Kitchen: Before and Afters

IMG 2811   Kitchen: Before and Afters

This weekend, we had just one goal:

Set up the new place.

…with the aid of a couple beverages. =)

IMG 8442   Kitchen: Before and Afters

First up, in today’s post: the kitchen pictures. If you recall, it looked like this last week:

IMG 26501   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Saturday morning, I got my organization on after a trip to Solutions – a huge home organization store similar to The Container Store in the US.

IMG 8326   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Eric took one look at my loot and laughed.

“Since when did you turn into an organizer?”

I tried to tell him with a straight face that I’ve always been organized, but I just couldn’t.

People can change!

I also couldn’t bring myself to take our old, gross plastic cutlery tray with us, so I took this opportunity to start fresh with a bamboo cutlery tray.

IMG 8330   Kitchen: Before and Afters

So easy…so rewarding…

IMG 8342   Kitchen: Before and Afters

IMG 8350   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Ugly, bagged spices now hide on the side of the fridge to free up a drawer:

IMG 8336 thumb   Kitchen: Before and Afters IMG 8360 thumb   Kitchen: Before and AftersIMG 8458   Kitchen: Before and Afters

What do we have here? St Patrick’s Day stickers, Valentine’s Day cupcake liners, candy molds, and onion goggles.

IMG 8346   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Sounds about right.

After:

IMG 8348   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Ok, I could probably do better than that…but I won’t.

Spice cabinet before:

IMG 83522   Kitchen: Before and Afters

and After…with mini turn tables for easier locating spices:

IMG 83751   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Thanks for the ideas on the turntables, by the way. Love them!

I put a shelf extender in the dish cabinet to fit an extra row of dishes. Now there is just enough space.

IMG 8361   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I also picked up this container to store my measuring cups and small kitchen things.

IMG 8450   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Yes, that’s a lot of measuring cups! You’d be surprised though…some days I easily dirty all of them.

Eric also had this great idea to store my “rarely used” dishes on top of the cabinets, saving me a ton of cabinet space. In addition to my casserole dishes, I put a wok, huge salad bowl, and empty mason jars on top.

IMG 8363   Kitchen: Before and Afters

You can see the storage in this photo below:

IMG 2812   Kitchen: Before and Afters

We also set up Grundtal Ikea shelves for my mason jar storage, so they didn’t have to be crammed in the cupboard anymore (thanks to Emily for the idea!!).

IMG 8549   Kitchen: Before and Afters

They come in 120 cm and 80 cm lengths and we opted for the 80cm. I grabbed matching hooks for the bottom so I could hang my apron and other things. Apparently, Eric is using it for his sunglasses and keys too….you’re on my turf, Liddon. ;)

IMG 8464   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I was so nervous that the shelves were going to break, but they are very sturdy. I just hope Sketchie doesn’t try to jump up…

Top shelf (left to right): Rolled oats, millet, walnuts, pecans, raw buckwheat groats, speltberries

Bottom shelf: Pearled barley, dried chickpeas, raw almonds, short grain brown rice, red lentils, raw cashews, and hemp seed.

IMG 8462   Kitchen: Before and Afters

I have a few more jars stored in the cupboard, but it has opened up a lot of cupboard space. Two thumbs up!

You know, initially I was worried about transitioning into a smaller kitchen (I was spoiled with the size and storage space in our old house), but with a few adjustments I’ve cozied right into this space and love it more each day.

I ended Day #1 with Sketchie cuddles on his favourite “blankie” (Eric’s sweater), and he was a happy cat once again.

IMG 2792   Kitchen: Before and Afters

Coming up: Living/dining area, laundry, and hallways.

Ali March 26, 2012

Wow, such great and simple solutions. Looks wonderful. I am such a sucker for around the house before and after posts. I always love watching HGTV (Home & Garden Television) for the makeover-type shows. Love everything you did, esp. the spice organizers, such a great idea! It’s funny how a little organization can go such a long way. Love the cozy feel of your place and look forward to seeing more before and afters! :)

Jen Doyle March 26, 2012

Where did you get those little spice turn tables??? Try little penguin for a delicious yet inexpensive white wine!

(ps, this post does not indicate it but I follow your blog daily, drink a green monster everyday, and talk about you and your recipes to everyone I meet!)

GOOD LUCK WITH THE MOVE AND UNPACKING! There is no rush, savour it and make it just the way you want it! XO

Kirstie March 27, 2012

Great job organizing the kitchen, Angela! It looks great, can’t wait to see the rest of the place xo

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama March 27, 2012

I love displaying my jars of dry goods. They really do make for pleasant eye candy and it’s a great way to remember what you have! I easily shove jars around in my pantry only finding I have 2-3 jars of lentils or rice hiding in the back…
Love the new place, Angela! Thank you for sharing!

Mel March 27, 2012

Ok, I give in. In your cupboard you have a blue flask, I can read the heart and at the end ‘ga’ – whats the rest of the word lol. The reason I ask is Im kinda a fantatic with them some of my own are a Jason Vale, A Little Miss Sunshine, a keep calm and carry on one etc.

Jen March 27, 2012

It looks like your new place is coming along really well. Congrats on getting organized, I know that can be tricky!

I just started following your blog after finding it through StumbleUpon and I really have been enjoying browsing through all your great recipes. I finally tried the carrot cake oatmeal tonight after having it bookmarked for a week and it was absolutely incredible. I’m looking forward to continue trying more of your recipes as I transition to a more healthy and plant-based diet :) Thanks for the inspiration and opening my eyes up to all kinds of interesting ingredients I’ve never even heard of before…like chia seeds, wheat berries, carob powder, and nutritional yeast to name a few. I am really excited to try ‘em all out! Keep up your great work, and I can’t wait for the cookbook to come out – you have one definite buyer here in Phoenix, Arizona!

Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

Thank you Jen, so glad you are enjoying the blog!

Kath March 27, 2012

It feels great to be organised, doesn’t it? Oh, and I see you like to drink our Aussie wines! :-)

Lotte March 27, 2012

Your cat is a Bengal cat isn’t it? I’ve got one too! They’re awesome cats. So playfull and sweet. Mine talks all day long. Wherever I am, I here the cat: ‘miauw miauw!
Your kitchen looks awesome. Good job! And Good luck unpacking and store the rest of your stuff.

sara March 27, 2012

I love the jars on the shelves as a little “display” in the kitchen. It looks cute and frees up space. I might need to “borrow” that plan. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 27, 2012

Your organized all nice! Love the magnets on the fridge!!

Anne @ZenandGenki.com March 27, 2012

Great job, Angela – it looks wonderful!

Joann@womaninreallife March 27, 2012

You have accomplished a lot! I love organizing tools. They make the work so much more fun.

Brittney March 27, 2012

I love your post. Good job with the organizing! I always feel great when I go clutter free and organize my cabinets.

Meg | One Love Meg March 27, 2012

The kitchen looks amazing! I love love love the spice magnets on the fridge. What a great idea and how convenient.

Aimee Lemieux March 27, 2012

Wow! Hurry up with that cookbook and then get started on a organizing/decorating book! Great job…makes me want to re-arrange my furniture and throw out my cuttlery holder!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

haha thanks for the chuckle! Glad you enjoy it

Willow March 27, 2012

Great job on organizing!! I’m still working on getting my kitchen in order… every time someone comes over they gawk at all the space and cabinetry, and I stand there going “I just don’t see it…” – ha! Never enough room. I should invest in some of those turn tables – those might help my situation! :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 27, 2012

Your organization is inspiring!! It makes me want to make over my whole kitchen!
I love little things like trays and lazy Susans to help store stuff. And I really like the idea of putting the rarely used stuff on top of the cabinets- i would have never thought of that- and it’s totally unused space in my kitchen!

Tina March 27, 2012

I’m so glad to learn I’m not the only one with “onion goggles”. I have to tell my family. : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2012

haha aren’t they great? Eric always dies laughing when he sees me with them on. I’m like WHAT? forgetting I even have them on.

Katie of Vegan Noms March 27, 2012

So very gorgeous! I feel silly – I haven’t been keeping up with your posts as often as I’d like – when did you guys move? And after installing that gorgeous deck last fall? (I still missed the final photos from that adventure!) The place looks positively wonderful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2012

heh you aren’t behind, we just moved last week :) Thanks for your kind words!

kath March 27, 2012

Me Love Organization.

Izzy March 28, 2012

I want to love those magnets, but I ended up throwing all mine away. They are not air tight. :-/ Course it just dawned on me that I could have at least left them in baggies in them, and it would still be better than my piles of bags of random herbs that end up all tasting the same because they are a little too cozy with each other….

Your kitchen is beautiful. :)

Kate March 28, 2012

Your kitchen looks fantastic! I’m moving in August and will definitely be stealing some of those ideas :)

What size are you mason jars on the top shelf? I can’t tell if they’re gallons half gallons, etc…

Katy March 28, 2012

Love love love this entry! I was organizing my kitchen too last night and this gave me lots of gret ideas.

Lacey March 28, 2012

I LOVE the spices on the fridge idea!! I’ll have to try that sometime :)

Kitty March 30, 2012

Wow, it all looks great. But….onion goggles? Are those a real thing? :-D

Love the pic of happy Sketchie too. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012

yessss and they rule

Elizabeth March 31, 2012

After seeing this post I ran to Ikea as fast as I could and grabbed 2 of the those shelves, a pack of hooks, and 3 little basket/pots to hang. I gathered up a mass of glass jars and I now have the most beautiful addition to my breakfast room. I had been meaning to fill a certain space and this was the perfect idea. Thank you so much! It was a fun, easy project! Also – my first trip to Ikea. I had my 2 and 3 year old with me and although it was an adventure, I’ll get a sitter next time. :)

Case Mccarley April 19, 2012

I am so grateful for your article post.Much thanks again.

chris chavez March 4, 2013

you are a lot more energetic than me, so you might not have this problem. but i found that i don’t get to the top of my cabinets as much as i’d like, so the dust collects. i put newspapers underneath my bowls and other things on top of my cabinets and when i finally get to cleaning all i have to do is pull up the papers and dust off the things on top. cuts cleaning time!

Page 3 of 3«123