Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3732 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Isn’t it cruel that I’m dangling these burrito pictures in front of you several hours before lunch on a Monday morning? If I was a better planner, I would have posted this recipe yesterday. Then you could have made these for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Oops?

The truth is, I was just too busy stuffing my face with burritos yesterday!

Burritos are delicious, versatile, portable, filling, and a great source of vegan protein. What’s not to love? Plus, what other food are you challenged to stuff a thin, tiny wrap with as much filling as possible while avoiding explosion? The challenge is thrilling.

Why in the world have I not made vegan burritos before?

IMG 3729 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Luckily, you guys keep me in line! A vegan recipe blog without a burrito recipe has not been unnoticed by many of you. I’ve had several requests for a black bean burrito recipe and I finally got my butt in gear. I just had to wait until inspiration struck.

Inspiration turned out to be a huge craving and a butternut squash that wasn’t getting any younger.

Burritos it is.

IMG 3746 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3726 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

This recipe takes a bit of time due to roasting the squash and cooking the rice. My suggestion is to cook the squash and rice the day before. Then all you have to do is throw some things in a skillet and it will come together in 20-30 mins.

Sautee chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper in a skillet.

IMG 3620 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Add your salt, seasonings, cooked beans and cooked rice:

IMG 3621 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now stir in 1.5 cups of cooked butternut squash. I mashed mine up a bit with a fork, but left some larger pieces too.

IMG 3623 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Stir in 3/4 cup Daiya cheese (or your preferred cheese) and heat until melted. I can’t even begin to describe how amazing the cheese made this mixture. It went from good to mind blowing! I don’t suggest skipping the cheese.

IMG 3624 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now wrap it up and add your desired toppings. If you use about 3/4 cup of filling per burrito it should serve 4 comfortably.

IMG 3625 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3626 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

I added spinach, avocado, and salsa in addition to the bean/cheese filling. You could also add vegan sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped Cilantro, sunflower seeds, hot sauce, etc.

IMG 3628 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3629 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Fold in the sides:

IMG 3641 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Take the end closest to you and wrap it over and tuck underneath the filling.

IMG 3649 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3653 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Monster hands, optional!

Now finish rolling the wrap until the lose end is on the bottom.

With a knife, slice through the centre.

IMG 3658 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Somehow I managed to avoid explosion!

IMG 3742 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

We both agreed that these are the best vegan burritos we’ve tasted and we’ve tried a lot. I’ll be making these again and again!  The black and orange is also pretty festive for Halloween, don’t you think?

IMG 3749 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

It also makes a great salad topper too.

IMG 3754 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

…and a great post-workout feast which is how we enjoyed the burritos yesterday. The only thing missing was a cold beer!

As for the leftover roasted squash? You can use it to make Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze or maybe Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili.

IMG 2428 thumb thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Have a great Monday!

Kristine October 26, 2011

I made your burrito recipe with pumpkin and quinoa. It is delicious and nutritious! I’ve been eating it for lunch all week. Thank you! :)

anne October 26, 2011

we made your blk bean/butternut burritos last night and they were AWESOME!! yes, caps were used. My husband and I were both quite skeptical. We occasionally like squash, but not always. And we were esp skeptical after you said you’d never made a burrito before!! but good job, we loved them :)

Tricia Wikoff October 26, 2011

OH man – these are SOOOOO good!!!!! Just made them and I am contemplating having a second burrito…oh the pain it will cause tho! LOVE THEM!

Lauren October 26, 2011

Holy cow….those look incredible Ange! I think this is my favorite.

Allysia October 26, 2011

I find it hilarious that you’ve never really attempted the vegan burrito before…they make my life complete!! :) My favorite burrito ever is very similar to this one, with the major difference being that I use sweet potato instead of butternut squash. I’ll have to try that!

Sarah October 26, 2011

Oh, holy cow, this is a recipe I just have to try. The pictures alone are mouth-watering!

Jamie October 26, 2011

Just made the black bean and butternut squash burritos and they are really yummy. Ours ended up being minus the rice (since I had a bit of a problem getting it to cook all the way) but they were super delicious and plenty filling without it. Thanks Angela!

Lynn W. October 27, 2011

I made the filling today and it was fabulous! I used a roasted red pepper and left out the cheese and cayenne. I ate the filling over rice. Very filling and oh so good! Thank you!

Erin October 27, 2011

Update – I heated up the leftover filling and added some chopped tomatoes and corn niblets. Fantastic!!!

Beth October 28, 2011

I made these last night — they were amazing! Lots of leftovers for the weekend, too!

beth October 29, 2011

These were amazing! I made them last night and both my husband and I inhaled them… he even had the leftovers for breakfast today. I def will be making again!

Stephanie Webb October 30, 2011

I made these tonight for our Halloween meal and they were amazing! We went vegan about 2 months ago, and I’d say this was the best vegan meal we’ve cooked to date. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Angie S. October 31, 2011

I made these from a different recipe recently, which was my 1st time cooking with butternut squash, but I’m going to try this one next. I’ve been wanting to try the Daiya cheese, so this will be a great opportunity to use it.

Katy @ My Vegan Weight Loss Journey October 31, 2011

We made these over the weekend and they were excellent! I loved this recipe! Thanks for posting it. I am going to have it again today for lunch over salad with a tortilla and a touch of vegan ranch…delicious!

Jennifer November 1, 2011

These are sooooo good! Wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie November 2, 2011

This recipe looks delicious! I have so many squash right now from my CSA and this one will definitely go into my rotation. Your photos are beautiful as well. I just started a food blog this summer based on my CSA share. If you have a chance to check it out, I’d love any feedback or pointers! Thanks for your great recipe ideas.

~CM
seasonalepicure.wordpress.com

Heidi November 2, 2011

eating bean n squash burritos now!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! TY!!

JenATX November 3, 2011

i had a black bean burrito for lunch, which did explode & the hot black bean filling burnt my lip :( very sad…

Lola November 5, 2011

I heard reference to this recipe on the radio in Chicago last night. The announcer said that his wife made these black bean, butternut squash burritos and he has been been thinking about them all day. Then he told the audience if they have not tried them, they need to find the recipe and make them.

^^ thought I’d let you know!

Brandi November 5, 2011

If you use sweet potato instead of squash, do you also roast them in cubes or cook them like normal?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011

I think either method would work just fine :)

Heather November 6, 2011

O….M…..G! These burritos are ridiculous!!! I wanted so much to have a second one, but then I realized that I would only have less of the mixture left for lunches during the week. They are beyond ridiculous…..I just can’t find the exact word, right now! I am beyond blown away by these – I don’t know how you do it. You create the most DELICIOUS recipes. I am your BIGGEST fan!!!! Thank you for this recipe! :D

Connie November 9, 2011

Am I the only vegetarian who hates squash? You make it look so good, but I just can’t do it :(

Natalie November 11, 2011

I made these but used sweet potato instead of the squash and it was soooo good!
Great the next day as a salad on top of some spinach with a dressing of lime, garlic and olive oil.
My hubby scrambled some eggs and had them on top of the warm leftover mixture and had a southwestern scramble. You could just as easily do a tofu scramble on top.
Delicious!

Jessica November 12, 2011

Hi Angela! These look great! Do you think it would be possible to freeze just the burrito filling? I’m a student and I’m looking for meals that I can make ahead. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Jessica! I can’t see why you couldn’t freeze it :) I think it would hold up quite well. Please let me know if you try it!

Kimberly C November 12, 2011

I just made this for lunch and WOW it was amazing. I added a little extra more cayenne and served it on top of a salad with some chopped avocado. Thanks for the recipe, this is going to make a great brown bag lunch for the week!

Sierra November 13, 2011

Made these last night- so good!

I want to make them today as well, but only have canned butternut squash. Do you think that would work as well?

Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware November 14, 2011

Hello Angela:
I just had to write you and tell you that I finally got around to making these today and they are amazing! No wonder it is an all-time favorite recipe- that was the best burrito I have ever had. THank you for inspiring all of us with your wonderful recipes.

Katie Zega November 15, 2011

I LOVE THIS RECIPE SO MUCH!!!! there are so many different ways to adapt it and it’s still delicious!! damn, woman! you are GOOD :)

Sarah E November 16, 2011

making these tonight with some acorn squash i have on hand and i’m sooo excited! thanks for sharing!

Lee Anne November 18, 2011

Hi, I just wanted to say I made this for my family tonight and we all loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :-)

Holland November 27, 2011

Hi! Made these tonight (my first recipe of yours!) and loved them! Thanks so much! We will DEFINITELY be making them again, and trying some more of your recipes in the future!!!

Kristy M. November 28, 2011

I made these tonight (finally) and they were absolutely amazing! My steak loving, need meat at every meal boyfriend not only agreed, but said we should have them all the time. Thanks for an awesome recipe!!! :)

Jacinta Knappenberger December 1, 2011

This is an AMAZING recipe. My husband and I loved it!!

Sissy December 2, 2011

Thank you so much for this recipe! I subscribe to a CSA and we have been getting some kind of winter squash in our box every week. I have made this recipe 4 times since you posted it with 3 different kinds of squash…and they all worked perfectly. When I don’t have tortillas, I leave out the cheese and serve it as is. I love it with a dash of hot sauce and a little squeeze of lime juice.

Evi December 4, 2011

Loved this recipe. A great way to make burritos a little healthier, use up in-season foods, and make them delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Burnsy December 7, 2011

I’m so unorginal when it comes to cooking so I appreciate what you create and post! My sister-in-law made these tonight and raved about them! They’re on my meal plan for next week. Thanks!

Burnsy December 8, 2011

I am so un-original when it comes to creating recipes so I’m appreciative for what you come up with for the enjoyment of the rest of us! My sister-in-law actually made these tonight and raved about them so I will be adding them to next week’s meal plan! Or maybe lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

Kacy December 14, 2011

I just made this and ate this and it was the best. I also made the Weekend Glow salad earlier this week and it was phenomenal. Your site is my new favorite site. Please never stop making recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2011

thank you Kacy!

Carmie December 17, 2011

Oh my! I just finished eating these for lunch and they are AMAZING! It took all my strength not to just dig into that filling with a fork! Haha. I will definitely be looking forward to leftovers. Thanks so much!

Codes for Plndr December 18, 2011

Wow this sounds so gooooooood!! Can’t wait to make it!!

Page 4 of 7« First...«23456»...Last »