Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 24, 2011

IMG_3732

Isn’t it cruel that I’m dangling these burrito pictures in front of you several hours before lunch on a Monday morning? If I was a better planner, I would have posted this recipe yesterday. Then you could have made these for dinner and had leftovers for lunch today. Oops?

The truth is, I was just too busy stuffing my face with burritos yesterday!

Burritos are delicious, versatile, portable, filling, and a great source of vegan protein. What’s not to love? Plus, what other food are you challenged to stuff a thin, tiny wrap with as much filling as possible while avoiding explosion? The challenge is thrilling.

Why in the world have I not made vegan burritos before?

IMG_3729

Luckily, you guys keep me in line! A vegan recipe blog without a burrito recipe has not been unnoticed by many of you. I’ve had several requests for a black bean burrito recipe and I finally got my butt in gear. I just had to wait until inspiration struck.

Inspiration turned out to be a huge craving and a butternut squash that wasn’t getting any younger.

Burritos it is.

IMG_3746

4.3 from 10 reviews

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

By

The best burritos I’ve ever made. Also, the only burritos I’ve ever made. But quite possibly the best I’ve tasted! These burritos have a kick of heat to them (that you can control yourself) and a light sweetness thanks to the butternut squash. The filling is so good I found myself eating it on its own. Use it to sprinkle on salads or as a dip for crackers in addition to making burritos. You could also try using sweet potato or pumpkin as a way to change up the butternut filling.

Yield
4 burritos or 3.5 cups of filling
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cubed, & roasted
  • 1/2 cup uncooked short grain brown rice (yields: 1.5 cups cooked)
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • One 15-oz can black beans (about 1.5-2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup Daiya cheese
  • 4 tortilla wraps (large or x-large)
Toppings (Optional):
  • avocado
  • salsa
  • vegan sour cream
  • spinach/lettuce
  • cilantro

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large glass dish with tinfoil. Drizzle olive oil on squash and give a shake of salt and pepper. Coat with hands. Roast chopped butternut squash for 45 mins. or until tender.
  2. Cook brown rice (for directions, see here)
  3. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil, onion, and minced garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Now add in salt and seasonings and stir well.
  4. Add chopped red pepper, black beans, and cooked rice and sauté for another 10 mins. on low.
  5. When butternut squash is tender remove from oven and cool slightly. Add 1.5 cups of the cooked butternut squash to the skillet and stir well. You can mash the squash with a fork if some pieces are too large. Add Daiya cheese and heat another couple minutes.
  6. Add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap or as a salad topper.

Nutrition Information

IMG_3726

This recipe takes a bit of time due to roasting the squash and cooking the rice. My suggestion is to cook the squash and rice the day before. Then all you have to do is throw some things in a skillet and it will come together in 20-30 mins.

Sautee chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper in a skillet.

IMG_3620

Add your salt, seasonings, cooked beans and cooked rice:

IMG_3621

Now stir in 1.5 cups of cooked butternut squash. I mashed mine up a bit with a fork, but left some larger pieces too.

IMG_3623

Stir in 3/4 cup Daiya cheese (or your preferred cheese) and heat until melted. I can’t even begin to describe how amazing the cheese made this mixture. It went from good to mind blowing! I don’t suggest skipping the cheese.

IMG_3624

Now wrap it up and add your desired toppings. If you use about 3/4 cup of filling per burrito it should serve 4 comfortably.

IMG_3625 IMG_3626

I added spinach, avocado, and salsa in addition to the bean/cheese filling. You could also add vegan sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, chopped Cilantro, sunflower seeds, hot sauce, etc.

IMG_3628 IMG_3629

Fold in the sides:

IMG_3641

Take the end closest to you and wrap it over and tuck underneath the filling.

IMG_3649 IMG_3653

Monster hands, optional!

Now finish rolling the wrap until the lose end is on the bottom.

With a knife, slice through the centre.

IMG_3658

Somehow I managed to avoid explosion!

IMG_3742

We both agreed that these are the best vegan burritos we’ve tasted and we’ve tried a lot. I’ll be making these again and again!  The black and orange is also pretty festive for Halloween, don’t you think?

IMG_3749

It also makes a great salad topper too.

IMG_3754

…and a great post-workout feast which is how we enjoyed the burritos yesterday. The only thing missing was a cold beer!

As for the leftover roasted squash? You can use it to make Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze or maybe Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili.

IMG_2428_thumb

Have a great Monday!

Elisabetta October 24, 2011 at 7:54 am

It’s 2.55 p.m. here in Italy and I had lunch at 1 p.m. but I’d have another right now! I love pumpkin, beans and whole wheat tortillas. Thanks for recipe!!

K October 24, 2011 at 7:59 am

This is a great autumn recipe using my favourite squash!
Looks great, must try!
Thanks!!

LizAshlee October 24, 2011 at 7:59 am

Wow, these look wonderful..perfect time of year for a delicious, hearty burrito! Hope you had a great weekend!

Kate October 24, 2011 at 8:04 am

I almost made burritos yesterday but im glad i saw these they look amazing!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 24, 2011 at 8:11 am

Those look amazing. My husband eats Mexican food for lunch every day, so he never wants it for dinner. I think these are different enough that he could still enjoy them even after hitting up the Chipotle for lunch!

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014 at 2:42 am

Alayna I just had to comment because my husband is the same way! Mexican food nearly every day, ha!

Blog is the New Black October 24, 2011 at 8:12 am

Before even reading the recipe, I starred this one! Sounds amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I hope you enjoy them! :) We just polished ours off tonight…so sad!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 24, 2011 at 8:12 am

This looks amazing! I love burritos so I am totally going to try this :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 24, 2011 at 8:13 am

I LOVE using squash in burritos– it melds so well with beans and avocado!!! This looks awesome!

Radha October 24, 2011 at 8:14 am

Angela~ I fell off the vegitarian wagon last week! I consider myself 95% vegetarian, vegan where possible. I eat dairy products. Anyway, I could sure use you to get me off the couch. Inspiration needed. (A good post: Keeping/getting active when the weather turns cold)
Love to you, Eric and Sketchie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 9:00 am

Congrats! :)
I’ll keep your fitness post in mind :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers October 24, 2011 at 8:24 am

I love it! I have so much Butternut Squash, that this would be a great use for it! Thanks Angela, this is on my to make list!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

haha I love that – the best burritos I’ve ever made… the only ones I’ve ever made. Too funny. Kevin and I used to LOVE homemade burritos. He actually taught me how to fold them just like you’ve shown us. My only problem is I always put way to much stuff in them!

Tatomme @ Fresh Potater October 24, 2011 at 8:31 am

Mmmm, looks amazing…especially in this rainy fall weather!

Cait's Plate October 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

Oh my. You just solidified my dinner plans for tonight! These look incredible as usual Angela – and the photography is BEAUTIFUL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 9:01 am

Thanks Cait!

Zestful Lou October 24, 2011 at 8:33 am

Love the festive burritos! It’s well into October and I have yet to have cooked my first butternut squash of the season. I need to get my booty moving!

Lys October 24, 2011 at 8:33 am

I think I may have to leave work now to make this! Haha.

jenna October 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

yum..this looks fabulous! i’m not going to lie though…i’m sorta squashed-out at the moment! but this is going on my to make list for sure.

Judy October 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

Oh my, those are great looking burritos! I always surprise myself by how easy they are to make, and how much I enjoy eating burritos. I should make them more often – and now I have this recipe to try as incentive!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I feel the same way Judy. Once the filling is made, it’s amazing for leftovers too!

OrganiKooK October 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

Oh my gosh, those look so yummy! I will definitely be cooking up some of those!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

Holy burrito! These look fantastic. I’m going to be trying these ASAP – love the butternut in it. I may try mine with sweet potato and lentils since that’s what I have on hand.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

These look amazing! I’ve been so lazy about wanting to cook up my butternut that’s been sitting on the counter for about 3 weeks now, this looks worth it though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 9:01 am

heh mine was too :)

Meredith October 24, 2011 at 8:47 am

This post came at the perfect time– I just made the butternut squash mac and cheese over the weekend and have been trying to come up with a way to use my leftover roasted squash!

Jesse (Out To Lunch Creations) October 24, 2011 at 8:52 am

Oh wow this sounds delicious! I bought a ginormous butternut squash at the market last week and I froze half of it; I think this recipe will be the perfect way to use some of it. I can’t wait to try it. Also I’m extremely hungry now and lunch is still 2 hours away… time for a snack!

Brittany *Sparkles* October 24, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m so hungry now… lunch is so far away!!

Charlie October 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

These burritos look sooo good! I can never have too much butternut squash ;).

Christina October 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m the worst burrito wrapper! I’ve never had butternut squash in a burrito, looks yummy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

Mmmmmmm these look amazing Ange! And I love the fall twist on one of my Mexican favourites. Any reason to eat more butternut squash – sign me up!

Sarah October 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

These look so good! One thing that makes homemade burritos even more awesome is toasting them on both sides in a skillet for a couple of minutes. I know what I’m having for dinner now!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

This looks fantastic!!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

I really want to use this as enchillada stuffing. So yummy looking.

Bronwyn October 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

OH my deliciousness! These look AMAZING. I’ll have to give them a try.

Jaclyn T October 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

I need to try this! Thanks for sharing!

–Jaclyn T
TrickArt Jewellery: Nature Inspired

Hannah October 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

Beautiful looking recipe, Ange. It’s such a coincidence too: my mom tried her first vegan burrito yesterday at this awesome vegan restaurant near my school. It didn’t have butternut squash, but instead scrambled tofu, along with black beans and avocado and vegan cheese. It was pretty incredible.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm

That does sound delicious!

Sara October 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

My oh my. I would eat this for breakfast right now if I had some cooked up. I’ve really been digging the squash and bean combo.

Emily-Jane October 24, 2011 at 9:38 am

i love black bean burritos! i will definitely be giving this a try.

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

That sounds like a really interesting combination of flavors. Maybe you could make a vegan breakfast burrito?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Funny you mention that because I was thinking about that yesterday…would be fun!

kristin October 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

What would I do without this blog???? I love it. You make going vegan so easy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Aww thanks Kristin! :)

Stephanie @cookinfanatic October 24, 2011 at 9:59 am

Wow, these look absolutely amazing!!!!

Heather October 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

Holy yum! The colors alone in this burrito are making my mouth water. :-)

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

WOW! I know what I’m doing tonight: roasting squash to make these tomorrow night! Might have to add some jalapeno for more heat.

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Your Recipe has perfect timing… I have a butternut squash waiting to be cooked on my kitchen counter. Looks amazing!! Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Enjoy!

Lia October 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

Very nice! I love the look of the recipe and that it is so portable (this just struck me). I also like how you offer suggestions for the ingredients to be used in other recipes. A lot of times people just let the cooked ingrediant of choice go bad ’cause they dint put it to another use.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner October 24, 2011 at 10:19 am

these look really good! I love burritos… an easy go to meal that is healthy and filling.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 24, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yum! Kind of reminds me of Amy’s frozen burritos.. except they are not frozen and probably taste 10000x better. I’ve been on such a Mexican food kick lately, you read my mind :)

Amanda October 24, 2011 at 10:37 am

Beautiful photography and I love the step-by-step folding demo!

This sounds like a great flavor combination. It might be just what I needed to convince myself that it’s worth the effort to peel a butternut squash (one of my least favorite kitchen tasks!). :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 24, 2011 at 10:38 am

Love this recipe! For sure making this for lunch very soon! Yum :)

Traci October 24, 2011 at 10:40 am

These look incredible! Will be trying this recipe soon, thanks for sharing!

Nicole @ giraffelegs October 24, 2011 at 10:41 am

yum!!! This looks amazing!

Faith @ For the Health of It October 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

Burritos are pretty much God’s gift to vegans and vegetarians alike. They’re so substantial and you can fill them any which way. Love the idea to roll up b’nut squash into the mixture!

Bev Weidner October 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

O.M.G.

yespleaseinmymouth.

Sarah with Veggie Kids October 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

Yum! I make burritos all the time but never with butternut squash-who knew!? Looks great. I like you’re how-to pictures too. Rolling them is half the battle!

Caitlyn October 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

Best timing ever! I have been wanting to cook with butternut squash, but couldn’t find a recipe that met my fancy. These look amazing!

Jen P. October 24, 2011 at 11:15 am

Yes Angela, it’s very cruel of you to dangle those delicious looking burrito photos in front of us just hours before lunch!!! lol! But luckily, I have leftovers of the creamy avocado pasta from last night. I’m getting addicted to your recipes – thanks so much for your wonderful blog! I always look forward to what new brilliant recipe ideas you have in store for us. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Jen :) I hope your lunch was great!

Jen P. October 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh it was! I got envious glances from my co-workers as I poured the creamy avocado sauce over my pasta…yum! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

haha nice :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

I am drooling looking at these pictures! I know what I am doing with the butternut squash that is in my house! Thanks for sharing!

maggie October 24, 2011 at 11:24 am

Made your gluten free brownies AGAIN last night but with chickpea flour…it was amazing!! But now I have to make these for dinner. You always make this little gluten free vegan happy :)

xoxo
Maggie

www.mybreakfastblog.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Wow that’s great to hear Maggie!

Moni'sMeals October 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

I am going to have to say, this could be the best burrito ever based on what I am seeing here! I am using butternut squash it what feels ike everything right now.

Hey this could easily be breakfast, lunch, or dinner too, so it works for me. :) Stunning pictures and colors too and I love the burrito wrap tutorial. :)

Happy Monday to you too. :)

Moni'sMeals October 24, 2011 at 11:26 am

one more smiley face because clearly I did not do enough above, ha- hehe! :) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

haha you can never have too many smileys!

Enjoy the burritos if you make ’em :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

Burritos are my go-to for a quick lunch or dinner, I usually use Amy’s vegan bean and rice burritos, but I love the chance to make things from scratch so I can’t wait to try these ones out!

Eva October 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

This looks fabulous, the best way to do burritos though, is to pan grill them after you roll them up and before you cut them in half.
If you put a little bit of earth balance in a hot skillet (medium heat) and put the burrito in the pan so the end of the roll is on the bottom, it’ll fuse to the layer under it in about two minutes, then you can roll it so you grill all the outside – takes about three rolls and makes your burrito kinda square. This makes the outside of the tortilla kinda crunchy and the inside soft and warm and gets rid of the rawish flavor of the tortilla and makes sure the whole thing is warm through.
My dad’s been searching for years for a mexican restaurant that knows this trick and swears it’ll be the only one he goes to once he finds it. It takes a bit longer but it’s sooo worth it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about grilling them in my waffle iron…do you think that would work too?

Eva October 25, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’ve never tried it before but it seems like it would – as long as they weren’t overfilled/ the waffle iron bumps didn’t poke holes through.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2011 at 11:10 am

I’ll have to try it!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen) October 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I need someone to come make me this. I HAVE no desire to cook. 2 days past my due date and all I want to do is sleep and eat healthy foods.

emma October 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

have you ever tried roasting butternut squash seeds? i am a die-hard non-hulled pumpkin seed fan, and i have to say roasted squash ones may be even better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

No I haven’t, but I was just wondering yesterday if they could be roasted…

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love that idea for a burrito filling! Butternut squash makes any fall meal more delicious.

Ella, RD October 24, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I wanted to say this on your last post, but 7 zilliion people commented, so I’ll say it on this one – I am SO SO SO impressed that you were able to feed a group of guys not just veggie but VEGAN football foods, and they ate them right up, and love them to boot. If that right there isn’t a resounding argument for the deliciousness (not just edibility) of some vegan meals, I don’t know what is. I am tempted to try them on my husband but… where would I find nutritional yeast?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Ella!
You can find nutritional yeast at many bulk food stores, or in the natural/organic section in most grocery stores. I actually asked people to comment on my pumpkin mac n cheeze post saying where they buy the nutr. yeast from, so those comments may help you locate it! There were tons of suggestions: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/13/vegan-pumpkin-mac-n-cheeze-sauce/

Amber K October 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Yum! I’ll probably use the potato suggestion since I’m not into squash, but these look delicious!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I love the use of pumpkin in the burritos…must try this!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes October 24, 2011 at 12:25 pm

What a brilliant idea! I bet those taste amazing. They sure look amazing!

eef October 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm

oh wow, these look fantastic! my boyfriend hates squash though… thinking about using sweet potatoes instead! yum!

[email protected] October 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I love this fall twist on burritos. Any filling I can stuff into a tortilla, I’m down!

Jackie October 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Making this tonight with sweet potatoes instead! I’ve tried making a burrito with sweet potatoes before, but they just didn’t hit the spot. I think these are it :)

Tanya @ Vegan Faith October 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

These look delicious Ang! You may also try adding in walnuts for a little crunch. I once had a vegan quesadilla that incorporated walnuts and it was amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Great idea :) I was thinking sunflower seeds would be nice too!

[email protected] October 24, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Can’t wait to try these!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

yess!!! we have company coming on Friday…this is totally gonna be dinner!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

umm random, but where did you get your t-shirt?? lol. I LOVE it!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 24, 2011 at 12:59 pm

They look awesome. The filling sounds so great…hearty, warm, a little spicy, and well, filling. Yum!

And you are a professional roller. My burritos, rolls, and things like that never are quite the neat or stick together quite as well as yours do :)

Heather Nauta October 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

awesome – I totally have to try squash in my next burrito!! That would be so tasty and such a great texture… I have the same issue with wraps wanting to explode :) I always just want to stuff too much of whatever yummy filling there is in there! This one might be especially problematic… cause squash and avocado are two of my faves. Did you try baking them after wrapping? It means waiting longer to enjoy it, but if I can hold out I think I’m going to try these baked with a bit of salsa on top :) thanks for sharing Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Nope but next time I might throw them into the waffle iron…heh

Heather (heathers dish) October 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm

These look insane! Love the colors and the fact that the rice is mixed in

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm

oh gosh, i’m eating lunch and that makes me hungry!!!

Andrea October 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm

These burritos look amazing! I have a butternut squash sitting on the counter and I think this just might be the recipe that it will be used for!!

P.S. Wow. Pro-roller. I can NEVER get mine rolled up without it falling apart. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I think that was the first time I have ever rolled a wrap successfully…heh ;)

Caitlin October 24, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Awesome, it’s so hard to find tasty ideas for vegetarian and/or vegan Mexican food that doesn’t involve way too much CHEESE! And if you’re vegan, no cheese! I also love using Mexican “fillings” to top my salads.

Alexis @ hummusapien October 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I made your butternut lentil stew last night and LOVED it! I added cinnamon and some honey and it was perfect :) Now I’m all out of leftover butternut…I guess it’s time to roast again!

Sarah October 24, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Both of these recipes look AMAZING…..I just got home from a trip to Cozumel so these burritos will help with the yummy Mexican food withdrawal I am currently experiencing!!! Yay!!

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted October 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Yum!

Loving the “leftovers” ideas too. With just two of us at home, I always try to find other meals that I can use the same ingredients for during the week…you did my work for me ; )

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 24, 2011 at 2:36 pm

It seems like you always know what I’m craving for dinner and these burritos were no different. I’ve had a kabocha squash sitting on my counter for a few days now and these will be the perfect use for it, if I do say so myself. And hopefully there will be a little left over so I can whip up a batch of your mac and cheese for tomorrow night. Orange skin, here I come!

Mindy October 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Yay burritos! I cannot believe you haven’t ever made vegan burritos before! They’re one of my staples! So easy to just stuff whatever is around into a tortilla and call it lunch. I usually bust out my bf’s George Foreman grill and grill up some veggies to mix in with salsa, hummus, beans, rice… whatever is in the fridge at the moment. Burritos are so fun. I’m sure this recipe is going to be the start of something great for you :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I think an addiction has started, perhaps :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm

oh my goodness – these look AMAZING!

The Hungry Birdie October 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm

You’re right, it was mean posting this before lunch :p I’m sitting (very hungry and bored) in class right now and this looks insaaanely good! I don’t normally add rice to my burritos but I’m tempted to try it now, yummm!

jessie ann james October 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

looks fantastic! thank you for posting!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Love burritos or wraps of any kind and these look delicious. The best burrito I ever ate was a combo of sweet potato, kale, brown rice and a spicy peanut sauce from Choices Market. I need to recreate it again soon!

Ellen Clifford October 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Wow, I just want a big bowl of that filling witha side of…a spoon. Looks amazing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Oh yum! I actually happen to have all these ingredients on hand right now. I think it must be a sign that I have to make these! ;)

Kimmy October 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Oh wow… I just finished supper & am seeing this now and I think I would have completely changed my entire plan based off of the title alone.
I am *so* making this tomorrow =D
YUM

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife October 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I love this mexican kick you’ve been on… keep em coming!

nanette October 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I’ve made almost the exact same recipe, but with sweet potatoes and some corn. Instead of sauteing or roasting anything, I just throw it all in my crock pot, and it’s all cooked for me 4-5 hours later!

B'klynHeart October 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm

One thing I love about your website (among the 827 things I love about your website) is how I could have had a completely filling meal (of Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze no less), pop on the web to check today’s update, and find myself completely desiring that burrito. If the Mac is any indication, this is going to be heavenly, I can’t wait to try this! Thank you (as always) for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

heh thank you!!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thank goodness I just got 2 squashes! Hope I see you at Foodbuzz. ;) happy Monday to you, too!

Lacey October 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I am making these right now except I tossed the butternut in chili powder and cayenne before roasting. I’ll also be putting some butternut “cheese” sauce on these bad boys…so excited! :-)

Elesha @ Skinnyfat Girls October 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm

You really are mean because now I’m starving and want to eat these now! I might just have to make some. I do have butternut squash just begging to be used.

[email protected] healthy helper blog! October 24, 2011 at 8:22 pm

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST COMBO EVER!!! The only thing I would add to this is to grill it for a nice crispy tortilla!!! I LOVE WRAPS!

Maggie October 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Every single recipe you’ve been making so far looks perfect. I need to start making these recent ones. Thank you!!!

Suzanne October 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm

So I packed my healthy salad in preparation for lunch tomorrow at work (I was pretty excited and proud of it at the time) and now I want a burrito for lunch instead! Gee thanks Angela! :p

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I LOVE the idea of using that as a salad topper! And I’ve been trying to find a new way to use the butternut squash I Have!

crookedmoonmama October 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm

You’re funny! :)
~Burrito Love~
xo

Marijke October 25, 2011 at 3:11 am

These look positively sensational! I’m definitely going to be making these this weekend!

Katrina October 25, 2011 at 6:10 am

These are insanely yummy looking!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 25, 2011 at 6:50 am

That looks so yummy and filling! I know what ingredients I’m picking up at the grocery store this weekend!

Molly @ RDexposed October 25, 2011 at 7:16 am

You say avocado. I say, where??

Kristina @ Love and Zest October 25, 2011 at 7:51 am

Whoa, whoa this is my kinda meal! Thank you for the inspiration!

Squash Blossom Babies October 25, 2011 at 7:55 am

Oh fantastic! I make black bean and sweet potato burritos but have never thought to use butternut squash! Thanks for the inspiration!

AGS October 25, 2011 at 8:44 am

We had burritos last night, thanks to your inspiration. Tweaked a bit, of course. . . it was a fun meal!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 25, 2011 at 8:48 am

These look so delicious–the colors are also beautiful. Talk about eating with your eyes, I wish I could grab these right from the screen. And I’m already trying to figure out what I need to get to make them for dinner tonight :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks Laura! I love colourful food too :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 25, 2011 at 9:04 am

That is absolutely GORGEOUS! :D

MaDeja October 25, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hi Angela, would you consider making hot chocolate. I’ve come across many recipes lately, but none that interests me. A cup of creamy hot chocolate will compliment the cool weather. Thank you.

Renee October 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks to your recipes, butternut squash is my new favorite add in and vegetable! I actually added it into your avocado pasta that I made last night! :-) thank you!

galit October 25, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m totally feeling the burrito loving (I <3 burritos, black beans and butternut squash)…

Sonia (the Mexigarian) October 25, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This just upped my Mexican food craving. It’s comfort food for me :)

Lauren October 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I made some pretty basic black bean and sweet potato burritos once but I never made them a second time despite what a hit they were! Guess I better find that recipe, thanks for the inspiration!

Kathy October 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm

That’s it. Time to go find some healthy tortillas/wraps in my local store.
Too bad all I’ve found are white, “wheat”, and corn (the wheat and corn aren’t even whole grain), and that that aisle has an odd smell…
But once I find them, these will be one of the first recipes I’m trying!

Randi October 25, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Made it for supper tonight – absolutely delicious!!! Thanks for a great recipe.

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 25, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Mmm I love butternut squash, I have one in my fridge at this very moment :-)
Your recipes sound delicious and your photos are beautiful!
Definitely going to take some ideas from this to cook up a dinner later this week!

stacey October 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

i made these tonight.. oh squash goodness!! thanks again for a great recipe :)

Katie @ BloomEveryday October 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm

This looks so great! I love black bean and orange veggies mixed with it!

– Katie
Check us out sometime @ BloomEveryday.wordpress.com! :) Can’t wait to share some recipes with you.

Emily C October 26, 2011 at 3:05 am

I ate this tonight… it is sooo freaking good, I want to make it every night for a month!!!

Kristine October 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

I made your burrito recipe with pumpkin and quinoa. It is delicious and nutritious! I’ve been eating it for lunch all week. Thank you! :)

anne October 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

we made your blk bean/butternut burritos last night and they were AWESOME!! yes, caps were used. My husband and I were both quite skeptical. We occasionally like squash, but not always. And we were esp skeptical after you said you’d never made a burrito before!! but good job, we loved them :)

Tricia Wikoff October 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm

OH man – these are SOOOOO good!!!!! Just made them and I am contemplating having a second burrito…oh the pain it will cause tho! LOVE THEM!

Lauren October 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Holy cow….those look incredible Ange! I think this is my favorite.

Allysia October 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I find it hilarious that you’ve never really attempted the vegan burrito before…they make my life complete!! :) My favorite burrito ever is very similar to this one, with the major difference being that I use sweet potato instead of butternut squash. I’ll have to try that!

Sarah October 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Oh, holy cow, this is a recipe I just have to try. The pictures alone are mouth-watering!

Jamie October 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Just made the black bean and butternut squash burritos and they are really yummy. Ours ended up being minus the rice (since I had a bit of a problem getting it to cook all the way) but they were super delicious and plenty filling without it. Thanks Angela!

Lynn W. October 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I made the filling today and it was fabulous! I used a roasted red pepper and left out the cheese and cayenne. I ate the filling over rice. Very filling and oh so good! Thank you!

Erin October 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Update – I heated up the leftover filling and added some chopped tomatoes and corn niblets. Fantastic!!!

Beth October 28, 2011 at 9:06 am

I made these last night — they were amazing! Lots of leftovers for the weekend, too!

beth October 29, 2011 at 6:07 am

These were amazing! I made them last night and both my husband and I inhaled them… he even had the leftovers for breakfast today. I def will be making again!

Stephanie Webb October 30, 2011 at 12:11 am

I made these tonight for our Halloween meal and they were amazing! We went vegan about 2 months ago, and I’d say this was the best vegan meal we’ve cooked to date. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Angie S. October 31, 2011 at 4:51 am

I made these from a different recipe recently, which was my 1st time cooking with butternut squash, but I’m going to try this one next. I’ve been wanting to try the Daiya cheese, so this will be a great opportunity to use it.

Katy @ My Vegan Weight Loss Journey October 31, 2011 at 8:25 am

We made these over the weekend and they were excellent! I loved this recipe! Thanks for posting it. I am going to have it again today for lunch over salad with a tortilla and a touch of vegan ranch…delicious!

Jennifer November 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

These are sooooo good! Wonderful recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie November 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

This recipe looks delicious! I have so many squash right now from my CSA and this one will definitely go into my rotation. Your photos are beautiful as well. I just started a food blog this summer based on my CSA share. If you have a chance to check it out, I’d love any feedback or pointers! Thanks for your great recipe ideas.

~CM
seasonalepicure.wordpress.com

Heidi November 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm

eating bean n squash burritos now!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! TY!!

JenATX November 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm

i had a black bean burrito for lunch, which did explode & the hot black bean filling burnt my lip :( very sad…

Lola November 5, 2011 at 7:32 am

I heard reference to this recipe on the radio in Chicago last night. The announcer said that his wife made these black bean, butternut squash burritos and he has been been thinking about them all day. Then he told the audience if they have not tried them, they need to find the recipe and make them.

^^ thought I’d let you know!

Brandi November 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm

If you use sweet potato instead of squash, do you also roast them in cubes or cook them like normal?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I think either method would work just fine :)

Heather November 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm

O….M…..G! These burritos are ridiculous!!! I wanted so much to have a second one, but then I realized that I would only have less of the mixture left for lunches during the week. They are beyond ridiculous…..I just can’t find the exact word, right now! I am beyond blown away by these – I don’t know how you do it. You create the most DELICIOUS recipes. I am your BIGGEST fan!!!! Thank you for this recipe! :D

Connie November 9, 2011 at 5:13 am

Am I the only vegetarian who hates squash? You make it look so good, but I just can’t do it :(

Natalie November 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

I made these but used sweet potato instead of the squash and it was soooo good!
Great the next day as a salad on top of some spinach with a dressing of lime, garlic and olive oil.
My hubby scrambled some eggs and had them on top of the warm leftover mixture and had a southwestern scramble. You could just as easily do a tofu scramble on top.
Delicious!

Jessica November 12, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hi Angela! These look great! Do you think it would be possible to freeze just the burrito filling? I’m a student and I’m looking for meals that I can make ahead. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hey Jessica! I can’t see why you couldn’t freeze it :) I think it would hold up quite well. Please let me know if you try it!

Kimberly C November 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I just made this for lunch and WOW it was amazing. I added a little extra more cayenne and served it on top of a salad with some chopped avocado. Thanks for the recipe, this is going to make a great brown bag lunch for the week!

Sierra November 13, 2011 at 10:18 am

Made these last night- so good!

I want to make them today as well, but only have canned butternut squash. Do you think that would work as well?

Abby [email protected], Drink and Be Aware November 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Hello Angela:
I just had to write you and tell you that I finally got around to making these today and they are amazing! No wonder it is an all-time favorite recipe- that was the best burrito I have ever had. THank you for inspiring all of us with your wonderful recipes.

Katie Zega November 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I LOVE THIS RECIPE SO MUCH!!!! there are so many different ways to adapt it and it’s still delicious!! damn, woman! you are GOOD :)

Sarah E November 16, 2011 at 9:32 am

making these tonight with some acorn squash i have on hand and i’m sooo excited! thanks for sharing!

Lee Anne November 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Hi, I just wanted to say I made this for my family tonight and we all loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :-)

Holland November 27, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Hi! Made these tonight (my first recipe of yours!) and loved them! Thanks so much! We will DEFINITELY be making them again, and trying some more of your recipes in the future!!!

Kristy M. November 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I made these tonight (finally) and they were absolutely amazing! My steak loving, need meat at every meal boyfriend not only agreed, but said we should have them all the time. Thanks for an awesome recipe!!! :)

Jacinta Knappenberger December 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

This is an AMAZING recipe. My husband and I loved it!!

Sissy December 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! I subscribe to a CSA and we have been getting some kind of winter squash in our box every week. I have made this recipe 4 times since you posted it with 3 different kinds of squash…and they all worked perfectly. When I don’t have tortillas, I leave out the cheese and serve it as is. I love it with a dash of hot sauce and a little squeeze of lime juice.

Evi December 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Loved this recipe. A great way to make burritos a little healthier, use up in-season foods, and make them delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Burnsy December 7, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I’m so unorginal when it comes to cooking so I appreciate what you create and post! My sister-in-law made these tonight and raved about them! They’re on my meal plan for next week. Thanks!

Burnsy December 8, 2011 at 1:11 am

I am so un-original when it comes to creating recipes so I’m appreciative for what you come up with for the enjoyment of the rest of us! My sister-in-law actually made these tonight and raved about them so I will be adding them to next week’s meal plan! Or maybe lunch tomorrow. Thanks!

Kacy December 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I just made this and ate this and it was the best. I also made the Weekend Glow salad earlier this week and it was phenomenal. Your site is my new favorite site. Please never stop making recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

thank you Kacy!

Carmie December 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh my! I just finished eating these for lunch and they are AMAZING! It took all my strength not to just dig into that filling with a fork! Haha. I will definitely be looking forward to leftovers. Thanks so much!

Codes for Plndr December 18, 2011 at 1:49 am

Wow this sounds so gooooooood!! Can’t wait to make it!!

Jenny April 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Surprisingly delicious… Such a shame I doubted this combination of ingredients for so long! I was worried that I wouldn’t like the butternut with the filling (sautéed bell pepper, onion, garlic…) and the trimmings (avocado, cheese, salsa) to boot, but… lo’ and behold: best lunch I’ve had in a long time! Thankyouthankyou! Marvelous recipe and definitely one I am looking forward to repeating tomorrow with today’s leftovers. :)

Alane April 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I tried these out tonight. My meat eating boyfriend was very pleased with the results! I put cheese (the dairy product) on his portion. I also wrapped them with a little avocado, lettuce, and salsa. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Lauralynn May 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

That was delicious!! Thanks!

Lindsay May 10, 2012 at 3:46 am

this has become one of my absolute favorite recipes, i make these all the time. thank you for creating and posting it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012 at 6:56 am

I’m glad you enjoy it Lindsay!

Frank Pruiksma May 19, 2012 at 5:25 pm

My Dad attended a Diabetic Medical Convention. He is a Medical Doctor that specializes in diabetes. One of the items that was catered at the Diabetes Conference was one of these butternut squash and black bean humus burritos! My Dad brought a couple for me to try and they were an instant knock out! I just now found the recipe, Thank you for posting! Happy Eating!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Wow that is awesome! Thanks for letting me know :)

Pie Kasbar May 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm

We made these tonight and they were a HUGE hit! I’m a new vegan, and I go to your site EVERY day for recipes and inspiration. I have a young family and everything I’ve made so far has been delicious and well received! Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thank you, I’m so thrilled to hear that!

Marley June 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I made these a couple nights ago…AMAZING! Haha. I had to sub the butternut squash with acorn squash, but I think it turned out the same as it would with butternut. Putting it all together took a bit longer than expected but OH MY was it worth it. I had to hide the leftover filling from the rest of my family, they couldn’t believe how good it was! I used it in tortillas for wraps, in pita with spinach, and as topping for a black bean patty. This stuff is SO versatile! Definitely looking forward to trying more of your delicious recipes after the success of this one:) Thanks for sharing it!

Latoya June 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I made this today, and absolutely love it! The combination of the flavors…the sweet and salty and spicy…my tongue was in heaven! I added my leftover spinach to the filling, and it was divine, with and without it. And you are sooo right about the cheese….it is a must! I hesitated about trying it (I’m not a vegan…but am transitioning into a more plant based diet), but I must say that I love it! I would never know that it was “vegan” opposed to regular dairy cheese. It’s definitely a new favorite…thanks! The filling is definitely quite versatile, and will be included in my meals throughout the week. Thanks for sharing, and showing me that being a vegan doesn’t mean you only eat salad…not that there’s anything wrong with salad ;-) Can’t wait to try your other recipes!

Aislinn September 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Hi,

Going to try to make this tonight. Could you substitute nutritional yeast to get the cheesy flavor and texture, do you think? I don’t have the cheese product you mention, and prefer not to use dairy cheese.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Aislinn

Michelle September 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

I made these last night and they were great! Eating a leftover one right now for lunch, NOM NOM!!!!!

Gina September 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

These look amazing!! Living in SoCal, burritos (Mexican food really) is a diet staple. Being vegan, I just have to get a little creative sometimes. Can’t wait to try this!

Emily September 20, 2012 at 6:24 am

Sorry for the perhaps obvious question, but I’m a complete butternut squash newbie… could you make this with pumpkin as well, or are the two veggies not interchangeable?

allison September 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm

These look soo good! I must make them this weekend! Thanks for giving me such a healthy idea! Follow my blog :)

Darvina September 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. These burritos were so good. Im fighting myself not to have another one. LOL I just started my vegan journey and have to warn you, I will be stalking your site from now on! ;)

Dianna September 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

I made these last night! Wow! They are so delicious, full of flavor! You know what I love about eating vegan? I feel full, healthy and full of energy. Who knew?

Kristen September 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Angela,
I just made this for the first time this year. I made it last year as well. It is sooooo delicious and easy!!!! I love so many of your recipes! I think I’ve made your adventure cookies at least 5 times!!
Thanks :-)

Life's a Bowl September 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Oh my goodness, YUMMM!!! These would be awesome with the cooler weather rolling in :)

Cecilia September 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm

This. Was. Unbelievable. So incredibly FANTASTIC! I am sad I have to wait a whole 24 hours for leftovers. :(

Samantha September 26, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Made these tonight with squash that I had grilled for dinner the night before. The twins (12) only tasted one tiny bite of the grilled squash and declared it a “no thank you”. But tonight they ate every morsel of this recipe! I wanted to make “Mexican” but we had already had red meat and we are eating one vegitarian and 2 fish meals a week in an effort to cut back on “meat”. So my regular taco and enchilada recipes were out – plus I had the left over squash, which I thought turned out awesome on the grill. With this great recipe I was able to do both, eat up the leftovers and have Mexican, and it was amazing. I will check this site again in the future! thank you!

Kim D September 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm

this looks wonderful. i’m going to make it tonight for dinner. i’ll let you know how it turns out.

MsPacMan October 4, 2012 at 10:35 am

Wow – 212 comments – this must be an awesome recipe! I am making these for dinner tonight. Can’t wait til dinner time! I did what you said and prepared the squash and rice ahead. Great suggestion. :)

courtney October 5, 2012 at 8:37 am

definitely making this next week! sounds sooo yummy & perfect for fall!!!

Karen October 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

My hubby and I LOVE these. I’m wondering though if it would work to make a double batch and freeze the second batch of filling? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Hey Karen, so glad you enjoy the burritos so much! I think other commenters have mentioned that they freeze them successfully.

Andie October 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I made these tonight and they are beyond amazing! Truly a perfect meal for early fall. We are big burrito fans around here so when I heard, “this is the best burrito I’ve ever had!” from my family, it meant something. Simply amazing! I have made a few dozen of the dishes from this website and they never, ever disappoint. Thank you so much!

Kim October 10, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I made this tonight and it is delicious – I didn’t add the rice because I do the low carb diet but it still is fantastic! I made alot so I have leftovers for lunches and maybe another meal. Thanks for a wonderful recipe.

Jodie October 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I made these last night for my lunches for the rest of the week, GREAT recipe! Very tasty and satisfying. Thank you for the awesome recipes!

Sarah McKenna October 14, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Yum! Served it to my family tonight. Was short on time, so used frozen butternut squash and it was divine (and QUICK!)! Big hugs, many thanks!!

Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm

These were A-MAZING!! Not only was the filling great for burritos on day 1 but we used some leftovers to make enchiladas. I just lined a few corn tortillas with large spinach leaves and filled each with a dollop of the butternut blackbean filling, rolled them up in a baking dish, then covered with some leftover sauce I had in the freezer. Voila!! Instant 2nd day hit. Thanks Angela for sharing another great recipe!!

Suzanne P October 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm

WOW! Thank you Angela, these pretty much BLEW MY MIND!

YUM!

Sonja October 21, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Hi Angela, I’ve so far made 4 of your recipes including this one and I can’t stay silent any longer. These burritos are absolutely delicious! My husband is a huge meat eater and absolutely loved them! I can’t thank you enough for your effort and creativity in making such great food, it’s truly an inspiration — everything I have made of yours has been fantastic!

Sonya October 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

I made a variation of the filling and stuffed it in green and poblano peppers. Delicious! You have great recipes!

Kaitlin October 28, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Just made these and they were SO good. Even my carnivorous husband loved them! Thank you!

Ashley November 6, 2012 at 11:43 am

I am making this tonight! Looks and sounds delicious!

Robin November 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I made these! Deeeeeeeeeee-licious! Thank you!

elizabeth November 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Oh my gosh, the black bean and butter squash burritos are amazing. I made them for lunch for my friends and they were a hit. I love them!!! Easy to make and very flavorful. Thank you so much for sharing :)

elizabeth November 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Amazingly wonderful!!!! The black bean and butternut squash burritos are so worth the work. Thank you for sharing :)

Kat November 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I am back to make these again! They were amazing, I just eat the filling! Thanks.

Tricia December 2, 2012 at 1:28 am

So…my husband and I have been vegan for a grand total of six weeks now…and THIS is the recipe that made it all possible. After a particularly troubling visit w/ the specialist who treats my Lupus, I came home to announce to my husband that, on my doctor’s advice, I was vegan. But first, I made these burritos. When he was about 2/3 through his burrito, and mumbling (when he stopped chewing) that this was the best dinner he had eaten in quite a while…I said, “Good! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s vegan. WE’RE vegan.” No problem! Since then I have tried several of the recipes from your blog and enjoyed them all. Thank you for making our transition so much easier than it might have been!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012 at 8:09 am

Hi Tricia, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Congrats on going vegan. I’m so glad that I could be a part of your journey!

Karen December 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Ooops…we forgot the Daiya cheese! We did not have rice but used colored quinoa. Too spicy for me..so will adjust next time. We mixed sour cream/and avocado and topped with spinach. Would eat it as a salad or side dish…rather than a burrito. Different I might say.

Mary December 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I just made these in quesadilla form. They were a-maz-ing! The only thing I changed was I do not use any oil in cooking so I used a splash of veg broth. I will be making these again. Thank you for the recipe.

jeanne December 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Very, very good. Served in baked tortilla bowl with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded carrots. Had sour cream and Mexican shredded cheese for those who wanted. Omitted Daiya because it wasn’t on the ingredient list (I missed it when copying) and didn’t notice it until I was at the end of the directions. Besides, wouldn’t have known where to find it!

Laura December 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I made these for dinner tonight, Yum! They are so very very good! I was done before I realized I forgot to add avacado, but I’ll be having leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I reduced the amount of cumin because I’m not a big fan of the flavor. I bet these would be good with enchilada sauce too. Love your blog, so many good looking recipes here!

Leigh January 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I just mad these for lunch and my husband said “this is a hit!”

Leigh January 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

*made* not mad…

maria January 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

what a great recipe!! i will make this tomorrow for lunch. I am a new vegan and i am enjoying all these wonderful recipes!

Tamar Knochel January 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm

You are hilarious! :D Placing a grin on my face isn’t always the easiest thing to do but today you have done it with your burrito! Plus it looks so yummy!!! :) Thank you for the smile today, you brightened my day!

ginny January 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Just made a version of this subbing quinoa for the rice & added a dollop of hummus. Ate it as a rice bowl instead of a burrito. OMG! Holy yumm!!! Thanks Angela :)

Jenc January 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

I made this the other night and it is insanely amazing!! Even my non-vegan husband went back for seconds! I am a new vegan and your website is SO incredibly helpful with recipes and suggestions. It has made the switch so much easier for me! Thank you!

Marissa January 22, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Just made these for the first time – yum! My husband and I were amazed at the flavor and awesome texture. Our son was almost game. :) Thanks, Angela!

Carly February 2, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious!! Topped them off with some guacamole and salsa. HIGHLY recommended recipe :) Thanks!

Ann February 7, 2013 at 2:38 pm

We had these again last night, but since we had no cooked or peeled squash on hand, my husband made them with sweet potato – just as good. And there are always leftovers!

Lyns February 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Made these tonight! Wow!! Adding butternut squash to a Spanish style meal
adds so much flavor & dynamic! Love these!!!

Jenna Wheeler February 22, 2013 at 9:15 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!! I made them last night for dinner and they turned out amazing. I used coconut oil instead of EVOO and also omitted the “cheese” and used it as an optional side instead, but the burritos were a HUGE hit and definitely a new favorite of mine. Thank you for sharing!!!

Karen February 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm

These look so good!! I am wondering if the mixture could be frozen? I am a college student cooking for myself and cannot eat that much of course. But I would love to make these! Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2013 at 10:03 am

I haven’t tried it but I cant see why not!

Gina February 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

I made this last night and it was absolutely fantastic!! I used frozen squash and it tasted perfect. I also mixed a little greek yogurt with pureed chipotle in abobo sauce as I like the pairing of squash with chipotle. Though we’re not vegetarians this will become a staple! Thank you for the recipe.

Chelsea March 1, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Oh wow so delish. I made this after making the mac and cheese with butternut squash recipe and and I love this one just as much! I’m glad butternut squashes are huge because I loooove that sweet taste.

For this dish, I added kale to mix and topped with avocado, cherry tomatoes and salsa. Mmmm

Kathy March 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

yum yum yum yum yum
These are soooo good!

Dina March 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm

stumbled across your recipe on pinterest… these burritos were fantastic!! thanks!!

Tricia Jetton March 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Made this tonight and it was so wonderful (my husband even raved!!)! I found a flax tortilla recipe online and made those to accompany it (just flax meal, water & coconut flour). Can’t wait to eat the left-overs!!

Tricia Jetton March 28, 2013 at 9:17 pm

By the way, the Dayia “cheese” (I used the pepper jack flavored) was amazing. Thanks for the tip!!!

Olivia May 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

What are your favourite brands of tortillas? I’ve tried the Food For Life corn tortillas and I can’t seem to make them edible :( I prefer flour tortillas but can’t seem to find any without things like cargeenan and worst of all L-Cysteine. I really miss wraps/burritos/fajitas, so any suggestions would be great. Or a blog post on making your own would also be a real treat. :)

Lisa May 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Made this last night.. I wanted to THANK YOU for sharing! Your website is amazing!

Jennifer June 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Just made these and they are absolutely AMAZING!!!! My husband & I just loved them. So tasty, filling and healthy.

Kaitlin June 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm

These are amazing. I’ve made them several times. Even my meat and potatoes, hold-the-veggies husband ate them. Hallelujah!

Carla June 18, 2013 at 6:04 pm

This turned out amazing! I also added some finely cut up tofu to it, that I had and didn’t want to waist! So GOOOODD! Everyone in my family enjoyed it even my father who, is not big on meatless meals! Also, adding the cheese really did make it incredible! thanks so much, I’ll be most definitely following up with you now and your awesome recipes!

Annie June 21, 2013 at 12:07 am

Angela,
I am so very excited for your cookbook! I think I’ll make this very soon with sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash (even though I do love me some butternut squash). I haven’t tried Daiya but will not skip this ingredient. :)

Karyn August 29, 2013 at 3:05 am

I made these last night for my friend and our kids. They were AMAZING!!!
I had to sub pumpkin for the butternut as it’s not in season yet here in France. And we don’t have Daiya or anything similar. I’ll be making this again this weekend! Merci beaucoup!

Carla August 30, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I made these butternut squash burritos and they were AMAZING!!! Loved the sweet & spicy flavors. Added some hot peppers from my garden, yum! Thank you for the recipe. My meat-eating husband LOVED them too! I will definitely make them again. (P.S. Don’t throw away those butternut squash seeds. Clean them, toss them in a bit of olive oil & salt, & roast them. Super delicious!)

Monica September 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Made a super easy version of these and they are delicious! Mashed up roasted squash w/ Nooch and cumin, stirred in black beans, rice and a pint of fresh salsa from my local Mexican grocery. Keeper recipe for sure! Thanks!

Dawn September 10, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I googled “butternut squash recipes” because I had some extra butternut squash that I picked up from the farmers market. I came across your black bean and butternut squash burrito recipe and it looked delicious. And man oh man, it tastes better than it looks! I did not have any tortilla wraps so I used the pita that I had on hand. Thank you for this recipe. This will be a new staple in my home.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2013 at 7:17 am

Hey Dawn, Im so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know :) I have another GREAT b’nut squash recipe you might enjoy: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/ It’s a fav on the blog.

Anette Packer September 23, 2013 at 9:40 pm

These were amazing! Added a lime cilantro sauce and it was perfect!

Nicole September 25, 2013 at 11:40 am

My first vegan recipe on day one, and sooo delicious! I’ve had 3 meals worth and still want more. Thank you for the great recipe!

Ivana October 3, 2013 at 5:38 am

Made these for lunch yesterday – perfect! Just loved them. I ended up making my own crepe-style tortillas though because the ones that are sold around here mostly contain preservatives. Oh, I live in Serbia, just wanted to let you know your blog is read over here too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2013 at 7:25 am

So cool, thanks for letting me know! :)

kelsey October 6, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Delicious!! Thank You!

Dave Coffin October 8, 2013 at 11:09 am

I made these last night, but put it on a bed of kale instead of in a burrito wrap and it was awesome.

Marie October 9, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I can not wait to try this, it looks delicious! I also think it would be a great dip, do you know how much it yields? I am trying to decide if I would need to double it if using as a dip.
Thank you! M

Karen October 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm

This is the first recipe that I picked out to try and it was so deeeelicious I can not believe how easy it was to prepare, tasty and healthy. Thanks! Now I am going to attempt your Cheezy Soup. Can not wait!

Anna October 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I made these burritos last night for dinner and they were quite good. I did change up the black beans to kidney beans, and used a brown rice and quinoa mixture that I happened to have on hand. Also, I used a chipotle chili powder (about 3/4 teaspoon) and a regular mild chili powder (about 1/2 teaspoon) in the place of the cayenne, which adds a little heat but mostly has a wonderful sweet, smokey flavor that I think really compliments the taste of the butternut squash.

I know this recipe was posted two years ago, but have you thought of leaving out the rice, putting the filling in corn tortillas, and smothering it with a mild enchilada sauce?

Taylor October 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm

This is one of the best meals I’ve ever had! I had leftover butternut from your butternut mac and cheese that I made last night. It took about 10 minutes to put together too! Will be a staple now :)

Steohanie October 23, 2013 at 8:18 am

Ok so I’m dipping my toe into the vegan pool! Husband is staunch meat and potato kinda guy. We both LOVED this. I did cheat and use real cheese though :). Do yourself a favor and make these now!

Jana November 9, 2013 at 8:04 am

Call me crazy, but these are awesome for breakfast too!!! Just finished one! I’ve learned so much from your website. Thanks for sharing :)

Amy November 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Has anyone tried making ahead and freezing? I’m thinking of making these for the upcoming holidays. Thanks!

Amy November 20, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hi Angela – my 6 year old son and I just inhaled these burritos! I’m looking forward to the filling over greens for lunch tomorrow :). Thanks for the recipe!

Judy February 1, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Hi, I was wondering what type of wraps do you use? I use brown rice wraps, but they brake open once you fold it and your wraps seem quite flexible. Thank you!

Terri February 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I just want to echo everyone else by saying these are absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for the recipe.

Nicole March 18, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I accidentally bought an Acorn squash not a butternut squash, but this recipe was still really really really good!

Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014 at 12:37 pm

These were delicious!!

Donna Rogers April 2, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I’m declaring it a winner. Modifications: dust squash with smoked paprika and cumin before baking. Use 2 c. rice, and 2 cans drained black beans. Add bit of taco seasoning, along with cumin, cayenne, cumin, and juice from 1 lime . Use spinach, sour cream, lime juice, feta cheese, and jalapenos for toppings. ENJOY!

Waffey April 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I made this recipe for dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious!!! I’ve been a vegetarian for many years but just recently gave up dairy products. This is a fabulous vegan dish that provides all the essential amino acids to ensure we get sufficient protein AND it tastes great! Thanks for sharing!

Charlotte April 12, 2014 at 4:39 am

Hello from the UK! I’ve been vegetarian for 25 years and am currently experimenting with vegan recipes in an attempt to be healthier and lose some weight. I’ve just added the ingredients for these burritos to my shopping list, as well as those for your Soft and Chewy Sugar Free Granola Bars.

Gowri April 15, 2014 at 3:16 am

This filling is AMAZING. Just made it tonight. Blew me out of the water. I consider myself a foodie and a good cook, but never cease to be amazed at how creative, and sometimes simple, and always elegant your recipes are!

Jessica T April 19, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Just made these tonight, but wrapped them in your delicious spelt tortillas. AH-mazing! Another ten star recipe–thanks so much!

renee May 19, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Hi…I was wondering if you thought I could make these with yams instead? I would roast them as well, I am not a huge fan of butternut squash. thank you Renee

Fawn McCool May 19, 2014 at 9:50 pm

FYI this is the ultimate toddler food. My 21 month old freaking LOVED this burrito (as did myself and the hubs!). I have shared it with my mom groups. Thank you Angela!

renee May 20, 2014 at 4:26 pm

in follow up i used yam instead of squash…supper yummy! great reipie would make this again…thank you!

Joanne June 1, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Just made this and it was delicious! Super easy. Will definitely make it again!

Anita June 17, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Angela, another winning recipe! Thanks to you, my hubby is eating vegan… And enjoying it! He’s always loved his veggies, but your recipes are so hearty that he doesn’t miss the meat :) Really thankful for your creativity in the kitchen.

Jenna June 29, 2014 at 9:26 am

I’ve made this recipe twice and it is the most out of this world meal you will ever eat! It scratches every itch. It is glorious. Ambrosia. Insane. Outrageous. Just one of the best recipes ever – vegan or not. No carnivore on the face of this earth could take a bite of this burrito del cielo and turn away. It’s just ridiculously good. Amazing.

Donna July 13, 2014 at 10:07 pm

This is delicious! Absolutely right in not omitting the daiya cheese. I used sweet potatoes because I love them. I also added raw corn on the cob for the same reason Angela would. Because I had it. I added some freshness and crispiness. I ate it on a sprouted grain tortilla. Yum!

Adam Wenzel July 19, 2014 at 6:01 pm

There is a discrepancy in your recipe. Not a major issue, but thought i’d point it out.
In the directions below the ingredients it states to add the red pepper at the same time as the beans and rice. However in the directions that have the pictures it states to add the red pepper at the same time as the onion and garlic.

I followed the directions that are below the ingredients, not the ones that correspond with the photos. When I make this recipe again, I’d add red pepper at the same time as the onion and garlic. When I added it with the rice and beans, the peppers weren’t as tender as I’d like.

Scott July 27, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I found your site yesterday. This is the first recipe I made, and the family loved it. The flavor was outstanding. One of the best things was the link to making brown rice. Now, I don’t know if it was just me being lucky or not, but my wife and 19 year old daughter pointed out it was the first firm (and not exploded / soggy brown rice I’ve made!

I look forward to trying more!

Laura August 20, 2014 at 8:19 am

One of my favourite recipes EVER! I’ve made it for so many guests and they’ve all been SO impressed. Thanks so much, Angela!!

Tracy September 14, 2014 at 11:28 am

I made this dish last night and it was a big hit among our family. My daughter (17) recently became a vegan. When she first broke this news to me, I was worried, truthfully scared for her decision. I knew she was a health conscience, animal lover, above all, self disciplined little grown-up. After I shared my concerns with her, she directed me to your website. I am a 50 year old Chinese American. In the past 30 some years, I shopped my 90% food at a local Chinese supermarket, 9% at Costco, less than 1% from Trader Joe’s, Vons, and other western supermarkets. ALL the ingredients you mentioned in ANY of your recipes are almost unknown to me. It was really hard in the beginning! The first thing I made for her was Granola bars for her school snack. It was a success considering a newcomer in this field. The second one was a big hit! It was Black Bean Butternut Squash Burrito. My son and husband even asked for second ones! The taste was gentle but rich. The color was beautiful!

I read your blogs everyday and appreciate your sharing thoughts with us. Thank you so much! I will continue learn from your experience. More importantly, I started to understand my daughter a little bit better and draw myself a little bit closer to her. She became more excited when she sat at the table with us and ate. I no longer a worried mom (though sometimes still). I am a encouraging and supportive family to her!

Neena September 25, 2014 at 7:19 am

Amazing post – I need to use my butternut squash and voilahhhh!! You have some incredible recipes!! really LOVE your blog!! =D

Millie October 1, 2014 at 2:15 am

Hello! I followed this link from the Freezer Meals page… Does avocado freeze and re-heat well for this recipe? I would think not but maybe someone has tried it?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2014 at 2:35 pm

usually it doesnt, so i would probably leave it out and add it just before serving :)

Kristen October 6, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Do you think your cashew cheese sauce in your cookbook would be good on these in place of the cheese?

Kelly October 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

These were absolutely incredible! I made a batch for dinner tonight with a few adjustments ( 2 TBsp nutritional yeast instead of Daiya cheese, and a few dashes of liquid smoke topped with peach salsa). I am already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for another great recipe!

Lindsey October 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I found this post today. I was wondering if i could make a bunch of these possibly freeze them and thaw and heat them up when i wanted one? Or would it not be that great and a bad idea?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi Lindsey,

I haven’t tried it, but I have heard from blog readers that they freeze well.

Lauren Daniels November 29, 2014 at 9:14 pm

OMG! Probably one of the best things I have ever tasted!!! I’m in heaven!! :):):)

Debbie Godschalk December 7, 2014 at 8:04 am

This is one of my FAVORITE dinners. DELICIOUS,SIMPLE and VEGAN. My 3 musts. Thank you.

Thomas January 8, 2015 at 7:50 pm

This recipe looks great.

Just out of interest is the mixture freezable?

Thank you.

Jean October 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Yes, I too wanted to know if the mixture is freezable.
I made this up last week and gave the excess to my sister-in-law. She said she liked it very much and could eat it all week. She lives alone and does not cook too often for herself because she does not have all of the ingredients. If it is freezable, I would make up a batch and freeze in individual servings for her. (I am going to make a batch for our annual pumpkinfest party–I am sure the vegetarians in the group will like it.) Thank you.

Nichole January 10, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Just made this and was amazing. Thank you again for sharing your delicious recipes. I am so glad I came across your site.

Meredith February 16, 2015 at 7:36 am

This looks great but we can’t do soy. Could the vegan cheese used in the butternut squash mac ‘n cheese work here? Thanks for any suggestions!

Molly March 1, 2015 at 2:33 pm

looking at these for freezing for baby…. do you wrap them and freeze them in the tortillas or just freeze the stuffing? Thanks!

cari main March 29, 2015 at 9:37 am

You could also use the large rectangle Persian bread (cut to size) as your wrap which is thinner and more delicate than a tortilla shell

Bryanna Ford May 16, 2015 at 8:58 pm

This was one of the first vegan recipes I ever tried and years later I’m still making it weekly! Your blog opened me up to a world of delicious new food options and ideas. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Lindsey May 25, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Has anyone tried using the filling to stuff peppers?

Rachel Page June 20, 2015 at 4:40 am

Awesome time saver! I tend to skip breakfast even though I know it’s the most important…… but that won’t be happening any more.

Jean October 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I needed to make a meal for a friend who had some surgery. He and his wife are vegetarians. So I looked over your site and liked the idea of the Black Bean and Butternut Squash burrito–it being quite seasonal. I have it all prepared to deliver later this afternoon. I sampled the finished product and found it quite tasty with a bit of a zip. I do hope that they like it. What would it matter–if someone cooked and brought the meal for you, would you ever complain. Not me.

Barbara October 3, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Thank you!!! <3

Amelie October 24, 2015 at 2:58 pm

We just had them for lunch and they were beyond delicious! The squash adds so much to this recipe and I never would’ve thought to include it! Thanks for another fail proof recipe!

Kristy November 7, 2015 at 9:31 am

I wish I could find a gluten free tortilla that didn’t fall apart and tasted good. Any suggestions?

Cynthia November 19, 2015 at 12:27 am

I have made these several times for my family– hubby and 2 boys– and they love it. I’ve used butternut squash and sweet potato and I love both. I also throw in either kale or spinach. Thank you for the easy, delicious and healthy recipe!

pattinput December 16, 2015 at 1:39 pm

These were delicious!

Sonja February 15, 2016 at 5:29 pm

i didn’t have any butternut squash, but did have sweet potato! Used it in this receipe instead! It was amazing!!!

Lauren April 11, 2016 at 5:45 pm

When you go to print the recipe, you get 17 pages of commments and no recipe!
Sucks… the recipe is good, but there has to be a way to print just the recipe! Annoyed!

Lauren April 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm

When you go to print this recipe all you get is 17 pages of commentary.. Annoying as hell.
Recipe is good, but just long hand write it out because who wants 17 pgs of comments.

Olga April 26, 2016 at 5:05 pm
Recipe Rating:

I would never think to pair butternut squash with beans. This was delicious, I added chili powder and lots of cilantro and some lime juice. Ended up eating the filling by itself instead of making a burrito.

Lucy May 17, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Recipe Rating:

Another excellent recipe, why have I never thought to put butternut squash into a wrap before? Plus I found some great quinoa and chia wraps. So much food… food coma time need to lie down for a bit lol. I was worried that there didn’t seem like much seasoning, but it was perfectly balanced, the squash was delicious.

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 8:03 am

It’s great to hear the burritos were a hit, Lucy!

Nora October 19, 2016 at 5:36 am
Recipe Rating:

These were terrific! Definitely a keeper. The vegans and omnivores in the family all loved these.

Cosmna November 29, 2016 at 11:13 pm
Recipe Rating:

I’ve made this last week and Angela was right, I couldn’t stop eating the filling…it was absolutely delicious!!!!! I ate it in a burrito and on a salad and it was perfect every single time!!! Will definitely make this again and you NEED to make this for your family! They will love it, guaranteed!!!!

plasterers bristol December 6, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Oh my these just sound yummy. Love this type of food. Simon.

Ivy January 13, 2017 at 6:10 pm
Recipe Rating:

Just made this recipe for me and my husband, it’s DELICIOUS! So flavourful, it really hits the spot. My husband isn’t vegan but he loves it too. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.

Colleen January 17, 2017 at 7:47 pm
Recipe Rating:

These were FANTABULOUS!! (That’s right. I’m an educator using a made-up word and I don’t care. It’s the only word I can think of to describe how amazing these were!)
My son gave me a butternut squash from his garden months ago and having never baked them before, I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I googled a vegan gluten-free butternut squash recipe and I am beyond thrilled that this one turned up. SO STINKING GOOD! The balance of flavors in this recipe is sublime. I used gluten-free burrito wraps and crushed some avocado with lime juice, salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and made a spread. Thank you for taking the time to share this amazing 10-star recipe! I will be making it again and again.

Angela Liddon January 18, 2017 at 9:52 am

I’m so happy you loved the recipe, Colleen! Thanks for the wonderful comment. :)

Sadie January 24, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Hubby & I just made these & they are amazing. Also tried them just with tortilla chips & it was good as well. Excited to try as a salad topper. This is being added to the list of meals to make for non-vegan friends to show them that being healthy tastes good. Might use nutritional yeast instead of Daiya to make it healthier since Daiya has so much oil in it. We used avocado & salsa. If anyone has a great recipe for cashew free & soy free vegan sour cream, please let me know!

Angela Liddon January 24, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Hi Sadie, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe! In terms of vegan sour cream, you can always sub in sunflower seeds for cashews. I’ve found the sub isn’t exactly 1:1, though. For example, rather than soaking 1/2 cup of raw cashews overnight, draining, and then blending them with 1/2 of water, I’d suggest using 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of soaked raw sunflower seeds (and then drain, rinse, and blend with 1/2 cup of water). Hope that helps!

Elle Arr March 17, 2017 at 8:08 pm
Recipe Rating:

I loved this recipe!! I’m even writing about it on my blog and how much I loved it. Thank you for this recipe. I’m experimenting with vegan cuisine and my friend brought me to your website. I’m so happy that she did!!

Thanks Again,
Elle

A-Train November 10, 2017 at 8:10 pm
Recipe Rating:

It was very yummy, but felt as if it needed something else.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2017 at 8:16 am

Thanks for letting me know…it’s been years since I’ve revisited this recipe, but I would like to. What about pickled jalapeños? Increase the spices?

Julie W November 14, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Totally agree. I tinkered with the spices and flavors too. It was one note as is.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2017 at 8:09 am

This recipe is now 6 years old so I’m going to put it on my list of ones to revamp. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Amelia November 14, 2017 at 2:20 pm

Love this recipe! I featured it on my blog: Gift Guide for Tiny + Off-Grid Living. Keep up the great cooking!

Julie W November 14, 2017 at 7:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

This was really good. I had to tinker a bit with the flavor bc I found it a bit bland, and also added some lemon and lime to brighten it up. Overall really good and would make again! Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2017 at 8:09 am

Thanks Julie! :)

Lindsey November 30, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Recipe Rating:

Has anyone tried freezing this filling and does it thaw and reheat well? I am currently planning on things to stock my freezer before my baby is due next month and I love this recipe and would love to have some filling on hand.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2017 at 7:37 am

Hi Lindsey, Congrats on your pregnancy! So exciting.
I think you could freeze this filling. I can’t see why not! I would probably cool it gently, and either place it in a freezer bag with the air sucked out or fill a freezer-safe container with it (I might even place some wrap covering the top to prevent freezer burn). I hope this helps. If you try it out I’d love to know how it goes!
Just a side note: I’m hoping to revamp this recipe in the future since it’s an older one. You may want to play around with the spices in the filling (chili powder or my 9 spice mix would be fun additions to the cumin powder) Just a thought!

Lindsey December 5, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Thanks Angela. I will let you know!

Lindsey January 10, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Update: I used the filling to make up small burritos (note that I used old cheddar cheese and not diaya) and they froze and reheated wonderfully. To thaw I cover with a damp paper towel and microwave them for 3 minutes at 50% power.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Hey Lindsey, Thanks so much for reporting back! That’s such a great tip. Thanks for sharing :)

Joan December 3, 2017 at 3:00 pm

We grew about 10 nice Butternut Squash this summer and we’re still looking for nice recipes for them. This one served us well! We didn’t use the vegan cheese but used a sprinkle of nutritional yeast instead. This was delicious. Thank you Angela.