Rekindling a Love for Racing

IMG_6538

Have you ever had a hobby or activity that you love and let it get away for a while?

And a lot of time goes by and you start to wonder if you’ll ever get back into it?

That’s sort of what happened to me with running races.

IMG_82132

In 2009, I got hooked on races running two 10k’s, a 10-miler, 3 half-marathons, and a beginner’s triathlon, all within about a year and a half. To say I was hooked on racing was an understatement. I loved the thrill of pushing my body, overcoming mental hurdles, and seeing my time improve. My last race was the Oakville Labour Day 10k and I managed to finish 3rd place in my division with a time of 49:50. It was a great race to end the season.

20100906IMG_2419

Despite my love for racing, I shifted gears in 2011 in favour of other activities. I fell in love with hot yoga and rekindled my love for Body Pump and spinning, after Ange gave me a discounted gym membership for the year. I used to be a gym rat back in university, so it was fun to get back into some of my favourite classes.

IMG_5612

In 2012, I decided not to renew my gym membership, so I’ve been alternating at-home Booty Camp Fitness strength workouts with running outdoors. Because our winter has been so mild and free of much snow, I’ve been able to enjoy running outdoors several times a week. At first, adjusting to running during winter was difficult for me (it’s harder to breathe!), but now I find that I crave getting outside as much as I can, as long as I bundle up properly. I just don’t leave the house without the most crucial piece of winter running equipment- a few tissues! Having to blow your nose is a great excuse to take a walking break, right?

As you can see, my activities have been all over the place over the past couple years! I used to think that I had to juggle everything I love to do all at once, but I’ve since realized that it’s totally normal for passions and interests to change over time and for our focus to shift. I don’t need to do it all at once and it’s ok if I don’t have the “perfect” balance, whatever that means.

After discovering a love for climbing in Arizona, I found myself playing around with the idea of getting back into running races. It took getting to the top and bottom of a steep, rocky mountain for me to realize how much I’ve missed the feeling of accomplishment when it’s all over. It also made me realize how much I thrive on challenges, physical and mental. As an added bonus, these accomplishments also have a positive impact on my anxiety.

IMG_2180

I caught myself thinking, I don’t think I can race this year. I just have too much on my plate…. How am I going to race if I can’t even find the time to _____ right now?

That’s when I realized that being busy is exactly the reason to get back into a long lost activity. We’re all busy. We all have obligations. Life just gets busier and busier with each passing year. Whether it’s racing, volleyball, dance, biking, the gym, or yoga, so many of us (and I think women, especially) let our passions fall to the wayside in favour of work and home obligations. Obviously, life happens and exercise gets put on the back burner at times (I’ve skipped many workouts over the past few months!), but that doesn’t mean I have to give up on a passion all together.

This isn’t to say that I’m going to bite off more than I can chew. I’m going to try to be realistic with the time I will have to race. I’m going to start with shorter 5k or 10k races, that require little training other than the running I’ve already been doing. I’m not trying to achieve a certain time goal right now or win the race (ok maybe I am, bahah). I just want to allow myself the opportunity to get back into something I love. That is definitely attainable.

On that note, I’m excited to let you know that I’ve signed up for three races over the next few months:

1) Sunday Feb 12 (in 2 days!): The Valentine’s Day Couples & Singles 5k, Burlington, ON (I’m going as a SINGLE, anyone want to be my hot date?)

2) Sunday March 4th: Chilly Half Marathon and Frosty 5k, Burlington, ON (I’m doing the 5k)

3) Sunday April 22Toronto Yonge Street 10k, Toronto, ON

I’m looking for buddies…so let me know if you want to join me!

~~~

Is there an activity or hobby that you are thinking of starting up again? Or a totally new-to-you activity that you’ve been thinking of trying out?

1 Kim February 10, 2012

I would love to run with you, but I’m in Portland, Oregon :0( Have a great time at the race this weekend!

2 Angela February 10, 2012

Thanks Kim! :)

3 Maria Thompson March 13, 2014

I had my long distance relationship for almost 4 years now, Our relationship was okay and good, but for some reasons I couldn’t understand My ex boyfriend broke up with me for almost 3 weeks now, and it me sad, frustrated, devastated having mix emotions to face the reality that he doesn’t want to work it out anymore, I dint know what else to do until i search and bumped into this testimonies regarding Love spell and i read some of those who had the same problem i had and until i found Dr. Alex who can cast spell to bring your partner back at first i was hesitant to do so but eventually i tried his power to cast spell bring back your partner back because of his kind hearted, generosity He did Help me and i am so happy about it. Thank you so much Dr. Alex you May contact him here (solutionhelpcentre@gmail. com) or call him on +2347036013351

4 Rachel February 10, 2012

I can totally relate! I’m a triathlete and racing is basically my life – it’s been a while because they’re during the spring/summer, and now that the end of the uni school year is in sight I’m getting so excited to get back into it. So true that there’s nothing like the rush after pushing yourself!

5 Laura February 10, 2012

Chilly is an awesome race if you haven’t done it before! I ran it in 2010, but I’m not doing it this year…it’s Around the Bay for me instead! I’m loving our winter too, it’s so easy to run outside!

6 Kristy @ KristyRuns February 10, 2012

I always love running races, but I’d love to get into weights a little. I have zero upper-body strength and want to change that! :)

7 jaimie February 10, 2012

im doing the chilly half!! i did it last year – its hard! and cold!

8 Angela February 10, 2012

Good luck!! I can imagine the challenge of running the half in the cold. What temp was it last year? One of my halfs was run in -2C and that just about did me in! lol

9 jaimie February 10, 2012

it was just terrible! rain followed by snowstorm the day/night before, and i think it was about -6 with windchill…froze the roads, and the cups of water at the ice stations! luckily this year has been milder and hopefully it will be a nice day on the 4th!

10 Angela February 10, 2012

ahhh crazy. I guess you never know what you’re going to get in march!! Here’s hoping for a nice day :)

11 amanda February 10, 2012

I’m running the Toronto Yonge Street 10K! It’ll be my first race back after an injury last year and I can’t wait. Hopefully I’ll see ya there!

12 Angela February 10, 2012

I hope to see you there too! Have you run it before?

I did a half along that same (or similar route) there are more hills than they lead on…lol. But it was fun running down yonge st.

13 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde February 10, 2012

Thanks for the positive message! I also have to remind myself that passions change and evolve, and it’s okay not to do everything all at once. And I was just talking to my friend yesterday about how there will always be an excuse for not having time to go to the gym or do whatever other physical activity you prefer, so it’s essential to make it a part of your schedule just like work or classes. Good luck with your races!!

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 10, 2012

Congrats on rekindling your love for racing Ange!! I’m also doing the same this year, and am so excited for the Lululemon SeaWheeze half marathon in Vancouver in August. It’s been ages since I’ve raced but I really want to do another one! And rock climbing is something I’ve put on my vision board for this year so I’m determined to make it happen. Good luck in the race on Sunday – even though you’re entering as a single I hope your other half will be there taking photos for you! ;)

15 Jenny February 10, 2012

Angela this is a beautiful post. I think it is important to take breaks from hardcore training like running. I didn’t realize how important it was until my body burnt out. You are a great role model and a great inspiration! Good luck with training.

16 Jess February 10, 2012

Good luck on your 5k this weekend! If you’re looking for a 1/2, you should consider the GoodLife Toronto half-marathon on May 6th. I’m still looking for running buddies :)

17 Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 10, 2012

I am not “re-kindling” a love, rather, kindling a new one altogether! – cycling! – I have always “said” that I want to bike but now I actually am and I have a commuter bike but I am wanting to get a used road bike PLUS I am thinking about kindling triathlon love THANKS to OSG as in your years past, I read, and find inspiration! thanks angela :)

18 Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites February 10, 2012

ps I facebook ya AND I tweeted babay!…there’s always MORE to promote about OSG…thazzz why I LOVE it!

19 Beth February 10, 2012

Congratulations on getting back into racing! We make time for the things that are important to us. Best of luck to you!

20 Shruti February 10, 2012

Oh this post is a reminder for me to get back to running and my other long-forgotten hobby-Painting! Maybe I should get back to it this weekend. Thanks Angela for the inspiration.

21 Danielle February 10, 2012

I’m training for my first 1/2 marathon in April! It has helped me to have a purpose for running, so I decided to fundraise for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. It’s been a great experience so far, and gives me more motivation to push myself.

22 Liz February 10, 2012

For various reasons, I have been on race hiatus since probably July last year (except for a Turkey Trot), but getting back into it starting in April with a 5K and then a couple of 10k’s over the summer. I had wanted to do a half in April, but it’s just not realistic with our schedule over the next two months. My husband has signed up for a 3 race series, so I have to compete with that :)

23 Rachel @Balance and Blueberries February 10, 2012

Running! After a severe (unrelated) injury last fall, I’m rebuilding time and distance, slowly but surely. It feels sooo good to get back into it!

24 Anna S February 10, 2012

I haven’t been able to run at a great racing pace the last few years – pregnancy put an end to that. But I did run a 10k 4 months after our daughter was born. It was SO great to be running again. Then last year at the same race (Valley Harvest Marathon in Nova Scotia) I ran a 5k just to get back into it. I came across an old race bib and that has motivated me to run a 5k this year (at the Bluenose Marathon in Halifax) and try for a personal best under 29:16minutes. Fingers crossed. Good luck on your runs!

25 Angela February 10, 2012

Goodluck to you!! That’s so great that you are getting back into it too. I find it’s always hard to start something, but once I do, I find it’s not so bad. ;)

26 Cait's Plate February 10, 2012

Congrats on signing up! Sometimes just having something on the calendar gets your race juices flowing! :)

27 Leah February 10, 2012

Love this bit..
“That’s when I realized that being busy is exactly the reason to get back into a long lost activity. We’re all busy. We all have obligations. Life just gets busier and busier with each passing year. Whether it’s racing, volleyball, dance, biking, the gym, or yoga, so many of us (and I think women, especially) let our passions fall to the wayside in favour of work and home obligations. Obviously, life happens and exercise gets put on the back burner at times…”

Yup. Especially in the last year. I’m busy with home life, work life (as i’ve taken on more responsibility), social life etc.. that I just think exercise has really fallen onto the back burner – I feel like the old me (exercise 5-6 days a week) isn’t achievable. BUT exercising 3-4 days a week should be, and could be if I made it a complete priority. I feel better about everything if i do.

Good luck with your upcoming races!

28 Angela February 10, 2012

I agree that it really spills over into everything. Working out not only makes me healthier, but it makes it easier to concentrate on work and a more positive person in my everyday life. It’s easy to forget that sometimes though! Goodluck with your goals :) I wish you were here to run with!

29 Leah February 10, 2012

I know!! Someday we’ll work out together again!

30 Kennedy @ Running After Balance February 10, 2012

I’m so excited for you to get back into racing!! I’ve never done any of those races, but I’ve heard about the Valentine’s Day 5k and it sounds super fun :) I look forward to reading your recaps!
I chose Sporting Life (on May 13th) over the Yonge St. 10k this year, but if you’re ever looking for a racing buddy in Toronto, I’m your girl!

31 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles February 10, 2012

Congrats on indulging the running bug again, Angela! I can’t wait to read about your training plan & race prep, since I’m supposed to be in half-marathon mode but am a total newbie! =)

32 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 10, 2012

Good for you! My relationship with running waxes and wanes as well, but I still find there is no better release when life gets busy. There’s just something freeing about it.

Best of luck on the races!

33 kaila @ healthyhelper February 10, 2012

All those races sound so fun! I love doing races on holidays…a valentines themed one would be awesome! I definitely want to sign up for some races this year. I haven’t raced since I left my XC team and I am really craving some good competition!

34 Vicki February 10, 2012

Love this post – it’s very inspiring! Thanks Angela!

35 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 10, 2012

I had a baby last month and getting back into racing has been my motivation for exercising post pregnancy. It’s been almost 5 years and I’m so excited to get back into it! Good luck in your races.:-)

36 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 10, 2012

I’m not necessarily a runner, but I like it. All those pictures make me want to get into it more! Looks like you’re having fun! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

37 Amanda February 10, 2012

Good for you, getting back in the swing of things! I just took up running a few weeks ago (after years of absolutely hating everything about it) and I am totally in love. In fact, I’ve signed up for my first 5K in July! And just as a general life rule right now, I’m trying to make more time for any and everything that keeps me happy–painting, working out, playing piano, spending more time with family and friends. It’s amazing what a difference it makes!

38 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 10, 2012

Yay! That’s great! I’m sure you’ll do wonderful in the races. We all need to shake it up from time to time but it’s nice to go back to those tried and true things as well!

I would REALLY love to kayak this year. We’re thinking of buying our own but working out the logistics of storage and roof racks. I’m tired of saying “one day” on some things and as soon as my weight is appropriate, I’ll be ziplining for sure! Really hoping for that this year!

39 Ashley February 10, 2012

I just signed up for a running group that will be training for the Portland Marathon in October! Ick!! Exciting, but scary! :)

40 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 10, 2012

how fun!! Good for you girl :)

41 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 10, 2012

Good for you, Angela! I bet you’ll have lots of fun in those races. I too dropped off from running for a bit to let my body heal from a couple of injuries. I just picked it up this week, running 1-2 km every second day and I loved it! I’m taking off to India in a couple of days, when when I return, I hope to register for a couple of races and really get back into the game!

42 Rachel B February 10, 2012

I compete for my University for cross county and nordic skiing, but this is my last year.. I’m actually looking forward to not having the pressure of college competition for skiing next year since I think it makes me put too much pressure on myself and takes away from my love of the sport itself. I cant wait to just go for long ski’s in the woods without having “training” in the back of my mind. Congrats for getting back into racing!! Taking the time for yourself to get back into it is always satisfying, even when you feel overwhelmingly busy. I feel like nothing eases the mind more than pushing yourself through a race and the endorphin rush that follows :)

what kind of camelback do you use and is it comfortable?? I’ve never tried running with one but I’d like to train for a marathon this summer and I think it would definitely come in handy!!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2012

im not sure what model it is, but I love it. The only annoying part is that it’s hard to keep clean. I think I bought the smallest model available.

44 Allison February 10, 2012

This post really couldn’t have come at better time for me. I woke up this morning thinking about how I used to dedicated myself running for hours training for a half marathon and now I can’t find time to do 20 minutes of yoga in my bedroom! I think sometimes we just need to add that extra kick of motivation (like we get from training for a race) to get our priorities reorganized. Thanks for an inspiring post!

45 Melissa February 10, 2012

One of my girlfriends asked me to run the Yonge Street 10K with her…I haven’t run a 10K in almost 2 years… I fell out of love with running and was really into Turbo Jam for a while. But like you, I’ve really been enjoying this mild winter for running (in Oakville). Anyway, here’s hoping for a successful 10K. I will keep my eye out for you at the race :) Good luck on Sunday!

46 Jen February 10, 2012

Have so much fun running!!! Unfortunately I live too far away to run with you (Chicago). I’ve just starting training this week for a 1/2 Marathon in Nashville, TN (4/28) and forgot just how much I enjoy running too!

47 Kerry burns February 10, 2012

That’s great that you signed yourself up for some races. That totally gives you a goal to get mentally and physically ready for. I am running the Chilly half for the first time this year. I had a baby 9 months ago and have done a couple races in the past few months to rekindle my love of running and racing too. I’m a bit scared for the half though as its been a few years since running a half…not to mention the potential weather factor!! Yikes.
Ever think of doing the Zoo 10km? I think it’s in October? I hear it’s great…wanna sign up?

48 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 10, 2012

I used to run races ALL the time, but haven’t done one in almost 2 years! I just wasn’t interested in it last year, and my part-time job teaching Spinning and Bodypump kind of took over (and left very little time for running). I’m sure I’ll get the bug to race again, but for now, there’s nothing booked. I do like the idea of traveling to do a race though… perhaps to Canada? :) What a great excuse to travel.
Good luck with your upcoming races!

49 Carly February 10, 2012

If you decide to run a race in August, I’ll be in Burlington and would love to run with you :) Because there’s nothing more fun than running in ridiculous summer humidity right?

50 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 10, 2012

That’s exciting that you’re going to start racing again. I have tried so many things over the years; dabbled with a little bit of this and that, and I have found that what works for me is a combo of running and yoga. I love them both, they give me what I need mentally and physically, and I can do them on my own timetable and don’t need a gym membership for since I do them on my own (running outside) and yoga at home.

Can’t wait to hear about your races!

51 Wendy Irene February 10, 2012

That is wonderful you are getting back into something you love! This year I have committed to do doing Yoga at least 3 times per week, intermixed with my other exercise activities. Yoga is a huge stress reliever for me, and the more I do it the more I realize just how much it means to me and how big of an impact it has on my life. Have a wonderful weekend!

52 Jennifer February 10, 2012

I would love to join you, but I have been out of running for a few years so I’m slowly getting myself back into it. I really do miss hot yoga and I’ve started going back and realize how much I enjoy it.

53 Kristen@Change of Pace February 10, 2012

So exciting you are getting back to races. They are so much fun! I used to run a lot but got bored with it. Now I’m a gym rat and that will probably change soon enough. I just can’t do the same old same old all the time. I’d love to get back into yoga again. The time will come :)

54 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed February 10, 2012

Yay for running races! Good luck!

55 Christie February 10, 2012

Congratulations on signing up for the races! It will feel great to get back into it.

I’m also a runner thats been on a bit of a race ‘hiatus’ (so to speak) for a while – and, like, you, I’m super keen to get back into it! It makes me nervous that I’m nowhere near as fit as I used to be, so I know I won’t beat my fastest time without some intense training. There is a half coming up in April that I’m planning to sign up for, so I just need to bite the bullet and just do it!

56 Andrea February 10, 2012

Rock climbing! I did it regularly at a climbing gym with a friend for about a year… several years ago. But your mention of climbing in AZ has me thinking about it all over again ~ and happy I didn’t ditch my gear for good (just tossed it in the closet!) :-)

57 Kris | iheartwellness.com February 10, 2012

You’re amazing girl, keep that passion alive!!! You are going to crush every race you have coming up!! Sooo proud of all your greatness!!

xxoo

58 Dani February 10, 2012

I’m actually just taking up running so this was the perfect timing for this post! I’m training specifically for the 5k Color Run (I THINK there’s a date for one in Toronto but I’m not 100% sure). Getting “painted” every kilometer? Yes please! Just the right kind of motivation to get me involved with running.

And if Kim comes back to check this out: I’m in Oregon too and the 5k Color Run will be in Portland in August if you’re interested ;-)

59 Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 10, 2012

That’s awesome! I would run with you in a heartbeat but I’m in Vancouver :(. I love 5Ks especially because there aren’t many nerves around it and I don’t have to worry about my knee as much as with a 10K. I have never done longer than a 10K – I’m really not a long-distance runner at all! Good luck with your races!

60 Sheesh February 11, 2012

HI Anna!

Thought I would just mention there is the Fort Langley Historic run next weekend, they have a 5k which I will be doing, my first run ever! Oh and I checked out your blog, looks awesome, will have to try out those better than starbucks brownies :)

61 Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 11, 2012

Thanks so much Sheesh! And thanks for letting me know about the Fort Langley run – good luck to you! You’ll do great!

62 Heather February 10, 2012

Thats awesome. Good luck this weekend. I just signed up for the mercedes 10k in
oakville. One finisher wins a lease for a mercedes for a year!

63 Sheesh February 10, 2012

Thanks for posting this today, I have my first run EVER next weekend and this is just the inspiration I need. It’s a 5k and that’s what I’ve been running for a few months at home now, but I don’t know exactly what to expect. I’ll have to search your blog for some pre race tips!

Congratulations :)

64 laura hache February 10, 2012

Hey Angela!

I just signed up for the Yonge St. 10K myself!! This will be my second race ever, and I am super pumped to really start training for it. I’m writing an exam tomorrow morning that has had a hold on my life for the last many months and I’m so so excited to get that out of my life and start running more!

If I see you around the day-of, I’ll be sure to introduce myself and say hi!

65 Melanie February 10, 2012

Wahoo! I’m running the Yonge 10K’er too!!

66 hannah alehandra February 10, 2012

Angela, I think that it’s great and inspiring that you’re making time for what you love. Wish I lived in Canada so that we could be race buddies, Boo :(

67 Stefanie February 10, 2012

I just started running and have enjoyed it. I’m running my first 5k in April. It will be fun to read about your races again.

68 Mel February 10, 2012

Oddly enough the thing I miss is pole dancing. I thrived on it when I was younger it strengthed my arms and I could so some amazing and daring things, upside down and no hands type since work I stopped but I do miss it and consider going back to it.

69 erin @WELL in L.A. February 10, 2012

Love this! “these accomplishments also have a positive impact on my anxiety.” When it comes down to it, our workouts are a time to WORK things OUT! Sometimes more mentally than physically! Have fun training and meeting the goals along the way – excited to read about the journey!

70 Shannon Watson February 10, 2012

I’ll be doing the 10k race on Yonge! Actually my friend and I are training for it in the city. Hope to see you there ^___^

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

hope to see you too Shannon!

72 Sarah Grubbs February 10, 2012

I am a Canadian (B.C.) replanted in Oahu, Hawaii and I run 10k, 1/2 marathons and hopefully my first full in Hawaii. There are always great races year around here and then the HUGE Honolulu Marathon during mid-December if you are ever interested in running in the cool hawaiian breeze!

73 TeenyLittleSuperChef February 10, 2012

I used to take belly dancing classses back in college and I keep telling myself I need to sign up for them again. It’s not only tons of fun but it’s also a really great workout because it allows you to use and move parts of the body you wouldn’t normally work. I remember also being much more in touch and in love with my body back then and I really think it has to do with the dancing. Now that I’ve actually written all this, I really feel encouraged to just go ahead and take the classes again. Thanks for the motivation. Good luck with your races. Wish me luck in shaking my booty!

74 clare February 10, 2012

Hi Angela! I recently found your blog a few days ago and find my self going back everyday to look at your yummy vegan recipes. I am not a vegan (as of yet!) but I am a vegetarian and also lactose-intolerant. Your blog has inspired me to get back on the health wagon, as we know that being vegetarian doesn’t make you healthy. I have a HUGE sweet tooth! Your running updates have also inspired me to get back into running, even though I haven’t run in MONTHS! So today I braved the rainy BC weather and ran 2 min walk 2 min. I am exhausted, but also invigorated! I am going to sign up for a 5k and start training. Thanks for your blog, I’m excited to get back into shape and to be good to my body! -Clare

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

Congrats Clare! So proud of you :)

76 Jess February 10, 2012

I’m doing the Yonge street 10k with a few friends, you are welcome to run with us, we’re all fans of the site!! I actually kinda looked for you at the 10 miler last year…

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

cool!! That would be fun. Shoot me an email leading up to the race if you’d like and maybe we can work something out :)

78 Jess February 12, 2012

I will, and we are starting to organize a trip to Barbados to do the race weekend there next December… Just saying…

79 Moni'sMeals February 10, 2012

Good for you Ang, Way to get back at it. Go get em’ and we know you will. :)

80 Träningsglädje February 10, 2012

hi there! i just came across your blog! i’m a swedish wellness blogger but have a friend in canada who i’ve visited a few times – and who lives in burlington, on. it is such a small world!! good luck with your blogging, training – and your racing! i often go abroad to race and it is such a fun thing to do. travel and training in the same trip! :)

81 Melissa S February 10, 2012

Good luck with your race this weekend! I am running my second 1/2 marathon this may and competing in my first triathlon this august! If you ever want to run a race in upstate NY, let me know. I would love to join you!

82 bri carpenter February 10, 2012

Congrats Ange on getting back into racing! I think its great you’re easing back into it! One thing I’ve learned is that if we want things to happen, we’ve got to make them happen. Good luck over the next few weeks!!

83 Marcella February 10, 2012

I love racing, but I hate how I always felt as though I HAD to compete at longer distances. I’m most comfortable at 10K or below, but reading blogs made me feel like such a failure if I wasn’t training for a half or full marathon. That really drew me away from running, but I’m getting back to something I love and I’m so happy to be doing it my way! I hope you have fun!

84 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 10, 2012

If I were in Burlington this weekend, I would definitely run that race with you! But I’ll be back in May and I’m thinking of doing either the 5 or 10K Run for Wells on May 26. If you’re not already raced out by then, you should join me! :D

85 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 10, 2012

Growing up I loved horse riding. I competed in showjumping for over ten years…even travelling internationally for events! I gave it up when I started university because I just didn’t have time anymore. I would love to rekindle my passion for riding again at some point. For now I will still focus on keeping fit and healthy with the gym, but one day I hope to hop back in the saddle!

86 Nicole February 10, 2012

I’m planning on doing the Frosty 5K. :)

87 Joss February 10, 2012

Good for you for signing up for those races – that will get you positive, motivated and right back into it :D

88 Hailey February 10, 2012

That’s awesome that you’re getting back into running. I’ve run a few marathons before and I know from experience that unless I’m signed up for a race, I just don’t run as much as I should. I’m training for the Nashville marathon right now and just experimenting with running with a more vegetarian/vegan lifestyle and so far so good, but I’m worried for the long runs. It is definitely so easy to let life get in the way of exercising as well as any other hobbies.

Good luck on your race this weekend! Do you think you’ll ever try a full marathon??? Also, do you have any speed workout tips? I am sloooooow (like 11 minute miles slow) and need to pick up the pace at some point haha.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

Hey Hailey, I doubt I will run a full marathon as Ive had a history of knee pains when running long distances. I think I have blogged about speed runs in the past but I cant seem to find them. maybe an idea for a future post!

90 Stephanie February 10, 2012

I just found your blog and have been reading through it for the last two hours. Your recipes and photos are amazing! My vegan overnight oats are ready to go for tomorrow morning before I teach yoga. I am so glad you like yoga so much :). I actually teach hot yoga twice a week. Have a great weekend!

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

Thanks Stephanie!

92 Tegan February 10, 2012

Angela,
I have been following you for quit a few months now and absolutely love your website and recipes. My husband and I have both been vegan for 10 months and would not change it for the world. I came accross this news story and thought of you and how much you enjoy whole foods. I loved the store as well but will definately keep an eye out the next time I go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=JQ31Ljd9T_Y . I can’t wait for all your new recipes to come!
Tegan

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

Hey Tegan,

Glad you are enjoying the blog! Yes I have watched that video…shocking isn’t it? I’m definitely going to keep an eye out too.

94 Jules @ La Petite Maison Verte February 10, 2012

Great post, Angela. I feel like I can relate to your feelings about doing “everything all at once” and getting overwhelmed by it all. I am signed up for my very first race (!) an 8K and I get the feeling it could definitely be addictive :-) Good luck on your upcoming races!

95 Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday February 10, 2012

Good for you- your attitude about it is refreshing- run on sister!!

96 Meredith February 10, 2012

Good luck this weekend, Angela! I’ll be in Burlington next month for the Chilly, doing the half marathon so maybe I’ll see you there :) Not likely doing the Yonge Street race, but maybe I’ll be out to cheer. I’ve done that race a few times before before (when it was part of the Canada Running Series) and it’s a blast to run down Yonge!

97 Tia @ Veggies and Pearls February 10, 2012

I just started rock climbing and I love it! I decided to pursue my newfound passion for it and I purchased a gym membership just to use their climbing wall and I’m even going on an outdoor trip to Arkansas next week. I am SOOO excited!

98 Emily@Perfection Isn't Happy February 10, 2012

I’d like to get back into running when it gets warmer out, but right now, I’m incorporating more strength training into my routine. My body is very sore, so I know something’s working!

99 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 10, 2012

Blogging! Over summer and christmas break, I made a point to blog once a day. Since beginning school again though, it has fallen to the way side :(

100 jess white February 11, 2012

i’m a runner, and ive been recently for 2 1/2 months. It has meant that I’ve been unable to race. This has not only made me depressed but it meant missing out on a lot of social activities with my running club! Racing is what i miss the most, and I cannot wait until I can do it again!
Once you’ve done your 5k on 12th, you’re passion will definitely be rekindled. x

101 Lia February 11, 2012

You know, this is a great post because so many people DO leave things they love due to the busy-ness of life and look back, decades later, and wish they had stuck to those things that made them so happy. I’ve been feeling that way recently actually. Though, I’ve been feeling something like what you said about feeling like I have to find a way to get everything in in the same period of my life. I’ve been getting more involved in big cooking projects and hopefully moving it into the professional sphere, and I’ve almost finished yoga teacher training, another activity that fell to the side for years. Now I’ve been wondering what happened to film editing (an expensive, time intensive, years of my happy life activity I was so adament about making my career once upon a time), and botany, which has also dwindled in its presence. But recent circumstance has conspired to lay these opportunities on a platter for me to pick up and place back into my life. These are the coincidences we should all learn to see, appreciate, and take full advantage of.

102 Melissa Shirey February 11, 2012

My sister asked me to run a few 5k’s with her this summer. I havent run since high school track, which is 20 years ago!!! I had been tossing around the idea of adding running to my workouts (weights/pilates/yoga), so I start “Couch to 5k” training the first sunday in March. I am nervous but excited!!!

Good luck in your race in 2 days~ talk about overcomming anxiety :)

103 Thea Brown February 11, 2012

First of all I LOVE your blog! I never write on blogs, but I just love yours so much. I honestly have cooked so many of your recipes and your pictures are always so fun and beautiful! So thank you because I know it takes a lot of work.

Second, your activity over your life is my life exactly. I was a mega gym rat in university, started running, loved running, started running in winters (not so easy sometimes). Got into bikram yoga, and moksha yoga, and am now back to running and doing Bodyrocktv!

I would totally run with you, but I am in Halifax and don’t return to Oakville till the 15th! But best of luck and go get em and keep on with the amazing blog! LOVE IT!

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

Thank you Thea, you are so sweet! I would love to run with you too. Sounds like we’d have lots to talk about being fellow maritimers and all!

105 Thea Brown February 12, 2012

I am actually from Vancouver originally and have lived in toronto/oakville for 8 years and now 2 out in Halifax, coast to coast!

I will be in Oakville from the 15th to the 21st right near appleby college if you up for a run!! I am sure I will head out for a lovely lakeshore run on the 16th!

Have a wonderful sunday!!!

106 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 11, 2012

Thats wonderful that you rekindled your love for running!! I need to rekindle my love to exercise! I’m burning out!!!

107 Drisana (SoulShineBlog) February 11, 2012

Sounds like you are going to be a busy gal filling your life with awesome stuff!!

108 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 11, 2012

ah, awesome Angela! I guess we all have things that we naturally stop doing for a lil short while b/c of other things that are happening~but I think that hiatus is good in some ways b/c it rekindles everything, and we come back stronger! :D It used to be like that with running for me. Now I’m back into it although I wasn’t super hard core back then, and I’m not hard core now….I just–run! And I run because it’s enjoyable and a great challenge. Maybe I should think in even more simple ways like Forrest Gump and run forever lol.

109 Michele February 11, 2012

I’ve been doing triathlons for 3 years and was runner before that. I recently did Ironman Arizona, which required A LOT of training last year, and after the Ironman, I was tapped out. I tried to stay on a workout schedule, but 3 weeks after the race, I ended up suffering a horrible calf strain jumping rope with children! The irony! I was on crutches for almost 3 weeks and since then haven’t done much. I know it’s the “off-season” but i need to get back to doing something and sometimes when you’ve had a break, it’s hard to get back into. But you have to listen to your body – and your mind – and now I’m at the point where both my body and mind are ready to get moving again. Sometimes it’s good to have some distance from something to let you miss it for awhile…thanks!
Kick some butt at your races this year!

110 Meg February 11, 2012

I was actually supposed to be in Toronto tomorrow and woulda loved to join you for the race however the baby blizzard that hit my city has deterred me from the drive.. Have fun! Good for you on getting back at it.

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

leave it to me to pick a race when it storms and the temp drops dramatically! haha

112 Kate February 11, 2012

Glad to hear you are getting back into racing – its a HUGE part of my life and I love it so much.

I’ve been trying to get into dance classes lately, I danced when I was a kid and let it go when I started to grow up! I took my first salsa class last week!

113 Jessica @ Hungrygems February 11, 2012

Sometimes you lose attention in a hobby because new ones surface that you want to pursue instead, and sometimes you lose focus on a hobby because something in your life has taken away your ability to do it. Either way, it’s important to be involved in something that fulfills you and if you ever want to go back or are given the chance to be reunited, it will be there waiting with open arms. Enjoy your run and kick some butt!

114 Nikki @ Active Vegetarian February 11, 2012

Congrats on reconnecting with something you love…

I know the feeling, I used to train/teach Kickboxing/Muay Thai and
got away from it for several months…I trained a few weeks ago
and it was awesome!

There are lots of beautiful mountains in BC to accomplish ;-)

Good Luck with your race tomorrow!!

115 Denise@Crazy Mother Runner February 11, 2012

Congratulations on resparking the racing bug. Good luck tomorrow!

116 Elly February 12, 2012

I’m so excited to hear that you are racing again! I’ve recently re-kindled my love of racing as well (I had a 6 year hiatus though!) and I ran a 10k in November last year and I’m running a half marathon in July this year. I would love to be your racing buddy – but I’m in Australia, so maybe we can be virtual training buddies :)

Good luck with your races and your training! Would love to hear updates and hear how your training is going :)

117 LizAshlee February 12, 2012

Thanks for the inspiration to get back to doing the things we love! I have let running distance fall by the wayside for a couple reasons but when I think about starting it up I feel as though I don’t have the time…but now perhaps I can let that reason go!

118 Nathalie February 12, 2012

Horseback riding. I never realized how much I missed it until I started again recently! And I want to enter my first 10K this year…running that is, not horse racing ;-)
Firstly, congratulations on the cook book!!! I am so happy for you and always thought it was a question of ‘when’ not ‘if’!
Most importantly ;-), I just made your vegan brownies. The 1.5 hour wait is just cruel, sooo cruel, so I may have just tried a little bit while they were still warm-ish. They are PERFECT!!! I lightly roasted the walnuts beforehand, I find it gives nuts even more flavour in baked goods. I am thrilled because for some reason my brownie baking attempts always kinda flopped, even when following tried and tested recipes. These won’t last long in this house :-) Thank you for another fantastic recipe!

119 Ashley F. February 12, 2012

I can totally relate to this! I’m starting my 2012 season with a 7k on St. Patrick’s Day. There’s free beer afterwards so I thought it would be a nice way to ease back into racing :)

120 Nia Sayers February 12, 2012

I’ve always wanted to get into rock climbing but for one reason or another it’s just never happened. And running too. I have a good friend who is running 40 races in 40 states this year to celebrate turning 40. I’ll be 40 in July and would love to cross something off my list. Is it too late to train for a marathon???

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 12, 2012

i dont think it’s ever too late! good luck with whatever you decide :)

122 Carolina February 12, 2012

Angela, you are so fit! Do you do weight training for your legs, or is it just from running? I’d kill for legs like that!

123 Jen February 12, 2012

Absolutely, it’s so easy to get distracted with life when making sure to follow passions like exercise makes us feel so much better, great post, very inspiring :).

124 Truan February 12, 2012

I’d really like to take up some form of dance, or maybe pilates. I tried adult ballet last year, and I really felt in over my head! Might give it another shot though…? :)

125 Triathlonbabe February 13, 2012

Ahhh the rekindling of racing…I love the sound of that. I ran a 5k last Nov. for the first time since March, when I ran the Dallas Rock n Roll. I hadn’t trained at all and actually ran the 5k faster than I thought I would and that was with no training, no running, just kickboxing. Weird…but I felt like I rekindled it then but still didn’t run again until this past Sat. when I ran the Hot Chocolate 5k with a friend that had never run a race before. This was her first and of course, the weather was very cold, which has not been the norm for the N TX area as of late. I totally get the rekindling and thought about getting back to triathlon again but just haven’t found that mojo. I’ll continue running and kickboxing but I also want to get back to hot yoga again. Thanks for the inspriration to get back to things we’ve wanted to for awhile!

126 Jennifer February 13, 2012

I have always needed a goal of some sort to keep working out interesting and worth doing. Most of the time it has been running races. But this year I have signed up for a tough mudder race and I can’t wait. I’m 39 and know that this will be by far a great feat to finish. I am already training and the race isn’t until Sept. 8. Give it a look see, they have them all over: http://www.toughmudder.com

127 Jennifer February 13, 2012

By the way, the tough mudder is all for a good cause as well: Wounded Warrior Project

128 Aryn February 18, 2012

That is great that you are rekindling your love for racing! I am looking to run a 10 K in the spring but can’t decide whether I should register for the Sporting Life 10 K or for the Toronto Yonge Street race!

129 K.Lee July 26, 2013

Hey that’s awesome! you’re actually near me???! i ran the ottawa half marathon last year, and the whitby half this spring. but i’m hoping to do the toronto scotia bank half in oct. will you be doing that one?