Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

IMG_6188

Chocolate.

PMS.

Mood swings.

Cravings.

Sore boobs.

Tearing up over random TV shows (example: Redemption Inc).

Chocolate.

Uncontrollable yawning.

Random anger.

Healthier chocolate pudding.

IMG_6177

I am a woman, hear me roar!

This is the pudding I make when I feel like inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

IMG_6183

It lets me return to my normal self, at least for now…

My chocolate cravings are satisfied and I feel like a million bucks, minus the sore boobs, mood swings, and yawning of course.

IMG_6173

I wouldn’t say that it’s for everyone though; if you aren’t into soaked chia seeds (and their slim-factor) you might not like this pudding. You could try adding rolled oats for a chewier texture and do more of a vegan overnight oats recipe if that floats your boat. I added in a couple tablespoons of oats at the last minute.

Top it with a bit of shaved dark chocolate on top…and it’s pretty much my favourite snack going. I also love it heated up with a spoonful of coconut cream stirred in! Want to thicken it up? Mash in a banana just before serving.

IMG_6179

4.5 from 4 reviews

Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, soy-free

By

I make this pudding when I want something indulgent tasting, but don’t feel like eating a ton of sugar. It satisfies and energizes me while letting me get on with my day. I love mixing carob powder and cocoa powder for a more complex chocolate flavour. The carob powder also adds a natural sweetness that I love. If you don’t have carob, I suggest using a bit more cocoa powder and sweetener since it will be less sweet without the carob. Serve cold or heated up!

Adapted from Repair and Recover Chia Pudding

Yield
2 servings
Prep time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 & 1/4 cup to 1 & 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed to thin out
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp carob flour/powder (I buy it at Bulk Barn)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Shaved chocolate for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (starting with 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk) until the clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours, until thick or overnight. Stir well, add more milk if desired to achieve the thickness you desire, and serve chilled. Alternatively you can heat in the microwave and serve it warm. It’s nice with a spoonful of coconut cream mixed in or a mashed banana too.
197 calories12 grams15 grams8 grams

Also try Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait.
IMG_6182

This morning, I enjoyed heated-up chocolate pudding and a breakfast cookie.

I should be a lot nicer today.

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

This looks amazing! I have all the ingredients except carob flour…going to store today! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

Oh my, this looks divine! And anything that’ll help you forget it’s time for Aunt Flo’s visit is good with me! Between that and the breakfast cookie, you should be sweet as pie today! :-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

Um, that is me RIGHT NOW, sore boobs and all. I’ll be making this. And the best part is that my husband won’t want any at all. He hates chia seeds. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

haha Eric won’t “do” soaked chia either…all mine!! muahuha

Jasper Naomi January 11, 2012 at 11:36 am

haha me tOO!

Carrie January 15, 2012 at 9:54 pm

LOL! In our house, my husband LOVES chia seeds and I’m a wimp about them. I am definitely going to try this recipe though and see if it helps me embrace the chia trend! They are so darn good for you. :)

Laura January 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

Good to know I’m not the only one who inhales (or wants to) bags of chocolate chips! Will definitely give this a try!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

I mean… I would NEVER say no to chocolate in my breakfast. Gina @ Choosing Raw would approve.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

She’s a girl after my heart!

Beth - Tasty Yummies January 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ha – this post is AMAZING! I hear ya on it all!

YUM! I made my first batch of chia pudding earlier this week and I am already in love with it. I have already been dreaming up a chocolate version. This looks amazing and I can always get behind chocolate for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

Emily January 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

This sounds so good! Next time I find myself fantasizing about a Bounty bar (do you have those over there? coconut covered in chocolate basically) I think I will make this, but with homemade coconut milk! Thanks for the inspiration and problem solving ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 10:30 am

And a sprinkle of sweetened coconut on top would be incredible :)

lindsey January 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

OMG YES.

Tricia January 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

This looks fab. For those who can tolerate chocolate (ha!), I’d like to suggest using raw cacao powder in place of the cocoa and carob. (I’m not keen on carob). Cacao, which is the raw form of cocoa, has all the punch of chocolate and is loaded with fiber and some good minerals. I buy Fair Trade online….Navitas brand. (I also use lots of it it in my vegan chili. Gives a nice deep flavor). Hope my suggestion doesn’t offend.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Great idea! I’ve been meaning to grind up my cocoa nibs and try it. I heard the flavour is really intense.

Greta January 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

That looks delicious! Personally, I like the taste of soaked chia seeds, but I wonder if you could do something with ground flax instead of chia seeds to make it less “slimy”?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 10:31 am

I would guess that ground flax would get pretty slimy as well (think flax egg texture), but I find adding in some rolled oats helps with the texture and gives it a bit of a chewiness.

Brittany January 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

I really want to start eating chia seeds! (never tried them!!) Do you buy them in bulk at Bulk Barn as well or would you recommend getting a bigger package somewhere else?

Amanda January 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

haha I love that last line: “I should be a lot nicer today.” I can very much relate to that. It’s amazing what some chocolate can do for a girl!

I don’t have any carob powder on hand…do you think I could try using all cocoa powder instead? I kind of want to make this asap. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

You can omit the carob, but since it won’t be as sweet, you will need to add more sweetener (the carob naturally sweetens it up)

Amanda January 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Good to know. Thanks!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

Haha nothing like chocolate pudding to cure sore boobs!! :) I have been adding chia seeds to my smoothies lately after totally forgetting I had a bag in the kitchen and I’m loving the texture that they create. Pudding might be up next! Happy Wednesday Ange!

Kat January 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m totally experiencing all those symptoms and the cravings as we speak…. probably why my crock pot oats are chocolate flavored this week! Maybe why I also have the urge to chop my hair! Did you ever get yours cut?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yea I got about 5 inches off in November!

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hahaha – it’s crazy how some decadent chocolately treat can make a woman’s day!!! This looks awesome – I’m going to try to get my hands on some of carob powder next time I’m at the Bulk Barn!

jemiller January 11, 2012 at 10:49 am

Can I use a different kind of flour if I don’t have carob? Flax? Pastry? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I would just use a bit more cocoa powder to taste and then you’d prob have to increase the sweetener since the carob naturally makes it sweeter. enjoy!

Alexandra January 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

I basically ate a bag of chocolate chips yesterday… at least I have this recipe for tonight when further cravings kick in! :P Looks incredible, thanks Ang!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

Pinned! Thanks for the reminder that I need to make chia pudding soon. Maybe I’ll make this recipe but replace some of the almond milk with brewed coffee >;)

Amy January 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love chia puddings and this is amazing! Tip for anyone who doesn’t like slimy chia-texture (think tapioca)- you can always blend it right before you eat it! makes it nice and smooth :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

Awesome tip!

Danielle January 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

thank you Amy! I’ve tried the basic chia pudding (i think from the Go Raw website) and….well….those chia seeds have just been sitting in my cupboard ever since! I probably would have given this chocolate version ago anyway, but with this tip, definitely!

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

Come to mama! That is all I have to say about that…..

I see so many recipes I want to make and when I want to make a recipe I NEED to make them now, but we leave for Miami today for 9 days and I can’t make them in the hotel…or can I???? Hmmmmmmmmmm

I’m in love with chocolate…..its a crime.

xxoo

Sarah with Veggie Kids January 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

Looks so good! I have to tell you I made your Oh Mega Carrot Cake BFast Cookies last night for my kids to have this morning and packed some for my friends while we hike. They turned out so great!!! And they smelled so good too. Great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon January 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

This looks SO GOOD!

I’ve been going through a super chocolate monster phase…aka I’ve turned into a chocolate monster..this could be just what I need to wean myself off of the stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

Yup, I need this like now! I have been in that PMS state all week. I have been tearing up over everything, can’t focus, moody… yup I need this!

Brandina January 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

Angela, there couldn’t have been a better time for you to post this, for I am currently suffering from the unfortunate side affects of womanhood. This pudding would totally make my day, and probably make my boyfriend’s and son’s days as well (can’t do much complaining when I’m too busy shoveling CHOCOLATE in my mouth, now, can I?)

I’m going to try this one tonight. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

bahaha that made me laugh

Dana January 11, 2012 at 11:01 am

This looks sooo good! I’ve never heard of carob flour, but I may need to go hunt some down… Do you think any other type of flour/powder could be used instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

carob is most similar to cocoa powder (and not “normal” flours like all purpose), so you can just omit it, but you will probably have to add a bit more sweetener since the carob naturally sweetens the pudding.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) January 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

I have a large tub of carob powder and never know what to do with it… now there’s a use!

I’ve tried a similar method with pumpkin+almond milk, and it created a nice pumpkin pudding. =)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods January 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yum! That breakfast combo sounds amazing!

Andrea January 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

Yum! Looks delicious! I’ll have to hunt down some carob flour… I like Amy’s idea above of blending it, too. I’ll try both! ;-)

Anne January 11, 2012 at 11:14 am

I really want to make this! But what do you mean by “soaked” chia seeds?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

Oh nothing fancy, I just mean when mixing the chia seeds with milk or water to create the “chia gel” or pudding consistency :) The chia seeds absorb up to 9 times their volume!

Sonia The Mexigarian January 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

lol!! you must have picked up my my energy because i am so going to make one of these suckers when i get home. chcolate, random anger and tears, yeah, got it all. husband and dad have been getting the brunt of it. this pudding should pacify the beast. thanks :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

Oh- this sounds WONDERFUL (and so timely for me- if you know what I mean). And I’ve never even heard of Carob powder, but I love carob chips!
I’ve been fighting the urge to down a bag of Almond Dream chocolate chips all week- chocolate is the only thing that I crave during those special days of the month. Why is that?!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

I did one like this that I LOVED for a PMS brekkie. I used protein powder and part of a mushed banana to sweetened it in stead though. Bet that cacao in it was good – I love it’s rich taste.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 11:29 am

I’m going to try banana too. I bet it thickens it up nicely!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb January 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

i would like to eat that through my computer screen please. thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

if you figure out how…let me know ;)

Ashley Dodge January 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

This looks fabulous- absolutely what I think I would love. You always have such amazing recipes! I still haven’t tried chia seeds- but I’ve been planning too, along with my mom who is diabetic and says chia seeds might help to even better stabilize her blood sugar!
And chocolate is always the perfect snack! :)

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) January 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love chocolate chia pudding. I like to blend mine to make the texture a little smoother, maybe that would win over the people who don’t like the soaked chia texture? I also add a pinch of cayenne, I love the chocolate and spice combo.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 11, 2012 at 11:38 am

try pmsing and breastfeeding at the same time. sore boobs don’t even begin to cover it.

Jasper Naomi January 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

throw some extra almond milk plus a bit of RAW protein powder and this baby could last my stomach all the day long…although with the blessings of being a lady, I’m sure THAT would even “tick” me off too, oh dear….every month…every month ;)

thanks for the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love it Angela! every time you post something with those lovely little seeds all gelatinous that I can see through the glass simply makes me squirm with delight! why is that!? a true foodie weirdo! – jasper naomi

Sonya January 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

This is right up my alley!! I will be making this tonight! Thanks!

Ashley F. January 11, 2012 at 11:50 am

Must. Make. This. Now.

That is all. :)

Joanna January 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

Haha great post! I need a recipe like this in my life. Thanks :)

Vicki January 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

I NEED THIS NOOOOWWWWW!!!!!

Phyllis May 7, 2013 at 2:08 am

A thought – I’m not even sure that it’s healthy to eat so many chia
seeds at one shot! They are so concentrated in nutritional value and bulk, it isn’t natural for the the body to having to deal with all that at one time, and it is mostly used as a supplement rather than the basis for a food. What I did is divide it between shot glasses, so that it’s a small snack rather than a dessert. Better to be safe than sorry – too much of a good thing is not good either!

Shelley January 11, 2012 at 11:59 am

OMG !!! Just made this recipe and it’s starting to get thick already which is really, really good ’cause this is a really, really BIG PMS emergency !!! Why is it always worse in the winter?
Made my pudding with 2 T cocoa and 2 T maple syrup because I didn’t have any carob and it turned out fine, and like I said before…this is an emergency. I need to be nice today !!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

lol ;)

amanda January 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

i am right there with you on all the symptoms! i’ll have to make this and maybe i’ll be nicer too! ;)

Wendy January 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Any chance you’ll try a version with peanut (or other nut) butter soon? Can’t wait to try this version later.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

great idea :)

Sheesh January 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm

This looks AWESOME! Def going to make this. Kind of reminds me of a chocolate tapioca pudding, mmmmmmm. Thanks!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com January 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I’m just mad I’m not at home right now to make this. My PMS is raging today and I want to eat everything in sight – including as much chocolate as I can get my hands on! Will definitely be making this tonight!

Mike Lieberman January 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I don’t have sore boobs and that looks mad good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

hah that’s probably a good thing!

Andrea January 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I swear I have been PMSing for 2 weeks, Just whipped this up and it is now chilling in the fridge, can’t wait to try it!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I love how utterly thick!! this is. Almost like the density of a piece of really thick cheesecake, with the texture/flavor of chia seeds. But I love thick and dense desserts like dense brownies and your pudding is tempting. I haven’t made chia pudding in like….2 years! but this makes me wanna get those seeds down from the dusty cupboard shelf.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I have to get used to chia – I tried it in Whole Foods once and it was just too slimy for my liking, but it is something I could probably make myself get used to based on how good it is for me! And if I do then this recipe would be the first thing I’d try – love healthy indulgences!

Katrina Brush January 11, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Love this recipe. Do you have a favorite brand of cacao powder?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 10:00 am

I don’t have any cocoa powder, but I do ocasionally use Navita’s Naturals Cocoa nibs. I think you can grind those into a powder?

Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious January 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Angela. I have been eating coconut chia pudding everyday since my New Year’s Resolutions. I think I have become a bit obsessed with chia in everything. This is a perfect PMS pudding. Great recipe!

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli January 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Oh I SO needed this last night…when I was eating chocolate chips in bed lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

haha that happens to the best of us sometimes!

Karen January 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Loved this narrative :)

kelly January 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Just discovered you:) Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

thanks kelly :)

Julia January 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I’m going to make this tonight, for dinner? Maybe.

Amber K January 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I don’t know how I’d feel about the slimy chia seeds, but a whole bowl of chocolate seems perfect to me!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I probably would inhale this, and THEN a bag of chocolate chips, but at least I could say I tried my best to resist. And also got some nutrition in first! =)

Heidi @ Food Doodles January 11, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love chocolate chia pudding, but it usually just looks like goo, you make it look beautiful :D I love that you use some carob in it – I’m going to have to try that next time.

Jess January 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thank you for this recipe! My hormones are doing a number on me today—I totally just made a batch and put it in the fridge to have for a snack later.

hannah alehandra January 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I’d love to try this! Havn’t had soaked chia seeds before, but it looks delicious. I usually have no issue with slimey foods haha. Your recipes are just the best, Angela :) Much love, from your English follower.

Beth January 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm

That looks like a much healthier alternative to the bag of dairy-free chocolate chips I DID inhale last week….. That and the vegan peppermint-dark chocolate bars I found on sale at Whole Foods. What is it about chocolate and PMS?!

Antonia January 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm

It’s amazing how you can turn soaked chia seeds into a pudding I know I couldn’t resist. To bad I don’t have any chia seeds at the moment, I’d love to try the pudding immediately.

Lauren January 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I would not be a fan of this due to the chia seeds, but boy oh boy, do I understand pms! I was pmsing soooo bad on saturday. My Mom asked what was wrong and I mumbled something through half-tears. She said, “what” and I said, “IF I HAVE TO F%@&IN REPEAT MYSELF…” Yaaa, I have never said that in front of my parents before. And then I just started sobbing…for no reason. And my Mom just came and hugged me. Ha. PMS really, really sucks.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 11, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I need this right now!! Hahah seriously looks amazing :D

sarah January 11, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Oh man, you made me yawn as I read your post! So crazy, the power of suggestion. This recipe may keep me from eating through a mason jar full of PC choco chips (did you know they are vegan and my favorite chocolate chip?)!
I’m sure many a husband will be thanking you today!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

I hope not because it was boring! lol ;)

eatingRD January 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I always want to have a little piece of dark chocolate after dinner and this would fit the bill quite nicely. Looks lovely. Is there anything that could sub for the carob flour? Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

You could just leave it out and then adjust the cocoa powder and sweetener to taste :)

Katrina January 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm

This sounds lovely! Healthy pudding makes me happy!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I must give this a try!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

This looks like the PERFECT chocolate treat. It’s healthy, and a generous portion too. Can’t wait to try this :)

LizAshlee January 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Chia seed puddings are the best..I am currently on a pumpkin pie pudding kick with added pumpkin, stevia, cinnamon and almond milk…so tasty! Definitely will try this one…soon…it’s approaching! :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love chia seeds and I’m always looking for new recipes incorporating them!

Clare @ SweetnSimple January 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Yum!! This looks absolutely incredible.. oh I could make this right now :)

Taji January 11, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I have been using chia seeds and i like them. But when i have them in a recipe and i save some to eat later( a salad or smoothie)—-i guess the way they swell up w/ water gives me indigestion. This doesn’t happen when i eat it immediately–only when i eat it later. Does this happen to anyone else?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’m sorry to hear that! Maybe it has to do with all the water they absorb?

Alyssa January 11, 2012 at 5:36 pm

2 of my favorite things… chia seeds and chocolate! I’ve made a chocolate pudding with chia seeds before and it was good, but not excellent. However, this one looks fantastic, I will give it a go. Thanks!

Zestful Lou January 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

The first 10 lines of this post define me EXACTLY right now. Tears, sore boobs, chocolate, cravings, chocolate, more chocolate, and wanting to eat everything in sight.

Thank you, Thank you for chia chocolate pudding. Tear.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

I love the tear at the end :)

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Haha, I could definitely use some of this chia pudding today!

Hope the hormones settle down soon – for both of us. I can’t stop crying about everything. :-)

~Emily~

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:58 am

There’s no crying in baseball!!!

Sorry I couldn’t help myself with that quote.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm

A big thank you from someone who needs a chocolate fix right now!

Marleena @ The Flex Foodie January 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Just made this tonight, and I have to say I never would have thought that vegan chocolate pudding would be so great! Thanks for the recipe!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I love chia puddings! My favorite is with pumpkin!

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Oh yeah, love me some chocolate chia pudding. Thanks for the great recipe Angela. I’m feeling a craving coming on and I don’t even have cramps or sore boobies. I just really really like chocolate. I’ll eat it in honor of your female issues, though, okay? Hmm, that probably sounded weirder than it was meant to. Sorry bout that :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

haha!

Rachel Runs January 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

i literally laughed out loud when I read this!! you are too funny, i CRAVE chocolate like no other for at least a few days before that lovely time of the month. I made your similar pudding for thanksgiving dessert and it was soooo tasty!! I like the idea of banana chunks or mashed banana in it too. mmmmmm

Katie January 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm

This would have been perfect for me last weekend… I cried during a movie called Real Steal.. seriously? ugh. Looks yummy, I’ll have to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

haha…I can relate. Im always like I hope Eric doesn’t look at me cuz Im tearing up over this!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I’ve inhaled way too many {PMS-induced} bags of chocolate chips. Perhaps I should give this a try ;)

Susan H. @ The Food Allergy Chronicles January 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I am so in love with this recipe…must try! I will have to use a nut free milk…I have rice and soy milk which are sweetened…will have to play with the sweetner as I will not be able to buy the carob powder at the bulk barn…cross-contamination issues. How many servings does it make? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

This recipe makes 2 servings, or one large serving. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 11, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love your repair and recover chia pudding! It kind of looks like frogs eggs. :D Surprisingly that doesn’t gross me out enough to prevent me from eating it haha.

Catriona January 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

So does the soaked chia resemble, texture-wise, tapioca? I usually put it with my yogurt, but it only softens maybe 5 minutes before I inhale it…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

I haven’t had Tapioca before but I think it might be a bit more gel-like?

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner January 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

OHMYGOSH that looks amazing! <3 <3 <3

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I think you just saved me from inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

Me and my waistline thank you.

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 11, 2012 at 10:42 pm

That looks to die for! That’s it, I’m biting the bullet and buying into this chia seed hype. Where can I sign up?!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm

This looks delicious! Hope you don’t mind but I’m featuring your Cookie Dough Balls lll on my blog tomorrow morning!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts January 11, 2012 at 10:55 pm

This is DEFINITELY my kind of chocolate pudding. Any time of day kind of definitely :)

KellyB January 11, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi
Did I read somewhere in one of your posts that you buy your almond milk and don’t bother making it? Every other blogger makes almond milk and raves about how good it tastes. I can’t seem to make a milk that my kids will drink and now I feel guilty buying and throwing out all that milk packaging. Ugh!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hey Kelly, I did make it once and I didn’t find it was very cost effective. If I can find cheaper almonds, I might give it another shot!

Meredith January 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Yum!!!! I tried this tonight — so good!!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 11, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Since the PMSing just commenced, I think the choco chia pudding needs to do so as well :)

Katie January 12, 2012 at 1:56 am

Looks really good. I love that it’s low in sugar but packs a chocolate punch. I’m going to have to pick up some chia seeds and give it a try. :)KT

[email protected] January 12, 2012 at 2:18 am

This thing looks amazing! I’m so making it, it’s impossible to resist :)

Nadiya January 12, 2012 at 7:55 am

Interesting Recipe. I’ve never tried making chia seed pudding but is it somewhat like tapioca pudding but more nutritious?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:54 am

I haven’t had Tapicoa before, but I think it’s similar, although maybe a bit more gel-like and slimy? heh. but yes VERY nutritious!!

sahara January 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi, I love your blog, although am not a vegetarian. I live in Lagos, Nigerian, and not so sure what chia seeds are referred to here, google did not have anything on it, but I want to try them, so if you can suggest where you buy yours, in America, I have friend coming over next week whom I would like to ask to buy for me. thank you

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hey Sahara, You can buy them from bulk food stores, Whole Foods, and places online like chiaseedsdirect.com goodluck!

Nikki @ Active Vegetarian January 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Looks delicious! On my “must try” list for sure :-)
Thanks for all the great posts!

Sonya January 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

Reporting back on this recipe. I made it last night and within 2 hours or so, I had a yummy dessert! It’s amazing how the chia seeds plump up and absorb the almond milk and become somewhat like tapioca pearls, with some crunch. I’m a happy girl since the recipe was so yummy, healthy and I had all of the ingredients in my kitchen, except for the carob powder. I just used extra cocoa powder (Hershey’s Special Dark) and extra Agave Syrup (2 tbsp amber and 2 tbsp raw). In the print version of this recipe, it says you can add some rolled oats and I did that. Thank you!

[email protected] for the Soul January 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Mmmm it actually looks appealing! hahaa, leave it to Angie to do a great job at that. :) This sounds really good~and I totally get sore tatas as well as uncontrollable yawning. Oh! And crazy water retention. “I am a woman hear me roar!” Too funny :P

Persephonie January 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I hear ya! Chocolate, sore boobs, etc. Thank the good lord for recipes like this that fulfill the craving and are actually healthy to inhale. Thank you!

Rachel January 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm

If you add just a little coffee substitute such as Pero or Dandy Blend to carob it gives it a more authentic chocolate flavor.

It works enough that a non-healthy carnivore will like it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

great tip! Thanks :)

VeggieGirl January 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

This is a great recipe, thanks! :)

Kris January 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wow!! That looks great Angela. A friend of mine is a fan of your blog. She knows that I love chia and sent me this link. I enjoyed reading your story! Love your photo’s too. Adding your blog to my favorites…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Thanks Kris! Off to check out your blog too :)

Susan January 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning without the carob powder and I added the suggested banana for extra sweetness. OMG, it was so good! Definitely helped curb my chocolate craving. It says it makes 2 servings, but I only seemed to get 1 serving from it. Hmmm… ;)

[email protected] January 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Definitely keeping this up my sleeve for those days!

Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) January 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm

This looks AMAZING. Although I’m not PMSing right now… but can I make it anyway? Actually, my real question is: can I make it with coconut milk? I have a ton leftover from another recipe and I’m looking to do something creative with it.

Laura January 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I was actually eating a bowl of pumpkin chocolate chia pudding as I was reading this post. Can’t wait to try your recipe out!

I can totally relate on the PMS, as many women can. Sore boobs are more like painful boobs for me. And uncontrollable yawning is more like total knock-out, hours-long PMS nap that I cannot awaken from. The chocolate cravings are annoying in that I never seem to have chocolate around when I crave it. And that frustration adds to the random anger. Yep, fun.

JessE @ Love Life From Scratch January 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm

In my fridge “soaking” as I type this! Used 2 T cocoa powder and a touch of honey as well to make up for not having the carob powder. Not sure I can resist it for 2 hours :)

Alison M. January 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I made this last night and shared it with my boss today. Yum! We added in chopped up almonds and unsweetened coconut to get an “Almond Joy” flavor. Great stuff and so easy to make!

Bonnie January 13, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hey Angela! I LOVED this recipe! I’m already excited to go home and eat some more. :) I linked to it in a post today…thanks for sharing and creating!

Ariel January 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I just made this. I can’t wait for it to be ready! One question though, what is the point of using carob powder instead of all cocoa powder? What else can I use carob powder for?

Alyssa January 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I just made this for dessert and it was absolutely delicious! What a yummy, healthy dessert. This will be a new standby for sure!

Katie January 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh my, I’ve made probably three batches of this since you first posted it! I am completely obsessed. I’d never even had chia seeds before, and now I am addicted! And after the pipes in our basement burst and had to be replaced, I definitely needed chocolate, and it was awesome being able to come to something healthy! Also, I just recently became vegan a month ago and your recipes and posts have been such a help and inspiration! Thank you so much for being a wonderful role model and blogger!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. January 14, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Just adore chia seeds. Have them everyday!

Monica Gupta January 15, 2012 at 12:17 am

Just ran out of almond milk but really want to make this really soon!! Do you think soy milk would work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012 at 9:04 am

Im not a huge fan of the taste of soy but if you like it them by all means you can use that too!

Jenna January 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I just about inhaled an entire bag of chocolate chips the other day, next time I’m trying this instead :)

Sheesh January 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I made this last night, it was so delicious! Thank you!

I just read this makes two servings……….oooooops! LOL. I’ll half it next time, since there is no way I could save half for the next day :P So so good.

Adrianne January 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm

This came out great! Tapioca-ish texture. Newly vegan hubby loved it too!

Charlotte (weekendssosweet.com) January 18, 2012 at 12:39 am

This looks great and easy! If I don’t have Carob powder could I just use more cocoa? Also, thanks for including the nutritional facts – really helpful for those of us with New Year’s Resolutions :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2012 at 10:57 am

You can use a tiny bit more cocoa but I would also add more sweetener since carob is sweet and the cocoa is bitter.

Jeralyn January 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Can you use whole wheat flour for this recipe?

sophie January 18, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for bringing chocolate pudding bac into my life. Today I tried it with some added peant flour…mmm :) Keep doin’ what you’re doing :)

Sherlock January 21, 2012 at 2:56 pm

This looked very good which is why I had to try it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t a huge fan. The chia seed flavor was overwhelming. I even processed the pudding before eating which did improve the texture. It definitely needed more cocoa and sweetener for my liking but my 3 year old enjoyed it.

Kelly January 24, 2012 at 11:06 am

I made two nights ago & since I didn’t have carob powder I used cacao & cocoa powders. It was fabulous! I had one serving last night & had enough will power (surprisingly) to save the other serving for later tonight.

Susan January 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm

even though I don’t actually get PMS symptoms- I still used my period as an excuse to make this pudding; it wasn’t quite as good as I hoped – it tasted healthy – but it was ok. I must admit that I didn’t add the maple syrup and it would have likely improved the sweet factor but added cinnamon sugar instead

Kevin (Closet Cooking) January 31, 2012 at 10:08 pm

That pudding looks amazing!

Helen February 5, 2012 at 2:12 am

I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog. The recipes are great and your stories are so inspirational. My whole life I’ve struggled with my weight and body image. Last year, my first year in college, I experienced debilitating and unexplained health problems. After many hours spent in doctors offices with no answers I finally discovered that my symptoms were food related. After going on a highly restricted “elimination” diet removing common allergens, I am finally starting to get my life back on track. My eating habits and general lifestyle has changed drastically since August when I altered my eating patterns, but its blogs like this that have helped my manage the stress of doing so. Thank you so much and keep up the good work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2012 at 8:47 am

Thank you Helen, goodluck with everything!

Natalie Michael February 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Oh my god, Angela! I absolutely love this recipe. I used dates instead of maple syrup, and I added vanilla and some melted organic chocolate to it. I am in heaven!!!!

Alice February 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm

You sound like me when I’m about to be on my monthly. :) Sounds really good, I’m going to try this!

Katie March 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Hey Angela!

This looks delish, as everyone has mentioned ;) Wondering if the syrup is a must for this – I would imagine the pudding texture would happen even without the syrup wouldn`t you say? lol :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I wouldnt say it’s a must but I would say sweetener (of some form) is a good idea!

Katie March 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm

That’s great – I actually did it up without the syrup last night (but with stevia) and it was amazeballs:) Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Therese March 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

Actually Costco sells chia seeds for a very reasonable price in their pharmacy section.

Kirsten April 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Great recipe for inspiration! I tripled it for my family, used raw milk, added two raw pastured egg yolks and will use my immersion blender to add an avocado right before serving. I know this isn’t a vegan thing, but it works for us. Thank you!

Phillip Minton, M.D. June 27, 2012 at 2:09 am

Thanks for this recipe! A perfect chocolate dessert for summer!

Jon June 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hello… I wanted to write to say that 1. You made me laugh and showed me a great recipe for healthier eating and 2. I wanted to show that there ARE intelligent men that are willing to learn how to eat healthy and sacrifice certain things as well. (burgers and pizza and beer).

Felt weird since I see there are no other comments coming from any males… anyways thanks for the great recipe and keep up the great work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hey Jon, It’s a pleasure to hear from you! I too wish there were more males commenting! Hope to see you again.

Spaceranger June 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I’m *thrilled* to have found this recipe. I don’t have carob powder, so have been experimenting with other sweeteners–vietnemese cinnamon, high quality vanilla, and mollases (and sometimes a teensy bit of xylitol). I have also been using lots of raw cacao powder in it along with cacao nibs when I feel like it. Sometime I’ll pick up some carob powder and give it a go with that! This has been such a delicious little treat for me lately. My toddler loves it too!

cathy July 13, 2012 at 10:49 am

I just put chia seeds in chocolate soy milk with a couple tablespoons of oatmeal and let sit. nice and easy!!!

Sandi July 25, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Do you know if this would still set up into pudding if I use chia powder or blend it thoroughly to eliminate the lumps of the chia seeds? My little boy has issues with texture and I’m trying to get some nutritious foods into him. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2012 at 7:38 am

I can’t see why it wouldn’t work when using ground chia. Let me know if you try it out!

Sandi July 26, 2012 at 10:46 am

OK – I’m going to try it today and I’ll let you know how it goes!

Kara Swan July 26, 2012 at 7:41 am

I’m not ashamed to admit that I just ate this for breakfast. Chia before gym = a great workout. Take THAT PMS!

Kaely September 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I made this this afternoon – very very tasty. I used honey because i didn’t have anything else, and I used Vanilla Almond Milk in place of unsweetened. I also threw in a few chocolate chips and using Hazelnut Meal/Flour in place of the Carob since my husband can’t eat carob. It was tasty, but not quite a pudding texture, so I’m about to add some rolled oats and see if that helps! I used this coconut whipped cream on top! yum! http://nuttykitchen.com/2010/06/01/coconut-whipped-cream/

Anne M. September 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

No where around here carries carob flour, what would be a good substitute?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hey Anne, you could probably use cocoa powder, but since carob is sweet and cocoa is bitter, you’d have to add more sweetener to taste. goodluck!

Anne M. October 1, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thanks! It was wonderful! I made the lentil walnut loaf for dinner with green beans topped with the parm used in the butternut squash and kale recipe as well as a fruit salad and the pudding for dessert.

Thanks for all the great recipes! I love your site!

Rita (More Health) December 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

This looks absolutely divine! Thanks for the great recipe, I will definitely be trying this one out. Going off for some chia seeds and carob flour. Thanks again!

Fit Missy January 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

This looks amazing! Going to have to try it!

Janet January 14, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I added sliced strawberries .. yummy

Catherine January 14, 2013 at 10:56 pm

… and here I am with chia seeds and no idea what to do with them. I think I know what tomorow’s breakfast will be!

Heather January 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Hey!
Great recipe!!! I want it right now too!!!:)

The Healthy Epicurean January 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I love chia and of course I adore chocolate so what’s not to like. I’m making this :-)

Amanda January 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I have tried tris recipe twice, and both times ended up with a runny, soupy mess. I made a half recipe, with 2/3 c almond milk, 2 T chia seeds, 1T coca, and 2 tsp of maple syrup. I tried just mixing and putting it in the fridge, as well as microwaving it for a bit first. Neither time was successful. Any suggestions?

Andrea January 16, 2013 at 12:20 am

Love chia! I admit I haven’t tried chia pudding yet, but I adore it in smoothies. I love the thick texture! I don’t have any carob powder, so I used some chocolate protein powder instead. I’ve got this in the fridge now and will have for breakfast tomorrow. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with chocolate and make-ahead breakfasts! I am one of those people that would never eat breakfast if I didn’t prepare something the night before.

Alyssa January 21, 2013 at 1:47 am

I’ve already made this and it’s phenomenal! I added some unsweetened coconut and a little bit of coconut oil, and it added a whole other dimension.
I’m trying to get into packing lunches, and I was wondering how long the pudding would keep in the fridge if I were to multiply the recipe and take it as a snack throughout the week?

Lynda January 26, 2013 at 4:14 pm

This sounds really good, but what about an alternative to almond milk, would lactose free skim milk work? Almonds are a problem for me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2013 at 10:45 am

I can’t see why it wouldnt work Lynda. Goodluck!

Healthnut Nutrition February 13, 2013 at 10:21 am

This looks amazing! I’ve been obsessed with chia seeds lately and soaking them to make this amazing chia drink which u can check out here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FMFCBlkx0dM I also have been wanting to experiment with making pudding from chia seeds soo will def be trying out this recipe! Thanks:)

Jessica April 11, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I just made this right now – I can hardly wait for it to “gel” in the fridge, I keep sneaking bites of it! So good. I added a little bit of pure vanilla extract and used a bit more maple syrup and unsweetened dark cocoa powder since I didn’t have carob on hand. It’s my first chia pudding, and I can’t wait to experiment with other flavors! Thanks for the recipe!

kim May 23, 2013 at 9:03 am

WOW!! I just tried this recipe and it is simply amazing! It is now an official go-to for a healthy sweet treat! I added bananas to mine and let it set with the pudding overnight..so wonderful.

Did I mention it’s cheap too? Well it is! Here in NYC everyone sells some form of healthy chia pudding, etc..but it’s expensive..love that I’ll be making my own from now on.

nicole May 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I made this and it tasted really good, but the chia seeds were a bit too much chia-y-ness for me, so I blended it for 20-30 seconds in my blender and it got a chia-y taste to it but gave it a thicker (although slightly gritty) consistency. it’s delicious!!

Loren June 12, 2013 at 11:39 am

This was delicious! I skipped the carob flour (didn’t have any), but added ground (still a little crunchy) cocoa nibs and a bit of coconut milk (full-fat from the can, but watered down). Next time I’ll experiment with grinding the chia seeds in a seed or coffee grinder 1st to see how pudding-like I can get this baby. Was so good and realllly filling!

@Phyllis – this amount of chia seed in one sitting is totally ok. Have you ever heard of Chia Fresca or Iskiate? Angela actually did a post on it, you should check it out. Happy chia exploring!

Angela July 21, 2013 at 8:07 am

This recipe is wonderful!!! I have been looking for a way to incorporate chia seed into my diet, and this has totally worked! I love, Love, LOVE Chocolate. This recipe takes care of those chocolate cravings that sneak up on me. Thanks so much for another fabulous recipe!

guy incognito August 10, 2013 at 2:36 am

incredibly sad instructional video for creating chia chocolate mousse

lynneta August 17, 2013 at 6:10 pm

can this be made with oh so good coconut milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013 at 9:05 am

I can’t see why not – let me know how it goes!

Josée August 19, 2013 at 7:02 am

I just noticed the picture for this pudding is featured on MindBodyGreen! http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10662/an-iron-rich-chocolate-chia-pudding-recipe-for-women-athletes.html

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013 at 9:02 am

thanks for letting me know, I asked her to remove it.

Far September 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I make a middle eastern version of this with almond milk, chia seeds, agave, cardamom, pistachios and rose extract/rose water/any rose flavoring. I also add some fruit (canned) and icecream for a special treat!

Shireen January 20, 2014 at 1:02 am

Oh yummm! This is going to be breakfast tomorrow for my daughter & me! I don’t have carob powder, so I’ll be using all raw cacao plus an extra tablespoon of maple syrup.

Natalie February 7, 2014 at 10:55 am

Made this last night to eat today. Simple, quick and tastes so good!! Love this recipe. Tempted to use chocolate milk as well?? Is that OTT?!!!!!

Kerrie March 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I just made this and used coconut milk and cocoa powder and used unsweetened coconut to decorate. It is amazing, healthy, no lactose and yummy.

Bre March 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I just had this and made it a bit healthier and filling by putting a banana and almond butter on top. I subbed ground flax for karob to add a bit more fiber. It was nummyyyy!

spaceranger July 23, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Mmmmm! I made this today, and tonight my 1 year old, my 3 year old my husband and I all went nuts over it after dinner. Thank you! I mostly followed your recipe but I didn’t have maple syrup so I sweetened it with dates, prunes and a teeny bit of stevia. It is fabulous and I felt really good about feeding it to my family. :)

Lisa October 6, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Love this recipe! However, microwaving the pudding would cancel out so many of the nutrients, try heating it on the stove instead:)

Emily October 13, 2014 at 6:09 pm

What am I doing wrong with my chia seeds? They won’t set up :( is there such a thing as dysfunctional chia seeds? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hi Emily, I have had this happen before (it’s rare but can happen), my only advice would be to add more chia seeds to your batch to help absorb some of the liquid. Next time, you might want to reduce the liquid so it thickens up faster. Hope this helps!

Laura November 12, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Could you use soya milk instead of almond milk? I’m not the biggest fan of almond milk for some reason…

Emily Fyffe December 30, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I made this and added strawberries to it…INCREDIBLE!!

Christal January 20, 2015 at 9:42 am

I made this over the weekend and it was amazing! I did not have carob powder so I warmed the almond milk and melted vegan chocolate chips (1/4 cup) into the milk (whisked until smooth). It took extra time, as I allowed the milk to cool before proceeding, but it worked! My chocolate-loving husband said that this is (so far) his favorite recipe of yours that I have made. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Arielle July 30, 2015 at 10:18 am

I tried this, but it didn’t turn out, the cocoa powder wouldn’t mix in with the cold milk and it just ended up clumpy and seperated… how do you get the powder to mix fully into cold liquid?

Tiffany December 20, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela,

We love this recipe for breakfast or dessert! Its great served with peanut butter, banana and homemade cranberry sauce!

When I make this I stir the dry ingredients together first then slowly add the almond milk in (2T first, then 1/4c at a time) to get out all the lumps.

Thank you!! :)

Aimee June 16, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Recipe Rating:

This is amasing. Thank you. The next time I went to make it I was feeling extra lazy and I still needed to make the nutmilk. I swapped the almonds for pecans so I wouldn’t have to strain it, then dropped all the other ingredients in and whirred it up in my vitamix, chilled and so easy, good, and gone. =)

Angela Liddon June 17, 2016 at 8:04 am

So glad you enjoyed it Aimee!!

Lisa January 30, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Very nice recipe. Plus, I love your presentation. Please open a restaurant!
I like that you mix cocoa with carob to include choc flavor but lesson the caffeine?
Other ideas: perhaps some slivered almonds might give it an ‘Almond Joy’ taste!
Or, thawed dark bing cherries sweetened with coconut sugar. So many possibilities…!

Arien October 29, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Hi, I tried this but the pudding didn’t thicken. It was still tasty (Well, as iced cocoa with chia seeds) but the seeds were more or less the same size as before – and I left it in overnight. Any idea what I did wrong?

Arien October 30, 2017 at 5:44 am

You know what, scratch that. It thickened up after I gave it another half day in the fridge (ie total of 24 hours).

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2017 at 7:34 am

I’m so happy it finally thickened up for you!

caroline January 28, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi,

I made this and not all of the chia seeds expanded. Some were still rock hard solid. Any tips to make them softer? Otherwise, it was really good!

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2018 at 9:52 am

Hey Caroline, I’m happy to help troubleshoot! Do you know if the chia seeds that didn’t expand were not touching liquid? I find unless they’re submersed in liquid they won’t expand and tend to remain firm.

Fancy February 9, 2018 at 7:05 am
Recipe Rating:

Looks yummy. Am definitely going to try it.