Mini Peanut Butter Cups in a Jar

IMG_8867

Last week on Twitter, I asked you guys if you’d rather see a main course or dessert recipe for the upcoming Easter holiday.

Of course, many of you vegan goblins said you wanted BOTH!

I like the way you think.

Actually, the majority vote was for the main course recipe, easily by a 80/20 split. Does that surprise any of you? It’s interesting to note this because my most popular recipes (or should I say, the ones that are clicked on the most) tend to be dessert recipes. Maybe it’s the case that people enjoy drooling over pictures of desserts, but in reality, we tend to make more savoury, main course recipes.

IMG_8870

Well, let me tell you, this isn’t a dessert that you should just look at. You should make this now. And be sure to take a picture because they last much longer.

sigh.

IMG_8883

That was the damage I did immediately after the photoshoot. HA!

Imagine a cross between a peanut butter cup and a chocolate peanut butter torte, with a healthy, vegan twist. This is it! My obsession with this idea started when I came across a peanut butter cup recipe over at The Purple Spoon. I couldn’t get it out of my head for days!

IMG_8858

I wanted this dessert to be mini to keep the portion size in check, so I used these cute and portable 125ml mason jars. They worked like a charm! I picked mine up from Canadian Tire. You can find different sized mason jars at many home hardware type stores, as well as Wal-Mart. If you don’t want to use jars you can use ramekins, but the dessert won’t have nearly as much height to it. Or you can easily double the amount that goes into each dish.

IMG_8802IMG_8828

The first thing you do is make a chocolate graham cracker crust with graham crackers, maple syrup, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. If you don’t want to use coconut oil, you can sub in Earth Balance and you can also sub the maple syrup for another liquid sweetener. I added a couple tablespoons of the crust into 5 mason jars and then pressed it down with my fingers until even.

IMG_8830  IMG_8831IMG_8834

Fool proof.

For the second step, I whipped up the insanely creamy and buttery peanut butter filling. I feel all flustered just looking at the picture again!

IMG_8809

My goal for this filling was to make it high in volume, so I used silken/soft tofu to add thickness and body with minimal calories. It was my first time making a dessert with soft tofu and I was a bit hesitant (ok, a lot), but it worked amazing and I could not detect it at all.

Now portion about 3 heaping tablespoons of filling into each jar:

IMG_8817

And place the jars in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

IMG_8835

Now go do some busy work or you will drive yourself insane peeking into the fridge every 45 seconds. I’ve been there…the minutes pass like days.

After the filling sets, melt the chocolate and coconut oil and then spoon a teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of each. Now, quickly twist the jar all around to coat all sides with chocolate. Chill in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate sets. I prefer to enjoy it cold from the freezer, but I let it thaw for about 10 minutes first..if I can wait that long.

IMG_8851

5 from 4 reviews

Mini Peanut Butter Cups in a Jar

Vegan, no bake/raw

By

Yield
Five 125ml jars
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Chill time

Ingredients:

For the crust
  • heaping 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp graham cracker crumbs (10 squares)
  • 1.5 tbsp pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (or Earth Balance)
  • 2.5 tsp cocoa powder
For the filling
  • 200 grams soft/silken organic tofu, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup Sucanat or brown sugar, processed into powder (or 3-5 tbsp icing sugar)*see question #6
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste
For the chocolate shell
  • 2.5 tbsp dark chocolate chips
  • 1.5 tsp coconut oil (or Earth Balance)

Directions:

1. If making homemade powdered sugar, add 1/2 cup of Sucanat (or brown sugar) into a high-speed blender and blend until a powder forms. Set aside, but leave the lid on as it needs to settle.
  2. In a food processor, process the crust ingredients until crumbs are a bit damp. Add 2 tablespoons of the crust into each jar. Spread out evenly and flatten with fingers.
  3. Quickly wipe out the processor bowl. Now add the filling ingredients and process until silky smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
  4. Add 3 tablespoons of filling into each jar and spread gently with a spoon. Place jars into freezer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes to firm up a bit.
  5. Remove jars from freezer and melt the chocolate on the stove-top or microwave. Spoon 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of the filling. Quickly, twist the jar around to coat all sides. Repeat for the rest. chill in the fridge or freezer to firm up the chocolate or just dig in as is!

Tips:

You can also try using my homemade PB graham crackers instead of buying from the store.

IMG_8866

Ingredient/Allergy Questions you may be wondering about:

1. What if I can’t have nuts? If you can’t have nuts, I suggest using sweetened sunflower seed butter as a swap for the peanut butter. You may also need to swap coconut oil for Earth Balance and be sure to check all other ingredients.

2. What if I can’t have gluten? For a gluten-free crust that works amazing (I even tried it myself), try using this pecan based no bake crust. Of course, double check all other ingredients to ensure they are GF.

3. What if I can’t have soy? That is a tricky one for this recipe. My first thought is to use banana (or banana soft serve!) because it’s sweet, easy, and blends super smooth. You may also want to reduce the sugar.

4. What if I don’t have coconut oil?

Feel free to sub Earth Balance for coconut oil.

5. What if I don’t have maple syrup?

Feel free to sub any liquid sweetener of your choice.

6. How do I make homemade powdered sugar?

As I’ve seen on Lesley, Ashley and Katie’s blogs, it’s very easy to make homemade powdered sugar. Simply add Sucanat, brown, or white sugar into a high-speed blender and blend until a powder forms (you can also add a bit of cornstarch to it, but I didn’t bother to for this recipe). Allow it to sit in the blender for at least 5 minutes to settle. There tends to be a huge white cloud when you take off the lid, so it’s a bit messy, but it’s a great, natural swap for confectioner’s sugar so I’m not complaining too much. I didn’t measure how much 1/2 cup Sucanat made, so if you are using store-bought powdered sugar I would start with 3 tbsp and add to taste from there. Sucanat also gives the filling a nice golden tone.

7. What if I don’t have mini jars?

Feel free to use ramekin dishes, but I suggest doubling the ingredients since ramekins are a lot bigger.

I imagine they can also be heated up, but I didn’t get that far…

IMG_8882

Whew, am I chatty today or am I chatty today?

Must have been that 6am hot yoga class…I’m bouncing off the walls here.

Page 5 of 5«12345
ERIN March 14, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I loved this recipe. So easy and will now be a dessert staple! Thanks for sharing.

Olivia March 1, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Once again, I am not disapointed, on the contrary, I’m in love! This is so good, simple and healthy (for a dessert!). Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. Angela, you’re my favourite chef and I talk about your recipes to… a lot of people! You’re amazing.

Katie July 6, 2016

I can’t stand tofu so I swapped the middle layer with this recipe and it was awesome! http://minimalistbaker.com/3-ingredient-peanut-butter-mousse/

Angela Liddon July 8, 2016

Thanks for sharing, Katie!

Heather Quier March 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

We made these last night. My daughter ate three and I ate the other two! They are delicious! Thank you for your wonderful recipes!

Angela Liddon March 4, 2016

Thanks, Heather. I’m so happy to hear you and your daughter enjoyed the recipe! :)

Jennifer January 3, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Just made these – I can’t explain how good they were … just awesome! As with all of your recipes, they are good for you and taste amazing. Thank you for sharing your great recipes!!

Kendra March 3, 2015

Has anyone tried using medium firm tofu instead of silken? I couldn’t find organic (my preference for soy products) silken.

Kat December 24, 2014

I just made these last night! Didn’t change a thing, and since i did it so late they are all in the freezer waiting to be christmas eve dessert. Although Im wondering if I should put them in the fridge a few hours before hand so they soften up a bit. Tops on or off? Thanks for the great recipes!

Heather C November 10, 2014

These don’t just look good, they are fantastic! Less than a 1/2 hour putting it together. I had to distract myself by mopping to leave them alone for chilling. It was a sweet reward for doing my chores though. Can’t wait to serve them to company.

I only had extra firm silken tofu, so I added some coconut milk with it to the blender. I dare anyone to tell it’s made with tofu. Creamy, Rich, Chocolate & PB. What could be better?

Sawa July 17, 2014

Aloha Angela
Should I have to press the water out from tofu before use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2014

Nope, no need :)

Nannyberry June 23, 2014

These were a big hit even for our friends who don’t normally eat these healthier versions of desserts! Love them & love the presentation in the jars!
Looking forward to making them again this time with the Pecan crust for my daughter who is following a gluten/soy free diet. Of course seeing your recipe for Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No-Bake Version, where I found your crust recipe, will be something I will also make for her since she is a chocoholic!
Love checking for other great recipes to try!

Deena Zaki June 4, 2014

Hi Angela,
I was wondering if I could freeze the peanut butter cups in a jar overnight rather than just for 30 minutes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2014

yes that should be fine!

Rashidah March 23, 2014

Tried it and I feel in love instantly…It’s so good!

Muse February 15, 2014

These look absolutely amazing! For about how long can we refrigerate it for? A few days?

Kristine February 9, 2014

We had family visiting this weekend, so made these as a special treat…without telling them about the tofu. Dessert was a smashing success!! They requested I make them again when we get together in April.

I think next time I won’t press the crust quite so firmly into the bottom of the jar because it was a small struggle to get it out. Be we poked and prodded until it softened up because we didn’t want to miss out on one sweet, creamy bite.

When I fessed up about the tofu, they didn’t care one bit because the result was so delicious.

Caterina January 17, 2014

I just made it and brought it to a dinner :) it was delicious!

Becky December 21, 2013

I like to make these in silicon muffin liners, then freeze them and eat them like ice cream sandwiches!!

Julia Kemp, RHN December 15, 2013

Hi Angela,
These look divine! Do you think the extras could be stored in the freezer until you’re ready to eat (maybe taking them out an hour or two before to thaw)?

All the best,
Julia

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hi Julia, I haven’t tried freezing them, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you try it, please let us know. Enjoy!

danielle November 21, 2013

Angela,

I just made these for a trial run for a friend’s giving I have this weekend. Came out great except when I melted the chocolate chips and tried to quickly spoon and twist the jars, the chocolate just stick to my spoon and not to the filling..any idea why? I want to be able to get it right for my dinner and that’s the best part! Oh and I used pb banana soft serve instead of tofu..tasted yummy just seeing how it does when it freezes, ill probably have to let it melt a little before serving or it will be icy

Molly Rammel August 21, 2013

Just tried this recipe and its delicious! definitely a keeper!

Nick August 16, 2013

Hey!! This looks delicious!! My favorite thing on the earth is the combo of chocolate and peanut butter–so you can imagine I’m practically salivating! Lol. But what’s is the calorie content for one of these?! Any round about figures for me? I’m on my own weight loss journey and love finding new recipes for all occasions to try out! Would be greatly appreciated!

–Nick
nickymags.tumblr.com

Jana Cervinka July 7, 2013

I have just finished making my second batch…these are incredible!!!! This time I added some small peanut bits into the base crust- can’t get enough of those peanuts! This makes going vegan easy – thank you! Your recipes and blog have helped me and my husband increase our vegan meal plans.

Jenna June 3, 2013

Made these a few weeks ago and they were to die for! I have just began my journey into clean eating and I was terrified at the idea of never eating a chocolate peanut butter cup again….these are even better! I froze a few, as I cant eat them all myself at once, but when I had one last night, either the crust or chocolate tasted funny….im wondering if its the coconut oil that doesn’t freeze well?

Linda April 11, 2013

Angela,
I LOVE this, but am wondering if you have nutritional content per serving? I am
hoping to serve this at a healthy dinner club but we need to be able to tally our
intake. Thanks for your inspiring website!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013

No Im sorry I don’t have it calculated yet. enjoy!

nicole March 22, 2013

that’s it. i’m stopping at the store on the way home and buying a food processor, graham crackers, and little jars. and then i’m making this.

and then i’m eating this.

i cannot wait.

Ingrid March 7, 2013

I made these yesterday and they were delicious! I made mine in ramekins instead because I don’t have the right size jars & omitted the topping for the benefit of my toddler but then she didn’t like it anyway, some people have no taste. :P

Nancy March 4, 2013

I don’t even eat sweets and I thought this was delicious!!! Everything I have made on this site is soooooooooooo good! You are a terrific cook. I just recently gave up meat. This site has been a God sent!!!
Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

Djm February 1, 2013

I love your blog! Especially the Canadian sources for stuff… These were delicious. Made them with cashew butter because my son is allergic to peanuts. I could have eaten the whole recipe myself but decided to share:)

Mary January 25, 2013

Wow, Angela!

I feel like I’m late to the party! I just saw this recipe in your top of 2012 and 15 minutes later I was scurrying to the grocery store for tofu.

Since I’m allergic to chocolate, I tweaked the recipe just a wee bit…cinnamon graham cracker base with a hint of agave, a teeny bit of cinnamon in the tofu pb mousse, and then a dollop of apple chia jam! Amazing!

Deb January 22, 2013

Umm… Thank you! We tried it tonight and the whole family went yum! 5 Stars from my daughter ;-) It reminded me of reese’s pieces except way tastier! I only made the filling with a few changes: 2 Tbsp powder sugar, ~ 2 Tbsp maple syrup, no milk to make up for the liquid sweetener. Excellent recipe and a perfect treat!

Archana January 15, 2013

Hi Angela,
I am so excited to make this recipe. I don’t have a scale to weigh the tofu. Silken tofu boxes usually come in 12oz sizes in the US. What do you think 200gm is the equivalent of in oz? I’m also thinking of doubling the recipe.
Thank you very much!
-Archana

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2013

200g is equal to 7.05 oz. hope this helps!

Archana January 16, 2013

Thank you so much! It does help.

Angela January 15, 2013

Wow! I am glad you posted this again in your yearly wrap up cause I missed it the first time. These look so dreamy! I just made some vegan peanut butter cups (like the candy) from scratch and have already finished most of them. This may have to help me wean off ;)

carolyn January 15, 2013

Has anyone tried freezng these? They look bomb and I plan on making them this weekend, but don’t need to eat all 5 in a row!!!!!

Kelly Giannelia January 14, 2013

Love the idea of these!! Just wondering if you have the caloric value for them?

Maddie January 14, 2013

I LOVE this recipe. I was skeptical about the silken tofu, but thought I’d give it a shot just as the recipe is written. WOWOWOW. This is most definitely on my “do again” list. And, the jars are so adorable, this would be the perfect thing to whip out of the fridge at a dinner party. (I’m not a great baker, so this is about as fancy as my desserts are gonna get!)

The only thing I wish I had done was put it in the fridge and not the freezer. My graham cracker crust and the chocolate on top were rock hard (and I only put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes after I drizzed the chocolate on top!) I think it would be delectable room temp or only slightly chilled.

Steanie December 19, 2012

I just finished making these for my Christmas party. The mini version I made for myself to taste test was really good. I cut the sugar in the filling by a little more than a half and substituted the tofu with some Tofutti cream cheese, because that’s what I had on hand. I assembled the peanut butter cups in two ounce shot glasses (a perfect serving size, in my opinion, considering how rich they are), and they will no doubt go quickly at the party. Thanks for the recipe!

Mischelle November 27, 2012

This look so good! Discovered this recipe featured in Shape magazine while searching for lunch & treat ideas for a bike camp. Definitely on the list of possibilities. I do have one question… would you have a recommendation for substitution for the silken tofu? I try to avoid soy products, where obvious… what about cashew cream?
I have found such inspiration from so many of your recipes (now, on Pinterest too)! Just delightful!
Mahalo nui loa!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012

Yes cashew cream might be able to work! Let me know if you try it out :)

Samantha September 15, 2012

They look so delicious! I am going to pick up some graham crackers next trip to the store and make this!!!

sarah September 11, 2012

Made this recipe yesterday-and its AMAZING! My husband who has the biggest sweet tooth loves them even more than me! I’m going to try substituting the PB with Tahini and adding some sugar/gluten free PB flavour and in my graham cracker crust (which i used coconut flour) I will add Chocolate flavour Stevia-that way I don’t have to add chocolate on the top. Then I can top it off with some raw crushed up nuts w/ a hint of Himalayan salt….make this a even more “guilt free” high protein dessert .
Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!!