying to April showers brings May AWESOMENESS.

Oops, that doesn’t rhyme? Well darn, oh well ;)

I like that saying too!

Erica May 20, 2012

Quinoa flakes are really gross. I learned that one the hard way too! However, they do have their uses (I always keep a box on hand). I add them to muffins and cookies, but my favourite way is to use them as a binder in granola. They help make good clusters! I also use puffed quinoa instead of oats and it’s delicious!

Great tip, thanks!

jenny v May 20, 2012

Where do you live, Angela? My husband and I are curently in Toronto and looking for a change…we want a slower pace with more ‘greenery’! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend!

Hi Jenny, we’re in Oakville

Robyn May 20, 2012

sounds like a great weekend with lots of great pics. I made a really good recipe with quinoa flakes(2 cups worth!),,,they were a miso ball with dipping sauce from Healthful Pursuit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Sounds great I will check it out.

jannifer May 20, 2012

I love the bee photos!!

Thank you!

Katie May 20, 2012

What a fun weekend! I’ve never actually made that salad before and I can’t think of a good reason why (lazy? – that’s not a good reason though) but it’s on the to-do list! Looks so good!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 20, 2012

Quinoa flakes are great in GF cookies! It sounds like you had a great weekend! And those muffins look super tasty!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 20, 2012

Sounds like you’re having a great May long weekend! Ours is pretty relaxed this year, but I like it. Beautiful pictures, Angela!

About the quinoa flakes: Dallas’ mom is gluten-free so I used the quinoa flakes in place of rolled oats in your lentil loaf when we had the family over for Christmas dinner. Everyone loved it! Maybe save them for recipes like that?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Aww that is so good to know. I will try that next time.

Danielle May 20, 2012

Sounds like a perfect weekend, Ange!

I’m glad that you and Eric were able to adjust your living situation to the needs of your current life. Hope utter happiness in the new home continues :)

Thanks Danielle!

Michelle@PeachyPalate May 21, 2012

I was tempted to try the overnight quinoa flakes thing but I won’t now! I use my in tray bakes and cakes and bars. And also pure flake bakes are great!

Hayley @ Oat Couture May 21, 2012

Oh my how much have I missed?! You moved?? Seems like only yesterday Eric was cracking on with that deck!! Wish you both all the best with these new changes and surroundings, glad you’re both enjoying them! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

It’s ok you didn’t miss much. ;) I think it’s been 2 months in our new place or around that. Thanks for your best wishes!

Leah May 21, 2012

Two months already?! That went fast!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

I know, that’s what I was saying! We still have stragglers to unpack hah

Emily (Edible Psychology) May 21, 2012

What a perfect looking weekend. I loved looking at all of the photos! Hope the rest of your weekend is just as wonderful.

~Emily~

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 21, 2012

I have to agree on the ease of renting. Owning a house has some advantages and more freedom, but renting takes such a load off your mind! I’ll be doing it for the foreseeable future haha.

Looks like such a fun weekend! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 21, 2012

What beautiful photos! I miss Lake Ontario! It’s so beautiful, my favorite part is Niagara on the Lake! Growing up in Buffalo, I didn’t appreciate it enough, now I live in California and I miss the Great lakes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

I know what you mean. I hope to get out to Niagara this summer

LizAshlee May 21, 2012

What a beauitful weekend..thanks for sharing all your gorgeous photos..I want to lounge by that beautiful lake!

Anj Krip May 21, 2012

Hey Angela,

I love your blog and recipes. I use Quinoa flakes as I would oatmeal. So I cook them in the microwave with berries and water or almond milk. Then I add all my usual oatmeal additions…..brown rice protein powder, cocoa, stevia, cinnamon etc. They are really good and have an oatmeal texture. Sometimes too I’ll blend spinach with my liquid and add it to the raw flakes then cook it. Once you add all the other stuff you can’t notice the spinach and my kids love it….and it’s a great way to get their greens into them..:) It’s super filling too..:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Thanks, I will have to try it in cooked form, maybe with some rolled oats mixed in for texture.

Michele Sparrow May 21, 2012

I love the sweater you have in the first photo. It’s an Anthro sweater and I have it…just in the other color! LOVE it! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Thanks Michele, I got it for a bday gift last week and Im in love with it. Eric makes fun of me b/c I wear it 24/7.

Michele Sparrow May 21, 2012

That’s awesome. I ordered the color you have after I had worn the oatmeal colored one every day as well. However, it looked red online and when I got it it was coral, which, being auburn haired and fair skin, is not the best color for me. My sister (who had your coloring) got the coral and looks great in it. Don’t you just love Anthropologie clothes? :-)

Brittany Clemens May 21, 2012

I have an idea for your quinoa flakes–you could make British Flapjacks (simply replacing the butter with EB or coconut oil) and use some quinoa flakes in place of the oats! I wouldn’t reccommend using only quinoa flakes because of their texture but adding 1/4-1/2 cup could add some wholesomeness to that sweet treat :) (and if you do happen to make, adding coconut and chocolate, as with all things in life, is a very, very good decision)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

just googled British flapjacks…they sounds to die for!! I love that idea. :) How do you normally enjoy them?

Brittany Clemens May 21, 2012

They are SO amazing and simple! I’ve been using this recipe: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/03/british_flapjacks, with the obvious butter switcheroo and adding shredded coconut and then dipping in chocolate but I think that dried fruit would be great too! Ooh–also I have used coconut sugar in place of the brown without any distinguishable issues. If you make them, be warned–they are incredibly addictive ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2012

yum!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 2, 2012

I grew up with choc-covered flapjacks (I just called them flapjacks as I was in areas of the world that only knew the British ones as the real ones!). I still struggle to remember what American flapjacks are – are they pancakes? I was never sure :S. But yes, they’re fabulous, please make a healthy recipe for flapjacks (British ones!) and post it!! I’d loooove that :)

Tonya May 21, 2012

The bee is now my destktop background! lol

hahaha awesome!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 21, 2012

I can’t believe how perfect the weather is this weekend – this almost never happens! I’m glad you’ve been enjoying it with your family. :)

Also I’m excited to make that recipe again – I made it last summer and LOVED it but I had an allergic reaction to the tahini I used, so I haven’t made it since. But now I’ve found a brand of tahini that I don’t react to, so I will definitely be making it again!

Wendy May 21, 2012

I’m not a huge fan of quinoa flakes by themselves but they do have their uses. If you want to eat them at breakfast I would recommend doing 1/2 quinoa flakes / 1/2 oatmeal. I find that I really need the oatmeal for texture. Also, I’d skip the overnight thing with them because they just get too soggy. I’ve used them in your protein bars and to make a snack mix. (Again – with the snack mix I also used oatmeal.) I also really like them as a binder in veggie burgers or falafel. And as someone already mentioned they work well in baking – cookies, muffins and breads. As an example last week I but almonds and quinoa flakes in my food processor and make a “flour” for cookies.

Great ideas, thank you!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 21, 2012

What a gorgeous weekend, and great pics too Ange! I absolutely love your orange knit cardigan (I’m assuming it’s a cardigan but I can’t really tell from the back). Isn’t it amazing how different your life is now, one year later? I hope you enjoy the rest of the long weekend – soak up that sunshine!

Leah May 21, 2012

Your in laws have such a gorgeous backdrop to their place. So peaceful! I’m glad the weather has been good for you. I remember many May long weekends that rained the whole time! What a nice change.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

I remember that too…this weather has been so warm the past 6-9 months!

Cait's Plate May 21, 2012

Looks like a fantastic weekend! Those mini muffins look incredible! Love the blueberry/banana flavor combo :)

Helen May 21, 2012

Any recommendations for a good sub for tahini in the dressing? Whereas I am not a massive fan of tahini I LOVE everything else in the Goddess Bowl – what other dressing ingredients do you think would compliment the salad?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Hmm I am stumped with this question.
You might be able to get away with a very small amount of natural peanut butter, but Im really not sure. I will let you know if I think of anything else.

Andrea May 21, 2012

I have been wanting to try quinoa flakes for a while now, so it’s good to hear someone’s perspective on them! Those blueberry muffins look amazing – that one towards the bottom right with the ginormous blueberries on top? Yeah, I’d be all over that!!

The very first bee picture is one of my favorites out of that group – such a beautiful and simple moment in time that you captured :) And when I first saw the picture of the two bowls of gelato, I thought they were big cupcakes loaded with frosting! Ha!

I like how you think ;)
Thanks that was my fav pic too.

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 21, 2012

Sounds like a lovely weekend :) We had great weather here in Philadelphia but today it is back to rain and gloom. Unfortunately I was sick all weekend so couldn’t really enjoy the weather, but it will come back :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Hope you feel better soon Alex!

Alex @ Raw Recovery May 21, 2012

Oh thank you Angela!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 21, 2012

I saw my first roof top garden this weekend in NYC! It was amazing- hopefully one day I can afford to have something like that : )

xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

That sounds amazing! We have a rooftop deck…maybe I can do some potted plants?

Moni Meals May 21, 2012

Love the photos Ang! What great meals, snacks, and company, bee. :) You captured it all!

Katie May 21, 2012

Your weekend looks like it was a ton of fun! :)

It’s nice to hear someone else enjoying renting. My boyfriend and I keep getting people telling us we’re throwing money away, but we enjoy the freedom that comes with renting (no maintenance). We’ll buy a house one day (when we can afford it), but until then we are living the renters life! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Everything has pros and cons right? We miss things about owning a house and we don’t. We like things about renting and we don’t like other things. I do think buying is better long term as an investment, but there’s nothing wrong with renting for a while until you are ready! :)

Emily May 21, 2012

That salad looks so yummy! We are going camping this weekend and I’d love to bring it along – do you think it would last (undressed) for a day or two? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2012

Yes I do. I assume you will have a cooler? That’s what I did with mine too…I just mixed in the dressing as I needed it. :) As long as they can stay chilled I think you are good to go.

Page 1 of 212»