5 Mile Pick-Up Run & My Fav Workout Playlist

20101006IMG_4396

Aside from the relentless cloud cover and rain we’ve been hit with lately, the temperatures have been fairly warm for November! I’ve been getting outside for runs this week, trying to soak up every last degree of warmth.

Yesterday, I had a great run that I like to call the “5-mile pick-up run”. With each mile, I pick up the pace and haul major booty! It’s great for warming up when it’s a bit chilly outside too. I start off slower than I usually would and then gradually increase the pace.

IMG_8695

5 Mile Pick-Up Run

Note: Can be done outside with a running watch or on the treadmill at any pace, distance, or incline.

Mile 1: 9:30 min/mile

Mile 2: 9:00 min/mile

Mile 3: 8:30 min/mile

Mile 4: 8:00 min/mile

Mile 5: 7:30 min/mile (sprint last 100-200 metres)

I love, love, love this run. You can use this pick-up method with any distance and pace to suit your own ability level. It’s a bit more challenging to control my pace while running outside (vs. a treadmill), but as long as I stay fairly close to my target it’s no biggie. On a treadmill, you can control your pace much more accurately and you can also change up the hills if you’re feeling…so inclined.

IMG_4340-3

Here’s my current workout playlist that I’ve been rocking to lately.

Sweat It Out Playlist:

12. “Last Friday Night” Katy Perry

13. “Where Them Girls At” David Guetta

14. “Fly” Nicki Minaj feat. Rihanna

15. “Cheers (Drink to that)” Rihanna

16. “5′ O’clock” T Pain

IMG_4344

I’m pretty sure I’ll be sick of this list by the end of the week, but knowing me I’ll probably listen to it until March slowly driving myself insane a bit more each day. That’s how playlists work, right?

IMG_4318

ps- I hope you like delicious biscotti because biscotti season is coming soon…

Page 3 of 3«123
Terri Thompson April 7, 2015

I just came across your blog, and I absolutely love it. I will also be marketing it to my vegan friends. I wonder, do you have a favorite analytics watch like fitbit or garmin that you love more than others? I realize you are not marketing or an agent for them, but your idea on mapping out a set schedule for the next morning is best for me. Also, have a watch for analytics/big data will help boost my daily steps/run. I hope to get your response.

Bailey November 26, 2011

The other day I put on both Justin Timberlake albums and got so into it I made a new personal record. Another oldie but goodie for running is Britney Spears’ Blackout album, especially “Freakshow”. Also a fan of Missy Elliott and old school Nelly Furtado (think Maneater and Promiscuous Girl). Pop music while running is truly the best.

Adriana White November 17, 2011

Wow, we have very similar stories + the same mug down to the personalized A :) I also struggled with EDs, recovered + developed a healthy relationship with food + a positive running habit :) Cheers, lady! – Adriana

Kim November 14, 2011

I’m going to be stealing some ideas from your playlist! I rarely change up my iPod contents and I’m SO tired of most of the songs on it.

Lara November 13, 2011

I’m also loving track 6 (“On The Floor” JLo feat Pitbull) as well :-)

Crista November 12, 2011

Nice! I want to try your pick me up run, though your speed is waaaay faster than mine just yet! You’re speedy!! I love biscotti, it’s perfect for the fall/winter crossover :)

Natasha November 11, 2011

Angela,

Will you forgive me?…I had a very loooooong week – will send recipe before end of weekend…promise!
Love this post FYI.
Natasha

Sarah November 11, 2011

Thank you for this post, Angela! Though I always enjoy your recipes, your workout posts are definitely a motivator! Love the playlist, too. I like to reward myself at the end of each good workout week with a new song for the playlist (added bonus: a new song to look forward to in the rotation for next week!)… so I’ll have to add one of these!

Sarah S. November 11, 2011

my brain is kinda fried today so thank you for the “so inclined” pun lol!

Alexander November 11, 2011

I find it funny that you said it’s still pretty warm for November there. Just yesterday I looked out the window during my anthropology class to find it snowing already! Didn’t stick but it did snow off and on about three times yesterday.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 11, 2011

Cheers to your playlist. I’ll drink to that. yeah yeah ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2011

cheers to the freakin weekend ;)

Ellie@fitforthesoul November 11, 2011

ohmuuuuhhhhnaaa (as the Koreans say omagoodness) I love biscottti!!!!!! <3

And your run sounds awesome! Quite challenging, and invigorating. And I love your pun of "so inclined"~ :P

richelle November 11, 2011

what a great playlist! I might have to steal some for when i go running!

xo

Meredith (Pursuing Balance: Diary of a Dietetic Intern) November 11, 2011

love biscotti! i’m sure you’ll have some great recipes for us :) thinking i might go for a run later myself — thanks for the playlist ideas!

Laura @ http://sheeatswell.blogspot.com/ November 11, 2011

Your playlist is very similar to mine! If you enjoy Florence and the Machine, I highly encourage you to download “Never Let Me Go,” off her new album. It is SO good. And a perfectly paced, intense cardio song!

FASHION TALES November 11, 2011

Excellent! Love the playlist, perfect for a run! ;-)