Vegan Holiday Dinner Ideas + A New Recipe

IMG_4410

One of my frequently asked questions around this time of the year is always, “What vegan recipes can I make for my upcoming holiday meals that will impress the skeptics?”

Eating vegetarian, vegan, or other special diet can be challenging, especially around the holidays. It doesn’t help matters when “Uncle Joe” is ranting and raving about the lack of turkey on your plate either! Obviously, many traditional holiday foods are based around animal products, but that doesn’t mean that you have to eat dry lettuce all weekend. Even if you are a meat eater, you can still bring along a vegan dish to impress your family as well. And who knows, once you get your feet wet, you just might find yourself hosting your very own vegan holiday dinner!

When I first became a vegan in 2009, I told my family that I’d love to bring a couple vegan dishes to contribute. Not only is the host/hostess usually eager to have help, but it assures me that I won’t go hungry during a meal that should be fun and celebratory. It also lets the cook know that I don’t expect them to spend hours trying to figure out what to make me. Plus, it’s always fun for me to surprise others with just how delicious vegan recipes can be. Well two years and many vegan recipes later, they aren’t so surprised anymore, but I guess that’s a good thing.

IMG_4397

On Sundays, I love to cook a big hearty meal and this is even more true during Fall and Winter as the temperatures drop and the evenings darken. This weekend, I used Sunday’s meal to try a new holiday recipe that I could share with you. The recipe is a stunning rice pilaf that would make a great addition to any holiday meal. My inspiration came from a “wild rice stuffing” recipe in Bon Appetit, but I don’t like to call it stuffing because 1) it’s more like a hearty rice pilaf, and 2) I’m not stuffing anything, unless of course you count stuffing this dish in my pie hole. Yes, come to think of it I did a lot of stuffing this weekend.

IMG_4411

I’ve never made a rice pilaf quite like this. It’s luxurious tasting while being deceptively healthy and low in oil. The dish only uses 1 tablespoon of olive oil, yet tastes incredibly rich and buttery. Not to mention, it’s packed with antioxidants and other nutrients including cranberries, dried apricots, pecans, and more.

I’ve been looking for a dish like this that I could make for my own holiday dinner and I’m happy to report that I will certainly be making this again at Christmas! I hope you enjoy it too.

IMG_4403

I served dinner with my Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf, steamed carrots (mixed with a bit of Earth Balance, Herbamare, pepper, and sage), maple cornbread muffins (working on the recipe), and High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Vegan Gravy.

IMG_4422

IMG_3766

I will share this recipe soon, complete with a step-by-step tutorial on making a perfect lattice pie crust.

IMG_3708

Need less to say, we’re going to eat very well this week. Anyone want to come over for leftovers?

IMG_4408

Looking for other ideas?

This Ain’t Grandmas Sweet Potato Casserole is one of my favs (this picture does not do it justice). You can prepare it (without cooking) the day before (and place in the fridge), bring to room temperature, and cook it 45 mins before dinner is served.

20101002IMG_4262_thumb

Brownie Pumpkin Pie with a Crunchy Pecan Streusel Topping is very well-reviewed too.

20101002IMG_4102

Now hopefully you can keep your cool, have fun, and give thanks for all your blessings this holiday season.

Stay tuned for a few more holiday dishes coming up! In addition to the pie recipe, I have a few other things planned (maybe a festive harvest salad, a drink, and another fruity side dish) so hopefully they turn out!

What is your biggest hurdle with holiday dinners? Eating healthy? Being veg or gluten-free, etc? Getting along with “Uncle Joe”?

1 Kalli November 14, 2011

Oh these are so wonderful Angela. I am struggling because I want to stay vegan during tday week. We are spending the week with my husbands parents but everyone will be wondering how come you won’t eat this or not. It makes me sad. Both my husband and I have been feeling so good on this way of eating. Any suggestions?

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Hi Kalli, It’s definitely tricky to navigate and I can relate to your concerns. I remember the first year I was a vegan I was so nervous to tell people, but luckily it wasn’t as bad as I imagined it would be. I have received my fair share of comments/questions though, but it kind of comes with the territory. What works for me is to let the host know well in advance of the actual holiday. I think most people appreciate a heads up if you are going to be eating in a certain way. I always say, what would you do if you had a gluten allergy or nut allergy? You would tell the host in advance, right? Well, I kind of see a veg lifestyle in a similar way (not like an allergy of course, but something that should be communicated in advance). I also let them know that I don’t mind bringing a couple dishes or making a couple during the stay, to contribute and offload the stress on the cook. This tends to work quite well for me and everyone is always happy to have some yummy dishes to try out. I hope it goes well for you and your husband.

3 Jackie Smith November 14, 2011

Just to add to what Angela’s already said, I found that it helped my mom when I reminded her that “normal” food is vegan (spaghetti, tacos, soup, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches!). I think people panic & forget that they eat vegan (or nearly so) on a regular basis.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

That is a great point!

5 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe November 14, 2011

I have been waiting all year to make that brownie pumpkin pie. My husbands family is largely lactose-intolerant, so I’m lucky that people are actually excited to eat vegan desserts every year.

6 Sam November 18, 2011

My family and I am the same! While not vegan, I am always so excited to find vegan meals and recipes since I know I can eat them without fear of feeling ill later! Being able to eat the batter is always a bonus (and a must with the brownie pumpkin pie!) ;)

7 Cait's Plate November 14, 2011

Oh my gosh that Brownie Pumpkin Pie with a Crunchy Pecan Streusel Topping looks AH-MAZING!!!

I would say my biggest struggle would just be portions. Though I don’t tend to worry about it too much because I figure it’s just one day and I know I’ll be back on track afterward!

8 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 15, 2011

I second that!!! It looks frikkin amazing!!! As does that pilaf! :)

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 14, 2011

Wow, this looks so bright and colourful Ange – it belongs on the Whole Foods salad bar! ;) As far as holiday hurdles go, I’d say one of my biggest is getting past all the driving down the 401! I’m not good with long car journeys but I just have to keep reminding myself that seeing the people at the other end will make it all worth it. Oh, that and figuring out how to hoard all the Brussels sprouts for myself. LOL!! :)

10 alyce November 14, 2011

thank you so much for posting this! i’m living back with my family and am trying to gear up for a thanksgiving with them, all omnivores (and i swear my brother ONLY eats cheeseburgers and bacon- he wouldn’t be caught dead with anything green on his plate)- so it’s tricky! i love the idea of cooking my own dishes to contribute. thanks for the *delicious* looking ideas!

11 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 14, 2011

I love this stuffing idea! I made one last winter with figs, but I like the idea of apricots in this version. I bet some mushrooms would be good in it too.

P.S. I made your pumpkin mac n’ cheeze sauce last night – it was soooo good! I think I have a new addiciton. :)

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Oh man figs would be amazing! Great idea. :)

Glad you enjoyed the sauce!

13 Erica @ Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks November 14, 2011

The pumpkin pie looks heavenly… holy cow. And I’ll definitely be making your pilaf/non-stuffing for my family dinner! Great recipes, per usual :)

14 Doran November 14, 2011

I’m drooling on my keyboard! Happy Monday!

15 Maria November 14, 2011

Great ideas and the pilaf looks fabulous!

16 Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 14, 2011

Your food is unreal. Seriously – wow!

Last year, I made your quinoa with nuts and apricots. It was amazing and everyone loved it! You’ve inspired me to create my own dishes this year and I can not wait! :-)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Thank you Heather :) So glad to hear that. Have fun with the recipe creation!

18 kjerstiye November 14, 2011

Your comment about “Not only is the host/hostess usually eager to have help, but it assures me that I won’t go hungry during a meal that should be fun and celebratory” is SO TRUE for being Celiac as well.
Most folks panic when you say they can’t eat gluten, or they’re super well meaning and they go out of their way to make something they think is GF but actually has modified corn starch or soy sauce (two big hidden sources of gluten) and then you look like a jerk quizzing them on the ingredients and then not eating it. Then everyone feels bad. I always bring a salad (with a safe GF sauce), a side and some sort of dessert, no matter where I am invited. That way I know for sure I’m going to get a good meal, my host/hostess doesn’t have to freak out about me all night.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

I would imagine that would be so difficult too. I’m glad that you are able to brings some things with you so you don’t have to worry!

20 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 14, 2011

This year’s holiday hurdle is going vegetarian!

My husband and I always have our own meal on Thanksgiving Day as my family doesn’t get together until the weekend. So, instead of the turkey, I’m going to make the vegan chickpea cutlets from Post Punk Kitchen and attempt their “Thanksgiving in an hour” meal! I’m also going to tackle Brussels sprouts for the first time…those tiny little cabbages scare me! LOL!

I think the hardest part will be going to my family’s dinner and explaining to them why I’m not having the turkey or sausage dressing. Coming from a small town farm family (we raised cattle and hogs and my uncle is a butcher!), they might have a hard time figuring that out. Here’s hoping!

21 Melissa November 14, 2011

I’m really spoiled because my mom has been a vegan for 13 years! Needless to say, she has perfected the art of vegan.. everything!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Wow..go mom! :)

23 Andrea @ Vegvacious November 14, 2011

I can’t wait to try that vegan pumpkin pie! I’m heading to the US to celebrate American Thanksgiving with the fam, so I’ll get to “test” out some of these recipes before Christmas rolls around! Happy Monday :-)

24 Alix November 14, 2011

looks yummy, and I have some wild rice to use up. can’t wait to try it! I’ve been tweaking my diet and the foods I eat a lot lately, and while I don’t have any life-threatening sensitivities, I think eating dairy makes my skin break out TERRIBLY and makes me feel “ugh” in general. Unfortunately it’s in so many holiday foods! I don’t mind the teasing from my own family, but I feel rude/uncomfortable when I don’t eat or have only a little of the food my boyfriend’s parents make us around the holidays :(

25 Amanda November 14, 2011

This will be the first year being veg at holiday time. My mother in law had an in depth conversation with me the other night about how eating vegan isnt right becuase God gave us animals to serve us, and they are inferior creatures. I’ve never been so close to smacking an old lady in my life. Christmas is going to be challenging.

P.S she also told me she didn’t know how my relationship will work with so much pressure of him eating meat and me not (even though he supports me 110% and pretends to like vegan cookies to make me happy)

26 Elle November 14, 2011

Aw, that’s horrible! I’m a Christian vegan with an unreasonable mom as well, so I totally know where you’re coming from. She’s never sat down and talked to me like that but she does make a big show out of her meat-eating, leaving tendons and blood all over the kitchen counter. What your mother is saying to you isn’t Biblical so definitely don’t worry about that (if you were at all) and I pray for the best for you. Stay strong!

27 lauren @ spiced plate November 14, 2011

Thanks for all of these delicious looking recipes, Angela! I’m working on a menu for the Thanksgiving dinner that I’m hosting — I love to host because as a gluten-free vegetarian, it’s the only way to ensure that I get to EAT something besides salad! I agree with you about stuffing — I think we’ve always had it on the side anyways. I love the lentil walnut loaf and might have to add that to the line up! p.s. — Are you going to be hosting any more recipe round-ups?

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Oh yea GF veg would be tough for sure!

hmm I might. Maybe a holiday round up would be really fun?

29 Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 14, 2011

I think ANY meat eater would LOVE these dishes :-)

30 Dana November 14, 2011

Hi Angela,
last year I made my first vegan Thanksgiving and everyone loved the gray recipe you had on the wed site.
This year I an cooking for 20 people . It will be for mostly vegetarian.
One receipe that I tested that was great is mashed sweet potatoes with candied pecans.
You must try it!

31 Amanda November 14, 2011

I love that the focus of your recipes is on delicious, wholesome ingredients, rather than the vegan meat substitutes. Things like seitan definitely have their place, but I much prefer this style of vegan eating.

Excited for your pumpkin pie recipe! I made one on Friday (recipe on my blog!) that was really good, but I’m always looking to see how other people make theirs. The crust, in particular, can be a little intimidating.

32 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 14, 2011

What great ideas! Can’t wait for the pumpkin pie recipe, it all looks fab :D

33 Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) November 14, 2011

This sounds amazing, I can’t wait to try it out. My biggest struggle during the holidays is not pigging out on sweets! I have a crazy sweet tooth and if I don’t pay attention I could eat a whole dessert tray!

34 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 14, 2011

I could OD on sweets and wine. Seriously. My family is eastern european and we go craz-zay. We cork at like…noon and bake all damn day, taste everything, make giant portions, etc. If it weren’t for the 10mi turkey trot in the am, I’d be a friggen house.

35 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance November 14, 2011

10 miles the next day???

36 Sara Grambusch November 14, 2011

I’ve got a freezer full of cranberries so I’m good to go there. I have been wanting to make those potatoes since last year. No more excuses ;)

37 Kim November 14, 2011

I just printed out the recipe for the brownie/pumpkin pecan pie— it looks AMAZING. I am so glad you have so many vegan friendly thanksgiving recipes. I definitely struggle with this holiday since I stopped eating meat, and I still receive my fair share of rude comments. I’m so glad I have these delicious substitutes though.

38 katie @KatieDid November 14, 2011

I made the mistake of not communicating my gluten intolerance to the host of our day after thanksgiving family party last year and actually did not end up having nearly anything to eat! I definetely learned from that though and made plenty of dishes to bring for christmas and talked to her beforehand- it worked out much better!

39 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance November 14, 2011

I can’t wait to make the sweet potato casserole for my family this year! Thanksgiving used to be difficult, being baited with questions about animal rights always put me on edge. After years of passing on the turkey platter, my finace’s family has just accepted me as “that vegetarian one” and stop trying to grill me. :)

40 tweal November 14, 2011

Oh my gosh, that whole meals looks and sounds amazing! I don’t usually love rice pilaf but this one is so pretty. And your pumpkin pie looks stellar too. Can’t wait to try some of these recipes, thanks for sharing Angela :)

41 Gillian G. @ When Bread Is Broken November 14, 2011

Aaaah, your sweet potato casserole looks just like my Southern mom’s – how exciting! I so rarely see the “casseroles” as opposed to the pies with the marshmallows on top, which make me gag. I love marshmallows but for some reason that weirds me out….
anyway, maybe my mom & I can have a SP-off and I’ll make your vegan one – could be interesting!

42 Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness November 14, 2011

We’re having Thanksgiving at home this year, but I’m a vegan in a family of carnivores! I’ve been on the hunt for some great recipes and that stuffing/pilaf looks fantastic. And your brownie pumpkin pie has been bookmarked for several weeks now :)

43 Chloe November 14, 2011

Can’t wait to see that pumpkin pie recipe! (always so tempted to say ‘punnkin’) Looks so tasty. oh who am I kidding, everything looks so tasty. -drool-

44 Ali J November 14, 2011

My problem is definitely “Uncle Joe” lol – and his son. They always make these side comments to me like, “wow this turkey is so tender and so good, are you sure you don’t want some?” or, “your plate is looking like it’s missing something…” sometimes they’ll come right out and say “why don’t you want any turkey/ham/whatever we’re eating?”

It doesn’t bother me so much anymore, i just comment on how i’m glad they’re enjoying their dinner because i’m enjoying mine as well. my biggest thing now is trying to stop myself from rolling my eyes in front of them haha

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

lol…I love your response “i’m glad you’re enjoying your dinner because i’m enjoying mine as well” so clever and to the point without being rude!

46 Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 14, 2011

Great ideas! For Christmas this year I am hosting some friends at our place for the big Christmas meal and it will all be vegetarian, so it’s a bit of a challenge on my shoulders! I look forward to trying some of these out – and I love packed pilafs, that are stuffed with all kinds of goodies. Yum!

47 Sarah with Veggie Kids November 14, 2011

The colors in that rice pilaf are beautiful! Almost too pretty to eat…almost. And that pie is just so fancy!! I’ve been making your High Protein Mashed Potatoes for a while now and it is seriously good!!

48 Alison M. November 14, 2011

Angela-
I can’t eat pecans or walnuts. Do you think roasted almonds would be okay in any of your pumpkin recipes? I desperately want to have those pumpkin brownies. Plus I can’t wait for the pumpkin pie recipe. My issue is that most veg sites are making a walnut loaf for their main dish. Any other ideas??

Thanks!
Alison

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

I would guess with the pumpkin brownie you could do without the nuts all together? I wouldn’t say it’s 100% essential for the recipe to taste good. Almonds would probably be ok too although Im having a hard time imagining the taste with pumpkin pie filling! :)

In a savoury recipe such as the lentil loaf I think it would be much easier to sub almonds for the walnuts.

50 Jill in Chicago November 14, 2011

YES, I WANT TO COME OVER FOR LEFTOVERS!!! (And can’t wait to make the pilaf :))

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

dont be jealous but I just had this for lunch! ;)

52 Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 14, 2011

That sounds amazing! I made your gingerbread cake for some friends last night and they RAVED about it. (They also said anytime I wanted to bake something, I was invited over to their house, haha) It was so good. Your recipes are always fabulous!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

haha nice! It seems to go over well with many crowds.

54 Christina @ HealthyCosmos November 14, 2011

OH Angela, as per usual, this look completely delicious! I’m so envious of your presentation skills! (And, needless to say those stellar cooking skills.) I’m definitely going to make that pilaf as one of the vegan dishes I bring to my family’s place. Thanks!!

55 Brittany @ Runwithbritt November 14, 2011

We are having a Thanksgiving potluck at work on Friday and this would be perfect! I always get a hard time from them because I’m vegetarian, but this recipe looks perfect to show how my lifestyle is delicious and healthy!

56 Jessica @ Chockohlawtay November 14, 2011

Yes, I’d like to come over for some leftovers! :D
But, I bet there isn’t any pumpkin pie left… that looks TOO good to put in the fridge for later. Can’t wait for the recipe! :)

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

there might be 1 slice left if you can get here by…5 mins. heh

58 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather November 14, 2011

I love thanksgiving every year! We typically have 2, 1 traditional one with the hubs family then 1 focused on much healthier and creative options with my family. I love all the variety!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

I like the idea of having 2! Thats what we did last year :)

60 Rebecca November 14, 2011

This is EXACTLY the question I wanted to ask! Thank you so much!

61 Stephanie November 14, 2011

Although I’m not vegan, I’ve been following your blog for a few months & I LOVE your recipes! I love to cook & bake – and search for “healthy” alternatives. Your recipes are wonderful and I’m easing toward a vegan lifestyle. Thank you so much, I look forward to each new blog!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Thank you Stephanie! :)

63 Amber K November 14, 2011

My hardest hurdle is the multiple food intolerances I have in addition to my vegetarian preferences. Basically I can’t eat anything unless I bring it myself. With some sections of family this is fine, but at others they seem offended that I bring dishes to share. They already have a TON of food and there’s barely room on the table for it. I’ve been bringing at least one dish for years so I would think they’d be used to it by now. The food issue is the main reason the holidays are so stressful!

64 Lia November 14, 2011

You have been my go to for holiday dinners! Love your holiday recipes particularly! When I went vegan, after the first awkward holiday season, my family realized they could just say, “well you have the special diet, we work, you can cook, why don’t you plan (insert holiday dinner here).” so now I take the majority of cooking, and after proving that there is sucha sweet thing as vegan goodness, they love it! Makes everyone’s life easier.

Funny enough, I had issues with my older cousin at holiday meals. He lived to Mick and argue and, as if this past year when CNN did that special on Esselstyn (spelling) and the heart attack prevention diet (ends up being a whole foods vegan diet) he’s just talking about how he is working on increasing the vegan presence in his life. I think this holidy will be peachy ;)

65 Red Deception November 14, 2011

My challenge is with “Uncle B”, who insists that I need to eat chicken and fish to be healthy! I always bring a mushroom risotto and dessert to surprise the palate of my carnivore family – this weekend all of my food was taken home, no leftovers for me! Everyone liked it very much, and I wasn’t left starving :)

66 Alexis November 14, 2011

Angela, which of these reciepes can be made before and which ones would you suggest same day prep/eating? want to try some of these delicious ideas and possibly incorporate into Cooking Demos with my clients as i feel like they are ‘crowd pleasers’.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Hey Alexis,
Great question!

Prep the day before:
– sweet potato casserole (don’t cook it, but put it in the fridge and cook the next day)
– lentil loaf (can be made a day ahead of time, but I would probably cook it for about 10 mins less and then reheat it in the oven the before serving) OR you can just not cook it all together and cook the day of (same as the SP casserole)
– You can make the mashed potatoes the day before and then heat up with a bit of milk and earth balance
– this rice pilaf can be made the day before (as indicated in the directions)
– I’ve made the brownie pumpkin pie the morning of and it was fine. Im not sure how it would be making it a day in advance, as cakes can dry out quicker than expected.

I prefer to cook my veggies the day of so they are nice and fresh, so things like carrots I would do just before serving.

Hope this helps!

68 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 14, 2011

Everything looks so drool-worthy! I wish we were neighbors ;)

69 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles November 14, 2011

Thanks for all the ideas! I’m supposed to be making a vegan feats for my sister and I to enjoy and I haven’t even started compiling recipes yet!

70 Kelly November 14, 2011

It’s so funny that you have this post today. Just last week I figured out my Thanksgiving menu…lentil loaf, sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie. I just have one question on the sweet potato casserole. It looks more like a dessert. Is it a side dish or a dessert? I’m making my own meal since I’m the only vegan but others will be sampling what I bring. I want to have something well rounded and not just desserts.

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Hey Kelly, Typically sweet potato casseroles are served as a side dish. That’s how my family always did it. The casserole is supposed to be sweet, but my version isn’t as sweet as most. I don’t think it’s “too dessert-like” for the dinner, but of course enjoy it any way you like. I’ve had it for breakfast before…shhhh. ;)

72 Kelly November 15, 2011

Thanks! Can I make the lentil loaf the night before and then bake it when I get to Mom’s? It looks like both are baked on just about the same temp. And I’m definitely trying the sweet potato casserole for breakfast the next day. Your secret is safe with me.

73 TeenyLittleSuperChef November 14, 2011

How would one even miss not having dead animal carcass on their plates when they have all these other yummy dishes to devour. I pretty much drooled on my keyboard thinking about your sweet potato casserole and the brownie pie. I have a feeling these items will be on our menu this coming Thanksgiving. This will be the first one that my husband and I will both be completely vegan and I’m happy to be able to have wonderful things to serve at our family dinner that won’t completely freak out all the carnivores. I have a feeling they’ll not only love them but probably want to know the recipes. Thanks Angela!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

I hope the recipes meet your expectations (and others!) enjoy :)

75 Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) November 14, 2011

All of these recipes look amazing!

76 Ashley November 14, 2011

Wow, you’ve got the full spread nailed down. Your pie crust is impressive and I love the nuts on top. Can’t wait to check out that recipe!! Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite desserts!

77 Moni'sMeals November 14, 2011

Such a great post. I have it pretty great when it comes to Holiday cooking, but if I had to say a challenge I face is, the skeptics…those darn “Uncle Joe’s”
However, I usually always can change their mind. :)

78 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy November 14, 2011

The pictures are making me drool at my desk! I want to make everything, espicially the cranberry, Apircot and pecan wild rice pilaf!

79 Robyn November 14, 2011

Those recipes look great – cant wait to try them, and looking forward to more:) You’re still planning on posting the biscotti thought, right?!

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

haha yes I fully intend on getting that darn biscotti recipe right! It’s just taking longer than expected. I’ll do another trial this week. :) I can’t do too many in a row or I start to go insane. Well more insane than usual..

81 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 14, 2011

YUM!!! Ok, I need to make this fancy schmancy rice dish!! Hubba Hubba!! I feel that since the meat train has stopped over here, I leave the holidays feeling fresher and lighter, you know??

Love your recipes girl!!

xxoo

82 Amy November 14, 2011

When it’s a holiday meal where no one is expected to bring anything, I get stuck eating boiled carrots and mashed potatoes… which aren’t even vegan, but full of butter. Makes me think I should just eat the turkey too! lol With those meals, I wish I could just show up like everyone else and get a break from cooking. But thanks to food blogs, I have a growing list of possible dishes to bring – just got to narrow down the quickest/easiest ones to make so that it can still feel like a break from cooking. However, this year, the hosts don’t want us using their kitchen, to put salad ingredients together or to reheat our dish…… not sure how that’s going to work – we live 2 mins from there, but we only eat a few hours into our get-together. Might be a raw vegan Christmas! heheh…

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

hmm that is challenging. It sounds like one of those thermal food bags would help (but I imagine they are expensive!). Maybe a salad packed with things like nuts, lentils, fruit, etc?

84 Carolina November 14, 2011

Hey Angela,
That sweet potato casserole looks heavenly! I’m dying to try it. I’m just not sure..is it a dessert or a main dish? I saw the ingredients and it seems to be very sweet, so…?

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

The SP casserole is traditionally served as a side dish (that’s how my family always did it). It is supposed to be sweet, but my version isn’t as sweet as most. I always loved it as a side dish growing up (and usually they had marshmallows broiled on top!!)

86 Carolina November 14, 2011

hmmmmmmm marshmallows!!! I am definately trying this out, I’ll buy some vegan marshmallows soon! :)

87 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 14, 2011

That pilaf looks amazing! I love rice dishes with dried fruit in them!

I don’t have many hurdles with my Thanksgiving dinners with my family, but I have problems when it comes to Thanksgiving treats baked by friends. They usually contain nuts (or may contain them), so I can’t eat them. :(

88 Alexandra November 14, 2011

Just read this blog while listening to Michael Buble’s new Christmas CD… okay its a little early for Christmas but I want to get in the spirit…
Definately need to try the rice pilaf and sweet potato casserole!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2011

Oh I need to check out that CD…

90 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 14, 2011

Oh man, I love stuffing! Though I’m a sucker for the bread stuffing as opposed to the rice pilafs. But that’s just me ;)

Your pumpkin pie looks beautiful! One day I wanna make one that pretty, with the ribbons on it :D

91 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 14, 2011

YES PLEASE!! I will get over the Peace bridge ASAP!! That meal looks incredible!!!!!! I want every single part of it!!!

92 Elise November 14, 2011

Where I live, in the American-South, it’s pretty traditional to cook “stuffing” in a casserole dish in the oven, instead of in a bird, and we call it dressing! Although we usually make it with cornbread and biscuits, not wild-rice, haha.

My biggest challenge at holiday meals is surprisingly not being a vegetarian (I like to cook, so always being in the kitchen to help and see how everything is made makes it easy), but a certain someone thinking I don’t eat enough! I’m more of a “grazer” and prefer to eat many small meals/snacks so when it comes to an over-sized holiday meal I simply can’t fit it all in.

93 laura November 14, 2011

Love the colour!
Can wait for the pie recipe :)

94 Stacie November 14, 2011

You had me at “Anyone want to come over….” :)

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

96 Melissa S November 14, 2011

That pie looks AMAZING!!! My biggest hurdles for holiday meals are being gluten free and lactose free! I am excited to try your rice pilaf for christmas!

97 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 14, 2011

Oh my Ange! The pilaf dish sounds fantastic along with everything else on this page! My biggest challenge at the holidays is having so many events to go to since my parents are divorced. My goal this year is to not stuff my face at every single gathering!

98 Andrea November 14, 2011

Angela, I wanted to let you know that I made your recipe for Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos last night! Prior to making it, I’d never had a burrito. Or black beans. OR butternut squash. (I know, I know..) So this was definately something new for me! I was even questioning myself while cooking thinking I might not like it but OMG yes I love it! It definately made quite a bit, so it will be nice to have leftovers for this week! :) You’ve made me a bean/burrito/butternut believer! Thank you for the recipe!

There’s a few other recipes I’m dying to make as well like the pumpkin butter swirl bread and the pumpkin gingerbread cake! I’ll let ya know how they turn out :)

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

That’s fantastic! The leftovers reheat so well too which is always nice. Enjoy!

100 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 14, 2011

Is there anything you can’t do? Really? I don’t think so. Got any problems? Go to Angela. Can’t eat what everyone else does at during the holidays? Go to Angela. Can’t do your math homework? Go to Angela.

You rock, my friend.

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

I don’t know who you are talking about but I would like to meet her someday. ;)

102 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 14, 2011

“I also finally perfected my Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe last week after working on it since late September. Oh, it’s good and well worth the wait. :)” <– YAY!!!

Nothing like one or 17 recipe trials later (I'm sure!) to perfect things. I know you always trial and re-trial and re-re-trial your recipes. Probably not a horrible 'job' with pie but ya know. Can't wait to try it.

The lattice crust is gorgeous.

Biggest hurdle with holiday meals…well, we are 2000+ miles from the nearest family so we don't have any hurdles with that.

Biggest hurdle now is that I try to cook for only three people, me, Scott, and 4 year old…without making enough leftovers to last til Xmas :)

103 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy November 14, 2011

Me and my cousin are both veg so I’m not too worried on that front. But I come from a line of amazing chefs, so I’m worried I wont be able to pace myself with all of the delicious food. Good thing I’m doing a turkey trot before hand!

104 Laura @ She Eats Well November 15, 2011

I am drooling over your Sweet Potato casserole. I must make this immediately…before Thanksgiving! I cannot wait.

105 Christine November 15, 2011

I made the ultimate vegan lentil walnut loaf for Canadian Thanksgiving and took it to my mom’s house along with a gluten free vegan pumpkin pie. The loaf was amazing! It was my first Thanksgiving without turkey and I have to say I didn’t miss it – surprisingly really – because the flavors of everything else were just so good. Thank you so much for continuing to develop such amazing recipes! I am drooling to make mashed potatoes right now (and it’s almost 10 pm… though sometimes I eat cauliflower for breakfast so why not mash…). Or maybe some gingerbread cake… :D

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

Hey Christine, I’m so happy to hear that! I too find the loaf so satisfying. There are just so many textures and flavours in it.

107 Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com November 15, 2011

This looks lovely!

108 Jillian@ladolcevitavegan November 15, 2011

That rice pilaf looks amazing! My biggest challenge during the holidays is my diet-vegan and GF. But your recipes make that a LOT easier! This is an awesome post, thanks for sharing!! :)

109 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 15, 2011

These all look so good! I’m looking for some vegetarian recipe ideas for out holiday meal as I don’t eat meat anymore.

110 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 15, 2011

My biggest hurdle would have to be being a vegetarian and dealing with the “Uncle Joes.” Yes there are more than 1 of them!!! But I have developed a thick skin over the years, and this year I will prove to them just how delicious a veg meal can be!!!

111 LizAshlee November 15, 2011

The new recipe sounds amazing- I love the idea of cranberries and pecans with the wild rice…YUM! :) As always, you inspire the most wonderful creations..thanks!

112 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 15, 2011

These all look so wonderful! I’m a meat eater so I can’t give up my turkey for Thanksgiving but I’m always looking for ways to incorporate vegan dishes into everyday life when I can. It’s nice to know there are some great comfort food classics that can be slipped in. ;)

113 jennifer @ peanut butter and peppers November 15, 2011

The Wild Rice Pilaf looks amazing! I love rice and dried fruit together it’s one of my favorite combos. I really do need to make it more and whats even better is you can make a big batch and freeze it. Thats what I do, so when I need a quick side dish or lunch I just pull a bag out my freezer bag and microwave for 2 minutes, it turns out perfect! Love all your recipes. Tried your Vegan Spice Buttercream this weekend and it was fantastic!!

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

Hey Jennifer!
I hear you about making more of rice dishes…I never do that and always regret it. It freezes so well usually. Glad to hear you enjoyed the buttercream!

115 Melissa November 15, 2011

The recipe for Wild Rice looks FABulous! Thanks for sharing! Biggest hurdle with holiday dinners is going back for seconds…along with not knowing how others prepared the dishes to know the quality and nutrition of the ingredients.

116 Katrina November 15, 2011

I’m going to send this post to some of my friends. Being vegan doesn’t have to ruin the holidays!

117 Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY November 15, 2011

I want to try the mashed potatoes, but I’m pretty sure my omni family would say, this tastes strange. Still I might do it anyway! Everything you made looks delicious though.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

I kinda worried about the same thing…well, my mom made the mashed potatoes for T-giving last year while I was there and she said she liked them better than her own! They were quite a hit. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t just blowing smoke up my ass, haha. But that’s always a possibility!

119 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 15, 2011

I’m always asked to bring some healthy dishes. My parents enjoy eating healthy, but some of my siblings are completely ignorant to the concept. Luckily, I’m not tempted by cream and butter-laden casseroles or super rich desserts, and I eat a lot of what I bring. That being said, I always sample all of the desserts… :)

120 Sonia (the Mexigarian) November 15, 2011

I Love the walnut loaf. I have made it twice so far, and it’s mostly my Hubby Eric that tears right through it.

Would black rice work instead of wild rice?

121 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

Hey Sonia, I would expect that most types of rice would work, although the cook time and liquid amounts may differ.

Glad that you both enjoyed the loaf!

122 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 15, 2011

Oh my… that pilaf looks heavenly.

123 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 15, 2011

Wow, everything looks amazing. Especially the cranberry rice creation. Yum!! I find it hard to go to a holiday dinner as a guest and find something that suits me. Second issue, not over indulging when i do find something veggie.

124 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 15, 2011

Hunnnnngggrrryyyyy. I need to make like the entire thanksgiving dinner one year and show my fam that being healthy and hot doesn’t mean eating a twig.

125 Pure2raw twins November 15, 2011

can you come cook our Thanksgiving? everything looks wonderful, especially that pie!

126 Angela@veggievinyasa.com November 15, 2011

Your pictures are so pretty, I’m ready for a Thanksgiving feast now…Biggest holiday issue is staying healthy around family

127 Laura@mypurposefullife November 15, 2011

I’ve made this Wild Rice Stuffing from Bon Appetit before and it is so good. But I really want to try your vegan version! :) Last Christmas I made your brownie pumpkin pie, alongside your coconut chai lattes (!), and both recipes got rave reviews from everyone. I got the extras since I made them :) Thanks for another great recipe to try!

128 Kit-Kat November 15, 2011

We actually HAVE an Uncle Joe who is anti-organic, and only eats meat and processed stuff, or things from cans!!! Maybe its because his wife (my aunt) is an extremist who ONLY eats organic. But it makes it really hard. I am the only vegan in my family (I’m 20, second oldest and I’m one of five siblings in a family of seven). My family is semi-vegitarian, but they still eat cheese, yogurt, fish, and chicken (no milk for them or any kind of “red meat”). I still find ways to eat good food, and my family is very supportive on my food decisions….. but not my outer-family! They don’t understand. Oh well, at least I get health benefits!!!

129 JenATX November 15, 2011

oooooh i love the lattice & crumbly topping on the pumpkin pie… that is not something we do in the States, yet it feels like such a traditional pie topping. cool idea :)

130 Fatless Formula November 16, 2011

I am more fascinated by your picture taking ability rather than the recipes…

131 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner November 16, 2011

Oh wow, all of these dishes look so good.. the brownie pumpkin pie sounds heavenly!
You must have so much patience in the kitchen… good for you. I wish I could say the same for myself lol.

132 suzanne November 16, 2011

What a great menu! I really want to try your lentil loaf and the brownie (have made the cupcakes 2x already – double batches!). We are going to my sister-in-law’s for Thanksgiving so I will need to pack up some food to bring – it is hard to cook in someone else’s kitchen and they live 8 hours away so we will be staying there. My family has not given me too much of a hard time (and I do not let it bother me. – have been vegetarian for years (though in the beginning just ate salad all the time! – still do eat a lot of that!) and am raising my boyz veg too( though I have cut dairy almost completely out – I am not sure they could do that- cheese lovers that they are! Plus they have chickens so they do eat eggs). Anyway – my problem is I do not feel like others love my food like you describe. Even simple things like pizza crust – everyone will go for the part white one if it is there. It is hard for me to understand b/c I love to eat healthy (mostly!) and it is frustrating to not have others be as enthusiastic. Maybe it is my cooking?:-(
I give you lots of credit for your patience – I get so frustrated with the time, money and energy spent when something does not come out right!

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2011

hehe yup…I like to cook a lot of food on Sunday and have leftovers for lunches all week.

134 Carolyn November 16, 2011

Going to be doing my first vegan Thanksgiving this year and these recipes look awesome! The Wild Rice looks so yummy and I think I am going to try the lentil loaf too.

If you ever want to try an adaptation to your sweet potato recipe I make something very similar but I also add freshly squeezed orange juice to the sweet potatoes and a splash of bourbon. Super yummy. Its really good without the bourbon too.

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2011

mmm great idea!!

136 Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 17, 2011

Holy Mackerel, I want to eat that pie right now. Can’t wait for the recipe!

137 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries November 18, 2011

Hi Angela, I want to make this tonight. I noticed my rice package says to use 1 part rice to 3 parts broth… Not sure if I should follow that or your recipe using 1.5 cups wild rice and only 2 cups broth. Please let me know ASAP!
thanks so much! :)

138 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries November 18, 2011

Sorry! Just saw there is water as well!

139 Jessica Champion November 18, 2011

Love your blog! I have tried a few of these recipes and am hosting my first vegetarian dinner party this weekend for my birthday dinner! I am going to try out the ultimate lentil walnut loaf and hope everyone enjoys it as much as you and Eric did. My “uncle Joe” has recently been my step mom, the last time we were at dinner together I was explaining how my 2.5 year old son and I were vegetarians and she said “well you are, but he is not” I had no idea how to respond. It drives me crazy as my family would have no problem with me driving through McDonald’s to feed my child lunch but when I take an interest in feeding him a healthy diet I get attitude!!

140 bitt of raw November 19, 2011

urgent question! need to buy ingredients asap for this. you state wild rice, but in the picture it looks like wild rice blend, not just the black wild rice. is that the case? I’d so appreciate your answer! thanks.

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2011

Hey! Yup it is a wild rice blend :)

142 Gina November 19, 2011

Hi Angela, I had some bario rice so used that instead. Problem is, it was too moist, at the same time burnt! Very tricky to get the right combination. Do you have any ideas on how to make it fluffier? Thanks.

143 Chrissy in NE November 20, 2011

Oh my goodness! I just made your brownie pumpkin pie as a test before bringing one to my in-laws Thanksgiving dinner (and I will be bringing several of your other holiday dishes =) ). It is the best vegan dessert I’ve made! I am so thankful for your blog and all of your wonderful recipes.

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2011

That is so great to hear Chrissy!

145 Laura November 21, 2011

Wow! This all looks so amazing! I am new to your website but have been inspired by your story and love the green monsters! I have the same dilemma, I spend Thanksgiving with my boyfriend’s family, who live in the country and include meat in almost every meal! I’ve been questioned for a couple years now about being a vegetarian and, to make matters worse, I’m now trying to be vegan. We will see how well this goes over. I always offer to make a side but sometimes I feel like they think I’m only doing that because I don’t like what they are making. O well, hopefully they will come around. I’ve gotten better at explaining why I eat the way that I do. I am so happy to see that I’m not alone! Thanks for all the support!

146 Recipe ideas November 21, 2011

That sounds delicious and easy!! I love the idea

147 Jenny November 22, 2011

This look amazing!

148 Summer November 24, 2011

Thank you for putting so much work into taste tasting, photographing, and writing up your recipes. I cooked your lentil loaf, pilaf, and pecan pie and all were super delicious. Everything turned out perfect. Very proud to be able to make a vegan thanksgiving meal. Thanks very much!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

149 Summer November 24, 2011

oops…pumpking pie with pecan crust!

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Thank you Summer, Happy Thanksgiving!

151 Lisa C December 8, 2011

Angela, you rock! We have adopted a nutritarian lifestyle and recently found your site. Your Weekend Goddess salad and the Thanksgiving Rice Casserole were huge hits at this year’s Thanksgiving table! Thanks for all the great ideas that are expanding our repertoire of healthy recipes!

152 Crista November 20, 2012

i featured this recipe on my blog today :) thank you for the Thanksgiving Inspiration! http://peacelovequinoa.com/2012/11/20/thanksgiving-recipes-vegan-gluten-free/

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

thank you, I have my eye on those sugared cranberries!

154 Nicole November 22, 2012

Angela I made your wild rice for Thanksgiving today and everyone was amazed! Thank you so much!

155 Johanna December 31, 2012

Hi Angela,

I found your blog while searching for a recipe to bring to my family’s Christmas dinner. I made the wild rice pilaf and it was a big success! I couldn’t find fresh cranberries so I substituted pomegranate seeds which worked out well. I’m looking forward to trying more of your recipes – they all look delicious! Thanks for inspiring me to try new things!

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012

Im happy it was a hit! Thanks for trying it out :)

157 gwen September 29, 2013

Do you think if I lowered the cooking time I could sub quinoa for the rice?
I’m planning on making thanksgiving dinner for my family this year so that they can hopefully better understand that eating vegan can be yummy too!

158 Fiona November 17, 2013

I made this as part of a fall themed lunch for friends after a group hike and everyone really enjoyed it! I didn’t have fresh cranberries which I can imagine would have gone incredibly well. I used a pressure cooker to cut down on time. Great recipe, thank you!

159 Sue November 16, 2014

Angela,
Your cornbread muffins look great and you note above that you’re still working on the recipe for them….Maple Cornbread Muffins. I was hoping to find that recipe but don’t see it here on your website. Is this one you can share?
Many thanks!