Mushroom Millet Soup with Cheezy Garlic Bread

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on November 1, 2011

IMG_4015

Imagine this scene:

IMG_1709Last night, Eric and I got dressed up (me as the Queen of Hearts, him as the Scream character) and we stuffed 40 treat bags for the trick or treaters. They were bursting with candy and small toys like leap frogs and mini games.

Last year we got around 20 kids, so we doubled the quantity in case there was an influx of kids. We did it up!

Halloween music was pumping through the upstairs window and our black light was flashing. A mild headache ensued.

My poufy sleeves really started to itch my arms, but I persisted on and had another sip of my spiked cider. Eric said he couldn’t breathe through his mask, removing it every once and a while to gasp for air. No biggie.

Then we waited.

And you know what? Not one kid came to our door!!!

Needless to say, Eric’s coworkers will be overjoyed when they see all the treat bags he’s brought them today. I don’t think anyone is getting much work done today, unless buzzing around the office on a sugar high and playing leap frog counts.

Luckily, we had this soup to comfort us last night. The Queen of Hearts and Scream characters sat at the table and enjoyed a delicious bowl of soup and crispy garlic bread. Sometimes that’s all you need!

IMG_4020

I’ve made this soup twice in one week and the second time I doubled the recipe after deeming the first version produced too little soup (I posted the doubled recipe below). If you’re a mushroom fan, you will go crazy for this “meaty” and ultra hearty soup. It honestly makes me drool to look at these pictures because I love it so much. Normal, right?

Sauté some garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. [Don’t all amazing recipes start this way?] Then add in your sliced mushrooms and cook it down for about 15-20 minutes.

IMG_3984

Meanwhile, cook some millet in a pot. Quinoa would also work nicely too.

Add your broth & seasonings and simmer for about 5 more minutes.

IMG_3828 IMG_3825

At this point, I scooped half of my soup into the blender and processed it until lightly smooth. Then I poured this mixture back into the pot with the remaining soup. I loved this method because it thickens up the soup very nicely, but still left big mushroom pieces to bite into! Of course, if you have a hand held immersion blender that would work even better (a food processor would work too), but be sure to leave it chunky for the best texture.

Now, stir in the cooked millet. This thickens it up nicely too.

IMG_3992

And you’re done!

IMG_3993

Feel free to spoon into mason jars for portable work lunches.

IMG_4026

I also made some Cheezy garlic bread based off a recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan.

IMG_3990

To make:

• Slice a baguette in half
  • Peel a garlic clove and cut it in half and rub the garlic all over the bread. This helps infuse the garlic flavour into the bread without it being overpowering. You can also use garlic powder or garlic salt.
  • Spread on some Earth Balance or other non-dairy spread.
  • Followed by a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (for the cheezy flavour) and kosher salt
  • Bake at 350F for about 14-15 minutes until crispy and golden. Slice & serve warm!

This was amazing!

IMG_3995

I don’t even want to tell you how many pieces I had. I think I ploughed through a quarter of the baguette! Why are baguettes so insanely good?

IMG_4025

By the way, my tests came back normal so gluten is here to stay. I’ll be talking about this more in a future post though.

IMG_4009

IMG_4023

Late last night, we headed out for our evening walk. A nice older lady who lives down the street had made a cute Halloween display for the kids at the end of her driveway. There was a sign taped to a haystack that read “Please help yourself to the candy!”, but no candy to be found.

We walked down the road a bit and there was a RACCOON with her bowl of candy happily munching away on a Snickers bar in front of her yard.

At least, someone’s enjoying Halloween!

Natalie November 1, 2011 at 8:29 am

It was a quiet Halloween here too! We usually have around 120 kids, but had 33 last night!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

Wow that is a huge drop! I heard a lot of parents are bringing their kids to the malls now?

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

It was quiet at my house too! I’m thinking it was too cold….scaredy cats! lol
I love your costume!

LizAshlee November 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

Mmmm…I am loving the simple soup recipes…great idea! Happy November!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

A raccoon? haha! That’s too funny!
You have me drooling over this soup with my coffee in hand still. It looks delicious!
We had no trick or treaters last night either. So sad :(

Anne Weber-Falk November 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Oh No!! All dressed up and nobody to see you. We live at the last house on the block and we never get many trick or treaters. We see them coming, sometimes right across the street. We get very excited. Then they turn the corner or never cross over. We put out fun decorations and play fun sounds and music outside. We dress up too. This year we had about 25 visitors. You keep on having fun with the holiday. Someday they will come, and it’s great practice should you two decide to have some little trick or treater’s of your own. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

that’s the spirit!

Judy November 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Great costume Angela. We noticed a lot less kids this year too – it seems there are less and less each year. I wouldn’t be surprised if soon there was no trick or treating at all. I guess it isn’t as safe, or maybe people are just more paranoid? Or there are more healthy eaters…. Kinda sad since Halloween is one of my favourite holidays, and seeing the kids all dressed up in the streets makes me so nostalgic.

I’m not a mushroom fan but that garlic bread looks pretty yummy!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 1, 2011 at 8:43 am

They were all in Brooklyn. There were approximately 38098345703465983409u2498560394658923409 trick or treaters outside.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

LOL I would have loved to look through your front window and see 2 adults dressed as the Queen of Hearts and a guy from Scream sitting at the table and eating dinner! Your costume looks great Ange! And we didn’t have many trick or treaters either.. must be the semi-student neighbourhood I live in!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Yes it was pretty funny/sad…mostly sad. haha

Therese November 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

I thought that when I moved to Toronto I’d have a boatload of kids on Halloween but the last three years I’ve been handing out candy we’ve been getting less and less and less. I always scratch my head wondering where they all went!

LOVE your costume though! Alan and I dressed up as well and had a blast even if it was for just an hour or so!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow that is surprising! I remember living in our condo in North York and being so sad they didnt let kids go door to door!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 1, 2011 at 8:46 am

I can’t believe you went through all that work and didn’t get any trick-or-treaters! I assure you that kids are still trick-or-treating…we went through 15 bags of candy.

Your soup looks so comforting. I love a good fall soup with bread.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow! 15 bags?

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

Awww, I can’t believe you put together gift bags and no kids came!! Boo!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love the simplicity of this recipe – but it sounds so flavorful! :)

coffeeaddict November 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

That’s so strange! Some people on the blogosphere were complaining they had a hoard of kids trick or treating. Some even as late as 9.00 or 10.00 in the evening!
Serious bummer! But the gusy at work deserve a healthy treat too :-)
The sopu looks spectacular, just a recipe for a dreary wet dark day! Off to make some…

Aine @ Something to Chew Over November 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

I love mushroom soup, it’s my favourite type!

How disapointing you didn’t get any visitors :(

Janet November 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

This is the 21st century. Halloween has to go the way of corded phones, records, and milkmen. It’s not safe to let your child accept candy from a stranger even if you know where they live.

elisa November 1, 2011 at 8:54 am

hey! great recipe! I love the pictures you take! What if we can’t use Worchester sauce because of soy allergies? What could we replace it with you think ? is it that strong of a flavor in the soup?
Cant wait to try it out!

Thanks and congrats on running such a great blog and the new book contract, so great :)

Elisa

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 9:56 am

Here is the ingredient label from the sauce I used:

Maybe you can try and make you own without using the soy ingredients? It seems like ACV, sweetener, salt, lemon juice, and some seasonings might work?

You can probably forgo the W. sauce and it would still taste good, just won’t have a bit of kick to it.

Jennifer M November 1, 2011 at 8:58 am

We only got 25 kids….though we only just moved into this neighbourhood this year. I know when I lived at home in a different part of town we used to get 100+ kids.

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

awww :( we’ve had that happen a few times — we were all stocked up, ready to go… and no kids!! last night, though, we had almost TOO many. i had to start sneaking some candy at the end just to make sure there would be enough for me!

can’t wait to try this soup. i’m on a major mushroom kick lately!

jenny November 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

I was going to make lentil soup today, but now must make this. Sometimes I just spread earth balance, pepper, and garlic powder on bread and it tastes like garlic bread! Lol
I work at the mall and let me tell you, ALL the kids were there. It was insane!

Jessica November 1, 2011 at 9:00 am

Do they have Trunk or Treat where you live? I am in Iowa (USA) and many churches hold Trunk or Treats. People park their cars in a parking lot and decorate their trunks, then hand out candy. The one we went to last night had about 15 cars. Safely lit, didnt have to walk far in the dark and 40 degree weather, and cute decorations to see in trunks (the 50s diner was my favorite). We drove through my town and you would have to walk for 30 blocks to get very much candy, there just aren’t many houses that give out candy anymore :( Malls also give it out here, but our closest is 45 minutes away, That is totally weird you went from 20 to zero, sure you had the right night? Porch light in? Weird. Love your costume!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 9:57 am

Trunk or treat sounds cool!

Radha November 1, 2011 at 9:00 am

Those kids really missed a treat not coming to your house. I would have stopped by 2-3 times! Loving your blog. Miss you on twitter.

Katie November 1, 2011 at 9:03 am

Speaking of being a fan of mushrooms – I made your lentil walnut loaf on the weekend, minus the carrot and apple (oops I didn’t have any!) with LOTS of chopped porcini and button mushrooms and subbed dried cranberries for the raisins… it was AMAZING. My very carnivorous bf loved this one and the original – thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 9:57 am

Oh that’s great to know those subs worked well..I’ll have to try that!

jassy @ Healthy Egg November 1, 2011 at 9:03 am

no trick-or-treaters?! that is kinda sad but maybe, there’s just no kids around your area. :) your costume is cute :)

Alexis November 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’m not vegan but your food always makes me drool. I actually have some cooked quinoa in the fridge that would be perfect in this soup! I look forward to making it this week.

popi November 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

Hello Angela.
I have recently discovered your blog and honestly it is an inspiration for me to start cooking!
I don’t eat meat myself and I find your recipes very inspiring.
My goal now is to stop all dairy products. However I am worried about my calcium intake and my protein intake-especially in the morning. I am not so into protein powder so if you do have some breakfast options i would love to try them out.
PS: Love your Halloween costume!
xx
POPI

Amanda Elliott November 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

I LOVE mushrooms so this will certainly be made!

It was our first Halloween in our new house and we had about 30 kids. It was a decent amount since we live in a new community. We have a lot of babies in our area, so I imagine that number will go up a little every year!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com November 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

That anecdote about the raccoon was hilarious! :D

The past few years, Tim and I got all geared up for Trick or Treaters and nobody showed up – leaving us with a ton of candy! So this year, we were the house with the porch light turned off. We could hear kids running around, but nobody rang the doorbell.

Now on to the soup and cheese bread: OMG. I need to eat that SOON!! *is drooling*

melissa wawrzkiewicz November 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’m in the Danforth area, and last night we got hundreds of kids! All the houses were running out of candy very early on.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

That would be fun :)

Vanessa November 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

This looks SO delicious. <3

Ashley November 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

Oh my my my, you’ve nailed it with this recipe. Chris doesn’t like mushrooms, but so I am going to slurp this all down by myself!! Favorite photos are 1 + 3. The white is a great contrasting color for this soup. Well, when does a white plate or bowl not make something look good? ;) I didn’t even BUY candy because I knew no one would come to our house. We live in a busy area, but our house is set back pretty far on the street and there is this weird plastic crap all around our porch. ANYthing but inviting. haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

haha thanks :) I loved the look of the mugs too! Such a nice change from bowls and it gives it a whole other look.

Linda November 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

I was out trick or treating with my kids! They love it and the mall experience is not the same. I would hate to see the end of trick or treating – kids love the freedom of running around their neighbourhood for one night a year!

Carolyn November 1, 2011 at 9:21 am

So sad! My building doesn’t really have children, so no trick or treaters. I’ll have to ask my parents – they normally get hundreds, but maybe the kids are all grown up now.

And I am definitely making this soup tomorrow.

Mushrooms Canada November 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

WOW I can’t believe you didn’t get any kids! I only had one little guy come to my door… the cutest little bumblebee! The mushrooms soups looks amazing. I never thought of using a mason jar as a way of transporting soup… I might try it with the mushroom soup I made on Sunday.
– Brittany

Cait's Plate November 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

That costume is phenomenal! And my mom said the same thing – over the years she’s gotten hardly any kids! Where are they all!? What are they doing instead of getting free candy from neighbors???

Camilla November 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Thanks for such an inspired idea for the millet in my pantry! I have used it a lot in baking and for morning cereal, but had never thought of using it in soup. Cannot wait to try this!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty November 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

I nabbed some millet at my local Chinese market last week, so I’m excited to have a millet-specific recipe to try! That cheesy bread looks amazing, too.

Jaclyn T November 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

We had 5 kids, apparently. It seems that parents drop their kids off in big sub divisions or take them to the malls. My sister took her girls to the mall (they are only 3 so it kinda makes sense–less walking in traffic, warmer) and they got free ice cream from Dairy Queen.

[email protected] DiVa DiSh November 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

I think we got maybe 3 trick or treaters this year! It was pretty sad lol.
But I can def say that I would be super happy to enjoy that soup and bread on a chili halloween night! :-) Yum! I love the colors!

Erica @ Cupcakes & Coffee Breaks November 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

I too have heard about the kids going trick-or-treating in malls… that just isn’t right. Most of my best halloween memories are of my sister and I running from door to door (difficult in the 12 clothing layers that Ontario requires) and enjoying every house’s decorations!

Laura November 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

That soup looks amazing! Love mushroom soup. I only have half a pound of mushrooms right now that are on their way out…so I’m def making this soup today! I’ll throw in some dried ones to make up the difference! Quinoa is also great added to chili to thicken it.

Katie November 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

Maybe all their parents are plant based and say “NO” to the candy this year! LOL I didn’t get any trick or treaters either! Then again they probaly would not have appreciated the organic apples I was going to hand out! LOL LOL

Esen November 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

This looks delicious Angela, can’t wait to try it! I might use Teff instead of the millet, as that’s what I have on hand.

And by the way, we only had 2 trick or treaters last night! :(

Esen

erin November 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

I love the Pin it option you added! this soup sounds amazing! pinning it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks :)

Adriane November 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

This sounds great! I bet it would go great with barley too if you didn’t have millet. Then i guess it wouldn’t be gluten free though…

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

yea you could really add any grain…brown rice would be nice too :)

Andrea November 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

Mmmmm you just made me crave warm from the oven garlic bread!

Amanda November 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

This meal sounds fantastic! Especially beautiful photography in this post.

Sorry you didn’t get any trick or treaters. That’s a little odd…but Eric’s co-workers will be thrilled, I’m sure. :) It’s mostly apartment buildings in my neighborhood, so I only saw a handful of trick or treaters where I live. Love seeing little kids all dressed up and so excited! Halloween was definitely my favorite holiday growing up.

Connie November 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

Only one trick-or-treater here last night, the neighbor girl. The kids don’t like our house, it has too many steps, they go to the neighborhoods with flat terrain and houses close together. :(

Christina November 1, 2011 at 10:08 am

Great minds think alike! My fiance and I were just talking about how we used to love cream of mushroom soup as kids, I told him I’d try to make a healthy vegan version this weekend. I think I may have to just use your recipe :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

The soup looks amazing. When the weather starts to turn (and turn it has), soup is just the best thing ever. I’m going to mix dried chanterelles into this too.
Sorry to hear about your absence of kids after all your hard work. We had a roller derby halloween party and it was the first time I’ve dressed up in about 15 years (Alice in Wonderland, and my partner as the Mad Hatter – we could have used you there to round out the cast!). When it came to last night though, I had to turn off the lights and vacate the house. The kids and doorbell ringing just drives the dogs nuts!

kalli November 1, 2011 at 10:20 am

you look so darn cute! i woul dhave come by your house for sure :) what has the world come to? no tirck or treaters-strange. i am sure eric’s coworkers will enjoy the treats today though…..can’t wait to try this soup recipe-printing it out now.

meg November 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

We actually ran out of candy! This was our first year in our new neighborhood and there are a lot of families with kids on our block. I forgot to count, but we handed out 15 candy bars and a huge bag of candy. Next year I’ll get three bags….

Glad to hear your gluten tests are normal. I got tested negatively as well, so I just enjoy bread and pasta in moderation these days. :)

rachel November 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

mmm mushroom soup is the best! will be making this for sure! so sad you didn’t get any trick or treaters :( we got 3 groups of kids, which i think totalled to 5 kids. that’s our usual. next year we’re taking our daughter out, i think she’ll like it :)

Sara November 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Oh my gosh, your costume is too cute! Trick or treating seems to be on the decline in general. Well, now Happy November!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

Great costume!! you look so cute!

thanks for this hearty belly warming recipe! I love soups like this as the weather gets cooler!

Carissa November 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

We didn’t have our light on because we had company over and we weren’t planning on handing out candy. As we were getting dinner, someone banged on the front door. We were shocked & a little upset, because usually the light off signifies not to knock. We ignored it, but then suddenly they were banging on the kitchen side door, too! We were happy they tried again, cause it was my nephew’s first Halloween & we were the first stop! I found a mini candy bar in the living room bowl, and his dad ate it for him. :-)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath November 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

I can’t believe you didn’t get any trick or treaters! I think a lot of people’s Halloweens were scheduled differently because it was on a Monday. Bummer!! I don’t get any trick or treaters because I don’t live in a neighborhood. I love the costume!

Lisa November 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

The soup looks delicious! With cold weather officially here I’m excited to start making soups all the time. Thanks for the recipe!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather November 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

We didn’t have any trick or rewarded last night either, but at my parents house there never are any so it was expected. Cute costume!

Mushrooms have been awesome lately, and this soup looks awesome too! Comforting for sure, especially with cheezy bread…. Mmmm baguette’s sure are addicting.

Moni'sMeals November 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

That is too bad no one came, they missed out! That has happened to me too. :) Love the costume. ;)

This meal looks great and that garlic bread makes it even more! My husband would love this, he LOVES mushrooms.

jenna November 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

this looks amazing!

amy November 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

oh yummy! Cute costume and so funny about the racoon! I love your blog so much!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

This look so comforting and delicious – I love mushroom anything!

Ann Marie November 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

This soup looks amazing! It’s so sad you had no one come when you were so festive with the night! I too only had one group of neighbors trick or treat…so strange!

Jen November 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

Love the recipe – I’m thinking Barley :)

Kathryn November 1, 2011 at 11:12 am

Yay for gluten!!! I also found out I’m ok to eat wheat, but I need to be moderate about it. I can sure tell a difference when I OD on the bread.

I love the racoon story and I can’t wait to make this soup!

Audrey November 1, 2011 at 11:16 am

This looks SO good!

Tia November 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

That stinks! We have lived in our place for three years and this year our trick-or-treaters went up 600%!! Well… only because we had 6 kids this year and have never had anyone show up for the last two years!

I want a cup of that soup right now. It looks amazing.

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race November 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

That stinks that you didn’t get any kids! We don’t in our neighborhood either. So sad :(

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl November 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

I suppose great minds think alike as I was imagining making this soup before you posted it! My cognitive version was a little different however… it would contain liquid smoke, diced tomatoes, kale, and tempeh bacon…. Hope it comes together!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 1, 2011 at 11:37 am

I had to pin this soup on Pinterest. It looks so delicious!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner November 1, 2011 at 11:37 am

Wow! definitely added this one to my favorites.. can’t wait to try it!!
So sad that you had no trick or treaters! I agree, what IS this world coming to? i remember it was such a big deal when I was little and there would be so many kiddies out and about.

Amber K November 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

My friend’s aunt posted on facebook her total of trick-or-treaters – over 300! Now that is some serious Halloween. I bet those kids are going to be bummed that they missed on those awesome bags you made. And you look awesome in your costume!

Becca November 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

Don’t feel guilty: a quarter of a baguette isn’t bad. I thought you were going to say the entire baguette, but you were nowhere near that much!

Irina November 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

love the outfit! Very cute and feminine :) Can’t believe no kids turned up, how strange, they’ve missed on all the fun.
That soup looks delicious, and considering I like both millet and mushroom I will be trying it out very soon! thank you for the recipe.

Sonia (the Mexigarian) November 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

wow. the mushroom soup looks amazing. it’d be perfect for a cold fall/winter day. it’s just so happens it’s going to rain here in the Bay Area so I’ll be making this this weekend :D

Sara November 1, 2011 at 11:59 am

I do believe I will be making this with quinoa this week. YUM!

WIERDGREENMAN November 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Nobody here goes anywhere but this one affluent neighborhood near the beach. We haven’t had any trick-or-treaters over in years. That neighborhood, however, is absolutely flooded with kids, who think that “the rich people have the best candy”. The streets just outside of that neighborhood only have two or three houses each street giving out candy, because no one goes there.

Angela W November 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh.My.Gosh. You are speaking my language, girl!! Mushrooms are pretty much my favorite thing. Aaaand I’ve been wanting to learn how to use more whole grains, branch out a bit from just brown rice and quinoa. Thanks!!

[email protected] November 1, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Mmm that looks so delicious! You look awesome as the queen! Sad to hear about your lack of trick-or-treaters. My family home also hasn’t had any tick-or-treaters in recent years.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I only got a few kids this year too! Haha great costume though! I am loving this soup recipe :)

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner November 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either : ( so sad…and so much left over candy!

Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) November 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

First of all, this soup is so right down my alley and it’s perfect because I’ve been waiting for a great recipe to try millet with! I’ve never cooked it before.

Secondly, I TOTALLY know how you feel about the trick or treat thing. Last year we had none after the year before having run out of candy completely! This year, we only had one group. The raccoon thing is just hilarious though.

Wynne November 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Me, too–I have a cup of millet from the health food store bulk bin, waiting for its first recipe.

Jessica O. November 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Oh my gosh, Angela, this recipe is perfect! I keep thinking, I have a bag full of millet in the cupboard I need to use, and I definitely need to make a big batch of something for portable lunches this week. I now have the solution! Thanks!

Georgina November 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I love this soup! I have to try it. I happen to have mushrooms in the fridge. :)

One question about nutritional yeast: how do you store it? Should I have refrigerated? :S It is a new product for me, and I’m not totally sold on it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I just store it in a mason jar in my cupboard :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

That’s so sad about the trick-or-treaters! I think parents in my area are doing more organized events due to crime increases. :(

Love the looks of that soup! I recently made a similar mushroom soup, but added lentils for bulk. Never enough ‘shrooms!

Kat November 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Oh gosh, I’m definitely making this tonight. It looks incredible.

RachelSD November 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Yum, that looks so good! Can’t wait to try it. The good news is you looked great and a raccoon had a good night. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 1, 2011 at 1:18 pm

The recipe looks awesome.

Love the new header banner with the pumpkins…so festive. I know you mentioned awhile back that you were going to rotate them and by gosh, you have. Dig it.

“What has the world come to these days? Are there no kids trick or treating anymore? It was like a ghost town out there. ” <— As the mother of a 4 year old, yes, it's VERY hard for me these days. Lots of adults/houses in our area don't do Halloween, they keep their house dark and we live urban so there's more condos and high rise bldgs than single family homes so we go to the mall. I posted pics of how the local stores pass out candy to the kids b/c the houses in the area or condos/apts aren't really conducive to it. Times are 'a changing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Yes they are!

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY November 1, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I can’t believe no one came to trick or treat! That sucks but at least you tried!

Charlie November 1, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I would definitely LOVE this soup!!! Yummm

Tina B November 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm

We had no kids in our neighborhood either. Also, I notice there were only 3 houses giving out candy this year. I end up having to take my neices to a trunk and treat event to get candy.

Katie F November 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

That soup looks yummy! I love mushrooms in soups.

I assure you that the kids are still trick-r-treating. My neighborhood was inundated with kids (from tot to teen). They were all driven around in cars (minivans, mostly) that blocked my way home last night.

Melanie November 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

This soup sounds amazing–looking forward to trying it later in the week! Love your recipes–thanks. :)

Rose November 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That sound recipe sounds heavenly. Printing it out to make as soon as it gets cool down here.

That sucks so bad that you didn’t get any kids last night. Especially since they would have been *stoked* to get little treat bags. =(

marilyn November 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I am missing part of the recipe?, am i the only one? When do the mushrooms get added and how long should the cook?
was hoping to make for dinner!
thanks for the great recipes!

Trick or treaters were lean here as well despite the beautiful weather. ; (

[email protected] Broken Cookies Don't Count November 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

The soup sounds so good! I’m going to have to try it!

val November 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Going to try the soup this weekend. We also had very few trick-or-treaters in Ohio. Might be because the local malls were holding trick-or-treat indoors over the past few weekends.
Love your outfit, adorable!

marilyn November 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

never mind, found it, I just didn’t read all the above info. The short recipe without all the pics is missing the mushroom step though.

sorry to be confusing!

MelanieF November 1, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Wow, Angela! That soup looks amazing! I will be making this for my lunches next week! Thanks for the recipe!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) November 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

what a delicious belly-warming soup! and LOVE your costume!

Emmy (Wine and Butter) November 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm

That looks amazing Ang – something about mushrooms is just so good and you’ve got me MASSIVELY craving them now!
I was also wondering though whether you would ever consider doing a blog post on marketing your blog?! I’ve just started one and am LOVING writing it – but I sometimes do wonder if anyoen is reading at all! :). I get that I need to prove my blog worth through good content, … but I was also wondering if you had any tips on ensuring people were seeing that content at all :). I’d love to know! xox

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 1, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Hey Emmy!

I talked about this a bit on my FAQ page (under blog questions #4) I hope that helps! http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/

Katrina November 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm

This soup sounds lovely!

Mindy November 1, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I made this soup today for my husband and 2 year old. We all loved it! I wanted to thank you for all of your delicious recipes. It has helped my family turn the corner from veg to vegan. Before I found your blog, my husband wasn’t enjoying a lot of the dairy and egg free recipes I had used. I look forward to a cookbook, so I always have recipes on hand!!

Kristy H November 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

mmm, looks so good! never tried millet before so as soon as i get my hands on some im making this.

blossjoss November 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either! So weird.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

That’s such a bummer about the lack of trick or treaters. Seeing all the cute kids dressed up is one of the best parts of Halloween!

But at least this soup looks amazing!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats November 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

the number of trick or treaters my parents get at their house has diminished a lot too! lol although I think they at least got a few. Where did all the kids go???

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Ha, too funny! I just saw one of these pics on Pinterest. Small [online] world. :)

That’s a bummer you guys got all done-up and didn’t get any trick or treaters! Crazy! I didn’t get too many either. Don’t these kids want goodies???

Molly @ RDexposed November 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Not a single one??? What’s with those Canadians? Yes yes, only a joke! Although I did laugh at every Canadian joke on How I Met Your Mother last night. :)
Looking forward to what you have to say about gluten!

Danielle November 1, 2011 at 8:17 pm

can’t wait to try this soup!

and a note on yesterday’s post…congrats on 3 years of fab blogging!! so glad i found this happy corner of the internets about a year ago! (i didn’t comment yesterday since i won the lulu giveaway :) )

FoodFeud November 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

This looks absolutely perfect! I love mushrooms in soups and the Worcestershire sauce gives it such an awesome golden color.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 1, 2011 at 9:00 pm

The pics in this post are beautiful (as usual.) Happy Halloween, Your Majesty!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Wow, I can’t believe that not ONE kid came to your door!! My old neighborhood had hundreds, literally!

Karlee @olivewineandfood November 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

sorry you didn’t have any trick or treaters!! :( that is a bummer. i wish i had you to cook for me everyday : )

Hannah November 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Teehee, I live in Australia, where the craziest thing that happens on Halloween is in one single kid arrives at your door! I think they’d get a muesli bar from me. No way I’m parting with my fancy chocolate :P

LOVE the costume, and I really need to give millet another chance!

Kris | iheartwellness.com November 2, 2011 at 12:05 am

Ohhhh my! How cute are you?? You didn’t get one little ghoul??? So sad! I love the giggles of kids on halloween :)

What a delicious looking soup, I love fall cozy soups!!

xxoo

Casey Thomas November 2, 2011 at 1:02 am

Angela your costume is hilarious! So sweet! :)
No trick or treaters over here in Australia, haven’t seen any for a few years now!
This recipe sounds wonderful! I make a delicious cauliflower and sweet potato soup that I put millet into – so divine!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie November 2, 2011 at 1:46 am

Aww I’m so sorry you didn’t have any trick or treaters! There wasn’t many in my neighborhood either this year! I don’t know what that’s about!

Amy Baylis November 2, 2011 at 2:18 am

Hello!
I was wondering if it would work well to substitute zucchini for the mushrooms?
Thank you!
p.s. I love ALL your recipes!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 2, 2011 at 5:20 am

We didn’t have any trick or treaters either! The soup looks fab!

Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg November 2, 2011 at 5:46 am

I did high school in a “nicer” area of St. Catharines, ON between a “low income” area and a rural area. Halloween night usually involved hundreds of children (and mini-vans parked all along the road). I had a hard time identifying the kids we actually knew.

Now I live in a very rural part of New Hampshire, in the 4 Halloweens we have been here, I have never seen a single trick or treater. I don’t even try anymore. I have some candy stashed away that we can give kids that might show up, but it’s unlikely. And this year, with a foot of snow on the ground and no power in many of my neighbour’s houses, I didn’t expect any.

Alyssa (Down To Earth) November 2, 2011 at 5:50 am

Super cute costume! That’s too bad about no trick-or-treaters…I grew up in an area where the houses were too far apart to go trick-or-treating – my parents always carted us into the suburbs. I have a feeling, when i finally get my own place, it’ll be the same situation. You could save the toys for next year!
PS: your soup looks so tasty!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 2, 2011 at 6:11 am

The Cheezy Garlic bread looks so good!!! I have been bread free for a like two days and I could so go for a gooey, cheesy crust bread right now!!!

Alison November 2, 2011 at 6:18 am

Live in Bristol in the UK and just found your fab site, linked from Wild Onions. Terrific recipes. Originally come from Dublin in Ireland and Halloween was always a really big thing and great fun. When my family visited Ireland in school hols over Halloween, my two girls had a great time dressing up and visiting the most amazingly generous neighbours where we were staying (we had lots of lovely little visitors ourselves). My grown up girls still talk very fondly about their Halloween outings!

Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 2, 2011 at 6:44 am

Aww, I’m sorry you didn’t have any trick-or-treaters, Angela. At least you had garlic bread. ;-)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 2, 2011 at 7:02 am

You weren’t the only one with no trick or treaters, we haven’t had one in six years and I mean that the last time we had one, it was one lone trick or treater. We live in what I would consider a prime spot too so oh well, more Nerds for us! ;-)

This soup looks so yummy and it’ll give me an excuse to go to Whole Foods to pick up some bulk millet!

nuttmegs17 November 2, 2011 at 7:37 am

I’m not sure what tests you had to test for gluten, but PLEASE proceed cautiously, it’s insane how many false negatives are associated with celiac and gluten intolerance. The best bet is elimination. If you continue to feel better and have gluten then great. if you went as far as a biopsy, just remember that your intestine is about 6 feet long and docs generally only take about 4 samples so chances are great they might have missed the part of the intestines that was under stress. If it’s blood testing, you have to think about the ranges…if you showed up at all you have a gluten allery, however most blood tests read as >30 or whatever….so it wont even tell you if you are say, 29 on the scale. There’s lot to be considered so please keep that in mind! There’s also more than one blood test to take. I was diagnosed at an adule celiac center and they told me these things. Can’t wait to read your post!

suzanne November 2, 2011 at 8:31 am

Sorry you had no trick or treaters …it does seem that many kids are going to specific areas – planned Halloween parties, condensed neighborhoods…We live in a very small town and had a ‘trunk or treat’ – people decorate their trunks and park in the school lot and kids go from car to car – then to the one little neighborhood that is across the street from there. Otherwise – all houses are too spread out. It felt strange for us as my boyz went on their own with friends – just checking in with me at the trunk or treat. This was a first – they are getting so old!
I love your costume! ..and of course can’t wait to make the soup – think I will make it next time my mom visits as she is a mushroom fan!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 2, 2011 at 8:57 am

ah so much to say

1. THANK YOU for introducing me to nutritional yeast, I’m a week in and loving it … my surgeon will be happy that I’m pretty much off all dairy

2. honestly what makes baguettes so good you’re right … every time we buy one I try to save half of it for the next day or leftovers but somehow Brad convinces me that we should eat the whole thing

3. last year I dressed up in my ninja turtle costume and stood on the porch waiting for kids, none came, so then I started walking up and down the street wondering where they were … Brad told me to come in and stop hooking for trick or treaters … this year I had class and Brad said no one came to the door again :(

Caren November 2, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am a lurker finally weighing in! Your blog is one of my faves. I drool over some of your desserts but it’s your VOO that has become a standard with me. This soup has my name on it, I’m sure of that but I don’t think we have vegan Worchester Sauce here in Israel. What can I use instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

soy sauce?

Casi Leigh November 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Just an FYI, tried it tonight with the soy sauce Ange suggested plus two teaspoons of vegan liquid smoke and it did the trick beautifully.

Zestful Lou November 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m sitting at my desk waiting for my student’s to arrive and DROOLING over the pictures of this soup! It’s so cold in my classroom right now.

I also want to make this cheezy garlic bread and live off of it for all eternity.

Tichina November 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

Your costume is adorable!! :) And don’t fret, there was a major storm the night of Halloween here in Newfoundland (high winds etc… I actually blew away into the street earlier on in the day!) so we only had a few brave souls come out for candy too. :(

Angela Bonnell November 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hi Angela
When do you add the mushrooms? Do you saute them with the onions? This recipe looks amazing, I’m going to make it for dinner tonight:)

Angela Bonnell November 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

I should have looked back at the photos. Nevermind:)

Charissa @ TwinTaste November 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

Oh my gosh! I’m making this today. Yum!

My sister and I always make our bread into garlic bread for basically every meal. Even slices for sandwiches taste great! A little Italian seasoning tastes great on it too. It’s like, once you’re hooked, there’s no better way! :)

Christine November 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

This looks delish! I might have to make it tomorrow!

Sarah November 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

That cheesy bread looks so good! Love the costume too :)

Lauren (PB&G) November 2, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wow.. that soup looks phenomenal! I’m a mushroom freak and I just can’t get enough! I’ll have to try out this recipe sometime soon!

Love the costume, by the way! Too bad no trick-or-treaters got to see it.. =(

Ashlyn Bergman November 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

I made the soup last night and it was delicious!! I used quinoa instead of millet and I added kale and bokchoy. Yummy goodness!!

Mai November 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

What a great idea to try earth balance + nutritional yeast!

Jessica November 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

made this last night…i added chicken (SHAME) for the soon to be husband…we loved it…hes not feeling well it hit the spot

Jenny | Floppycats.com November 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

I am going to try this with kale as Ashlyn suggested. I will also use quinoa – sounds delicious – although mushrooms really give me bad gas – i love them so but sometimes the gas is annoying!

beetred November 2, 2011 at 12:00 pm

This soup looks delicious! Is millet like bulgur (not sure if I’m spelling that right)? It looks like cous cous a little bit.

Mary November 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Angela,

Greetings from the Heartland-from Bellevue, Nebraska. It is a cold and dreary day with rain and thick snowflakes falling- the kind of day that screams let’s make soup. I am a 22 year old student and have been a long time follower of your blog(read-lurker) and I just had to come out of the woodworks for this recipe. I whipped up a half batch using a cup and a half of sweet onion, a shallot, quinoa, and half white button mushrooms and half baby portobellos since that’s what I had available. My mom and I just sat down to enjoy this…and oh my goodness, Angela. My mom says it’s better than ANY mushroom soup she’s had at a five star restaurant. I didn’t say anything because I’m too busy enjoying this little bowl of heaven. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, I know I’ll be using it over and over again.

Your blog is a daily source of support and inspiration, I look forward and cherish every post. Thanks again, Angela.

-Mary

julie November 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm

hi angela! made this soup last night and it was my absolute FAVORITE soup i’ve ever made! I am the hugest mushroom fan ever so used mushroom bouillon for the base…. just glorious. sprinkled thyme on the top. just wanted to let you know that when you hit “print recipe” it lists the first step as “heat oven to 350” and then doesn’t list when to add the mushrooms. i had the blog up so wasn’t a problem, but just for future printers out there….

thanks for your daily inspiration and a place that has helped me renovate my eating over the past year!

Hannah November 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I am making this soup as we speak as it looked so delicious :)

Desi November 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I made the soup and the garlic bread yesterday for myself and my sick fiancée- not only did it make a nourishing, quick and delicious dinner, but it also made an excellent lunch. :) Thanks!

VeggieGirl November 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Oooh yum! I’ve been making your pumpkin mac and cheese sauce and putting it on everything, including quiona and veggies- it really dresses up healthy boiled veggies into something delish! I hadnt thought of nutritional yeast as being ‘cheesy’ before, but after that recipe its been my cheese substitute in lots of dishes!

Shelley November 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Making this for dinner tonight – sounds delicious! I think there’s a step missing in the directions though – at what step do you add the mushrooms??!

debra ford November 2, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I made this soup this evening and loved it! Even my 16yr stepson who usually lives on pizza liked it and ate it. My husband loved it too. Enough left over for tomorrow-yeah! Will make the Maple Pumpkin Baked Beans friday night, but will use GF bisquick instead of cornbread as I can’t eat corn. I am so excited by your blog-have changed to 90% vegan after reading your blog-cooking alot more and want to be healthy. Thanks so much!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 3, 2011 at 12:11 am

That soup looks super comforting – and I LOVE mushrooms, and think that there are not enough soups out there with mushrooms in them.

I cannot believe that no one came to your door – that is insane!

Lungs November 3, 2011 at 6:58 am

I made this last night with quinoa to pack up for lunches – a few tastes confirmed that it will be a delicious and wonderful lunch! (Not surprising; your recipes consisently deliver.)

I did notice a couple of ‘quirks’ of the printable recipe, though: there is an unecessary oven pre-heating step and you’ve omitted mentioning adding the mushrooms.

Jody November 3, 2011 at 8:02 am

Hey Angela,

Well, this soup looks amazing and I was thinking about trying it with cauliflower “rice” instead of the Millet ..thoughts? I really am looking forward to trying this, and I think it could be an awesome Thanksgiving Dinner appetizer~ really enjoy your recipes and blogs…have a great day :)

Barbara dePater November 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I have tried many of your recipes as I am very passionate about healthy eating. I also happen to work for a company that shells flax. I thought as a thank you I would like to provide you with a package of our delicious flax which you don’t need to grind and you don’t have to keep it in the fridge! It is also 100% Canadian. :)
Best Regards and keep up the good work,
Barbara
P.S The soup looks delicious, I will make it tonight

TeenyLittleSuperChef November 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

First off, love the costume. You definitely make a hot Queen of Hearts. Bummer that no kids came to your house. It seems like fewer and fewer come to our door each year too. What the heck? At least you got to look cute with each other while you had dinner. And man oh man, does that soup look yummy. And so simple too. I just aquired a whole pound of chantrelle mushrooms. Do you think they would work in this soup too, or would cremini be the best? I never know what to do with chantrelles. Any suggestions?

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I did half and half with chantrelles and crimini. Works great! I do a cream of chantrelle soup with cashew cream, and a variety of cheezy chantrelle sauces (almond milk, nutritional yeast and a bit of spelt flour to thicken it).

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Made it. Eating it. Truly enjoying it. This is fab soup!

Leslie November 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Great recipe! I just made it and used have shiitake and half crimini mushrooms. I also subbed in wild/brown rice mix instead of millet because I already had it cooked. Didn’t have any worcestershire so I used a combo of vinegar, braggs, tamarind and cayenne. I think I will make this as an app for Thanksgiving this year. I always try to bring a hearty app for myself self since there probably won’t be too many food friendly choices for me :)

Casi Leigh November 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Omg, trying this as we speak and just had to tell you that it is, in fact, divine. Wouldn’t expect anything else from you though, dear! :)

Also, as a note, we did not have any worcestershire sauce in the house so I used your above substitution of soy sauce and also added about two teaspoons of vegan liquid smoke seasoning. Worked like a charm.

P.S. Please tell me you took the opportunity at regular intervals to shout, “Off with his head!” Such an awesome costume!!

Sara November 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm

when do you add the mushrooms??

Sara November 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm

uh oh, now i see. on the printable directions the mushroom step is eliminated. i have the mushrooms going with the broth. i hope it turns out ok!

Karen November 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I’m having this soup as I type this! Yumm is right, I made mine with quinoa. It was quick too, thanks for the recipe. :)

Bethany November 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

We love this soup! Have you tried freezing it? I love keeping soup in the freezer for easy lunches and was wondering if this one would work okay. Thanks!

Natasha Kay November 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm

FYI the mushrooms are missing from the recipe instructions!

Making it now!! Looks yummy! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

whoops added it in!

sal November 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Made this for dinner tonight – it came together quickly and tasted delicious! Perfect soup for fall. I added some chickpeas and kale, and sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top (because, doesn’t that make everything taste better?). Thanks for the recipe!

Kacie November 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Made the soup tonight for dinner.. I used a mixture of quinoa and millet since I only had a little millet left. It’s delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Nikita November 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

Angela, I just want you to know that you are one of the biggest influences on the weekly meal plans I put together! Recently a friend asked for some healthy dinner ideas and I referred her to your site :)
Anyhow, recent successes have been both the butternut and pumpkin mac-n-“cheese” and this soup. Both husband approved, which is seriously an accomplishment for vegan food! I wanted to note that I added about half a cup of white beans to the soup that I pureed and it was a great way to add some richness and protein without adding a lot of fat. I got the idea from your protein mashed potatoes, which I converted to a high protein potato soup.
Thanks for all you do, you are appreciated!

Nicole November 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I’m in the process of making this right now and just wanted to let you know that the mushrooms are still missing from the printable version of the instructions. Thanks for the recipe – your blog is always a go-to for delicious healthy dishes!

Colleen Green November 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Honestly, I cannot thank you enough for your website! A friend turned me on to it and I have made about 7 things in the last two weeks and have LOVED each of them! I’m trying so hard to eat healthy and still tasty, and practicing recipes while my husband is deployed so that I have several yummy (and healthy) meals for when he returns. Your website is making that very fun for me!! My most recent: Mushroom Millet Soup – delicious!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Thank you Colleen!

Shannon November 19, 2011 at 11:09 pm

So delicious! I had meant to make this sooner, but finally got home where my family is happy to buy ingredients in exchange for a meal :) Oddly enough, I added a splash of balsamic vinegar to the soup at the end and it was the perfect flavor addition to the mushrooms! Keep posting, I love your recipes!

staci November 20, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Just made this! Fantastic!! It was just what we needed to start off Thanksgiving week with something healthy. Thanks!

Megan December 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Just made this for a vegan friend who has a new baby! Yummy!

Gracielou September 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Hey missy! I know this is an old post but I hope you check it…

I was wondering what kind of herbs you had in your soup, it looks a bit like parsley or cilantro or something. Just outta curiosity…

Also, I have been following you since like January I think? I love your site, I think you’re an amazing person. I love that you make pretty much everything from scratch, because it seems hard to find sites that have people that do that, in the vegan sense that is. :) I have so many weird allergies, it really helps to have sites that omit so many of them. I feel like I’m rambling, but I seriously think you’re amazing, thank you so much for being you! and having a blog!

much love from oregon,
Gracielou

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012 at 9:38 am

Thank you! :) Im so glad to hear that.
I think if I remember correctly I used parsley :)

Shannon December 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Angela, I made this soup last week for my boyfriend and we both LOVED it! I used quinoa instead of millet (just because I had it in the cupboard), but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly and it came out perfectly – earthy & delicious. It was almost better on the second day. This is the second soup of yours that I have fallen in love with – (also a huge fan of your Holiday Soup for the Soul!) – your recipes are very precise and reliable – thanks! And PS to all Toronto shoppers, you can find Wizard Worchesteshire sauce at Fiesta Farms! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thank you Shannon! Im so happy to hear this :)

Margaret January 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

Wanted to let you know that I made this soup the other night for a potluck and it was a huge hit! I used Braggs Aminos instead of Worchesteshire sauce, since it had that around. I added in a tablespoon or so of dried Rosemary. I thought the rosemary went really well with the mushrooms, it was amazing! A great way to use millet and ideal for my friend who is gluten-free. :)

Melissa February 13, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was DEEEElicious!!!! Can’t wait to eat more tomorrow. Thanks for all your great recipes….. I’ve made lots of them and am totally hooked on multiple things from your site!!!!

Desiree March 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hey Angela, after trying this soup last night I felt it NECESSARY to share this with you! I FREAKIN’ LOVE your blog!! (oops sorry I got really excited). My hubby and me have made the decision to transition our family to vegan foods and while there are many good sites with great recipes YOU have been my MAINSTAY go to! EVERYTHING I’ve tried here has been well received and even my man…*who has an appreciation for animal* lol and family, he has NEVER missed meat when I’ve prepared your meals. You have made this transistion so much easier and TASTIER.I practically live on your Green Monster (banana free) Smoothie, and found out how to cook millet (rather than serving raw millet meatballs to my family, who were gracious enough to eat them and asked that I NEVER make those again, because as my hubby told me “we are not canary’s” HA!) I didn’t want to fall into the tofu-trap and you have helped me stay pretty clear of it to date. Its also nice cuz you’re local, we’re in Brampton and so it feels like I have a vegan friend on the web who lives in the same province at least. After every meal my husband says to me: “you should become friends with this girl so she can teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about being vegan…I mean she’s practically our neighbour” ANYway…all that to say, huge thank you and honestly, if the world we live in wasn’t such a weird one…we could probably for real, be friends but I am quite happy to have your blog as my buddy for now! LOL warm virtual hugs and thanks from this newbie-vegan

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hi Desiree! Oh my gosh, you are so sweet! Thank you for your lovely words. :) Seriously made my day. I would love to meet you – do you mind if I put you on our meet up email list? Maybe you can make it out to the next one (which in all likelihood won’t be until the summer when things die down on my end) I hope you keep enjoying the recipes and thank you for trying them! All my best, Angela

Trish September 17, 2013 at 11:47 am

This is a wonderful soup! Thank you so much for posting it. I made this 2 days ago and am going to make more today. My husband also loved this soup. I enjoy your web site and often find recipes that I like. And the photos are so good too. I do enjoy them as well. Thanks again.

Finkstein January 23, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I’ve just made this! It is ace, really delicious! I didn’t have any worcester sauce, nor did I add a soup cube; instead I added hyssop and a herby salt plus himalayan salt to taste (and black pepper). Bloody marvellous!!! :D

Shawn February 14, 2014 at 12:25 am

I’ve made this soup twice already and wow! Love this stuff. It last about two days and I’m left longing for another batch. Thanks for the great recipe.

Hillary June 1, 2015 at 10:15 am

I made this last night but it turned out to be a bit bland :/ was surprised sinc ei used a mushroom broth as well.

what herbs did you add? Does it freeze well? I have a TON of it now, but dont think I can eat it alllll week lol (the joys of cooking for one)