Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

20101002IMG 4115 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

If you’re like me, you tend to leave some things to the last minute.

My dreaded tasks include:

• Getting the oil in my car changed. I loathe going to the car shop. It’s one of my all-time least enjoyed errands.
  • Renewing my passport. My passport has been expired for a few months now and I’ve been meaning to renew it! We’re also planning a visit to the states soon, so I really need to get my butt in gear or Eric said he’s leaving me behind.
  • Getting my hair cut. I often leave it until I absolutely cannot stand my split-ended hair for another second. I call the salon and try to get an appointment that same day. Usually doesn’t work. I got my hair cut last night and I always say, “Why did I leave it so long, I feel great!!!” On an unrelated note, my stylist wants to give me a long bob for a hair cut. Sort of like Jennifer Anniston’s new bob, but a bit longer. What do you think? I’m scared.
  • Changing my name. I still have yet to change my name on my Driver’s License! It’s been 3 years since we got married…time flies?
  • Meal planning. As you may recall, I’m not a meal planner. Thinking about planning a week’s worth of meals makes my skin crawl. It really does.

Now that my skeletons are out of the closet, I’ve put together this last minute post for those of us who may need a glimmer of hope on the weekend of our Canadian Thanksgiving.

Repeat after me: You can do it!!

Deep breaths.

For an appetizer, why not make soup to warm everyone up? I especially love this Carrot Apple Ginger Soup:

IMG 5316 thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

or the Holiday Soup for the Soul was a big hit too.

20101116IMG 0565 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

For a vegan (and gluten-free if you’d like) entrée, why not try the Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf?

IMG 8055 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

This is by far one of my favourite recipes on the blog and I’ve yet to meet someone who didn’t love it. After several trials, I finally made a version that held together and didn’t crumble apart. This loaf is adapted from the Clean Food Cookbook and The Vegan Table Cookbook.

For a side, why not try the delicious High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes (with a secret ingredient!)

20100908IMG 2684 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

I believe my mom said she liked these mashed potatoes better than her own!

This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole. This is one of my all-time favourite ‘veganized’ recipes! No heavy cream required.

20101002IMG 4262 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream

20101001IMG 3969 thumb thumb1   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

This recipe goes down as one of the most popular and well-reviewed on the blog! You guys sure love your pumpkin gingerbread.

Pumpkin Pie Brownie- another crowd pleaser.

20101002IMG 4091 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts. The perfect mini finger food and very easy to make.

IMG 0619 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Looking for a hostess gift? Why not give a jar of homemade Pumpkin Butter. It’s quick and easy. Just be sure to keep the lid ajar while it cooks down.

20101005IMG 9034 thumb1 thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Looking for décor inspiration? Check out my Thanksgiving dinner décor on a budget from last year.

20101002IMG 4047 thumb thumb   Last Minute Vegan Thanksgiving Ideas

Have a fun & safe Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends!

I’m off to make a Green Monster, workout, shower and pack. Sketchie is already waiting by the door in his cat bag (he loves car rides and visits to see his kitty friends).

Karlee @olivewineandfood October 8, 2011

yay i’m glad you posted this before thanksgiving so i can try some of these recipes out before! thanks

Julie @ Shining From Within October 8, 2011

Enjoy!!! All this yummy food makes me wish it were Thanksgiving in the States!

Kate October 8, 2011

Happy thanksgiving im making those donuts asap!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 8, 2011

Happy thanksgiving to you!! Hope you have an awesome day. All of that food is making me wish thanksgiving was happening in the USA right now :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 8, 2011

im making your pumpkin butter next week! happy thanksgiving :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 8, 2011

YES to all these recipes!!! I think I’m going to try making that lentil walnut loaf myself. It’ll be turkey with the fam this weekend but I like to eat Thanksgiving foods all month! :) Happy Thanksgiving Ange!

Krissy October 8, 2011

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Love! I hope we can get together soon!! xo

cathy October 8, 2011

happy thanksgiving weekend to both you and eric, angela!
this sunshine and the temp are just amazing, eh?! we sure lucked out for a gorgeous long weekend! safe travels!

Jenny October 8, 2011

And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and Eric, as well!

I’ve heard that it’s quite nice in Ontario at the moment… I hope the weather helps make your weekend even better. Have a great one!

(I’m in charge of dessert for my family’s Thanksgiving dinner this weekend. Super pumped to finally make your pumpkin pie brownies! :))

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

yes it’s literally gorgeous outside this week!

Maria October 8, 2011

So many wonderful recipes! I have made your Pumpkin spiced gingerbread many a time and I love it so much!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner October 8, 2011

I want to make that homemade pumpkin butter!! Enjoy the holiday :)

Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 8, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! I still haven’t decided what to make yet but these awesome great ideas. And best of all they all seem easy enough for the husband to make :) I’m running my first half marathon tomorrow and doubt I’ll have the energy to cook or bake on Monday. Have a great weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

goodluck with your half!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 8, 2011

I’m the same way about my hair! I only ever get it cut when I go home to visit my mom and she makes a passive comment about it… For example: “You know, I can pay for you to get your hair cut…” or “have you had a hard time finding a salon you like in Chicago?” Thanks mom.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

hah ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 8, 2011

I completely agree with all your dreaded tasks. It took me forever to change my last name on certain documents, such a pain in the butt! I never meal plan, and always leave my haircuts until the “i can’t stand it” stage. The one thing I don’t have to worry about is the oil change. Having a husband that works with/on cars all day long, I simply have to say “honey, my car needs an oil change” and it’s done :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Andrea October 8, 2011

Funny, the lentil walnut loaf is on my menu for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night (and for Monday night at the in-laws), and the pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream icing is in the oven as I’m typing this! Thanks for the great recipes :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 8, 2011

I love the place settings! We’re doing a family dinner on Monday, so I still have some time to get my act together. Famous last words I’m sure. Have fun!

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews October 8, 2011

Happy early Thanksgiving! It works perfectly that your Thanksgiving comes before the American one – plenty of time for me to practice your recipes (and consume that practice) before our big family get togethers.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 8, 2011

For someone who doesn’t like meal planning, this looks amazing!

Hannah October 8, 2011

I feel like such a doof-when I saw the post title I thought, “Isn’t it a bit early to think about Thanksgiving it’s not until November!” That’s embarrassing, ha!

Have a great, sunny weekend :)

Chelsey @ Chew With Your Mouth Open October 8, 2011

Yum, yum, yum! I am not Canadian, but tempted to celebrate just for the food! I live in Washington. That’s close enough right?!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 8, 2011

Oh wow, all of these look fantastic!!! Especially the sweet potato casserole!!

Amber K October 8, 2011

It’s been 5 years (today!) for me and my husband and I still have not changed my last name. Then again, I don’t actually plan to. And the last time I was totally sick of my hair length I tried cutting it myself, yeah…didn’t exactly work, but the only person who ever cuts my hair is my mom and she was busy. I was so tired of it. Never doing that again!

Awesome round-up of Thanksgiving recipes. Have a great weekend!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 8, 2011

Great ideas!! I am definetly making the carrot ginger soup this Monday for Thanksgiving :D

Liz @ Something To Chew On October 8, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! I like the hair idea – I think it’d be super cute, I’m a fan of that style.

I want to eat all of those donuts…they look so great!

Gypsy October 8, 2011

I love the holiday soup and make it all the time – I usually roast some kind of squash in the oven and then cut that up and add it in – everyone loves it!

As for your lob: I say, go for it! I constantly cut and grow my hair out. The thing with that haircut though is that you really have to take a bit more time to style it –
You might find that you like longer hair better but it’s no big deal because hair grows :)

Happy Thanksgiving

Rachel @ Rachel's Delicious Journey Blog October 8, 2011

Your recipes are just incredible! I have to try something new from your list this week x

melissa gillan October 8, 2011

happy thanksgiving, after seeing all this delicious food i am beginning to think today is our thanksgiving in the states!! well maybe i will just make all the food today anyways as a “trial run” hehe

char @ char on a mission October 8, 2011

I want to make that sweet potato casserole asap. I was googling a vegan one the other day and (naturally) yours came up and then you went and put it in this post – I better get on it! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jessica October 8, 2011

I really want to try me that pumpkin butter! <<–what am I a barbarian?! LOL

In that case…love Oh She Glow! :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 8, 2011

Gah I’m in desperate need of a haircut right now! It’s been months. I also hate getting my oil changed. Usually my boyfriend and I do it, when I have to go to the shop it costs over $50!

Hayley @ Oat Couture October 8, 2011

Ooh a long bob would look amazing on you!! And it will still be long enough so as not to shock you too much! I actually find it pretty therapeutic having a big chop! If that makes sense?! :)

Maria October 8, 2011

I got married last month and I’m in the process of changing my name right now – I can see why you waited so long. What a hassle! My attempts to get my husband to change his last name to mine did not work out :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Alisha October 8, 2011

I am so excited to try some of these!!! Yum!

Lori October 8, 2011

Hi, just wondering best way to make the sweet potato casserole ahead to bring to a potluck? Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

You could probably bake it in the oven ahead of time and then heat it in the oven (covered with tinfoil?) I havent tried that but that’s what I would try if I did :)

Lori October 10, 2011

Thanks! It worked! Everyone LOVED it. huge hit.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 8, 2011

Yes get your passport updated pronto…that way you can not only go to the States but on any other exotic trips that call your name or just come up. You never know when a fabulous opportunity may strike :)

And oil changes and meal planning…right there with you. Ugh!

The brownie and pumpkin spice donut relinks…ahhh, calling my name. Big.Time.

And I remember when you made 7 lentil loaves and finally got it right, just a few lentils later :)

I hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving!!

Amy @ purewellnessamy October 8, 2011

First, Happy Thanksgiving! Second, this pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream frosting is hands-down the best vegan dessert I’ve ever made. I’m bringing it to a non-vegan dinner party tonight and I can’t wait to see their faces once they taste it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2011

wow that’s awesome to hear! Have fun at your party :)

TS October 8, 2011

My family never made a traditional Thanksgiving meal (we refuse to do tofurkey), so we always just ate normal. Now I’m totally inspired to go all out this year! And, being in the US, I actually have time to plan =) Thanks for the ideas…although I’m not doing the donut…I always burn those :-/ A burnt donut is still a donut, right????

Melissa October 8, 2011

Made your pumpkin spice doughnuts to take home to the parents this weekend… had to taste test a few haha I really hope they actually make it home.. I should probably put them in the trunk so I’m not tempted during the drive!
Thanksgiving always means cashew loaf for us, but I definitely want to try your lentil loaf soon..

Go for the long bob… it’s not a HUGE change, and the best thing about hair – nothing’s permanent. I’m really spoiled though, my boyfriend is a hair stylist :)

Happy thanksgiving!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 8, 2011

my husband and i are hosting t-giving for the firs time this year. serving dinner to 12! thanks for the ideas :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 8, 2011

Wonderful ideas! :) I can’t wait to host Thanskgiving some day and get to do cool things like this!

Page 1 of 3123»