The Workout Log Challenge

running thumb   The Workout Log Challenge

[source]

Brrrr…it’s cold out there today!

IMG 3981 thumb   The Workout Log Challenge

This is the time of the year when I really start to notice the waning daylight hours and struggle with motivation when it comes to workouts. The early mornings are no longer bright and sunny, but dark, chilly, and uninviting. I’ve always preferred to workout in the morning, but lately I’ve found it difficult to stick to a consistent schedule and my workouts are all over the place.

I decided to do a few things that will help me get excited about exercise again:

1) I created a workout schedule to help with commitment

2) I created a daily workout log for inspiration & commitment

3) For support, that’s where you can join in if you’d like!

IMG 7278 thumb   The Workout Log Challenge

My plan looks a lot like what I have been doing since the summer, only this time I’ve planned out specific activities for each day. Structure can be a good way to set commitment in motion!

I’m also going to workout first thing in the morning whenever possible. It’s pretty hard to feel the Winter blahs when I have endorphins surging through my body, setting the tone for the entire day. I always feel my best when I work out first thing in the morning.

IMG 5612 thumb   The Workout Log Challenge

The plan:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Spin class Treadmill hill workout, 45 mins. + Whittle my Middle  Body Pump weight class, 15 mins cardio warm up OFF- active rest (light walking/yoga) Moksha hot yoga Anything goes- outdoor run, treadmill, spin/pump, or
workout DVD
OFF

Of course, like every plan, this one is subject to change based on other life factors that come into play. If I’m sick or injured, obviously I won’t be working out. Generally, I like to have 1 active rest day, 1 complete rest day, and 5 days of regular, challenging workouts. It’s a nice balance for my body. I encourage you to create a plan that works for you. This is definitely not a one size fits all approach!

Here’s the kicker: I’m going to journal my workouts to keep myself accountable.

After every workout, I’ll write about several things:

• How much sleep I got
  • My mood before, during, after exercise
  • Exercise struggles (for example, were triceps extra hard today? Did my quads shed tears on the bike?)
  • Exercise progress (did I rock a hill set in spin class or new yoga pose?)
  • How I felt the rest of the day (sore, happy, tired, energetic, proud, hungry, etc)
  • Any notes on workout wear that worked well or didn’t for the particular activity
  • Other random musings

See attached PDF to print your own workout log!

My plan is to share some workout logs on the blog and give a recap of how things are going. Many of you have been asking me to bring back my fitness posts, so I hope you will enjoy this! I think it will be interesting to look back on the week at a glance and read over how each day was uniquely challenging.

And if you’d like to log your own workouts, or even make your own personal Fall fitness challenge, that would be great too! My challenge to those of you who are interested is to make a workout plan for yourself and log your experience after each workout. Read it over at the end of the week and make note of what worked and what needs improvement.

This workout log is a great way to stay motivated even when the weather outside makes us want to throw in the towel and cover our head with blankets.

Here’s to making the last couple months of the year filled with movement!

Molly@ This Life Is Sparkling October 28, 2011

Love this! Such a good idea for the winter months:)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 28, 2011

i love this idea! i’ve slipped off the workout bandwagon as the weather’s gotten colder and this is the perfect idea to keep me accountable. besides, i do MUCH better (with anything!) when i have a plan.

Stephanie October 28, 2011

Workout logs are definitely the way to go. I schedule my workouts on my Google Calendar, and I post all workouts on my DailyMile account. My friends on DailyMile keep me accountable and are so encouraging.

Carmel October 28, 2011

this is perfect! My husband and I started working out again but we’re still spotty getting it in…. this is going to make the difference!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2011

I totally do the same thing and plan and track all my workouts. I think I have two exercise trackers I use, one of the computer and one that I write out. It definitely helps to keep my accountable and I like looking back on everything. I think it really helps me stick with a workout routine. I like 5 gym workouts plus 3 yoga workouts a week so finding time to fit everything in is sometimes hard.

Amanda October 28, 2011

Your timing for this challenge is impeccable! I have also been having a tough time getting my butt out of bed in the mornings, especially after bringing out my fluffy down comforter.

Can’t wait to follow along with you! Thanks for attaching the pdf, too! :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 28, 2011

I find it so helpful to see other people’s workout routines! So thanks for sharing :)

I’m a big believer in planning – having a definite routine keeps me consistent.

Kinley October 28, 2011

What a GREAT idea! I have a race I am training for in January and I know motivation to run is going to be lacking… this might be just what I needed to make it through my snowy/treadmill runs without slacking!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2011

Great idea Ange! I find that it’s harder for me to get up for my really early morning workouts when it’s freezing cold outside too, but like you said, journalling definitely helps. I’ve been tracking my activity for the last 2 months-ish now and it certainly helps me to stick with it and keep changing things up. Glad you’re getting back into Moksha!! I’m thinking of doing one of the community classes this weekend because my bod is screaming for it! Have a great day!

katie@ KatieDid October 28, 2011

I don’t currently log anything but I’d love to get into it. I’ve been lifting for several months now and have definetely gained strength, but I don’t know how much I was lifting when I started or how many sets/ reps. It’s such a good tool to look back on and see how far you’ve progressed!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 28, 2011

That looks very similar to what I do! I’m amazed at how accountable it holds me. I also have a spreadsheet for meals – this has reduced the amount of food I waste by keeping me on track with the meals I buy ingredients for.

morgan October 28, 2011

such a great idea!
love your adrenalines; they’re our best selling shoe
(i work at a specialty running store)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011

Thanks!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 28, 2011

i keep my own personal log in a notebook and its fun looking back to see what i’ve done over years (yes years!) and how things have changed. when i feel like i’m in a rut or not seeing results, i look back to see what i did to help change things up. working out first thing in the morning is my favorite, and i’ve been doing it for so long that its strange when i actually don’t do it. love quiet mornings to myself, and it definitely sets the tone for the day :)

Katie October 28, 2011

I’m super excited about this! I’ve been struggling this week to get motivated now that it’s officially cold. Thank you so much for the inspiration, looking forward to the results :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 28, 2011

Some people think I’m crazy but I keep a detailed excel spreadsheet of my workouts and I think it’s a huge motivator! I hate the shorter days too, it’s hard to get out of bed when it’s dark and I feel rushed on the other end to fit everything in before 6pm when it gets dark again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011

I know, right? It seems like there is half a day to fit in a whole day’s work!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 28, 2011

What a great idea, Angela! I too am struggling with the waning daylight hours. Do you have a link to the treadmill hill workout, or can you describe what that is? I have such a hard time transitioning to the treadmill over the winter months and something new would be fantastic to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011

I’ve been doing treadmill hill workouts for a looooong time. Probably since 2005/2006? So mine are pretty hard, but this is generally what I do:

5 min warm up
5 mins @ speed 4.2 and incline 13% (brisk walk)
5 mins @ speed 6.0 and incline 5% (running)
repeat until I hit the 40 min mark
5 min cool down

If you are just starting out with hill walking, I suggest doing a lower incline and sticking to walking until you build up your base. The great thing about it is that you can control how difficult it is and set it to your own level. :)

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash October 28, 2011

What perfect timing! I’ve been seriously lacking in workout motivation lately and it doesn’t help that it is getting colder here in Ottawa (-2 this morning! eek!). I know scheduling workouts and keeping a journal will help – just need to get into the habit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011

It was -2 here this morning too! Eek!

Cait's Plate October 28, 2011

LOVE this!! :)

Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 28, 2011

Thank you! I love this. I absolutely thrive on structure & planning (even if I don’t always stick to my plans) Is this something that you’d like your readers to be actively involved in (ie- with check ins) or is it simply an individual thing? On a semi-related note- I wish Moksha would make it to Boston. We have Bikram classes everywhere, but I want to try something new. Do you know how they differ?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011
Bronwyn October 28, 2011

I’ve recently started doing the same thing. :) It’s so motivating to look at total weekly mileage, or see how many times you went to the gym in a given week. Very motivating.

MelIssa October 28, 2011

I love this! I always seem to have more sporadic workouts during these awful winter months, so this will be great… Thanks for the inspiration!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 28, 2011

I love the log and the details you can jot down from sleep to mood to random musings…looking back on things at a later date, having that kind of info would be great.

Happy Halloween Weekend! :)

Natalcho October 28, 2011

I have an excel sheet where I track everything but I had not posted it on my blog. I will do so tonight to keep myself extra accountable during the winter.

Julia October 28, 2011

What a coincident! I just set up a training plan/log for fall/winter earlier this week to keep myself on track in the colder months. :)
For me, it’s really helpful to have plan and log to keep me commited and to find a good workout balance throughout the week.

I also started a food log. I hope this helps me with the transition from my half marathon training (ran the half 2 weeks ago) to a “normal” workout routine while not gaining weight. I had not been watching my calorie intake that closely during half marathon training. With the food log, I want to make sure that I’m really aware of what I’m eating all day long.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 28, 2011

YES! Work out schedules are the absolute best! Unfortunately I’ve been sick all week and haven’t worked out since Sunday. It’s really starting to get me down :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011

Sorry to hear you are sick Amy, but that is great that you are giving your body the rest it needs! I know it’s difficult but you will get healthy quicker!

Caitlyn October 28, 2011

I used to keep a workout log but haven’t been logging anything recently. With the colder weather coming, this is just what i need to stay on track and motivated!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 28, 2011

What a cool idea! I like it :)

Christina October 28, 2011

Sounds like a plan! I need to do something also because this week has been tough. I only worked out once and my body is just achy and I’m seriously fatigued. No bueno! Tomorrow I plan to hit the gym and hopefully have time for a bikram class on Sunday.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes October 28, 2011

Love this idea! Perfect for me. Thanks!

VeggieGirl October 28, 2011

Great idea! It is MUCH harder to get workouts in when it is so dark! I’ve dropped from four to three times a week recently and I know that isn’t good!

Sara October 28, 2011

Sounds like a great plan. I’m already irritated by working out in the cold in California but that’s nothing compared to Canada! Better start making those oats HOT now :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 28, 2011

rock on! I’m such a planner! This sounds spectacular!

Jess October 28, 2011

Join DailyMile! It’s the best – my online community of friends is really motivating and supportive!

Ally October 28, 2011

Great idea, Angela! Thanks for charting out your plan. The pdf is really handy, I agree! In fact, I’ve had a similar idea – this winter weight gain definitely has to stop. Would you mind having a look at the challenge me and my friends will be doing? The more people join, the easier it’ll be to stick to it!! Of course, you and all the wonderful readers of your blog are welcome to join us :)

Rebekah October 28, 2011

THis is exactly what I needed this week! THank you so much.. this post has reinfused my motivation for these cold months!

Lynn October 28, 2011

Great idea! I printed one out for my husband too! We both need the motivation, especially now that the weather is getting worse and more of our workouts are confined to the home or gym.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 28, 2011

This looks great! I am the same way – I have a harder time feeling motivated and getting my workouts in during the winter. I think this is a wonderful idea!

Shelley @ MileHighHealthy October 28, 2011

Love this idea!! Schedules and journaling work well for me. My (possibly) last race for the season is Nov 5 and I am ready to focus a little less on running and more on incorporating all types of workouts into my fitness regimen. Plus, I live in Colorado and it’s starting to get too dark/cold to run in the morning and I don’t want to put in 30 miles per week on a treadmill, that just sounds terrible!! I hope to include more yoga, pilates, strength training and step classes into my workouts over the winter. Variety beets boredom any day! Looks like I need to get to work on my workout schedule soon, thanks for the inspiration.

Alix October 28, 2011

Very inspirational! I did my first 10k the other week and had a blast, and that motivated me to maybe start running again. I do vinyasa yoga 4-5 days a week and I worry that running or lifting will shorten my muscles and tighten my joints; not good for yoga. But I’d also like to start doing more cardio… decisions, decisions. (and first-world problems).

Jenny October 28, 2011

I guess it’s not just me having trouble working out in the a.m.
I’ve been getting migraines everytime after I run in the mornings lately, but not at night!
I used to hate leaveing workouts until the p.m. but I’m starting to get used to it!

Page 1 of 3123»