By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

IMG 1535 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Toto, we’re not in Ontario anymore.

We’re visiting the Phoenix area with my mom and John this week. It’s our first time in Arizona and we’re pumped to be here!

and a bit scared…

IMG 1526 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1528 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

We booked an evening flight, since it was our only option. It’s really strange waiting until almost 5pm to leave the house on the day of a flight! I actually started to go stir crazy waiting to leave.

IMG 1455 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

The flight was only 4.5 hours, but felt incredibly long due to some nasty turbulence. The plane kept dropping and dipping like crazy and I actually started to feel nauseous which never happens to me. At one point, I just closed my eyes, gripped Eric’s arm, and prayed I didn’t lose my dinner. The last 30 minutes ticked by in slow motion.

We arrived around 12:30am…sleepy, dazed, and hungry! Mom brought us some homemade vegan blueberry muffins and walnuts to save the day. I got my appetite back, miraculously.

IMG 1458 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

When we finally got to bed around 2:30am Toronto time I was so tired I couldn’t sleep for the life of me! Does that ever happen to you? If I get too tired, it’s actually harder for me to sleep. I passed the point of no return, so my body did the logical thing and stared at the ceiling for most of the night. Awesome.

A sunny, green breakfast helped with the 4 hour power nap.

IMG 1471 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I opened the fridge, saw some gorgeous raspberries and dark chocolate almond butter, and knew I had to make a chocolate raspberry Green Monster to save the day.

With fresh raspberries, banana, dark chocolate almond butter, almond milk, ice, and wait for it….Dinosaur kale! Yes, come to me my little kale.

IMG 1472 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Note: I just found out this dark chocolate almond butter is NOT vegan. I blame the sleep deprivation for that error! For a vegan version, try my homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Butter recipe!

Cover your ears, my mom said, this thing is small but loud!

IMG 1476 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1478 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1473 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1481 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

As I sipped my Green Monster, I could feel my tired, lifeless body revive itself almost instantly as kale pumped through my veins. I swear a GM is worth at least an extra hour of sleep!

IMG 1468 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1469 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I also had a whole wheat blueberry muffin with Earth Balance.

IMG 1482 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a herbal tea…because breakfast wouldn’t be the same without a hot drink.

IMG 1483 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Ok, make that two!

IMG 1489 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

My mom and I had a lovely chat over tea while the boys waited for the rental car.

Later on in the day, Eric and I stopped into Whole Foods to pick up some groceries. I picked up some brussels sprouts, red pepper, spaghetti, kale, blueberries, corn chips, salsa, asparagus, and some nori sheets, kombu and kelp granules that I’ve been looking for forever!

IMG 1490 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a fun salad!

IMG 1491 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Layered up for lunch.

IMG 1498 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising IMG 1499 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

IMG 1501 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

This will be the first thing I make when I’m on Canadian soil, mark my words.

Poured into a bowl.

IMG 1503 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and topped with orange ginger dressing and hummus. Blew. my. taste. buds. off.

IMG 1508 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I said I wouldn’t be able to eat the entire thing, but I was wrong.

Plump blueberries for dessert in this fun strainer/bowl duo.

IMG 1509 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

For dinner, we all pitched in and whipped up a yummy spread.

…featuring 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta!

IMG 1540 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1539 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be RisingIMG 1541 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

and a tomato-basil salad, sautéed asparagus, and roasted fingerling potatoes.

IMG 1542 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Oh, it was lovely.

IMG 1545 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

I had seconds of pasta and potatoes! My body just yearns for carbs when I’m tired.

IMG 1548 thumb   By The Time I Get To Phoenix, You’ll Be Rising

Now we’re watching American Idol, eating chocolate, and I’m trying to stay awake while typing this. I hope I’ve kept you up!

Beth January 23, 2012

I want every. single. food. morsel. posted!

Sana January 23, 2012

I love AZ, because of the grand canyon, will you be visiting??

angela January 23, 2012

We’re not sure yet, but hopefully we can make it there!

Anna January 23, 2012

I hope you enjoy Arizona! It is a totally different land and culture and there’s lots and lots of cacti and dirt! :)

Steph January 23, 2012

My friend thought she saw you in Whole Foods and she text me right away! I told her to go take a picture with you but we didnt think there’d be a reason you would be in AZ! We were wrong! We make lots of your recipes on Monday nights! Are you in town through the week? Come over and cook with us! :). -Steph

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

LOL omg that is hilarious!!! I wish she came up to me! I’ll shoot you an email. :)

Layne @ Sparkles and Sweat January 23, 2012

Maybe I am showing my lack of traveling here, but I cannot believe the size of that cactus!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

We couldn’t either :)

Pepper Dubois January 23, 2012

Hope u love your time here as much I love your posts.!! Must.Start.Green.Juices

xo
(in glendale az)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 23, 2012

What are you up to in AZ? Do you have relatives there? Enjoy! & I definitely recommend trying to make it to the Grand Canyon :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 23, 2012

You two are just jet-setting all over the place the last few months and that’s awesome. ENJOY it, enjoy your trip, and if you get sick of the desert, come back to San Diego and the beach :)

Erin January 23, 2012

I get too tired to sleep, too. It is the worst feeling! Glad the GM helped you feel better. PS: I made your butternut squash mac ‘n cheese yesterday for the first time and both my bf and I thought it was *amazing*. And, he loves actual cheese. Thank you!!!

angela January 23, 2012

I’m happy you both enjoyed it Erin!

Delia January 23, 2012

I can’t believe you are in AZ! I live in the Chandler area. I love your blog so much! I am slowly transitioning to a vegan lifestyle and you inspire me so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

Hey Delia, So awesome you live here…nice to meet you! Thanks for your kind words :)

Mandiee January 23, 2012

Your raspberry dark chocolate GM looks amazing! Do you remember approximately what you used? I just got some fresh raspberries at the store and would love to try it. Healthy food really does wonders to soothe an upset stomach and tired body. I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit! (&I look forward to you recreating that WF salad :D)

angela January 23, 2012

Hey Mandiee, I didn’t measure anything but probably used 1/2 cup raspberries, 1 spoonful almond butter, 1 large banana, 3 leaves kale, 1 cup or so almond milk, and ice. just a guess!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 23, 2012

WOW – All of your food today looked amazing! And I am in love with your white coat – so sharp and elegant looking! I always stick to black coats but white looks stunning!
Enjoy AZ!

angela January 23, 2012

Thank you Tasha! The only prob has been keeping it looking white. ;)

Alyssa January 23, 2012

I’ve been a loyal daily reader for probably over a year now and LOVE YOUR BLOG, I just haven’t commented. Way to stay healthy while you travel! That’s my biggest struggle… especially when there’s no health food stores nearby, or the people you are visiting eat the complete opposite foods and you can’t just whip something up in their kitchen! You should definitely try recreating that salad… I will be the first one to try it out! I always am looking for new salad recipes.

Speaking of new salads… I found a golden recipe you might like to try out: yumm bowls (served at Cafe Yumm! which is a chain in Northern Oregon). Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/wgiwp2 Vegan and meat lovers alike will scarf an entire bowl down AND want seconds. The kicker is in the sauce (almonds, chickpeas, garlic, lemon, curry, oil, and nutritional yeast)… it’s super easy, I think you would like it. If you look at my site, don’t let the pictures fool you, I am just not blessed with food photography skills haha.

Enjoy your trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

Thank you Alyssa! I will certainly check that out :) Thanks for your support with my blog too!

Sherala January 23, 2012

Welcome to Arizona! it’s been a little warmer than usual lately, but that is probably a welcome change for you. Hopefully, this hazy cloud cover will clear off tomorrow and you can enjoy some of our famous sunshine!

angela January 23, 2012

I see the sun out this morning, hopefully it stays :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 23, 2012

If you have time, I’d highly recommend the Camelback hike! :)

angela January 23, 2012

Thanks, I will look that up…we def. want to go hiking.

Jody January 23, 2012

right after your hike at Camelback, go to Tru Foods at the Biltmore. Amazing food and organic wines (you are on vacation, right?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

mm thanks!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 23, 2012

Looks like you are having a great time so far! All your food looks super yummy. I can’t get enough fresh berries at the moment. They are the best when the just pop in your mouth right?!?!? I miss whole foods so much…wish we got it here in sydney! Hope you sleep better tonight! xox

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 23, 2012

That salad sounds incredible! I can’t wait to hear your recipe for it.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and get some sleep soon!

~Emily~

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) January 23, 2012

I laughed out loud at this title when thought you were going to a yoga training a la Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 23, 2012

How fun! Do you have family there or are you renting some sort of condo? Either way, I love having a full kitchen when I go on vacation!

angela January 23, 2012

yup, we’re staying with my mom and John…cheap trip! heh

Katrina (gluten free gidget) January 23, 2012

Im going to Phoenix for work tomorrow, and have never been either! Cheers to new adventures!

hannah alehandra January 23, 2012

So jealous, looks like lots of fun! The potatoes in particular look delicious. I would have had seconds, too!

Lauren January 23, 2012

the whole foods salad looks so good! and so easy to make on your own, i’m sure yours will turn out even better! :)
Enjoy your time in Phoenix!! Sounds like it’s been quite relaxing and fun already!

Greta @ Staying Lost January 23, 2012

Your food looks delicious! I will definitely look for your salad recipe. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Rasha January 23, 2012

Hope you have a great time!

Small question though: I wasn’t aware that the dark chocolate almond was vegan :/ Did they change the ingredients?! I’d love to try it!!

angela January 23, 2012

Crap, I just checked and it’s not :( I thought it was!

Rasha January 23, 2012

Don’t worry, I was tricked by it too once!!!
I thought they had changed the ingredients.. Which they should!! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 23, 2012

Enjoy your trip! I can’t wait to read about your adventures! Sneak in a nap when you can. ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 23, 2012

Agh I can’t stand turbulence either! Over the Christmas holidays our flight from London to Milan was really turbulent and I felt so so sick. On the bright side though, it looks like you’ve got tons of ridiculously tasty food now! Let me know when you run out of kelp granules – I can get you plenty from the health food store by my house! :)

LizAshlee January 23, 2012

What a trek…and a lovely time to be with your family!

Jennifer January 23, 2012

I laughed at the brussel sprouts! I can hear Dad already with that one. Have fun.

angela January 23, 2012

heh I bought them just for him!

Stacey January 23, 2012

Welcome to Arizona. It’s supposed to be a lovely except maybe tomorrow. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it though coming from the cold. Definitely hike Cameback if you get the chance. Obviously the grand canyon if you have the time to go all the way up there, if not maybe just take in a shorter drive to Sedona. Beautiful. Enjoy our city!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 23, 2012

how cool! Hmm that GM sounds great :)

katie@ KatieDid January 23, 2012

Well you must be enjoying that warm weather compared to home! Glad you’re having a fun time with family, enjoy your stay!

Clair January 23, 2012

I totally hear you on waiting for a flight. I get the same way!

All the food looks amazing…and how sweet of your mom to greet you with healthy food. Doesn’t that make a trip so much better?

Terry January 23, 2012

Great post! I have been making the green monster smoothie for 2 months now every morning since I came across your blog. We have a condo in Puerto Vallarta and were there over Christmas. I promptly picked up all ingredients at a local market and made green smoothies for my partner, our friend and myself every morning. It’s nice to see others keep their routine going strong too, even when traveling. Thanks for the great recipes and posts!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

Nice work! :) I love having access to a kitchen while traveling…makes things so much easier.

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 23, 2012

Oooo! Visit me, visit me! I’m in AZ too :)
If you go to the grand canyon I can’t wait for the post about it. Although I live in AZ I have never gone :(

Hope you have a great time and hopefully your flight is better on the way home

PS: if you go to the Scottsdale mall, lululemon is there! ;)

Stacey O January 23, 2012

Enjoy Arizona! I’ve never been there. All that food looked delicious!!! Yum!

Cheyenne January 23, 2012

Welcome to a little place we call home, good old Phoenix :) Hope you have a fantastic stay!

Conley January 23, 2012

If youre near Tempe/Scottsdale or Phoenix, I HIGHLY suggest checking out “Green” and “Nami” – 100% vegan comfort food, and Nami is their bakery which offers things like chocolate cake, cookies, brownies, and even doughnuts! At the very least, try a “tSoynami” – a vegan version of a DQ Blizzard (soft serve with various mix-ins). Offered at both of their locations and they are absolutely to die for!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

Thanks I will look it up!

Elle January 23, 2012

Green is awesome, and so is Nourish in Scottsdale. And if you happen to go to Biltmore Fashion Park, definitely stop at True Foods Kitchen! Enjoy your visit to AZ :)

Kristin January 28, 2012

I completely second this, best stuff known to man. My favorite is the PB and Chocolate tsoynami, oh my I might be drooling right now.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 23, 2012

Whole Foods must be all over Pinterest – those salads in a jar are everywhere!

angela January 23, 2012

I know..they are always on the trends heh

Erin January 23, 2012

Do you know what model that blender is? I’ve been looking for a reasonably-priced blender that is capable of making green smoothies without leaving little kale or spinach shreds, haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2012

hehe it’s a Black & Decker I think…I wouldn’t say that it pulverized the kale completely though. I’ve heard Oster brand for $40 is rated really well so you might want to check that out!

Mara January 23, 2012

Crazy! I’ll be there next month joining my husband after he wraps up with a work meeting. Looking forward to any recommendations there. Shaker salads from WF rock! Try the one with quinoa (tomato salsa dressing). They are so good I made my own last night. Must try the one you had. Seen it but haven’t tried yet:-)
Enjoy Arizona!

Heather January 24, 2012

Try Dr Weil’s True Food restaurant. Organic, local, anti inflammatory and yummy. It is in Scotsdale.

Page 1 of 41234»