We’re Moving: Part II

IMG_2694

This is the 18th time I’ve moved in 28 years.

[Thanks to my mom and Kristi for counting our moves last night!]

Among those 18 moves, I lived New Brunswick, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, and Ontario. We moved a lot when I was growing up because of my dad’s various sales jobs, so moving really isn’t that big of a deal to me. Don’t get me wrong, the actual moving part is super stressful (especially when staging and selling a house for 6 months), but once I’m finally unpacking in the new place, it’s a big sigh of relief. I love a fresh start and a new city to explore. It also helps that we moved less than an hour away because we still have friends and family nearby (and most are closer now which is nice). Moving across country is a whole other ball game, so I won’t even pretend that this is comparable.

Before Eric and I met, he moved just 1 time! He was born in Calgary, Alberta and he moved into our old house shortly after birth. When we first met, I couldn’t believe that he lived in the same house for 18 years. It’s a foreign concept for me to be in a place for that long. Since we met, he’s moved 5 times, however, 3 out of 5 moves were university related so surely I can’t be the one to blame. ;)

I thought this move was going to be tough on him, but it hasn’t seemed to phase him in the least. Instead it was me getting teary-eyed yesterday (especially when I said goodbye to my two garden beds with tiny sprouts coming up), but Eric quickly reminded me this wasn’t the final goodbye…

“You know we’re coming back Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night to clean and move things for donation, right?”

I guess I will have another chance for my goodbyes a few more times!

In the meantime, here are more pictures from the weekend. Remember when I said that things were moving along quickly and going faster than I expected? Well, scratch that. Moving day, quickly turned into moving day #1 and #2 and I don’t think the boxes will be unpacked for at least a week or two. All in due time, though.

On Thursday and Friday, I went to the new place to clean and move boxes in. The cable/internet guy also came and hooked us up. Our internet is about 10 times faster in the new place…a nice bonus of living in a city.

I had a cleaning + TLC wedding marathon until about 11pm Friday night. Good times!

IMG_2660

This kitchen is where most of my cookbook will be created! It’s a tight space for cupboard storage (I’m going to need your help with storage ideas at some point!), but so far I like the work space. There is a lot less walking back and forth compared to my old kitchen. I also enjoy the floors. We had slate floors in the old place and they gave me a ton of heel pain standing on them for hours a day, not to mention they were horrible to keep clean.

IMG_2629

I packed up the old fridge and unloaded it into the new one.

IMG_2709

and cleaned all the baseboards, bathrooms, and floors.

IMG_2681

This is what it looked like on Saturday:

IMG_2695

and this is what it looked like over 24 hours later:

IMG_2713

I surely hope you weren’t expecting it to be organized and set up! We’re waiting on a few pieces of furniture to arrive on Friday, so it’s a bit hard to unpack until those are set up.

IMG_2697

We’re turning the second bedroom into a shared office. I’m using this fold up table for a desk until we purchase new ones.

IMG_2699

Our bed got assembled…

IMG_2688

and we all resisted the urge to face plant into the bed and sleep for the next 543 hours.

IMG_2701

After a second day of moving, Eric, Sketchie, and I cuddled up with a cereal and some Frozen Planet on Discovery Channel last night.

IMG_2724

Anyone catch Frozen Planet last night? Incredible! We love the Planet Earth series and this one is great too. We couldn’t keep our eyes open past 10pm, so I recorded it for later.

IMG_2727

By the way, many of you asked about all the DELL boxes! Both Eric and my brother-in-law Dave work in the IT field, so they have access to computer boxes that would’ve otherwise been recycled. They make pretty sweet moving boxes, I must say!

I must also say that this reader email gave me a bit of a chuckle last night…

C wrote, “Thanks for sharing, I love all the Dell boxes…after all the Apple hype…I had a good laugh.”

heheh…

Page 2 of 2«12
Jamie June 25, 2015

Wow, that’s such a great change! I will be moving in two months and I’m already stressed out, I hope it will worth it. Btw, your house looks soo beautiful, thumbs up from me!

Kate March 26, 2012

Did you just move to Oakville? That’s where i live. If so, Welcome! Love your site – best wishes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2012

Yes I did thanks for the warm welcome!

Andrea M. March 26, 2012

Very beautiful house Angela. Well, the unpacking thing is really the hardest part when moving in. Check out some Lifestyle TV series to help you out with the beautification of your home. There’s a lot at TLC.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 22, 2012

Dell boxes? I was too focused on the pampers boxes, I guess ;)

Betty March 21, 2012

Hi! Congrats on the move! I saw that you mentioned you had heel pains from standing all day in the kitchen. Have you considered getting an anti-fatigue mat? I got one when I converted to a standing desk and it made all of my heel pain go away. The mats are pricey but the one I got from home depot wasn’t that expensive and it has been great. Anyways, congrats on the move. Love your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2012

Yes, I do have one from costco actually! It’s great, but I move around a lot in the kitchen…maybe not as much in my smaller one though!

mia d March 21, 2012

Congrats on your new move!!! I love starting fresh too!!

I live in Wilmington, NC… where in NC did you live?!

My sister introduced me to your blog…I love it! Thanks for sharing so many of your ideas and thoughts – it’s amazing to read|learn about FOOD in this way. I’ve needed a way to make food something that empowers me and my family instead of being a major stressor (what can I make for dinner that everyone will like that is healthy but delicious too?? That’s the major question each day that I’d love to avoid!).. Anyhow… you’ve provided so many with a fresh, new perspective. Now I need to figure out how to stay organized w/ all of the printing from your blog!!!

One of my bestest friend’s friend uses Amazing Grass too. We compared it to Juice Plus+ Complete just to see which is healthier..you will love the ingredient list of JP+ if you haven’t already seen it.. Just thought I’d share something back if I could :) You can peek at my http://miadjuiceplus.com/ if you’d like to see more info on it!! Or I can email ya too.

OK – thanks again for all you share. Have a wonderful morning.. I just printed off the vegan overnight oats – can’t wait to try it!!

mia d

Willow March 21, 2012

Haha – I hadn’t even noticed all the computer boxes, but now that you mention it that would’ve seemed odd.

The new space looks beautiful! Lots of natural light it looks like, too. *Jealous*

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy March 20, 2012

Congrats on the big move! Whew, definitely not easy to do when you have an entire house worth of stuff. Happy transition!

Tonya March 20, 2012

haha is that a picture of Dayana the Egyptian wedding themed bride from Four Weddings? LOL she got LAST place after all confident smack talk! LOL

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2012

yes I believe it was! lol

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 20, 2012

how exciting! It’s going to look amazing I know :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 20, 2012

Your kitchen isn’t to small, it’s very nice and clean, love the fridge!!! Have fun with moving and the unpacking! blah! I moved across the US 3 times and it sucks! But I finally found home here in California. Have a great day!!

Catherine March 20, 2012

I love your idea for cleaning the baseboards! Mine always get so dusty, I’m going to have to try that out :)

Katie March 20, 2012

Anglea, I’ve moved a bunch of times in my life, but definitely less than 18! The biggest move was from Vancouver to Stockholm, Sweden, where I now live. Next month I’m flying back to Vancouver to help my parents pack up their house – a house my dad has now lived in for 66 years. Yes, SIXTY-SIX years! He bought the house from his parents when they retired and made a permanent move to their summer home on the Sunshine Coast of BC. Now, my parents are making the same move (they built a fabulous new house on the same property on the coast). Vancouver real estate prices being what they are, none of us kids can afford to take over the house, so our family is finally saying goodbye to it. I’m thinking it’s going to be one crazy packing job!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 20, 2012

Hope that you guys will be enjoying the comfort of your new home soon!

Natasha March 19, 2012

looks like the apartment is coming along nicely!

Shari March 19, 2012

Congratulations on your move! It’s always very exciting to start over isn’t it? I was wondering, what is the thing you were using on your baseboards? I detest cleaning those but that looks like it might be fun. Thanks!

laurenmadis0n March 19, 2012

I can’t believe you’re living in my home town! Oh how I miss Organic Garage while I’m at university. If I’m home for the summer, I might bump into you there at some point! Growing up in Oakville was so lovely, especially being near Bronte Harbour, in my case. And downtown Oakville is gorgeous, especially in the summer. I hope you enjoy the new location. (:

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2012

So neat that this is your hometown…love it here. Maybe we can meet up sometime!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 19, 2012

Congrats!!

Kat March 19, 2012

Your new kitchen looks amazing. It’s so important to have a nice space to work in (especially for your book!!) We watched Frozen Planet too last night and absolutely loved it, can’t wait for more :)

Ruth March 19, 2012

I don’t envy you at all with the moving…I hope to stay **here** for a while after a similar series of moves one-after-the-other. You’ve got the Dell boxes right, though – they’re AWESOME for moving!!

I wanted to let you know that I am SO EXCITED for your cookbook! Tonight I made your Vegetable & Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce…sooooo good! My husband told me when he was finished, “It’s good – I didn’t even add extra cheese,” (which he does for basically anything that involves pasta) so apparently he thought it was cheesy. I told him that everything I’ve cooked by the recipe author we both have loved. It’s true. THANK YOU!!

Catherine March 19, 2012

Congratulations! And good luck with the rest of the move. It’s never easy. But it can be very exciting, too. I know what you mean about standing around in the kitchen. And you must spend tons of hours doing so! You might want to consider buying those chef’s mats. I get back pain easily, and it has changed my life in the kitchen! Bulk stores like Costco sell them, too.

steph@ lungesandlunch March 19, 2012

I’m excited for you, but man oh man did I love your house!

Amanda March 19, 2012

Soooo happy for you two!! What an exciting adventure. Thank you for continuing to make time to blog. I know I appreciate it!

Laura March 19, 2012

love the kitchen!

DBF and I are looking to move to oakville too soon! We are aiming to split our commute w/ him in the GTA and me in cambridge. I don’t mind moving – the trouble is finding a place that is nice and without sleezy landlords!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 19, 2012

I love the look of your new kitchen! Stainless steel appliances make it look so sleek and modern! :)

Kamaile March 19, 2012

Love the new place and all the natural light. Sketchie looks lost :-( but I’m sure he will be very happy with the big windows to look out of.

Jennifer March 19, 2012

How exciting!
How is the kitty handling the move? I’ve never moved my 8-year-old cat, and I’m curious how she will react when it does happen. Did he hide? Or was he curious and chillax about everything?

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air March 19, 2012

That is a CRAZY amount of times to move!! Until I left for college, I had lived in the same house for 18 years. And my parents still live there!

janetha @ meals & moves March 19, 2012

It must be bittersweet to move–I remember following all your renovations! But it will be nice to not have such a commute and have a happier home :)

SaraRM March 19, 2012

Love that zebra print! Where is it from?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2012

Ikea I believe :) We bought it when we were staging

Gabrielle March 19, 2012

I watched Frozen Planet too! Absolutely mind blowing! I loved it. And congrats on your progress with the move, things seem to be coming along quite nicely!

Taylor @ Nuts for Apples March 19, 2012

Good luck finishing up moving! Moving is so stressful, I’ll be moving from Ohio to Texas soon, so far! The distance to travel & move everything is so stressful to think about!

danica March 19, 2012

Ohhh the joys of moving!!! I feel your pain, we are currently in the middle of a big move as well. Thought I would do something fun and blog about it http://countrychicrenovator.blogspot.ca/…I’ve moved many times before as well but this one is definitely the most emotional!

ps..thanks for keeping the recipes coming while you are moving!!! :)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 19, 2012

Good luck! Moving can be tough, but it is also so exciting! Wow, 18 moves is a lot. Hope you can settle soon. :)

Amanda March 19, 2012

Moving is exhausting. >_>

Your kitchen is cute, your house kinda looks like a ski lodge.

Kathryn March 19, 2012

Beautiful place! We had all HP boxes – hubby is a computer guy :)

Tash (dairy free chick) March 19, 2012

Your new home looks like it has tons of natural light! I love the wood floors. Storage-wise, the ultimate solution is always either Container Store or Ikea :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 19, 2012

I create all my magic (or lack of magic) in a kitchen that’s even smaller than that one. Urban kitchen so very, very little space for storage (can’t wait to see what tips/tricks you come up with..I have resorted to storing my juicer in my hall closet type thing…LOL) but I agree, not having to walk back and forth and wasted space is key. AND what GREAT LIGHT!!

Lighting trumps size any.day. :)

Cait's Plate March 19, 2012

I LOVE the new kitchen!! Moving is always bittersweet – it’s exciting to get into a new place but you definitely feel like you’re leaving memories behind in the old one! Here’s to hoping your new home brings you nothing but happiness! :)