5 Mile Pick-Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

20101006IMG 4396   5 Mile Pick Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

Aside from the relentless cloud cover and rain we’ve been hit with lately, the temperatures have been fairly warm for November! I’ve been getting outside for runs this week, trying to soak up every last degree of warmth.

Yesterday, I had a great run that I like to call the “5-mile pick-up run”. With each mile, I pick up the pace and haul major booty! It’s great for warming up when it’s a bit chilly outside too. I start off slower than I usually would and then gradually increase the pace.

IMG 8695   5 Mile Pick Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

5 Mile Pick-Up Run

Note: Can be done outside with a running watch or on the treadmill at any pace, distance, or incline.

Mile 1: 9:30 min/mile

Mile 2: 9:00 min/mile

Mile 3: 8:30 min/mile

Mile 4: 8:00 min/mile

Mile 5: 7:30 min/mile (sprint last 100-200 metres)

I love, love, love this run. You can use this pick-up method with any distance and pace to suit your own ability level. It’s a bit more challenging to control my pace while running outside (vs. a treadmill), but as long as I stay fairly close to my target it’s no biggie. On a treadmill, you can control your pace much more accurately and you can also change up the hills if you’re feeling…so inclined.

IMG 4340 3   5 Mile Pick Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

Here’s my current workout playlist that I’ve been rocking to lately.

Sweat It Out Playlist:

12. “Last Friday Night” Katy Perry

13. “Where Them Girls At” David Guetta

14. “Fly” Nicki Minaj feat. Rihanna

15. “Cheers (Drink to that)” Rihanna

16. “5′ O’clock” T Pain

IMG 4344   5 Mile Pick Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

I’m pretty sure I’ll be sick of this list by the end of the week, but knowing me I’ll probably listen to it until March slowly driving myself insane a bit more each day. That’s how playlists work, right?

IMG 4318   5 Mile Pick Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

ps- I hope you like delicious biscotti because biscotti season is coming soon…

Bronwyn November 10, 2011

All of those are pretty much at the top of my playlist right now! I also love biscotti, so I’ll check back for that recipe. :)

Where did you get that mug? It’s so pretty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Thanks! The mug was a gift from my friend Sarah. I think it’s from Anthro! It has an “A” on the otherside.

Magen November 10, 2011

It is from anthro! I have the same one in blue with an “m” on it :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 10, 2011

I love that playlist. Downloading a bunch of fast paced songs is actually on my to do list this week for my half next week!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 10, 2011

I love the idea of that run– mine are usually totally the opposite, starting out fast and then ending with my slowest mile, ha. Great playlist too :-)

Emily November 10, 2011

Sometimes a run is just what the doctor ordered! Love the playlist, so upbeat and fun!

Lia November 10, 2011

Seems like we have similar workout music taste. That is absolutely a playlist that would get me going. I’ve actually never made a workout playlist and my music is oh so outdated thanks to Pandora. I’m excited about the Biscotti! Love it, can never find a good vegan one, will have to make what you post :D

Coco November 10, 2011

Hahah, playlists can really haunt you for a while after you make them, indeed! Your run sounds challenging and awesome. I :just: started up a Couch-to-5k app, just got done with the first week. I’m looking forward to being able to do runs like this sometime in the not-so-near future. Your fitness is absolutely inspiring, Angela!

Jeremie Dupont November 10, 2011

Definitely got some great tunes going there. Love it!

As for the workout, I’m inclined to try it ;) (pardon the pun)

Katrina November 10, 2011

Fun playlist! Looks like you had lots of fun music wo run your butt off!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 10, 2011

Curse my full time job! I won’t run in the dark and now it’s dark when I leave the house and dark when I get home! Enjoy that weather while you can!! :)

When training for longer distances (5+ miles), I just play the whole Gaga “Fame” and “Fame Monster” albums! Alternates: Fatboy Slim’s greatest hits album, any Beastie Boys album, or any Jamiorquai album.

I have eclectic tastes! ;)

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay November 10, 2011

I always have to listen to really intense music to get myself to keep running (like Turbulence by Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke feat Lil Jon) lol. That’s so embarrassing to say.

PS: please post that biscotti recipe soon!! (tomorrow? :D hehe)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 10, 2011

My guess is Canada is really cold. Also? I like that you run to hip-hop. I have a confession, I like to run to FILTHY hip-hop. Yeah. Don’t know why.

Kate November 10, 2011

ahh thanks for sharing your playlist im so not with it when it comes to music and definitely could use a little playlist refreshing!

Kelley Forbes November 10, 2011

Hi Angela!

We have the same Garmin – wish I knew how to utilize its programs more effectively. Do you program your pace for each mile or run and glance often to make sure you’re in the right zone? BTW, great playlist!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

haha no I’m a lazy Garmin user…the most I have it do is beep at every mile marker!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 10, 2011

I love “We Found Love” by Rhianna!! That’s one currently on my list too, and like you said, I’ll probably keep listening to it until it drives me completely insane lol!! Ooh ps. we’re ipod twins! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

ps- I bought that whole foods coupon!

Natalie November 10, 2011

How can you NOT run while listening to We Found Love! So good.

Stephasaurus November 10, 2011

No “Moves Like Jagger”? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

no need for that song on my playlist…it’s ALWAYS stuck in my head…grr!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 10, 2011

Great workout! I love shaking it up with intervals.

Playlists make a run for me – I was rocking out a killer pace yesterday to “Apple Bottom Jeans.” No shame – LOL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

haha classic ;)

Leah May 7, 2012

omg apple bottom jeans.. I have memories of certain girls in a limo on a certain girls wedding day rocking to the ceremony with that song playing!! Yes? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

hahah I dont know what you are talking about Leah!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 10, 2011

that is a tough run! will have to try it out. i love the pictures in this post… i have the same pink iPod :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your run plan, I think I’ll try it tonight! :)

It’s still mild here in Ireland – feels more like early October.

Ashley November 10, 2011

All those songs are amazing! What a great workout list:) I can’t wait for the biscotti recipe.

Rebecca November 10, 2011

Beautiful mug!! It looks like Anthropologie? Can’t wait for the biscotti recipe!!!!
I don’t have a running watch or access to a treadmill, but I definitely enjoy runs when I start slow and build up speed. Nothing like expending all your steam on the first two miles…I like to pretend that the last few miles are a race to the finish line and I want to end strong and fast :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Yup it’s from Anthro :)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes November 10, 2011

What a gorgeous place to run! I second Rebecca, I am in love with that mug! Please tell where you got it! I am also in love with biscotti. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

It’s from Anthro….from the Spring season I think. Not sure if they still have it!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your playlist! I am going to have to try the pick up run!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab November 10, 2011

such a nice playlist! I especially love “the dogs days are over” which is the one song I love to listen when, my dogs days, as in the days of the week I have to take my dog out, are over because he goes to the contry side!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) November 10, 2011

Love that mug, those ones from Anthro are my favorite! But then again, anything from Anthro is my favorite.

That workout seems intense! I definitely would have to start off slower, but love the idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

Renee November 10, 2011

Ha! My playlist is pretty much identical for like the past 2 months. No, I’m not tired of it yet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Good to know :) I’m the worst for leaving playlists for like 6 months at a time. heh

Amy Still November 10, 2011

Love these songs! Pop-Hip-Hop/R&B/Top 40 is the perfect mix! Feel free to post more anytime, I am always looking for new tunes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

maybe that will motivate me to change up my songs more often!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 10, 2011

awesome playlist! i always need to change it up, but those are some good songs to get you pumped :)

Britt @ My. Daily. Randomness. November 10, 2011

I could do without the gloomy weather, but I’m not going to complain too much since it has been warm out… I was happy that I got outside twice last week when it was +12…

Great playlist! I’ve been rockin out to “5′ O’clock” by T Pain too recently… I’m also loving “Sexy and I Know it” by LMFAO and “Princess of China” by Coldplay.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 10, 2011

I’ll have to take a listen since I only recognized…nope…not gonna say how many. (I’m blissfully out of tune with today’s music)

Christina November 10, 2011

I’m the same way with playlists! I started listening to Pandora instead of making a list because I’d slowly drive myself crazy. The horrible part is in the park I love running, I no longer get cell phone service! I get random spots of service :(

Drisana (SoulShineBlog) November 10, 2011

What a beautiful place to run outside! I’ve never made biscotti, but that one sure looks good :)

Moni'sMeals November 10, 2011

Love your playlist Ang! Makes all the difference when you have good tunes.

My eyes are PEELED on this biscotti of yours…soon I hope!! :)

Have a great day.

Esen November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your playlist Angela! I get sick of mine like every other day so I always appreciate new music!
I have been listening to a lot of music from the Glee soundtrack recently, even though I don’t watch the show! Check it out! Their cover of Misery is great.

All the best,
Esen
CookbooksAndCake.blogspot.com

Cait's Plate November 10, 2011

I’m always down for some delicious biscotti! :) Love so many of the songs you listed – a lot are on my running playlist too!

Laura @Scribbles and Sass November 10, 2011

I love your Antro mug! I have the “B” one and I got the “A” one for my sister.

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 10, 2011

Hahaha, I love how 5 miles is your mid week run when that was the race I just did last week and almost died! HAHA!! Well I guess its time to ramp up my stamina ;)

Love your list!!
xxoo

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Running is running! :) Congrats on your race btw.

Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 10, 2011

I love seeing other people’s playlists! That’s some gorgeous running scenery too! My most recent favorite has been Kesha’s first cd and The Black Eyed Peas last two on repeat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

I used to have tons of Kesha’s songs on my list for about a year and then I finally changed them!

Stacey @ Here's to Life November 10, 2011

Great playlist!! I’m anxiously awaiting the biscotti recipe!

Amanda November 10, 2011

I did not realize there was a “biscotti season”, but now I’m pumped for it! :)

I pretty much listen to the same 3 songs over and over again on my iPod until I can’t stand them anymore. It’s like I love them so much I can’t get enough…until I suddenly hate them. haha

Page 1 of 3123»