The Workout Log Challenge

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 28, 2011

running

[source]

Brrrr…it’s cold out there today!

IMG_3981

This is the time of the year when I really start to notice the waning daylight hours and struggle with motivation when it comes to workouts. The early mornings are no longer bright and sunny, but dark, chilly, and uninviting. I’ve always preferred to workout in the morning, but lately I’ve found it difficult to stick to a consistent schedule and my workouts are all over the place.

I decided to do a few things that will help me get excited about exercise again:

1) I created a workout schedule to help with commitment

2) I created a daily workout log for inspiration & commitment

3) For support, that’s where you can join in if you’d like!

IMG_7278

My plan looks a lot like what I have been doing since the summer, only this time I’ve planned out specific activities for each day. Structure can be a good way to set commitment in motion!

I’m also going to workout first thing in the morning whenever possible. It’s pretty hard to feel the Winter blahs when I have endorphins surging through my body, setting the tone for the entire day. I always feel my best when I work out first thing in the morning.

IMG_5612

The plan:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Spin class Treadmill hill workout, 45 mins. + Whittle my Middle  Body Pump weight class, 15 mins cardio warm up OFF- active rest (light walking/yoga) Moksha hot yoga Anything goes- outdoor run, treadmill, spin/pump, or
workout DVD
OFF

Of course, like every plan, this one is subject to change based on other life factors that come into play. If I’m sick or injured, obviously I won’t be working out. Generally, I like to have 1 active rest day, 1 complete rest day, and 5 days of regular, challenging workouts. It’s a nice balance for my body. I encourage you to create a plan that works for you. This is definitely not a one size fits all approach!

Here’s the kicker: I’m going to journal my workouts to keep myself accountable.

After every workout, I’ll write about several things:

• How much sleep I got
  • My mood before, during, after exercise
  • Exercise struggles (for example, were triceps extra hard today? Did my quads shed tears on the bike?)
  • Exercise progress (did I rock a hill set in spin class or new yoga pose?)
  • How I felt the rest of the day (sore, happy, tired, energetic, proud, hungry, etc)
  • Any notes on workout wear that worked well or didn’t for the particular activity
  • Other random musings

See attached PDF to print your own workout log!

My plan is to share some workout logs on the blog and give a recap of how things are going. Many of you have been asking me to bring back my fitness posts, so I hope you will enjoy this! I think it will be interesting to look back on the week at a glance and read over how each day was uniquely challenging.

And if you’d like to log your own workouts, or even make your own personal Fall fitness challenge, that would be great too! My challenge to those of you who are interested is to make a workout plan for yourself and log your experience after each workout. Read it over at the end of the week and make note of what worked and what needs improvement.

This workout log is a great way to stay motivated even when the weather outside makes us want to throw in the towel and cover our head with blankets.

Here’s to making the last couple months of the year filled with movement!

[email protected] This Life Is Sparkling October 28, 2011 at 8:37 am

Love this! Such a good idea for the winter months:)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 28, 2011 at 8:38 am

i love this idea! i’ve slipped off the workout bandwagon as the weather’s gotten colder and this is the perfect idea to keep me accountable. besides, i do MUCH better (with anything!) when i have a plan.

Stephanie October 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

Workout logs are definitely the way to go. I schedule my workouts on my Google Calendar, and I post all workouts on my DailyMile account. My friends on DailyMile keep me accountable and are so encouraging.

Carmel October 28, 2011 at 8:41 am

this is perfect! My husband and I started working out again but we’re still spotty getting it in…. this is going to make the difference!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

I totally do the same thing and plan and track all my workouts. I think I have two exercise trackers I use, one of the computer and one that I write out. It definitely helps to keep my accountable and I like looking back on everything. I think it really helps me stick with a workout routine. I like 5 gym workouts plus 3 yoga workouts a week so finding time to fit everything in is sometimes hard.

Amanda October 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

Your timing for this challenge is impeccable! I have also been having a tough time getting my butt out of bed in the mornings, especially after bringing out my fluffy down comforter.

Can’t wait to follow along with you! Thanks for attaching the pdf, too! :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 28, 2011 at 8:45 am

I find it so helpful to see other people’s workout routines! So thanks for sharing :)

I’m a big believer in planning – having a definite routine keeps me consistent.

Kinley October 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

What a GREAT idea! I have a race I am training for in January and I know motivation to run is going to be lacking… this might be just what I needed to make it through my snowy/treadmill runs without slacking!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

Great idea Ange! I find that it’s harder for me to get up for my really early morning workouts when it’s freezing cold outside too, but like you said, journalling definitely helps. I’ve been tracking my activity for the last 2 months-ish now and it certainly helps me to stick with it and keep changing things up. Glad you’re getting back into Moksha!! I’m thinking of doing one of the community classes this weekend because my bod is screaming for it! Have a great day!

[email protected] KatieDid October 28, 2011 at 8:47 am

I don’t currently log anything but I’d love to get into it. I’ve been lifting for several months now and have definetely gained strength, but I don’t know how much I was lifting when I started or how many sets/ reps. It’s such a good tool to look back on and see how far you’ve progressed!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 28, 2011 at 8:48 am

That looks very similar to what I do! I’m amazed at how accountable it holds me. I also have a spreadsheet for meals – this has reduced the amount of food I waste by keeping me on track with the meals I buy ingredients for.

morgan October 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

such a great idea!
love your adrenalines; they’re our best selling shoe
(i work at a specialty running store)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 9:50 am

Thanks!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 28, 2011 at 8:50 am

i keep my own personal log in a notebook and its fun looking back to see what i’ve done over years (yes years!) and how things have changed. when i feel like i’m in a rut or not seeing results, i look back to see what i did to help change things up. working out first thing in the morning is my favorite, and i’ve been doing it for so long that its strange when i actually don’t do it. love quiet mornings to myself, and it definitely sets the tone for the day :)

Katie October 28, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’m super excited about this! I’ve been struggling this week to get motivated now that it’s officially cold. Thank you so much for the inspiration, looking forward to the results :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 28, 2011 at 9:03 am

Some people think I’m crazy but I keep a detailed excel spreadsheet of my workouts and I think it’s a huge motivator! I hate the shorter days too, it’s hard to get out of bed when it’s dark and I feel rushed on the other end to fit everything in before 6pm when it gets dark again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

I know, right? It seems like there is half a day to fit in a whole day’s work!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 28, 2011 at 9:03 am

What a great idea, Angela! I too am struggling with the waning daylight hours. Do you have a link to the treadmill hill workout, or can you describe what that is? I have such a hard time transitioning to the treadmill over the winter months and something new would be fantastic to try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’ve been doing treadmill hill workouts for a looooong time. Probably since 2005/2006? So mine are pretty hard, but this is generally what I do:

5 min warm up
5 mins @ speed 4.2 and incline 13% (brisk walk)
5 mins @ speed 6.0 and incline 5% (running)
repeat until I hit the 40 min mark
5 min cool down

If you are just starting out with hill walking, I suggest doing a lower incline and sticking to walking until you build up your base. The great thing about it is that you can control how difficult it is and set it to your own level. :)

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash October 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

What perfect timing! I’ve been seriously lacking in workout motivation lately and it doesn’t help that it is getting colder here in Ottawa (-2 this morning! eek!). I know scheduling workouts and keeping a journal will help – just need to get into the habit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

It was -2 here this morning too! Eek!

Cait's Plate October 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

LOVE this!! :)

Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 28, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thank you! I love this. I absolutely thrive on structure & planning (even if I don’t always stick to my plans) Is this something that you’d like your readers to be actively involved in (ie- with check ins) or is it simply an individual thing? On a semi-related note- I wish Moksha would make it to Boston. We have Bikram classes everywhere, but I want to try something new. Do you know how they differ?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:23 am
Bronwyn October 28, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’ve recently started doing the same thing. :) It’s so motivating to look at total weekly mileage, or see how many times you went to the gym in a given week. Very motivating.

MelIssa October 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

I love this! I always seem to have more sporadic workouts during these awful winter months, so this will be great… Thanks for the inspiration!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 28, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love the log and the details you can jot down from sleep to mood to random musings…looking back on things at a later date, having that kind of info would be great.

Happy Halloween Weekend! :)

Natalcho October 28, 2011 at 9:19 am

I have an excel sheet where I track everything but I had not posted it on my blog. I will do so tonight to keep myself extra accountable during the winter.

Julia October 28, 2011 at 9:19 am

What a coincident! I just set up a training plan/log for fall/winter earlier this week to keep myself on track in the colder months. :)
For me, it’s really helpful to have plan and log to keep me commited and to find a good workout balance throughout the week.

I also started a food log. I hope this helps me with the transition from my half marathon training (ran the half 2 weeks ago) to a “normal” workout routine while not gaining weight. I had not been watching my calorie intake that closely during half marathon training. With the food log, I want to make sure that I’m really aware of what I’m eating all day long.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

YES! Work out schedules are the absolute best! Unfortunately I’ve been sick all week and haven’t worked out since Sunday. It’s really starting to get me down :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sorry to hear you are sick Amy, but that is great that you are giving your body the rest it needs! I know it’s difficult but you will get healthy quicker!

Caitlyn October 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

I used to keep a workout log but haven’t been logging anything recently. With the colder weather coming, this is just what i need to stay on track and motivated!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

What a cool idea! I like it :)

Christina October 28, 2011 at 9:32 am

Sounds like a plan! I need to do something also because this week has been tough. I only worked out once and my body is just achy and I’m seriously fatigued. No bueno! Tomorrow I plan to hit the gym and hopefully have time for a bikram class on Sunday.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes October 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

Love this idea! Perfect for me. Thanks!

VeggieGirl October 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

Great idea! It is MUCH harder to get workouts in when it is so dark! I’ve dropped from four to three times a week recently and I know that isn’t good!

Sara October 28, 2011 at 9:51 am

Sounds like a great plan. I’m already irritated by working out in the cold in California but that’s nothing compared to Canada! Better start making those oats HOT now :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 28, 2011 at 9:58 am

rock on! I’m such a planner! This sounds spectacular!

Jess October 28, 2011 at 10:01 am

Join DailyMile! It’s the best – my online community of friends is really motivating and supportive!

Ally October 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

Great idea, Angela! Thanks for charting out your plan. The pdf is really handy, I agree! In fact, I’ve had a similar idea – this winter weight gain definitely has to stop. Would you mind having a look at the challenge me and my friends will be doing? The more people join, the easier it’ll be to stick to it!! Of course, you and all the wonderful readers of your blog are welcome to join us :)

Rebekah October 28, 2011 at 10:07 am

THis is exactly what I needed this week! THank you so much.. this post has reinfused my motivation for these cold months!

Lynn October 28, 2011 at 10:11 am

Great idea! I printed one out for my husband too! We both need the motivation, especially now that the weather is getting worse and more of our workouts are confined to the home or gym.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

This looks great! I am the same way – I have a harder time feeling motivated and getting my workouts in during the winter. I think this is a wonderful idea!

Shelley @ MileHighHealthy October 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

Love this idea!! Schedules and journaling work well for me. My (possibly) last race for the season is Nov 5 and I am ready to focus a little less on running and more on incorporating all types of workouts into my fitness regimen. Plus, I live in Colorado and it’s starting to get too dark/cold to run in the morning and I don’t want to put in 30 miles per week on a treadmill, that just sounds terrible!! I hope to include more yoga, pilates, strength training and step classes into my workouts over the winter. Variety beets boredom any day! Looks like I need to get to work on my workout schedule soon, thanks for the inspiration.

Alix October 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

Very inspirational! I did my first 10k the other week and had a blast, and that motivated me to maybe start running again. I do vinyasa yoga 4-5 days a week and I worry that running or lifting will shorten my muscles and tighten my joints; not good for yoga. But I’d also like to start doing more cardio… decisions, decisions. (and first-world problems).

Jenny October 28, 2011 at 10:33 am

I guess it’s not just me having trouble working out in the a.m.
I’ve been getting migraines everytime after I run in the mornings lately, but not at night!
I used to hate leaveing workouts until the p.m. but I’m starting to get used to it!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Your workout plan sounds great! Lots of great stretching and good cardio. :) I need more yoga in my life.

Shady October 28, 2011 at 11:07 am

I’m so jealous of your workout plan. After about 6 months of chronic heel pain, I finally saw my doc and was told I have plantar faciatis (and a broken toe but that’s a different story). Treatment includes as little walking as possible, no running and icing every 2-3 hours. And the worst part, according to the doc I’m looking at 6-8 weeks for complete recovery. The weather looks beautiful and perfect for running and instead I did some mat pilates figuring it was better than nothing. But it just isn’t the same :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:13 am

I’m sorry to hear that you are injured! I had to take a 2 month hiatus from an injury in 2009 and it was really difficult. The time did go by so much quicker than I thought it would though. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Ingrid October 28, 2011 at 11:11 am

I am so excited about this! I’m going to link this page to my blog when I post today’s workout! You are such an inspiration to me, and I have been using your recipes for awhile. Now, I can add “workout log” to the list! Much love to you, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Thank you Ingrid!

Katrina October 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

This is great! I keep a log myself. Love this!

Moni'sMeals October 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

this is so great Angela. I admire your organization skills!

I personally just go for it when it comes to wroking out, I never plan but I am also a trainer and have it all up in my brain what I want to do. :)
I think this is a great set-up for many others. :) Nothing wrong with having it all planned out and I love the questions that you plan on asking yourself. Great start to any workout.

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats October 28, 2011 at 11:23 am

I really enjoy keeping my workout log! It helps me stay on track and keeps me motivated!

Erica @ Cupcakes and Coffee Breaks October 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

Love this idea! It’s not that cold here in Vancouver, but I’m definitely needing some more motivation. Although, as a snow lover, I can’t say I’m not jealous of your frosty morning workouts. I love when I can see my breath!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

I just did a post on workouts recently, too! I’m an indoor girl, though, because I don’t like the cold :P

I love your idea of journaling your workouts! A great way to see patterns & make workouts more effective

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 28, 2011 at 11:38 am

such a solid schedule! i need to get my butt in gear. any motivational tips?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

Something I do lately is I put my workout clothes on before bed so I wake up in them (I do this if im doing a 6am workout!)…it seems to work.

Amber K October 28, 2011 at 11:48 am

I wish I had Body Pump near me. I keep hearing how awesome it is (well I guess technically reading), but none of the gyms near me offer it. Or classes at decent times in general… Frustrating!

Jill in Chicago October 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

This is very inspiring. I was just thinking last night on how I should do some sort of ‘Couch to 5K’ plan. This journal will help! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:14 am

I’ve heard great things about Couch to 5k….good luck!!

Valerie October 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Love it.

Lea October 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

HI Angela,
I am a former Bikram devotee (still love it but haven’t gone in a while) and am curious about your experience with Moksha Yoga (We have a couple of studios in the Vancouver area). So one day, if you feel so inclined to share on your blog…..

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:15 am

Hey Lea, I have written a couple posts on my experience. :) You can find them here:

Lisa Fine October 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love journaling about my workouts! Ever since I got more serious about running, I started using Daily Mile and RunKeeper to track my mileage and how I felt. It’s so helpful to have a log to look back on.

You always seem so organized! Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:16 am

I’m really one of the most unorganized people….haha! Got you fooled ;)

I’ve heard great things about Daily Mile!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I think this is a great workout plan! Next time I do a fitness post I will for sure link up to this one so people can use your advice and tools (love the PDF).

Honestly, I am quite similar in how I plan out my workouts – I have three really active, sweaty yoga classes a week (usually one hot and two flow, because flow is more challenging to me, but it might switch as winter gets colder!), then usually one focused yoga class like Pilates which is more core and leg work, and then two days in the gym – one doing a weight circuit and one doing a cardio workout. Then one complete rest day (though I might sometimes do a yin yoga/stretchy class on that day).

It’s great to keep it varied – though I do find I’m quite seasonal in a lot of things; my diet, my exercise, it tends to change with the seasons. But this is a plan I hope to stick to and stay accountable to, and we’re all here cheering you on as you stay accountable to yours! Remember, if you think you can’t do it, that’s just your mind talking! Your body can do anything ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:16 am

That sounds like a great mix of exercises too! I love variety :)

Olya October 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Great plan! And please do bring back the fitness posts!

noni October 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

SO glad to hear about your workouts again; i’m def gonna use both of these ideas because the cold weather and dark morning/evenings have really made it basically torture to work-out before or after work. BUT, i love a good plan–so having a set work-out schedule will (hopefully) motivate me!

Lauren October 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I definitely utilize a workout schedule. I typically draft one on Sundays when I’m planning out what I have to do each week in my lab. I like to use MapMyRun (it’s free) to log all of my workouts. My gym also has a “sticker program” where we can put a sticker for each workout (to accrue free drinks, etc.) and I absolutely love putting stickers on my little piece of paper!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:17 am

Wow that sticker program is such a neat idea!

Lauren October 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

It’s like the slightly grown-up version of the star chart. I totally need one for home use too.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables October 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I love the idea of incorporating active rest days. I’ve never really thought about that! I know I need to take rest days, but sometimes I just really want to get in some exercise! I think yoga/walking is a great idea :)

Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Great plan! I find my schedule is so sporadic these days and there doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day. I am also dreading the time change next week. My exercise has fallen to the sidelines but I am happy to say my eating has been bang on – it’s always one or the other, time to get them both on the same team :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:17 am

eek, is the time change next week??? Nooooo!

I know what you mean about eating or exercise being ‘on’, that happens to me too!

Kat October 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Yahoo!! I’m glad about your new workout kick. I’m also re-committing to my fitness goals and can’t wait to read some more posts.

I’m keeping a log, but it’s pretty bare-bones. After I get back into the swing of regular cardio/weight training/stretching, then I’ll finesse the sleep/water/mood. For now, I just want to make sure I’m making the time to move :)

Andrea October 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

My favorite time to work out is in the morning too, but I always have trouble with breakfast. I like to eat breakfast first thing when I wake up. So I don’t feel like I should work out RIGHT after breakfast, but if I don’t, then I won’t have time to later because of school or work. What would you recommend?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:18 am

I usually have a banana before a workout and then a smoothie or vegan overnight oats after.

Andrea October 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

That’s a good idea, I’ll try it and see if it helps, thanks! :)

emma October 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

hey Angela, you mentioned you plan on working out first thing in the morning, do you usually eat something before you run/workout in the morning? and if you do eat something, what sort of light foods don’t mess too much with your stomach when you run, or how long do you wait after you eat to run? haha just wondering, because i usually just run right when i get out of bed, and sometimes that hinders my energy. thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:19 am

Hey Emma, I usually have a banana before a morning workout. :) Gives me a nice energy boost without weighing me down. I don’t have to wait long after…maybe 30 mins?

Jeanine October 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for bringing back a fitness post. I was starting to miss them!

Kelly October 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I also love working out in the morning. I workout at home because most gyms aren’t open when I need to workout. Anyway, I find that if I turn on the lights in the room it doesn’t bother me that it’s dark outside. In the winter months I end up going to work and coming home in the dark anyway so that little burst of light helps to get me started in a more cheery fashion. I like your log. I think it’s just as important to keep track of how you feel as it is how many calories you burn.

H J October 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Im Glad you’ve bought your fitness posts back – i become motivated by them :)

Karen October 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm

The journaling is a brilliant idea and one I may have to steal!

Emma (Emma+Jacob) October 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Great idea! I’m in! Glad you’re back to tracking your fitness progress. I also love working out in the morning – first thing when I wake up after a glass of water. Keeps the whole day in focus :D Plus, more incentive for me to make breakfast the most nutritious and best tasting meal of the day!

Molly @ RDexposed October 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I should probably make a schedule for myself, too! Thanks for the kick in the behind!

[email protected] October 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Good plan for staying motivated! I love morning workouts, but I hate when snow ruins my plans. Shoveling at 5am is not my priority!

[email protected] Isn't Happy October 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I love this idea! These shorter days definitely make it more difficult to workout…I’m lacking the motivation I had in the summer!

Brooke October 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I have been waiting for a “workout” themed post for a long time (not that I don’t love all of the pumpkin and chocolate!! ;) ). This really does it.

Thanks, best-life-mentor-ever.

Jo October 28, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Great idea! I actually JUST started doing this 3 weeks ago. So far, laying out what I am going to do beforehand is keeping me on track!

Liz October 28, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I really like this idea – especially about reflecting on the factors that go into a workout. I might just do this along with you!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I completely agree! Winter workouts are TOUGH!!! But this looks like a great way to stay accountable! I use DailyMile to log my workouts!!! It works great!

Kiah October 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Widdle My Middle is the name of a class? That sounds uh-mazing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

It’s actually an ab challenge I made (I linked to it) :)

ana magdalena October 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm

thank you for this post, I could use some motivation!

Krysten October 29, 2011 at 12:06 am

i just wanna say thank you so much! cause on a rainy day- i can always click on your bookmark tab…..and end up on your page, with much needed inspiration, motivation, etc…. i really appreciate all you do- and all you dont know you do for others. thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:20 am

Thank you Krysten!

Sara October 29, 2011 at 12:21 am

Angela, I love LOVE your blog, but honestly, even as a person who works out 4-6x a week (and HARD! hard workouts) there is just no way, with a baby in my life, that I can do this. I’m already logging his sleep schedule, feeding schedule, moods, etc.
This kind of logging takes so much time. I don’t know many people who have this kind of time.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

It took me 5 mins yesterday?

But obviously it isn’t for everyone!

Ruby October 29, 2011 at 3:09 am

Yes, yes, YES! what a coincidence. I did the precise planning for the first three weeks just this morning, and then came to find this post in my reader. Yay! Because my husband works shifts and weekends and alternative stuff and I have a kid and I work and I study… *breathe* I need to just write down what I’m going to do when, do the complicated thinking beforehand, and then just follow the darned plan ;-) The spreadsheet I created goes nicely with my 12 week meal plan spreadsheet ;-)

Good luck!

Lynne October 29, 2011 at 3:50 am

I love this! I’ve been lacking motivation to exercise recently, even though I know that I feel sooo much better when I do. I am printing out the log and starting with a fun Zumba class tomorrow afternoon!

Thanks, Angela. :)

Irina October 29, 2011 at 4:23 am

that plan looks great! I usually struggle with sticking with the plans long-term, so I try not to plan further than the next 24 hours, but I will keep out for your fitness posts to keep myself motivated for the day.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 29, 2011 at 5:07 am

Neat! Looks like a good plan. It sure gets easier to sleep in instead of getting up for a workout with this darkness, colder weather, and holiday planning.

Michaela October 29, 2011 at 6:31 am

that is great!!
I love working out so much and especially with colder weather.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 29, 2011 at 7:55 am

Thanks Angela! I need to set myself up on a workout program again. I have slacked! With the Holiday Season getting near us, I need to get my butt moving!! I don’t want to hibernate over the winter and come spring be disgusted with myself! :)

Jill October 29, 2011 at 9:54 am

Thank you so much for posting and providing a PDF with the log. This is exactly what I need right now. I am in the process of moving and starting a new job and have had very little time to prepare for this transformation so lets just say I am a little bit overwhelmed and now exercising or eating as well as I would like to be. Hoping that writing things out will help me get back in my groove!
Thanks a bunch
Jill

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2011 at 6:55 am

enjoy Jill!

B'klynHeart October 29, 2011 at 10:20 am

Oh goodness, yes! I need to re-commit to fitness, I get myself so easily distracted, and the mornings are so cold and dark! I will join along, I love your site and hope you remain motivated and hope to do the same myself! Thank you (for all you do)!

dawne October 29, 2011 at 10:53 am

Sounds like a great idea, a workout journal is always helpful in the cold winter months, or even in the hot hot summers!! I would suggest including your meals for the day in your journal, as this can affect your energy and stamina, and might help you make changes along the way! Good luck and thank you so much for your outstanding recipes, LOVE THEM!!

val October 29, 2011 at 11:17 am

Love your blog, look forward to reading it everyday. I especially appreciate the variety of topics–you’re helping lots of women with food, self-esteem, fitness, and puting a smile on their face at the same time!

LizAshlee October 29, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Fabulous idea!! My goal is also to start journaling…about everything…workout, food, emotions…I am very excited and think this will be very helpful! Thanks for posting the PDF…perfect!

Amelia Tobias October 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm

That sounds like an awesome routine! Sounds more fun than mine, but you do what works for you, right? :P I’m wondering if I should include another off day.

Mine is Sun- Run/weights: back/biceps
Mon- Easy swim
Tuesday- Harder swim
Wednesday: Light Run/weights: Tricep/chest
Thursday: Off
Friday: swim or run and weights: legs/shoulders
Saturday: Hard swim or run

The set schedule really does help with sticking with it. It’s not an “I could”, it’s a “I’m going to!”

Also, what helps me is having my running or swim stuff laid out in the morning, so I see it there and can’t glance it off.

Also, I am addicted to your blog now! Especially the recipes :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

I do that too (putting out workout clothing) and sometimes I sleep in it if I’m getting up by 5:15am

suzanne October 30, 2011 at 10:02 am

I am obsessive about this – having the clothes out makes me feel committed and half way there. If it is a weekend and I can just run when i get up, I consider it a luxury to not have to lay my clothes out the night before! It is all a matter of perspective :-)
BTW – your workout routine is inspiring – I tend to get too into running all the time and know I should mix it up more. I love to get the outside time though and it is the easiest thing to do. I do cut back in the winter and hope to increase my yoga time and take a zumba class once in awhile. I live in a small town so no other class options really – plus love to get my workout done very early – even on days off – so class schedules do not appeal too much. Would LOVE to try hot yoga though!

Juliane @ C'est moi à Paris October 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I also always journal my workouts. What I did and how I did during the workout. That is the best way to see your progress. Ervery other day I do a Bodyrock workout and once a week I go to ashtanga yoga. And every single day I do a lot of walking to discover Paris!

olivia October 29, 2011 at 11:47 pm

“Journaling” work outs is such a good idea!

I usually do:

1 day yoga (can be hard or easy, I use yogatoday free videos so it is always a wild card)
1 day bootcamp class at the gym
1 day weight training plus 15 minute cardio
1 day anything goes (Could be workout video/more yoga/or another weight training day)

I currently have two off days, but its nearly a mile walk to work from the subway, plus I walk the dog most nights so even my off days include about 2 1/2 miles of walking minimum. I always work out at night because I have to wake up for work at 7 am and there is NO WAY I would stick to a gym routine if I had to do it at 6 am. At the end of the day my butt is usually sick of sitting, so nothing feels better than a post-dinner work out! My only struggle is I will sometimes take my rest days Tues-Wed instead of spreading them out.

Emily @ The Divine Carrot October 30, 2011 at 2:37 am

Ohhh, that’s something I desperately need to do. Now that it’s getting colder and darker with every passing day here in Munich, it’s so hard to get out of bed and get moving in the wee morning hours! Your schedule has inspired me to make a plan for how to stay fit until the spring thaw arrives. Thanks for sharing – keep us posted about how your schedule is working out for you!

Vanessa October 30, 2011 at 3:01 am

I love that you’re brining back some fitness posts!

suzanne October 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

I can totally relate to the dark, cold morning feeling! My boys get up an hour earlier this year too – and I run before I get them up – it can be tough to get out of bed in the middle of the night when it is cold and dark and my flannel sheets are so warm and cozy!!!
BTW – made your pumpkin brownie cupcakes for a pumpkin carving party last night – they were a hit. I made lots of mini ones too – perfect little treat! Thank you :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Glad to hear they were enjoyed Suzanne :)
Good for you for rocking those runs! I bet it sets a positive tone for your entire day.

Cady October 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’m also glad to see another fitnesss post – this has motivated me to write up my own workout schedule.
Now I just have to try to follow it. Even though I can’t do the same workouts as you, I don’t feel that
you target “well-suited women”. For the reader who did feel that way, I suggest reading your
previous posts on the comparison trap.

Christine (The Raw Project) October 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

So true on cold weather workouts, so tempting to stay in bed of by the fireplace instead! Great workout plan, love this idea. I need to motivate myself with better winter running great.

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0 October 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Great idea!! I’m going to do this too. And I like your Whittle The Middle workout plan. I’m in Ontario too, so it’s getting dark and CHILLY!!

Amy October 30, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Hi Angela,
While I have been working out regularly I feel like I have somehow lost the va-va-voom of working out that I experienced while I was in training for the half marathon this year. I love the idea of keeping a workout journal and I have already got a schedule in mind. Thank you for sharing – I hope this will give me back my exercise spark, especially since we are headed into summer here in Australia :)
Amy

Nina October 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Thanks a lot for the post! I’ve been struggling with finding balance in eating completely vegan, exercising and finding motivation to do both. This blog has definitely helped me to the joy in the journey of living a healthier lifestyle.

Nina

Kari October 30, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Angela! I was just looking for a good way to set exercise goals and keep myself accountable. Here’s to keeping fit during the cold months! : )

Allison October 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm

You tie your shoes the wrong way! That’s why you have to double knot them or else they untie. Runner’s World can show you how to tie them right.

Mike October 31, 2011 at 1:38 am

It’s hard to keep yourself motivated during the cold months…doing Bikram/Hot Yoga always works for me. A pretty intense workout in the heat: a nice way to keep yourself warm!

Peace
Mike

JenATX November 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

love hot yoga in the cold months as well.. although stepping out the door with sweaty hair sure can be a shock after class!

I think the hardest thing about winter AM workouts is that its SO hard to wake up when its dark out… I’d love a remote timer on my overhead light to wake me up

varsha October 31, 2011 at 5:50 am

Thanks for the post Angela! I had become quite sluggish with the beginning of the chilly winds here; a plan was all I needed.
By the way, have you heard of horse gram? It’s a very good source of protein.

Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 31, 2011 at 7:53 am

I’m all for this!!! I have the same goal to complete 5 workout days too!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 31, 2011 at 9:34 am

For 2 1/2 years I have always, without fail, made out our workout schedules a month in advance. Looking over the month ahead of us gives me pause to truly consider how to balance all of our workouts to try to hit our calorie burn goals. I firmly believe it’s because of this planning that we haven’t missed a scheduled workout in that time. Actually, that reminds me, time to make out November’s schedule! Thanks for the reminder!

GlendaM October 31, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Your schedule looks similar to mine.
Monday – spinclass or treadmill HITT
Tuesday – morning 5 km run
Wednesday – ballet class
Thursday – 5km run in morning and body pump class
Friday – hot yoga
Saturday – run and workout
Sunday – hike with friends or rest day.

I do the same thing with clothes ready so that when I get up early at 5:20 am I can’t really think about it especially now that it is getting dark and cold. I find if I commit to the schedule I get more done and less likely to flake. I like the idea of creating a journal though to keep track of worksouts and emotions especially. I find it almost 99% a mental game with myself.

Bee October 31, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for some time, and I’m a big fan! This post came at the perfect time for me! I injured myself while training for a half marathon, and I’ve been out of commission for about 6 weeks. I was struggling with the motivation to get back into a work out routine, then I read your post! Thanks for the inspiration! I hope it is ok if I give you a shout out in my own blog?

Erica November 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks this much needed inspirational post! My workout needs differ right now since I am in the second trimester of my fourth pregnancy. I’ve had a difficult time getting used to how sluggish and tired I feel. I would like to get back in the “groove” of working out though now that my morning sickness has passed. Your plan is a good template to start since you’ve included two rest days. Now I just need to look up some good pregnancy strength training workouts!