Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

IMG 9737   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Eric has this new thing for kale chips.

Specifically, “cheezy” kale chips. The guy is practically obsessed. Every time we find ourselves in Organic Garage, he sneaks a bag of kale chips into the cart and then gets annoyed with me if I eat too many of “his” chips. I never thought I’d have to fight him for a dried up green leaf! When we first met, his vegetable consumption consisted of potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, and corn. Eleven years later, I don’t think there’s a vegetable he won’t eat. Give me time and I can wear down even the toughest critic.

Well, this kale chip obsession motivated me to dig out my rarely used dehydrator and start making kale chips again. Have you ever had cheezy kale chips? They are basically “chips” made from torn kale leaves which are coated in a “cheezy” cashew sauce and then dehydrated until crisp. They are ridiculously addictive. I personally cannot figure out how to make a batch last more than 1 day.

IMG 9742   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I’ve made Doug McNish’s sour cream and onion kale chips many times in the past and they are always incredible. For this batch, I decided to make a new flavour with sundried tomatoes, basil, and other seasonings for a fun twist. Very tasty idea. I found myself just eating the sauce-covered pieces of raw kale before they even were put into the dehydrator. Always a good sign the recipe will be a success!

IMG 9723   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I spread out the batch on 3 trays and set the temperature to 105-110F. Then I left it overnight for about 12 hours until they were nice and crispy. I awoke to this.

Breakfast?

IMG 9725   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Sun-dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

Like nachos only better tasting and better for you. Satisfy your every chip craving with these cheezy, salty, green, and crispy kale chips!

Print, Email, or Text this recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 large bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves ripped up
  • 30 grams organic sundried tomatoes, soaked in water to soften for at least 1 hour (see note)
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
  • 2 large garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp soaking water from tomatoes
  • 2-4 tbsp fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste

1. In two separate bowls, soak the sundried tomatoes and cashews in water for at least 1 hour, but preferably 1.5-2 hours if possible. After soaking, reserve the tomato soaking water and set aside. Drain and rinse the cashews.

2. In a food processor, with the machine running, drop in the garlic and process until minced.

3.. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the salt. Process until smooth, scraping sides as necessary, and add salt slowly to taste.

4. Wash the kale leaves and tear the kale into pieces, discarding the stems. Dry the leaves in a salad spinner (this helps the sauce stick). Place greens into a large bowl. Pour the cheeze sauce on top of the kale and stir with a spoon. Then toss the spoon and get in there with your hands to massage the sauce into the kale until well coated. Season with salt to taste. I used a few shakes of Herbamare.

5. Dehydrate for about 12 hours at 105-110F. Kale chips are ready when they are super crispy and taste magnificent. I dare you not to eat a full batch in 1 day.

Note: My sun-dried tomatoes were very hard and dry so I had to soak them first for about 1-2 hours. If you are using oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, you obviously won’t have to soak them first. I would add them to taste and then use filtered water as needed, rather than the soaking water

IMG 5971   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

I bought my Excalibur dehydrator a few years ago when I was running the bakery. I have one of their largest models because I was making over 200 raw bars at a time in it. It was a bit insane. If I could do it again I would have a smaller model for personal use (they do have many sizes too). The Excalibur works well and I haven’t had any issues with it. I do find the “humming” noise to be a bit annoying, so I like to dehydrate overnight whenever possible.

IMG 9335   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale ChipsIMG 9727   Sun dried Tomato Cheezy Kale Chips

If any of you have a dehydrator, feel free to leave a comment with the brand and model as a few readers have asked me for recommendations. Bonus points if you have a recommendation for a reliable dehydrator at a low price!!

Now, I know you are wondering…well, can I use my oven if I don’t have a dehydrator? I’ve been told that it’s possible. If some of you have made cheezy kale chips in the oven, please leave a comment below and let us know what temp, method, and duration you used. Merci!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca May 4, 2012

mmmmm adding sundried tomatoes is a good idea! The last time I made kale chips, a handful would go into the dehydrator, then another handful would go into my mouth…it’s dangerous work, kale chip making ;)

Ashley F. May 4, 2012

I make mine in the oven – generally a full cookie sheet with an even layer of kale I’ll cook at 350 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes. I find the trick is to check on them often and remove the pieces that are done while allowing the others to continue to cook (that way they all get crispy but you don’t end up with burnt ones). Hope that helps!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy May 4, 2012

I have a Nesco dehydrator that I found on craiglist so it was super affordable. I read up on the brands of dehydrators before I went searching and Nesco was the best bet!

Marlee @ SweetHealthNut.com May 4, 2012

This looks and sounds amazing!! I’ve made kale chips int he oven with nutritional yeast, but after reading this, I need to try this cheesy cashew sauce… and I’m contemplating getting a dehydrator! You are very convincing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

To be honest, I dont use mine that much, probably because 1) its huge and 2) im impatient….BUT if you think you will make a lot of raw foods it could be worth it!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 4, 2012

haha from the guy who used to drink loads of soda! Too awesome that he gets upset with you when you eat too many of “his” chips. Kevin gets the same way when I make him apple fries (sliced apples baked with a crunchy almond flour topping). He gobbles them up with his shoulder OVER the plate so I can’t sneak in and grab a couple!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

We’ve clearly created monsters…bahah

Mary May 4, 2012

I make cheezy kale chips in my oven! Not with an actual cheeze sauce (I toss them in olive oil, nooch, garlic powder, and salt) but they are pretty wet and floppy when I put them in there and they still come out crispy so I think the cheeze sauce would work too.

I bake mine at 300 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes, depending on how heavy handed I was with the olive oil. It also helps that I live in Colorado where we have zero moisture in the air to begin with so they crisp up nicely!

Jill May 4, 2012

mmmm those apple fries sound delicious. Wanna share?

Ileana May 4, 2012

Woo, I hope you keep making veggie lovers out of people!

Amy @Health Hungry May 4, 2012

I just thought today that it’s time I purchase a dehydrator! This is clearly a sign, don’t you think? I posted today about a friend’s Vegan Raw goodies that she sent me, so much better than anything I can buy. Your kale chips have me curious, up to this point I have not been a fan… Do you know the price range for the dehydrators? Do they use much electricity?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

I dont know the general prices for dehydrators, but I would suggest checking out some of the suggestions in the comments and reading reviews on amazon. Thats usually helpful (or more confusing!). Excalibur reports it costs 4-5 cents an hour to run their dehydrators.

deirdre of ladies holiday May 4, 2012

a dehydrator is on my someday list…until then- bags of kale chips for me and I’m not sharing! Love the new banner!!!!

Stacy May 4, 2012

These look yummy! I have gotten my husband to like kale, but nutritional yeast is another story. He says he still can’t get over the smell. Too bad, but I’ll keep trying it on him!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

maybe just knock him out with garlic and he won’t be able to smell the nooch ;)

Ilana May 5, 2012

maybe this is just my tastebuds but I feel like baked garlic tends to get way way way too bitter with the kale. i like other herbs like basil or cilantro to brighten up the mix a bit.

Carmi May 4, 2012

I put kale on a large cookie sheet and put in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. I watched it constantly! Then I took the kale chips out of the oven and flipped them, putting them back to cook for another 15 minutes. WATCH THEM …They turned out great!
Storing them is something else, because like many of you I tried paper, tupperware etc.. I finally put them in a glass jar that was on its side. I left the lid off. They lasted 3 days. I don’t know if I will do it again, as I didn’t like them sitting on the counter without a cover. Bit of a germaphobe over here!

bitt of raw May 4, 2012

I love the excaliber dehydrator! I got a 9 tray because the 4 tray was always getting so messy because it’s so small. I like the way with the 9 tray you can spread out the sheets and then not get the tray bottoms so messy. Can you tell I hate the clean the thing? I haven’t had much success with oven kale chips, I heard one second too long and they burn up. I’d rather go slow and steady overnight in the dehydrator if possible. More nutrients that way too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

I burned a batch of cheezy kale chips in the oven a while back…not very fun! I think I baked them at too high a temperature.

Lisa May 5, 2012

I have the same dehydrator i love. Im making these chips this weekend; can’t wait!

Adija Mugabo May 4, 2012

Personally, I like to bake my kale chips at 225F for 45 minutes. Now, I tend to use half the amount of sauce that most recipes use. Probably because I like to inhale them so quickly and I still want them to be a healthy snack. But I find that at a lower temperature, if I forget on them all of my work isn’t ruined. So yeah, I prefer slow and foolproof to quick and precarious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Thanks for the tips!

Ana May 4, 2012

I have made this recipe many times http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/baked-kale-chips/

I have made them with different seasonings and when you add a thinker coating I let them bake an extra few minutes.

suzanne May 4, 2012

I LOVE kale chips – have made them in the oven but they do seem to burn (esp the ones on the outer part of the pan) – even with mixing them around. I just bought some for the first time – and OH MY – YUM!!! They have a lot of coating too – look like yours. They were $8 for a small bag so it would be incredible to make them – I am SO ready to try this recipe :)
I have been toying with buying a dehydrator but the excalibur is so expensive – and the one I seem to hear most about. I am not sure I would use it enough to put that much money into it. I am glad to hear others responses – will look into those brands. What kind do you have angela? Are you happy with it?
Thanks for another great recipe !!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} May 4, 2012

We have a 115 oz. container of sun-dried tomatoes (already soaked in oil, actually) in our cabinet. It’s from Costco. Here’s my question for you Angela: if I use up the entire container of sun-dried tomatoes for making your cheesy kale chips alone, (which I’d need 127 bunches of kale by this evening if I wanted to use up the entire container this weekend) how long do you think it’s take me to consume 127 batches? I’m thinkin’ I just took loaded question to a whole new level…

Gulcan May 4, 2012

Hi Angie and others,
out of my curiousity: isn’t it expensive to keep an electric machine running for 12 hours? I’d love to have a dehydrator but am quite put off its downside of using too much energy thus being not so much environmental-friendly. Any thoughts?
Cheers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Hey Gulcan, I can’t speak for all dehydrators but I’ve read the Excaliburs don’t use much energy, and cost reportedly only 4-5 cents an hour according to their website. I assume others are the same. Much like the oven and other appliances, I do think they should be all used in moderation though!

Liz May 4, 2012

I cannot believe all the varying times, temps and procedures to bake kale chips in the oven. So, of course, I thought I’d just throw my method out there as well. :-D It’s super simple, I’ve done it half a dozen times (with cheesy chips, too), and it works beautifully for me ALL the time. (DISCLAIMER: I’ve never had RAW/dehydrated chips so I can’t attest to how closely they resemble those, BUT mine are wonderfully addictive, and No, these never last more than an hour in my house. In fact, somehow, HALF of my chips have already disappeared by the time they get taken off of the tray! ??!?!)

–250F (121C), on an aerated tray (I use the broil tray/sheet from the broil pan that came with my oven. I imagine a roasting rack would work, as well.)
–Bake for 20 mins, flipping once and rotating the pan, 10 mins into bake time

SO easy, so perfect, every time. I’ve used the broil PAN when the chips wouldn’t all fit on the tray, and those take 5-7 mins longer to get crispy.

Obviously different times and temps work for different people, but my method is as simple as it gets if you don’t have a dehydrator. **And the chips on the tray definitely come out nicer than when baking on a sheet or pan.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Thanks Liz!

This is too funny- “HALF of my chips have already disappeared by the time they get taken off of the tray!”….umm glad I’m not the only one!

Liz May 4, 2012

No. *I’M* glad *I’M* not the only one. :-) WhenEVER I make these, I feel like I’m coming off of a week long fast cause I act like I haven’t EATEN in DAYS. They get stuffed in faster than I can chew!

But, well, there are WORSE things I could be pigging on than antioxidant laden, cancer-fighting, nutrient dense, mineral loaded, vitamin filled, cruciferous veggies, right? Stuffing this in my mouth at the speed of light, bad food habit? Hardly. LOL

Traci May 4, 2012
Robin C May 4, 2012

Whole Foods has a recipe that uses the regular oven at 350 on large baking sheets with parchment paper. I haven’t tried it yet but will soon!

Robin C May 4, 2012

oops forgot to say for 10-12 minutes

Moni Meals May 4, 2012

Love it Ang. Thank you! You are the best.
I need a dyhydrator pronto. Good thing Averie has some great tips above. :)

Michaela@pilgrimageofhealth May 4, 2012

You just might be a culinary genius Angela. Are you going to try them out in the oven for those of us who don’t have dehydrators?

jami May 4, 2012

I’ve got these in my Excalibur as I type…. hubby and I make up a huge batch almost every weekend. They are a staple in our house. I’ll have to try them with the sun dried tomatoes…sounds yummy!

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen May 5, 2012

Kale chips scare me, but I think this recipe should be the first ones I try. They look amazing. Now I just need to get my hands on a dehydrator!

Jan May 5, 2012

Hi, I occasionally make potato chips in my microwave. I have a 1000 watt Kenmore microwave. Because of the nature of potatoes you have to spray the plate with spray oil or take napkin and put a dot of oil on it and rub the plate. Cut the potatoes very thin and place in a single layer on the plate. I thin run it for one minute at a time until I see it starting to brown just slightly. The variable it how thin or thick I slice the potato. Usually takes 2 minutes but that will be decided by the visual appearance of the potatoes. I told you this because I figured if I could do potatoes then I should be able to do Kalk. I tried it with the leaves plain and it worked with heating it for 2 min but because of the nature of Kale I don’t think you will have to spray the plate. I also have a counter-top convection oven. I put a tray of plain kale in at a temperature of 150 degrees for 30 minutes. When I have what I need to coat the leaves I will try the actual recipe. I just figured it might encourage others to test more from what I’ve done. Happy testing! Jan

Michelle May 5, 2012

I’ve used my warming drawer of my oven to make cheesy kale chips before. My warming drawer gets to about 170 on high. And I leave them for a few hours, checking every hour or so. many times the outer chips will be done earlier than the ones on the inside. I don’t let my warming drawer go during the night or when I’m gone since I have a gas stove. My next adventure will be to make fruit leather with applesauce and the fresh strawberries we have.

jane May 5, 2012

are you no longer making glo bars? or is it full time blogging?

Sylvia May 5, 2012

The only success I had in the oven is at about 300 and for around 45 mins with lots of checking and a little flipping them over. Less of them on the tray, the better they turn out.

Ilana May 5, 2012

In the oven, I like to use between 300-325F (depending on how wet or dry the mixture is) for about 45 minutes then flip and bake for another 25 – when I flip sometimes I either raise or lower the heat to the other number. After flipping watch carefully so they don’t burn.

Ilana May 5, 2012

also lining your sheets with parchment is a brilliant idea.

Malea Cooper May 5, 2012

Here is a dehydration method that is cheap and RAW. I cannot take credit for it, but it was used on an episode of Good Eats by Alton Brown. It involves getting a box fan, a couple of bungee cords, 4 cellulose furnace filters (very important-MUST be the cellulose kind!), and some food grade dehydrator liners (very cheaply bought online-just put the description in your search engine). Put the liner on the filter, add your goodies, then another liner, then another filter, until you have 4-5 layers of filters/liners with your goodies encaplsulated inside. Then use the bungee cords to attach the stacked filters to your box fan, turn it on, and leave for 8-12 hours. The beauty of this method is that it uses NO HEAT AT ALL. For you raw foodists, this is awesome, am I am amazed how many raw foodies do not know about this method. Ironically, he was making beef jerky on the episode he used this technique on, but considering meat takes a lot more power to dry, drying veggies should be a snap, not to mention, MUCH cheaper then buying a dehydrator, which is going to use heat and “cook” the food more then dry it.

Emily May 5, 2012

YOUR NEW HEADER IS AMAZING!!
love it!

much love from a fellow ontarian : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Thanks Emily!

Catalina @ Cake with Love May 5, 2012

I love kale chips, this flavor sounds so good!!

Bridget May 6, 2012

I made these last night, using my Nesco dehydrator. I need more trays, though! I had more kale than would fit on the 5 trays I have. They took about 10 hours, and now I have a second batch going (I saved the kale that wouldn’t fit in the first batch in the fridge).

I’ve experimented with kale chip recipes before, and I think these are my favorite! I ate an entire tray this morning “to determine if they were done.” LOL.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

hehe so happy to hear that Bridget!

Laurie June 4, 2012

Hello Bridget,
I have a new Nesco dehydrator as well. I tried to make the cheezy kale chips and set it at 105 and used the easy clean screens. After 12 hours they still weren’t crispy. I was wondering what temperature you set yours at and do you use the screens?

Thanks!

Bridget June 4, 2012

I set it at 115. I used the screens for some of the trays (the bottom ones) but not for all the trays because I don’t have enough screens. The chips seemed the same whether I used the screens or not.

Taylor May 6, 2012

Delish! I made kale chips all the time! Never thought we would eat these more than normal chips but I think it’s safe to say my husband is addicted. He asked me to make them for our annual christmas wine party even… let’s just say our friends found us a bit strange.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

hahahah Eric said we should make them for my birthday party coming up! I just about fell off my chair.

Laura May 6, 2012

Hi Angela,

I’m wondering if you still have the bakery? I haven’t seen much about Glo Bars lately and I remember you selling them online and in local stores. Just curious. The kale chips look insane btw :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Hey Laura, I closed it last year, but thank you for your interest. Who knows maybe someday I will open it up again!

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure May 6, 2012

I make kale chips in the oven all the time, but I use a different method than anyone mentioned, unless I missed it. I coat mine in a mixture of nooch and salt – no oil – with wet kale leaves. I use the dino kale. I spread the pieces on a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake at the lowest temp my oven will go – I think it goes down to 120 – for about 4 hours. I don’t crack the door, and they still get crisp. Sometimes it takes longer than 4 hours. You have to keep an eye on them after about 3 hours so they don’t burn. They turn out crazy crisp and delicious! I store them in a long, plastic container, and they stay crisp for days. I’ve also read you can store them in a paper bag, and they’ll stay crisp for a few days.

Love kale chips!

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure May 6, 2012

PS love the new banner!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

Thanks so much and thank you for your tips!

Vandana Sood Aggarwal May 7, 2012

Hey Angela,

I am writing from India and have been a fan of your work for the past 3 years and love your posts.I was wondering if some other leaf can substitute for Kale, as we don’t get them in India. I have had Bok Choy crisps (fried) but then again as they would be imported in India, I would like to avoid them (carbon footprint et al). Do you think Spinach would do? (Haven’t tasted Kale so don’t know how close or distant in taste it would be) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012

I think spinach would just wilt? I would try collard greens maybe? Im really not sure though, I would probably google it before testing it out!

Thanks for reading all the way from India!!!

Kathryn May 7, 2012

Don’t you love watching your hubby make these healthy decisions all on his own?!!?? My guy is over the moon for kale chips too. He’s even learnig how to make them himself because I can’t keep up with him. I have to hide a little bag of chips for myself otherwise he eats them in a day!

I’m trying to figure out what would need to go into a NACHO variety!

Amy W May 7, 2012

Tried raw kale chips for the first time this weekend. They did not last more than two days!!! Hahaha :)

Page 2 of 3«123»