Chocolate Covered Strawberries from Scratch!

IMG_9938

Just in the nick of time, I ended up thinking of a few things to make for my get together on Saturday. I worked hard all afternoon and of course made a complete disaster of the place. Is it ever possible not to make a disaster just before hosting a party? Don’t think so. Not to mention the mirror backsplash in this kitchen seems to double the mess. I need a kitchen sign that reads: Objects in mirror are less messy than they appear…I swear!

20120512_160458

Sadly, the incredible one-bite pizzas weren’t one of my ideas on Saturday, but they will be making a comeback for future get togethers, this I know.

I’ve been dying to make chocolate covered strawberries from scratch for a while now. I made traditional ones on our second wedding anniversary in 2010 using melted chocolate chips and a touch of coconut oil, but this time I made them without chocolate chips. You can check out this anniversary post for a wedding recap and a couple recipes – “love butter” strawberry muffins and the original chocolate covered strawberries!

Lately, I’ve been experimenting with homemade chocolate. I’ve made recipes using cocoa butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, raw cacao powder, vanilla, natural sugars, and nut butter, using all kinds of variations and methods. I have this habit of testing out a million and one variations before I am happy with these types of recipes. I annoy myself so much, but the outcome is usually worth it!

When the chocolate ingredients are heated together, it creates a rich chocolate sauce that you can pour on just about anything. Or you can dip strawberries into it which is what I’ve done here. Instantly, you have yourself a classy party food, with barely any effort at all.

IMG_9937

It gets better! When the chocolate sauce is chilled in the fridge it firms up, but not too firm. The chocolate doesn’t get super hard and break off the strawberry like with regular chocolate covered strawberries; it remains bendy and easy to bite into! Always an unexpected bonus. My friends commented that these were the best chocolate covered strawberries they’ve had and loved that the chocolate wasn’t really hard.  I like to call it “bendy chocolate”. :) You could also use this on sliced bananas too.

IMG_9943

4 from 3 reviews

Chocolate Covered Strawberries From Scratch

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free

By

Yield
24-28
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao powder, sifted
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (no subs)
  • 1 tbsp all-natural nut butter (I used cashew butter)*
  • 1/4 scant tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
  • Unsweetened shredded coconut, to garnish
  • Optional pink glaze: 1/2 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar, 1 large strawberry, 1/2-1 tbsp strawberry jam, processed in a mini blender (makes enough to glaze about 8-10)

Directions:

1. Wash and pat the strawberries dry. Set aside.
  2. In a small pot, whisk together the maple syrup, coconut oil, nut butter, and cocoa powder over low to medium heat. Whisk for a couple minutes until all the coconut oil is melted and remove from heat.
  3. Dip strawberries into the chocolate mixture, coating most of the strawberry. Place onto a plate lined with parchment paper or on a wire rack. Repeat for the rest and sprinkle with coconut. Chill in the fridge to set.
  4. If making the pink frosting: with a mini food processor, combine the icing sugar, strawberry, and jam until smooth. You may need to add a bit more icing sugar depending on the consistency of your jam. If you don’t have a mini processor I suggest not using the whole strawberry and just mixing in a bit more jam into the icing sugar until the right consistency is achieved.
  5. Spoon the frosting into a baggie and snip off the end. Pipe frosting onto the strawberries and place back in the fridge until firm.

Here I am guarding my strawberries with my life!

20120512_200040

20120515_144357

In other news, today is my 29th birthday! Well, tomorrow if you are reading this Tuesday night. As my family jokingly tells me – it’s my first of very many 29th birthdays. hah. Time goes by faster every year I tell you..it’s a bit scary. I feel so blessed to be alive and healthy, even if it’s something I sometimes take for granted in the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

It’s hard to believe that 29 years ago, I was just a wee baby with no idea of what my life would hold!

IMG-3

Word to my loving mama and big sis.

Well, my partner in crime is treating me to a fun-filled birthday, so I’ll be back with the recap soon!

Page 4 of 4«1234
Nate May 13, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made these tonight for my wife for moms day tomorrow. After dunking 3-4 strawberries the mix separated and stopped sticking. I figured maybe it had to be warmed up again and it got worse. Not sure what happened but it didn’t seem to work. I melted some chocolate chips and finished the strawberry container. Anyone else have issues with it separating?

Fred Seymour February 18, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made this Today-Had four surprises for Wife (Roses, Chocolate Strawberries, Clean our car, and picnic)
I always try to make healthy deserts that she gives me the side eye for, but this one she said was a Ten

Thanks, I’m going to make them form y church next.

Going to try and blend dates in the vitamin and omit the maple syrup

Angela Liddon February 21, 2017

Lucky lady! I’m so happy to hear you both enjoyed the treat.

Amber May 26, 2016

What is the purpose of the nut butter? I have roasted salted cashews that I could process, but I don’t want to taste them in the chocolate (not as subtle as raw cashews).

Angela Liddon June 1, 2016

Hey Amber, the nut butter simply provides a bit of a thicker texture for dipping. Although I’m sure it would work without any too (although I have yet to try it out myself). Enjoy!

Amber June 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

It worked just fine without it! Thanks.

Nicole March 14, 2015

Hi, I just wanted to say how much I love your recipes because they actually taste good. As someone who is trying to eat healthier after a lifetime of eating processed junk, when I go to the mindbodygreen websites, & they’re recipes taste so awful to me, it’s very discouraging. I made these strawberries & they were delicious. Totally curbed my chocolate craving, & I felt good about nourishing my body with fruit. Thanx! -Nicole

Mimi February 15, 2015

I followed the recipe exactly and am having trouble getting the chocolate to stick to the berry (and the berries are bone dry but cold from being in the fridge). Perhaps they need to be room temp.? I used baking cocoa and cashew butter as stated. (The taste is divine!)

Lisa July 19, 2014

Just made these and they were amazing!!! Just had to write in to let you know.

amanda April 19, 2014

Just tried your chocolate covered strawberry recipe. Thank you so much! I can’t wait to shared it with my SIL. She can’t eat soy, dairy or gluten.

Ashley July 13, 2013

I just made this recipe using raw cacao powder… it is absolutely delicious! using coconut oil, pure maple syrup and raw cacao taste absolutely amazing together!! the touch of coconut with the cashew butter is absolutely excellent. like a little sweeter dark chocolate. thank-you so much for sharing your discovery!!! a beautiful vegan sweet!!!!!!!

Betsie March 21, 2013

Hello,
I was so excited when I saw this recipe! I tried making these and my chocolate mixture separated and it didn’t work. Any ideas what I might have done wrong?
Thanks,
Betsie

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2013

Hey Betsie, It’s hard for me to guess unless I was there making it with you. Sometimes coconut oil can act a bit funny – it’s important that it’s whisked very well with the other ingredients. Did you make any changes to the recipe?

Darin February 13, 2015

I had this same problem. I whisked it for a long time but the oil never incorporated. I did sub in natural peanut butter. Could that have put to much oil in?

Stephanie February 22, 2013

I just made these and they are perfect! You saved my life. Swapping to whole foods and not having processed sugar I kissed chocolate covered strawberries goodbye. I stumbled on this recipe googling chocolate covered strawberries with coconut oil and you popped up. Sure glad you did :) even my 7 year old nephew gave them 3 thumbs up lol. Forever a fan

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2013

So glad you enjoyed them Stephanie! Thanks for reading :)

Stephanie February 12, 2013

I made this last night and it was delicious! However I had trouble keeping the chocolate on the strawberry. It seemed to slide off… Any tips???

Angela October 25, 2012

Hey angela, these strawberry’s look delicious! I’m hoping you’ll be able to read this since you posted this recipe a while ago now! This may be a silly question but would I be able to use carob powder?

meg @ pinkgiggles May 20, 2012

These look amazing :) I’m going to make them for my brother’s fiance’s bridal shower next weekend. Thanks!

Jill Hahn May 19, 2012

So beautiful and so healthy! Can’t wait to try.

Lauren May 18, 2012

I just wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday! Your site was one of the first I ever came across upon exploring the world of food blogging, and I’ve loved it ever since! Thank you for all the great recipes…especially your cookie dough balls ;)!

Allison May 17, 2012

Oh my gosh!!!!! Just made this and it is out of control !! I wanted to eat it from the pot like chocolate soup!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2012

you arent the only one! heh

Monika May 17, 2012

Happy birthday! I hope you received some extra special treatment! Enjoy your last year in your 20’s! I turned 30 last year, but I’m loving the 30’s too. :) We’ll definitely be trying those chocolate-covered strawberries soon. We’ve been getting a bowlful of sweet, juicy berries from our garden every day the past few days!

Beth May 17, 2012

I whipped this up last night and dipped banana chunks in it since had eaten all of the strawberries! Perfect!

Katie May 17, 2012

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Susan May 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Angela! I love your blog – and it’s pretty obvious that you love what you do so keep doing what makes you happy.

Misty May 17, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA!!
BEST WISHES!

Lori May 17, 2012

I love your website. I love your recipes.
Happy Happy birthday! I am a Canadian in Australia (Couldnt help but notice you are drinking a yellow tail wine….Australian.) The best Australian *Vegan* wines are from the YALUMBA range. you can buy them in Canada – about 13$ a bottle when I was there last.
Most are filtered through egg whites or milk at the finishing stage to clear out sediments, but Yalumba doesnt use either. So pure vegan wines. And they taste DIVINE!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2012

Thank you Lori!

Yellow Tail Red wines are actually a vegan wine too! Check out barnivore.com to search your fav brands.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 16, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Angela! (A bit belated, sorry!) I hope you had a wonderful day and are still celebrating now :)

These chocolate dipped strawberries look amazing too – I’m so impressed you made the chocolate from scratch.

SueAnn May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday! Your strawberries look luscious! I will be making these soon! Can you tell me how you keep track of your recipes? I need something, soon! I’m looking at cookmarked.com right now.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 16, 2012

Oh my gosh. I never you could make chocolate-covered strawberries from SCRATCH!!!! Do you think carob powder would work in place of the cocoa?

Brooke May 16, 2012

Ooh, now I really want to make chocolate covered strawberries! Yum :)

jenna May 16, 2012

happy birthday Angela! your blog is my favourite! <3

hannah alehandra May 16, 2012

Happy birthday Angela! I’ve told you many a time but god I love your blog! Great content, and you’re so loveable :) Enjoy your day sweetheart. Much love, from England.

Cindy May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Angela, you are getting better all the time. Thanks so much for all your wonderful recipes.

Dreena Burton May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Angela! Wishing you a beautiful day, and many more years of ‘glow’ ahead! xo

Botox Gal @ The Botox Expirement May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday!!!

Brenda May 16, 2012

Hi Angela, I love your site! I have been struggling to lose weight, and wondering if you could give me some tips. I would love to eat the way you do, but do you count calories?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012

Hi Brenda, I don’t count calories – I have learned to listen to my hunger cues after a long battle with disordered eating in my past. Me and counting calories just don’t work together in a positive manner, Im afraid. All the best to you!

anaiah May 16, 2012

“Thirties” are better….I feel I am at a better place as far as life in general but also I think I know myself better now and am ready to just enjoy life, not search for myself anymore. I will turn 33 this summer….yikes! lol. Enjoy 30 and the wonderful years to follow!

Sam May 16, 2012

Happy birthday Angela!!! Those look absolutely delicious–chocolate covered strawberries are one of my favorite desserts ever but I haven’t had them in ages. Looking forward to trying them!

Michelle May 16, 2012

Happy, Happy Birthday! I hope this next year is wonderful for you!

Lara May 16, 2012

♥☆★☆•°*”˜”*°•.¸☆ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ☆¸.•°*”˜”*°•☆★☆♥
Sending you a basket full of birthday wishes with stars to reach for, sunshine to bask under and rainbows to marvel at.