Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

IMG 5320 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 IMG 8958 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 IMG 3216   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011IMG 3316 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 20101108IMG 0034   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 IMG 8752 2   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011IMG 2128   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 IMG 6950   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011 IMG 4080 2   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

Not many people know that I’m a former stats geek.

During my 2nd year of my undergrad program, I was absolutely terrified to take my first stats course. I thought I was going to fail, thus shattering my dreams of going to grad school. As it turned out, I ended up falling in love with (most) of my stats courses, studied my butt off, and excelled in them. I surprised myself because I’m not normally a math person, but stats appeal to me because they tell a story! Stats have a hook.

I realized that the Best of 2011 recap posts are like a mini research project for me. It’s fun to see what types of recipes you guys love the most!

This breakfast round-up comes at a good time because my breakfasts were all over the place while on holiday. I was eating random things like dinner leftovers, odds and ends (read: cookies), and sometimes I forgot to pack enough breakfast food while away and got by on random pieces of fruit. It wasn’t ideal and didn’t leave me with bursting energy.

My goal for this week is to get into a normal breakfast routine again and back on the Green Monster train!

15. Glowing Sunshine Juice

5. Apple Pie Oatmeal

IMG 9758   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

4. 12 Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait recipes

IMG 4080 21   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

3. Carrot Cake Oatmeal

IMG 6612b   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

2. Vegan Overnight Oats recipes were very popular such as The classic recipe, Blueberry Banana Pie, PB and Jam, and Carob Banana Chia

IMG 6969 2   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

and the #1 breakfast recipe of the year goes to…

1. Classic Green Monster!

IMG 8958 thumb1   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

and the honourable mention award goes to…

Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie!

IMG 0924 thumb   Top 15 Vegan Breakfast Recipes of 2011

What types of breakfast recipes would you like to see more of in 2012?

Caitlin January 3, 2012

The spoon in photo #10 is to.die.for! And your photos never cease to amaze me. So great to find a fellow stats nerd! I love stats for the very same reason as you – the stories they tell! I minored in stats at college!

Thanks! It’s from Anthro purchased in 2010

Susannah July 30, 2012

I agree, your pictures are FANTASTIC! As is this amazing place…OSG

Elaine August 10, 2012

Angela- I am making your stawberry shortcake stacked pancakes at the bed and breakfast tomorrow. Thank you for so many ideas! Please come open up a vegan eaterie here in Savannah, Georgia!

Meghan January 3, 2012

All of these, with the exception of the Green Monster perhaps, are sweet. I can’t do sweet in the morning. It makes me nauseous! My go-to used to be an egg sandwich, but obviously, I am looking for a vegan alternative (that doesnt take a ton of prep time). I’d so appreciate any recommendations!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I was thinking more savoury recipes too! Maybe a breakfast sandwich or something?

Meghan January 3, 2012

Yes! That would be lovely!! Looking forward to it.

Kathryn January 3, 2012

I second that! I like sweet sometimes, but savory is delish too! Loving all the top of 2011 posts!

Maureen Pluthero January 3, 2012

I agree I am trying to cut out all sugars and sweeteners from my diet in January. Trying to see if they are what trigger my outbreaks. Savoury would be good and I would love a sandwich please.

Tamara December 22, 2013

Scrambled tofu or savory pancakes, perhaps?

Francheska January 10, 2012

Oh my, a breakfast sandwich for vegetarians would be amazing! go brainstorm lol i love your recipes!

Kymber Allen February 14, 2012

I second that. I love a savory breakfast most mornings.

Carol February 20, 2012

Any chance for a vegan eggs benny recipe?
nom

Sondi January 3, 2012

I agree with this! I would love to see more savory breakfasts. Though I love my sweets, since I eliminated refined sugars I have a hard time having really sweet things at the start of my day.

jenna January 3, 2012

those strawberry shortcake pancakes kill me every time! they look amazing!!!!

i wish i lived with you so i could wake up every morning to these beauties!! i hope your New Year is off to a great start!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 4, 2012

I agree, I’d love to move in :D

Tracy January 3, 2012

Perhaps the tastiest “best of” list I’ve seen all year. We love your creations so much that we nominated you for the Versitility in Blogging Award:

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

Thank you Tracy! Going to check it out :)

Becca January 3, 2012

More cooked steel cut oat recipes, please! Steel cut is my favorite type of oat.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 3, 2012

How the heck did I miss that sunshine juice recipe?!?! I need it now.. my throat has been killing me since I got back from Italy! As for breakfasts… I need to switch mine up more in 2012, so you’ve just given me some good ideas! :)

Britny W January 3, 2012

I have tried quite a few of these. Actually had my first green monster this morning! I think more savory breakfasts would be delicious! My mom used to make this breakfast casserole with potatoes, peppers, sausage, eggs, and cheese. It was delicious! I wonder if it can be veganized somehow??

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

a breakfast casserole would be great!

Laura January 3, 2012

This year was a revolution of breakfasts for me! I broke out of my oatmeal w/ banana and cinnamon routine because of all of your lovely combinations! Also fell in love w/ green monsters and kale! I forgot about your strawberry shortcake pancakes. Might make them as a treat this weekend!

keep the breakfasts coming! They’re my favourite kind of recipes (although they are all awesome).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I’m happy to hear that Laura! I’m thinking this weekend is a pancake weekend too…

Red Deception January 3, 2012

I love each recipe – although the sweet potato dish looks droolworthy. Must…make!

I want to see more ethic themed meals… mexican, vietnamese, japanese, native american….

It would be exciting to see a vegan twist on such a variety of food!

Natalie January 3, 2012

I was eating my Pad Thai the other day and thinking I would LOVE to see Angela’s version of this :)

thanks will do!

Cait's Plate January 3, 2012

Oh man. You just made me want breakfast 10 times over again!! I definitely need to try out a bunch of these!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 3, 2012

your carrot cake oatmeal is my absolute favourite! I make it at least once a week :D

Lauren January 5, 2012

I was wondering if there is any substitute for the coconut milk cream. I am not familiar with coconut milk! Your breakfast looks so good. I am trying to eat less meat in the new year and your blog is really helping me with that. Also, I am thinking I need to try that Green Monster even though I am a little nervous. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Hi Lauren, I think that depends on the recipe. Which one were you thinking of?

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 3, 2012

Not only are your recipes AMAZING and utterly unique, your photography skills are so good that I almost died after every picture… I think I’m going to make every recipe on this page!!

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay January 3, 2012

Oh, I forgot… I would love to see more oatmeal recipes that are easy to make. I’m trying to eat oatmeal every day :) Either that or some breakfast muffins (or cupcakes, hehe)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

you had me at breakfast cupcake….seriously. lol.

Thanks for your kind words!

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews January 3, 2012

We’re reintroducing the Monsta back into our lives today too. It’s been too long since we’ve had that green goodness!

katie@ KatieDid January 3, 2012

So many gorgeous photos and creative recipes. I especially love the parfaits, they always look so decadent and fun to eat first thing in the morning. I liked some of your higher protein ideas that you tried a few months back, as I need lots of fat and protein in the morning.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

Did you ever see that post when I made Eric a manly green monster? hilarious. well not for him, but was for me. I pretty much scared him from green monsters for life with that recipe!!!

Andrea January 4, 2012

Would love to see that post! Can you share the link!?

Amanda January 3, 2012

I cannot wait to try your carrot cake oatmeal. Carrot cake is my favorite!

I think someone mentioned this already, but I’d like to see some savory breakfast options. I tend to crave salty rather than sweet on a lot of mornings, which is why I gravitate towards tofu scrambles over pancakes. Don’t get me wrong though – I love pancakes too. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

Thanks I will keep that in mind!

Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious January 4, 2012

You sound just like me. I think people think my breakfast blog posts are crazy. Tofu Florentine, Sweet potato hash, tofu scrambles, vegan quiche, and spicy Italian pepper & tofu eggs. I love oatmeal, but for some reason, I can only eat it as a snack. I need a hearty, savory breakfast that keeps me going until lunch.

Angela, thank you for all your awesome inspiring posts. You always make me hungry! :)

Jeanine (The Blue Sash) January 3, 2012

I like your idea of a breakfast sandwich. That would hit the spot!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 3, 2012

I forgot about apple pie oatmeal! Must make that one again soon. I’m obsessed with carrot cake oatmeal – I made it for my whole family last Christmas and everyone adored it.

Aww that’s nice!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 3, 2012

Although I really really really want those strawberry shortcake pancakes, I must admit that I rarely ever “cook” breakfast. The hubby likes cereal and hates sweets. I eat oats through the week. So as crafty as I get in the kitchen on a weekend morning is a smoothie or a pb&banana sandwich. I know… lame.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

heh not lame at all, I think that is the rule rather than the exception! The blog forces me to come up with breakfast recipes, otherwise I’d probably still be drinking the same GM each morning. :)

MJ January 3, 2012

Love your recipes. Would love to see more savory recipes.

tonya January 3, 2012

Angela, you can do no wrong. Keep putting them out and we’ll keep making them and eating them. If you wanna mix it up–throw in some savory recipes for us.

I’ve had similar breakfasts over the holiday break so I’m gonna green monster it up this week, too. Thanks for the motivation!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 3, 2012

Oh these top recipe posts are killing me. I want them ALL. I’d like to see more hot cereal type breakfasts without oats because I’m allergic to them but that’s a pretty selfish request :) Just do your thing. Maybe more veggies incorporated into breakfasts?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

not selfish at all, great idea! What cereals do you like?

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 3, 2012

Your Carrot Cake Oatmeal is one of my all time favorite breakfasts! It is so delicious! I’ll have to make it again next week, it’s been awhile. Also, the Glowing Sunshine Juice looks so delicious and energizing, I wish I had a juicer!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) January 3, 2012

I just got a juicer and so far I’m just throwing in random ingredients. My favorite so far was apples, cranberries and ginger – it was festive and so tart. I mixed it with some club soda to make a really fun cocktail. I’m a big grapefruit fan so I can’t wait to try Glowing Sunshine Juice.

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 3, 2012

I swear I would eat all of this in one sitting…Im a breakfast LOVER!! I get excited to go to bed if I know i have a FAB breakfast in the fridge!

Anything that is carrot cake in the a.m. is good in my books!!

xxoo

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 3, 2012

|”Yummy!!!

I would LOVE more savory breakfasts!! I find that most people love sweet breakfasts, but I totally prefer savory!! I made savory breakfast waffles and they were amazing!!! :)

Happy 2012 – all the best to you guys!

Anna @ the Guiltless Life January 3, 2012

Haha I love looking at my site’s stats too. It fascinates me – human behaviour, right? It’s a sociological experiment of sorts….right??

I love the look of the carrot cake oatmeal and the pumpkin gingerbread smoothie is calling my name! I need to keep varying up my traditional oats breakfast so this is great for inspiration. My green monster is already in regular rotation! x

Amy January 3, 2012

I’d love to see more savory oats recipes, as well as more veggies in non-liquid form… like scrambles or stir-frys maybe? More variety, I guess!

My go-to OSG breakfast recipes are the healthy spelt pancakes (so easy to remember!) and the savory oats with salsa, avocado, crackers and nutritional yeast. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I love those ideas! Thanks. I also am a huge fan of the savoury oats. Maybe I should come up with another.

Meghan @ Making Love in the Kitchen January 3, 2012

Gotta LOVE the green monster as the #1 – can’t start my day without my own little green monster (the good, juicy kind – not the jealousy kind!)

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 3, 2012

yum! All of these recipes look delicious. Love this post, it is dedicated to my favorite meal!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 3, 2012

The Sweet Potato Breakfast casserole is unbelievable! I’ve made it a lot and everyone loves it. Also, can’t go wrong with the traditional Green Monster. My kids have started on the Green Monster train, too!

How ’bout more veggie themed breakfasts that are quick?

Katie Smith January 3, 2012

I tend to gravitate towards the VOO for breakfast more often than not because I LOVE the do-ahead quality of them. For 2012, I would love to see more recipes that you can do-ahead, and don’t have to do anything with the morning of. I adore cooking and baking, but first thing in the morning, that’s the last thing on my list! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I’ll put my thinking cap on!

Joy January 3, 2012

I’d love more green monsters I have some orange dreamsicle amazing grass (the first amazing grass that I hate) and I need a way to get rid of it and not taste it

But my reality is I prefer soup for breakfast

Mandy Jo January 3, 2012

I tried my first green monster over the weekend and it was amazing!!!! I have also tried the Blueberry Banana Pie (overnight). I didnt think I’d like oatmeal cold but it was delicious! I made it again, but kept the bananas out and replaced them with blackberries. The bananas just got too mushy and brown ( I had a few days of leftovers). The blackberries were a good addition.
I would love to see more bread or waffle recipes! My favorite kind of breakfast are oatmeals and breads with almond/peanut butter, I feel like they fill me up more than eggs/sausage etc.
I was also hoping you may be able to give some pointers on the best way to keep leftover food. I hate using plastic! Thank you again for your recipes!
Cheers to 2012!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

Hi Mandy Jo, Thanks for the feedback! I’m happy to hear that yo are enjoying the GM and VOO!
As for storage, I’ve recently made the switch from plastic tupperware to mostly glass or all glass storage containers (I think they can be found at Costco). I find they work well and can be frozen too.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 3, 2012

I’d like to see any recipe you want to create in 2012. These all look amazing and I really don’t “cook” breakfast. I’d say it’s more of a grab ‘n go thing for us. And don’t forget to grab that coffee, too. That’s what breakfasts of champions are made of, too. Lol

Great photos…seriously so pretty and thanks for the trip down breakfast memory lane from the past year.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 3, 2012

Breakfast foods are my absolute favorite! Some of these ideas will probably carry me through lunch and dinner at time! ;)

Amber K January 3, 2012

You have some of the most beautiful photography I’ve ever seen! These look amazing.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 3, 2012

I adore that buckwheat porridge. It tasted so good, but I think your gorgeous pictures had something to with it too. ;) I swear it would’ve been even better if I had cute glasses like that!

margy rose January 3, 2012

I feel ya! I never understood a darn thing about finance or economics. I was actually not great at either. But I decided to major in both, worked my butt off to understand them because I figured it was better to study something in school that fascinated me but that I knew nothing about. Now, I’m a corporate financial analyst. So go figure…
oh… definitely more green drinks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

that’s awesome, good for you! :)
It’s amazing how fear can sometimes prevent us from learning to like something.

Sara C January 3, 2012

Got a question. When you say “coconut milk” in a recipe, do you mean the traditional kind from a can, or the new Coconut Milks that come in a carton like this: http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

The kind from the can :)

Page 1 of 3123»