New York City: Part 3

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 30, 2011

After resting our weary legs, the promise of another good meal and fun lured us out of our comfy bed!

We made reservations at the highly-praised Candle 79 for a pre-show meal before heading off to Radio City Hall.

background-index

[source]

Opened in 2003, Candle 79 is the upscale, elegant sister restaurant of the famous Candle Cafe. The restaurant features gourmet vegan, local, seasonal, and organic cuisine with an organic wine and sake bar. It has been rated twice as Zagat’s #1 vegetarian restaurant!

The atmosphere is elegant and cozy featuring two intimate floors for dining. I started with a glass of organic Cabernet Sauvignon from The Heller Estate in California- a bit fruity (blackberry and dark plum), vanilla oaky, and peppery according to the description. Eric tried the Chardonnay from Sherwood House Vineyard in New York, described as, “bursts of starfruit softened by ripe gala apple with undertones of fresh bread”. Delish.

IMG_0166

Compliments of the chef, a beet salad while we waited for our appetizer.

IMG_0167

For our appetizer, we shared the seasonal grilled artichoke, onion rings, white beans, and grilled vegetables in a red pepper sauce. This was outstanding and the flavours were spot on.

IMG_0169

It was Eric’s first time trying grilled artichokes and he really liked them…score! He tried to tell me it was his first time ever eating them period, but I had to remind him of the Vegan Artichoke Dip I made last year (that he devoured!). HIs reply, “Those were artichokes?” lol

For my main course, I ordered the Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Cake with seasonal vegetables, red coconut curry, date-apricot-ginger chutney, and toasted almonds.

IMG_0172

Oh my, this my friends, was absolute perfection! I was blown away by the combination of flavours. I had my doubts, but it really went together really well. Each bite had a bit of the lightly sweet and spicy date-apricot-ginger chutney, crispy fried chickpea cake, grilled vegetables and coconut curry sauce. A party in my mouth for sure. I would definitely like to try to re-create this at home sometime. Adding it to my list (I actually made a list).

Eric ordered the Spaghetti and Wheat Balls made with truffled tomato sauce, roasted garlic, spinach and cashew parmesan. He loved it and shared a bite with me. It was amazing. I would love to make cashew parmesan as I’ve only made sesame seed and nutritional yeast parmesan.

IMG_0171

And for the grand finale, we shared the mouth-watering Molten Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Sauce and Mole Ice Cream. This picture makes me drool thinking about it!

IMG_0175

I think the chocolate cake was covered in a coconut oil-based chocolate and vanilla glaze. It was just so silky, while not being too rich. We finished it with chocolate in the corner of our mouths like any respectable couple.

After lingering over another glass of wine, we hit up the subway to head to our show!

IMG_0178

The subway system has been really easy to navigate, but maybe that’s because we’ve had lots of practice in Toronto. The most difficult part is knowing where we’re going, which was made easier by the NYC Subway App on Eric’s phone! Otherwise, I’m sure we’d still be lost…

IMG_0276

We bought tickets for the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes Christmas show.

IMG_0555

We were pumped to get in the Christmas spirit!

IMG_0190

It was beautiful and sparkly inside. :)

IMG_0197

IMG_0198

The show was really cute and The Rockettes were flawless!

IMG_0202

IMG_0210

IMG_0211

IMG_0213

Thanks to the wine I had with dinner (and early morning travel and walking all day), I started to get really sleepy by the end of the performance! I could barely keep my eyes open like the 80 year old grannie that I am. The show ended at 11pm, but it felt like it was about 3am. I kept joking to Eric that it was the time change (there was no time change). What can I say, I can party like the best of ‘em!

ZzzzzZZzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzz…………..dreaming of superplums, molten chocolate cake, and Nutcrackers.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food November 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I love everything about this post!…the food and the pictures from the show! It looks like you had such an amazing time!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans November 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

What a great trip!! I can’t wait to visit NYC someday :)

Annika November 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Candle79 has long been at the top of my NewYork list but after seeing that molten chocolate cake… I’m going to have to figure out how to move my trip up. Your pics have me seriously salivatingg!!

Julie November 30, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Looks like you’re having a great trip!! My mom and dad LOVED The Rockettes :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 30, 2011 at 9:03 pm

NYC is BEAUTIFUL at christmastime! Even thought it’s not quite Christmas yet. ;)

Tracy November 30, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Awww….I’m so glad you posted this!! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go to New York and definitely when I do it will be during the holidays. I would LOVE to see The Rockettes!! How cool!! I’m so glad you had fun. Always wanted to go to Candle 79 too…Alicia Silverstone talks about it so much. Maybe I should get on Hotwire now…

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Candle 79 is like my DREAM restaurant! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to go! But I always say next time….this time it WILL be next time! That meal looks fabulous!!!

[email protected] November 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

!!! Candle 79 !!! It looks like it was amazing!

Amy November 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

If you are still in New York, you REALLY have to go to Blossom. Its the most amazing vegan food I have ever had. Im not sure if you have checked it out yet, but trust me, it is worth it!! :)

Amy November 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

oops haha realized you already went there :P my bad

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

which one do you like better- the cafe or regular Blossom?

Jill @ A Cook's Nook November 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

NYC during the Christmas season is the best! We’re going to the Rockettes soon too and after reading your post, I’m even more excited

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Haha it sounds like you and I have the same late-night stamina! Everything looks and sounds gorgeous – the restaurant, the food, the Rockettes – amazing!!! Sounds like you’re having a blast!! Sweet dreams! :)

Lauren Helen November 30, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Ahhh that food looks fantastic. I wish I had a professional cook to make that kind of thing for me all the time ;)

Dori November 30, 2011 at 9:28 pm

YES Candle79 is the best! I never had the molten cake but I love their brownie sundae and especially their NACHOS. They also make an incredible margarita. Glad you enjoyed your food!

Lindsay November 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Been to Candle 79!! Loved it too! Looks like you had a great time! I miss NYC!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I can’t believe you find the NYC subway system easy! I’m from NY and think it’s probably the most confusing one I’ve ever been in (on?)! Maybe I need to download that app!
So glad you got to see the Rockettes, it’s like a staple NYC Christmas thing :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit November 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

So happy to hear you guys are having a good time! Having been in London last week and seeing the NYC subway since I was instantly thinking ‘wow, THAT looks easy!’ that London setup is challenging to wrap your head around!

Katie November 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Thank you for sharing your trip with us! I have throughly enjoyed each day’s events! Looks like NYC is the place to be if your plant based!

Allison November 30, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I love your NYC recaps!! It’s neat to see pictures of places I’ve been. Looks like you guys had fun. :)

bitt of raw November 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm

candle 79 and candle cafe are the best! get the cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 12:41 am

I can’t believe I forgot to get the cookbook….doh! I hope I can purchase it online :)

Jacqueline @ digintobooks November 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hi Angela!! My friend Andrea and I read your blog every day and LOVE IT!! Today is my birthday and being the sweet friend that she is, Andrea made me your Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream Frosting (http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/02/pumpkin-gingerbread-with-spiced-buttercream/). We all scarfed it down! Thanks for the recipes and posts that bring a glow to our days, and a birthday recipe that made my day extra special!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 12:41 am

aww that’s awesome to hear! Happy Birthday to you!!!!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Wow! The pictures from the show are beautiful! And I’ve heard a lot about Candle 79, but this was my first view of the food. That cake, both your appies & entrees…I want to go to New York, right meow! :D

Christine @ The Brighter Side of Life November 30, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Sounds like such an amazing trip! I want to try it all!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I was wondering if you guys would hit Candle! That’s on my list of places to try when I go (yes, I do have a list).

Can’t wait to see your re-creation. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 30, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Looks fantastic! Great pictures :)

Jeanine (The Blue Sash) November 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I just received the Candle 79 cookbook today and in it is the recipe for the Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Cakes. Perhaps you can add that cookbook to your Christmas wish list? Then again, you may just want to create your own recipe but having the original recipe would be a good starting point, no?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 12:47 am

Oh that’s awesome! I meant to buy the cookbook but forgot. I will have to see if I can get it one of these days… :) Going on my xmas list!

Jeanine (The Blue Sash) December 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Just paged through the cookbook again and the artichoke appetizer you had as well as the spaghetti with wheat balls are also in there. When you get home, be sure to pull up the cookbook on amazon.com as a “hint” for Santa Eric. :-). These 3 recipes are in the brand new Candle 79 cookbook (as opposed to the Candle Cafe cookbook that was released a few years ago).

Amber K November 30, 2011 at 10:29 pm

What a fun time! The food looks absolutely amazing.

[email protected] KatieDid November 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

ahh I have dreams of seeing the Rockettes perform, I bet it was fabulous! I’m actually a synchronized skater and I always describe the sport like rockettes on ice because everyone knows the rockettes!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 30, 2011 at 10:35 pm

thanks for sharing the pictures of your trip and your Candle experience.

“It was Eric’s first time trying grilled artichokes and he really liked them” – and then his reply, THOSE were artichokes…in the dip. That is something my hubs would say. 100%

And the date-ginger-apricot chutney…right there, that’s worth the trip for me!

That chocolate dessert…I have heard from other bloggers who have eaten there that THAT is THE dessert to order and that it’s amazing!

Happy you guys are having a fabulous time :)

Kit-Kat November 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Lucky to see that show!
And the way how those dishes were presented? So creative!!!

[email protected] November 30, 2011 at 10:55 pm

The food looks delicious. A necessary stop on my next(first) trip to New York City! Thank you for sharing!

Andrea S November 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Hey Angela I’ve heard a lot about Candle 79 in NY it looks amazing! I read your blog everyday and am always so inspired by your recipes! Can’t wait to see whats next!

Hope you’re having fun in NY!

Andrea S

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 12:42 am

Kathy November 30, 2011 at 11:05 pm

What I would give to lick the dessert plate clean….

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 30, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I am so glad the world has way more amazing vegan food than it did just a bit ago… and I think you played a big part in that. You are a powerful force for vegan good!

Cassidy November 30, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Ill be in NYC in 1 month! So excited! I will definitely be hitting Blossom and candle 79. :) btw, that ice cream on the molten cake, was it coconut based?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 12:49 am

Hey Cassidy, have fun on your trip! I think it was coconut based, although I’m not positive.

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl November 30, 2011 at 11:27 pm

What a BEAUTIFUL show! I’ve always wanted to see the Rockettes (and go to NYC). Very cool!
And dinner looks divine! The beet salad and the chocolate… mmmm!

ariana November 30, 2011 at 11:47 pm

what a fantastic adventure! thanks for sharing!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 1, 2011 at 12:24 am

FUNN!!! I just saw these rockettes on tv!! I watched the Rockerfeller Center lighting on tv ;) Thats as close to NYC as I’ve gotten today!

You’re having a blast!! In-Joy!
xxoo

Justine December 1, 2011 at 2:07 am

you were right in my hood- that’s the subway stop I get off at for work!

candle 79 is seriously YUM. Not sure how much longer you’re in town, but Gobo on 842nd (I think 82nd) and 3rd is less fancy thatn Candle 79 but has amazinggg vegan food.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

Thanks for the suggestion! WIll have to hit it up next time for sure.

[email protected] December 1, 2011 at 2:41 am

Very cool. Just had to share that my cousin is in the Rockefeller xmas show. She’s a little person and plays an elf. She’s been doing it for 10 yrs now. It’s a beautiful show!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

ah that’s so cute! The kids were amazing in the show :)

lilly December 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm

she didn’t say her cousin is a kid!

Annie December 1, 2011 at 3:02 am

wow, everything looks amazing! Especially your main and dessert yum!

[email protected] December 1, 2011 at 3:24 am

That food looks and sounds incredible. I wish we had more vegan restaurants here in Ireland…options are decidedly limited! I clearly need another trip back to NY! :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture December 1, 2011 at 4:58 am

Oooh I went to the Candle Cafe last time we where in New York and it was lovely, Luke wasn’t a fan (I had to drag him there!) but I really want to try Candle 79! Next time though! :)

Jasper December 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Hi Angela! have you noticed how any and every cafe in NYC seems to want to “one-up” other cafe’s on the streets when it comes to creativity and decor!!!?? It’s crazy how tourists have SO MUCH diversity from which to chose in NYC when, at the same time, the grocery shoppes, cafe’s and even stores and sites can get to feel a little “if you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all” I have read your blog since May 2011 and actually SCHEDULE time to try and read from the beginning of your posts back in 2008 and this is my FIRST comment so i’ll try to chat more!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 1, 2011 at 7:27 am

Oh how beautiful! I just love the pictures. SO holiday spirit. Thank you for sharing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

I’ve seen that restaurant on blogs before and it always makes me want to hop on the next plane to NYC to go eat there! I love the idea of an upscale vegan restaurant, since we definitely don’t have anything like that in Burlington. Do you know if there’s a similar restaurant in Toronto?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

I havn’t seen anything fancy in Toronto for veg restaurants….it’s a shame! I def think there is a market for one.

Clair December 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

What a lovely Christmas-y trip. I’m living vicariously through you.

I love the Rockettes too…when I first saw them I was a bit overwhelmed by all the marketing, but the performance was just astounding!

Amanda December 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

What a great evening! Eating at Candle 79 is on my bucket list. The food looks amazing, and I love all of the unique flavor combinations. I’m thinking of planning a trip to NYC centered around eating there…:)

P.S. Love your white coat! It’s so pretty and perfect for this time of year.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thanks Amanda!

LizAshlee December 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

Amazing photos…thanks for sharing-what a wonderful time of year to visit NYC!! :)

Jesse December 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

I’m so glad you liked New York [but really, how could you not?]! It really is a magical place- especially during the holidays. I’m officially making it my mission to scope out some vegan restauarants for my next visit.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Can you please figure out how to make that chickpea cake? It looks so good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:03 am

I will sure try :) I hear they have a cookbook too…I might have to ask Santa for it!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

what did you think of the 3D spectacular? was it cheesy? fab?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

It was a bit cheesy, but still fun to see. The kiddies loved it. The 3D part didnt last long at all…I think two shorts bursts throughout the show.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

The dinner looks SO good!!
Woo hoo- this makes me so excited to go to NYC next weekend!
We’re staying in Times Square, and I hope to get everywhere I need to go by own two feet (I’m not going to even attempt to figure out the subway system!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

Have fun!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves December 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Wow! Looks like an awesome evening! I love the Rockettes…my favorite part is always their costumes. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate December 1, 2011 at 9:43 am

We ate at Candle 79 a few years ago, and I still remember it– our meal was awesome! What a fun night for you guys!

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

Mmmmm looks like I’ll be adding Candle 79 to our list of must-visits next time we go to NYC!

Cara December 1, 2011 at 9:56 am

I LOVE all your pictures they’re making me want to go to every one of those restaurants! I am also in NYC so Ill have to go try all of them!

Gail December 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

Oh my god!!!! I am so glad I read your post. I did part of my growing up in the burbs in New Jersey (before we moved to Colorado), and every year my mom would drive me and my sisters into the city to go see that show! We would have to stand in line forever outside in the cold. I still remember the smell of roasting chestnuts that the street vendors sold. My sisters and I would go into the NBC building across the street to warm up. And the show, especially the Rockettes were so magical at that time of the year! Especially when you’re a 10 year old girl (I wanted to grow up to be a Rockette, but alas I’m the clumsiest person I know). I just loved it, and I miss it, and it brings up so many wonderful feelings of Christmas for me. I’m so glad you got to experience it and blog about it – thanks for the memories! Ha! I also remember going to Macy’s and seeing their Christmas displays in the windows – all the moving dolls and everything! This was all back in the 70’s, but I’m sure it’s still the same!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

Aww what a great memory! I can imagine that it would be such a magical show for the kids…they all seemed so excited.

Gail December 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

Oh, and I just caught the picture of the Rockettes dressed up like toy soldiers and being shot by the toy canon. That is definitely left over from when I saw them in the 70’s.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

that was my fav part!

Gail December 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

It definitely was magical. And not just the show, the whole atmosphere of NYC during this time of the year. I hope you had fun!

Gail December 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Oops, I replied to the wrong comment – ha!

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes December 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

Looks like an amazing trip!! You look great and I love your white coat. Have fun!!

Caitlin @ LiveLoveNYC December 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

you were at my subway stop! I absolutely love Candle 79 – i’m just 2 blocks away! glad you enjoyed it as much as i do!

Dana December 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

You have to get Candle 79 new cook book. I just got it and made the Seitan Piccata w/
potato cakes w/ creamed spinach. It was the best thing I ever made. The book has both
entrees you and Eric orderd.

[email protected] Flying ONION December 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Such a beautiful recap of NY! This post is filled with such Christmas-y things, it’s making me downright excited. I love December. :D

Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) December 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Looks like you had a GREAT time! I loooooooooooooove the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Though, I’m really sad to say that I live in NYC and STILL haven’t been to Candle 79!!! UGH. I need to fix that, pronto.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 1, 2011 at 12:15 pm

It has always been a dream to see the Rockettes Christmas show! I was always fascinated by them in the Macy’s parade. The pic outside Radio City Music Hall is breathtaking. So jealous but happy for you!

Lisa Broadley December 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’m getting so jealous. It makes me want to go right away (but I think I’ll wait until the snow is done!!) and try those restuarants. Did you guys buy the Rockette tickets before or the day of? How much were they? It would be a lot of fun to see them or something else!

Jen December 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I’m still staying tuned for details on that celebrity sighting you mentioned yesterday, lol.

Nicole @ giraffelegs December 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

So jealous!! That is one of my favorite show ever!!!! ugh I bet you and Eric had such a great time!!

hannah alehandra December 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Darling, I LOVE your white coat! So gorgeous on you with your blonde hair. Glad you had a good time at the show, even if you were falling asleep hehe! Oh candle 79 looks Ah-mazing, really want some of that chocolate molten cake hehe. Love and a kiss from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

Lia December 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yay! Candle 79 has been my consistently great NYC dining experience. Glad you got to get the experience. It was the restaurant that convinced my boyfriend that vegan dining can blow your mind! I’ve still never seen the Rockettes, but it looks awesome and is such a classic experience. Excited to hear more about your trip!

[email protected] December 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

haha! As soon as I saw the chickpea cake I was like, “Angela HAS to remake that!” Everything looks so amazing…0_0

kerry December 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I know i’m like, the last person on the planet to fall in love with your blog! But here we are. i’m really enjoying your vegan adventures through my city. (And weirdly, I just went to the Rockettes.) I love Blossom, love Candle 79, and your blog i only making me want to be more vegan. I refer to myself as an “aspiring vegan.”

Anna @ The Guiltless Life December 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Oh I have to try out that restaurant next time I’m in NYC! I love chickpea cakes, they are divine and that dessert…oh my. I love Eric’s response: “There were artichokes in that?” Brilliant!

Alaina December 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh my gosh, what a lovely evening!! And everything you had for dinner looks absolutely mouth watering. :-)

Moni'sMeals December 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I can not think of a more DREAM day. The food and the show wow~ Never heard of Candle 79 but I will for sure be going next time. Imagine if every restaurant had it figured out like that!

Happy December, what a great way for you to start at the Radio City Music Hall, looked like a blissful ball!

Krista December 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Candle 79 is my absolute favorite restaurant! We always arrange to meet non-vegans there for lunch or dinner to show them how great the food is! Works every time! Glad you are enjoying our city!

Cortnie December 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

That food looks divine! What a great evening – I would have been full on ASLEEP by 11pm. ;)

xo
cortnie

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner December 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Oh my all of that food looks beautiful and sooo delicious!
I love your white jacket.. very nice!

[email protected] December 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I’ve seen Candle 79 buzz on so many blogs lately, I’m just itching to get to NYC to try it out. Everything looks superb! My boyfriend definitely would have ordered the same thing as Eric. Not only is he a pasta fiend, but he’s an omnivore and has a habit of ordering the most familiar-sounding dish on the menu…and then getting jealous when he tastes mine! I hope you got a great night’s sleep after the show!

Kait December 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I’m a bit jealous of your trip and I go to NYC several times a year!!!! Good choices with EVERYTHING!

[email protected] December 1, 2011 at 9:26 pm

This evening looks absolutely perfect! I have lived in NYC for over a year now and have yet to make it to one of the Candle restaurants. Appalling! Soon. :) I also have to see the Christmas Spectacular show before I move. So glad you are having such a great vacation! This is a great time of the year to be here.

Lot-O-Choc December 2, 2011 at 4:35 am

It looks like youre having a wonderful time..and the food all looks so tasty mm!

Rebecca December 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

I am loving your New York posts!! I will be there for the Holidays and since I am SO vegan restaurant dining deprived here in Paris, I can’t wait to check out all of these spots. I will do the Ohsheglows officially NYC tour, following in your footsteps! Merci beaucoup!

missx December 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Lovely pictures, I see you had great time! +)

Jacquelynn December 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Love your white coat!!! Where did you get it?

NYC is so awesome!

Jessica December 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Sounds like a great trip! I hope to make the trip myself in the spring. Now…I NEED to know Angela,…where did you get that gorgeous white coat from???

Kyle Bullen December 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Hi Angela!

I am Kyle and I am the beverage director of Candle 79. A friend of mine follows your blog and sent it to me last night. Thanks for the great post on our restaurant. We appreciate the love :)

I forwarded it to the owners, and I will also send it to the owners of Heller Estate and Sherwood House vineyards. They will like to see it as well.

Just a heads up, we do now have a full bar complete with organic spirits and fresh seasonal cocktails. We still have a sake-based cocktail on the menu, but as of October of last year, we have a full sustainable bar. We even have cocktails that help plant trees in Brazil! Check out the list… http://candle79.com/images/uploads/candle-79-cocktails.pdf

Join us again for more delicious food and perhaps an Eco-Cocktail.

Cheers!

Kyle

lilly December 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I wish I could make a trip this month, I love NYC in December! Hopefully next year!
It’s funny how people find different cities easier to navigate. I haven’t used the subway system in that many cities, but I find the ones in Washington DC and the London tube very easy to navigate, and I get so lost in NY.

Allison December 4, 2011 at 12:43 am

What great pictures! My sister is a waitress at Candle 79 where you went- ha funny! I just got back from NYC myself. It’s the perfect time to visit!

Katie rogers December 7, 2011 at 11:32 pm

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing. Is it tough sticking to a vegan diet while traveling? Do you find it tempting to experience non-vegan foods? I know my husband would go nuts if we went to vegan/veg restaurants nearly every meal especially in NYC. Does Eric really not mind?
Glad you had a safe and fun trip!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 7, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Hey Katie, Eric is actually a big fan of vegan cuisine….he always says how vegan food is just as good as non-vegan food so he doesnt mind it. We also went to quite a few non-vegan restaurants during our trip as well.