14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

IMG 7909   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

I’ve been suffering from major recipe block. Or is it recipe flop?

Is that even a thing? I guess it is. I didn’t know it was a thing until I started making so many darn recipes. After last week’s so-so recipe creations, I spilled an entire can of coconut milk all over the inside of my fridge on Friday afternoon. Checkmate. That’s when I knew it was time to step away from the kitchen for a bit.

As it turns out, I like to eat a lot so my kitchen boycott didn’t last very long!

Then there is writer’s block. I can totally understand how writers lose their marbles and go completely bonkers. The more you think about writer’s block, the more blocked up you get. The blanker and more annoying the screen gets. And then you just end up writing something random like this post. I’ve also had speaker’s block since 1985. It can be cured with a couple glasses of wine though, so it’s not too serious. You should’ve seen me on Saturday night! I could’ve hosted my own talk show.

Despite feeling a bit apathetic to recipes as of late, food and I are still on very good terms. Shocker, I know! Grudges are not something I’m into. Just because my homemade chocolate recipe didn’t turn out the other day doesn’t mean I don’t happily take handfuls of chocolate chips from the jar when I walk by. I’m a firm believer in second chances. Plus, this recipe from 2009 wasn’t so bad to begin with.

To celebrate my love for food and streak of recipe flops, this is my next installment of Foods I’m Loving Lately. If you are looking for a recipe, there are a few below, including a fun strawberry lemonade that I can’t get enough of lately.

1. Avocados

For some reason I fell off the avocado train for a couple months, but I’m back like I was never gone. Do you ever forget about foods you love? I do it all the time. Then, BAM, one day I spot it in the store and it’s love at first sight all over again. Eat them in a wrap, on toast, in a salad, or in 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta. I’ve also been known to just slice one open and spoon it straight into my mouth.

IMG 9326   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

2. The Ultimate Organic Raw Wrap by Natural Living

When I think of all the wheat or rice based wraps I’ve enjoyed in my life…these flax wraps trump them ALL! They are bursting with good-for-you ingredients like ground flax, veggies, herbs, lemon, and spices. Wait! How can ground flax taste this good? I really don’t get it either. I bought these at Organic Garage in Oakville (in the freezer section)..but promise not to take my stash from me…

IMG 9318   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

Dressed up with avocado, veggies, and hummus…incredibly good and healthy.

IMG 9331   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

I was actually inspired to dig out my dehydrator (which has been collecting dust!) and try to make my own! I’m going to take my first shot at it today…wish me luck. Sour cream and onion kale chips and banana flax wraps are also on the menu. But first, I should wipe the 5 inches of dust off it.

IMG 9335   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

3. Frozen Mixed Greens

Are you stuck in a spinach rut with your Green Monsters? It’s an easy thing to do. Buying frozen mixed greens is an easy way to get a nice variety of nutrients in your smoothies. This blend in particular has a mix of collard, kale, and mustard greens. I’m not usually a fan of collard and mustard greens (ok…never), but I don’t even notice them once blended into a smoothie.

IMG 9248   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

4. Banana Soft Serve

Spring is in full force and so is Banana Soft Serve! I have bags of frozen bananas in my freezer to prove it. One thing is for sure, you never want to be caught with a banana soft serve craving and find yourself without any frozen bananas. It’s soul crushing. If you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time. To make it simply process frozen bananas in your food processor until creamy like ice cream. You can add a splash of almond milk or other mix-ins as desired. I will forever be grateful to Gena for bringing this into my life.

IMG 0569   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

5. President’s Choice Organic Almond Milk

President’s Choice just made me love them a bit more. They just came out with an organic version of their almond milk. This could be all in my head, but I SWEAR it tastes better (I did a side by side taste test). It’s also the same price as the non-organic Almond Breeze in one of the stores I spotted it.

IMG 9251   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

6. Sasha Co. Spelt Bread Crumbs

Like Panko, only whole grain and very flavourful. I love mixing these into stir fry’s to add a little somethin’ somethin’ & crunchy crunch.

IMG 9322   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

7. Omega Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies

Eric always says that I never make good recipes more than once, so once in a blue moon I prove him wrong. These cookies lasted 2 days.

IMG 6121   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

8. Crofter’s Raspberry Spread

What do you get when you spread Crofter’s raspberry jam, Sunbutter, and a mashed banana onto a piece of toast? Heaven, that’s what.

IMG 9323   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

9. Lemon or lime water

I’ve been trying to get more water into my diet and this is a good start to the day.

IMG 9308   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

10. Asparagus

Ok, I’m finally getting a bit tired of asparagus (I’ve made a couple cookbook recipes you didn’t see!), but prepared this way is just irresistible.

IMG 89221   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

11. Kettle Brand Krinkle Chips

We don’t buy chips very often, but when we do it’s a real treat. I love the short ingredient list of Kettle chips: organic potatoes, safflower/sunflower oil, and sea salt. The jalapeno and salt & vinegar are next on my list.

Might I also add, they are the perfect food to cure a hangover on a Sunday morning!

IMG 3052   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

12. Endurance Crackers

The easiest cracker to whip up and the perfect vehicle for hummus.

IMG 7218   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

13. Medjool Dates

IMG 8471   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

Nature’s candy! I’ve been trying out homemade date syrup too.

IMG 8513   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

14. 60 Second Strawberry Lemonade

Delightful on a hot day. For the recipe, click here. Update: I hear this link isn’t working for some of you. You can also view the recipe on Chatelaine’s website.

IMG 8684   14 Foods I’m Loving Lately!

What foods are you loving lately?

For part 1, see 7 Foods I’m Loving Lately.

Faith @ For the Health of It April 23, 2012

Writers block is the worst – luckily my company understands that they can’t stress the content team out too badly with looming deadlines and that we’ll perform best when we get our minds in the right space! (I personally also have a hunch I’d perform best with those endurance crackers in my belly right now)…

Try not to stress out too badly about stepping away for a bit. Swapping in another creative activity during that time can also help get your brain back where it needs to be!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

Agree! I always say creativity can’t be forced. I guess that’s why I’ve never worked well with blogging on a set schedule.

Liz April 23, 2012

Avocados!! I just made another of your no-bake double chocolate tortes this weekend. I slice it up after we’ve each had a piece (Ok, two pieces) and then individually wrap them so that if anyone feels like dessert or a chocolate fix, it’s right there. I love that I know exactly everything that went into it! Now that you’ve mentioned creamy avocado sauce, I need to make that too!
I also love Kashi Heart to Heart cereal. It’s really good, low in sugar and makes a great pre-gym/run snack.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

I love that idea :) Enjoy the pasta sauce if you make it!

Liz April 23, 2012

It’s a favorite – just haven’t made it in awhile . . which means it’s all we’ll be eating for the next month . . yum! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

ah, glad to hear that! :)

Alex @ therunwithin April 23, 2012

I haven’t even heard of some of those amazing picks. I am loving blueberries and watermelon (finally somewhat in season).

Shannon April 23, 2012

Lately I am loving any sort of soup packed full of veggies. I’m also always in love with carrots & hummus!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 23, 2012

I’m so intrigued by those raw wraps!
I WAS also really into banana soft serve….until one of the blades broke off my food processor! It snapped right off into my soft serve. I’m bitter.
Other than that, I’ve been loving waffle iron french toast, pears, kiwis, and anything mexican!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

ah, what a bummer! Will the company fix it for you? Or maybe the store will replace it?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 23, 2012

I can’t get enough raw asparagus lately – I’ve been adding making a ton of wraps using collard greens as the tortillas and putting all of the raw veggies I can find in them. With hummus, of course. Mashed avocado is a great “sauce” in them too. :)

jenna April 23, 2012

yum!! you’ve made me super hungry and i just ate bfast! i hope you get your groove back soon b/c i’m dying to try those raw wraps! Happy monday angela!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 23, 2012

Uh…is it wrong I immediately thought of making ice cream sandwiches out of the carrot cake cookies and banana soft serve?? *blush*

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

I like the way you think.

Ann April 23, 2012

Hey Angela,
I just wanted to say that you should never doubt that what you’re putting out to the blog universe is wonderful and helpful. I can’t tell you enough (and I never have) how much your blog has spoken to me, and directly affected my diet, lifestyle and goal towards loving my body! Even posts like this are thought provoking and idea-inspiring for the people like me– trying to make a major life shift and working towards being more like you!

You rock,
Ann

P.S. Thanks for the lemonade recipe, I have been wanting to find one without sugar!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

Aw thank you so much Ann, that is so nice of you to say :) I hope you enjoy the lemonade!

Maddi Vonderau April 23, 2012

I totally get how you’re feeling! The last few recipes I’ve made and altered just didn’t come out that great, including a smoothie, which has never happened. Thanks for writing about it and reminding me that it’s a human thing, not a Maddi thing haha. Cheers to some good cooking and great recipes this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

cheers to that :)

Cait's Plate April 23, 2012

I still need to delve into the world of beets. I’ve never tried one but based on how much everyone else loves them, I think I should jump on board!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

I hear you, I used to HATE beets! I started juicing with them at first and that got me used to the taste. Then eventually I was eating them raw in salads and finally, cooked! Now I just love them. Try the golden beets- they are a bit milder.

Cait's Plate April 23, 2012

Awesome! i definitely will – thanks Angela! :)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed April 23, 2012

I am loving tahini ketchup. I think I’ve put it on everything. Seriously considering just eating it off my hand.

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} April 23, 2012

Medjool date = nature’s candy for sure. I like to food process ‘em and roll them in unsweetened coconut, can’t beat a classic ;)

Maureen Pluthero April 23, 2012

add some walnuts and raw cocoa with them in a food processor and they are heaven

Jasper {crunchylittlebites} April 23, 2012

oh girl, I’m gunna have to grab a seat and sip on some lime water to calm down :) thanks for the suggestion!

april April 23, 2012

I have not been feeling or craving much lately! But your frozen Strawberry Lemonade has sparked an interest. Looks YUMMY! I will need to give it a try!

hugs,
April

Jacqueline April 23, 2012

Hope you overcome your recipe-block! Maybe taking a little break is good because the new ones you’ll come up with will just be incredible (as are all of your other ones)! These foods all look super delicious and spring-like! YUM!

Ashley April 23, 2012

Definitely on the avocado train lately! Crofters is my favorite jelly/jam! I am obsessed with the jars and keep them all to reuse. hehee Asparagus has been on my radar this year more than usual and I’ve also found some fabulous organic strawberries already. I love when spring foods start to come into season! Totally feel you on the “recipe block” too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

I can’t wait to save this jar. It’s a special one..hah.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 23, 2012

That organic raw wrap looks incredible! They need to sell those other places

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 23, 2012

Oh I love Kettle chips! I also just bought Terra sweet potato chips last week, and I LOVE them! They only have 3 ingredients, and they are so good!

Yellow Haired Girl April 23, 2012

I Iove the look of those wraps!! Good lucky with the dehydrator today!

Laura @ She Eats Well April 23, 2012

Mmm date syrup? I love medjool dates. Right now, I’m really loving fresh pressed green juices that I get from a juice shop that just opened a few blocks away (yay!). Also loving gluten-free toast with almond butter and bananas. Also loving sundried tomatoes in stirfy!

char eats greens April 23, 2012

I just made banana soft serve for the FIRST time last week and it was awesome! I put some PB and Enjoy Life choc chunks in it…and I was in heaven. The problem is the whole banana thing! I have super ripe bananas (ahem banana bread later today) and super under-ripe ones because those are all the grocery store had yesterday. Serious banana crisis…I know!

Earthy Nicole April 23, 2012

I want to try those wraps! I admit, they look like they couldn’t possibly be any good but you have me intrigued! Also, you don’t have to tell me twice to make breakfast cookies!

I’ve been on a smoothie kick lately, which is normal, but I’ve been experimenting with ingredients a little more lately. I’m also a tea fan so I’m constantly looking for new kinds to try!

Beth April 23, 2012

I’ve really been hooked on almond butter lately. I’ve been making salad dressing with it to go on Asian-style salads and can’t get enough. Also mangoes. I combine chopped mangoes, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapeno and a can of black beans with a lime-juice dressing. It is fantastic! I also have a bit of a glass jar hoarding problem. ;)

Lauren April 23, 2012

I WANT TO TRY EVERYTHING in this post!!! Thanks!!

Danica April 23, 2012

Thanks to you I am a lover of endurance crackers, strawberry lemonade(which tastes just as good as the ones we always get in florida!), and banana soft serve. I also recently switched over to the Organic Almond milk…I use to buy almond breeze but a couple of the ones I bought were bad before I even opened them. so I switched and couldn’t be happier!

Thanks again for sharing all of your awesome recipes!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) April 23, 2012

Avocados! I’ve been craving them but not been able to buy them

Amy Pennington April 23, 2012

Try drinking warm or hot lemon water before your meals…especially breakfast, and it is nice in the evening. It is so detoxifying, you will lose any extra water weight. I drink cold lemon water all day and it does not have the same effect as the warm/hot.

dara April 23, 2012

Hi Angela,
how would I go about making my own wrap using those same ingredients?
much appreciated,
D

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 23, 2012

Seriously… we love all the same things! I can’t get enough of those medjool dates, especially when they’re cold from being in the fridge. I like pulling them apart and stuffing a bit of coconut butter inside or if I’m feeling really crazy, a bit of coconut oil, then dropping the whole thing in cocoa powder. Hello chocolate!
I’m with you on the writers block, I seem to be suffering from it, too.

Trish April 23, 2012

I’m running to the superstore today to see if I can find the PC Organic Almond milk in my town! Yay PC! …. and if I could only be so lucky to find the raw wraps I might do a happy dance in the store.

katie@ KatieDid April 23, 2012

I’m fully on the avocado train too, just ate a half with a spoon and some salt with breakfast! Also tomato juice… strange, tahini… always on that train, and more raw veggies with the warmer weather.

Mandy @ MandyBloomsRaw April 23, 2012

Writers block can be tough for sure- hang on, it’ll pass.
On another note, though, Id like to finally comment on your gorgeous food photography! It alone always inspires me. :) all the foods listed look great.
And as for your question – I have to choose One? :)
Okay – anything with carrot pulp – like Genas carrot cake cupcakes. And now Ill be trying out those flax wraps too! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

Thanks Mandy!

Stephanie April 23, 2012

Those wraps look delicious! I must find them now.

Kris Mullen (@munchinwithmunchkin) April 23, 2012

Margaret Lawrence once said, the most terrifying thing in the world is a blank page. I couldn’t agree more. I was in a recipe rut a few weeks ago. I forced myself to get out of my comfort zone and try something new. It definitely helped.

Emily April 23, 2012

You had me at avocados! I also love dates as a treat. Yum :)

Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen April 23, 2012

Ha! I love how you mention that you forget about your favorite foods sometimes! I totally do that too, and then it IS like love at first site when you discover it again! I also need to get on the frozen banana train. I crave Chocolate Covered Katie’s vegan milkshake recipes ALL.THE.TIME. but I rarely have frozen bananas! It goes right back to forgetting about my favorite foods! I ADORE frozen bananas, but totally forget to freeze them! By the time I realize U need to keep some on hand, they are gone! *face palm*

Heather April 23, 2012

Hi,

The link to the lemonade isn’t working for me…. After seeing the picture I would love to make it.

Thanks for all the recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 23, 2012

hmm can you try it now? It just worked for me. Recipage has been having some issues lately so it could be that.

kaity April 23, 2012

i can only imagine the writers block! ughh ull get through it though! and ive been obsessed with avocados, dates and banana softserve lately too! after my runs in this somewhat hot weather i get home and have a piece of frozen banana and its amazing! and mashed avocado with agave and cocoa powder with a cut up banana has been part of my breakfast all week yum

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 23, 2012

Definitely avocados. And jicama- I just can’t get enough of it!
Those wraps look amazing- and combined with hummus and veggies… oh man. My stomach is growling now!

Ileana April 23, 2012

Lately I am also loving avocado. Strawberries, agave nectar, and homemade bread. And granola, a one-time vice of mine.

Page 1 of 41234»