New York: Part 1

If you guessed we’re in the Big Apple, you’d be right!

IMG_0266

We lucked out with the weather this weekend; it’s been warm and sunny with highs reaching 15-17C!! Who knew? Today is supposed to reach 20C! Peeling off layers is always a nice surprise.

IMG_0264

IMG_0143

We’ve been getting quite the workout too. No need for the hotel exercise room while staying in NYC. Walking and the subway have been our sources of transportation with the occasional cab when it’s midnight and our legs feel like bricks. I absolutely love to walk, so it’s been a nice break from regular workouts.

IMG_0122

When we arrived on Saturday morning, we had a bit of a rocky start to our trip. We flew in on a prop plane on Continental Airlines and when we were boarding the plane they made everyone check “carry-on” suitcases under the plane. We weren’t thinking about our valuables in the carry-on because it caught us off guard, but once on the plane we immediately had a bad feeling about it. When we got to the hotel we discovered that our laptop (which was in Eric’s carry-on) was damaged badly. So now, I’m blogging on half a screen and the rest of the screen is super fuzzy. Doh! Hopefully we can get some sort of compensation from the airline, but I doubt it. So if you see a bunch of weird characters or typos, don’t blame me. ;)

Anyways, we’re staying at The Warwick Hotel. It’s an older hotel, but we got a great deal on it through Hotwire and saved a lot of money.

IMG_0026 IMG_0024 IMG_0025

Then we were off on foot to explore! Eric’s work droid has come in very handy for Google Maps. ;)

IMG_0009 IMG_0006

Isn’t technology great? He was able to plan all our destinations on a map.

…such as Central Park:

IMG_0078

We’ve been enjoying the photography on this trip as usual. :)

By the way, someone asked me where my boots are from. I recently picked them up at PAYLESS SHOES….I don’t usually have good finds there, but this season I did. The boots are made for walking….literally!  My brown jacket is from Le Chateau. Both HQ pleather. ;)

IMG_4826

IMG_0082

IMG_0083

Then we explored

IMG_0088

IMG_0090

IMG_0092

Much more happened on Saturday, so a Part II will be coming up.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have vegan doughnuts to eat!

IMG_0336

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 28, 2011

Love your boots & jacket :) I never have luck at Payless but so many people find awesome steals there…totally jealous!
You should at least try to see what the airline says about the damage, that really stinks. :(

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2011

I usually don’t have luck there either, but once and a while I find something in my size! We’re filing a damage report with the airline so here’s hoping…

3 Sana November 28, 2011

:) I love NY so much! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

4 kaity November 28, 2011

you had a perfect time for nyc its never this nice here this time of year i lovee it! and i no all the vegan dessert places make up for all the walking i always say:-) esp if your gointa babycakes and its sucha tripp!

5 sarah November 28, 2011

You must stop in at Soft Serve Fruit–soooo good! The Perfect Slice in the village is also my fave.

Have fun!

6 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 28, 2011

As a wide-footed gal, I never have luck finding cute shoes at Payless. I LURVE those boots! :)

This weekend’s weather was glorious…glad you were able to get out and enjoy NYC!

7 Faith @ For the Health of It November 28, 2011

I’m going in January and I’m psyched – especially for running Central Park! Keep the trip reviews coming, I can’t wait to hear more about the best things to go see!

8 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 28, 2011

OMG girl….I would dieee to have been in the city this past week/end! It was beautiful in Jersey, and as I can see, equally gorgeous weather in new york. Ugh. Love the city.

9 Sabrina November 28, 2011

Amazing! I am super jealous, I really really love NYC! I have to go to stupid LA this year and thus cannot make it out to NYC. Its just got a great vibe. I hope you and Eric are loving it! and Im sorry about your laptop, stupid airline. just to let you know i was able to get compensation from an airline from a similar thing just stick to your guns and dont take no for an answer :D
Sabs

10 MAURA November 28, 2011

Honestly…just once…can you have Eric take a really bad photo of you when you just get out of bed….or something? You look gorgeous in every photo and it’s not fair! ha ha ha ha!

11 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty November 28, 2011

That’s so funny, I was looking at those boots online last night, LOVE them!!

Do you guys have the urban spoon app downloaded on your phone? Best app for travelling, as it helps find awesome restaurants that you wouldn’t normally find!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

12 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 28, 2011

Great pics! I love your jacket :)

13 Ally November 28, 2011

LOVE your NYC outfit! You fit right in with the stylish NY residents :) I hope your share where you got those vegan doughnuts in Part II of your NYC posts. My husband and I are heading there in a couple of months and I would love to try a vegan doughnut!

14 Samantha @ Ferraro Kitchen November 28, 2011

I love NY so much…there is nothing like the feel of that City!

15 Shannon November 28, 2011

New York has so many places to eat! Soy and Sake has great sushi, and Lula’s Apothecary is the BEST option for vegan ice cream.

16 Nettie Moore November 28, 2011

You are so lucky that you had nice weather! I met Rege many years ago when I worked in BH! Love him! and Kelly is the best!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 28, 2011

Oooh looks like fun Ange! And by the way, I love your haircut!! Sorry to hear about the laptop being damaged. Hopefully you can get some sort of compensation for it, especially since you didn’t know ahead of time that you’d have to check your carry-ons. I hope there’s a vegan donut re-creation coming up on your blog soon! :)

18 jenna November 28, 2011

ohhhhhhh how much fun!! i was just telling my family how much fun it would to be in nyc for Thanksgiving! your outfit is adorable and i can’t wait to hear about your eats!!!

19 Rachel November 28, 2011

Welcome to my home!! You definitely lucked out with the weather; it’s been GORGEOUS. Enjoy! Do. Not. Miss. Candle 79.

20 Luv What You Do November 28, 2011

Just got back from NYC myself. The weather was amazing and I am getting ready to post my pictures today. We got to do some exciting things (High Line Tour) but I didn’t make it to BabyCakes : (

21 Lesley November 28, 2011

Angela, if you get a chance you should try the restaurant Candle 79! I just read through their cookbook and it looks amazing!! Haha, I see someone else already suggested it, whoops!

22 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe November 28, 2011

Your boots and jacket are adorable! I need to get a cute (p)leather jacket for the fall weather. Glad the weather has held up for you, I can’t believe that it’s the end of November!

23 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 28, 2011

Great boots!!!

I am obsessed with NY :-) So happy you were there … makes me giddy just thinking about that place!!

24 Hannah November 28, 2011

Were you there during our Thanksgiving? It must have been insane in NYC especially with Black Friday!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2011

nope we arrived on Sat :)

26 Addy November 28, 2011

I’m definitely checking out Payless…your trip looks amazing! I’ve always wanted to go to NYC in the fall. How long are you there for? Have a great time!

27 Tasha November 28, 2011

love the boots! resisting cyber monday shopping is over in 5,4,3,2,1 …

28 Mahesha November 28, 2011

NYC public transportation is great! (except the pee smell and the big rats and the dirt on the subway) :) I used to walk everywhere! Never went to a gym cos it was good enough of a workout. I miss NYC so much ever since I moved back to Sri Lanka in January. Your pictures give me happy chills lol :)

29 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 28, 2011

have so much fun!!! i absolutely love new york city. i always say i could never live there (too crowded, crazy + busy), but exploring for a weekend? there’s nothing better.

30 Lindsay November 28, 2011

Loved your boots so much I had to order myself a pair – now lets hope they come before my excursion to NYC next week!

31 Jessica @ Chockohlawtay November 28, 2011

I miss NYC so much! And you’re in luck, as there are plenty of vegan restaurants (and bakeries ;) ) there. I wish I was you right now!

32 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 28, 2011

Lucky!!! I can’t believe I still have yet to go. I do have a list of restaurants I want to try there though! :)

Have fun!

33 Jessica November 28, 2011

Ooooh, NYC! We’re planning a NY trip for next year and I never thought to use Hotwire. We’ve always used Expedia, so it’ll be nice to have something to compare it to. I’m totally looking forward to eating some authentic NYC pizza/bagels, so you’ll have to let us know if you find a hot vegan/vegetarian place for both!

Too bad about Eric’s laptop. Hopefully something good will come out of filing a complaint. If their customer service is worth anything, they would want to keep their fliers happy.

34 Cait's Plate November 28, 2011

You’re here at the PERFECT time! The weather couldn’t be better!

35 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 28, 2011

seconded. It’s so unseasonably gorgeous outside!

36 Cristina November 28, 2011

NYC is awesome! Did a similar trip last January. I ate at a ton of delicious Vegan restaurants. Can’t wait to read your food adventures!! :) have the best time!

37 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 28, 2011

You got so lucky with the beautiful weather! Enjoy!

38 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 28, 2011

Love your photos!! I’m going to NYC the weekend after next and can only HOPE for the same weather!!
Thanks so much for posting that you got those boots at Payless- I am in great need of boots that look just like that, and wouldn’t have even thought to check out Payless! I’m on it!

39 Shanna, like Banana November 28, 2011

Your haircut looks amazing! Suits you so well. And those are some damn cute boots. Way to go Payless!

Have fun in NYC :)

40 Christine @ The Brighter Side of Life November 28, 2011

The pics look incredible! I’ve yet to visit the Big Apple, but it’s on my must-do list! Hope that regardless of the rocky start, the trip was fantastic!

41 Vanessa November 28, 2011

Oh my gosh….I am so jealous that you got to see the Regis plaque! I want to go to Live with Kelly sooo bad!

I hope you have an awesome time…NYC is second-to-none. Cute outfit btw!

42 bitt of raw November 28, 2011

NYC is always so fun. Good to know that you are wearing pleather. I wasn’t sure if your veganism extended to clothing or not.

Did you like the Babycakes donut? I recently had one and it wasn’t that great. I was so disappointed. The cupcakes are also only good if you have them on the first day. But I want to get their cookbook so I can make my own.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2011

Yea, I loved their chocolate crunch doughnut! Very cake like but good.

44 Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous November 28, 2011

I love those boots! I can’t believe they are from payless!

45 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) November 28, 2011

I have those boots in black and I love them! They are great for walking but I’m not sure they will be warm enough in the winter, I’ll have to get some wool socks.

46 Amanda November 28, 2011

I love your outfit! I’m going to look into that jacket. It’s so cute!

Hope you have a blast in NYC! I haven’t been in over a year and I’m definitely due for a visit.

47 Carley November 28, 2011

NYC is seriously a foodie’s paradise!! Its surprising how many healthy options there are, even on the street!!

Have fun!!

48 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles November 28, 2011

Looks like you’re having an awesome time. Sorry about the laptop though, such a bummer! It has been unseasonably warm up here in the Northeast, what a great time to visit. And I certainly need to find some boots at Payless!

49 Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy November 28, 2011

New york city is one of my favorite places to visit! These are wonderful pictures!

50 Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl November 28, 2011

New York is so fun! I hope to live there soon…

51 Laura @ She Eats Well November 28, 2011

NYC looks so beautiful. Being there this time of year is my favorite; the leaves are gorgeous and the chill in the air…and seeing all the decorations go up. Enjoy!

52 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl November 28, 2011

Score on the Payless find! Might need to check that out. ;)

Thanks for sharing your NYC trip – I’ve always wanted to go, but have not done so yet.

53 Sara Grambusch November 28, 2011

Fun! I wish we could all visit Canada while you guys are in the US, as if that makes any sense, lol. Country switch! ;)

54 Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 28, 2011

I find a lot of great things at Payless purely because I know they’ll be pleather :)! Btw, did you go to Babycakes? That’s a must if I ever get to NYC!

55 Amber K November 28, 2011

Have a great time! I once scored an awesome pair of dressy sandals at Payless for $8. Love that.

56 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 28, 2011

What a bummer about Eric’s laptop :( Hopefully the airline does take some responsibility. btw, no typos ;)
Your boots & jacket look fabulous! Sounds like a lot of fun- I really love walking, too, and tend to do a lot of it on vacation. And now I want a vegan donut with sprinkles! :D

57 Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) November 28, 2011

I live in NYC and I can totally attest to the absolutely AMAZING weather we got this weekend. You really lucked out!!! I hope you’re having a great time exploring still.

58 Kcirrehs November 28, 2011

Oh Goodness! New York City! Please, please, please, visit Pure Food and Wine, stuff your face & review for us. That is one of my places to eat on my restaurant bucket list! Have fun on your visit!

59 hannah alehandra November 28, 2011

Mmmm, send a vegan doughtnut my way please!! Looks like you’re having fun in the big apple. Kiss from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

60 Katie November 28, 2011

omg! are you still in NY? You must go to rice to riches!!!! its not vegan – but its my only non-vegan splurge! Oh and if you are going to be in Union Square you must must must go to Herbal Pizza – vegan pizza heaven! Enjoy!

61 Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood November 28, 2011

I live in New York! I’m so glad that you love it here and are having a good time. All the sights look amazing, as does that vegan donut ;)

62 Kit-Kat November 28, 2011

Cute jacket! Wish I had one! :-)
The doughnut looks so yummy! Where did you get it?

63 Rachel November 28, 2011

I hope you went to BabyCakes! Delicious vegan treats :)

64 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 28, 2011

I’m soooo loving your outfit. You two look so trendy in the big city! Keep filling us in with your beautiful pics.

65 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner November 28, 2011

What a good looking couple you two are!
Wow.. so sorry to hear about the laptop. Looks like you are having a GREAT time though.
Love the boots.. I never find much at payless either.. but I may just have to go and take a look again :)

66 Rachel November 28, 2011

Hi Angela, welcome to my hometown! I am sure you’ve done your homework, but just to make sure you eat well during your stay here, I thought I might make a few recommendations. As a lifelong New Yorker and veg for many years, these places would top my “can’t miss” list: Angelica Kitchen (East Village), Peacefood (Upper West Side), Candle Cafe (Upper East Side), One Lucky Duck (Gramercy and Chelsea Market). I am not much of a dessert girl, but when I need a vegan ice cream fix, I head right for Stogo (East Village). Have fun!!! Oh, and yes, you totally lucked out on the weather : )

67 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 28, 2011

I love your outfit! You look awesome!

And I am so sorry that your had damage to your valuables…that is just not right!! And I bet the airlines are just like..”whatever”..not our problem under the such and such liability clause. I have had experiences like that and it’s so frustrating.

Hopefully your awesome trip is making up for it :)

68 Candice @ Sailing on Paper November 28, 2011

I’ve never been to NY, but your pictures make me want to visit! Especially the ones of Central Park…so gorgeous.

69 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware November 28, 2011

Did you go to BabyCakes Bakery? I have wanted to try those vegan doughnuts as well as cupcakes! Can’t wait to hear more. Looks like a great trip.

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2011

you bet!

71 Madelne Moersch November 28, 2011

Go to candle cafe! amazing vegan restaurant!

72 Kendall November 28, 2011

That looks like Babycakes!!! :) You have to try Pure Food and Wine/One Lucky Duck and you MUST go to Peacefood Cafe on the UWS!

73 Mary Schaubert November 28, 2011

You have to go to Lula’s Sweet Apothecary! Completely vegan ice cream – made from cashews, and get the brownie sundae – it’s unreal!! It’s the best tasting vegan ice cream I’ve ever had, it’s too bad you can’t buy it in stores! Babycakes is overrated though – everything tastes too much like coconut! Oh, and obviously Candle 79 – celeb sightings like crazy and the BEST vegan food ever : )

74 Jonathan November 28, 2011

New York, New York! It _is_ a wonderful town. And despite the laptop, it seems like everything else is working beautifully in your favor.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Angela!

75 Helene November 28, 2011

You have to eat at Candle Cafe while in NYC. The sweet potato, black bean, millet casserole is amazing!

76 Meredith November 28, 2011

Welcome to the Big Apple!!! I grew up in the area, but there’s always more to see and explore. I see from your photos that you’re doing a good job!! Enjoy your visit; I look forward to reading your other city adventures.

77 Alexandra T November 28, 2011

Your trip looks amazing so far!! Happy you have the amazing weather :)

The hotel looks cute! You’re so close to MOMA. Not sure if you’re into art, but I would dieeeee to go there.

78 Ann November 28, 2011

Dirt Candy (all veggies all the time) in the East Village is supposed to be phenomenal. We tried going when we were there, but it was closed for a special event. Batali’s Eataly has some great vegan options if you go to the “Le Verdure” station. (Also the shortest wait.) Have fun!

79 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 28, 2011

That’s such a bummer about Eric’s laptop! I say just keep on complaining to the airlines until they do something about it. That always works for my mom. ;)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

80 Elisa November 28, 2011

Definitely go to Candle 79…go hungry and I recommend making a dinner of the appetizers- although the live zucchini as a main dish is amazing. Drinks are scrumptious too!

81 Stephenie Zamora November 28, 2011

I looooooove NYC, looks like you had (or are having) a blast!

82 Heather November 28, 2011

You’ll have to try Candle 79 and Queen of Sheeba! enjoy the city! It would have funny to run into you!

83 Rachel November 28, 2011

You should check out the One Lucky Duck cafe… also the union square farmers market it great! Have a great trip!

84 AG November 28, 2011

Are you still there? You need to check out Babycakes NYC!!! Vegan and Gluten free goodies!!!

85 Moni'sMeals November 28, 2011

I am so happy for you! I love these pictures!! *sigh*. :)

86 Melissa November 28, 2011

I also had some luck at Payless this fall~ black wedge “shootie” and knee high black suede wedge boot!!! I may have to go back for the brown boots!!! I love your haircut~ so glad you decided to go for it!!!!

87 Melissa Darr November 28, 2011

Bummer about the laptop! Look forward to see more of your yummy recipes when you get back! :-)

88 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 28, 2011

I’m so glad you’re having fun. Come to LA next time, okay? ;)

89 Samantha November 29, 2011

I have those exact boots and I LOVE them! I never have good luck either! They were having a BOGO sale too and I couldn’t find another pair so I walked out with boots and half priced socks haha :)
Is that a Babycakes NYC cupcake in the last picture?! I feel like that frosting is totally theirs! Not that I follow their frosting swirls…Because that wouldn’t be normal…

90 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 29, 2011

Gorgeous!!! You totally lucked out with the weather!! Don’t they get snow now?! WTF???

I think I’ve gotten 1 pair of good shoes from Payless all the times I’ve been in there! Good Job!

Have a blast dollface!!
xxoo

91 Kathy November 29, 2011

That sucks, having Eric’s laptop broken. Hope the airline does something about it; it was on their plane that created the damage!

92 esmemerrie November 29, 2011

Fun! I was in New York but never made it to Central Park! Looks like I have a reason to return! And I can’t believe that boots from Payless are comfortable to walk in! Good to know :)

93 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 29, 2011

I hope you have a great trip – looks fantastic so far!

94 Katrina November 29, 2011

This sounds so fun!

95 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 29, 2011

So jealous! I want to go to NY! Be safe, take picures of Macy’s!!

96 Kerri Conger November 29, 2011

I have rarely shopped at Payless but saw a pair of grey “suede” boots on their commercial that i had to have. I went in the store and walked out with the ones i went in there for AS WELL as the exact same boots you have on for just $50 (BOGO + a coupon i found online)! I wear the boots like yours almost all the time and love love love them so now i am a payless convert. They also have large calf sizes on most of their boots online and you can ship to store from their website for free! You have gotta act fast, these brown boots were a fast sale item for Payless (the lady there told me that they cannot keep them in store) and they were all out online last month.

Great post & pics, love that you are repping these boots… Now im off to find that jacket, what a great match!

97 Nicki November 29, 2011

These. pictures. are. gorgeous!!! Can you tell me where you got those jeans? I’m looking for a good fit for boots that are comfortable…those look great on you!

98 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 29, 2011

I can’t wait to read more! Awesome boots! *boot envy*

(I accidentally typed booty envy! HA!)

99 Danielle November 29, 2011

I’m so in love with the boots! I’ll have to start looking there again, I never found good stuff there in the past. Have fun in NYC! This time of the year is amazing there.

100 Joann@womaninreallife November 29, 2011

I am devoted to Payless…only because they have my size (11). I am envious of your trip. I haven’t been to New York for 10 years. Can’t wait to try all the vegetarian restaurants! Enjoy!

101 Lia November 29, 2011

I hope you enjoyed the city while you were there, and I certainly hope you enjoyed the vegan dining! Don’t mind the elbows in your sides and the glares. They’re just newyorkers ;P

102 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 29, 2011

Oh thats crappy! They should definitely compensate you! I’ll keep my fingers crossed, what a pain though! At least you are in one of the most amazing places ever!! I am ridiculously jealous! ;) Hope you two have a great time!! :)

103 eileen November 29, 2011

We were just in NYC too!!! Next time you go, stop to see New York Dosas …a vegan food cart located at Washington Square Park….a warm and friendly, hard working Dosa guy that serves up the greatest lunch in New York.

104 Maria November 29, 2011

Where’d you get the donuts? Did you go to Babycakes NYC?! If so please share details! Its on my places to visit next time I’m in NYC.

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2011

yes I did :) I will blog about it soon!

106 Jolene (Homespun Heritage) November 29, 2011

NYC is so much fun! Seriously, one the of the best places on earth to explore!

107 Maddy November 30, 2011

I can already tell those are babycakes donuts :) MY FAVORITE! Just nibbling on a cinnamon sugar one as I type :)

108 Britt Beck December 1, 2011

My absolute favorite vegan snack is hummus… Sooo many different flavours, and so many different things you can dip in it! The thought of it makes my mouth water! Have fun in NYC!