Eggplant Parmesan

IMG_4243

Before you tell me you hate eggplant and cast off this recipe, hear me out:

I’m not a big eggplant fan either.

I think Eggplant is pretty spongy and bland. In fact, it’s probably one of my least favourite vegetables!

IMG_4210-2

Poor ‘lil Eggplant, right? :\

I decided to give Eggplant another shot when I came across this stunning Eggplant Parmesan recipe from Jessica. I knew immediately that I had to try it for myself.

It just looked so darn good…

IMG_4267

This recipe involves breading and baking eggplant slices until crispy. Think of a breaded chicken burger and that’s what the breaded crust reminds me of. It’s perfection.

Mind you, the eggplant itself tastes nothing like chicken and still has a bit of that strange eggplant texture, but I found myself enjoying it none the less!

IMG_4241

The first thing you do is peel the eggplant and slice it into 8-10 pieces about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle each slice liberally with salt and let it stand for 30 minutes or so. The salt draws out the water and the slices will begin to “sweat”- it’s pretty cool! A fun science experiment in the kitchen.

IMG_4213

While the eggplant is working up a sweat, you can also get busy making your batter. I followed Jessica’s batter recipe fairly closely, only I used Whole Wheat Pastry Flour instead of Brown rice flour. If you want it gluten-free use a gluten-free flour and GF breadcrumbs. It takes just a couple minutes to mix together. I’ll also tell you what I would change below.

After 30 minutes, run cold water over the slices to wash off the water and salt and then pat dry with a towel.

IMG_4227

Dip each slice into the batter and then dip it into your breadcrumbs on both sides. The more breadcrumbs the better.

Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8-9 mins at 450F on each side until very golden and crispy. The crispier you make them, the better they taste! I used Panko breadcrumbs and they worked great.

IMG_4241

Jessica served her eggplant cutlets over pasta, but I decided to serve it over spinach greens for a lighter option as I wasn’t feeling pasta after all the lasagna we’ve been eating. I topped it with heated pasta sauce and my homemade 5-minute low-fat cheeze sauce!

IMG_4244-3

It really is a stunning dish. :)

My tips:

• I really, really love the breaded crust. A++. I am already thinking about what else I could use this crispy batter on! Crispy veggie burgers? Sweet potato chips? Zucchini fries? Tofu?
  • The eggplant itself still has a bit of a spongy texture, but it wasn’t that bad. The awesome texture of the crust really made the eggplant texture less noticeable. If you slice the eggplant thin it’s even less noticeable. It reminded me of a breaded chicken burger, although didn’t taste like one of course.
  • Next time I would definitely add more seasonings as the patties could use a bit more flavour, but with the pasta sauce and cheeze sauce it wasn’t a big issue at all. Next time I would just amp up the seasonings a bit more.
  • I haven’t tested this on Eric yet, but I will update this post when he tries it. He absolutely hates eggplant’s texture, so that will be interesting!
  • I cut the eggplant into rounds, but realized Jessica sliced hers vertically. Vertically probably makes mere sense because you don’t end up with tiny rounds when you get to the end. It’s totally up to you though.
  • The cutlets get soft in the fridge so they must be reheated in the oven. The cutlets do not reheat well in the microwave, trust me I tried!  To reheat: I baked them at 450F for 5 minutes on each side and they re-heated wonderfully and got really crisp.
  • I haven’t tried it yet, but I suspect these cutlets would be awesome in a sandwich or wrap! I’m definitely trying that this week.

IMG_4245-3

IMG_4262

Take home message:

If you are an eggplant fan I would guess you will LOVE this recipe.

If you aren’t an eggplant fan, I’d say there’s a chance you could really enjoy it or really hate it. Make at your own risk!

As for me, I will probably make this again and experiment more with the flavours and seasonings. I can already see myself making a curry flavour cutlet with a delicious Indian dish! I’m going to try this in a sandwich for lunch with some pasta sauce and cheeze. It should be good.

IMG_4268

It’s update time!

The winner of my 3-year blogiversary giveaway is #724- Megan… Congrats Megan! I have emailed you to collect your apron wishes and addy. Thanks to everyone for all your kind words on my 3 year blogiversary.

I found out on the weekend that I won “Best Overall Blog” and “Best Veg Blog” in the Foodbuzz Blog Awards! Thank you so much for your votes. It’s thrilling to me that a vegan blog could receive such praise within the food community which is usually dominated by so many animal-based foods. Your support means more to me than you know!!

1 Becca November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your awards! How exciting for OSG :)

2 Alex @ Raw Recovery November 8, 2011

This recipe looks awesome! I only found out that I actually love eggplant after living in Greece and eating at different tavernas. They all serve fried zuchinni and eggplant with tzatziki and it blew my mind. Congratulations on your awards!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 8, 2011

Love the healthy breading option! Ever since I got back from Italy, I’ve been eggplant-obsessed. I did a non-breaded vegan Eggplant Rollatini a couple of weeks ago that I fell in love with. Eggplant Parm next, for sure! :)

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2011

Congrats on the Foodbuzz awards Ange – that’s fantastic! And this recipe sounds great. I too, think that eggplant is pretty bland on its own, but I love how it absorbs flavour of other ingredients. The crispy crust sounds delicious!

5 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine November 8, 2011

Your photos are just gorgeous!

6 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 8, 2011

Oh YES do it on tofu … I’m getting bored of tofu these days :P

7 Sweet and Savvy November 8, 2011

So, Maybe I have been living under a rock, but I’ve never tried eggplant. This recipe definitely makes me wanna pick one up:)

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 8, 2011

I’m a big fan of eggplant, and love to oven “fry” things to get that crispy texture. Beautiful photos!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Your comment just made me realize that these might be amazing fried too! ;)

10 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 8, 2011

Do it up brooklyn style! Saute some broccoli rabe, stuff it in a hero roll with evoo and roasted garlic, smear with some sundried tomato pesto and add the eggplant! You WON’T regret it.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Wow that sounds amazing. How is the eggplant prepared?

12 Natasha November 8, 2011

Hi Angela – CONGRATS!!!!! You so deserve it!!!!
I am a “Melanzane” – FREAK! Also known as Eggplant Parmesan…I would love to share my spin on it with you if you’d like….hate to brag but my friends cannot believe that it is healthy for you! Your version not only looks delish – but so pretty!

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Please do share!

14 Natasha November 9, 2011

I will send it to you via email – is there one for you on the site? I looked but I have Menstral Mind :O

15 Natasha November 9, 2011

Ugh…! Sorry Angela – just found your email – I will send you the recipe tomorrow – I have my “85 year old – fulla spit and vinegar Monster-in-law” coming over for dinner – so things are a bit hectic here. Sounds wonderful eh?

16 Erin November 8, 2011

I love eggplant and I can’t wait to make this!!!

17 Melissa @ My Mango Has Roots November 8, 2011

Ah! I’ve been meaning to post my own similar recipe for ages but it’s sat on the backburner. It’s one of my FAVORITE go-tos. I use a few less ingredients, cut them a little thinner than that, cook the rounds maybe 7 minutes on each side, and then stack the eggplant rounds in a tier of 3 with a little sauce in between, and a little more sauce with sprinkling cheese (for those who eat it) on top. Getting four servings out of one large eggplant, each tier of 3 rounds is only 113 calories! I agree, there is still a bit of sponginess, but I love ’em.

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Oh I just love your idea of stacking them!

19 Melissa @ My Mango Has Roots November 8, 2011

Thanks! And CONGRATS on your wins – I threw a few votes your way :)

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks :)

21 hannah alehandra November 8, 2011

Looks stunningly delicious! Kiss from England.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

22 Jen at luck & funny November 8, 2011

Mmmmmmm . . . eggplant. Yes, please!

23 Ashley November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your awards- I love this blog! The recipe looks delish, though I admit I’m not much of an eggplant fan either! But I still will try it because my boyfriend is always asking me to cook something with eggplant in it. :)

24 Lindsay November 8, 2011

Good idea to remove the skin! I always make it with skin on and sometimes it’s difficult to cut through.

25 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 8, 2011

I *love* eggplant! My favorite way to cook them is to slice then and grill them until they’re cooked (grilling them allows the moisture to cook away without salting), and make sandwiches out of them: toasted bread spread with hummus and topped with eggplant, spinach and tomato.

Will definitely be trying this as soon as I get my hands on some eggplant! :)

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

mmm I love those grilled sandwiches too!

27 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 8, 2011

It works great with zucchini too! (or both!) ;)

28 Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 8, 2011

Okay, you saved me from clicking away because I TOO hate eggplant, but if you say it really tastes good then I’m all for trying this out!

29 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 8, 2011

I’m not a big fan of eggplant either, but eggplant parm I can stomach. It’s definitely a weird taste/texture thing.

30 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 8, 2011

I feel the same way about eggplant. Don’t hate it but there are just so many other veggies I’d rather have. I’ll have to give this a try.
Congrats on the award!

31 tweal November 8, 2011

That’s crazy you dislike eggplant – I absolutely love it! I have actually never tried making eggplant parmesan, but this recipe sounds nice and not greasy. I may try it with my next eggplant purchase.

Also, the eggplant peanut soup from Veganomicon is ahhhmazing. I have a feeling it will convince even the most stalwart eggplant hater.

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Oh man I need to get that cookbook!

33 Melissa November 8, 2011

The only way to get rid of the spongy texture of eggplant for baking is to remove the air from inside…. it’s best done by sweating the veggie in the microwave. You slice the eggplant, salt and lay the slices on plate covered in a paper towel, then cover the tops of the eggplant slices with another paper towel. Find something heavy, I use four additional plates and stack them on top to weigh the eggplant down, and push the air out as they “cook” in the microwave. Typically you run on high power for 5-10min, they are done when they’ve become more flexible and reduced in depth. Then you can cook them like you would in any recipe and they will take on a very different overall texture, soft, dense, and flavorful…. not at all spongy. :)

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Oh wow that’s such a cool tip! Thanks :)

35 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner November 8, 2011

That sounds INCREDIBLE!!!!!!! Me need to get me an eggplant!

36 amy November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your awards! You truly deserve them :)

37 Tonya November 8, 2011

Ok, I log onto your blog and see EGGPLANT PARMESEAN and my mouth hits the floor! I was like am I on the right blog?? yummm LOVE IT! have not HAD it since I went veg. Italian food is so awesome but we vegs miss out because of all the ooey gooey cheese. There is this one Italian place near my school that has an awesome vegan menu that’s just as big as their regular menu, tho. Thanks for putting eggplant back on my shopping list. Congratz on the best overall blog and best veg blog award! Many of your recipes make regular appearances in my kitchen. Thank you for contributing to my health.

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thank you Tonya! I hope it lives up to your expectations :)

39 Ashley November 8, 2011

Congratulations on the awards!! You definitely deserve them. :)

40 Andrea @ Vegvacious November 8, 2011

Mmmmm….I’ve made this recipe before and I LOVE it! I’m not usually a huge eggplant fan either but everything is better with a little sauce and cheese!!!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

yes i totally agree :)

42 Mary November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your awards! They are well deserved. I love your blog and your recipes are always top-notch. Keep up the good work!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks Mary!

44 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy November 8, 2011

I love eggplant parmesan, and have been looking for a healthy recipe! Thanks for sharing! I hope your week is off to a great start!

45 Faith @ For the Health of It November 8, 2011

I actually love eggplant, but I hate making it myself because it never comes out as crispy and delicious as it does in restaurants. Of course, when you order out though, they’re undoubtedly coated in eggy dips or smothered in cheese…major bummer :( I’ll give this one a whirl – you said crunchy coating, im so in!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

That’s what I loved about this recipe…it was CRISPY. The key is baking it at a high temp (450F) and about 9 mins per side. I’ve never had “real” eggplant parmesan before but I thought this version was great.

47 Moni'sMeals November 8, 2011

This has got to be the BEST Eggplant Dish I have ever seen. It looks heavy but light at the same time, do you know what I mean? I will for sure be trying this out.

CONGRATS again!!~ but honestly…(duh!) you and your blog are amazing!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Yes I know what you mean…I would agree! It’s “fancy” feeling without the heaviness to it.

49 hannah alehandra November 8, 2011

Thank you for the comment on my blog Angela! I have been following yours for a long time now, big fan of yours over here in England so I’m very flattered to read what you wrote on my blog :) Look forward to hearing what Eric thinks of this recipe! I love Eggplant- call it Aubergeine over here though :P ps, you’re gorgeous yourself…xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

50 Cathy @What Would Cathy Eat? November 8, 2011

This is not a dish I generally crave, but after seeing this version I can hardly stop thinking about it!

51 Audrey November 8, 2011

I was very excited to see that you won these awards! I voted for you! You definitely deserve them (though I also would’ve given you best photography blog).

This is a gorgeous and impressive looking dish. Just beautiful! I can’t wait to see what Eric thinks of them.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks Audrey!

I can’t wait to see what Eric thinks either…I’m thinking he’s not going to like the texture, but we’ll see!

53 Andie November 8, 2011

This looks great! A local burger joint does a breaded portabello mushroom burger that I’d love to replicate. I’m inspired to try this method to see if I can make it work at home.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Oh that’s such a good idea for a Portabello burger! Let me know how it turns out :)

55 K November 8, 2011

Congrats!

56 Amanda November 8, 2011

I really like eggplant (the texture doesn’t bother me), but my husband isn’t a big fan. I think the panko bread crumbs might be enough to disguise the texture though. I also appreciate the re-heating instructions. Probably wouldn’t make this for my husband’s lunches during the week since he’s reliant on a microwave (and soggy eggplant would not go over well), but I think this could be great for my lunches. More for me! :)

Congrats on your awards! It’s so, so nice to see a vegan blog win “best overall”. You rock!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thank you!
Yea I wouldn’t say it’s a great “bring to lunch” meal unfortunately unless there is a toaster oven around :)

58 Bobbi McCormick November 8, 2011

I have a million Eggplants in my garden time to get to work!!! Congrats on your win girl!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks Bobbi!

60 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 8, 2011

I ALWAYS bake my eggplant! Its the only way it tastes good to me and when I do make it like that…I LOVE IT! I actually just made some today! SO GOOD!

61 Sonia (the Mexigarian) November 8, 2011

Congrats on your awards !! :D

I do like eggplant, but my own Eric HATES eggplant. He literally takes it out of anything I make, including stews. These do look yummy though. I have to give it a try.

62 Sarah with Veggie Kids November 8, 2011

Now I know what I’m making for my hubby this weekend! He’s not quite a vegetarian but I think the eggplant is a meat replacer for sure and he won’t even miss it! Looks delicious. I should try it on my dad too-he claims to hate eggplant…bet he’d like this one though!!

63 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 8, 2011

Congrats on your awards- how awesome!!
And I had to gasp at your post- I LOVE EGGPLANT! My husband used to always say he didn’t like it, but then I grilled it for him and he changed his tune.

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

I really do love it grilled…I don’t make it often though. I wonder if I could grill it on my waffle iron??? lol

65 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) November 8, 2011

Can you make a gluten-free version please???!!!??? All my attempts at making eggplant parm gf style have failed miserably …. Angela to the rescue?? (hint hint ;) )

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Jessica said in her recipe that you can use brown rice flour and GF breadcrumbs to make it gluten free.

67 Brandina November 8, 2011

I simply can not wait to try this dish out and I’m even more excited about giving it to my boyfriend and kiddo and seeing how they like it. Last night, we watched the new Forks Over Knives movie and it had all three of us saying it’s worth trying. Your recipes will be a main part of the changes we will be making because every single one I’ve tried has been a hit so far. They especially loved the Pumpkin Cheese Sauce!

68 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 8, 2011

Thanks for sharing! I hope to try this on Saturday night.

69 Jill in Chicago November 8, 2011

This is PERFECT timing — just bought an eggplant and was thinking of making E. Parmesan! Thanks to you AND to Jessica!

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

:D

71 Bees November 8, 2011

Love your blog.. you write so sincerely and openly!

I love eggplant and make something similar.. just as a suggestion for the coating which I’ve found to work well.. you could use a dry mixture of crushed croutons/flour/crushed pretzels (or a combination thereof) + spices (garlic powder, basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, onion flakes) and it comes out really well-seasoned!

:-)

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thank you :) That mixture sounds awesome!

73 kathleen @ the daily crumb November 8, 2011

i just rekindled my relationship with eggplant in a roasted eggplant and chickpea salad. i think the problem is that poorly prepared eggplant is pretty much inedible, but properly roasted with olive oil + salt (or baked into this eggplant parmesan)… i think it’s delicious!

74 LizAshlee November 8, 2011

Amazing photos…I love the recipe too!

75 Amber K November 8, 2011

I was so excited to see your blog win. Congratulations!

I have tried eggplant once before and the texture was super weird, but this looks delicious! I’ll have to try it.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks!

77 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 8, 2011

How cool! I am not the biggest fan of eggplant…but I am soo willing to try this :)

78 katie@ KatieDid November 8, 2011

And that’s what I love about eggplant- that spongey weird texture! I usually just cube it up and throw it in a stir fry towards them end so it doesnt get toooo soggy. But I find it picks up and holds flavors so well.

79 Jessica November 8, 2011

Angela this recipe looks awesome. I can’t imagine a world without eggplant! I love it. It was always a staple veg in my family. I use it in Indian, Middle
Eastern, Italian and even Japanese! My husband who normally turns his nose up will now eat it happily! Cant wait to try this version.

80 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 8, 2011

Yummy!! I lovelovelove Eggplant Parmesan but it’s been a few years since I’ve made it. Thanks for the reminder :D

81 Mama Pea November 8, 2011

I love eggplant parm but never make it. I have no excuse now.

I was so very proud and happy for you on Friday when you won. You deserve EVERY accolade you get! Congratulations.

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thanks Sarah! Congrats to you as well. You are always an inspiration to me! Go, vegan food. :)

83 Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes November 8, 2011

Wow this looks super! I can’t wait to try it!

84 RachelSD November 8, 2011

Thank you, thank you for this recipe! I keep getting eggplants from my CSA and I don’t know what to do with them! My mother-in-law practically soaks the things in oil and fries them and they are gross that way. This looks great!

85 TeenyLittleSuperChef November 8, 2011

Dude, congratulations on the Foodbuzz awards! As if they could have awarded to anyone else :) Your blog rocks and I enjoy reading it each and every day. I’m so excited about this Eggplant Parm recipe. I really abhor the traditional way of making it because it’s always so greasy and gross. I have a feeling your’s will be exactly the way I’ve always hoped it would taste. I can’t wait to try it out, especially with your cheeze sauce. Yum yum!
Have a great Tuesday!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thank you that means a lot to me. I hope this lives up to the dream! ;)

87 Heidi November 8, 2011

I love eggplant so I’m excited to try your recipe. But I also have to give you props for not only eating a food you don’t love, but for working on a recipe and posting about a food you don’t love. Now that is open-mindedness!

I used to think that eggplant was mostly just beneficial for its bulk, but here’s more on the nutrients:

88 Lara November 8, 2011

Fantastic idea for using eggplant or “aubergine” as I call it. Your photography is inspiring by the way, keep forgetting to mention that ;-)

89 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 8, 2011

I always fail miserably at eggplant! One of those foods that I either over/under cook…or turn into mush or total rubber. Can’t seem to get it quite right. This recipe inspires me.

And what beautiful pics, Angela! So vibrant…they make me want to dive in and somehow manage to cook eggplant more properly :)

90 Shelley S. November 8, 2011

Hoorah!! Congratulations on winning best overall and best veg blogs! Well deserved!! =)

91 Heather (heathers dish) November 8, 2011

I am loving the vibrant colors in this! Such a beautiful dish!

92 Christina November 8, 2011

Hi! I have been reading your blog for some time now. I went back to the very beginning and am reading from there, which as you can imagine will take some time. Anyhow I finally got around to making one of your recipes last night. I made the Holiday Soup For The Soul. The soup is absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait to have some of the leftovers for lunch here shortly! Thanks for all of the inspiring and encouraging posts. I too am someone who used to abuse my body by not giving it the right fuel. In fact, I have a little purse calendar that I will never throw out because it reminds me of how bad it once got. I would mark “100”, “300”, FD, “200”, etc on each day. Can you believe that the number indicated how many calories I would allow myself for the day, and FD stood for Fast Day meaning I couldn’t eat anything? How I expected to nourish myself on 200, 300, or 100 calories is beyond me. Sure I was really thin but I was absolutely miserable and willing to bet I was a real bitch on wheels most days! So, long story short, I can completely identify with you and your readers. I appreciate a health blog comeing from someone who has a story similar to mine. We weren’t all perfect all of the time.

93 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day November 8, 2011

That looks great.. I like to marinate my eggplant overnight (raw) in a super garlicky balsamic/olive oil/rosemary dressing before breading it.. the acid and salt break it down really nicely and impart so much flavor.

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

that sounds so amazing! I never thought about marinating it, but what a genius idea. I will have to try that sometime.

95 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 8, 2011

looks great!! i tried something similar recently with eggplant & zucchini mixed in casserole dish. check it out http://livelovenyc.blogspot.com/2011/10/eggplant-zucchini-asiago-bake.html

96 Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 8, 2011

how delish! I made something similar using chestnut flour as the ‘breadcrumbs’ – a great GF alternative and oh so crispy! http://www.bakebikeblog.com/2011/09/eggplant-and-basil-parmigiana.html

and big congrats on the awards win! Well deserved!

97 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 8, 2011

This is such a great idea!

98 Victoria November 8, 2011

I love eggplant and have always had trouble cooking them at home. Definitely didn’t want to fry them. Can’t wait to try this. Congrats on the wins! You were my very first blog and absolutely my favorite (followed by Dailygarnish). I “discovered” you on a website “Sparkpeople” where someone talked about how great you were. Since that time, I have discovered several other blogs and have created some amazing dishes. Love reading your blogs and trying your recipes. So happy for you.

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

Thank you Victoria, that means a lot!

100 Stephanie @ Snacking on Sunshine November 8, 2011

How delicious does this look!!! WOW you’re such a rockstar in the kitchen. I can’t wait to give this a try this weekend :D
Congratulations on both awards, you really deserve them!

101 Melissa Lillie November 8, 2011

congrats! You derserve it!!!

102 Stacey November 8, 2011

Congrats on the awards!! You definitely deserve them and much more. Your blog is the only one I read (besides my besties but I’m obligated to do so, right? Steph, if you read this, I love you!).
Keep up the amazing work, I look forward to your blog daily. If only I could hire you and stick you in my pocket…

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 8, 2011

heh ;) I was actually thinking about hiring you as my marketer? ;)

104 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 8, 2011

I agree that eggplant probably is one of my lesser favorites, but when it’s cooked right and seasoned well, it can be good! Haha I actually had some in my lunch today!

105 Andrea November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your awards, you definately deserved them!

106 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 8, 2011

AHHHH no I love eggplant!!! Just died kinda. A little/a lot. Sending this to Mama Bear to make upon my arrival home.

107 Rebecca November 8, 2011

Congratulations on winning TWO awards. You are an amazing lady :)
Thanks so much for this recipe — I’m an Italian girl and eggplant p-san is one of my mom’s staple meals. I make my own veg version, but I must try your cheez sauce!!

108 Caitlin November 8, 2011

Congratulations on your award, Angela! You deserve it! It’s quite obvious from reading your blog that you truly love what you do and that you pour your heart and soul into it. Thank you for sharing your successes AND failures with all of us, not to mention all of the yummy recipes. I don’t know how you manage to make this blog so professional yet so down-to-earth at the same time. Keep up the wonderful work!

109 J.C. November 8, 2011

I made a similar recipe for eggplant but instead of using a baking sheet & flipping them mid-way, I put them on a broiler so they got nice & crispy on both sides without having that extra step–same oven temp (using a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet works just the same). I make zucchini the same way since I don’t like it all mushy & soft like most recipes turn out (at least for me).

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

That would work great too! I will have to try that out.

111 Morgansmenu November 8, 2011

I am going to make that cheeze sauce pronto! You know, that spongy texture is really pronounced in those large round “globe eggplants”. I think you might like it better if you try using the thinner Chinese or Japanese eggplant varieties (if you can find them bc they are definitely less common) – it is less bitter and less spongy. :)

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

Thanks I will try that!

113 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) November 8, 2011

Definitely try eggplant grilled or roasted in small cubes–it tastes GREAT that way. Also small variety of eggplants are significantly (!) better than the regular purple eggplant. I love Italian eggplant, Japanese, and fairytale–yes that is the actual name–eggplant the best. They have less seeds and don’t tend to be bitter. They are a bit pricier but well worth the cost!

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

I’ve been eying the Jap eggplant at the grocery store for a while…I should try it out!

115 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 8, 2011

I feel kind of “meh” about eggplant too, but I think it’s all about how you prepare it. I roasted some last night and had it in a quinoa salad with other roasted veggies, and I loved it! Other times when I just sauteed it in a pan, I didn’t like it so much.

116 Jamie November 8, 2011

Congrats on your awards! I voted for you. You opened up the food blogging world for me :)
You deserved it!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

Thanks Jamie!

118 B'klynHeart November 8, 2011

Love when a blogger and awesome recipe writer magically reads my mind when I’m thinking to myself, “What am I going to do with that eggplant I purchased the other day?”

119 Stacy November 8, 2011

Yum. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

120 Sara November 8, 2011

YUM! I’m going to make this next week!!

121 Emma (Emma+Jacob) November 8, 2011

Holy! Eggplants in your place are HUGE!!!

122 Deb November 8, 2011

Now I’m hungry ~ awesome looking recipe! And a big congratulations to you!! You are surely deserving of such recognition. : )

123 Brittany November 8, 2011

Congrats!!!

I’ve been reading for about a week and I’m not surprised!!! :)

124 Rachel November 9, 2011

definitely going to give this one a try!!!!

125 Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com November 9, 2011

It sounds so delicious! Will it make a big difference if I will not use the breadcrumbs? A family member has a strong allergy to it. Or maybe you know some good substitutions for it? Thank you!

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

The breadcrumbs are what give it the crunch so I wouldnt say it would turn out the same without them. Is it a gluten thing? If so, I have seen GF breadcrumbs on the market. Otherwise, you might be able to use ground almonds or cornmeal. Let me know if you try it!

127 AGS November 10, 2011

Ground nuts would work. I recommend walnuts. Their flavor compliments eggplant.

128 The Kitchen Buzzz November 9, 2011

Your sliced eggplant photos are superb! The recipe is unique and the colors are beautiful. Grazie. Nancy Real – The Kitchen Buzzz

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

Thank you!

130 Gail November 9, 2011

I’ve never cooked eggplant before, but last night I made Caesar Salad with eggplant bacon from Appetite for Reduction, OMG it was amazing. Now I’m wanting to try other things with eggplant. Your dish looks delicious.

131 Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 9, 2011

It’s 7:23 a.m. I just finished breakfast. I’m thinking this would be a lovely second one. :-)

132 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 9, 2011

Looks delish! I just started to like Eggplant Parmesan, so I can’t wait to try this recipe!!

133 Katrina November 9, 2011

This sounds delightful!

134 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 9, 2011

I’ve tried eggplant once and it wasn’t a pleasant experience but it was also a frozen cutlet deal. Perhaps one day I will summon up the courage to do it again but this time FRESH!

135 MaryBe November 9, 2011

Congrats on the well deserved awards! I’m so proud of you! I’m going to make that eggplant parm to celebrate

136 suzanne November 9, 2011

Congrats on the wins…you SO deserve them!
Great recipe – i have only had eggplant 1-2 x and found it a bit slimy or something – this recipe is worth trying to change my view :-) Thanks!

137 Erica November 9, 2011

Congrats on your awards. The eggplant parmesan looks great!

138 Teresa in Texas November 9, 2011

In regards to my recent comment: Ok, Obviously I’m not a vegan (chicken in a pita comment), BUT I do appreciate your blog and it has been very helpful to me in my weight loss efforts. I’ve lost 45lbs in 6 months and your blog has been a part of that! Teresa in Texas

139 Jennifer November 9, 2011

Congratulations on your blog honors, Angela! Well deserved!!!

140 Suzanne November 9, 2011

Congratulations on your awards, you certainly deserve them.
Lovely recipe! But am I being a bit daft (or British) but where’s the parmesan?

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

I suppose the vegan cheeze sauce works in its place. :)

142 Suzanne November 10, 2011

Of course! Doh! Sorry……vegan!

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2011

haha np ;)

144 lucy s. November 9, 2011

Congratulations on the well-deserved awards :) Lovely photos in this post.

145 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles November 9, 2011

Two Italian recipes in a row! My boyfriend the pasta lover will be pleased :)

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2011

hehe watch out I get on kicks!

147 SamCyn November 9, 2011

Congrats on the awards! The eggplant parmesan looks really tasty ;-)

148 Ellie@fitforthesoul November 9, 2011

Okay, wow…please don’t give me a heart attack! The second I saw that picture, I thought how cute and beautiful and delicious it looked!!

I love eggplant in any shape or form, and one of my fave ways of eating it is really healthy actually! It’s a Korean side dish that includes a lot of–what else? But garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, Korean red pepper flakes, soy sauce, and a few other things. Sorry, I had to share it because it’s my fave! I really want some of your dish now, too. Great job Ange~

149 Kris | iheartwellness.com November 9, 2011

I really think we need to all make this eggplant parm to celebrate the big award your just received!!! This is FAB!!!

Girl, your on fire ;)

xxoo

150 Meesh November 9, 2011

Wow, Angela, that looks amazing! I’ve only had eggplant a few times and I’ve always loved it, but I’m sure it’s because it was prepared well. I’ve never cooked it myself, but this makes me want to try!

151 Marian November 9, 2011

We always grew up eating eggplant fried in my household, since my Dad was a Italian, but I now prefer eggplant in other forms such as this beautiful recipe:)

152 AGS November 10, 2011

My mother made eggplant parm all the time growing up. I loved it. My brother — not so much. I continue to love eggplant in all forms — purreed soup, compote, stir-fry, you name it. But the part of me that cooks a lot of italian food suggests that eggplant parm should never be “spongy” (unless you like it that way, of course). It should be completely soft. Almost — I hate describing it this way, but this is how my brother would describe it — “slimey”.

153 greenthyme November 11, 2011

This looks fabulous. I make something similar and I love to bake the eggplant like this. It’s much healthier and lighter. Great idea to place it on spinach.

154 B'klynHeart November 11, 2011

Ah, I’ve been on a “Oh She Glows” kick as of late! Made this a couple of nights ago and it was fabulous! Also made an extra jar of the cheese sauce which is fabulous and has many uses. Just tried my first Green Monster smoothie and am hooked…

I must once again say Thank You! It’s all so delicious and makes me feel all happy and yummy inside!

155 Melissa November 13, 2011

I made this for dinner last night. Ah-mazing!! I added lots of extra spices to the batter as you suggested. I am looking forward to having this for lunch and dinner today!!!

156 Colleen November 14, 2011

I LOVE eggplant parm! My dad cuts the slices very thin because we don’t like the texture very much.

157 vegantester November 21, 2011

this is a FAB recipe – i subbed a little chickpea flour in, because i love the nutty, creamy flavour, and i also used a couple of japanese eggplants sliced very thin – the thinner it is, the less noticeable the texture: as my husband (who hates eggplant) said “they just taste like fried goodness” (except baked, so even better). i also doubled up the seasonings and added seasoning to the panko mix.

i love the cheez sauce, too, although – like the butternut mac n cheez – i halved the nutritional yeast, because i find that it then tastes more cheesy and less “noochy”.

158 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

159 Ava December 4, 2011

Fried eggplant is my favourite food of all time. This comes so close that I think i can replace the fried stuff! I’m going to make this for Christmas dinner (and probably every week as well!)

160 kristin December 5, 2011

Congrats on the awards! I totally voted. I can’t wait to try this recipe! Looks so good!

161 Anu December 5, 2011

Congrats on your awards…well-deserved but SO overdue! Keep up the great work :)

162 Sherry Woodward December 5, 2011

This recipe looks great! I love eggplant parmesan — and fairly new lover of eggplant (within reason). I bet a layer of roasted red pepper and garlic would be delicious on these… ok, it’s time to get to the kitchen laboratory. Thanks for posting this!
~Sherry

163 Nancy Mandzik December 6, 2011

my husbands favorite meal is eggplant parm. I ‘m definitely going to try this recipe !!!!

164 ZuzannaM April 22, 2012

I love this recipe! I made it my own by adding more spice, but it is a keeper. Even my husband loved it. He said he could eat them like chips! So there you have it ;)

165 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012

yay!

166 Joanne June 16, 2012

Just made this tonight and it was great. I like my eggplant thin, but I made the slices too thin (about 1/4 inch), I will definitely make them a little thicker next time. The coating was amazing. I ended up doubling the spices upon your recommendation. The cheeze sauce was great too!! We made half plain and half with the Daiya Mozzerella and we ended up putting the cheeze sauce on all of them! Thank you for the cheeze sauce recipe! I am allergic to cashews so I always appreciate a non-nut based cheese dip/spread etc! Thank you!

167 Megan June 18, 2012

I’ve been following your blog for a couple months now but this is my first comment. I made this for dinner tonight and wow, it was delish! Quick and easy recipe and the eggplant was crispy and flavorful. Thanks for sharing!

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Thank you Megan, glad it was enjoyed!

169 Radhika Sarohia August 17, 2012

This was very very good and filling, perfect vegan dinner for me
(Only one slight change, I subbed out the flour/bread crumbs for some lower-carb coating material)
Will be making this again soon

170 Diana Steadman October 3, 2012

I added 1 tsp of dijon mustard to the batter for a nice flavour boost. I have also made this with tofu strips and the kids loved it. Today I am trying it again with tofu but dry frying the tofu before dipping in batter to see what it does to the texture.

171 Anne M. October 12, 2012

I was thinking about using big portobellos with this recipe, do you think that would work well?

Thanks!

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 12, 2012

Im not sure Anne, but it’s an interesting idea. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

173 Anne M. October 12, 2012

So I made it with both the portobello caps and the eggplant tonight and both were wonderful. I think the portobello was actually a little better than the eggplant :)

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2012

Thanks for letting me know! I will have to try that out :)

175 Claudia January 15, 2013

I would love to learn how to cook egg plant. It’s a beautiful vegetable…now, taste is another story, I can’t get my husband to eat it…So, I’m going to try this recipe, I think he will like it if I hide that it’s an eggplant!
Congrats on the award!

176 Rachel May 17, 2013

Did you ever end up trying this recipe again? I am making it right now, and I am a bit scared. I’ve never cared for eggplant, but my daughter wants to try it!

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2013

Hi Rachel, I haven’t actually – but you just reminded me to! It’s probably my fav way to enjoy eggplant :)

178 Lisa August 7, 2013

I just tried this recipe tonight and it was amazing! Even my meat loving man couldn’t get enough. Love the salt tip to remove water. Thank you!

179 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2013

So glad you enjoyed it Lisa!

180 Mary Marshall August 9, 2013

Great recipe! The batter and breadcrumbs are a great base for anything you want to bake up all nice and crispy (zucchini, pickles, cauliflower)

I followed your advice and added more spices to both the batter AND the breadcrumbs. I also blotted the eggplant cutlets many times with paper towels to really get them dried out. The texture came out great (and I don’t usually like eggplant!)

I was trying to use up the fresh veggies I got in my CSA from the Farmer’s Market this week, so I actually paired this recipe with your Tomato Basil Cream sauce. I made these eggplant cutlets, then put the sauce over them. Delicious!

181 Reyna August 9, 2013

Found your site for the first time and made this tonight. Had not had eggplant parmesan since I went dairy free. And this recipe is spectacular!! My eggplant wasn’t too big so I halved the batter recipe but kept the salt to 1/2 tsp. Used Daiya Mozzarella shreds and Wegman’s Pomodoro Sauce. Amazing!!

182 sweetnbake.com August 10, 2013

I’ve been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth
enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made
good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever
before.

183 Christina H September 12, 2013

I made these this tonight for four meat eaters and they loved it! I served it over spaghetti squash, made a homemade tomato sauce with tomatoes from my garden, and topped with your cheese sauce. I also took your advice and added more spices (I basically just doubled the spices besides the salt). Thanks again for another great meal! :)

184 Christine October 12, 2013

Baked half of the eggplant per the recipe, fried half the eggplant (as a test- I admittedly was worried about the crisp factor from the oven). Both were AWESOME! Made some eggplant parm heroes with homemade marinara, baguette, and teese vegan mozzarella. So good. I think I’ll omit the “cheese” next time- it really didn’t need it.

185 ElShi January 14, 2014

This was delicious! Thank you so much for the recipe.

186 Jason April 15, 2014

Awesome recipe, bumped up the spices a little, like you suggested. This was our, (my wife and I) first time ever having eggplant. I got frustrated at the baking in the oven part, just would not brown, even after 15 minutes on one side. Needless to say frying is the way to go! Great recipe, decently a keeper!

187 Tracey April 30, 2014

Made these tonight and they were a huge hit with my hubby….and me too! I did fry mine though as last time I tried to make a baked eggplant it was too tough. But frying them up made them scrumptious! I even made your cheezy sauce to go on top and a side of spaghetti squash. Oh my! It’s going in my recipe box for sure!

188 Pee June 26, 2014

Eggplant (or aubergine, as we call it in Ireland!) is amazing when roasted, otherwise I am immensely creeped out by the weird spongy texture!

I wrote a recipe for roasted aubergine and walnut salsa- it’s ridiculously easy and delicious and entirely vegan. YAY! The link is below if anybody is interested!
creepygreens.com/roasted-aubergine-walnut-salsa-spicy-fried-chickpeas/

189 Lisa August 19, 2014

I gave these a try yesterday and I loved it! I love eggplants in general, but til now I didn’t think of the option of baking them..great idea! Thank you!

190 NDGSusan August 19, 2014

This Eggplant ‘Parmezan’ was perfect! So delish that my omnivore husband had no desire to add ‘real’ cheese. He raved about it so much that we had the leftovers the next day! Five and a half stars!
I served it with whole grain fettuccine, home made tomato sauce and your Cheeze sauce.
Will be serving it next time we have guests. And I won’t tell them it’s vegan.

191 Susan August 25, 2014

I am in the midst of making this recipe and it has been a terrible experience so far. The “breading” has fallen off the veggies and is sticking to the foil (you did not specify what to line the pan with), and I just tried a piece of it and it is the blandest thing I have ever tasted. Please taste-test your recipe before you post it! I now will have to figure out what to make for my family to eat with extremely short notice.

192 Jen September 16, 2014

I stumbled upon this a few weeks ago and pinned it… and finally just made it tonight. Not only did the salt trick work fantastically, but the breading was AWESOME! My husband is not always too keen on not having “real” (his words, not mine) protein at dinner, but he devoured this tonight, as did my kiddos! Thanks Thanks Thanks :D

193 Rita October 14, 2014

Made this tonight! Delicious! Fed 4 boys :)) how about using batter for chile relleno dish? Lentils for filling?

194 Crystal November 5, 2014

Congrats on your awards! Love your book. This is my first time trying one of your recipes. Liked the breading on the eggplant but is there a way to eliminate salting the eggplants. I rinsed the salt off but found the eggplants to be very salty still after baking. What did I do wrong? But overall the eggplants tasted good.

195 Phyllis February 18, 2015

Different eggplant varieties taste very different. For a less bitter, milder (maybe some would even describe it as a slightly sweet flavor) try Ping Tung or Rosita eggplant, probably will need to get it at a farmers market or grow it yourself. If you don’t like the soft-gooey texture of eggplant, instead of using salt to draw out the moisture and bitterness, try sun drying it for about 3 hours on a hot day or in the oven at 140 for about an hour. It will give the eggplant a texture more like mushrooms or some people say it’s like veal.

196 Sarah March 19, 2015

I´m making them right now!! Just tasted a slice and loved the softness and flavorfulness

197 Susan April 2, 2015

Awesome recipe! I re-heated the leftovers in the toaster oven and it was even better. I think I’ll cook in the toaster oven in the future – much crispier. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

198 Barbara September 3, 2015

I made the eggplant parm tonight and it was good. Some issues though – I cut it into 8 cutest as the recipe suggests (hadn’t read the blog first) and the pieces were really thick. The batter was also VERY thick, even though I thinned it out with more soy milk (what I had on hand). Could there be a misprint in the recipe? I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free white flour blend, which usually works well.
The cheese sauce was delicious – better than other nutritional yeast- based cheese sauces that I’ve tried.

I put pasta and cheese sauce on all of the cutlets and hope that I can reheat them like that – I noticed that the recipe seems to reheat just the eggplant…

199 Taylor Parker January 20, 2016

Wow! That Eggplant Parmesan dish looks incredible. A bunch of Italian restaurants in my town offer this dish, and I was thinking about taking my mom to dinner to try them out! I’m not the biggest fan of Italian food, but my mom is. It’s always fun to go out and spend time together; so I’m really looking forward to it!