Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on October 5, 2011

IMG_2628

Leftovers are the best.

A “free”, delicious meal without the work? I’ll take it.

Unless of course you don’t know what to do with the leftovers and they die a slow death in the fridge. One day you walk into the kitchen gasping, “What IS that smell!?” only to open the fridge and find those leftovers, shoved to the back of the fridge to die.

My casserole now needs a hair cut and the black beans have morphed into stink bombs.

It happens to the best of us.

I vowed to use up my roasted squash leftover from my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe! Last night, I found a recipe for a Red Lentil Squash Curry on Martha and used that as my inspiration for this stew. With my butternut already roasted this meal came together in about 25 minutes.

Leftovers turned into a new recipe? Even better.

IMG_2617

You start by sautéing a sweet onion and a few cloves of minced garlic. After about 5 minutes or so, add in your curry powder.

IMG_2606

Next comes 1 container of broth. If you are using a low-sodium broth like I did, you will need to add more salt and vice versa.

IMG_2608

In goes 1 cup of red lentils.

IMG_2614

Cook this mixture over medium heat for about 10 minutes until it thickens up.

IMG_2625

Now stir in your cooked butternut and some greens if you’d like. I simply used what was leftover from my Butternut Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe. If you have uncooked butternut to use, check out Martha’s recipe for cooking instructions.

IMG_2627

Cook another 5 minutes and serve!

IMG_2628

A quick, stick-to-your-bones stew with a kick of heat.

IMG_2637

And that 5-minute cheeze sauce recipe I promised you? It’s still in my test kitchen. There’s a chance it could die there.

tweal October 5, 2011 at 9:04 am

This sounds really great – I love clever recipes that use up leftovers! And there’s something about red lentils that just screams ‘fall comfort food’ to me.

Molly October 5, 2011 at 9:06 am

I love when the inspiration hits and leftovers can be transformed into entirely new meals. Plus, the cooking time is almost always halfway done when you start.

With all the amazing shapes and sizes of squash just now showing up at our market, I’m bound to find myself in a similar roasted leftover situation. I’m looking forward to trying out your delicious looking stew.

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab October 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

“My casserole now needs a hair cut” love the expression :D

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Did this make your house smell like Mumbai and hugs? I want some.

Cleaneats February 2, 2015 at 5:07 pm

This was reallllly yummy. I added some chopped turmeric for extra yumminess. My house did smell like mumbai but I opened some windows and lit some candles and it was pretty much gone. Thank you for this delicious recipe!

JL goes Vegan October 5, 2011 at 9:15 am

Lentils and squash are a match made in heaven! I love how fresh and simple you have made it!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 5, 2011 at 9:16 am

This gives me ideas! I just bought butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash yesterday…I may be squashed out soon :)

Kate October 5, 2011 at 9:21 am

yummm curry and butternut squash is so incredibly comforting!

Rachel October 5, 2011 at 9:23 am

Yum! Lentils & curry is one of my favorite combinations – squash can only make it better.

Emily October 5, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m not a huge fan of curry…how do you think it would taste if I used cumin instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 10:51 am

You could try adding a little bit at a time and maybe some crushed red pepper flakes if you want it to have a kick?

John October 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Indian cuisine rarely if ever uses commercial “curry powder.” Cumin is on the right track, but you need to supplement with other spices. A great combo:

ground coriander
cumin
ground ginger (I never skimp on this)
touch of cinnamon
cardamom (green or brown or both, the exquisitest Indian spice–just inhale it)
fenugreek
finally, a touch (barest touch) of asafoetida powder (great with lentils)

You should add some chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves at the end. Perfect complement to a curry

Erin April 18, 2014 at 11:18 am

That’s super helpful. Thanks for sharing this.

Heather (heathers dish) October 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

I agree about leftovers…better and easier meals do not exist!

Tasty Yummies - Gluten-free, Fresh and Whole October 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

This looks so incredible. I have been so obsessed with all of these things lately. Lentils, squash, curry, greens. All scream fall to me. This dish is kind of a mashup of 2 dishes I have made this past week. I made lentil soup one night, then loaded the crock pop up with butternut squash curry with spinach and chickpeas a few nights later.

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

I promise you I am making this this weekend, I could not think of anything more perfect for fall :) Thank you for the recipe Angela!

Kris | iheartwellness.com October 5, 2011 at 10:00 am

You my gorgeous friend have ALL MY Fall Meals here! I can’t wait to try all of these!! We need to live closer or have a meet up so you can feed me ;) LOL

xxoo

Jaclyn T October 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yumness!

–Jaclyn T
Nature Inspired Jewellery

Angela @ PattycakesnPancakes October 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had butternut squash but Now I’ve got to go find some. :-)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

Oh the death of the cheese sauce. Don’t give up! Believe in the power of cheese! hehe I have a lot of things that don’t work out. I set the recipe down after testing it a billion times and come back to it a week later.
Case in point – the low fat, gluten-free carrot cupcakes I’ve been working on for the last 2 weeks. I’ll get it. I’ll get it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 10:51 am

haha :) I think I finally got it how I want it, but I need to actually test it on food as opposed to my spatula ;)
Goodluck with the cupcakes! GF is hard stuff.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 5, 2011 at 10:47 am

I need to try this lentil and squash combo! Looks fab :D

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 5, 2011 at 10:57 am

That looks delicious, and a great idea for left-overs! I find myself a little over-ambitious when it comes to figuring out how much squash I can consume… This will be helpful! Haha

Diane October 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

What is the difference between and red lentil and the normal greenish colored ones I see in the store?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Red lentils are smaller, thinner, and take much less time to cook.

Diane October 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Thanks so much! I enjoy your blog and recipes so much, You are inspired me and I am enjoying cooking again. I made your salt and vinegar chick peas last night….AMAZING!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Glad you are enjoying the recipes Diane! Thank you!

Linda October 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

I am not a vegan but hot damn this looks delicious. The only problem is the cooked butternut sqaush bit, they scare me, don’t know why but they do.

Lori October 5, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Angela, This looks lovely. Don’t give up on your cheeze sauce- you can do it :) I just want to take a moment to thank you for posting all your wonderful recipes! You are a big inspiration and your blog is one of the first places I go to for my weekly recipes, which makes my life easier and healthier. So on behalf of me and my family, thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Thank you Lori!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 5, 2011 at 11:46 am

Do you think this would work with green lentils? I have everything at home to make this if I can sub the green lentils for the red. :)

Five minute cheeze sauce?!?! Fingers crossed that it turns out! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I can’t see why not. It will take longer to cook though!

John October 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Moong beans would be great too, but they also will take a little longer to cook. Indians love moong beans and they make the best dhal.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 5, 2011 at 11:50 am

I have all the ingredients for this in my house already! Except my squash isn’t roasted. Fantastic recipe!! Will definitely be made this week :D

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Two of my fave foods in one dish! LOOOOVE! Also congrats on your food buzz noms! I voted for ya!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Thank you!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life October 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Yum! I’m going to link to this post on my Friday post which is for butternut squash soup. I wanted a recipe I could recommend for people to use up any leftover squash. And I love lentils :).

Moni'sMeals October 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

sounds great! so comforting and healthy. I love red lentils too. We have RAIN today so this just sounds lovely. :)

Julie October 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

WOW. I just bought red lentils yesterday :)
Stupid question: where do you find some kale? It’s like grocery stores in my region don’t carry it…maybe because Québécois aren’t into it!? :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm

It can be hard to find. You can easily sub in spinach which would be lovely. :)
The kale is from my garden

Nutrition Nut on the Run October 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm

love the festive, fall header!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thanks hun!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl October 5, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Died and gone to Heaven. Yum in a picture. :)

[email protected] KatieDid October 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Are you still working through your garden of kale? I’ve never been more jealous of someone’s garden before… This soup looks so comforting :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Yes it’s never ending! lol
Please come over and take 10 garbage bags

TeenyLittleSuperChef October 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Well I know what I’ll be making for dinner tonight. I have a huge half of kabocha squash just screaming to be cooked, and this stew will be the perfect use for it. Do you think it could be made in the slow cooker too? If so, how long and should I cook the squash first?

[email protected] October 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I love all these soup and stew recipes in the blog world! “Stick to your ribs” is my favorite kind. And I’ve yet to have any butternut yet this season.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen October 5, 2011 at 12:35 pm

HELLO COMFORT!!! This looks so delicious and cozy.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 5, 2011 at 12:47 pm

This sounds like it calls for some Arvindas curry powder!! And about squash – sometimes I think the leftover roasted kind is better than fresh out of the oven! This sounds so delicious and warming – not to mention budget friendly too. Bonus! :)

Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’ve been craving curry and squash all week but have been lacking in inspiration – thanks for taking care of that part for me! I might use coconut milk instead of broth though (or a combo) because the craving also includes coconut milk :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm

This looks like creamy risotto! Yum.

Geosomin October 5, 2011 at 1:12 pm

this looks insanely good…

Angela October 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

You just reminded me that I had half a butternut squash in the fridge. Unfortunately it hadn’t made it and is now resting peacefully in the bin :(

The stew looks yummy though. The weather has turned here so it’s just the sort of thing I feel like eating.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Leftovers are the best! Not time consuming and cooking a breeze. This stew is perfect fall comfort food :)

Carissa October 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I love how thick the stew got. It has the perfect look for fall weather – thick and comforting but still bright colors.

GrainFreeGroupie October 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

this looks awesome! anything with curry and lentils = yum!

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

always looking for fall comfort food recipes and this one fits the bill! i’ve actually never cooked with curry, but what better time than now?!

Ashley October 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Lentils and curry are such a great combo!! Too funny about the leftovers…I was just talking to my mom about how we LOVE leftovers. I could eat the same meal for lunch and dinner the very next day and probably again the next, if there is any still left. My dad is weird about leftovers and sometimes Chris is too. Typically Chris likes them, but not more than 2x in a row. MEN!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

This looks so hearty and so good!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Leftovers are the best, indeed!

I always say, cook once, eat twice. May as well make extras b/c I also say that planned leftovers save sanity. Those times when a kid is crabby, a mom is frazzled (who me? never…haha), or you just dont have time/energy to get a brand new meal started, leftovers save the day.

Your stew looks perfect. And impressive that you made it last night and less than 12 hours later you have edited pics, a recipe typed, and the blog post up. Bravo!

Karina October 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I absolutely love your blog! You are an inspiration!
What kind of curry powder you use (or do you consider ‘good quality’)?
I haven’t been able to find a powder curry that I love yet.
Thank you!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

how very delicious!!

Sara October 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Sometimes I cook things just to have leftovers; they are the best. I have a bunch of lentils sitting around so this is great. I always pair curry with butternut and I would probably put nooch all over this :)

Zestful Lou October 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Hey Sara!

I think you put nooch on everything. I think I deserve a thank you for being the one to tell you to buy it in the first place!

Zestful Lou October 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

It’s raining cats and dogs here and this would cure my weary soul.

Rainy day schedule means being cooped up in the classroom all day with my students. I think we all had a little cabin fever!

stella ~ shiny yoga* October 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm

red lentils? gimme some of that! xoxo

Sydney October 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

oohhhhh emmm gee! So unfair that I am looking at this while I am at work (and hungry!) It looks AH-MAZING

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm

As a rule, I never buy an ingredient unless I can think of multiple ways to use it. I hate letting food go to waste in my fridge!

This recipe looks great! I’m going to add it to my ever-expanding list of recipes I want to make this fall. Your butternut mac and cheeze is on there too. :D

Ingunn October 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm

I saw this recipe and went straight to the store to pick up a butternut squash so I could make it for dinner today – I just had my first taste and it’s awesome. Thanks for the recipe, this one’s a keeper!

Neta October 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm

This was wonderful! But your dishes always come out much more colorful than mine :/

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

Sorry I can be a bit heavy handed with Lightroom I think!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I love butter nut squash and red lentils, this sounds amazing!

[email protected] October 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

This looks so delicious! I love pumpkin!

Christina October 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Amazing … I just bought butternut squash and was going to make my regular butternut squash soup, but now I’m so torn! SO many great recipes on your website – my husband has even started to ask what’s on your blog each day! He’s loving the variety (although he’s getting tired of roasted tomatoes but I can’t get enough of them!!!) LOL thanks!!

mi-an dela cruz October 5, 2011 at 10:23 pm

i just finished my roasted butternut squash also! half i made a bnut and fennel soup, i added the soup in milled topped with the roasted bnut and some goatcheese and dried cranberries….aaahhmazing!! then i saw your bnut squash cheesy recipe so all i did was added nutrtional yeast in my leftover bnut fennel soup, poured of brown rice pasta, mixed it all in with kale, and baked it for a pasta bake.omgg amaaazing too! :)) i have my last pasta for tomorrow and i can’t wait to make it again. :)

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy October 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I. Love. This. Recipe. Can’t wait till it starts to snow so I actually crave these warm wintery foods :)

Jame October 6, 2011 at 1:31 am

This is awesome with a bit of cayenne and a splash of coconut milk. :)

Kristy H October 6, 2011 at 1:37 am

Yumm! this looks so good and i have all the ingredients including leftover roast squash. This is going to be my dinner tonight. Thanks!

Kristy H October 6, 2011 at 2:19 am

OMG! just made this and the house smells incredible, so comforting and tasty.

Miriam @ Sometimes I Veg October 6, 2011 at 5:29 am

I have gotten to the point where I will simply cook extra veggies because I know I can throw them into a stew or something if we don’t use them all. That stew looks delectable.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 6, 2011 at 6:36 am

Great recipe for me to use that bag of lentils I bought with no real purpose other than “hey, I should try lentils sometime!” (They were about to be relagated to my candle dish for a Fall filler around my new Fall candles!)

Michaela October 6, 2011 at 7:21 am

I am seriously going to buy butternut squash today!
That looks soooo good!
And I am so happy about your foodbuzz nomination :)

Katrina October 6, 2011 at 7:24 am

Love this! It sounds perfect.

Rachael @ FreshlyMinted October 6, 2011 at 7:58 am

Leftovers made-over are the BEST! We always seem to have them with just two people in the house.

Thanks for the red lentil tip….I bough them for the first time the other day, but when I tried to use them in one of my usual recipes, all I got was mush! I know better, now :)

Beth - Tasty Yummies October 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

This looks so incredible. I have been so obsessed with all of these things lately. Lentils, squash, curry, greens. Such fall ingredients! This dish is kind of a mashup of 2 dishes I have made this past week – I made lentil soup one night, then loaded the crock pop up with butternut squash curry with spinach and chickpeas a few nights later. I’ll definitely have to try this recipe out, thanks for sharing!

Izzy October 6, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi Angela I made the pumpkin butter, it tastes yummy but mine seems much thicker than your picture?? I had to blob mine in with a spoon your picture looks like it actually runs in the jar. Does look more appealing, wonder what i did different???? For a gift yours looks much nicer!! Any thoughts?

michelle October 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

This looks so good! I love the challenge of changing up left overs.

Alexia @ NamasteYoga October 7, 2011 at 5:16 am

the stew looks great! i have been living of red lentils here in India. You can make such great stews, soups and curries with them! I’m just missing KALE!!

Amanda - RunToTheFinish October 8, 2011 at 5:14 am

That looks totally delicious and actually pretty darn easy! I agree leftovers are wonderful, but sometimes it’s fun to remake them when you have a huge batch. This is a great idea

Meg October 10, 2011 at 7:43 am

I made this this weekend – it was super delicious! I baked the squash earlier in the day as I was puttering around the house so, at dinnertime, this came together very quickly. Instead of kale, I added some frozen spinach.

Diane October 10, 2011 at 8:48 am

This is wonderful! I made it last night – my first time ever eating curry by the way! Wow! I was amazed an easy recipe (I had left over squash from making the butternut squash mac & cheese) and it is absolutely delicious. I have left overs for lunch today…can’t wait!!!

Artemesia October 15, 2011 at 12:15 am

This recipe looks great! I have been planning on making a curry this weekend. I will definitely try this recipe. Thanks!
www.artemesiaskitchen.com

Erin October 17, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I made this tonight and it was absolutely AMAZING! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

So happy to hear that Erin :) Mine kept for almost a week, I was surprised how long it lasted in the fridge!

Lisle October 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I made this tonight with green lentils, rapini, and extra ginger. I’m eating it right now and it’s delicious!! Thanks for another great recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I’m happy that you liked the stew! Enjoy

Katie October 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Yum! Making this now….so far so good! I am also using leftover squash from your original mac n’ cheese recipe. Can’t wait for my herbivore cookbook!

Ruby November 9, 2011 at 8:01 am

I made this last night! I added mushrooms and extra spinach, and left some of the squash a little chunky. It was delicious, and so easy to make, and all in 1 pot! Thanks for the great recipe :) This one’s a keeper.

Charles J Brent November 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

From what I can see, I’m the 1st male to post a comment on this page – I’ll consider it an accomplishment!

Great recipe, and website – a real treasure trove of recipes.

Many thanks.

Charles

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks Charles…it’s nice to see a man around here! ;)

Ashley October 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I just made your roasted butternut encrusted Parmesan and had some squash leftover (it was a huge squash!) and I’m currently making this soup for lunch, perfect for this chilly afternoon. Thanks!

Yoselin November 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I just made this and it was fantastic!!! Thank you so much for the recipe, it is very hearty and just delicious. I did it with regular lentils, didn’t have red ones. Thanks again.

katie November 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Love this blog! Having a great time trying out all the recipes, and this one’s next on the list!
A tip: If you DON’T have leftover squash and don’t want to wait around for it to roast, just stick it into your slow cooker earlier in the day, the squash will be roasted by the time you’re ready to make the recipe!

Sally November 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Made this Red Lentil and Squash Curry today – easy as advertised and great to eat. This time of year I always have another winter squash (table decorations) to cook and puree and it seems I am never without leftovers either. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lyric November 29, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Do I blend the squash?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

nope there is no need to blend it

Allie December 4, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thank you for this delicious recipe! I enjoy finding new ways to cook squash. I made my stew with kale and mushroom broth-so good!

victoria rizzi December 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

just made this soup and its amazing!! thanks for the recipe!

Eva January 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Just made this this morning. Amazing recipe! I made it just as written, and I used a big handful of spinach in the last few minutes. The house smells so good, and the stew is even better. Thank you!

Marina January 7, 2013 at 1:01 am

Yummy! I tried your additions but with Martha’s cooking order. Seems hers is more watery and my lentils came out a little tougher than I expected but loved the flavors and addition of greens. Thanks!

Tiffany January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Making this now! Can’t wait to try it. I made my butternut squash yesterday. It was the first time I had ever tried it and it was delish! Thanks for the great recipes!

megan March 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I am making this tonight! So excited:)

Laurie March 14, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Doing my first detox and this was fresh enough to eat during it!!! So delish!!!

julia matsis May 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

This evening I made the Red Lentil and Squash Curry Stew. I roasted the butternut squash first (following your Mac and Cheese recipe instructions) and used Curly Kale as my green veg. The addition of the ginger at the end elevated the flavour to a whole new zingy level. No leftovers for me tomorrow as the rest of my family also loved it!!! Thank you again Angela for another great recipe :)))

Kathleen August 30, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I know this recipe is about 2 years old, but I hope you never take it down, it’s my go-to squash soup/stew recipe! I’ve made it many times and LOVE it!

marisa September 16, 2013 at 10:10 am

i made this last night! it was so good. i’ve got a vegetarian kid, a kid who doesn’t handle dairy well (although he still eats it), and a gluten-free foodie boyfriend, so sometimes it’s hard to find recipes. this was awesome.

Amanda September 23, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I made this tonight, and threw in some roasted brussel sprouts and summer squash as well – so delicious. I made a version of this with green lentils last week, but I love how the red lentils get such a creamy texture. A new fall fave!

Anonymous October 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

How large of a squash do you need to buy to get three cups of cooked squash?

Anne October 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

Mine was a large squash, about a foot. I used about 1/4 to a 1/3 of it.

Michael October 20, 2013 at 1:20 am

Wow! This recipe is fantastic–the perfect way to begin the fall season. I had just the right amount of red lentils to make this dish. I’ve never cooked my own butternut squash before, so I was a little nervous, but all my fingers are still intact!

I did make some modifications though. Instead of broth (I’m very low sodium) I just used water. I also did not add the salt/pepper to season. Because I use each spice separately, I didn’t use the curry powder. For this dish, I used coriander, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, and hints of cloves and nutmeg. My greens of choice were spinach.

This recipe already feels like an autumn favorite. I could eat this for weeks. So yummy!

Anne October 20, 2013 at 11:04 am

It’s a great recipe. We made it yesterday. It’s basically a dal with squash. Delicious!! Today we are making the butternut squash chili recipe. We’ve got several gigantic butternut squashes so we may be able to try all 5 recipes.

Carol-Anne January 2, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Oh my God, this must be one of the best things I’ve ever made! :)

My old lentil curry recipe has already suicided into the recycling bin!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2014 at 1:06 pm

hahah omg this comment made me chuckle!

Ron Wilcoxen January 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I loved this! So much that I made it again a couple weeks after the first time. To vary the leftovers a little I added garam masala or some sriracha sauce. I will be making this again. Healthy, delicious and comforting.

Margaret February 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm

I finally had to quit using store-bought broths because I couldn’t find one that agreed with my tummy. Now if I don’t have time to make homemade, I simply replace any called for in a recipe with plain filtered water and add some extra seasoning, like pink Himalayan salt or Bragg’s Aminos. I may be missing some flavor but no longer notice it, and my creations feel more wholesome and home-made to me. But caution to anyone trying it, it may not be your “cup of broth.”

hannah March 5, 2014 at 10:23 pm

This recipe is delicious!!! Very hearty, healthy comfort food.
I subbed red lentils for green lentils and just simmered it for 15 minutes longer and it tastes amazing.
Definitely try this one.

Penny April 24, 2014 at 2:17 pm

I will be making this in the crockpot next week. I will let you know how it turns out!

Sharise C April 30, 2014 at 11:23 am

This was quite nice. The thing I love about stews in general is that they can be so versatile. So just like your adaptation of Martha’s recipe, I adapted yours to what I had on hand. Specifically I used 1 cup of coconut milk in place of broth because it was open and needed to be used. Plus, I just love curry and coconut milk together. I also pre-roasted my squash in the oven and used leeks instead of regular onion. Thanks for a good base recipe, I had to force myself to stop eating it. ;-)

Karey July 30, 2014 at 5:53 am

Did you soak the lentils before cooking them? Or do you just add them in as is… Thanks!

Lauren September 22, 2014 at 3:51 am

Love the sound of this recipe! Do you think it will freeze?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I don’t think I’ve tried freezing it, but I don’t see why not.

michelle October 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Holy cow! This was soo good. I’m making it for the second time tonight, and doubling the recipe this time. The last time I made it, I ate it up in a day. Super quick and left me wanting it again!! Thanks : )

Stephanie October 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Just made this for our meatless meal day. It was awesome! The picky 7-year-old not only ate it, but even asked me what was cooking when it was just onions, garlic and curry powder. Just a tip for parents, while the heat from the curry was minor to the adult palate, you might want to reduce it a bit for kid palates.

coco November 13, 2014 at 7:09 am

Do you have the nutritional facts and serving size? thanks!

Abigail November 29, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Oh my gosh this is delicious. I took a package of Beyond Meat “chicken”, pulsed it in my food processor a few times and added that. WOW. I don’t remember the last time my husband kept talking about how great was dinner long after we’d finished eating. Thanks so much for sharing, this will be a staple in our house for sure!

Linda December 30, 2014 at 6:56 pm

This recipe is amazing!!! My new go to dinner!!

Claudia October 1, 2015 at 8:58 am

Wow, that looks great, must try this, maybe more spicy with chilis and sage – and without curry.

Kirsten January 17, 2016 at 7:59 pm

My partner and I have just started eating vegan (vs. vegetarian) and Oh She Glows has been immensely helpful. Everything we’ve made so far from you site has ended up in the “Tested Keepers” recipe folder.

Last night was the squash and blackbean burrito; tonight was this stew. Both were fantastic, fresh, flavourful, and filling dishes. I don’t normally comment, but these two recipes were remarkably good. We both look forward to working our way through many more of your recipes.

Many thanks!

Andrew Fox February 19, 2016 at 1:34 am

So glad I stumbled upon this just before the winter is out. My wife will be delighted with this. Great idea for a recipe!

Shell May 19, 2016 at 12:48 pm

So I made this recipe last night thinking this is nice and easy…should be good, and Wow! It really packs a punch! I added lots of grated fresh Ginger Root – some finely grated, and some grated heavier as when you’d do carrots – and it was absolutely delicious combined with the curry and veggies, and with lots of zing! My husband wanted a second helping! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

Angela Liddon May 19, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Hey there, I’m so glad the recipe was a hit!! :)

Emily June 8, 2016 at 6:01 pm

LOVE this recipe! So delicious, easy, filling.

Angela Liddon June 8, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Hi Emily, I’m glad you enjoyed it!:)

fiona August 9, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Love the recipies and app. I have been a veggie for years. Recently I have elimated most dairy due to health factors. I made this dish for my lunch during the week but it turned out more like a soup. Is that right? It still tastes good. I added a little cumin as well. I followed the cup measurements exactly.

wendy September 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Lentils and squash sound so wonderful. Something else you can do with left over squash – mashed, is put it in an omlet – delish!

Ali September 28, 2016 at 3:00 pm

I just made this with my leftover roast acorn squash. Totally delicious and doable on a weeknight!!

Nanci January 28, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Yum!!!!! I just made this and it is delicious. A ton of flavor. I added broccoli for some crunch. This is a keeper. Thanks!!!

Angela Liddon January 30, 2017 at 11:55 am

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it, Nanci! I’m sure the broccoli added a great texture to it.

Cari June 11, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Delicious. I added some carrots, and fresh cilantro and 1 jalepeno pepper to spice it up.
Yummy

Ashia November 6, 2017 at 11:00 am

If I wanted to make this in a slow cooker, is it possible to jus add all the ingredients and cook on high for 4-6 hours until butternut squash and lentils are fully cooked? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Hey Ashia, I would suggest sautéing the garlic and onion in a skillet before adding everything into the slow cooker. I tried a similar recipe in the slow cooker and I found the onion still stayed crunchy even with 7 hours of cooking. Slow cookers tend to vary too, so 4 to 6 hours may not be enough time, but that’s easy to play by ear. I found my stew needed about 7-8 hours on high, but it’s an old slow cooker. :) My last tip would be if the recipe calls for greens, to add the greens at the very end of cooking (last 10 mins), as I’ve found when the greens are in the slow cooker for the entire cook time they leave a very greeny flavour to the soup. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Sabrina Cristina December 15, 2017 at 7:11 am

Hello, I am writing a little anti-inflammatory receipt book and I would like to add this delicious one among the others. I don’t have much experience to make my own yet, so I would like to add something from other chefs at the moment. I will send you the link of the book after I finish it, which will be at the end this week. Would it be fine with you? Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2017 at 11:14 am

Hi Sabrina,
If you could contact us through our press email with all the book and request details that would be appreciated!
press[at]ohsheglows[dot]com