Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

20120129 145035 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Toto, we’re not in Arizona anymore.

We were hoping by the time we got home, spring would’ve arrived in Ontario! Yea right. I think we are a few months off just yet. I still have a few Arizona highlight posts to show you, so maybe this will make Ontario’s clouds and snow easier to digest.

Early Friday morning we set off for Sedona driving the windy 89-A route up and down the mountains providing spectacular views (and some scary cliffs!)

IMG 2101 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

I was that wife screaming at my husband to slow down near the cliffs while I almost had a heart attack.

Along the way, we made a pit stop in Jerome to check out the shops, empty our bladders, and fill them back up again.

IMG 2110 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Apparently we weren’t the only ones!

IMG 2103 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Despite the ghost in town, Jerome was actually bustling with people. And fun signs. :)

IMG 2108 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

The cool morning called for some Tazo Awake tea. I was delighted to find out that they had a soy milk option. I always forget how much I love soy milk in tea, especially when it’s a sweet vanilla kind!

IMG 2116 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock! IMG 2106 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

After looking at some shops, we set off for beautiful Sedona!

IMG 2144 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Horrible scenery as you can see. ;)

After some sight seeing, we popped into Chocolatree Cafe, a funky little vegan restaurant in Sedona. We dined outdoors beside a hammock and hula hoops!

IMG 2118 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

I had a loose leaf stomach soothing tea to warm up.

IMG 2123 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!IMG 2129 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Eric and John both ordered the tomato soup and grilled cheeze sandwich. My mom and I died laughing when they ordered the same thing, yet again. Cut from the same cloth those two are!

IMG 2137 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

After teasing them, my Mom and I proceeded to order the same thing.

We ordered the Thai brown rice bowl with shredded cabbage & carrots, brown rice, raisins, mint, basil, and sprouts, in a creamy sauce made up of almond butter, tahini, lemon, garlic, ginger, chili, and sea salt.

IMG 2142 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

The boys weren’t too crazy about the grilled cheeze (I tried it and agreed it was a bit lacking), but they enjoyed the tomato soup.

The Thai bowl was fresh and flavourful, but the chia crackers really stole my heart. I can’t wait to try making some at home. I assume they are quite easy to make not to mention bursting with nutrition.

IMG 2133 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

After lunch, Eric and I headed to our next hiking destination that many of you raved about: Cathedral Rock!

IMG 7156 7 8 tonemapped thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

In my normal fashion, I got cold feet and almost backed down.

I took one look from the base and didn’t want to proceed with the climb. The mountains always look so steep and dangerous from the bottom and the people at the top look like ants! Once you get up there though, it’s really not bad and I find myself looking down and asking, how did I get up here?

I found myself saying two small words that can make the world of a difference: I’ll try.

IMG 2180 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

How many new things would you try if you just replaced I can’t with I’ll try? It’s amazing to think about, isn’t it?

I find the hardest part when trying something new is always the beginning and then it gets easier. This realization has helped ease my anxiety so much. If I can just push through the initial moments of discomfort, it’s usually the worst part. I loved what another reader commented the other day saying, it’s ok to feel unease and discomfort at times! Often we resist negative feelings so much, we forget that they can be completely natural at times. It helps to accept the feeling for what it is and then work through it, without trying to outright dismiss the feeling. I said to myself. “I feel anxious and that is ok, but I don’t have to back down because of it.”

IMG 2161 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Cathedral Rock is also rated a “strenuous” climb like Camelback Mountain, but it’s a shorter climb just 0.6 miles each way.

As scared as I was, I knew that I could do it…and probably have a lot of fun in the process!

IMG 7149 50 51 tonemapped2 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock! IMG 2163 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Here’s another low budget (heh) video I put together of the hike. Keep in mind that it’s really shaky in some parts! OK, all parts. Please don’t hurl.

IMG 7117 8 9 tonemapped thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Not surprisingly, the hike wasn’t as scary as I imagined and I found myself tackling the steeper parts most of the time because I just loved the challenge so much!

We both thought that Camelback Mountain was more challenging (and of course twice as long), but we absolutely loved the intimate nature of Cathedral Rock. It wasn’t very busy and we just had a blast with it. Bring a jacket too as it gets chilly at the top (I made that mistake at Camelback).

IMG 7134 5 6 tonemapped thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

At the summit, we almost blew away…as you will see in the video.

IMG 2173 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

After the hike, we warmed up with a hot tea while driving to Overlook point.

IMG 2186 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

A short climb led us to this great lookout point.

IMG 7175 6 7 tonemapped thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

IMG 2187 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Found a lucky penny and then left it for someone else.

IMG 7184 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

I also discovered that I scratched up the bottom of my rings from clinging to all the rocks! So hard core, lol.

IMG 7188 thumb   Jerome, Sedona, & Cathedral Rock!

Our visit to Sedona was short and sweet, but was just enough to get a taste of what the area has to offer. We both agreed if the sun wasn’t going to set, we would’ve gone straight to our next hike! There are so many trails to try out.

Next time we visit, we’re going to stay a night or two in Sedona and spend a couple days hiking from morning to sundown. It’s so much fun!!

Allison January 29, 2012

I love all your trip recaps! They make me want to go hiking! As much as I love running, I love hiking as much. Looks like you guys had fun. :)

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming January 29, 2012

It looks so magnificent! Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pictures!

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 29, 2012

Good for you to realize your fear and then not let it deter you from the challenge! I have very similar reactions to you – right off the bat I’ll say I can’t but my husband often pushes me on and I am so glad once I get through it!

PS – you are looking fabulous! Your skin is absolutely glowing in the video!

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli January 29, 2012

Hey Angela, just a quick question…did you find the trails fairly easy to follow and marked really well? I’m headed to AZ next week and hoping to do some hiking with my boyfriend, but my concern is getting lost lol

btw – nice hiking earrings once again they look lovely :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

thanks Ali ;)
We found Cathedral Rock very easy to follow as it was marked with these stone “towers” encased in wire mesh. Camelback was a bit more difficult to follow, however it was so busy we just followed the others! Have fun!

Clair January 29, 2012

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! (The food AND the scenery AND you!)

Love that you left the penny for someone else. =)

Andrea January 29, 2012

How lucky that you were able to capture such beautiful pictures and get to keep them forever! Isn’t the Earth just breathtaking?

Loved the video, you are so beautiful! :)

Mae January 29, 2012

The photos are awesome. You look great, and sometimes I forget you’re Canadian until I hear your pronunciation of words like “about.” :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

About sounds totally normal to me! ;)

Rachel B January 29, 2012

you are too funny, i loved the “Hi ho hi ho its off to the bar we go”.. my kind of girl!! My boyfriend and I climbed Whiteface and Esther today, two of the Adirondack high peaks in New York. At the summit there is a lodge and weather station thats open in the summer time, but we were in a giant windy snow cloud at the top today. Luckily we got some beautiful snowy views on the way up. I love hiking together, he always encourages me to push myself all the way to the top and knows when to let me be my stubborn self to get through tricky spots on my own and when to offer a boost or a hand when I need it to keep me positive and excited. Looks like you and Eric are the same way :) glad you had a blast!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

Hey Rachel, I can relate to that so much. Hiking wouldn`t be the same without a buddy to encourage you along.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 29, 2012

Wow, Cathedral Rock and Sedona look amazing!!! And I can’t wait to see you re-create the chia crackers… if you need a tester you know where to find me. ;)

Gabby January 29, 2012

Great job on tackling that mountain! I don’t think I’ve commented before but I’ve been reading your blog for months and just love it! I make your recipes all the time. My favorites are pumpkin maple baked bean casserole and pumpkin pie brownie cupcakes- although tonight I finally made your creamy avocado pasta, and it’s definitely going to become a go-to meal!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

Thank you Gabby, I`m happy to hear you are enjoying the recipes!

Grace - Love Your Healthy Life January 29, 2012

Gorgeous photos as always, Angela! You’ve inspired me to reconsider my fear of climbing and hiking on rocks! How is your book coming? I’m looking forward to having your amazing recipes all in one place : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

Thanks Grace. I never considered myself someone who would enjoy climbing anything, so I hope you discover a love for it too.
I hope to report news about the book soon by the way, thanks for asking!

'Dee @ 'Dee's Garret January 29, 2012

I’ve enjoyed reading your Arizona posts, Angela — just had to say “good for you” for pushing through the anxiety to tackle those hikes. Though I’ve never dealt with anxiety personally, people whom I love have, so I get it. Always rooting for you!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

Hey Dee, Thank you for your encouragement. I always find it awesome when others are understanding of anxiety even when not having struggled with it personally.

Kara January 29, 2012

Angela – Beautiful pictures! I recently read “Crazy, Sexy, Diet” and was turned on to your blog by a friend about the same time. I have recently gone Vegan and have made so many of your recipes. Avocado Pasta, Easy Tomato Basil Cream Pasta, Enchiladas with Avocado Cilantro Cream Sauce, Red Quinoa and Black Bean Veggie Salad, the Fries that changed your life :)…Oh my word, they are ALL so divine. Thank you so much for your inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2012

Hey Kara, Thank you for your kind words! I adore CSD! Kris’s first book was my inspiration to start making green monsters. I also loved her CSD TLC show that was on for a while, did you ever see it?

Kara January 30, 2012

Me too…I love my Green Monsters!! I even have my husbanded addicted. I loved your comment about Kale in your veins equals an extra hour of sleep :) I never saw her TLC show but I’m sorry I missed it. I’m currently reading “Veganist” by Kathy Freston. Have you read any of her books?

Amanda January 29, 2012

Those views are absolutely incredible. When I moved from Boston to SF (and then back again a year later), I drove across the country (longest.drive.ever.) and I was amazed at how stunning the landscape is around there. There really are no words to describe it.

You look so happy in the photos. Good for you for conquering your anxiety! As you said, the hardest part really is just being willing to give it a try and take that first step.

Ali January 29, 2012

My husband and I vacationed in Sedona for a week in 2006 and loved it. We hiked 2 to 4 trails every day and found them breath taking. I don’t remember all the names of the trails without pulling out our guide books and photo albums but I do remember Cathedral Rock. The only break from hiking in Sedona was a trip mid-week to hike at the Grand Canyon. We hiked down to the plateau and back up. I couldn’t have gone any farther down and actually made it back up that day but someday I would love to hike all the way to the bottom.

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com January 29, 2012

Gorgeous!

Amber B January 29, 2012

We went to Sedona a couple of years ago and loved it. It is so beautiful! I wish we had hiked while we were there, but I was pretty pregnant so it probably would have been too much for me. Reading your posts though has made me want to make the trip again and do some serious hiking. Thanks for sharing!

Victoria January 29, 2012

Angela, so glad you enjoyed your brief visit here in Sedona. I live right on the other side of Cathedral Rock, where you were hiking. That trail hooks up with a couple of other trails and really you could spend all day up there. We often hike that trail and never get tired of Sedona’s beauty.

Sonia the mexigarian January 29, 2012

Iam so glad you got to see Sedona and cathedral rock. I visited several years ago with my mom, aunt, and Abeuela and we just loved it. Didn’t get to hike but it was an amazing experience all the same. Will do cathedral rock when I drag eEric out there.

Sonia the mexigarian January 29, 2012

Oh and I completely agree about the drive through Jerome. It is literally breath taking. My familia and I were in a huge van and we wondered if we would fit through the crazy narrow winding road. The views are worth it though ;) btw I hear the Jerome hotel was haunted.

Lori January 29, 2012

Northern Arizona is such a beautiful place. Me and my husband spent a week in Sedona for our honeymoon and loved it. Jerome was awesome and so unique as well. If you ever go to that area again go to the local brewers in the area. And you must must must take a 4×4 tour. You get to see so much more.

We live in San Antonio now but if a job opens up in Sedona we are probably moving, we loved it that much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2012

ah yes the jeep tours looked fun!

laura January 29, 2012

Sedona looks so beautiful! & looks like a lot of great hiking :)

Sara January 30, 2012

Aw, since you were staying in Phoenix you should’ve driven down to Rocky Point, Mexico to hit the beach! It’s only 4.5 hours away, totally safe, and gorgeous! I just got back home today and I can’t wait until the water warms up :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 30, 2012

Cathedral rock looks spectacular and good on you for pushing past your anxiety. I really struggle with anxiety at times, especially as I’m still getting over this eating disorder that looms over my head from time to time. I will definitely try and replace ‘I can’t’ with ‘I’ll try’ from now on. I do find that when I push past my fears that my confidence grows. We must do the things we think we cannot do….too right hey???

Megan January 30, 2012

Wow, that’s some awesome scenery!
P.S I was over on your recipage for the Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts. You’ve got 1/2 cup pastry flour listed in ingredients for the Cinnamon Sugar, I checked in the actual post because it seemed a little strange and it’s not there in that recipe so I thought i’d let you know : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2012

Thanks Megan! fixed :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 30, 2012

Sedona is great. SUCH a cool place and yes, so much to do, such a great vibe of the town, the trails, the natural beauty, one of the best places in AZ, I’d say.

The photos you took of the red rocks and cliffs are stunning, especially that last one and the sunset. So pretty!

And I’m happy for you that you DID it and climbed and hiked and are doing your thing :)

Hadley January 30, 2012

love your blog, and love your Sedona post!! Such a beautiful place, and for so many trails, it’s all so well marked!! Loved it there. Kep enjoying the hikes and the sunsets!

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 30, 2012

Hi Angela,

For some reason, I had never been that interested in going to Arizona…now I see what I have been missing!

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!

~Emily~

hannah alehandra January 30, 2012

So inspired that you overcame your anxiety once again! The views look gorgeous.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 30, 2012

Totally fun! I never thought of wanting to go to Arizona, but I do now! I’m so glad your having a great time!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2012

You’ve totally inspired me through your lastest two posts Angela! I’ve always had a fear of running a race, but reading these has helped give me the motivation to try one. I’m googling ones to sign up for right now! :D

Angela January 30, 2012

Good for you! I hope you do it. :) Let me know which one you end up doing as I want to do a couple in the area this year too.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2012

I think I want to do the 5 or 10K Run for Wells around Kilbride Park on May 26th. It’s for a great cause and it looks like a pretty place to run! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 30, 2012

What an amazing trip! I love the video! That climb looks straight up. Don’t worry, I’m that wife too when cliffs are involved! ;)

LizAshlee January 30, 2012

Thanks for sharing all your photos…I can’t wait to get out and hike more!! We went for a lovely 2 mi walk/jog yesterday on a nice trail in Fort Collins…loved it!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 30, 2012

beautiful pics! Love it :)

Sarah January 30, 2012

Stunning!
p.s. what benefits do chia seeds have? Thanks!

Jenny Baldwin January 30, 2012

Sarah this is a great link to read up on chia seeds…i put them in my protein shake every morning…couldn’t live without them :)

Kaila @ healthyhelper January 30, 2012

LOVE those beautiful arizona red rocks! SO stunning! That restaurant sounds amazing! I would have totally ordered the grilled cheese and tomato soup…one of my fave combos right there!!

Sarah January 30, 2012

Wow! I’m super jealous. This makes me want to hike SO bad. I climbed a mountain in Spain this summer and I didnt think I could do it but I persevered and made it to the top which was SO worth it in the end. The view from the top is the background on my computer and it reminds me that I can do anything I put my mind to. :) I really relate to how you deal with your anxiety. Its crazy how limiting it can be but then how freeing it can be when you realise it doesn’t have to control you. Thanks for the post!

Zoe January 30, 2012

Beautiful photos and a cute video of a part of the world I have never been to but hope to visit someday. I am amazed at how many vegan restaurants you find. maybe they are more common in the US and Canada than in England. i think I would have to go to London to find one. Looks like a great trip but now I want to see some more of your amazing cooking :-)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 30, 2012

Amazing pictures. Seems worlds away from your snowy Canada. Now I’m itching for a vacation.

Courtney January 30, 2012

OH MY GOD. So trying not to be a total creeper, I was hoping to run into you. My boyfriend, dog, and myself all went hiking in Sedona Friday as well, and we also ate at Chocolatree, one of our favorites! AND I had the Thai Rice Bowl….creepy?

Page 1 of 3123»