Pumpkin Maple Baked Bean Cornbread Casserole

IMG_2692

I always say the best recipes follow the worst disasters. And that’s just what happened yesterday. Because if one more thing went wrong, I was debating putting up a ‘Closed, please come again’ sign on the blog all Thanksgiving weekend.

The first step was admitting that I’m all baked out at the moment, which probably means I won’t bake for 3 long days before I’m desperate to bake something again. Cooking tends to be less risky when creating new recipes anyways. It’s not an exact science and I get to be careless and wild.

Add an extra tablespoon of milk by mistake? There are bigger problems. Dump an extra 3/4 cup of vegetables into the pot? I encourage it. Spill the container of salt in the pot? Ok, that’s bad. You know I’ve been there. And scooping off the salt on top…it doesn’t help one bit.

The more I think about it, the more I really love to cook. Salt spills and all.

IMG_2675

This casserole is inspired by Jessica’s Chili cornbread pasta bake as well as Ashley’s version.

IMG_2655

I decided to play around with my Maple Baked Beans recipe and it turned out fantastic. The old version is a slow cooker version, but I wanted to create one that could come together in just 15 minutes. I also added some pumpkin and a touch of cinnamon for a seasonal kick!

Boy, was I glad I did. And I saved my pumpkin from growing hair over the weekend.

As I tasted and cooked, I kept saying something was missing. I tried adding just 1 tablespoon of ketchup and it all came together perfectly. Surprisingly, this was not Eric’s idea but I think he’s rubbing off on me!

IMG_2658

The cornbread comes together in just a few minutes.

I spread the bean mixture into a 2.3L greased casserole dish.

IMG_2661

The cornbread layer went on top!

IMG_2662

Then I baked it for about 35-40 minutes until golden. Cook time will vary based on the size of dish you use.

IMG_2669

Sweet, Sweet casserole we have a winner.

IMG_2684

Comfort food to the max.

IMG_2691

Some things to note:

1) I suggest serving this immediately for best results. I tried reheating it in the microwave and it was still good, but keep in mind that the beans soften the cornbread with time. It’s best served immediately.

2) If you plan on bringing this somewhere for Thanksgiving, here’s what I would do: Prepare the bean mixture on the stove top at home and scoop it into your casserole dish. Add your DRY cornbread ingredients into a large zip-lock bag. In a jar or leak-proof container, add your milk and oil (unless of course you can get these two ingredients where you are going!). Once you arrive, all you have to do is mix the wet and dry cornbread ingredients, spread on top of beans, and bake. Just an idea!

3) Can I bake the cornbread on its own? Updates: I baked the oat flour and almond flour version on its own and it was quite crumbly, so I will need to work on the GF version more. I also tried using spelt flour and it held together quite well, but it wasn’t the best tasting version. More testing required! I also plan on making a pumpkin cornbread too.

4) I made the bean mixture the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It saved time and also helped the flavours develop a bit more.

5) The cornbread is quite thick- about twice the size of the bean mixture when baked. We didn’t mind it one bit (I actually preferred lots of cornbread), but I thought I would mention it in case you have different expectations.

IMG_2699

For my Canadian readers celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend, have a great one! If you’re looking for last minute Thanksgiving recipes, check out my post from last year for lots of ideas. If you’re not celebrating, I still encourage you to make this casserole!

We’re off to my in laws tomorrow, with vegan food in tow. It’s a good thing they already know I’m crazy.

Page 3 of 3«123
Lauren November 19, 2016

Wow this looks awesome! Do you think I could omit the molasses if I don’t have that? And any thoughts on using coconut flour for the cornbread since that is what I have in the house? Thanks :)!

Sam September 22, 2016

I just made this today, It is lovely! Such a perfect fall recipe! Thanks <3

Angela Liddon September 23, 2016

So glad it was a hit, Sam!

Ruth April 23, 2016

Making this aging today. It is one of my favorites!! While I know this is more of fall dish, in my home spring is time to clear out the freezer, and I still have a ton of pumpkin in there from last year’s garden!!

Maria December 16, 2015

This recipe looks so delicious! Would it be alright to replace the oil in the corn bread portion of the recipe with apple sauce? Thanks!

rachel November 16, 2015

Hey thinking about making this amazingggg looking casserole for Thanksgiving this year! Do you think all purpose flour will work? and Im also thinking about subbing the oil for applesauce (we don’t eat oils in my house) do you think this will work?

Thanks angela :)

Maria December 16, 2015

Hi Rachel! Did the applesauce work when you tried it out? Thanks! :-)

Morgan November 14, 2015

This is excellent! It’s in the oven now and puffing nicely. The beans part is terrific – never thought to put pumpkin in with baked beans but it’s a nutritious, smooth, lovely something that tastes divine. Thanks for a great comfort food fall recipe!

Noreen October 15, 2015

I am eating the last of the leftovers for lunch as I write this. It was wonderful! and so easy to make. I really appreciate the tip about making it ahead – – it made all the difference and was so flavorful. Thank you for sharing!

Jhon July 23, 2015

Wow! Thank you!

Just made it and it’s beyond delicious. Truly. What a treat!

I added a little bit of baking powder and two flax eggs (2 tbsp ground/6 tbsp water, then set in freezer for about 10 mins), and used coconut sugar instead of molasses for the beans. Also used whole wheat and spelt flour. The cornbread fluffed up beautifully and has great consistency. We couldn’t stop eating.

Grateful for all that you share!

Robin March 23, 2015

I just cooked up a huge batch of great northern beans and this sounds like a delicious way to use them! About how many cups do you think I’ll need?

Thanks!

Amber Henry November 24, 2014

I really love your recipes, they are all the flavours I absolutely adore. I made this with some substitutions simply because I did not have some of the ingredients. I made it as a 3 bean version (Kidney, Chickpea, and Black) along with half spelt and half reg. flour. It was very forgiving as I used coconut milk and I forgot 1/4 – 1/2 of it. Turned out as a biscuit topping rather than bread. Even with all my “What’s on Hand” subs it was amazing . The flavouring was bang on.

Roxy April 22, 2014

Yummmm! I made this tonight and loved it. The cornbread topping has a great texture and really partners well with the beans. Easy to put together, hearty, a great meal for a cold rainy day. I highly recommend this!

Trina December 28, 2013

I tried this and it was delicious but how would you go about making it not as sweet???

Arwen December 3, 2013

This is one of my new ALL-TIME FAVORITE comfort foods. Amazing. So good. Thank you!!

Rachel October 3, 2013

It’s been a while since you posted this but I made this last night as it is very chilly and gloomy right now in Alberta… as soon as I stirred all the ingredients up in the pot the smell was incredible and it tasted delicious! My daughter really like it too because of the sweetness. Yum yum yum… :))))

Laurin September 22, 2013

So I made this and it turned out super yummy! Just some notes: I had trouble spooning the cornbread onto the mix and my cornbread came out uneven and not super fluffy. Not pretty or intended, but it tasted great and I am sure this was due to a user error ;)

Hannah April 8, 2013

As an Aussie the notion of sweet beans seems a little bit odd. I made this with half the syrup and molasses and 2/3rds of the sugar in the cornbread. I would use even less next time. That said, this was so easy and flavoursome! I’ve never had cornbread before, loved it!

Jen January 9, 2013

So far I only have the baked beans done… But this recipe can’t go wrong from here! These are phenomenal!!! Thank you, thank you for all of your site’s deliciousness!!!

Emma December 16, 2012

So pleased I made this for supper last night- it was really really good :) Me and my omni Mum and boyfriend all devoured it. Paired with a green salad it actually came together really quickly, especially since I halved it so cooking time was reduced.

Nigelle November 20, 2012

Do you think coconut oil could be subbed for the olive oil?

Liz October 20, 2012

I made this last night for dinner. It IS amazing!! Yum! I’ll definitely make it again!

Rachel October 18, 2012

I have made this recipe twice now– once with great northern beans (delicious!) and once with pinto beans (still good, but I wouldn’t recommend them as the ideal choice for this dish). Both times I used whole wheat flour for the cornbread and substituted 2.5 tbsp brown sugar and an additional 1 tbsp maple syrup for the molasses. All the flavors really come through, and I love the cranberries for a little extra tartness. Using the whole wheat flour for the cornbread makes it thick and a little drier, but that means that my leftovers have been amazing– not too soggy at all.

Brooke W September 8, 2012

Angela, I’ve been reading your blog for over a year now. I finally got around to making this recipe tonight for my husband and I for dinner. I have to say it was AMAZING! Thank you for such a healthy and comforting recipe!