Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3732 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Isn’t it cruel that I’m dangling these burrito pictures in front of you several hours before lunch on a Monday morning? If I was a better planner, I would have posted this recipe yesterday. Then you could have made these for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Oops?

The truth is, I was just too busy stuffing my face with burritos yesterday!

Burritos are delicious, versatile, portable, filling, and a great source of vegan protein. What’s not to love? Plus, what other food are you challenged to stuff a thin, tiny wrap with as much filling as possible while avoiding explosion? The challenge is thrilling.

Why in the world have I not made vegan burritos before?

IMG 3729 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Luckily, you guys keep me in line! A vegan recipe blog without a burrito recipe has not been unnoticed by many of you. I’ve had several requests for a black bean burrito recipe and I finally got my butt in gear. I just had to wait until inspiration struck.

Inspiration turned out to be a huge craving and a butternut squash that wasn’t getting any younger.

Burritos it is.

IMG 3746 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG 3726 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

This recipe takes a bit of time due to roasting the squash and cooking the rice. My suggestion is to cook the squash and rice the day before. Then all you have to do is throw some things in a skillet and it will come together in 20-30 mins.

Sautee chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper in a skillet.

IMG 3620 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Add your salt, seasonings, cooked beans and cooked rice:

IMG 3621 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now stir in 1.5 cups of cooked butternut squash. I mashed mine up a bit with a fork, but left some larger pieces too.

IMG 3623 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Stir in 3/4 cup Daiya cheese (or your preferred cheese) and heat until melted. I can’t even begin to describe how amazing the cheese made this mixture. It went from good to mind blowing! I don’t suggest skipping the cheese.

IMG 3624 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Now wrap it up and add your desired toppings. If you use about 3/4 cup of filling per burrito it should serve 4 comfortably.

IMG 3625 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3626 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

I added spinach, avocado, and salsa in addition to the bean/cheese filling. You could also add vegan sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped Cilantro, sunflower seeds, hot sauce, etc.

IMG 3628 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3629 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Fold in the sides:

IMG 3641 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Take the end closest to you and wrap it over and tuck underneath the filling.

IMG 3649 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos IMG 3653 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Monster hands, optional!

Now finish rolling the wrap until the lose end is on the bottom.

With a knife, slice through the centre.

IMG 3658 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Somehow I managed to avoid explosion!

IMG 3742 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

We both agreed that these are the best vegan burritos we’ve tasted and we’ve tried a lot. I’ll be making these again and again!  The black and orange is also pretty festive for Halloween, don’t you think?

IMG 3749 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

It also makes a great salad topper too.

IMG 3754 thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

…and a great post-workout feast which is how we enjoyed the burritos yesterday. The only thing missing was a cold beer!

As for the leftover roasted squash? You can use it to make Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze or maybe Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili.

IMG 2428 thumb thumb   Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

Have a great Monday!

Lia October 24, 2011

Very nice! I love the look of the recipe and that it is so portable (this just struck me). I also like how you offer suggestions for the ingredients to be used in other recipes. A lot of times people just let the cooked ingrediant of choice go bad ’cause they dint put it to another use.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner October 24, 2011

these look really good! I love burritos… an easy go to meal that is healthy and filling.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 24, 2011

Yum! Kind of reminds me of Amy’s frozen burritos.. except they are not frozen and probably taste 10000x better. I’ve been on such a Mexican food kick lately, you read my mind :)

Amanda October 24, 2011

Beautiful photography and I love the step-by-step folding demo!

This sounds like a great flavor combination. It might be just what I needed to convince myself that it’s worth the effort to peel a butternut squash (one of my least favorite kitchen tasks!). :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 24, 2011

Love this recipe! For sure making this for lunch very soon! Yum :)

Traci October 24, 2011

These look incredible! Will be trying this recipe soon, thanks for sharing!

Nicole @ giraffelegs October 24, 2011

yum!!! This looks amazing!

Faith @ For the Health of It October 24, 2011

Burritos are pretty much God’s gift to vegans and vegetarians alike. They’re so substantial and you can fill them any which way. Love the idea to roll up b’nut squash into the mixture!

Bev Weidner October 24, 2011

O.M.G.

yespleaseinmymouth.

Sarah with Veggie Kids October 24, 2011

Yum! I make burritos all the time but never with butternut squash-who knew!? Looks great. I like you’re how-to pictures too. Rolling them is half the battle!

Caitlyn October 24, 2011

Best timing ever! I have been wanting to cook with butternut squash, but couldn’t find a recipe that met my fancy. These look amazing!

Jen P. October 24, 2011

Yes Angela, it’s very cruel of you to dangle those delicious looking burrito photos in front of us just hours before lunch!!! lol! But luckily, I have leftovers of the creamy avocado pasta from last night. I’m getting addicted to your recipes – thanks so much for your wonderful blog! I always look forward to what new brilliant recipe ideas you have in store for us. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Thanks Jen :) I hope your lunch was great!

Jen P. October 24, 2011

Oh it was! I got envious glances from my co-workers as I poured the creamy avocado sauce over my pasta…yum! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

haha nice :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 24, 2011

I am drooling looking at these pictures! I know what I am doing with the butternut squash that is in my house! Thanks for sharing!

maggie October 24, 2011

Made your gluten free brownies AGAIN last night but with chickpea flour…it was amazing!! But now I have to make these for dinner. You always make this little gluten free vegan happy :)

xoxo
Maggie

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Wow that’s great to hear Maggie!

Moni'sMeals October 24, 2011

I am going to have to say, this could be the best burrito ever based on what I am seeing here! I am using butternut squash it what feels ike everything right now.

Hey this could easily be breakfast, lunch, or dinner too, so it works for me. :) Stunning pictures and colors too and I love the burrito wrap tutorial. :)

Happy Monday to you too. :)

Moni'sMeals October 24, 2011

one more smiley face because clearly I did not do enough above, ha- hehe! :) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

haha you can never have too many smileys!

Enjoy the burritos if you make ‘em :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 24, 2011

Burritos are my go-to for a quick lunch or dinner, I usually use Amy’s vegan bean and rice burritos, but I love the chance to make things from scratch so I can’t wait to try these ones out!

Eva October 24, 2011

This looks fabulous, the best way to do burritos though, is to pan grill them after you roll them up and before you cut them in half.
If you put a little bit of earth balance in a hot skillet (medium heat) and put the burrito in the pan so the end of the roll is on the bottom, it’ll fuse to the layer under it in about two minutes, then you can roll it so you grill all the outside – takes about three rolls and makes your burrito kinda square. This makes the outside of the tortilla kinda crunchy and the inside soft and warm and gets rid of the rawish flavor of the tortilla and makes sure the whole thing is warm through.
My dad’s been searching for years for a mexican restaurant that knows this trick and swears it’ll be the only one he goes to once he finds it. It takes a bit longer but it’s sooo worth it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about grilling them in my waffle iron…do you think that would work too?

Eva October 25, 2011

I’ve never tried it before but it seems like it would – as long as they weren’t overfilled/ the waffle iron bumps didn’t poke holes through.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2011

I’ll have to try it!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) October 24, 2011

I need someone to come make me this. I HAVE no desire to cook. 2 days past my due date and all I want to do is sleep and eat healthy foods.

emma October 24, 2011

have you ever tried roasting butternut squash seeds? i am a die-hard non-hulled pumpkin seed fan, and i have to say roasted squash ones may be even better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

No I haven’t, but I was just wondering yesterday if they could be roasted…

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 24, 2011

I love that idea for a burrito filling! Butternut squash makes any fall meal more delicious.

Ella, RD October 24, 2011

I wanted to say this on your last post, but 7 zilliion people commented, so I’ll say it on this one – I am SO SO SO impressed that you were able to feed a group of guys not just veggie but VEGAN football foods, and they ate them right up, and love them to boot. If that right there isn’t a resounding argument for the deliciousness (not just edibility) of some vegan meals, I don’t know what is. I am tempted to try them on my husband but… where would I find nutritional yeast?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Thanks Ella!
You can find nutritional yeast at many bulk food stores, or in the natural/organic section in most grocery stores. I actually asked people to comment on my pumpkin mac n cheeze post saying where they buy the nutr. yeast from, so those comments may help you locate it! There were tons of suggestions: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/13/vegan-pumpkin-mac-n-cheeze-sauce/

Amber K October 24, 2011

Yum! I’ll probably use the potato suggestion since I’m not into squash, but these look delicious!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 24, 2011

I love the use of pumpkin in the burritos…must try this!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes October 24, 2011

What a brilliant idea! I bet those taste amazing. They sure look amazing!

eef October 24, 2011

oh wow, these look fantastic! my boyfriend hates squash though… thinking about using sweet potatoes instead! yum!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 24, 2011

I love this fall twist on burritos. Any filling I can stuff into a tortilla, I’m down!

Jackie October 24, 2011

Making this tonight with sweet potatoes instead! I’ve tried making a burrito with sweet potatoes before, but they just didn’t hit the spot. I think these are it :)

Tanya @ Vegan Faith October 24, 2011

These look delicious Ang! You may also try adding in walnuts for a little crunch. I once had a vegan quesadilla that incorporated walnuts and it was amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Great idea :) I was thinking sunflower seeds would be nice too!

Angela@veggievinyasa.com October 24, 2011

Can’t wait to try these!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 24, 2011

yess!!! we have company coming on Friday…this is totally gonna be dinner!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

umm random, but where did you get your t-shirt?? lol. I LOVE it!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 24, 2011

They look awesome. The filling sounds so great…hearty, warm, a little spicy, and well, filling. Yum!

And you are a professional roller. My burritos, rolls, and things like that never are quite the neat or stick together quite as well as yours do :)

Heather Nauta October 24, 2011

awesome – I totally have to try squash in my next burrito!! That would be so tasty and such a great texture… I have the same issue with wraps wanting to explode :) I always just want to stuff too much of whatever yummy filling there is in there! This one might be especially problematic… cause squash and avocado are two of my faves. Did you try baking them after wrapping? It means waiting longer to enjoy it, but if I can hold out I think I’m going to try these baked with a bit of salsa on top :) thanks for sharing Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

Nope but next time I might throw them into the waffle iron…heh

Heather (heathers dish) October 24, 2011

These look insane! Love the colors and the fact that the rice is mixed in

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 24, 2011

oh gosh, i’m eating lunch and that makes me hungry!!!

Andrea October 24, 2011

These burritos look amazing! I have a butternut squash sitting on the counter and I think this just might be the recipe that it will be used for!!

P.S. Wow. Pro-roller. I can NEVER get mine rolled up without it falling apart. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011

I think that was the first time I have ever rolled a wrap successfully…heh ;)

Caitlin October 24, 2011

Awesome, it’s so hard to find tasty ideas for vegetarian and/or vegan Mexican food that doesn’t involve way too much CHEESE! And if you’re vegan, no cheese! I also love using Mexican “fillings” to top my salads.

Alexis @ hummusapien October 24, 2011

I made your butternut lentil stew last night and LOVED it! I added cinnamon and some honey and it was perfect :) Now I’m all out of leftover butternut…I guess it’s time to roast again!

Sarah October 24, 2011

Both of these recipes look AMAZING…..I just got home from a trip to Cozumel so these burritos will help with the yummy Mexican food withdrawal I am currently experiencing!!! Yay!!

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted October 24, 2011

Yum!

Loving the “leftovers” ideas too. With just two of us at home, I always try to find other meals that I can use the same ingredients for during the week…you did my work for me ; )

Page 2 of 7«12345»...Last »