Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

IMG_6188

Chocolate.

PMS.

Mood swings.

Cravings.

Sore boobs.

Tearing up over random TV shows (example: Redemption Inc).

Chocolate.

Uncontrollable yawning.

Random anger.

Healthier chocolate pudding.

IMG_6177

I am a woman, hear me roar!

This is the pudding I make when I feel like inhaling a bag of chocolate chips.

IMG_6183

It lets me return to my normal self, at least for now…

My chocolate cravings are satisfied and I feel like a million bucks, minus the sore boobs, mood swings, and yawning of course.

IMG_6173

I wouldn’t say that it’s for everyone though; if you aren’t into soaked chia seeds (and their slim-factor) you might not like this pudding. You could try adding rolled oats for a chewier texture and do more of a vegan overnight oats recipe if that floats your boat. I added in a couple tablespoons of oats at the last minute.

Top it with a bit of shaved dark chocolate on top…and it’s pretty much my favourite snack going. I also love it heated up with a spoonful of coconut cream stirred in! Want to thicken it up? Mash in a banana just before serving.

IMG_6179

5 from 2 reviews

Healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, soy-free

By

I make this pudding when I want something indulgent tasting, but don’t feel like eating a ton of sugar. It satisfies and energizes me while letting me get on with my day. I love mixing carob powder and cocoa powder for a more complex chocolate flavour. The carob powder also adds a natural sweetness that I love. If you don’t have carob, I suggest using a bit more cocoa powder and sweetener since it will be less sweet without the carob. Serve cold or heated up!

Adapted from Repair and Recover Chia Pudding

Yield
2 servings
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 & 1/4 cup to 1 & 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, as needed to thin out
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp carob flour/powder (I buy it at Bulk Barn)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • Shaved chocolate for garnish (optional)

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients (starting with 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk) until the clumps are gone. Place in fridge for 1-2 hours, until thick or overnight. Stir well, add more milk if desired to achieve the thickness you desire, and serve chilled. Alternatively you can heat in the microwave and serve it warm. It’s nice with a spoonful of coconut cream mixed in or a mashed banana too.
197 calories12 grams15 grams8 grams

Also try Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait.
IMG_6182

This morning, I enjoyed heated-up chocolate pudding and a breakfast cookie.

I should be a lot nicer today.

Page 5 of 5«12345
Lisa January 30, 2017

Very nice recipe. Plus, I love your presentation. Please open a restaurant!
I like that you mix cocoa with carob to include choc flavor but lesson the caffeine?
Other ideas: perhaps some slivered almonds might give it an ‘Almond Joy’ taste!
Or, thawed dark bing cherries sweetened with coconut sugar. So many possibilities…!

Aimee June 16, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is amasing. Thank you. The next time I went to make it I was feeling extra lazy and I still needed to make the nutmilk. I swapped the almonds for pecans so I wouldn’t have to strain it, then dropped all the other ingredients in and whirred it up in my vitamix, chilled and so easy, good, and gone. =)

Angela Liddon June 17, 2016

So glad you enjoyed it Aimee!!

Tiffany December 20, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela,

We love this recipe for breakfast or dessert! Its great served with peanut butter, banana and homemade cranberry sauce!

When I make this I stir the dry ingredients together first then slowly add the almond milk in (2T first, then 1/4c at a time) to get out all the lumps.

Thank you!! :)

Arielle July 30, 2015

I tried this, but it didn’t turn out, the cocoa powder wouldn’t mix in with the cold milk and it just ended up clumpy and seperated… how do you get the powder to mix fully into cold liquid?

Christal January 20, 2015

I made this over the weekend and it was amazing! I did not have carob powder so I warmed the almond milk and melted vegan chocolate chips (1/4 cup) into the milk (whisked until smooth). It took extra time, as I allowed the milk to cool before proceeding, but it worked! My chocolate-loving husband said that this is (so far) his favorite recipe of yours that I have made. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Emily Fyffe December 30, 2014

I made this and added strawberries to it…INCREDIBLE!!

Laura November 12, 2014

Could you use soya milk instead of almond milk? I’m not the biggest fan of almond milk for some reason…

Emily October 13, 2014

What am I doing wrong with my chia seeds? They won’t set up :( is there such a thing as dysfunctional chia seeds? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2014

Hi Emily, I have had this happen before (it’s rare but can happen), my only advice would be to add more chia seeds to your batch to help absorb some of the liquid. Next time, you might want to reduce the liquid so it thickens up faster. Hope this helps!

Lisa October 6, 2014

Love this recipe! However, microwaving the pudding would cancel out so many of the nutrients, try heating it on the stove instead:)

spaceranger July 23, 2014

Mmmmm! I made this today, and tonight my 1 year old, my 3 year old my husband and I all went nuts over it after dinner. Thank you! I mostly followed your recipe but I didn’t have maple syrup so I sweetened it with dates, prunes and a teeny bit of stevia. It is fabulous and I felt really good about feeding it to my family. :)

Bre March 30, 2014

I just had this and made it a bit healthier and filling by putting a banana and almond butter on top. I subbed ground flax for karob to add a bit more fiber. It was nummyyyy!

Kerrie March 12, 2014

I just made this and used coconut milk and cocoa powder and used unsweetened coconut to decorate. It is amazing, healthy, no lactose and yummy.

Natalie February 7, 2014

Made this last night to eat today. Simple, quick and tastes so good!! Love this recipe. Tempted to use chocolate milk as well?? Is that OTT?!!!!!

Shireen January 20, 2014

Oh yummm! This is going to be breakfast tomorrow for my daughter & me! I don’t have carob powder, so I’ll be using all raw cacao plus an extra tablespoon of maple syrup.

Far September 18, 2013

I make a middle eastern version of this with almond milk, chia seeds, agave, cardamom, pistachios and rose extract/rose water/any rose flavoring. I also add some fruit (canned) and icecream for a special treat!