How I Spent The First Day of My 29th Year

20120516_112631

My birthday started off in the best way possible…with a bouquet of my favourite flowers. I almost never buy flowers, so when we have them in the house it’s such a treat. My favourite flower is the peony and I also love chrysanthemums, so Eric put both of those into the bouquet. A girl could get used to this. :)

Next up, Eric made me a “surprise Green Monster” for my birthday breakfast. I was instantly transported back to that time when he put an entire banana – including the peel – into my smoothie, not knowing that the peel wasn’t a normal part of a smoothie. Do you guys remember that? My stomach still flops over the thought of drinking an entire banana peel. I won’t ever let him live that one down.

20120512_102707

Thankfully, no “surprise” banana peel this time! Just one delicious GM made up of mixed frozen greens, almond milk, a frozen banana, blueberries, chia seeds, and wheatgrass powder. The surprise? He threw in a few chunks of dark chocolate! I’ve always wondered why his smoothies always taste so good…now I know.

Despite the windy, rainy, and cool weather, we had a great 5k run complete with lots of walking breaks. I’m still taking it easy on my knee and so far it’s doing well.

20120516_091607

We both worked for the morning and then headed to Toronto for lunch at Fresh on Crawford. No matter what we order we always know we will get a good meal at Fresh. We’ve been going for almost 3 years now and it’s become a tradition on my birthday. Here is a post from 2009, the very first time we went to Fresh.

We started with our go-to drinks: the All Green juice (cucumber, celery, parsley, kale, ginger, lemon) and the Lucky Charm smoothie (raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, mango).

20120516_132343

For an appetizer, we devoured the Soho Falafel, made up of herbed falafel balls, quinoa & adzuki bean tabouleh, flax hummus (incredible!), and fluffy pita wedges.

20120516_133512

It’s definitely my fav appetizer at Fresh, next to the quinoa-battered onion rings of course.

Eric ordered the insanely good BBQ Burger with tangy BBQ sauce, quinoa onion rings, garlic mayo, napa cabbage, hot banana chilies, tomato, lettuce, served with Fresh’s house-made vegan burger patty.

20120516_134453

Eric said this is one of his fav burgers of all time! I snuck a couple bites and it was incredible.

I ordered the Tangled Thai salad made up of spiraled carrots and yellow beets, jicama, napa cabbage, chopped peanuts, cilantro, cucumber, Fresh salad topper, and creamy peanut lime dressing. This salad was a first for me, but it certainly won’t be the last!

20120516_134426

On the side, my fav quinoa-battered onion rings.

IMG_7943

A peppermint tea was the only thing that could fit in my belly for dessert. I was saving myself for cupcakes!

20120516_141145

After lunch, we popped into Juicers 4 Life on Bloor and I bought some Paraflexx sheets for my dehydrator, something I have been meaning to do for 2 years now. They are non-stick reusable liners for the dehydrator trays.

20120516_155614

When Eric asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said a homecooked dinner and night off from the kitchen would be amazing. He claims he is not a cook and tends to get overwhelmed when making recipes, but I tell you they always seem to turn out amazing. I think this is going to have to become a weekly occurrence!

On the menu? Dragon Bowls for two. It features vegetables such as sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli, golden raisins, and carrots, mixed up with cooked brown rice and a lovely maple-tamari-olive oil sauce. It’s served over a bed of lettuce. I absolutely love serving hot meals on top of lettuce and this was no exception. Oh and did I mention that I ate leftovers for breakfast this morning?

IMG_9975

Eric adapted Nikki’s recipe which was originally inspired by a dish from 14 Carrots in NYC. For the dressing, Eric played around with this “Dragon Sauce” recipe found on Chowhound. I was so impressed that he pulled it off, not that I had any doubts. The look of pride on his face when I told him I loved it was just priceless. As he was finishing up the dishes he said, “I don’t know how you cook and bake all day long….I’m exhausted!”

For dessert, we enjoyed my favourite chocolate cupcakes with strawberry jam coconut frosting. I successfully subbed half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour and all the olive oil for melted coconut oil. The cupcakes rose incredibly high like they always do.  One of my big complaints with some vegan cupcakes is that they can turn out gummy, but these are light and fluffy as you’d hope they would be.

20120515_144357

I wanted a naturally coloured pink frosting and strawberry jam worked perfectly. I also subbed out the Earth Balance for coconut oil and it turned out quite nice. The consistency is a bit different (a bit more “slippery” than when using Earth Balance), but I managed ok when piping it. I might have to play around with this recipe a bit more, but here it is in case you want to as well.

Strawberry Coconut Frosting

This frosting needs to firm up in the fridge after piping, so keep that in mind. Also, I don’t suggest keeping the cupcakes out on the counter too long either. Store them in the fridge until ready to use.

Print, email, or text this recipe

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup coconut oil (you want it buttery in texture- not melted or super firm)
  • 1/4 cup strawberry jam (stir before using)
  • 1.5 cups sifted icing (confectioner’s) sugar, or a bit more if needed
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

1. Chill a bowl in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. This will help keep the frosting a bit more firm.

2. With an electric mixer, beat together the coconut oil, extract, and jam.

3. Gradually, add in the sifted icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add more icing sugar if needed and adjust everything to taste. Add a pinch of salt.

4. Pipe onto cupcakes and immediately place in the fridge to set. The frosting will become firm, but will soften at room temperature.

20120515_200413

After dinner, we headed out for a walk along the lake and then cozied up for the night with a movie. A lovely birthday indeed…I’m liking 29 already.

20120515_102105

Thank you for your birthday wishes in my last post! You really know how to make a girl feel loved.

1 Danielle May 17, 2012

sounds like a lovely day! Happy Birthday to a fellow May-baby (Mayby?) :)

2 Emily May 17, 2012

What an amazing Birthday! Happy 29th Year! (And major kudos to Eric for pulling off a delicious dinner!)

3 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 17, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday! Sounds like the perfect day to me!

4 Faith @ For the Health of It May 17, 2012

Happy birthday – glad you ushered it in with so many wonderful things! What I would give for some of those quinoa battered onion rings right now.

5 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) May 17, 2012

What a sweet hubby!!! A whole banana peel! hahaha I remember that post. I love when my hubby cooks for me. I think they make good cooks when they keep on trying. :) QUINOA crusted onion rings?!?!?!? YUM! Happy belated birthday girl!

6 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 17, 2012

That looks like the perfect foodie birthday! Lucky Charm drink?! YUM.

7 Willow May 17, 2012

What a great day! Happy Birthday! And isn’t it great when our guys cook us food? My boyfriend is also great at throwing things together, but rarely does… might have to be my birthday request, as well! :D

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 17, 2012

Aw what a perfect day! Given the choice, I’d have my birthday lunch at Fresh as well. I’m glad you two got to spend it together and WELL DONE Eric on the amazing dinner!! :)

9 AdrienneCarolyn May 17, 2012

Happy belated birthday to a fellow May 1983 baby!! So far 29 is pretty groovy :-)

10 Ella @ Lifeologia May 17, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday!!!
What a beautiful day indeed ~ you are one spoiled girl ;D
Fresh sounds amazing (hoping that pita bread is g-f) and those onion rings? really battered in quinoa? Yum!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

You can check out my knock off recipe here: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/28/crispy-baked-onion-rings/ (you can add puffed quinoa into the dry batter, but I didnt have any) mine are also baked instead of fried.

12 Robyn May 17, 2012

the quinoa onion rings at fresh are my fave too! and i also love the beach, energy and buddha bowls!

13 Sylvia May 17, 2012

LOVE the flowers!!!!!!!! My absolute favs too!!!! Happy Birthday!

14 Hannah May 17, 2012

Aww this sounds great, Angela! Very simple. May birthdays must be where it’s at – mine is in May, too, as are a lot of my friends.

15 Danielle H May 17, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday! Looks like your day was enjoyable and relaxing! Oh and yummy too!

16 Jasper {crunchylittlebites} May 17, 2012

29 is going to be a very wonderful year for you Angela. You deserve a lovely time. It’s going to be super! Happy Birthday, Angela!

17 Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan May 17, 2012

Happy Belated birthday!!! I’m honored that you tried the Dragon Bowl!!!!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

It was delicious, thanks for a great recipe!!!

19 Samantha May 17, 2012

Sounds like such a nice day!

I just bought one of the Fresh cookbooks and am in LOVE with it, so it’s nice to see some of the actual food here!

20 barb May 17, 2012

Happy birthday. My top 3 favourite food bloggers all have Taurus birthdays! You, the Pure 2 Raw twins, and Leanne from Healthful Pursuit. Makes sense…Taureans have such good taste!

21 Katie @ Creature of Habit May 17, 2012

I think I would make a trip up to Canada just to try Fresh. It always looks amazing!

22 Ashley May 17, 2012

What a fun day!!! I do not remember the banana peel smoothie. That is the funniest thing ever. Chris is the same way in the kitchen…he acts like he doesn’t know what he’s doing but then pulls off delicious meals. Boys. :) I’m not a fan of onion rings but wow do those look good!! Glad you had such a great day.

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

It was his first time making me a green monster right before my best friend’s wedding. He just assumed the entire banana went into the smoothie…no biggie. I chugged it down and was like “oh that was so good, thank you!” and then later on he casually mentioned that he “didn’t know if the peel would blend up smooth…but the vitamix did a good job.” bahaha

24 Cait's Plate May 17, 2012

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you rang in your 29th year in a great way :) Here’s to many more fun days ahead!

25 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday!!! The flowers are beautiful!

26 kaity May 17, 2012

looks like a great day! and those onion rings?!?! im drooling you should totally try to remake them just saying;-)!

27 LizAshlee May 17, 2012

What a wonderful celebration…sounds perfect!! I can’t believe he used a banana peel, I can definitely imagine Travis doing something like this! hah

28 Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday! That is one of the most beautiful bouquets I’ve ever seen! Hydrangeas and peonies are my favorite.

29 Kristina Stefan May 17, 2012

Sounds like a perfect bday! Lots of yummies!! Wishing you a WONDERFUL year!

30 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 17, 2012

Happy (belated) birthday! It’s so awesome that you two were able to spend most of the day together!

31 Leah May 17, 2012

So glad you had such a good day…a very “you” kinda day! Birthdays are the best and happy Eric was home to share it with you!!

32 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 17, 2012

Happy belated birthday- it looks like a perfect day (and the food… whoa!).
29 is great- but 30 is where it’s at!! (actually I should say 32 is where it’s at, since that’s where I’M at.)

33 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 17, 2012

awwww what a perfect birthday! Eric is so sweet :) and Fresh is one of my favourite restaurants- love those quinoa onion rings with garlic mayo for dipping! So good. The dinner that Eric made you sounds amazing, too.
Happy Birthday, Angela!! :D

34 Destini May 17, 2012

Wonderful way to spend a birthday. Dinner at home that I DIDN’T cook sounds ideal. My bday is coming up…maybe i should start dropping the hints

Happy Belated bday :)

35 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy May 17, 2012

Those cupcakes look delish!! I literally want to make them now and eat one for breakfast! Happy Belated Birthday!

36 Carrie @ Little Apartment, Big City May 17, 2012

Sounds (and looks) like an incredible birthday! Here’s hoping the rest of your 29th year is just as sweet :)

37 Catalina @ Cake with Love May 17, 2012

Happy birthaday Angela!! I love peony too, and told my husband to get me some today :) all the food looks delicious, but the onion rings are really calling my name!

38 Katrina Brush May 17, 2012

Sounds like an amazing day! Love the food pictures. They are making me drool. My kids love the quinoa onion rings. I am sure I will be making them more often now that burger season is back. Enjoy your last year of the 20’s, but the 30’s are even better.

39 Lindsay May 17, 2012

Those falafel and quiona rings look amazing!

40 Lindsay May 17, 2012

Looks like you had an amazing birthday, and those onion rings look fantastic! is it just quinoa in the breading or spiced up? I’d guess super technically it’s your thirtieth year (as your first year is before your first birthday) but whichever it is, yours looks perfect! :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

its puffed quinoa :)

42 janet @ the taste space May 17, 2012

Happy birthday, Ange! Looks like you’ve found yourself a keeper.. sounds like a delicious dinner and fun trip to Toronto. :) Btw, upaya has “generic” silpats for the dehydrator which are cheaper.. although I don’t know how much you paid for yours.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

that’s good to know! Do they have a store front?

44 janet @ the taste space May 17, 2012

No store front. You can order from them online. I bought the generic ones and they work just as good as my Excalibur brand ones so far. :)

I can`t wait to see what you make that will use those sheets.. yum! :)

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Great, I’ll keep that in mind :)

46 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 17, 2012

What a special and awesome day. Love the sailboat pic and those cupcakes and frosting!

When I first got my juicer and actually used it (Lol) I remember reading online from some pretty high-brow people what amazing nutrients are in the rind of watermelon and you juice the entire watermelon. So I juiced the entire watermelon, rind and all. It was not pleasant. It seriously ruined watermelon for me for about 4 years! Rinds…should not be eaten!

Your banana story jogged that memory :)

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

hahhah…oh the things we try for health right?

48 Céline May 17, 2012

Happy belated birthday !

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Thanks Céline!

50 adena May 17, 2012

I LOVE hot food served over lettuce, I thought I was the only one. I do it with everything! Spaghetti, chili, chicken and veggies.. maybe not breakfast, then again why not!!

Happy Birthday!

51 Laura May 17, 2012

Happy birthday Angela! And I know what you mean about the onion rings from Fresh. I could probably have a stack of those with a candle stuck in the middle for my birthday cake and be TOTALLY FINE with it. On the bbq burger, they’re unreal. So delicious.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

haha so true :) I love that they stacked them on the BBQ burger!

53 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 17, 2012

omg I wasn’t around for the banana incident. That’s incredible. Kevin would do the SAME thing!

54 Sana May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday!

55 Vanessa May 17, 2012

Happy 29th Birthday! I turn 29 TODAY and like you, people keep giving me the message that I’m 29 “and holding”. Sounds like you had a great start to a great age!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Vanessa!

57 Tracy May 17, 2012

Looks like you had an amazing birthday! Eric did a great job on those dragon bowls, now I am craving one myself, lol. He should guest blog his meals on your site once in a while ;) Maybe my fiance will be inspired by Eric’s adventures in the kitchen. Mine makes a mean breakfast, but when it comes to dinner he backs off.

58 Stephanie May 17, 2012

Oh my goshhhh Fresh is so freakin good!!! I have yet to try the onion rings and I need to!!! Anyways, I love your blog and I’ve decided to “tag” you to post all about your morning hygiene routine!! http://sgreenjuice.blogspot.com/2012/05/green-beauty-my-morninghygiene-routine.html I know all about your green eating and vegan lifestyle, so I am wanting to learn about how your green-ness extends into other areas, namely the beauty/personal health, area of your life!!!

59 Anna @ The Guiltless Life May 17, 2012

Such a great day! You’re so accomplished for 29, you must feel so proud. I can’t believe that day of eats, just looks fabulous. I love when you mention restaurants because I note them down for the next time I’m travelling somewhere!

60 Heather May 17, 2012

Looks like an amazing day – glad you had a nice birthday!

Your lunch at fresh looks so good. I have never been and am dying to go! I think I need to commission you to make those cupcake for my boys :)

Happy Thursday.

61 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 17, 2012

Those flowers are gorgeous! Looks like a wonderful Birthday

62 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday! The flowers are beautiful!

63 Ellie@Fit for the Soul May 17, 2012

HAPPY BDAY ANGELA! ahhhh hahaha it’s so cute how Eric put the whole banana in there! :P Hmmm I’m sure the peel has SOME benefits? Hope you have a beautiful day today as well.

64 Aimee M May 17, 2012

I LITERALLY laughed out loud when I read the banana peel part! So funny!!! Glad you had a wonderful birthday :)

65 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove May 17, 2012

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Happy belated birthday!!

66 Alex @ Raw Recovery May 17, 2012

Joyeux anniversaire! That burger and onion rings…omg…I need me some of that now

67 Amber K May 17, 2012

What an amazing start to your 30th year! (I know I’m the annoying one with the pet peeve to point out that it’s actually the first day of your 30th year, now that you’re 29. Just like babies live their whole first year before turning 1.)

But my craziness aside, it truly does look like an amazing day. Quinoa onion rings? Yum!

68 Danielle May 17, 2012

Sounds like a fantastic day! I love the tangled thai salad. Eric’s creation sounds delicious!

69 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday!! What a special way to celebrate :) I’m really craving those falafel, adzuki quinoa, and quinoa onion rings!! I have never seen adzuki beans used in quinoa before…my grandmother makes sekihan, which is a Japanese version of red beans and rice with adzuki beans, and it’s very delicious.

70 Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See May 17, 2012

Happy 29th! Sounds like you had a lovely birthday! So impressed that Eric pulled dinner off–especially since those dragon bowls sound amazing!

71 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 17, 2012

Sounds like a fab bday to me! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

72 Brittany May 17, 2012

Happy Belated, Birthday!! It sound like you had a marvelous day.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you turned 29 then you are starting your 30th year, not 29th. You’ve lived 29 years (thus being 29 years old) and are starting to live your 30th year.

My sister-in-law pointed this out to me years ago when I turned 25. She wished me a great 26th year… I didn’t appreciate it at the time…. :)

(If it still doesn’t make sense, think of a one-year-old. One their first birthday they turn one, and start living their second year – not their first year of life).

Happy birthday again!

73 Adina May 17, 2012

Happiest of (late) birthdays! It sounds like the most perfect of days. I make green smoothies with almond milk, banana and spinach all the time and have never thought to add dark chocolate to them! I’ll definitely try it next time – it sounds totally delish.

74 Aneta May 17, 2012

I LOVE those flowers!!! BEautiful!
MAY is my favourite month of the year – It’s my birthday (3rd), my wedding anniversary (6th), my younger daughter’s birthday (8th), MOTHER’s Day, and my older daughter’s birthday (31st) :) Happy birthday! Aneta

75 LizW May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday!
You do know, of course, that this is actually the first day of your 30th year?! You just completed your 29th year :)

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

yes but I refuse to say im 30 until next year! lol

77 eatingRD May 17, 2012

Looks and sounds like a wonderful birthday! That restaurant and Eric’s meal looks delicious! Here’s to another great year :)

78 Jennifer Grey May 17, 2012

Happy, Happy Birthday Angela! I don’t comment nearly often enough, but I love your blog, I have tried practically all of your recipes, and well, I just adore you!

If it’s not asking too much, would ever consider sharing a falafel recipe with us? I’ve tried several different ones from around the web, and they all came out pretty bad. I just know you’d hit it out of the park!

oxox
Jennifer

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Sure I will keep that in mind! Thanks for your kind words :)

80 Jane May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday! It looks like you had quite an enjoyable day. From the GM, homemade dinner and stories you’ve posted in the past I have to say that a husband like Eric in my future sounds pretty great. I love that you guys share so much with each other and seem very supportive of one another. I will be 29 in a little over a month and while you seem to have accomplished so much more than me in 29 years I’m making changes at the moment and feeling enthusiastic about everything. We all live our lives at different paces, right?

Well, here’s to an amazing year ahead! I promise it will be.

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Thank you Jane! All the best to you in your future as well! Goodluck with your changes. :)

82 deirdre May 17, 2012

happy birthday! sounds like you had good eats, good company and good scenery…what more could you want?!

83 Kat May 17, 2012

To make a natural pink icing you can also use beet juice! You don’t even taste it when it’s mixed in.

84 Kat May 17, 2012

Also, I go to Fresh pretty much every week (no exaggeration). I’m so addicted. Next time you have to have the date-almond smoothie! Their brunch is amazing too!

85 kristen @ verbs and vignettes May 17, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ms. 29! :-) the pink frosting looks delicious. it’s ok that they need to live in the fridge.

86 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

87 Zestful Lou May 17, 2012

What a wonderful birthday!

I LOVE peonies, too! I want them for my October wedding, but I’m not sure if I will be able to get them since they are a summer flower. :(

I think I saw that tangled thai salad on Pinterest like a year ago. I wonder if it’s the same one?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

88 Kalee May 17, 2012

Happy belated birthday!! The quinoa-battered onion rings look amazing! I just tried quinoa this week, and I wouldn’t have ever thought about these. yum!

89 Goldeelocks May 17, 2012

Looks awesome!!! Happy Birthday!

90 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 18, 2012

What a perfect birthday – and it sounds like Eric went all out with the flowers and kitchen time :) I’m glad you had a good day.

91 jo @ includingcake May 18, 2012

yay- happy (belated) birthday! It actually was my 29th birthday last Friday and I also woke up to a green smoothie…alas no one else to make it for me! ;-)

92 Nikkilooch May 18, 2012

Happy birthday!

93 Libby May 18, 2012

Aww what a perfect birthday! Flowers and a lovely home-cooked meal, what a lucky girl :) Glad you had a lovely day!

94 Amy May 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Angela! Sounds like a perfect day. Love your recipes so much :) So many of them got me through the Boston marathon this April! Great fuel!

95 Gena May 18, 2012

Happy slightly belated BDay, dear Ange! Many happy returns from NYC :)

96 Hilary Eva May 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Angela!
It sounds like you had an amazing day. I am definitely looking forward to going to Raw as soon as possible!
I was just wondering, what kind of frozen greens do you buy and where do you buy them?
Do you find them to be more economical than buying fresh greens?

Thanks!
Hilary

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012

Hey Hilary, Ive tried cooking greens brand which is nice and also the 365 brand of mixed greens (collard, kale, etc). I haven’t actually compared the prices to fresh greens, but given how long a bag of frozen greens lasts me, I would guess that they are a bit more cost efficient maybe. I will have to check on this!

98 Triathlonbabe aka Grace May 18, 2012

Happy Belated 29th! Hmmmm, I use that number for my birthday every year! LOL! Looks like you had an amazing b-day…love it when the DH cooks!

99 Stephanie May 18, 2012

What a sweet husband you have! It sounds like the perfect day.

100 suzanne May 18, 2012

Happy Birthday – sounds AMAZING! And in case no one else has mentioned it – if you just turned 29 (I am thinking that is what you had said – but I could be wrong) – you are actually in your 30th year! But no worries – life only gets better with each decade (at least so far for me!) :)

101 Mme G May 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Angela! And welcome in your 30th year! If you just turned 29, this means that you have lived 29 years and you have just begun your 30th….

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012

shhhhhhh ;) I know, I know…it’s just not as fun til I actually turn 30 officially!

103 Shanda Bezzant May 18, 2012

This past week on Mothers Day I asked for a day off in the kitchen. My husband was a trooper but very glad the day was over! He made your waffles with strawberry syrup for breakfast, your leftover veggie burgers for lunch, and your vegan Shepard pie for dinner. Can you tell we like your recipes? Oh and I made your brownies the night before so I could eat them with blackberries throughout the day!

104 Ruth May 18, 2012

Sounds like a fabulous day! I am not completely vegan since I partake of eggs, goat cheese and goat’s yogurt. I definitely find inspiration from a lot of vegan recipes (like Chocolate Covered Katie’s Blog!) since my body does not like dairy, gluten or refined sugars. Keep up the good work!

105 Tiffany May 18, 2012

Happy Birthday, Angela! Looks like I’m not the only May-girl around… Mine was the 6th, but I’m still a baby at 23… How’s it feel being 29 now? I can only imagine… I think to myself “in 7 years, I’ll be 30. Too soon and I don’t know what to expect!”

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012

happy belated! 29 feels no different to me than other years..heh

107 thevoiceoftimidity May 19, 2012

Oh, happy birthday! It looks like you had an amazing day :)

108 Fresh Restaurants May 19, 2012

Happy Birthday! We are honoured to be a part of your birthday traditions!

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012

Thank you!

110 Cookie and Kate May 19, 2012

Happy belated birthday, Angela! Looks like you had a really fantastic day. And quinoa-battered onion rings? I want a recipe for those! :)

111 Sara May 20, 2012

Happy belated bday!! Tried the Dragon Bowl, with dragon sauce, and I’m in LOVE! another amazing recipe from your site!!

112 Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) May 21, 2012

This post made me crave Fresh so I went today. I was sad to find out the Quinoa Battered Onion Rings aren’t gluten free but I really liked the Tangled Thai Salad. Thanks for the recommendation!

113 Michelle May 24, 2012

Happy B-lated Birthday! :)
Looks like you had a birthday day that I would adore.
That’s too funny that your hubby put the whole banana in the blender before. Mine bf tried to take the beans out of the Green Beans last night…. might have taken him a while. Glad I noticed lol!
Michelle – Holistic Life Coach

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2012

hah that’s funny stuff!

115 char eats greens May 24, 2012

We have the same birthday AND we both have the same favourite flower. My mom actually bought me 3 peony plants! They’re on my balcony and I’m just waiting for them to bud!! I took a look at them today and still nothing. I seriously cannot wait!!

116 char eats greens May 24, 2012

PS – I’m so showing my hubby the meal that Eric made, and maybe it’ll give him some inspiration. He does surprise me as well when he cooks for me with how well he puts things together, so in case he forgot that, this post will serve as his refresher ;)

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday!

118 Lisa B. May 28, 2012

Happy birthday! Not to burst your bubble, but if you turned 29 you’re in your 30th year, not your 29th. : )

119 Kristin May 30, 2012

Hey!

I made the chocolate and strawberry cupcakes and they were delicious! However, I had a horrible time managing the frosting. I know you said to put them in the fridge, but while I was icing them the icing was falling all down the sides of the cupcakes even after I tossed them in the fridge one by one after I frosted them.

Any suggestions on how to make this more manageable??? Thanks so much!!

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Sorry to hear that Kristin! Was the icing chilled before you piped it onto the cupcakes? It needs to be chilled before and after.