Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

IMG 6188   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Chocolate.

PMS.

Mood swings.

Cravings.

Sore boobs.

Tearing up over random TV shows (example: Redemption Inc).

Chocolate.

Uncontrollable yawning.

Random anger.

Healthier chocolate pudding.

IMG 6177   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I am a woman, hear me roar!

This is the pudding I make when I feel like inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

IMG 6183   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

It lets me return to my normal self, at least for now…

My chocolate cravings are satisfied and I feel like a million bucks, minus the sore boobs, mood swings, and yawning of course.

IMG 6173   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I wouldn’t say that it’s for everyone though; if you aren’t into soaked chia seeds (and their slim-factor) you might not like this pudding. You could try adding rolled oats for a chewier texture and do more of a vegan overnight oats recipe if that floats your boat. I added in a couple tablespoons of oats at the last minute.

Top it with a bit of shaved dark chocolate on top…and it’s pretty much my favourite snack going. I also love it heated up with a spoonful of coconut cream stirred in! Want to thicken it up? Mash in a banana just before serving.

IMG 6179   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

I make this pudding when I want something indulgent tasting, but don’t feel like eating a ton of sugar. It satisfies and energizes me while letting me get on with my day. I love mixing carob powder and cocoa powder for a more complex chocolate flavour. The carob powder also adds a natural sweetness that I love. If you don’t have carob, I suggest using a bit more cocoa powder and sweetener since it will be less sweet without the carob. Serve cold or heated up!

Adapted from Repair and Recover Chia Pudding

Print this recipe

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 & 1/4 cup to 1 & 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed to thin out
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp carob flour/powder (I buy it at Bulk Barn)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Shaved chocolate for garnish (optional)

1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (starting with 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk) until the clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours, until thick or overnight. Stir well, add more milk if desired to achieve the thickness you desire, and serve chilled. Alternatively you can heat in the microwave and serve it warm. It’s nice with a spoonful of coconut cream mixed in or a mashed banana too.

Nutritional Info: (per serving, without shaved chocolate): 197 kcals, 12 grams fat (healthy fat from chia/almond), 26 grams carbs, 15 grams fibre, 9 grams sugar, 8 grams protein.

Also try Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait.

IMG 6182   Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

This morning, I enjoyed heated-up chocolate pudding and a breakfast cookie.

I should be a lot nicer today.

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 11, 2012

This looks amazing! I have all the ingredients except carob flour…going to store today! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 11, 2012

Oh my, this looks divine! And anything that’ll help you forget it’s time for Aunt Flo’s visit is good with me! Between that and the breakfast cookie, you should be sweet as pie today! :-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012

Um, that is me RIGHT NOW, sore boobs and all. I’ll be making this. And the best part is that my husband won’t want any at all. He hates chia seeds. :)

haha Eric won’t “do” soaked chia either…all mine!! muahuha

Jasper Naomi January 11, 2012

haha me tOO!

Carrie January 15, 2012

LOL! In our house, my husband LOVES chia seeds and I’m a wimp about them. I am definitely going to try this recipe though and see if it helps me embrace the chia trend! They are so darn good for you. :)

Laura January 11, 2012

Good to know I’m not the only one who inhales (or wants to) bags of chocolate chips! Will definitely give this a try!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 11, 2012

I mean… I would NEVER say no to chocolate in my breakfast. Gina @ Choosing Raw would approve.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

She’s a girl after my heart!

Beth - Tasty Yummies January 11, 2012

Ha – this post is AMAZING! I hear ya on it all!

YUM! I made my first batch of chia pudding earlier this week and I am already in love with it. I have already been dreaming up a chocolate version. This looks amazing and I can always get behind chocolate for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

Emily January 11, 2012

This sounds so good! Next time I find myself fantasizing about a Bounty bar (do you have those over there? coconut covered in chocolate basically) I think I will make this, but with homemade coconut milk! Thanks for the inspiration and problem solving ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

And a sprinkle of sweetened coconut on top would be incredible :)

lindsey January 12, 2012

OMG YES.

Tricia January 11, 2012

This looks fab. For those who can tolerate chocolate (ha!), I’d like to suggest using raw cacao powder in place of the cocoa and carob. (I’m not keen on carob). Cacao, which is the raw form of cocoa, has all the punch of chocolate and is loaded with fiber and some good minerals. I buy Fair Trade online….Navitas brand. (I also use lots of it it in my vegan chili. Gives a nice deep flavor). Hope my suggestion doesn’t offend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

Great idea! I’ve been meaning to grind up my cocoa nibs and try it. I heard the flavour is really intense.

Greta January 11, 2012

That looks delicious! Personally, I like the taste of soaked chia seeds, but I wonder if you could do something with ground flax instead of chia seeds to make it less “slimy”?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

I would guess that ground flax would get pretty slimy as well (think flax egg texture), but I find adding in some rolled oats helps with the texture and gives it a bit of a chewiness.

Brittany January 11, 2012

I really want to start eating chia seeds! (never tried them!!) Do you buy them in bulk at Bulk Barn as well or would you recommend getting a bigger package somewhere else?

Amanda January 11, 2012

haha I love that last line: “I should be a lot nicer today.” I can very much relate to that. It’s amazing what some chocolate can do for a girl!

I don’t have any carob powder on hand…do you think I could try using all cocoa powder instead? I kind of want to make this asap. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

You can omit the carob, but since it won’t be as sweet, you will need to add more sweetener (the carob naturally sweetens it up)

Amanda January 11, 2012

Good to know. Thanks!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 11, 2012

Haha nothing like chocolate pudding to cure sore boobs!! :) I have been adding chia seeds to my smoothies lately after totally forgetting I had a bag in the kitchen and I’m loving the texture that they create. Pudding might be up next! Happy Wednesday Ange!

Kat January 11, 2012

I’m totally experiencing all those symptoms and the cravings as we speak…. probably why my crock pot oats are chocolate flavored this week! Maybe why I also have the urge to chop my hair! Did you ever get yours cut?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

Yea I got about 5 inches off in November!

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 11, 2012

Hahaha – it’s crazy how some decadent chocolately treat can make a woman’s day!!! This looks awesome – I’m going to try to get my hands on some of carob powder next time I’m at the Bulk Barn!

jemiller January 11, 2012

Can I use a different kind of flour if I don’t have carob? Flax? Pastry? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

I would just use a bit more cocoa powder to taste and then you’d prob have to increase the sweetener since the carob naturally makes it sweeter. enjoy!

Alexandra January 11, 2012

I basically ate a bag of chocolate chips yesterday… at least I have this recipe for tonight when further cravings kick in! :P Looks incredible, thanks Ang!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 11, 2012

Pinned! Thanks for the reminder that I need to make chia pudding soon. Maybe I’ll make this recipe but replace some of the almond milk with brewed coffee >;)

Amy January 11, 2012

I love chia puddings and this is amazing! Tip for anyone who doesn’t like slimy chia-texture (think tapioca)- you can always blend it right before you eat it! makes it nice and smooth :)

Awesome tip!

Danielle January 11, 2012

thank you Amy! I’ve tried the basic chia pudding (i think from the Go Raw website) and….well….those chia seeds have just been sitting in my cupboard ever since! I probably would have given this chocolate version ago anyway, but with this tip, definitely!

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 11, 2012

Come to mama! That is all I have to say about that…..

I see so many recipes I want to make and when I want to make a recipe I NEED to make them now, but we leave for Miami today for 9 days and I can’t make them in the hotel…or can I???? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I’m in love with chocolate…..its a crime.

xxoo

Sarah with Veggie Kids January 11, 2012

Looks so good! I have to tell you I made your Oh Mega Carrot Cake BFast Cookies last night for my kids to have this morning and packed some for my friends while we hike. They turned out so great!!! And they smelled so good too. Great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

So glad you enjoyed them!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon January 11, 2012

This looks SO GOOD!

I’ve been going through a super chocolate monster phase…aka I’ve turned into a chocolate monster..this could be just what I need to wean myself off of the stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 11, 2012

Yup, I need this like now! I have been in that PMS state all week. I have been tearing up over everything, can’t focus, moody… yup I need this!

Brandina January 11, 2012

Angela, there couldn’t have been a better time for you to post this, for I am currently suffering from the unfortunate side affects of womanhood. This pudding would totally make my day, and probably make my boyfriend’s and son’s days as well (can’t do much complaining when I’m too busy shoveling CHOCOLATE in my mouth, now, can I?)

I’m going to try this one tonight. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

bahaha that made me laugh

Dana January 11, 2012

This looks sooo good! I’ve never heard of carob flour, but I may need to go hunt some down… Do you think any other type of flour/powder could be used instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

carob is most similar to cocoa powder (and not “normal” flours like all purpose), so you can just omit it, but you will probably have to add a bit more sweetener since the carob naturally sweetens the pudding.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 11, 2012

I have a large tub of carob powder and never know what to do with it… now there’s a use!

I’ve tried a similar method with pumpkin+almond milk, and it created a nice pumpkin pudding. =)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 11, 2012

Yum! That breakfast combo sounds amazing!

Andrea January 11, 2012

Yum! Looks delicious! I’ll have to hunt down some carob flour… I like Amy’s idea above of blending it, too. I’ll try both! ;-)

Anne January 11, 2012

I really want to make this! But what do you mean by “soaked” chia seeds?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

Oh nothing fancy, I just mean when mixing the chia seeds with milk or water to create the “chia gel” or pudding consistency :) The chia seeds absorb up to 9 times their volume!

Sonia The Mexigarian January 11, 2012

lol!! you must have picked up my my energy because i am so going to make one of these suckers when i get home. chcolate, random anger and tears, yeah, got it all. husband and dad have been getting the brunt of it. this pudding should pacify the beast. thanks :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 11, 2012

Oh- this sounds WONDERFUL (and so timely for me- if you know what I mean). And I’ve never even heard of Carob powder, but I love carob chips!
I’ve been fighting the urge to down a bag of Almond Dream chocolate chips all week- chocolate is the only thing that I crave during those special days of the month. Why is that?!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 11, 2012

I did one like this that I LOVED for a PMS brekkie. I used protein powder and part of a mushed banana to sweetened it in stead though. Bet that cacao in it was good – I love it’s rich taste.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

I’m going to try banana too. I bet it thickens it up nicely!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb January 11, 2012

i would like to eat that through my computer screen please. thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012

if you figure out how…let me know ;)

Ashley Dodge January 11, 2012

This looks fabulous- absolutely what I think I would love. You always have such amazing recipes! I still haven’t tried chia seeds- but I’ve been planning too, along with my mom who is diabetic and says chia seeds might help to even better stabilize her blood sugar!
And chocolate is always the perfect snack! :)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) January 11, 2012

I love chocolate chia pudding. I like to blend mine to make the texture a little smoother, maybe that would win over the people who don’t like the soaked chia texture? I also add a pinch of cayenne, I love the chocolate and spice combo.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 11, 2012

try pmsing and breastfeeding at the same time. sore boobs don’t even begin to cover it.

Jasper Naomi January 11, 2012

throw some extra almond milk plus a bit of RAW protein powder and this baby could last my stomach all the day long…although with the blessings of being a lady, I’m sure THAT would even “tick” me off too, oh dear….every month…every month ;)

thanks for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it Angela! every time you post something with those lovely little seeds all gelatinous that I can see through the glass simply makes me squirm with delight! why is that!? a true foodie weirdo! – jasper naomi

Sonya January 11, 2012

This is right up my alley!! I will be making this tonight! Thanks!

Ashley F. January 11, 2012

Must. Make. This. Now.

That is all. :)

Joanna January 11, 2012

Haha great post! I need a recipe like this in my life. Thanks :)

Vicki January 11, 2012

I NEED THIS NOOOOWWWWW!!!!!

Phyllis May 7, 2013

A thought – I’m not even sure that it’s healthy to eat so many chia
seeds at one shot! They are so concentrated in nutritional value and bulk, it isn’t natural for the the body to having to deal with all that at one time, and it is mostly used as a supplement rather than the basis for a food. What I did is divide it between shot glasses, so that it’s a small snack rather than a dessert. Better to be safe than sorry – too much of a good thing is not good either!

Page 1 of 512345»