Easy Lemon Dill Tofu

IMG_8175

I really can’t believe that I went all these years without tofu in my life.

I was under the impression that tofu gave me horrible stomach pains whenever I ate it, so that was the main reason for avoiding it. I recently discovered it doesn’t seem to bother my stomach like I thought. When you have IBS, it can be extremely difficult to pinpoint which stomach issues are food related and which are anxiety/stress related.

I left you guys hanging after my first visit with the Naturopath, but there wasn’t a lot to report. I only went for two visits. The doctor went over my medical history and food intake and also did allergy testing. When I showed him my food diary, he took one look at it and guessed that all the tannins in the green tea I was drinking (often 2 huge strong pots a day…!) were probably irritating my stomach lining. My allergy tests came back negative thankfully. The other piece of the puzzle would be to manage my IBS by continuing to work on my anxiety.

IMG_5221

I thought he was insane for suggesting that my green tea could be a problem for my stomach, but I figured it was worth a shot. I reduced my green tea consumption to just 0-1 cup a day to see if it made a difference. Wouldn’t you know it, my stomach pains reduced by about 50% almost immediately. I’m sure there was also a little placebo effect going on, but after reading up on tannins and stomach issues, I do believe there is truth to it. I have a cup in the morning, but I don’t overdo it anymore. I’ve brought back the water in my life, which was needed. Something so simple, made such a huge difference in how I feel.

But, back to the tofu.

I’ll admit, I was also scared of tofu…a lot. First impressions are everything and the big white hunk floating in murky water just didn’t scream “eat me”. I had to figure out what the heck to do with it first.

One of my favourite ways to prepare tofu is just a simple pan fry. After pressing the tofu for about 25 minutes to drain out the water (this results in a firmer tofu), I preheat a large skillet with 1 tsp of cooking oil and then chop the tofu into small squares. Then I cook the tofu for about 6 minutes on high heat, flip, and cook for another 6-8 minutes or so, reducing the heat if necessary. This method results in golden tofu with a nice crispy exterior.

IMG_7904-2

Sometimes, all I do is add a bit of ketchup and enjoy it as is or I marinate it first with a bit of apple cider vinegar & tamari.

My other favourite way is to turn it into Crispy Tofu Strips! You must try these if you haven’t. Eric said he would happily give up regular chicken strips for these bad boys.

IMG_6301

Other times, I like to get creative with sauces…like this incredible lemon dill sauce. If you adore my lightened up lemon tahini sauce…and the lemon dill spin-off…you’ll love this super lightened up version. It packs in 3/4 cup of fresh dill and has just a touch of tahini and oil in it. While the tofu is cooking, just whip the dressing up in processor and you’re good to go.

Do I even have to tell you that I used my mini processor again? Gah, I love that thing.

IMG_8180

Maybe you’d like a gigantic tripod leg with your tofu, perhaps?

IMG_8179

Sometimes a close up shot is all you need. That’s what I told myself anyways.

IMG_8182

Easy Lemon Dill Tofu

Vegan, gluten-free

By

4 from 1 reviews

White, wintery looking tofu is now dressed up in greens for the spring.

Yield
2 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the tofu
  • 1 package extra-firm non-gmo tofu, drained, rinsed, and pressed
  • 1 tsp cooking oil (I like to use safflower oil as it has a high smoke point)
For the dressing
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1 tbsp dill pickle juice (or water)
  • 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup fresh dill weed, large stems removed & roughly chopped
  • Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Rinse and press the tofu for about 25 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the lemon dill dressing in a processor. My mini processor worked well for this (just call me a broken record).
  3. Preheat a large skillet over high heat and add a teaspoon of oil. Meanwhile, chop up the tofu into small, thin squares.
  4. When the skillet is HOT (the tofu should sizzle when placed on it), add the tofu (being careful not to let the pieces touch too much or they will stick) and cook on high heat for 6 minutes or so, flip, and cook for another 6-8 minutes, reducing heat if necessary to avoid burning.
  5. When tofu is golden brown on each side, remove from heat. Pour dressing into a medium-sized bowl and add the cooked tofu and stir well until coated. Serve immediately on its own, in a wrap, on a salad, or over grains and vegetables.

Tips:

I’m in love with this lemon dill dressing. Who knew you could pack in 3/4 cup of greens into a dressing?

IMG_8172

The clean up was also minimal.

But first, I devoured this tofu.

IMG_8177

Feel free to enjoy this in a wrap, on a salad, over a bed of grains and vegetables, or on its own like I did. Maybe next time I’ll have a bit more restraint to prepare a full meal with it…

1 Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 14, 2012

please talk my aunt into eating more tofu? perhaps if I make this for her, it would convince her!

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 14, 2012

Yumm! I’m not even vegan or veggie, but I’ll gladly eat tofu and tempeh any day!! Lemon and dill is such an awesome combo, especially for this time of year. I’m glad you’ve been able to at least somewhat identify what was causing some of your stomach pain. I would have never thought it’d be green tea!!

3 Siri @ The Herbivoress March 14, 2012

I believe I’ve found my lunch for the rest of the week! This looks amazing! And I think I have the same mini processor as you… it is a lifesaver!

4 Sera March 14, 2012

Yay tofu! :D Scrambled tofu is great as well – just had some for breakfast this morning with Linwoods brazil nuts/almonds/flaxseed mix. Yum.

5 Lisa March 14, 2012

How long will this keep? I’m the only one that would eat it..Thanks for all the great recipes.

Do you do yoga or meditate for your anxiety? I use to have severe panic attacks and now just the normal everyday anxieties…

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

I find yoga helps a lot. Right now Im just doing it at home, but I want to get back into the studio once a week.

7 Angela March 14, 2012

I’d say it keeps for a couple days, but it’s best enjoyed immediately as it softens with time.

8 Ashley March 14, 2012

Chris and I love tofu! It’s on the menu about once a week over here and surprisingly doesn’t give me stomach issues. Same thing with tempeh. I found a sprouted, organic, non-GMO brand [of tofu] that I love! Current favorite combo: maple syrup, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cayenne, rice vinegar

9 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 14, 2012

This looks great! I have never made tofu myself, have only eaten it out, but this looks like a great recipe to try!

10 Faith @ For the Health of It March 14, 2012

So glad you can start re-introducing the wonderfulness that is tofu! Fresh dill has to be the best spice ever, so I can only imagine what it would do to tofu…oh boy!

11 Tracy March 14, 2012

I love fresh dill and I can’t wait to try this recipe! During the summer months we have neighbors who grow dill (as well as rosemary and thyme), its great picking off what I need when I need it.

12 char eats greens March 14, 2012

Um, yum!!! I’m glad tofu is in your life now because I love it (but yes, I agree with what it looks like before you prepare it!). This sounds so fantastic and you just twisted my arm to make me get out my mini-processor :P

13 Cait's Plate March 14, 2012

Mmm I never would’ve thought to prepare my tofu that way but I LOVE the idea!

14 Greta @ Staying Lost March 14, 2012

I love tofu, so I’m so happy to see you introducing it in your recipes now! I love how fresh and vibrant the dill looks in the dressing.

15 Nobody March 14, 2012

i absolutely ADORED the crispy tofu strips, and can’t wait to try this recipe too!

16 Angela March 14, 2012

Glad to hear that!

17 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 14, 2012

Why don’t I use dill more?! I love how refreshing it is in lemon-y mixes. Great idea to use pickle juice too! Yum!

My go-to for tofu lately has been baking it – it makes it really fluffy inside. Almost marshmallow-like.

18 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 14, 2012

This recipe has perfect timing because I just bought some dill and tofu yesterday. I absolutely love dill and to me it has summer written all over it. I have IBS too and it’s a precarious situation trying not to upset it. I’ve found that drinking more water, taking a probiotic, and working on my anxiety helps because I also have an anxiety disorder. It’s amazing how much our emotions impact our physical body. Thanks for the recipe and glad to hear you are doing better!

19 katie@ KatieDid March 14, 2012

Not a fan of tofu but really love the sound of the dill dressing I have to say! But really anything with tahini gets me!

20 jaimie March 14, 2012

i get terrible stomach pains from green tea too! i guess too much of anything – even good things – is not good. haha if that sentence made sense? however, i have to admit, i use the sensitivity to too much green tea as an excuse to not kick the coffee habit – not good!

21 Angela March 14, 2012

It’s so true…too much of anything is not good. In the summer I was trying to eat up all my garden kale and I overdid it one week…I had bloating, cramps, you name it.

22 Yellow Haired Girl March 14, 2012

I love this! I just started experimenting with tofu last week, and I’m definitely realizing there’s far more options than I thought!

23 Jessica March 14, 2012

Hey!
So I have ibs and anxiety as well… And while it’s no fun I have 100% gone off my anxiety pills since sisu sent me their stress rescue pills. I never ever would have believed it!

They are all natural and work amazing which of course has helped with the ibs too since they are so connected!

Thought I should let ya know! I think everyone should know about them!
Ps this tofu sounds food! I love it smothered in mmmm sauce!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

Do you have a link to them? I’d like to check them out.

25 Kay March 14, 2012

I love that you’re adding tofu to the repertoire. Ive also always loved your blog for
The un- tofu vegan adventures. You make magic with so many non traditional vegan ingredients.
Also, I didn’t Know you had IBS. I think I do too, chronic constipation and major upset with dairy. How did you determine the major causes of your symptoms?

26 Shana March 16, 2012

It amazes me how many people have digestive issues these days. I also have the IBS you are describing and have (so far) had good success with psyllium fiber. You can buy it at any health food store (I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe). It’s basically pure fiber that works by gathering up the extra water in your intestines and acts as a bulk forming agent to make it easier to go. There is some evidence that it may be helpful for diarrhea but is especially helpful for constipation. It is the same ingredient that is in Metamucil but without all the chemical additives and nastiness. I have tried EVERYTHING and I am having the best results with this. Good luck!!!

27 Nini March 14, 2012

Hey,

Using less Tofu in your recipes is what I loved about your blog. I think this one looks good and certainly will taste good. But hopefully you’re not putting tofu in every recipe now, like most other vegan-food-blogs and cookbooks do.

please keep on showing the whole variety of vegan food! thanks a lot for your creative ideas!

greets from germany

Nini

28 Abby @ Fig & Fork March 14, 2012

I love how versatile tofu is! Lately I’ve been pan-searing tofu in a dry skillet and am loving how nicely it crisps up without oil. I’m excited to give this recipe a try…hello spring-like flavors!

29 Angela March 14, 2012

I’ll have to try that!

30 Laura March 14, 2012

I’ll be curious to hear how this goes… I can’t seem to do the tofu-fry thing without oil – it sticks terribly… so keep posted!

31 Ang W March 14, 2012

Hmmm. You know Ange, I think you’ve actually convinced me to give tofu a go. I’ve always avoided it quite purposefully after a few soggy, tasteless tofu experiences. But these two tofu recipes have me planning to stop on the way home to pick some up for dinner! Thanks :)

32 Angela March 14, 2012

I suggest trying the tofu strips (I just typed chicken strips…lol) first! Its a crowd pleaser. Also be sure to get extra firm.

33 Ang W March 14, 2012

Thanks for the tips! I told a friend I wanted to make them today, and I accidentally called them chicken strips too hehe :)

34 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 14, 2012

I was planning on making your crispy tofu strips for dinner tonight but this recipe looks great too!!

35 Becca March 14, 2012

I am currently studying Naturopathic Medicine. NDs sure have a knack at identifying even the oddest food trigger! Would you say your experience with the ND was a positive one?

36 Angela March 14, 2012

Yea, he was great. Who knows how long I would’ve gone on not knowing what was causing the issue. Good luck with your studies!

37 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 14, 2012

Yay for spring flavors! When tofu is dressed up enough I’m a fan, but any resemblance of mushy miso soup type of tofu and I run away quickly.

38 Kale Crusaders March 14, 2012

Mini food processors are the so handy! This recipe will be awesome for those times that I inevitably have a whole bunch of leftover dill sitting in my fridge.

39 brooke March 14, 2012

i am a new follower of your blog and I love it! As someone who also struggles with IBS I have a life altering suggestion to help with IBS. Acupuncture! It is a miracle because after about 8months of sessions I was cured. Yes, completly free of IBS. Now 5 years later still no signs or symptoms (and I am still a stressed out person!) Hope you can look more into this, honestly a miracle!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

Thats great Brooke, so glad you found relief. :) I’ve heard great things about acupuncture.

41 Beth March 14, 2012

Thanks for the update on the naturopath. Aren’t you relieved it was something simple?

And the tofu recipes look great! I feel like there are only so many ways to prepare it, but this gives me two new ideas! Thanks!

42 Kristi March 14, 2012

This looks so lovely and springy! I always am throwing away massive amounts of dill from our CSA because we get so much, so I will save this to try!

Ah, the joys of IBS… co-sufferer here.

43 Katie @ Creature of Habit March 14, 2012

I will definitely have to try this. While pan fried tofu is still my favorite, I’m trying to find other ways of cooking it that I enjoy just for some variety. I made the crispy strips but I think I may have been too heavy-handed with the breaking because they ended up having too much excess dried flour. But a sauce sounds right up my alley!

44 Angela March 14, 2012

Hey Katie, Do you mean the tofu strips had too much flour in them- and not enough breadcrumbs or cornmeal? I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “they ended up having too much excess dried flour”. Let me know…maybe I can take another look at the recipe! :)

45 lynn March 14, 2012

i too have ibs and have for years… i can NOT drink green tea at all so have switched back to good old black tea and only 2 a day… green is so hard on my stomach….

recipe looks great… as usual!

46 Janet March 14, 2012

I just bought some tofu this weekend to give it another try since my previous experiences have been busts all the way around. I love tofu…when I don’t have to fix it myself. I’m looking forward to giving this a try.

47 Lindsey March 14, 2012

Hi Angela- I really adore your blog and recipes. So, I believe that some people have a sensitivity to the whatever is in green tea- I know its so good for you but it makes me feel super sick and queasy after I drink it. I found that drinking it after food- like breakfast or lunch with a touch of non-dairy milk- like coconut or almond milk really helps ease the queasiness.

48 Angela March 14, 2012

I cannot drink it on an empty stomach either! I honestly feel like I will hurl…

49 Michelle March 14, 2012

This is also one of my FAVE ways to make tofu! I just love the crispiness. I prefer mustard before ketchup. Sometimes I’ll mix some dijon with regular mustard and the teeeeniest drop of tamari for a sauce. But your lemon dill sounds WAY BETTER! I know what I’M having for dinner tonight! WIth asparagus? Mmmmm, yes please!

50 Carly March 14, 2012

Angela, I’m glad you’re feeling better! That is so interesting what the naturopath said about green tea! I used to get terrible stomach pains from green tea and was in denial it could be from that. GREEN TEA?! Then one day I had an extra large green tea from Tim Hortons and I had the worst stomach pains for almost 24 hours. It was quite unbelievable. Spinach does the same thing to me – and I miss it so much! Whenever I tell people I can’t eat spinach or drink green tea they look at me like I’m crazy.

I love tofu and tempeh as well. I do admit though I feel guilty eating it because of the whole “soy is bad for you” movement. Do you have any opinions on this?

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

I enjoy it in moderation…about once a week or so. The research is still on both sides right now too.

52 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 14, 2012

Your tofu recipes really make me want to try it again. I’m going to have to bite the bullet next grocery trip and bookmark this.

53 Krysta March 14, 2012

This looks excellent!!

54 Averie @ Averie Cooks March 14, 2012

Your sauce looks and sounds incredible and I love how crispy your tofu looks. I used to pan-sear/pan-fry it like you do; then about 3 years ago I switched to the high heat baking method. 425-450F ish. Lower baking temps, i.e. 350 to 400 just result in burnt yet mushy tofu for me. I find the high heat for shorter duration does the trick but now you have me wanting to panfy it again…Can you tell I like to overthink the food science details? lol

Your pics are gorgeous!

55 Angela March 14, 2012

Hmm interesting, I’ll have to try that out!

56 Shana March 16, 2012

I also love it baked at 425! The texture is almost eggy but is perfect on sandwiches or adding to salads. I hate mushy tofu!

57 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 14, 2012

I’m so mad that I have tofu marinating in a peanut sauce as we speak! I wish I had seen this post yesterday (or could have seen into the future, I guess!). I will have to try this one out in the future. (and the crispy tofu strips!!)
I get weird stomach issues too at times, but I’m pretty sure that it’s because of periods of too much anxiety and stress. I would have never thought that Green Tea would be a cause!

58 Beckie Sommerville March 14, 2012

I have yet to try tofu on my new healthy eating plan. I have a question though…..Isn’t tofu a GMO product being that it is made of soy? I have been going out of my way to avoid all GMO’s which is not an easy task. Just wondering your thoughts. I recently read an article by a Botany Professor from Purdue that discusses how GMO food actually kills our healthy intestinal flora.

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

I buy non-gmo organic tofu.

60 Angela March 14, 2012

oops and I meant to say that yes GMO’s are in soooo much! It’s scary. First learned about them when watching Food Inc.

61 Rachael @ FreshlyMinted March 14, 2012

I’m slowly working more tofu in our routine – Thank goodness for your crispy strips recipe, or I never would have sold my husband on the idea :)

Love those springy colors, too!

62 Melanie Landman March 14, 2012

I love tofu and that recipe looks great. Interesting about your green tea problems. I do sometimes drink it but never on an empty stomach as it makes me feel ill. Black tea doesn’t have the same effect. Mxxx

63 Willow March 14, 2012

Yum! That dressing sounds great! I, too, love to crisp tofu in a skillet and eat it very simply, but this looks just as tasty. I don’t eat it often, but I may have to give your dressing a try when I do. :D

And how strange, that tea was causing such problems! Wha’, little ol’ tea? I was just thinking that I don’t drink *enough* tea every day, but I guess I should be careful not to go overboard.
Glad you’re feeling better, anyway!

64 Carolina March 14, 2012

Hey Angela,
Why don’t you try stopping drinking green tea altogether? Since you have cut your consumption of it by half, and your stomach pains have reduced by half….I would think that if you cut it out 100%, so will your stomach pains be cut out? There are lots of different teas that you can try, to replace it. And most of them taste better than green tea! :) ( I think so anyway)

65 Angela March 14, 2012

I’d say I cut my consumption by about 85% or so cuz I was drinking at least 8 cups of strong green tea a day. Some days I go without it and some mornings I have a cup…I haven’t noticed any pains with 1 weaker cup of green tea. I also love herbal tea now and often drink that sometimes too. Lots of water though!

66 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 14, 2012

I always use lemon and dill together as a seasoning for fish…but I am sure it is delicious on Tofu!! Can’t wait to try this out!

67 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 14, 2012

Lemon dill is such a refreshing flavor combo! Beautiful dish Angela :)

68 Deirdre March 14, 2012

The recipe looks so fresh and vibrant. I hope your stomach issues improve!

69 Jenny March 14, 2012

Lemon and dill are a match made in heaven.

70 ellbeecee March 14, 2012

My favorite tofu used to begin with pan frying, but it’s become this: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishes/r/bakedtofu.htm – with variations to the marinade depending on what I have/what I feel like. Lately it’s been an orange-garlic-ginger based marinade. The texture change with the slow baking in this recipe is awesome. It feels heartier, and as a non-vegetarian, it works well for me.

71 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 14, 2012

This looks fantastic!! I love tofu! I’m eating some now, actually :D

72 Sarah March 14, 2012

I’ve had the same reaction to coffee… which doesn’t have any tannins, but it is an irritant. Any more than two cups (about 16 oz) a day and it is not a good time.

73 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 14, 2012

I know what you mean about the IBS. Right now I think I can’t handle tempeh, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

74 Angela March 14, 2012

It messes with your mind right?

75 Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 14, 2012

I looove dill, but never thought about adding it to tofu… Thanks for a brilliant idea!

76 Ellie March 14, 2012

OKAY so THIS tofu recipe looks great. I too have IBS and have been avoinding tofu- (also because i’ve been slightly intimidated by the preperation)… I’ll have to try this though! I know that tempeh definitely irritates my stomach, but I’m still not too sure about tofu! Going to do a little test!
Thanks for the post!

77 Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 14, 2012

I’ve never paired dill with tofu. Looks so fragrant and refreshing!

78 K March 14, 2012

Crispy tofu looks great!! Tofu is a nice occasional treat. Too processed for it to be part of my regular diet- ick!

79 Jacqueline@digintobooks March 14, 2012

My mouth is watering this looks SO good! I LOVE tofu in any form and this pile of it on a plate looks like the perfect dinner to me! Love the recipe! Thanks! :)

80 Lauren@LittleYellowkitchen March 14, 2012

This is my dinner tonight – atop quinoa! It looks absolutely amazinggg.

81 Suzanne H March 14, 2012

I used to have IBS, but I’ve managed to get rid of it even though my anxiety’s still around. It took going grain, dairy, and legume free (eating a strict Paleo diet). I eat meat though, so I don’t know how you’d manage that on a vegan diet.

82 AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 14, 2012

Your lemon dill sauce reminds me of one that I used to put on salmon…when I had salmon that is :) Of course, yours is so much healthier! I am going to try it on a salad, I think :)

83 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 14, 2012

this looks fantastic! Love the green colour for spring :)

84 Brittney March 14, 2012

I’m not a huge fan of tofu but you make it look so delicious!

For your IBS, have you tried drinking decaffeinated teas instead of green tea? I am a Dietetic Tech Intern and would be glad to help you with any questions you may have. Are you drinking 6-8 cups of water per day as well as consuming enough fiber? Try to slowly increase fiber to 25 g to 35 g per day as tolerated.

I hope you feel better! Let me know if I can answer any diet questions you may have.

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

I’m drinking a bit of herbal tea but mostly water and sometimes lemon water. I def get tons of fibre!

86 Erica March 14, 2012

Tofu newbie….how does one press tofu? *blushes*

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

Don’t worry I didnt know either…I linked to it in a previous post (in the recipe)

88 Julia March 14, 2012

Oh wow, this sounds wonderful! I’ve been loving tofu lately but need new ways to try it.

89 Miriam March 14, 2012

Ok Ange. That’s it. I’m trying tofu. You just make it so convincing :)

90 Moni'sMeals March 14, 2012

This certainly makes tofu look like the better choice out of anything else! Dill and Lemon are two of my fav combos. I love that you added the nutritional yeast.

Glad you have been feeling better too. :)

91 Lana March 14, 2012

So delicious! I love tofu, and am always looking for ways to dress it up a bit. We fried some up the other day with ginger and lime and added strips into some homemade sushi with minimal brown rice and tons of veggies :)
Out of curiosity though, what is your stand on soy and tofu? Good for us, bad for us? I eat it in moderation because I feel that soy isn’t the healthiest out there, but I just love tofu too much so I buy organic GMO free tofu once in a while. Would love to know what you guys think :)
Love all your recipes girl!

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

Hey Lana, As far as I’ve read, research is on both sides when it comes to soy. I prefer to enjoy it in moderation (yes organic non-gmo) about once a week. If I was eating it several times a week, I might be more concerned.

93 Laura March 14, 2012

I’m a lurker… But have to comment. First – I simply ADORE your winter banner! That is just the most luscious fruit/veggie picture ever! Second – hubby & I just started the tofu thing ourselves. He did an awesome job frying it up with yeast flakes and some Italian seasoning. It did not survive the trip to the table. Gone. Yumm. In theory however, it would have been super yummy with sauteed tuscan kale, and mushrooms on top of rice… :-) he made extra to last the week – but that too didn’t last the day… amazing. however – i’m pretty sure we use much more oil than your recipe calls for… still – great!

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2012

Thanks Laura! glad to hear you’re enjoying the tofu too :)

95 Susan March 14, 2012

I LOVE dill – can’t wait for summer when my garden is overgrown with dill and I can use it to make this!
I too have a mini chopper which I love and use quite often – so handy and convenient. I also have an immersion blender which I find quite useful for blending dressings such as your lemon tahini dressing

96 Jena March 14, 2012

You totally beat me to posting this recipe! I’ve been doing a very similar sauce (sans nutritional yeast) for a few weeks on cold chickpeas. It’s great on salad or by itself. I never thought of using it on tofu – will have to try it!

Thanks Angela!

97 Crystal March 14, 2012

This sauce would be awesome on chickpeas! Doing that next!

98 Raegan March 14, 2012

Just discovered your blog… And I just want to say that I’m so glad I did! I thought I was crazy for thinking green tea hurt my stomach because of how good for you it’s supposed to be. I’m slowly learning that when you have IBS, sometimes the “best” foods are the most painful.

99 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 14, 2012

I’m glad your tummy troubles have been solved! That’s so weird that it was the green tea though – I’ve never heard of it causing problems before! But then again, I’ve never heard of someone drinking 2 pots of it a day either haha. ;)

This tofu recipe looks fantastic!

100 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 14, 2012

I can’t drink green tea at all, which is sad because I love how it tastes! I cant drink too much of any tea (and by too much I really mean cup after cup–I tend to get a little nuts in the winter and always have to reel myself in) but even a little bit of green tea really messes my stomach up. I’m glad I’m not the only one, I have never heard of anyone else whose stomach can’t handle it!

101 Stacy March 14, 2012

This is one recipe I am definitely goijng to try… Planning to do so this weekend. :-)

102 Crystal March 14, 2012

On my way home, I stopped and picked up the ingredients for this recipe. I was blown away with the taste! Awesome! I loved this recipe and had to hold myself back from eating the entire block. I can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow!!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2012

Im happy you enjoyed it!

104 Bethany March 14, 2012

I am an IBS sufferer, too. I switched off of coffee to tea because coffee KILLED my stomach. But that’s an interesting observation about green tea. I didn’t feel good the other day after drinking it. Hmm. It usually doesn’t bother me too much. But I should keep an eye on it.

My triggers are grease, certain vegetables (broccoli can be the worse sometimes!) and anything acidic like orange juice and tomato sauce.

105 Meghan March 14, 2012

This sounds great! I also have IBS. It is very difficult to regulate and sometimes you think one food causes it when in fact it’s something else completely! I must say, since going vegan, it has been much easier to manage. Green tea is definitely a killer. Fennel, ginger, and peppermint are great teas for IBS. I love lemon ginger as a morning pick me up and a calm cup of fennel at night. Your recipes have been great for my sensitive stomach which has been so amazing. So thank you thank you thank you! Can’t wait to make this one!

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2012

I’ve been rocking the lemon ginger and peppermint too :) Love them!

107 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 14, 2012

Lemon and dill is a classic combo that suits so many different proteins. I know what I’m making next time my vego friend comes over to visit!

108 Taji March 14, 2012

My acupuncturist told me to avoid green tea since i was having gastritis problems. He’s getting me off Prilosec so i am listening to him. I’m glad it is helping you.

109 Katie March 15, 2012

Yum, this dressing looks so great! I love that you’ve use dill pickle juice in the dressing. My husband has a jar a week pickle habit, so there is never any shortage of pickle juice in this house!

110 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts March 15, 2012

It’s interesting to hear your success with reducing green tea. I do tend to find that it makes me nauseous if I drink too much or have it first thing on an empty stomach…it’s great you’ve had such good results cutting it down.

It’s also kind of nice to hear that you’re like the rest of us in coming to certain foods late :) I only jumped on the tofu bandwagon last year and am still figuring out how I best like it; this recipe could be a contender!

111 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 15, 2012

I love the dressing, since I’m not vegan, I’m going to try the dressing over chicken!!!

112 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 15, 2012

Wow, just a simple change like that is sometimes all it takes to get back to the old you! That’s so awesome. I’m happy you didn’t have to go to the naturopath over and over, or that you weren’t told you were allergic to gluten! I feared for you there for a bit.

113 LizAshlee March 15, 2012

YUM! Lemon dill is such an awesome combination!

114 Tessa@The Domestic Diva March 15, 2012

Og , figuring out what our body’s trying to tell us can be so maddening….I am sorry you’re struggling with IBS.
The tofu looks fabu, can’t wait to cook some up. pinned!

115 Hilary March 15, 2012

I cannot believe that about the tea! I have IBS too and I drink a lot of tea as well … does all tea have tannins? Even caffeine free? I will go check online but very interesting tidbit!

116 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 15, 2012

I’ve already commented on this post, but I wanted to let you know I altered the recipe using what I had on hand and used dill, herbamere, a little lime juice and olive oil on the tofu and it turned out FANTASTIC. So fresh, so light, so delicious. Thanks for the inspiration!

117 Teri Cummings March 15, 2012

What a wonderful sauce! I’m going to try it out this weekend in a Breakfast Tofu Scramble – I live in Portland, OR – the city with more tofu scrambles on the menus that people I think! I wonder how it would be with Tempeh as well…hmmm…

Thanks for all you do :-)

118 Callie McBride March 15, 2012

Angela, my mom and I just made this for lunch and we LOVED it!
Also, on Saint Patrick’s Day I will be making your Peppermint Patty Green Smoothie…its like a healthy version of a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake! Thank you so much for always providing such great alternatives for vegans like us, it saves us so much time and frustration!

119 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2012

Hey Callie, Im so happy to hear that you both enjoyed it! Enjoy the smoothie too.

120 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 15, 2012

Gorgeous photos! That dressing looks great. I agree that tofu is all about preparation :)

121 Natasha March 15, 2012

looks absolutely delicious! Dill is one of my favorite herbs, so I’ll definitely have to make this soon :)

122 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles March 15, 2012

I’ve been hearing more and more accounts of managing stress as a way of curbing IBS. I definitely need to look into it lowering the anxiety!

123 kath March 16, 2012

I am all over this recipe!! Great work!

124 Tamara March 19, 2012

Hi Angela,

Thanks for another great recipe. May I ask what brand of mini-processor you use? I’m on the hunt for one myself and totally got lost in them all at Cayne’s!

Tamara
PS Enjoy Oakville! I’m not sure if you like theatre but Sheridan’s Musical Theatre program puts on amazing shows and they’re super affordable! Check them out :) (I don’t work for them but am in the biz and my sister goes there so that’s how I know)

125 Hong Mei March 20, 2012

I made the lemon dill tofu last night and the crispy tofu strips tonight. My two daughters (2 and 9) hated the lemon dill tofu (more for my husband and I, we loved it) but loved the crispy tofu strips. My younger daughter had already eaten dinner when the strips were finished and when they came out of the oven she took one bite and then couldn’t even wait until they were properly cooled and gobbled down all the strips I had put on my plate for myself.
Her: wow, these are good.
Me: do you know what they are?
Her: of course I do, it’s tofu.
Me: just checking

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2012

thanks for sharing! So glad to hear that.

127 Stephanee March 20, 2012

Perhaps you could replace green tea with herbal tea? I recently stopped drinking caffeine due to my anxiety and I have found that I really enjoy herbal tea. It has also done wonders for my anxiety!

128 Maddie March 25, 2012

I finally got around to making this the other day. I put the leftovers in a sandwich and it was awesome.

129 Trevor Waterman March 27, 2012

I’m also scared of Tofu but I think your idea’s are great. I especially like the chicken strip idea.

130 greenthyme April 4, 2012

Angela, I just had this for dinner and so enjoyed it!! Great, great sauce! I’ve been so boring with my tofu lately and this was such a delicious meal! You’re great. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes like those crispy tofu strips!

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2012

So glad to hear you enjoyed the tofu!

132 greenthyme April 5, 2012

My husband, who is omnivorous as they come, even tried a bite….that is saying a lot! And he said, ooh this sauce is good. I didn’t make a big deal of it. I didn’t want to ruin the moment. Haha

133 Gary May 17, 2012

We made this tonight. Lovely sauce. In addition to the tofu, I also slathered some over asparagus.

134 Maggie May 29, 2012

I just used this dressing as for a chickpea salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and feta and it is delicious!

135 janet @ the taste space June 20, 2012

Loved the dressing, Angela. I used it with pan-roasted chickpeas instead of tofu. They absorbed the dressing as leftovers but were great fresh from the pan! Thanks for sharing! :)

136 Laura November 6, 2012

Just made this recipe for the first time! LOVED IT. Hands down the best tofu recipe I am yet to come across.. so healthy too! Definitely going to be sharing this with family and friends. Thanks!

137 Katherine December 6, 2012

I just made this recipe. Only thing i did different was I froze the tofu and defrosted it first as I heard this helps to remove more liquid when pressing. I sliced the tofu into 1/4” thick triangles. My 8 year old son thought the sauce was too spicy with the raw garlic but ate up the tofu triangles, exclaiming they were like “little tofu cookies.” My two year old daughter offered up a “yum yum.” This is definitely one to work into regular rotation. Thank you Angela, for another winning recipe.

138 Caitlin March 21, 2013

Just made this recipe. It’s good, but I made some changes. I found it very, very strong so I added a little agave, extra nutritional yeast. Also added a little arrowroot because it was a little thin. Overall tasty, but may be a little intense if you’re not into super sour dill.

I also put it on broccoli, very tasty.

Normally I bake tofu, marinaded in ginger, soy sauce and garlic marinade, but fried is so much faster.

Another note – you can dry fry tofu as well and get similar result. I like the added fat, but it isn’t 100% necessary.

139 Nicole July 5, 2013

I recently discovered how much I love tofu, after being a non-tofu-eating vegetarian for a couple of years. When I first starting following your blog, I was so relieved that there were other non-meat eaters that didn’t eat tofu, either. Now I’m equally glad that we both eventually discovered the amazingness that is tofu, because this recipe just knocked my socks off. I served it over turmeric couscous and sauteed asparagus. :)

140 Lena March 15, 2014

Great recipe! Will be trying it out tomorrow!
As for your IBS… Apologies for unasked advice, but my close friend had the same issue, she was trying to get her problem under control for years and not one doctor could tell her exactly what was the cause or triggers.
Until she was tested for gluten allergy. Believe it or not, as soon as she stopped eating gluten she never had issues again. She’s on gluten free life style for over a year now. And additional bonus of that was weight loss of 15 kg!
Maybe you have something similar?

141 Kris March 26, 2014

I’ve never eaten anything like this! It’s so full of lemony dilly flavor! I ate it with some brown rice and was particularly generous with the dill. I haven’t been this blown away by a tofu recipe since General Tao’s tofu.

142 Florence May 23, 2014

Awesome ! I made this for my father tonight. He is a hard core non vegetarian and was very skeptical when I told him it was tofu-based. But he loved it and told me i should do it again. :)

143 CK May 27, 2014

Baaaaaah! I just LOVED this recipe – especially the dressing!! I made it tonight for dinner and still can’t get over how awesome it is. I’m new to your blog and have found several other recipes that I cannot wait to try! Like many have already stated, I too suffer from IBS and have turned to your blog as inspiration to eat a healthier, whole foods diet. Thanks for sharing your story Angela!

144 Payton July 28, 2014

This looks awesome! i am going to try it with some angel hair pasta… mmmm.

145 Payton October 2, 2014

I’m going to make this next weekend when my bff visits! we’re gonna have it over some angel hair pasta, and maybe pour some extra sauce over top of the pasta. mmm. so excited to try it out! but- i don’t have a food processor. do you think it would be okay if i just chop everything as finely as possible and mix it super well? thanks in advance!

146 Ella March 24, 2015

Thank you so much! I’ve been trying to incorporate more tofu into my diet since going vegan, but I’m also sort of scared of it. You have given me hope! Haha can’t wait to try this recipe. I love all of your recipes – you’re great!

147 Catherine Hillier April 13, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I have made this recipe with the tofu and I really loved it. Recently I had to make a salad for a party in a hurry. I chopped up a head of cabbage, julienned some carrots and used this Dill Dressing. It ended up being the show stopper on the salad table!

148 Shawna May 26, 2015

We had a huge bunch of dill in our weekly vegie box this week. I came across this recipe yesterday and made the tofu for dinner last night. We ate it all and I’m making it again tonight. I think I’m addicted ☺

149 Chelsea July 29, 2015

This recipe just blew my mind! I thought I knew how to cook tofu but I actually took the time to press it and cook it just like you said and it turnes out nice and crispy and just a bit crunchy. I had it on a sandwich with a few simple toppings and was a few bites in when I realized how heavenly the dressing was… and that it was one of the best sandwiches I had ever had.

I’m dreaming of eating it for lunch tomorrow… thank you Angela!

150 Nancy March 2, 2016

I used dried dill instead of fresh. I found a conversion on the web indicating I should use dried at 1/3 the amount of fresh. I must have done something wrong because it was inedible. Has anyone made this with dried dill? If so, how much did you use. I was so looking forward to trying this recipe. I have had lemongrass tofu in a restaurant and loved it. I thought this would be similar. I’m not going to rate this recipe since I changed it.

151 Angela Liddon March 23, 2016

I have not tried this using dried dill unfortunately! I would suggest using much less if you try the recipe again in the future. Maybe start with 1 tablespoon and you can always add more as a garnish sprinkled on top if you think it needs more. Hope this helps, Nancy!