Endurance Crackers

IMG 7234   Endurance Crackers

Remember the chia seed crackers that we ate at Chocolatree Café just before hiking up 0.6 miles of rocky mountainside?

Here they are in all their glory.

IMG 21331   Endurance Crackers

We kicked some major mountain booty that day and I’d like to think the chia seed crackers had something to do with it. After all, the Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds (known as a “running food”) for hundreds of years to fuel their long journeys!

As soon as I got home, I knew I had to bust out a version of these in my own kitchen. I was “running” on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a 4am wake-up call and the chocolate I was inhaling wasn’t making me feel any better. The chia crackers came to my rescue!

IMG 7224   Endurance Crackers

Endurance Crackers

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. They are also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and oil-free to boot! Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. Nutritional info follows.

Print this recipe

Inspired by Chocolatree Café.

Yield: 22 large crackers

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chia seeds*
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
  • 1 tsp grated sweet onion
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Herbamare & kelp granules, to taste (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. In a small bowl, mix the water, grated garlic, and grated onion. Whisk well. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with salt, and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules, to taste. Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.

3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up.

4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 30 minutes, watching closely after about 25 minutes. The bottoms will be lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.

Note: See the bottom of this post for where you can purchase chia seeds.

Nutritional Info: (per cracker, makes 22 large crackers): 77 kcals, 6 grams fat, 4 grams carbs, 0 grams sugar, 3 grams fibre, 3 gram protein.

The nutritional stats are impressive, eh?

IMG 7206   Endurance Crackers

As I reached for my garlic powder, I thought why not use fresh garlic instead? My mom recently shared a trick with me for mincing garlic: just use a fine grater instead of chopping it. I used my Microplane and it was the perfect consistency for these crackers. Just be careful you don’t saw off the end of your nail like I almost did.

IMG 7191   Endurance Crackers

10 seconds flat for fresh garlic!

IMG 7194   Endurance Crackers

I also used the same method with the sweet onion.

After grating, I whisked the garlic and onion in a glass with the water (note: I ended up using a full cup of water instead of the 1/2 cup shown here).

IMG 7195   Endurance Crackers

Pour the water mixture into the seed mixture and stir well. It will be thick and gel-like in consistency.

IMG 7196   Endurance Crackers

Now season as you wish.

I used a mixture of Herbamare, kelp granules, and kosher salt for maximum flavour, but you can really play around with the seasonings any way you like! Add some spices too if you wish. Taste and adjust if necessary.

IMG 7204   Endurance Crackers

This picture hates me, clearly.

IMG 7207   Endurance Crackers

Spread onto your baking sheet lined with parchment (or a non-stick mat, but you will have to bake them a bit longer). You want to spread the mixture as thin as possible.

IMG 7200   Endurance Crackers

After baking for 30 minutes at 325F, remove from the oven and slice crackers with a pizza slicer.

IMG 7209   Endurance Crackers

I did a large diamond shape. You can do any size and shape you want, depending on how much ninja power you are looking for!

IMG 7212   Endurance Crackers

With a spatula, carefully flip the crackers and bake for another 30 minutes until toasty and golden on the bottom. Mmm.

IMG 7225   Endurance Crackers

My new favourite cracker, easily.

Not only are they vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, nut-free, and sugar free, but they can be made raw if you dehydrate them.

IMG 7226   Endurance Crackers

After cooling, they are crispy, chewy, and basically mind blowing ninja fuel perfect for dipping into hummus. Eric said they taste better than the ones at Chocolatree, but he may be biased. I couldn’t get over how light and crispy they are!

IMG 7218   Endurance Crackers

The question is: Whose butt do you want to kick this week?

Your boss, tough assignment, killer workout, or midterm exam?

Go make a list of things to butt kick.

Eat these crackers.

Kick some butt, ninja style.

IMG 7232   Endurance Crackers

It’s like bird food, but waaaaay better.

Do you ever see a tired bird?

I rest my case.

~~

Many of you ask where you can buy chia seeds. If you are looking for an online retailer in the US, try www.chiaseedsdirect.com. I’ve found both of these businesses to have very competitive prices. You can also purchase chia seeds from bulk food stores like Bulk Barn here in Canada or in natural food stores! Update: More readers also told me Costco sells them (in the supplement section) and even Winners and Homesense! Who knew?

Alana Sivin Health January 31, 2012

Yum! I always make a chia-seed smoothie or mix chia seeds into oatmeal when I’m feeling low energy in the AM. Looks like these would be perfect for a midday pick-me-up!

Anna@ActiveFingers January 31, 2012

I have been looking for a nut free snack that I could have at school! Now to go get sunflower seeds. Thank you for the recipe!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 31, 2012

I need to find those kelp granules!!

Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com January 31, 2012

I am sick in the head for crackers and these look great. Can’t wait to try them. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Maxine M January 31, 2012

I can’t wait to make these this weekend, they look awesome! I just love your website, I’ll be sure to show the girls at work these crackers!

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com February 1, 2012

Super healthy and easy snack! Thank you for sharing!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 1, 2012

hahaha…so true…you never see a tired bird! I need to kick butt in my workouts this week! Jamie Eason’s LiveFit Trainer is rocking my world and I need to keep up the pace. Will make these crackers and eat them pre-workout for an extra energy kick :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 1, 2012

I love the sound of these!

Leia February 1, 2012

I haven’t been able to find chia seeds in India. Do you think I could replace them with flax?

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 1, 2012

Yum! I could go for some of those, especially around 2:30 pm today when I hit my slump at work.

LizAshlee February 1, 2012

These look and sound fabulous..great with a salad or bowl of soup I bet! :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 1, 2012

Great work with these, Angela! I’ve always made this sort of thing in my dehydrator, but it’s good to know it’ll work in the oven too!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 1, 2012

Yum! I love crackers and I love chia seeds, so I will definitly give these a try, they look wonderful. I love when you try new foods from restaurants, cafes ect… and you run home trying to duplicate it and it’s so much satsifaction when you do!!

Robyn February 1, 2012

There’s something so appealing to look at all all those seeds(yum!). I’m going to make these as is for sure….but when I saw Chocolatree Cafe(and endurance crackers) I really thought there was going to be some sort of chocolate sooooo,,,I will make another version with some kind of cocoa?? Thks again Angela.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 1, 2012

These remind me of camouflage, which would make them fitting for a themed party…or easier to hide around a house plant.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2012

haha oh that made me laugh!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 1, 2012

So beautiful! They looks so good, I can’t wait to try these at home

Jen February 1, 2012

These look awesome, but I recently found out I can’t eat sunflower seeds or sesame seeds. Not even sure what to try to substitute for those :\

Moni'sMeals February 1, 2012

I can’t wait to make these! they look so good! Great for my training too.

“Kick some butt, ninja style.” as you say….With these, I believe you! and I will. :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 1, 2012

Super seedy! Haha tried a play on words there – never mind!

These look fab, I would serve them exactly as you did with hummus. And the health benefits from all those seeds must be crazy. Thanks Ange!

Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream February 1, 2012

OMG I have to try these! I tired the other cracker recipe a while ago and they we fantastic! These look super simple too!

Shanna February 1, 2012

I made these crackers yesterday and they were absolutley amazing. Ridiculously easy to make and sooooo yummy. I am in love! I’m going to make another batch to go along with the Roasted Tomato, Garlic and Onion Coconut Soup; they’ll be a great combo. Thanks so much and keep the awesome recipes coming Angela! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2012

So happy to hear that Shanna!

Nikki @ Active Vegetarian February 1, 2012

These looks so good! I love that there is no flour in these crackers :-)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty February 1, 2012

These are awesome!!! :)
I didn’t add sesame seeds (didn’t have them) and I used onion powder and garlic powder and they are just so fantastic!! Oooh and I added some nooch too!

Lauren February 1, 2012

Angela,
I’m a frequent reader, but have never commented until now. These crackers hit the the jackpot. All the ingredients are “staples” in my kitchen and they quickly combined to make a delicious mid-morning snack. Thanks for keeping us all inspired.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2012

Im happy to hear that Lauren!

hannah February 1, 2012

i made these crackers as soon as i read the post, and they are wonderful in every way: nutritious, delicious, AND i had all the ingredients on hand! i’m always looking for different and interesting ways to incorporate more seeds (instead of so many nuts) into my diet. this hits the spot!

Stephanie February 1, 2012

Making this tomorrow! Thank You!!

Kathy February 1, 2012

Costco has chia seeds? I. Need. To. Go. To. Costco. STAT!
Haha ^^

bitt of raw February 1, 2012

those are so pretty! I will try to make the raw version, i love pumpkin seeds and need another way to get some into my body. I will likely have to make them onion and garlic free but I may use a tomato as a wet ingredient instead. thanks for the recipe!

Karlie February 2, 2012

How would I make these in a dehydrator? I got one for Christmas and am looking for every exude I can find to use it:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2012

I would just check out a raw cracker recipe online and follow similar time guidelines :)

bitt of raw February 3, 2012

just posted this below but I’ll post it to you directly too:
I wanted to let you know I made these raw and they turned out great. I didn’t use the onion or garlic since it causes problems for me, I used some chopped parsley and collard instead. I dehydrated them at 145 for 1 hour, then a few more at 115, then flipped them and dehydrated overnight. It did not yield 25 large crackers, more like 16. Not sure I got mine as thin as yours. Next time I am doubling it for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

Diana February 2, 2012

I made this recipe last night as soon as I saw your post (fortunately, I already had all the ingredients)! They were FANTASTIC. Since going gluten free (and now grain free) three years ago, I rarely crave gluten foods, but the smell of everything bagels wafting out of a deli still KILLS me. These were fantastic and tasted like a cracker made of everything bagel toppings. To amp up the flavor, in addition to the grated onion and garlic, I also added a teaspoon of each, dried.

Thank you for a fantastic snack :) These will definitely become a regular around here.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2012

Hey Diana, Im so happy to hear that!! Enjoy the rest :)

Christine February 2, 2012

I made these last night because I wanted something crunchy with my salad and they were awesome! I substituted hemp seeds for sesame (because I have a sensitivity to them) and used onion powder instead of fresh grated. What a great recipe thanks Angela!

Kim February 2, 2012

I love these!! I just made them and am currently enjoying them with fresh guacamole! Thanks Angela!!

Stefanie February 3, 2012

Hi Ange,
will def. try them this weekend! I LOVE chia seeds and since I am not only vegan but also gluten-free this sounds like a blast. I gave up my Dorito habit last summer (they really are addictive, aren’t they?) and have been looking for a yummy yet nutritious salty snack (besides roasted nuts) to enjoy, without the feeling that they sap my energy (Doritos always did!).
I think I’ll serve them with your basic cheeze sauce (the one you use in your broccoli soup), what do you think?

Love and Lunges,
Stefanie

Amanda February 3, 2012

Made these yesterday! Thought they needed a little more salt but otherwise great! Making another batch today!

bitt of raw February 3, 2012

Meg February 3, 2012

These look so good! You should do a post about your favorite foods to eat before and after you exercise :)

Kim @ The Excellent Adventures February 4, 2012

Angela! I just finished making these crackers and they are AMAZING!! I have been looking forever for a healthy unprocessed cracker to go along with my love for dips… and this is it! So delicious and so easy to make!!

Thank you so much for this recipe!

Kim

Tiffany February 4, 2012

I’m definitely going to make these once my oven is fixed (hopefully this week!). For US people, Sprouts Farmer’s Market (sprouts.com) has chia seeds in bulk, and every couple of months they have 25% off their entire bulk section.

cara March 5, 2012

Really? I scoured the bulk bins at Sprouts with no luck. Maybe not all locations have them. LOVE Sprouts though! Finally found them at Whole Foods. Not bulk, but in another aisle with various bags of seeds and grains.

Tiffany March 6, 2012

I guess it does depend on the location, I know in February I saw they had wheat berries in bulk and I was super excited, but this weekend when I went they didn’t have them or a spot for them any more…. Maybe you can ask about them, I know they do whatever they can to satisfy the customer, so they might be able to bring it in since other stores carry it in bulk.

cara March 17, 2012

I found them! Sprouts *does* indeed have them. So glad I saw your comment and went back and checked again. Either they just started carrying them at my location, or I’m just an idiot. :)

Willow @ My Own Trail February 4, 2012

Once again, you have provided exactly the kind of recipe I need for the week ahead! I am definitely making these tomorrow. They look sooooooooo good!

Laura February 4, 2012

Just made these and WOW they are soooo good! I didn’t have sesame seeds, so I just added a bit extra of all the other kinds. YUM! Thank you for this one! :)

Page 3 of 6«12345»...Last »