5 Mile Pick-Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

20101006IMG_4396

Aside from the relentless cloud cover and rain we’ve been hit with lately, the temperatures have been fairly warm for November! I’ve been getting outside for runs this week, trying to soak up every last degree of warmth.

Yesterday, I had a great run that I like to call the “5-mile pick-up run”. With each mile, I pick up the pace and haul major booty! It’s great for warming up when it’s a bit chilly outside too. I start off slower than I usually would and then gradually increase the pace.

IMG_8695

5 Mile Pick-Up Run

Note: Can be done outside with a running watch or on the treadmill at any pace, distance, or incline.

Mile 1: 9:30 min/mile

Mile 2: 9:00 min/mile

Mile 3: 8:30 min/mile

Mile 4: 8:00 min/mile

Mile 5: 7:30 min/mile (sprint last 100-200 metres)

I love, love, love this run. You can use this pick-up method with any distance and pace to suit your own ability level. It’s a bit more challenging to control my pace while running outside (vs. a treadmill), but as long as I stay fairly close to my target it’s no biggie. On a treadmill, you can control your pace much more accurately and you can also change up the hills if you’re feeling…so inclined.

IMG_4340-3

Here’s my current workout playlist that I’ve been rocking to lately.

Sweat It Out Playlist:

12. “Last Friday Night” Katy Perry

13. “Where Them Girls At” David Guetta

14. “Fly” Nicki Minaj feat. Rihanna

15. “Cheers (Drink to that)” Rihanna

16. “5′ O’clock” T Pain

IMG_4344

I’m pretty sure I’ll be sick of this list by the end of the week, but knowing me I’ll probably listen to it until March slowly driving myself insane a bit more each day. That’s how playlists work, right?

IMG_4318

ps- I hope you like delicious biscotti because biscotti season is coming soon…

1 Bronwyn November 10, 2011

All of those are pretty much at the top of my playlist right now! I also love biscotti, so I’ll check back for that recipe. :)

Where did you get that mug? It’s so pretty!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Thanks! The mug was a gift from my friend Sarah. I think it’s from Anthro! It has an “A” on the otherside.

3 Magen November 10, 2011

It is from anthro! I have the same one in blue with an “m” on it :)

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 10, 2011

I love that playlist. Downloading a bunch of fast paced songs is actually on my to do list this week for my half next week!

5 Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 10, 2011

I love the idea of that run– mine are usually totally the opposite, starting out fast and then ending with my slowest mile, ha. Great playlist too :-)

6 Emily November 10, 2011

Sometimes a run is just what the doctor ordered! Love the playlist, so upbeat and fun!

7 Lia November 10, 2011

Seems like we have similar workout music taste. That is absolutely a playlist that would get me going. I’ve actually never made a workout playlist and my music is oh so outdated thanks to Pandora. I’m excited about the Biscotti! Love it, can never find a good vegan one, will have to make what you post :D

8 Coco November 10, 2011

Hahah, playlists can really haunt you for a while after you make them, indeed! Your run sounds challenging and awesome. I :just: started up a Couch-to-5k app, just got done with the first week. I’m looking forward to being able to do runs like this sometime in the not-so-near future. Your fitness is absolutely inspiring, Angela!

9 Jeremie Dupont November 10, 2011

Definitely got some great tunes going there. Love it!

As for the workout, I’m inclined to try it ;) (pardon the pun)

10 Katrina November 10, 2011

Fun playlist! Looks like you had lots of fun music wo run your butt off!

11 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 10, 2011

Curse my full time job! I won’t run in the dark and now it’s dark when I leave the house and dark when I get home! Enjoy that weather while you can!! :)

When training for longer distances (5+ miles), I just play the whole Gaga “Fame” and “Fame Monster” albums! Alternates: Fatboy Slim’s greatest hits album, any Beastie Boys album, or any Jamiorquai album.

I have eclectic tastes! ;)

12 Jessica @ Chockohlawtay November 10, 2011

I always have to listen to really intense music to get myself to keep running (like Turbulence by Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke feat Lil Jon) lol. That’s so embarrassing to say.

PS: please post that biscotti recipe soon!! (tomorrow? :D hehe)

13 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 10, 2011

My guess is Canada is really cold. Also? I like that you run to hip-hop. I have a confession, I like to run to FILTHY hip-hop. Yeah. Don’t know why.

14 Kate November 10, 2011

ahh thanks for sharing your playlist im so not with it when it comes to music and definitely could use a little playlist refreshing!

15 Kelley Forbes November 10, 2011

Hi Angela!

We have the same Garmin – wish I knew how to utilize its programs more effectively. Do you program your pace for each mile or run and glance often to make sure you’re in the right zone? BTW, great playlist!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

haha no I’m a lazy Garmin user…the most I have it do is beep at every mile marker!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 10, 2011

I love “We Found Love” by Rhianna!! That’s one currently on my list too, and like you said, I’ll probably keep listening to it until it drives me completely insane lol!! Ooh ps. we’re ipod twins! :)

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

ps- I bought that whole foods coupon!

19 Natalie November 10, 2011

How can you NOT run while listening to We Found Love! So good.

20 Stephasaurus November 10, 2011

No “Moves Like Jagger”? :)

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

no need for that song on my playlist…it’s ALWAYS stuck in my head…grr!

22 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 10, 2011

Great workout! I love shaking it up with intervals.

Playlists make a run for me – I was rocking out a killer pace yesterday to “Apple Bottom Jeans.” No shame – LOL!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

haha classic ;)

24 Leah May 7, 2012

omg apple bottom jeans.. I have memories of certain girls in a limo on a certain girls wedding day rocking to the ceremony with that song playing!! Yes? :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

hahah I dont know what you are talking about Leah!

26 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 10, 2011

that is a tough run! will have to try it out. i love the pictures in this post… i have the same pink iPod :)

27 Aine @ Something to Chew Over November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your run plan, I think I’ll try it tonight! :)

It’s still mild here in Ireland – feels more like early October.

28 Ashley November 10, 2011

All those songs are amazing! What a great workout list:) I can’t wait for the biscotti recipe.

29 Rebecca November 10, 2011

Beautiful mug!! It looks like Anthropologie? Can’t wait for the biscotti recipe!!!!
I don’t have a running watch or access to a treadmill, but I definitely enjoy runs when I start slow and build up speed. Nothing like expending all your steam on the first two miles…I like to pretend that the last few miles are a race to the finish line and I want to end strong and fast :)

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Yup it’s from Anthro :)

31 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes November 10, 2011

What a gorgeous place to run! I second Rebecca, I am in love with that mug! Please tell where you got it! I am also in love with biscotti. :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

It’s from Anthro….from the Spring season I think. Not sure if they still have it!

33 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your playlist! I am going to have to try the pick up run!

34 Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab November 10, 2011

such a nice playlist! I especially love “the dogs days are over” which is the one song I love to listen when, my dogs days, as in the days of the week I have to take my dog out, are over because he goes to the contry side!

35 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) November 10, 2011

Love that mug, those ones from Anthro are my favorite! But then again, anything from Anthro is my favorite.

That workout seems intense! I definitely would have to start off slower, but love the idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

36 Renee November 10, 2011

Ha! My playlist is pretty much identical for like the past 2 months. No, I’m not tired of it yet.

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Good to know :) I’m the worst for leaving playlists for like 6 months at a time. heh

38 Amy Still November 10, 2011

Love these songs! Pop-Hip-Hop/R&B/Top 40 is the perfect mix! Feel free to post more anytime, I am always looking for new tunes!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

maybe that will motivate me to change up my songs more often!

40 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 10, 2011

awesome playlist! i always need to change it up, but those are some good songs to get you pumped :)

41 Britt @ My. Daily. Randomness. November 10, 2011

I could do without the gloomy weather, but I’m not going to complain too much since it has been warm out… I was happy that I got outside twice last week when it was +12…

Great playlist! I’ve been rockin out to “5′ O’clock” by T Pain too recently… I’m also loving “Sexy and I Know it” by LMFAO and “Princess of China” by Coldplay.

42 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 10, 2011

I’ll have to take a listen since I only recognized…nope…not gonna say how many. (I’m blissfully out of tune with today’s music)

43 Christina November 10, 2011

I’m the same way with playlists! I started listening to Pandora instead of making a list because I’d slowly drive myself crazy. The horrible part is in the park I love running, I no longer get cell phone service! I get random spots of service :(

44 Drisana (SoulShineBlog) November 10, 2011

What a beautiful place to run outside! I’ve never made biscotti, but that one sure looks good :)

45 Moni'sMeals November 10, 2011

Love your playlist Ang! Makes all the difference when you have good tunes.

My eyes are PEELED on this biscotti of yours…soon I hope!! :)

Have a great day.

46 Esen November 10, 2011

Thanks for sharing your playlist Angela! I get sick of mine like every other day so I always appreciate new music!
I have been listening to a lot of music from the Glee soundtrack recently, even though I don’t watch the show! Check it out! Their cover of Misery is great.

All the best,
Esen
CookbooksAndCake.blogspot.com

47 Cait's Plate November 10, 2011

I’m always down for some delicious biscotti! :) Love so many of the songs you listed – a lot are on my running playlist too!

48 Laura @Scribbles and Sass November 10, 2011

I love your Antro mug! I have the “B” one and I got the “A” one for my sister.

49 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 10, 2011

Hahaha, I love how 5 miles is your mid week run when that was the race I just did last week and almost died! HAHA!! Well I guess its time to ramp up my stamina ;)

Love your list!!
xxoo

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Running is running! :) Congrats on your race btw.

51 Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 10, 2011

I love seeing other people’s playlists! That’s some gorgeous running scenery too! My most recent favorite has been Kesha’s first cd and The Black Eyed Peas last two on repeat!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

I used to have tons of Kesha’s songs on my list for about a year and then I finally changed them!

53 Stacey @ Here's to Life November 10, 2011

Great playlist!! I’m anxiously awaiting the biscotti recipe!

54 Amanda November 10, 2011

I did not realize there was a “biscotti season”, but now I’m pumped for it! :)

I pretty much listen to the same 3 songs over and over again on my iPod until I can’t stand them anymore. It’s like I love them so much I can’t get enough…until I suddenly hate them. haha

55 Megan (Running Foodie) November 10, 2011

I’m so happy you’re incorporating posts about running and fitness again!!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

I’m happy you are excited about them! I forgot how much I enjoyed writing about it.

57 Abby R November 10, 2011

DITTO!

58 Emmy (Wine and Butter) November 11, 2011

Definitely ditto!! and Im so happy you do that with Playlists too!! I literally make it so I feel ill when I m hearing Rhianna for the 5 millionth time – and then as soon as I step off that treadmill – FORGOTTEN. Until I step back on and start to go insane again….! xox

59 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 10, 2011

Playlist of the yearuhhhhhh. Girl you need to get spotify!

60 Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 10, 2011

That sounds like an awesome running plan. If my knee pain lets up I will give it a try!

I love that playlist – Mr. Saxobeat is a definite regular on my playlist for running right now! If you like that and you haven’t heard it yet, check out Robert Rudolph and the Family Band – Ain’t Nothing Wrong With That. It will get you running as well!

I always get super excited for a new playlist and super bored of them really fast! But it takes so much time to put a new one together I usually suffer through it as well. lol!

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Thanks I will check it out!

62 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather November 10, 2011

Awesome songs!!! I love increasing my speed during runs. Makes me feel like I’m working harder… Because I am!

63 Cortnie November 10, 2011

Sounds like a great run but I’m a little scared of running 5 miles! I’m in boot camp right now so I’m working up to it.

xo
cortnie

64 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 10, 2011

I have such a hard time keeping my pace when I run outside. I’ll be doing an 8 min mile, and half will be at 8:30 and half at 7:30. I just can’t hit the right pace!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

Yea I struggle with that too…esp when my mind wanders! I don’t worry too much about it being exact, but think of it as a gradual increase in pace over time I guess. :)

66 Liz November 10, 2011

I love puns. Running’s pretty cool too, but I really just can’t get enough puns.

67 Izzy November 10, 2011

Yeah. I had a good lol at that one.

68 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 10, 2011

Great playlist! Can’t wait for the recipe :)

69 gia November 10, 2011

I have no clue how to pace my miles, can you give a simple synapsis of that?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

I use my Garmin running watch to pace me.

71 Kcirrehs November 10, 2011

Angela, that is the prettiest cup! I love the dainty color palette and design. Like many of us I have a serious tea/coffee mug obsession. What line is it from?

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

thanks! Its from Anthropologie

73 hannah alehandra November 10, 2011

Biscotti?! YESSSSS Angela!! xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

74 Danielle November 10, 2011

#1 song to pick up the running pace: list of demands by saul williams! no chance of slowing down with that one playing :)

75 kaila @ healthyhelper November 10, 2011

I LOVE YOUR PLAYLIST! Such great upbeat songs! And your run sounds great! I really need to get outside for a run! The weather has been pretty great lately but I just have been short on time with it getting dark so early now :(

76 Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY November 10, 2011

Good playlist…I have most of those songs but am going to check out the remaining ones at home tonight.

77 Carissa November 10, 2011

I love love love biscotti! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

78 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 10, 2011

The biscotti looks lovely.

79 Beth November 10, 2011

I look forward to your biscotti recipes because I made some vegan ones last year for the first time, and without the egg to hold them together, they were a crumbly (though delicious) mess.

80 Julie November 10, 2011

I do this same kind of run every week! Love it. Actually, I try to do this during most of my runs, but really focus on it at least one run a week. We run at just about the same pace as well, we’d make great running buddies :) But it’s still hot hot hot down here in Texas. We’ve been getting a few cool mornings finally. Can’t wait to see the biscotti recipe! Yum!

81 Angela November 11, 2011

I would def. fly to Texas this winter to run in the warmth ;)

82 Robyn November 10, 2011

I’m excited for a biscotti recipe too… whenever I make biscotti, it’s too soft, it doesnt have that good hard quality that’s good for dipping! Cant wait to try yours!

83 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 10, 2011

I like biscotti season AND I like that white/pink floral mug in the last shot. So pretty!

Fun playlist and anything to keep things fresh and interesting and motivation levels high…I am all about it :) Sometimes the right song just…does it!

84 Liz J November 10, 2011

Love your play list! That would get me going too for my runs! :) I am making biscotti tomorrow in my culinary class! :)

85 Sara Grambusch November 10, 2011

Oooh thanks for these songs! I’m currently making some new workout playlists. I could never work out in silence. It’s just creepy.

86 Melissa November 10, 2011

Awesome playlist and 5 miler, thanks for sharing! I swear, half of those songs are on my running playlist now LOL :)

I also really like Robyn (check out Dancing on my Own) and mixes from Lindsay Luv. They’re great for longer runs and free! http://djlluv.com/music/

87 Alexa @ Simple Eats November 10, 2011

Yay a fitness post…I missed these around here! Sounds like a great run!

88 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 10, 2011

Thank you for this! My workout have been so haphazard lately so some structure is welcome. Love your song choices! ;)

89 Joann@womaninreallife November 10, 2011

Good for you. Five miles is too much for me. I know what you mean about the playlist. It can take some time to put it together, and then you get tired of it fairly soon. I have to think about starting to put together a new one. I like rock/alternative songs, so it can be challenging. I put a couple of playlists of this kind on my blog, if anyone likes to rock out like me :)

90 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 10, 2011

Great playlist! I’ve got some of those songs on mine too. I’m obsessed with “On the Floor” lately!

I’m loving that it’s still warm enough to run outside here in Southern Ontario. Fingers crossed that it lasts for a little while longer!

91 Kait November 10, 2011

I love this playlist and definitely have some new tunes to check out! Ditto on other people’s happiness over posting about fitness again. I love it. :)

92 Angela @ MyPinkyToes November 10, 2011

I so want to try this workout! It sounds just perfect!
I like so many of your playlist songs. I haven’t ran to music in quite some time now, but it makes for a great change. When I would listen to music I would always over play all my songs until I was sick of them!

93 Alexis @ hummusapien November 10, 2011

Bahaha the six year old I babysit is OBSESSED with that Selena Gomez song! Can’t wait for the biscotti recipe…my mom’s favorite cookie is a fresh chocolate almond biscotti so she would die if I made her a batch! P.S. just made your 5 minute cheese sauce and poured it all over sauteed kale…it was heaven.

94 Angela November 11, 2011

LOL…now I feel even more cool!

95 Jamie @ Don't Forget The Cinnamon November 10, 2011

Oh my gosh that biscotti looks AMAZING. I tried to get in the spirit yesterday and make some biscotti but I was quite disappointed with the outcome :(

96 Angela November 11, 2011

I feel your pain…I had about 6 pumpkin biscotti flops before giving up on it (the pumpkin made it get soft with time!)

97 Koko @ Koko Likes November 11, 2011

LOVE new workout music, amazing playlist!!

98 Jonathan November 11, 2011

This actually makes running sound like fun! I’ve been a dancer all my life, and my teachers have always told me to avoid running because of the impact. But over the last two years, most everyone I know has become run-crazy, participating in half or whole marathons and organizing running groups, etc. I held out for a good while, but I think I’m finally started to catch the bug. And if running gives me an excuse to listen to an awesome playlist like yours, why not give in?

Thanks for sharing, Angela!

99 Apron Appeal November 11, 2011

you pick up the speed when you run? How do you do that….i just get slower.

100 Angela November 11, 2011

I can only do it if I’m focusing on it, otherwise I tend to fizzle out with time :)

101 Natalie November 11, 2011

Just wanted to say i lovelovelove your blog! Greetings from Norway :-)<3

102 Angela November 11, 2011

Hello Natalie! Thanks for your kind words….so cool you live in Norway. I want to visit someday!

103 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 11, 2011

You go girl! I really want to start jogging, but then I look outside and it’s cold or I’m lazy! I wish I had the umph to do it! I’ll get there! Proud of you!!

104 Heather November 11, 2011

Great post! I love doing pick-up runs too. They are so motivating and really inspire you to keep moving. Just for fun, here’s the playlist I’ve been loving lately! I love getting new music from other people – hope you enjoy, Angela! :-)

David Guetta feat. Usher – “Without You”
Adele – “Rumor Has It”
New Boyz – Back Seat
Fleetwood Mac – “You Make Loving Fun”
Lissie – “Longest Road”
Rihanna – “We Found Love”
The Cataracs feat. DEV – “Bass Down Low”
Michael Jackson – “PYT”
Head Automatica – “Lying Through Your Teeth”
Ke$ha – “Blow”
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals – “Medicine”
Del Amitri – “Roll to Me”

Stretch Cooldown
Gotye feat. Kimbra – Somebody That I Used to Know
The Civil Wars – Poison & Wine

105 Angela November 11, 2011

Oh you reminded me of a couple songs that I like…looks good!

106 Laura @mypurposefullife November 11, 2011

This is a great post Angela! You always have such great ideas for workouts and, like a few others have mentioned, I’m glad to see one of your exercise posts! Plus, your “sweat it out” playlist is AWESOME. I will definitely be copying it for some new motivation:) thanks for sharing!

107 Jenny | Floppycats.com November 11, 2011

I love the playlist! I am always looking for new ideas in that regard!

108 With Style and Grace November 11, 2011

we practically have the same workout playlist! okay, a new addition you might want to add is Kascade – Lessons in Love – makes me want to sprint :)

109 FASHION TALES November 11, 2011

Excellent! Love the playlist, perfect for a run! ;-)

110 Laura @ http://sheeatswell.blogspot.com/ November 11, 2011

Your playlist is very similar to mine! If you enjoy Florence and the Machine, I highly encourage you to download “Never Let Me Go,” off her new album. It is SO good. And a perfectly paced, intense cardio song!

111 Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) November 11, 2011

love biscotti! i’m sure you’ll have some great recipes for us :) thinking i might go for a run later myself — thanks for the playlist ideas!

112 richelle November 11, 2011

what a great playlist! I might have to steal some for when i go running!

xo

113 Ellie@fitforthesoul November 11, 2011

ohmuuuuhhhhnaaa (as the Koreans say omagoodness) I love biscottti!!!!!! <3

And your run sounds awesome! Quite challenging, and invigorating. And I love your pun of "so inclined"~ :P

114 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 11, 2011

Cheers to your playlist. I’ll drink to that. yeah yeah ;)

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2011

cheers to the freakin weekend ;)

116 Alexander November 11, 2011

I find it funny that you said it’s still pretty warm for November there. Just yesterday I looked out the window during my anthropology class to find it snowing already! Didn’t stick but it did snow off and on about three times yesterday.

117 Sarah S. November 11, 2011

my brain is kinda fried today so thank you for the “so inclined” pun lol!

118 Sarah November 11, 2011

Thank you for this post, Angela! Though I always enjoy your recipes, your workout posts are definitely a motivator! Love the playlist, too. I like to reward myself at the end of each good workout week with a new song for the playlist (added bonus: a new song to look forward to in the rotation for next week!)… so I’ll have to add one of these!

119 Natasha November 11, 2011

Angela,

Will you forgive me?…I had a very loooooong week – will send recipe before end of weekend…promise!
Love this post FYI.
Natasha

120 Crista November 12, 2011

Nice! I want to try your pick me up run, though your speed is waaaay faster than mine just yet! You’re speedy!! I love biscotti, it’s perfect for the fall/winter crossover :)

121 Lara November 13, 2011

I’m also loving track 6 (“On The Floor” JLo feat Pitbull) as well :-)

122 Kim November 14, 2011

I’m going to be stealing some ideas from your playlist! I rarely change up my iPod contents and I’m SO tired of most of the songs on it.

123 Adriana White November 17, 2011

Wow, we have very similar stories + the same mug down to the personalized A :) I also struggled with EDs, recovered + developed a healthy relationship with food + a positive running habit :) Cheers, lady! – Adriana

124 Bailey November 26, 2011

The other day I put on both Justin Timberlake albums and got so into it I made a new personal record. Another oldie but goodie for running is Britney Spears’ Blackout album, especially “Freakshow”. Also a fan of Missy Elliott and old school Nelly Furtado (think Maneater and Promiscuous Girl). Pop music while running is truly the best.

125 Terri Thompson April 7, 2015

I just came across your blog, and I absolutely love it. I will also be marketing it to my vegan friends. I wonder, do you have a favorite analytics watch like fitbit or garmin that you love more than others? I realize you are not marketing or an agent for them, but your idea on mapping out a set schedule for the next morning is best for me. Also, have a watch for analytics/big data will help boost my daily steps/run. I hope to get your response.